BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-06-07 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2198878

Corona, California
Subject: RE: $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people
Perfectly said, Cathy.  Thank you very much.

I rode the longest distance in years today.  We rode a total of 25 miles.  After the frist 11, the group stopped at Starbucks and had coffee and breakfast (neither of which I did).  About 30-45 min. later we headed back.  The ride there was very easy for me, but the ride/route home was a little more challenging.  The group picked up the pace and did not stay together. I am very proud to say that I stayed near the front.  (The entire group was broken into 4 smaller groups, and I rode the the beginners for a shorter/easier ride).  Overall, I enjoyed riding with the group.

Edited by JessRod 2009-06-07 3:54 PM

2009-06-07 5:23 PM
in reply to: #2086538

User image

Pro
NJ
Jess, great that you got out for a group ride. Not only do I feel safer, but it is more fun to ride with others.  Plus, I generally ride farther and faster with others. Good practice for tri's as well. 

As for competing priorities, it is always a challenge.  Nothing to add to Cathy's great advice.  Just do the best you can. 
2009-06-07 5:45 PM

User image

Pro
NJ

Another Central Park run this morning, called The New York Mini 10k.  It's the oldest women's only race, started 38 years ago.  Not sure about the Mini part, since it is 6.2.  Not many costumes today, but some pretty inspiring sights.  In the chutes I was next to Team G'ma.  That was Grandma Judy who was turning 70 this week and running with her daughter and 3 granddaughters.  The #1 finisher in the 75 - 79 age group finished in 52:31....well ahead of me. Also saw a woman in full muslim garb and headress...she had to be so hot, but she was ahead of me the entire race.  Perhaps the most inspiring though was a women who'd lost one leg from the knee down and was running with crutches. 

2009-06-09 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2200524

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
kcarroll - 2009-06-07 6:45 PM

In the chutes I was next to Team G'ma.  That was Grandma Judy who was turning 70 this week and running with her daughter and 3 granddaughters.  The #1 finisher in the 75 - 79 age group finished in 52:31....well ahead of me.

that is awesome.  Lisa B and I raced this weekend where the last finisher was 88 years old.  His goal is to become the first person to ever race in his 90s.  He said he only knows of 2 other people out there. 
2009-06-09 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Life has interferred with my training the last few days and I missed a few workouts including Sunday's long bike.  I should be back on track today starting with a run after work and then a swim and long run tomorrow. 
I wish it would warm up around here so I could get in some OWS but I've reluctently renewed my gym membership so I continue to have pool access. I do plan at least once per week OWS in July and Aug.

Hope everyone is doing well.  (A couple of our group members seem to be MIA).
2009-06-09 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2204533

User image

Davenport, IA
cathyd - 2009-06-09 8:41 AM Life has interferred with my training the last few days and I missed a few workouts including Sunday's long bike.  I should be back on track today starting with a run after work and then a swim and long run tomorrow. 
I wish it would warm up around here so I could get in some OWS but I've reluctently renewed my gym membership so I continue to have pool access. I do plan at least once per week OWS in July and Aug.

Hope everyone is doing well.  (A couple of our group members seem to be MIA).

That happened in my last group as well.  Life has a way of interfering with things sometimes...glad you'll be able to get back to the training.

2009-06-09 7:58 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
I am seriously behind on the bike.  Every missed bike workout seemed reasonable at the time (thunderstorms, working late, etc) but this is getting ridiculous. I may have to pull the trainer out of the basement just to take away all the excuses.  I need to get my arse on the bike. Have my nephew's 8th grade graduation this weekend (when did 8th grade merit graduation?) so not sure I'll get anything more than running done yet again.  Have a race in less than two weeks and am probably going to get my A$$ kicked.  It's a small informal race but a fast crowd and I could be a serious contender for the last finisher.
2009-06-11 7:09 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
You all sure are quiet out there.  I know you have questions or things you want discuss......
2009-06-11 4:32 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
I'll jump in with one.  I must have been a girl scout in a previous life or am just a born packrat.  I know I have waaay too much stuff in my transition bag.  I like to carry back ups of socks/glasses/tubes/CO2/gu gu and more gu/plastic bags etc etc and of course have the requisite roll of duct tape.  This makes me very popular with my forgetful friends, but I think I need to pare down.  What do you pack?
2009-06-11 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2211680

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
kcarroll - 2009-06-11 5:32 PM I'll jump in with one.  I must have been a girl scout in a previous life or am just a born packrat.  I know I have waaay too much stuff in my transition bag.  I like to carry back ups of socks/glasses/tubes/CO2/gu gu and more gu/plastic bags etc etc and of course have the requisite roll of duct tape.  This makes me very popular with my forgetful friends, but I think I need to pare down.  What do you pack?

That might be one of the funniest questions I have ever received....and a very good one.

In my transition bag, I always have the following:

Spare pair of goggles
Extra gu
Extra CO2
Spare tube
Electrical tape
Scissors
Multi tool
Electrolytes
zip-lock bag

I keep all of this in a grocery bag so that it stays organized.  I keep these only for emergencies.  They do not appear in transition if I can help it.  In fact, I try my hardest to take my bag out of transition and put it in my car.  The less cluttered transition is, the faster you get through it.  I believe in the philosophy of only taking in what you are going to use. 
2009-06-11 8:34 PM
in reply to: #2204533

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
cathyd - 2009-06-09 9:41 AM  (A couple of our group members seem to be MIA).

Hi guys - I am one of the MIA - mine is more than anything cause my hamstring has taken me out of action and I'm not in the best place mentally and have been finding it hard to participate on BT whole heartedly.  I think I mentioned a little over 3 weeks ago that during Ptree City Oly my butt/hamstring started hurting during the run.  And if I recall correctly Andrew told me in this forum to keep an eye on it and be careful (of course he was right!).  It only hurt to run and I kept thinking it would go away and ran through it.  Had cut my run back to 2-3 short runs a week and figured I'd be ok.  During and after running it would get pretty sore than fade for the 2-3 days I wouldn't run and then, BAM, back it would come.  Last Thursday I realized that it wasn't going away and I needed to get it taken care of.  Did "one" more race this past Saturday (couldn't help myself! and placed 2nd in my AG!).  Didn't hurt much during the run but I'm thinking that was more adrenalin than anything.  Sunday I couldn't do my bike ride cause it was too sore.

Fast forward to this week.  Went to an Otho on Monday who said I had a hamstring strain, gave me a cortisone shot and told me not to run for at least 2 weeks and go to rehab.  I already had an appointment for Tuesday with a Dr here that is a big sponsor of lots of the races in town who does ART and GRASTON and is considered to be a "miracle worker".  He worked on me Tuesday and I went back today for a second treatment and have appointments to go 2x a week for the next 3-4 weeks.  

I have a race I signed up for this weekend that I am skipping  (local guy who puts on the races around here is letting me transfer to another race at my choice!).   Next race I am signed up for is Aflac Iron Girl on 6/28 and I am going to do that one no matter what (even if I have to walk by G-d cause I found out that it is being taped for NBC and there are 5 Pros racing it!)   But I hope I won't have to walk and can at least "job".

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble.  I am going to do what I am told so that I can participate in my A race (Augusta 70.3) end of September! Big Picture...............

2009-06-11 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2212134

User image

Davenport, IA
Lisa B - 2009-06-11 8:34 PM
cathyd - 2009-06-09 9:41 AM  (A couple of our group members seem to be MIA).

Hi guys - I am one of the MIA - mine is more than anything cause my hamstring has taken me out of action and I'm not in the best place mentally and have been finding it hard to participate on BT whole heartedly.  I think I mentioned a little over 3 weeks ago that during Ptree City Oly my butt/hamstring started hurting during the run.  And if I recall correctly Andrew told me in this forum to keep an eye on it and be careful (of course he was right!).  It only hurt to run and I kept thinking it would go away and ran through it.  Had cut my run back to 2-3 short runs a week and figured I'd be ok.  During and after running it would get pretty sore than fade for the 2-3 days I wouldn't run and then, BAM, back it would come.  Last Thursday I realized that it wasn't going away and I needed to get it taken care of.  Did "one" more race this past Saturday (couldn't help myself! and placed 2nd in my AG!).  Didn't hurt much during the run but I'm thinking that was more adrenalin than anything.  Sunday I couldn't do my bike ride cause it was too sore.

Fast forward to this week.  Went to an Otho on Monday who said I had a hamstring strain, gave me a cortisone shot and told me not to run for at least 2 weeks and go to rehab.  I already had an appointment for Tuesday with a Dr here that is a big sponsor of lots of the races in town who does ART and GRASTON and is considered to be a "miracle worker".  He worked on me Tuesday and I went back today for a second treatment and have appointments to go 2x a week for the next 3-4 weeks.  

I have a race I signed up for this weekend that I am skipping  (local guy who puts on the races around here is letting me transfer to another race at my choice!).   Next race I am signed up for is Aflac Iron Girl on 6/28 and I am going to do that one no matter what (even if I have to walk by G-d cause I found out that it is being taped for NBC and there are 5 Pros racing it!)   But I hope I won't have to walk and can at least "job".

Anyway, thanks for listening to me ramble.  I am going to do what I am told so that I can participate in my A race (Augusta 70.3) end of September! Big Picture...............

Sorry to hear about your hammy.  Injuries are no fun at all.  Hopefully the ART helps you out.  It helped out my calves quite a bit when I started going for treatments.  Heal up quick!
2009-06-11 10:57 PM
in reply to: #2211987

User image

Davenport, IA
ADollar79 - 2009-06-11 7:16 PM
kcarroll - 2009-06-11 5:32 PM I'll jump in with one.  I must have been a girl scout in a previous life or am just a born packrat.  I know I have waaay too much stuff in my transition bag.  I like to carry back ups of socks/glasses/tubes/CO2/gu gu and more gu/plastic bags etc etc and of course have the requisite roll of duct tape.  This makes me very popular with my forgetful friends, but I think I need to pare down.  What do you pack?

That might be one of the funniest questions I have ever received....and a very good one.

In my transition bag, I always have the following:

Spare pair of goggles
Extra gu
Extra CO2
Spare tube
Electrical tape
Scissors
Multi tool
Electrolytes
zip-lock bag

I keep all of this in a grocery bag so that it stays organized.  I keep these only for emergencies.  They do not appear in transition if I can help it.  In fact, I try my hardest to take my bag out of transition and put it in my car.  The less cluttered transition is, the faster you get through it.  I believe in the philosophy of only taking in what you are going to use. 

I carry a lot of the same stuff, just keep it in two bags.  Any time I am taking the bike somewhere for more than a day I end up throwing a bag of bike tools (like all of my bike tools) in the car.  I like to pull my bike apart and clean it before big races, which is a terrible idea, but one I've done before every big race.
The only additions I would make to your list would be a rag, chain lube, and zip-ties.  The zip-ties can come in handy for so many things...
2009-06-14 9:25 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Lisa B, hope your hammy is on the mend.  Dan, hope the job hunt is going well.  My weekend kinda fell apart after my mom took a bad fall and broke the right proximal humerus.  Up in VT sorting things out. 

Anyone up for a discussion on wheels?  I bought a set of Mavic R-Sys last spring but never really liked them.  Turned out to be too stiff for the roads I ride, and perhaps my bike skills. I felt like I was being bounced all over the place.  Anyhow, was getting ready to sell them when the front wheel was recalled.  Mavic sent me a free pair of Aksiums in the interim, which are ok, but not great.  Anyhow, as soon as my replacement wheel comes in am planning to sell the R-Sys and upgrade the Aksiums.  Any suggestions?
2009-06-14 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2216092

User image

Davenport, IA
kcarroll - 2009-06-14 9:25 AM Lisa B, hope your hammy is on the mend.  Dan, hope the job hunt is going well.  My weekend kinda fell apart after my mom took a bad fall and broke the right proximal humerus.  Up in VT sorting things out. 

Anyone up for a discussion on wheels?  I bought a set of Mavic R-Sys last spring but never really liked them.  Turned out to be too stiff for the roads I ride, and perhaps my bike skills. I felt like I was being bounced all over the place.  Anyhow, was getting ready to sell them when the front wheel was recalled.  Mavic sent me a free pair of Aksiums in the interim, which are ok, but not great.  Anyhow, as soon as my replacement wheel comes in am planning to sell the R-Sys and upgrade the Aksiums.  Any suggestions?

I love my HED Jet 60's.  I took them off this week to have the rear checked and trued before my races (2 in 8 days starting next Saturday), and switched back to the ALX320's that came on my Roo.  It's night and day.  After 3 rides I really miss riding on my good wheels.  And from the looks of pricing I just found on the net, the Jet's can be had for about the same as those SYS-R's.

If I run my tires at 100psi+ the ride gets rough, but keep them at around 95psi and they're just fantastic for training.
2009-06-14 10:03 AM

User image

Pro
NJ
Thanks for the suggestion re HED.  Did a quick peek on the web and they are sharp looking.  Not the primary attribute I'm looking for, but doesn't hurt either. Smile Will check them out. While on the subject, tubular vs clincher?

2009-06-14 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2216148

User image

Davenport, IA
kcarroll - 2009-06-14 10:03 AM Thanks for the suggestion re HED.  Did a quick peek on the web and they are sharp looking.  Not the primary attribute I'm looking for, but doesn't hurt either. Smile Will check them out. While on the subject, tubular vs clincher?

I ride clinchers.  If you're not looking for aero wheels, the Ardennes and Bastogne are normal wheels.  I've been extremely impressed with the quality of mine.  Plus they look sweet on my bike.
2009-06-15 9:27 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Kim...could you expand the on the problem a bit more?  When you say the wheels are too stiff, what do you really mean?  How are you reaching this conclusion>   While I have never ridden on those wheels, I do believe they are one of the higher end wheels mavic makes.  People (in general) throw around the word stiffness in this sport but it means very little to those with limited riding experience (myself included). 

I have ridden on all of these sets of wheels:

Easton vista
Alex alx270
Deep Velocity Deep V
DT Swiss 1.1
Hed H3 front
Hed Standard disc
Zipp 404 front (tubular)
Zipp 1080 rear (tubular)

Sure I have thoughts on each of these wheels but if you were to ask me to rank them in stiffest, I wouldn't have a clue. 

Also, what kind of wheels are you looking for?  I love my eastons and they probably have 5-6000 miles on them. 

As for clinchers v. tubulars....ride what you are comfortable.  I ride clinchers only for the ease of changing flats.  But I raced tubulars last year and LOVED the way they felt. 

Dan--why do you pump up your tires to 95-100?  My coach, gf and I were actually talking about tire pressure yesterday and pontificating on why between the three of us we only flat a few times a year. 
2009-06-15 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2217955

User image

Expert
Ontario
ADollar79 - 2009-06-15 10:27 AM Kim...could you expand the on the problem a bit more?  When you say the wheels are too stiff, what do you really mean?  How are you reaching this conclusion>   While I have never ridden on those wheels, I do believe they are one of the higher end wheels mavic makes.  People (in general) throw around the word stiffness in this sport but it means very little to those with limited riding experience (myself included). 

Easton vista
Alex alx270
Deep Velocity Deep V
DT Swiss 1.1
Hed H3 front
Hed Standard disc
Zipp 404 front (tubular)
Zipp 1080 rear (tubular)

Sure I have thoughts on each of these wheels but if you were to ask me to rank them in stiffest, I wouldn't have a clue. 

Also, what kind of wheels are you looking for?  I love my eastons and they probably have 5-6000 miles on them. 

As for clinchers v. tubulars....ride what you are comfortable.  I ride clinchers only for the ease of changing flats.  But I raced tubulars last year and LOVED the way they felt. 

I'm curious to hear this also.. I have no idea what bike 'stiffness' would feel like or what the opposite of stiff would be.

Dan--why do you pump up your tires to 95-100?  My coach, gf and I were actually talking about tire pressure yesterday and pontificating on why between the three of us we only flat a few times a year. 

I wondered about this as well... when I bought my bike (in March 2007) he told me to keep my tire pressure at 120, which I do , and I've never had a flat.
2009-06-15 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
Kim -first off - hope your Mom is ok and recovers quickly!

I would like to learn more about stiffness too - I have heard this term but have not idea what it means.

My P2 came with Easton Vista's and I love them.  Only think I don't like about them is that they have a big rim making it very hard (next to impossible for me) to get the tires off.  From what I hear though this is more a 650 wheel problem and not the Easton Vistas.

For training wheels I would go with clinchers because you can change a flat with a spare.  I have some race wheels that I just put together and they have tubulars and I love the ride (got an extra 1 mph hour at last race - maybe some fitness maybe some wheels/tires).  But if I flat in a race I can try Vittoria and if that doesn't work I'm outta the race.  Wouldn't want this to happen on a training ride.

As for tire pressure - yeah - let's discuss.  I put 110 in both my training and race wheels and have not flatted (except after hitting a huge water filled pothole).  Andrew, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't what you pump the pressure in your tires to have to do with manufacturer suggestion coupled with weight of the rider?
2009-06-15 6:46 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
First, mom is getting better....that's the main thing right now.  My weekend plans for riding VT hills went to hell, but got a few minutes of trainer time in.

OK, the wheel issue.  The roads in NJ are not great.  In fact they are terrible, in spite of the highest state tax burden in the country.  When I upgraded to the Mavic R-Sys it seemed like I was bouncing really hard off every minor patch, pothole repair and slightest bit of debris or gradation on the road.  It was bad enough that I got nervous riding with one hand to re-hydrate because I was bouncing all over the road and afraid I might actually bump into someone on group rides.  I also felt that if I even "twitched" a finger or hand, the bike jumped in that direction.   Anyhow, that is my interpretation of stiffness re bike wheels at least. 

BTW, I inflate to between 110-120.  I am also very willing to accept the fact that perhaps my bike handling skills are the problem and not the wheel.  I want to feel safe and comfortable when riding and didn't on the R-SYS.  On the fringe of possibilities is that perhaps the "defect" that caused Mavic to recall the front wheel is in fact the issue.  Won't know until I get the replacement back and give it a 2nd try.  If it doesn't work out, I don't want to repeat the mistake.

Thanks for reading my ramble.  Hope everyone's training is going well.

2009-06-15 6:53 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
One more comment on tire pressure.  I ride on 700's and weigh a bit under 140, in case that makes a difference  ( did I just put my weight on the web???)  Just to make me feel better about having done that, have to add I'm 5'10". 
2009-06-15 7:26 PM

User image

Pro
NJ
As long as I'm posting TMI, for Lisa B and Andrew's benefit:  I grew up in GA and my first really long ride was the "Ravenous Roadkillers Metric Century."  I lived in Buckhead at the time.  The ride was in Newnan GA and the RR's were of the bovine variety.  I still have the T-shirt.    I also remember when GA 400 was controversial and Holcomb Bridge Road wasn't paved.  Done with memory lane for now.
2009-06-15 9:25 PM
in reply to: #2217955

User image

Davenport, IA
ADollar79 - 2009-06-15 9:27 AM Kim...could you expand the on the problem a bit more?  When you say the wheels are too stiff, what do you really mean?  How are you reaching this conclusion>   While I have never ridden on those wheels, I do believe they are one of the higher end wheels mavic makes.  People (in general) throw around the word stiffness in this sport but it means very little to those with limited riding experience (myself included). 

Easton vista
Alex alx270
Deep Velocity Deep V
DT Swiss 1.1
Hed H3 front
Hed Standard disc
Zipp 404 front (tubular)
Zipp 1080 rear (tubular)

I run 95-100 for a few reasons:
  1. If I get above 110 my rear will deflate itself overnight.
  2. If I get very far above 100 my ride quality goes all to hell.
  3. I remember reading something about my wheels being designed to run lower pressure.  (Heck, it may have even been in emails exchanged with the folks at HED while I was doing my research.)  Something to do with the wider rim holding more air volume or something.  My Jet's are C2's, the rim is 23mm wide instead of 19ish for the standard rim.
Ride quality is probably the most noticeable change.  I've never had a flat on these that wasn't my fault (put them together without the rim tape the first time).  My prorace3's say 115psi max anyway.
2009-06-16 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2219783

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
kcarroll - 2009-06-15 8:26 PM As long as I'm posting TMI, for Lisa B and Andrew's benefit:  I grew up in GA and my first really long ride was the "Ravenous Roadkillers Metric Century."  I lived in Buckhead at the time.  The ride was in Newnan GA and the RR's were of the bovine variety.  I still have the T-shirt.    I also remember when GA 400 was controversial and Holcomb Bridge Road wasn't paved.  Done with memory lane for now.

OMG - I live right off Holcomb Bridge Road and not only is it paved it's bumper to bumper traffic half the time!  Especially when you're trying to get to GA 400!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » $1.79's Mentor Group FULL of fast people Rss Feed  

of 15