BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-25 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Back open looking for 2more athletes...
As for your back pain Jeremy.

I have had a few areas that I get pinched nerves from time to time that will cause some cramping or muscle tightening.  After years of treating them with NSAID's and flexoril, my wife finally convince me to see a chiropractor.  (This was quite a feat, as most of my college professors in the exercise physiology field were very anti-chiropractor.)  But, I glad I gave in.  My back is much better than it has been in years.  It just gives me problems when it gets tired now.

Also you might try a physical therapist.  If you have any muscle imbalance issues, they can get you back on the road in no time.  Many of my issues come from overwork on certain muscle groups and not working on their counter parts.  I often hear " I see this frequently with (cyclists, runners, swimmers, etc....)"  He gives me a theraband and a few goofy exercises, and that usually does the trick.

I hope you figure out what's causing the pain.

2010-01-26 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2634296

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...
barelfly - 2010-01-25 8:51 AM
wbayek - Jeremy, how do you find time to keep your training up and eating down with the traveling?  Good job on that.

a local pizza shop for a great salad at least once a week.

Would that be Dion's? I used to LOVE their salads...

About the back - if you say it tightens up when you are stationary for a while, could you try moving around more? When I was in sales (many moons ago), I would sit in the back of the meetings and get up every 15 minutes or so to pace in the back to try to loosen up. and x2 on the PTs = they really know their stuff about how everything is interrelated...

Best of luck!
2010-01-26 8:06 AM

User image

NH
As far as muscle strains - I love the PT type route, though the guy I see uses ART.  I can't recommend it enough.  He's really a chiropractor/ART/PT combo, so if anything even tweaks a bit he seems to be able to figure out what's really causing it - and it's often not what I would have thought.

I've sent everyone I know who has pains - and at my age that's most everyone I know!  My wife is running again after 4 years of unbearable groin pulls while running, my neighbor finally went and she's now referring all her running friends, a running partner at work is finally free of hamstring issues.

Awesome job on keeping the diet clean under tempting circumstances Jeremy.

I'm in a real ice cream funk right now, I can't seem to avoid the post dinner mega bowl.  Keep me honest everyone, I'll pledge to cut down and get back on track.  Other than that I eat great, but that's a big "other than that".
2010-01-26 8:30 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
There is a great thread about swimming techniques on TriTalk...it's long, but well worth the read...lots of video and technical discussion about form. Now I can't wait to get to the pool to try some stuff out (and you all know - I'm not a big fan of the pool):
http://wwww.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=193596&posts=78&start=1

Enjoy!
2010-01-26 8:33 AM

User image

NH
That swim video was awesome - it makes me want to go to TI clinic.  I have an ex-college swimmer turned HS coach helping me on occasion, but we don't have video and I don't get to the pool at all this winter.  I can't wait to start swimming again.

I just got off the bike - have I ever mentioned I HATE Jorge! 
2010-01-26 9:31 AM
in reply to: #2634692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-26 6:32 AM
Would that be Dion's? I used to LOVE their salads...

About the back - if you say it tightens up when you are stationary for a while, could you try moving around more? When I was in sales (many moons ago), I would sit in the back of the meetings and get up every 15 minutes or so to pace in the back to try to loosen up. and x2 on the PTs = they really know their stuff about how everything is interrelated...

Best of luck!

hahah! forgot you knew the ABQ area!! yes, DIONS - our gift for pizza, subs and salads! one of my favorite places to eat because you can get something different everyday and not be bored with it!

2010-01-26 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed?
Hi Aaron,

I would like to join your group.  I am new to BT and triathlons and would appreciate any help. 

Name: Matthew Fahy
Family Status: married for 5years with one girl (age 1)
My Story: Last year I completed my first marathon.  I have been running increasing distance race over last 3 years and I am in reasonable shape from marathon training in 2009.  I would like to complete some triathlons in 2010.
Current Training: BT 20 week Half Ironman beginner program uploaded in training log.  First two weeks started slow and sick week 19.  Last two weeks completed all workouts.  Strength is running from 2009 training.  Getting back in to swimming and have no fear of water activities.  Biking from scratch, mostly spin/stationary at this point.
2009 Races: Richmond Marathon
2010 Races:  Smithfield, VA Sprint in March; Inside Out Olympic Wake Forest, NC in April; HIM Florida 70.3 May, then evaluate races in fall based on spring results.
2010 Goal: Complete HIM Florida 70.3 (secondarily targeting time 6:30? tbd/adjusted based on training)
Weightloss: I lost about 5-8 pounds in 2009 from running.  I would like to take off another 5 lbs, although weight loss is not a primary objective. 
What I am looking for: Tips of the trade from experienced triathletes.

Needs work: Cycling and Swimming. Logs are up to date. I'm trying to swim and cycle a lot to work on my fundamentals.  Biggest concerns are HIM race plan/pace, running in heat/humidity at HIM Florida and cycling.

Thanks,
Matt

Edited by mdfahy 2010-01-26 8:32 PM
2010-01-26 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2635048

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-01-26 11:05 AM Hi Aaron,

I would like to join your group.  I am new to BT and triathlons and would appreciate any help. 

Name: Matthew Fahy
Family Status: married for 5years with one girl (age 1)
My Story: Last year I completed my first marathon.  I have been running increasing distance race over last 3 years and I am in reasonable shape from marathon training in 2009.  I would like to complete some triathlons in 2010.
Current Training: BT 20 week Half Ironman beginner program uploaded in training log.  First two weeks started slow and sick week 19.  Last two weeks completed all workouts.  Strength is running from 2009 training.  Getting back in to swimming and have no fear of water activities.  Biking from scratch, mostly spin/stationary at this point.
2009 Races: Richmond Marathon
2010 Races:  Smithfield, VA Sprint in March; Inside Out Olympic Wake Forest, NC in April; HIM Florida 70.3 May, then evaluate races in fall based on spring results.
2010 Goal: Complete HIM Florida 70.3 (secondarily targeting time 6:30? tbd/adjusted based on training)
Weightloss: I lost about 5-8 pounds in 2009 from running.  I would like to take off another 5 lbs, although weight loss is not a primary objective. 

Needs work: Cycling and Swimming. Logs are up to date. I'm trying to swim and cycle a lot to work on my fundamentals.  Biggest concerns are HIM race plan/pace, running in heat/humidity at HIM Florida and cycling.

Thanks,
Matt

Welcome to the group. Post some questions and I will try to help. I tend to be pretty busy so I post a lot in spurts.

2010-01-27 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Welcome to the group, Matt.  That's impressive that you'll be doing a HIM in your first year of triathlons.  With a running background and a marathon under your belt, you should be in good position to accomplish that goal.  You joined a great mentor group as several of us have HIM's on our calendar for this year.  Best of luck to you!
2010-01-27 8:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Welcome to the group Matt.  Hopefully, we can give you the help you're looking for.
2010-01-27 9:39 AM

User image

NH
Welcome Matt.

I think you have the first 70.3 in the group.  Your training looks like it is going well so far.

2010-01-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2635048

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
mdfahy - 2010-01-26 10:05 AM Hi Aaron,

Thanks,
Matt

I can share my first and only HIM experience, or at least share my mistakes. 

1)  Not enough bike distance work.  I had considered cycling my strongest leg, so I kinda neglected it in my HIM training.  I could avr. 23 mph for an oly riding only twice a week, so I thought I could just add a couple of "long" rides for HIM training.  I did 2 rides over 38 miles.  One being 50 and on being 62.  The 62 miler was 8 weeks prior (my logs say "It was the hardest thing I've ever done.")  This was not enough.  My run fell completetly apart.  I think my run training was adequate.  I had 8 runs that were between 13-17 miles, and could run 6:45/ mile for an oly.    But after being ill prepared for the cycling leg, I was reduced to walking and stretching at 10 miles and averaged 11:00 + / mile.  I'm sure if you are following a plan you're probably going to get enough long rides.  Just make sure if you have to skip a ride, don't skip the long ones.

2) Poor race nutrition.  I was completely clueless.  I didn't have a plan, and I am not sure what I ate on the course.  I am still clueless on this aspect, but I will make sure I have a plan hammered down and tested this time.

I'm sure those weren't the only mistakes I made, but they were the biggest in my opinion.  I'd like to think that I have matured, and I'm not the cocky youngster I used to be.  I definitely have respect for the distance now.
2010-01-27 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2638759

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-01-27 8:53 PM
mdfahy - 2010-01-26 10:05 AM Hi Aaron,

Thanks,
Matt

1)  Not enough bike distance work.  I had considered cycling my strongest leg, so I kinda neglected it in my HIM training.  I could avr. 23 mph for an oly riding only twice a week, so I thought I could just add a couple of "long" rides for HIM training.  I did 2 rides over 38 miles.  One being 50 and on being 62.  The 62 miler was 8 weeks prior (my logs say "It was the hardest thing I've ever done.")  This was not enough.  My run fell completetly apart.  I think my run training was adequate.  I had 8 runs that were between 13-17 miles, and could run 6:45/ mile for an oly.    But after being ill prepared for the cycling leg, I was reduced to walking and stretching at 10 miles and averaged 11:00 + / mile.  I'm sure if you are following a plan you're probably going to get enough long rides.  Just make sure if you have to skip a ride, don't skip the long ones.

2) Poor race nutrition.  I was completely clueless.  I didn't have a plan, and I am not sure what I ate on the course.  I am still clueless on this aspect, but I will make sure I have a plan hammered down and tested this time.

I'm sure those weren't the only mistakes I made, but they were the biggest in my opinion.  I'd like to think that I have matured, and I'm not the cocky youngster I used to be.  I definitely have respect for the distance now.

There are a lot of things that could have gone in to that race. You could have gone to hard on the bike for the run pace you had hoped for. It could have been related to nutrition. A hardset plan is not necessarily needed. Everyone has bad races.

Some people need fully detailed nutrition plans and it works for some but hurts quite a few people because they overdo it or over complicate.

2010-01-28 8:10 AM

User image

NH

When I read stories of people with running and cycling paces like you still having problems on the 70.3 distance, I wonder if I'm crazy to have taken this on.  But as Aaron says a lot goes into a race, so I will heed all your advice and work the plan all summer and get nutrition down. 

One thing for sure is that I respect the distance already.  Thanks for sharing your advice.  And crank it up for the IM.
2010-01-28 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2639371

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
wbayek - 2010-01-28 9:10 AM

When I read stories of people with running and cycling paces like you still having problems on the 70.3 distance, I wonder if I'm crazy to have taken this on.  But as Aaron says a lot goes into a race, so I will heed all your advice and work the plan all summer and get nutrition down. 

One thing for sure is that I respect the distance already.  Thanks for sharing your advice.  And crank it up for the IM.

Warren, Don't sweat it... you're going to finish that HIM.  My jaw dropped also when I saw Ray's running pace.  In a half mary, he'd reaching turnaround while I'm still getting my shoes on!!!!  If you race YOUR race at YOUR pace, you'll hit the finish line.   I've got a lot to learn about nutrition also.  I didn't have a plan and just kinda winged it.  This year I will have a plan on quantity, timing etc.
2010-01-28 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2639748

User image

NH
Thanks for the support Bill.  I wish I had as much confidence in my abilities as you!  As long as I train all summer I guess barring something drastic I figure I'll finish, but it's just such a long way from where I've come.

I loved your reason for finishing your half after that tough bike.  That's why I'm telling everyone I know about my doing this half.

2010-01-28 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I would like to apologize for my previous post.  I am not the best writer in the world, and don't always say what I am trying to say.  My intent was not to worry anyone, nor was it to brag about my past running pace.  I wanted to establish that at the time I had running fitness, but it didn't really matter come HIM time. 

I was trying to relate how important I thought long bike training was to a successful HIM.  Scout posted an article earlier this month http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=191184&start=1 .  When I read it, it really hit home.  The part that stood out to me was "the first key to running strong in an Ironman is not pure running ability but strength on the bike." and  "Your bike fitness has to be at such a level that you can ride hard for 112 miles and still have something left for the marathon. All of the running fitness in the world won’t help you otherwise. How do you get that strong on the bike? The short answer is by putting in a ton of volume."  That's what I was trying to say.  I guess that's why he is a writer, and I am a forester.  I know this article is about IM and not HIM, but I think HIM is more like IM than it is like an Oly.  I could fake my way through an Oly but not an HIM.  That's why I wanted to join a mentor group with so many doing HIM's and the leader having IM experience.  I have no clue how to train or race HIM's and up.

Aaron,  I totally agree with you on the pacing issue.  I probably headed out of T1 at oly pace.  I think, though, that if I would have put more cycling volume , I would have learned how to pace a longer bike ride.  But I don't know that for sure. 

Warren, your training seems to be at the same volume that mine was one month out of my HIM.  As much time as you have left, and the volume your doing now, your HIM experience should be much more enjoyable than mine.
2010-01-28 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2640348

User image

NH
No need to apologize Ray.  I totally got the idea of your post and I'm not afraid - just aware.

I just can't believe how fast some people are relative to me and they still struggle.  When you're totally new to this whole endurance thing, we assume guys like you and Aaron just cruise through but it's a grind for everyone - you're just going faster but it's no easier and in fact may be harder since you're more mentally trained to work even harder.

It keeps reminding me this isn't easy, and it keeps me focused on why we're doing it and why it's special to get to the finish line.  It's great to have so many others on here to prod each other on.

And I totally agree on the Oly vs. HIM.  I feel like I could struggle through an Oly right now,  but a 70.3 is a whole different beast, with IM again a completely different level from that.

Edited by wbayek 2010-01-28 1:39 PM
2010-01-28 2:06 PM

User image

NH
And pardon my New Englander cluelessness, but I assumed OK didn't really have enough trees to have forests.  Sounds cool.

We should post some pictures of our training routes so we get a feel for each others playgrounds.  I'll try to snap some shots of my run this evening and post them.

2010-01-28 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2640583

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2010-01-28 3:06 AM And pardon my New Englander cluelessness, but I assumed OK didn't really have enough trees to have forests.  Sounds cool.

We should post some pictures of our training routes so we get a feel for each others playgrounds.  I'll try to snap some shots of my run this evening and post them.

Great idea! It just started snowing here and is supposed to really come down this evening...I'll try to get some this weekend.

Ray - no worries! It was useful for me to see that people who are in great shape still need to train and that I need to think about nutrition more than I have been.

Matt - welcome!
2010-01-28 4:17 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
And I'll second that, Ray... no need to apologize.  I was just impressed with the 6 min/mi!

2010-01-28 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks Ray for that piece of advice, it will certainly help me focus more on the bike segment.  I am not as fast as you, but am confortable with my run pace and endurance, but as you say, I can't roll into a HIM with just the run training.  I also went to a quality swim coach this morning and he gave me just what I was looking for.  1) I have a good overall stroke, swim endurance@pace, but need to focus on breathing and stroke recovery  2) swim is not my concern as much anymore after getting the coaching and confirmation.  So I go back to biking concern.  I will definitely make sure to get in all my long bike rides.

Questions on Training Focus/Adjustments: 
1. Should I tweek my base program (BT HIM beginner program) to focus a little more on biking and reduce a little from swimming or running workouts or just keep following the base program? 

2. Is it ok to move around workouts to fit my schedule during the week?  Although I know there is reason behind having certain workouts follow others, sometimes it's hard for me to follow it as published.  I try to understand the objectives and keep it as close as possible.  For example, Mondays are bad for me and I can't really do doubles on that day, so I switch them around.  I also try to get in as much training on the weekend so I may move certain training days out of friday and into saturday for example.

Question on Race Schedule:  I have a sprint in mid-March and an Olympic in mid-April with HIM mid-May.  There is one other Olympic I could do the week after the first Olympic mid-April.  The gap btw Olympic and HIM would be 4 weeks after the last Olympic race versus 5 weeks.  Should I race one more Olympic to get more race practice or due to tight timeframe to my HIM and intensity of racing should I just stick to training and existing race schedule? 

Thanks everyone, all your input has been helpful already.  I've read alot, but its good to hear real life personal examples and relate them to my novice mind/training experiences.
2010-01-28 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
wbayek - 2010-01-28 1:06 PM And pardon my New Englander cluelessness, but I assumed OK didn't really have enough trees to have forests.  Sounds cool.

here are a few of mine: first one is a road route I take that passes by old volcanoes with the Sandia Mountains in the distance. These mountains are great for road biking and mountain biking - which is the next pick. up close of the mountains on the trail.

Edited by barelfly 2010-01-28 9:16 PM

(volcano ride.jpg)

(dbpic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
volcano ride.jpg (36KB - 19 downloads)
dbpic.jpg (61KB - 9 downloads)
2010-01-29 6:32 AM
in reply to: #2639371

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-01-28 9:10 AM

You are not crazy for taking it on. You will do well. Most of us find the bike easiest and try to kill it on the bike and as a result do not take in enough nutrion or blow up on the run. Been there done that.

I do agree that some long rides are needed, but really for an IM 2-3 is sufficient. Long meaning 100ish miles. Those rides are the ones you really want to do bricks with.

2010-01-29 6:33 AM

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-01-28 3:06 PM And pardon my New Englander cluelessness, but I assumed OK didn't really have enough trees to have forests.  Sounds cool.

I run on some awesome trails when I am not insides. No pictures.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76