BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-01-30 11:56 PM
in reply to: #2628177

User image

Welllington, NZ
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
Hi all,

Well i'm back from the week away and see you've all been busy - a very informative topic on eating habits regarding losing weight going on! I can't really join in that one 'cause i've not had a problem with weight but Iceman's mention of a diet ending and going back to old habits is spot on - it's definitively got to be seen as a long term change.

Regarding vitamins - there are numerous articles recommending a multivitamin for the active person (even those with good diets) so i take one of those and i do notice a difference. I used to take fishoil and glucosamine supplements aswell but have stopped. I've heard hugely positive things about CQ10 but have not tried it. To be honest i was a bit of a pill junkie...

lbishop - 2010-01-22 8:31 PM  I challenge everyone in the group to do at least half of their planned workouts for the next week - if you don't feel you can do the complete sessions at least do what you can!

WRT my challenge - i should have perhaps specified that it was aimed at those in the group struggling to do their workouts for various reasons. I see a quick pool session was fitted into a time slot that was otherwise free - that's certainly the way to do it!

Anyway, back to it for me. Had a nice week off with some running and LOTS of core work. Also managed a continual 1.5k swim in a pool (just stopping to turn at the ends, feel i've got the breathing sorted out) and a couple of very short lake swims. Next will be to get some coaching (a local well recommended course starts in April).

Good to see people still going for it and for those struggling to fit in workouts let us know you managed the challenge for the week!

Lewis.

2010-01-31 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2645238

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

IceManScott - 2010-01-30 11:58 PM Nearest Tri Expo to me is Toledo Ohio, I think.  Not likely.

I agree with the goal/mission relationship.  Got to feel the goal way down deep, imagine myself getting it done, living a realistic plan day by day.  Becomes a lifestyle and a very good one.  I liked that book.

I got Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist.  His plan mirrors some of the stuff my coach does but it departs in that The Vision Quest training is good for the long haul while Carmichael admits his hurry up and get it done approach doesn't guarantee endurance for longer races. 

He discussed that to some degree yesterday.  I haven't had a chance to pick up that book yet, yesterday I had a choice of getting a signed one from him or listening to Kristen Armstrong, I chose the latter!

2010-01-31 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2645262

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-01-31 12:56 AM Hi all,

Well i'm back from the week away and see you've all been busy - a very informative topic on eating habits regarding losing weight going on! I can't really join in that one 'cause i've not had a problem with weight but Iceman's mention of a diet ending and going back to old habits is spot on - it's definitively got to be seen as a long term change.

Regarding vitamins - there are numerous articles recommending a multivitamin for the active person (even those with good diets) so i take one of those and i do notice a difference. I used to take fishoil and glucosamine supplements aswell but have stopped. I've heard hugely positive things about CQ10 but have not tried it. To be honest i was a bit of a pill junkie...

lbishop - 2010-01-22 8:31 PM  I challenge everyone in the group to do at least half of their planned workouts for the next week - if you don't feel you can do the complete sessions at least do what you can!

WRT my challenge - i should have perhaps specified that it was aimed at those in the group struggling to do their workouts for various reasons. I see a quick pool session was fitted into a time slot that was otherwise free - that's certainly the way to do it!

Anyway, back to it for me. Had a nice week off with some running and LOTS of core work. Also managed a continual 1.5k swim in a pool (just stopping to turn at the ends, feel i've got the breathing sorted out) and a couple of very short lake swims. Next will be to get some coaching (a local well recommended course starts in April).

Good to see people still going for it and for those struggling to fit in workouts let us know you managed the challenge for the week!

Lewis.

Glad you had a good vacation!!!  Good to have you back!!

2010-02-02 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Reading the Total Immersion for Triathletes book...really good.  Today's nugget "Grab the water."  Really interesting.  The coach has been telling me to anchor my hand and roll over it.  Hard concept until the TI book put it as Grab the water.  The sensation is interesting. When you do, the propeller seems to move from your arms to your core where it belongs so turning from one side to the other moves you through the water without a lot of tugging backwards, which burns energy and gets me off the turning and back to the slugging it out with the water.  Lots to learn. 

Signed up for a training group with the local running club again...starts in February, once a week.  Gives me someone to manage the speed workouts and people to run with.  Should be able to progress well with them. 

Tapering toward the end of the week toward another power test on Saturday afternoon.  It will be interesting to see how strong these low cadence/high power workouts have made me this winter.  I'm thinking I'll gain a few watts on my FTP again.  How many I have no idea.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-02-02 7:20 AM
2010-02-02 8:44 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

That is an interesting concept you described from the TI book Scott.  I'll have to get mine back out, or pick up the triathlon specific one. 

Good luck with your test this weekend! 

2010-02-02 7:19 PM

User image

New user
So last night I was at my mothers after working the day out of town...the weather was horrible all day. Around 9pm or so the air cooled a little and there was no rain so I thought well heck I must get try and get my run in. It was day 3 week 5 of my couch to 5k training. It included a warm up and a 20 minute jog and a cool down. Greatest part was that I actually was able to do it! I think its probably the longest I have jogged ever LOL. In high school I played football and tennis but we never went on long runs...mostly sprint work. SO this was a new high and I was really glad that I was able to do it. 5k is right around the corner and getting better. I just wanted to share that to give some people some inspiration to stick to the plan and you will notice the results in time!

2010-02-03 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2651152

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-02-02 8:19 PM So last night I was at my mothers after working the day out of town...the weather was horrible all day. Around 9pm or so the air cooled a little and there was no rain so I thought well heck I must get try and get my run in. It was day 3 week 5 of my couch to 5k training. It included a warm up and a 20 minute jog and a cool down. Greatest part was that I actually was able to do it! I think its probably the longest I have jogged ever LOL. In high school I played football and tennis but we never went on long runs...mostly sprint work. SO this was a new high and I was really glad that I was able to do it. 5k is right around the corner and getting better. I just wanted to share that to give some people some inspiration to stick to the plan and you will notice the results in time!

Great job!!!  Your consistancy is paying huge dividends!!!

2010-02-03 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
That's great!  You rock.  Those couch to 5K programs really work, start slow and work ever longer and faster.  It is surprising how quickly the body accepts the challenge once the mind does.  Keep up the great work.
2010-02-05 2:43 AM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Good luck for the week head guys. For those struggling, get into your groove and keep at it! Back in 9 days.

Lewis.
2010-02-05 4:12 AM
in reply to: #2656321

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-02-05 3:43 AM Good luck for the week head guys. For those struggling, get into your groove and keep at it! Back in 9 days.

Lewis.

Good luck to you as well!!!

2010-02-05 4:14 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Finally back home after traveling all of January!  Getting caught up at home and at work, so training and BT time should improve some over the next week!

Training volume should start increasing some for most of us, how are we all doing getting the time to fit your training in?

Any tri or training issues you want to discuss?

2010-02-05 6:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I had an extra rest day, Thursday and Friday, leading into my power test on Saturday afternoon.  Volume down this week.  It will rise starting next week.  I have a set routine that starts at 6 a.m. when I go to work so I can get out early with enough time to workout before AA and supper.  Tuesdays and Tuesday, the day starts with Masters in the pool at 4:30.  In other works, I created the time around work by going to bed earlier and using flex time at work.  They want me here in the morning to man the newsroom anyway.  I listen to scanners. 

My wife is extremely supportive.  She would have to be or we would not have gotten together.   But, it's never been an issue.  This is the "me" she has always known.  She supports me 100%.  Never has raised an issue in 3.5 years, which includes nearly 2 years of marriage.   I can see where a family situation otherwise would be a huge challenge on top of everything else.      

Otherwise, I'm approaching the end of the dark times of winter with a good attitude, somewhat stronger I think (we will see tomorrow) healthy and with every expectation of meeting my 2010 goals.  I'm signed up for three races with a fourth possible in fall as a close-out.  In addition, I signed up for the running clubs training program to have coaching to get faster and to have people to train with a little.   I find I'm training less and less with people on the bike because the workouts are so intense they are best done solo so a little social time comes at runs and at the pool.   I think connecting here and in person with other endurance athletes is important. You guys understand.  People ar work just say, "You did what over the weekend?  Are you nuts?"

Have a great weekend.  Mine will be a sweat fest.  I think taper days are meant to have me excited and ready to race like a bull in the chute at a rodeo.  It's working.

2010-02-05 11:57 AM

User image

New user
I have had some health related issues in the last few days so training sort of took a back seat for a few days while we sort things out with a physician. Good thing though all my training is paying off and my blood pressure is amazing lol.
2010-02-06 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2657182

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-02-05 12:57 PM I have had some health related issues in the last few days so training sort of took a back seat for a few days while we sort things out with a physician. Good thing though all my training is paying off and my blood pressure is amazing lol.

Too bad about the training set back with the health issues!! I hope they clear up soon!!!  But that is awesome that your blood pressure is improving!!!

2010-02-06 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I'm a little late with this, but it is time to evaluate how you did with your January goals and put your February goals in place (Should have done this already) !

My goals for February is to get the bike and swim time up significantly while maintaining the run fitness!  I have put a winter maintenance plan in place to help with this!!!

2010-02-06 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2658666

Still no set monthly goals, as I have another 4- 6 weeks of setting a good base for the real training. I am quite pleased with my ability to get as many days of workout in as I did in January. Hoping to follow that up in February with more of the same or better. (So I guess that would be a goal after all)
kenj - 2010-02-06 12:43 PM

I'm a little late with this, but it is time to evaluate how you did with your January goals and put your February goals in place (Should have done this already) !

My goals for February is to get the bike and swim time up significantly while maintaining the run fitness!  I have put a winter maintenance plan in place to help with this!!!

2010-02-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2658704

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Exactly!

DougJ - 2010-02-06 1:29 PM Still no set monthly goals, as I have another 4- 6 weeks of setting a good base for the real training. I am quite pleased with my ability to get as many days of workout in as I did in January. Hoping to follow that up in February with more of the same or better. (So I guess that would be a goal after all)
kenj - 2010-02-06 12:43 PM

2010-02-07 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Functional Threshold Power went up from 283 to 291 in 2 months.  I did the 40 mins with the highest power of the bunch testing.  I also kept the cadence above 100 the entire test.  I used to be a gear cruncher.  I'm happy.

Big storm coming.  Hope to get a run in before it does tomorrow...yoga too.  Then bike and swim Tuesday. 

Have a great week.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-02-07 10:19 PM
2010-02-08 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2660487

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

IceManScott - 2010-02-07 11:18 PM Functional Threshold Power went up from 283 to 291 in 2 months.  I did the 40 mins with the highest power of the bunch testing.  I also kept the cadence above 100 the entire test.  I used to be a gear cruncher.  I'm happy.

Big storm coming.  Hope to get a run in before it does tomorrow...yoga too.  Then bike and swim Tuesday. 

Have a great week.

Great job Iceman! That is huge improvement (and those are big numbers!)

What did you do to get comfortable at the higher cadence?  When I attended the Expo in San Diego a couple of weeks ago, Kristen Armstrong (gold medal time trial-er) talked about needing to get comfortable at 90+ to be effective.  She just suggested taking the cadence up and focusing on keeping it above 90, plus adding in some time (maybe 5 X 2:00) at 100 plus. 

I am a masher myself, I will default to 80 rpm if I don't focus on keeping it up!

2010-02-08 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Yes, my power numbers are getting pretty high.  I'm really grateful to Vision Quest Coaching.   They have been able to use power training to target the optimum workouts and I follow the recommendations religiously.  Why pay them if I won't do what they say.   

Be advised...high cadence is very taxing aerobically.  Lots of triathletes I've read tell you to shoot for 85-90.  But my coach stresses that everyone will find something natural for them whether it's 80 or 100, it will be theirs.  I've found 90 plus is comfortable over distance. On the road you can coast too   But spinning, even soft pedaling, gets rid of lactate load faster than coasting.   100 plus is doable and brings advantages over the short hauls like time trials.  It is great to be able to spin up big hills rather than crunch.  I save lots in the tank that way.   The key questions to ask are: What gets me the best time on the bike and what feels best when I get off the bike to run.  You don't want to toast the legs but still the bike is the place to save the most time.  

The advice you heard matches what I was told to do.  Devote portions of workouts and even entire workouts to high cadence drills.  Maybe you'll have one workout devoted to power on Tuescday, then a high cadence and single pedal drills on Thursday, then power again on Saturday and endurance long ride on Sunday.   That is often what my week looks like.  Or power on Tues, Thurs and Saturday and endurance with high cadence and pedal drills on Sunday.  

Do several intervals and build 90, 95, 100, 105, 110 and then down again.   At the peak you should be going fast until you are bouncing in the seat and then back off a bit until you stop bouncing. Do this with low power at first.

High cadence spreads the work out over more pedal strokes so each one is lesser and easier.  But the aerobic enggine works harder.  Like everything else, it is trial and error to achieve the right balance.

2010-02-08 7:55 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

You mention bike stroke and the impact on the run.  I have read or been told somewhere that cadence on the bike has an impact on foot turn over for the run as your legs get comfortable turning over at a particular rate on the bike and this rythm gets carried over to the run, especially in longer events.

2010-02-08 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Hadn't heard that.  But not surprised.  I'm trying to do fartleks and cadence drills on the runs to increase cadence and speed.
2010-02-09 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Hey guys, long time no post.  Been crazy busy...

So in the last few weeks:

1.  Got the knee MRIed
2.  Found some cartilage damage (minor)
3.  Found out I have a very shallow patella notch so my knee does not track straight as it should.
4.  The pain is probably from years of running but the tweak put it over the edge.
5.  Got a cortisone shot (that helped a little but not enough to run)
6.  Going back today to review.  I think the next step is to go in with a scope and "clean up" the flakes of cartilage and to inject some viscous fluid that acts as a lubricant.

From what I've heard this seems to fix it for most people.  I have heard recovery time is 3-4 weeks.  St. A's is going to be HORRIBLE this year but hey, what can I do?  Will have to find a new A race.

One the good side this knee injury had forced me to take it easy on my back.  It has healed up nicely.  I have not had any back pain in the last 3-4 weeks!

Hooray!

Oh and a little bragging:  Max, my 8 year old son, won their freestyle relay at the YMCA state championships this weekend.  They would have won the medley relay as well (he swam anchor) but one of the kids went off a hair early.  They were crushed becuase they won by 8 seconds so there was nothing to blame but nerves.  He did pretty well in his other events too, ranging from 3rd (free) to 13th out of 50 (fly, his worst event).
2010-02-09 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Hey congrats on your son's good work.  Good to get the knee taken care of early in the season. 

My weight fell below 214. About 213.5.   On track for 210 by the end of winter...looking for 200 ultimately during the race season sometime. 
2010-02-09 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2663078

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-02-09 10:15 AM Hey guys, long time no post.  Been crazy busy...

So in the last few weeks:

1.  Got the knee MRIed
2.  Found some cartilage damage (minor)
3.  Found out I have a very shallow patella notch so my knee does not track straight as it should.
4.  The pain is probably from years of running but the tweak put it over the edge.
5.  Got a cortisone shot (that helped a little but not enough to run)
6.  Going back today to review.  I think the next step is to go in with a scope and "clean up" the flakes of cartilage and to inject some viscous fluid that acts as a lubricant.

From what I've heard this seems to fix it for most people.  I have heard recovery time is 3-4 weeks.  St. A's is going to be HORRIBLE this year but hey, what can I do?  Will have to find a new A race.

One the good side this knee injury had forced me to take it easy on my back.  It has healed up nicely.  I have not had any back pain in the last 3-4 weeks!

Hooray!

Oh and a little bragging:  Max, my 8 year old son, won their freestyle relay at the YMCA state championships this weekend.  They would have won the medley relay as well (he swam anchor) but one of the kids went off a hair early.  They were crushed becuase they won by 8 seconds so there was nothing to blame but nerves.  He did pretty well in his other events too, ranging from 3rd (free) to 13th out of 50 (fly, his worst event).

Glad to hear you have a plan to correct your knee issues! Also, knowing the aggravation that your back gave you last year, glad to hear the time off has helped that issue as well!!!

Great job and congratulations to your son!!! That is an awesome performance!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29