BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-17 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2796610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Let's talk about re-cov-ery...

Unfortunately I cannot add too much more Quincy but I will compliment what the other posters have said.  I have used a roller before and it can be quite painful at times but helpful (had IT band issues). I now use it more often more as a precautionary too in hopes that the IT band issues do not return after long workouts.

I have never an ice bath before but was told that they can be good for extremely long workouts and runs. I just haven't felt the need for one yet...maybe?  Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Off to workout now.

2010-04-17 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!

Hey Manatees!! What cha' all doing today? Kind of quiet on our board. I can hardly keep up during the week.

I got a 12 mile run in today, heading into my tapering for a marathon May 2nd. Felt pretty good.

Anything interesting going on? How's the weather in Chi-town?

2010-04-17 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2798844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
lmscozz - 2010-04-17 9:17 PM

Hey Manatees!! What cha' all doing today? Kind of quiet on our board. I can hardly keep up during the week.

I got a 12 mile run in today, heading into my tapering for a marathon May 2nd. Felt pretty good.

Anything interesting going on? How's the weather in Chi-town?

Hopefully that means everyone's getting some good exercise and family time in!  Great job on the 12 miler, Lynn.  I did what I have dubbed the  "soccer mom BRIC" this am.  Got up at 6, packed snacks and drinks and set out the boys' soccer clothes.  Headed out to the Y for the 7:15 spin class.  Skipped the cool down portion, quick changed shoes, and after a quick call to DH (to remind him to bring the boys to soccer -- and good thing, too, since he had fallen back asleep and didn't even realize I was gone!) I took off out the door and ran from the Y to the soccer field.  I thought it was further away, but it's only half a mile, so I had to go past and double back just to do a mere mile.  Next time, I will ditch the back pack and do at least 2-3 miles; I would have had time.  Anyhow, I helped the Y folks set up for soccer, and then set up our chairs and such when the boys arrived, applied sunscreen, etc., and sat through 2 hours of soccer practice/games (9-10 for the little guy, and 10-11 for the older boy).   Woo hoo!  I felt stinky and conspicuous, but it wasn't so bad that I won't do it again next weekend...

Tomorrow I plan to run and swim while the boys do their wrestling practice...
2010-04-17 8:56 PM
in reply to: #2798904

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Sounds like  you've got that routine dialed in. Good job soccer, triathlete mom!

2010-04-17 9:14 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
I got in 6 miles on the bike today and I had an hour long rehearsal this afternoon. Tomorrow is swimming and biking. I wanted to run today, but as I was putting the bike back in the car, a bunch of people got on the trail. I didn't feel like dodging them.
2010-04-18 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2798844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Awesome job on the run Lynn. I am debating signing up for a half marathon in August but have never run that far.
The weather is cool here (50s) but there wasn't a cloud in the sky yesterday! I just got back from a long, early morning bike ride with sun rising over the lake...quite enjoyable. Have a good Sunday everyone.

2010-04-18 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
A friend woke me up yesterday with a text asking if I wanted to go for a bike ride so I ditched my plan to swim and did 15 miles with her.  It was pretty slow since she rides a hybrid and I was on my roadie but I needed an easy day.  Today I need to get a long run in.  I just can't figure out when since hubs needs to get a ride in this afternoon so I may end up on a treadmill at the gym tonight.

How'd the showing go Ryan?  We've got one this afternoon.
2010-04-18 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
After almost 2 weeks without swimming (I know, I know), I'm gonna try to hit the pool today. I'm also gonna go running this afternoon since I skipped my morning run.
2010-04-18 4:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Hey Emily - how did the swim and run go?  Did you get both in?

Allison and Ryan - how were the house showings?  I am keepijng my fingers crossed for you!

I hope everyone had a good and relaxing weekend.  Mine turned out not as planned.  We did end up getting a bad storm on Friday evening.  Our power went out and didn't come back on until last night.  I didn't get much of anything done!

I do have a stupid question for all you bike experts.  How do you ride standing up?  Ok, stop laughing now.  Seriously, when I rode my bike on Thursday, I was going up a pretty good hill, and I thought I would try standing just to see if it was any easier.  Well, I was in the smallest gear, and when I stood up, I about fell over.  It felt like I needed to be in a higher gear, but I never would have been able to pedal in a higher gear.  Is it just a matter of practice and forcing myself to try harder?  I feel really stupid asking this but if anybody can offer some insight, I would really appreciate it!!

Karen
2010-04-18 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2799813

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks. Our agent said that they looked around a lot and asked a lot of questions.  I think we will hear more feedback tomorrow.  Thanks for keeping your fingers crossed.  Let me think if I can think of any standing bike tips for you...
2010-04-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2800020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
You might need to be in a harder gear going uphill if you're standing.  If you think about it you are pushing your weight down hard on each pedal at a time and don't want to be in the easiest gear. I have read that there is some debate if standing even helps that much (it may not be as efficient). Maybe you can try standing too while you're coasting just to practice. Obviously that is not recommended since it makes you less wind resistant but it may help make you more comfy at first since you won't have to concentrate on pedaling and standing. Then you can try it on the hills.

2010-04-19 8:25 AM
in reply to: #2800181

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey everyone sorry about being MIA for the weekend...I had to work on my my daughter's science project, plus a fundraiser on Saturday night, a monster swim workout plus weights, long bike with my team (I love being on a bike team...this whole triathlon thing may spit me out as a cyclist, we will see), and a fabulous brunch with my hubby (poor guy has to get in there somewhere).

Thanks so much for the advice on the roller...I am trying to get on it at least once a day and it DOES make me feel better.  I just don't dare look my IT bands in the eyes right now...they are ANGRY with me.  I find if I face the music and roll them out my back doesn't hurt as much.

Ryan, not sure if we still have anything active, but I'll PM you the addy so you can do a google.  I feel so bad for all of us trying to sell right now.  I get kind of mad about it...I didn't do anything wrong, didn't buy out of my price range or take a bad loan, or buy a house that was overvalued, yet now I am being punished for all the madness that went on.  It's like someone had a monster party that I wasn't invited to and now I am stuck cleaning up the mess.  Rant off.

Karen-do you have a trainer?  I seriously didn't even know how to shift my bike at first but I got on the trainer and practiced.  Maybe you could practice standing up on the trainer and find a gear that works for you.  It definitely must be a harder gear as standing generates a ton more power...maybe put it in a harder gear on the flats and practice there before you try it all on a hill... 

OK gotta take DD to school, post more later!

2010-04-19 8:35 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Karen-The run went well. I sustained a 10 min/mile pace for half a mile, so I know I *can* do it. It's just working up to sustaining it for the full distance, whatever that may be. Decided against the swim because by the time I finished the run, the pool was full of families and I didn't really feel like dealing with kids. I left a message with the aquatics director at my Y inquiring about swim lessons, so hopefully I can get one or two in before my race on May 2.

Ideally, my schedule today will look something like this. My allergies are really acting up, so I dunno:
Easy bike after work, 4-6 miles
75 min yoga class
400y in the pool
2010-04-19 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
We ended up having two showings yesterday.  No feedback from the first but the second says they are definitely not interested even though the house showed beautifully which should have been particularly notable to them since they showed up half an hour early while we were herding kids out to the car.  They rated our house a 3 but didn't say out of what.  Are we a 3 out of 10, 3 out of 3, 3 out of 5?  Stupid people.

You do need to be in a harder gear to stand up.  You need enough tension to be able to hold your weight since when you stand it is your entire body weight that is pushing the pedals down.  Not enough "tension" and your pedal stroke becomes jerky with your weight forcing the down stroke very quickly then you slow to push the other pedal around before it drops quickly.  The goal is to keep a smooth and even pedal stroke.

Standing climbs use a different set of muscles than seated.  Most cyclists don't spend much time out of the saddle but it's useful for resting a saddle sore butt as well as getting over that last bit of hill.  If you can visit a spin class you'll learn more about standing "jog" which is standing up straight and basically moving like a jog vs. a standing climb which is more aerodynamic since you're bent over the bars and you can produce a lot more power.

If you have a slight incline nearby you can practice your standing jogs/climbs on it.  Start at the bottom completely stopped and start pedaling up the incline at a stand.  Since you'll have no momentum you shouldn't have to worry too much about your gears.  Once you start feeling the jerky pedal stroke sit down.  Lather, rinse, repeat until you're comfortable.

How was everyone else's weekend?  I got my easy bike on Saturday and my long run yesterday.  This morning I'm hitting the pool. 
2010-04-19 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2800842

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Good advice on taking a spin class/trainer bike to help standing.
Sorry about your showing feedback.  Sadly I know how you feel. We still have not heard any feedback from our Friday showing but I am sure we will later today.  On a random note though the wife received a facebook message from the owners of the house that we want to buy.  They said they were sorry that things could not work out.  They would have loved to sell the house to us since we liked it so much.  They are putting it back on the market since our contingency is up in less than 2 weeks. They need to sell by the end of June or else they would be forced to rent it out.

Quincy - That would be great. I'll look for your PM.  My wife and I have had the same discussions many times about being angry at times for not being able to sell.  We try to look at the positives though in that we actually own a condo and we are both still employed during these tough times.  But I know what you mean in that we did nothing "wrong" and won't be bailed out about the government.  And I don't mean to imply that there aren't those out there who lost their jobs and thus their houses through no fault of their own.  Ok I will stop now since I don't want to turn this into a political thread

Have a good day everyone.  I really need to workout tonight...feeling lazy and tired already and it's only 9am.
2010-04-19 8:59 AM

User image

Regular
Hey Manatees!! Sounds like there are some great work outs out there!!

Sorry for being MIA this weekend.  It was one of those "run around like a chicken with my head cut off" weekends.  Full of soccer games, birthday parties, yard work etc.    Being an ex-city girl, sometimes I grapple with the thought of being such a suburban mom.  I am the cliche!

Who ever said to put my kids in a trailer should be shot (just kidding, of course).  I borrowed my friends trailer and threw my kids in it for a jog on Sat.  Well, my kids are 40 & 50 lbs, and I am 50 lbs overweight.  I thought I was going to DIE!!  LOL!  I got a good work out though!  I jogged 2 miles to a nature trail, then we went for a 2 mile hike (nice and slow, almost 4 year olds don't move too fast) and then a 2 mile jog home. 

Next time, I will put the trailer on the bike.

I really hope that you guys with houses on the market get a bite really soon.

More later, have to update my logs.  Today I plan on strength training and a 1 hour ride.

Kerry

2010-04-19 9:54 AM

User image

Melon Presser
gadgetlaw - 2010-04-19 6:34 AM Hey Emily - how did the swim and run go?  Did you get both in?

Allison and Ryan - how were the house showings?  I am keepijng my fingers crossed for you!

I hope everyone had a good and relaxing weekend.  Mine turned out not as planned.  We did end up getting a bad storm on Friday evening.  Our power went out and didn't come back on until last night.  I didn't get much of anything done!

I do have a stupid question for all you bike experts.  How do you ride standing up?  Ok, stop laughing now.  Seriously, when I rode my bike on Thursday, I was going up a pretty good hill, and I thought I would try standing just to see if it was any easier.  Well, I was in the smallest gear, and when I stood up, I about fell over.  It felt like I needed to be in a higher gear, but I never would have been able to pedal in a higher gear.  Is it just a matter of practice and forcing myself to try harder?  I feel really stupid asking this but if anybody can offer some insight, I would really appreciate it!!

Karen

Sitting down, no matter how hard it feels, is always more energy efficient than standing up.

As the others said, you only stand up when there is a LOT of resistance, gear-wise. As for getting over that last little bit of hill--yes, even though you "waste" more energy, putting your weight right ON the pedals can help you get that extra force on that just HELPS you get up that last bit of hill.

However, by that time, you would be in your very lowest gear (this is a small gear, but you're trying to get up a steep hill, so it SEEMS like a lot of resistance), at a very low cadence ... "grinding," so to speak (as in, it'd be faster walking).

During a triathlon, it almost never makes sense to stand unless it is that last little bit of hill and it's the only way you can get the power to get up it without getting off and walking.
2010-04-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2793312

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-04-15 9:45 PM Yanti,

per my training question a few days ago (seems like weeks in this busy group)...I am looking at my training season in two parts, the first part seems pretty straightforward...the second part is a bit murky...

Right now I am training for the Bigfoot Olympic Triathlon 27 June (A race).  Before that race I have a 10 mile run (end of May) and a sprint tri (6 june).  The sprint tri makes sense to me as a warm up for the oly and the run is a bucket list item, I have no real goals...I've never even raced that distance (done a 15K and a 1/2 Mary).  After that I have another sprint tri in July, the Chicago tri (oly) in August, and one more oly in September).  And really, my big goal is to do the Chicago Marathon (A race) in Octoper.  So I guess this summer while I am in the end of my tri season, is when I need to modify my training to really concentrate on the run... 

The bigfoot Oly and the Chicago Marathon are the only ones I am targeting as A races right now.

WDYT? 

You're right on track for Bigfoot, which is great. You'll need another long run two weeks following the 10-miler (say an 11 or 12 miler), and depending on how recovery from Bigfoot goes, a very easy long run of 12-13 miles the weekend after. Pace needs to be VERY slow. The idea is that you don't want more than 2 weeks between long runs (you can stretch it to 3, but it's not ideal). What marathon training plan are you following?

Then that leaves you 3 months--July, August and September--to get you from the half-mary to the mary distance (training-wise), since much of October will be taper. Do the tris for fun and throw in occasional bikes and swims for cross-training.
2010-04-19 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Hey Manatees!! Nice work out there this weekend. You've gotten some good advice on the bike, Karen.

As far as standing and riding, I do know that staying seated and spinning up a hill does build hip strength. You do want to be careful shifting gears while putting pressure on the pedals up a hill though. It can wear on your chain. I've been told you don't want to stand up on a hill unless you have to...meaning you can't spin in your lowest gear anymore. But, you can stand up to get up to speed with a group or to get through a light, or push up a hilltop. I"m no bike expert, but that's what I've learned so far....FWIW

I sure hope the warmer weather helps you two sell your houses!

Have a great Monday!!

2010-04-19 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Psssssst, Lynn, I'm Allison.  Karen is Gadgetlaw.  Laughing
2010-04-19 1:38 PM

User image

Master

Hi Manatees!  Looks like everyone was super busy this weekend.  Lots of great workouts in there as well...GOOD JOB!!!  I had to work most of the weekend, so I didn't get in any training.  BOOO.  Now hubbs is out of town for the week, so I'll have to try for a couple of lunchtime workouts. 

Good luck to you two with your house on the market!!! 

2010-04-19 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2801730

User image

Master
Vista, CA

thndrcloud - 2010-04-19 10:57 AM Psssssst, Lynn, I'm Allison.  Karen is Gadgetlaw.  Laughing

Oops!! My bad. Sorry.

2010-04-20 6:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Happy Tuesday, everyone!  Did my "boot camp" personal training session this morning.  I am torn on these.  I adore the trainer and I think I really need to be doing some sort of strength training.  BUT, I also feel like it takes away from my time to fit in S/B/R (Swim has suffered the most).  Should I continue doing it leading up to my race in 3 weeks? OR just focus on S/B/R for the next few weeks?
2010-04-20 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2803435

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
dinabean - 2010-04-20 6:40 AM Happy Tuesday, everyone!  Did my "boot camp" personal training session this morning.  I am torn on these.  I adore the trainer and I think I really need to be doing some sort of strength training.  BUT, I also feel like it takes away from my time to fit in S/B/R (Swim has suffered the most).  Should I continue doing it leading up to my race in 3 weeks? OR just focus on S/B/R for the next few weeks?

Dineen,

do you think you could do a short circuit training routine instead of a big, involved boot camp session with a trainer, at least during the "season" and then go back to more in depth weight workouts in the fall/winter?  I get good results with a really basic circuit which leaves me time to train.  You can see my logs if you like.  I think I log too much time in my logs for strength, it's probably even less than I log (I tend to include my gym admin time in my weight lifting hours...because I am lazy).  

I understand wanting to S/B/R but I am pretty passionate about women lifting weights to combat osteoporosis.

As for the next three weeks, since you feel behind on the swim, why don't you spend some extra time in the pool so you feel confident for your race...

Love to hear other's thoughts on this too, it's a really good question!

2010-04-20 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2801068

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TriAya - 2010-04-19 10:05 AM [
You're right on track for Bigfoot, which is great. You'll need another long run two weeks following the 10-miler (say an 11 or 12 miler), and depending on how recovery from Bigfoot goes, a very easy long run of 12-13 miles the weekend after. Pace needs to be VERY slow. The idea is that you don't want more than 2 weeks between long runs (you can stretch it to 3, but it's not ideal). What marathon training plan are you following?

Then that leaves you 3 months--July, August and September--to get you from the half-mary to the mary distance (training-wise), since much of October will be taper. Do the tris for fun and throw in occasional bikes and swims for cross-training.

Awesome, I get it...so simple, THANK YOU! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60