BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2010-12-30 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3267301

User image

Expert
PA
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
GmrGirl - 2010-12-29 10:37 PM This is my thoughts on a training plan for next 2-3 months.  Let me know if it makes sense.  I'm planning on doing a 5K in March. (I don't have the patience to stick to the C25K, it is already boring me)

3 days run 15 minutes gradually increasing to 30 minutes (most likely M,W,F)
1 day a week walk/run for a full hour gradually increasing the run time and decreasing the walk time (Sat or Sun)
2 days a week - foam roller and stretches possibly adding in a little weight training on the arms if they continue to be wimpy. (Husband has a really sophisticated weight machine in the bedroom that I never use)
1 day a week completely off - do nothing

Please let me know if you see any major flaws with this.

it looks like an alright approach to me.  i set my wife up with the Coolrunnings.com C25K program, and we hybridized it because she wanted to get to the 5k a little quicker than that program went.  and she wanted to be able to run a sub 30 min 5k as well, so we had to figure out some speed work too.  i ended up just giving her some tips along the way as to what worked for me.
you'll know when your body is able to build beyond the 15min/3x-week, physically and mentally.  the idea of the 1 day/week walk-run for an hour sounds ok, but may not be necessary, but hey, any extra volume you can add in to your routine is always a good thing.
im not sure though about the purpose of including the foam roller and stretching 2/week though.  if you're not having pain issues, i wouldnt bother with it.  and i never stretch for anything, ever.  i just get up, get out, and go.  (your methods may vary)
all in all, to me i dont really find anything glaringly bad about your training approach.  just pay attention to what your body tells you.  believe me, you'll know.
my first time EVER running, i went out and did 3.25 miles at a 10:30 pace.  i could hardly move my legs the last half mile and had to miss the whole next week of training because my entire body was so stinkin' sore.  live and learn....  
have fun!

Edited by wabash 2010-12-30 7:34 AM

2010-12-30 7:41 AM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I love my foam rollers.  I use Trigger Point's Grid for the actual foam roller we think of for the side of the thigh.  TP also makes a line of (overpriced) smaller rollers for the calves etc.  I've been using the grid for several months.  It really helped the IT band.  I use it every day now.  I got the other ones for Christmas from my wife/manager who got them from our LBS where the running store manager was nice enough to sell at a sale price 33%. 

I inherited a great weight machine for a couple of hundred dollars from the guy we bought the house from...he couldn't take it so I got a $1000 machine for $200 in great shape.  I used it sporadically over the past 2 years but after getting hurt, I couldn't run or bike so I added swim sessions and strength workout and have been using it religiously this winter with great results.  The key has been to try to tone and strengthen without adding a lot of heavy muscled bulk.  I have ARMS and a way better core. The result has been more comfort on the trainer and better times in the pool.  All good.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-30 8:14 AM
2010-12-30 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3267572

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
wabash - 2010-12-30 7:31 AM
GmrGirl - 2010-12-29 10:37 PM This is my thoughts on a training plan for next 2-3 months.  Let me know if it makes sense.  I'm planning on doing a 5K in March. (I don't have the patience to stick to the C25K, it is already boring me)

3 days run 15 minutes gradually increasing to 30 minutes (most likely M,W,F)
1 day a week walk/run for a full hour gradually increasing the run time and decreasing the walk time (Sat or Sun)
2 days a week - foam roller and stretches possibly adding in a little weight training on the arms if they continue to be wimpy. (Husband has a really sophisticated weight machine in the bedroom that I never use)
1 day a week completely off - do nothing

Please let me know if you see any major flaws with this.

it looks like an alright approach to me.  i set my wife up with the Coolrunnings.com C25K program, and we hybridized it because she wanted to get to the 5k a little quicker than that program went.  and she wanted to be able to run a sub 30 min 5k as well, so we had to figure out some speed work too.  i ended up just giving her some tips along the way as to what worked for me.
you'll know when your body is able to build beyond the 15min/3x-week, physically and mentally.  the idea of the 1 day/week walk-run for an hour sounds ok, but may not be necessary, but hey, any extra volume you can add in to your routine is always a good thing.
im not sure though about the purpose of including the foam roller and stretching 2/week though.  if you're not having pain issues, i wouldnt bother with it.  and i never stretch for anything, ever.  i just get up, get out, and go.  (your methods may vary)
all in all, to me i dont really find anything glaringly bad about your training approach.  just pay attention to what your body tells you.  believe me, you'll know.
my first time EVER running, i went out and did 3.25 miles at a 10:30 pace.  i could hardly move my legs the last half mile and had to miss the whole next week of training because my entire body was so stinkin' sore.  live and learn....  
have fun!

The stretching/foam rollers are more for something to do on the off days.  Can't bike yet, and do not have a gym or any indoor equipment except the weight machine that I'm really not into.  Figure those things will help the core and keep me from trying to run 6 days a week which is what i've been tempted to do lately.  I don't stretch before runs either.  I'm usually still 1/2 asleep when I get up and go.
2010-12-30 8:17 AM
in reply to: #3267637

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
"The stretching/foam rollers are more for something to do on the off days."

What's an off day?  Seriously, I get one rest day a week.  If I waited to use foam rollers until then, I'd be right back at the doctor with another IT band or worse.  I use them every day.  Stretching/yoga after every workout now.  My recovery is better, my muscles feel very relaxed when not in use...all good.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-30 8:18 AM
2010-12-30 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
I <3 foam rollers! I can't go without mine now. I couldn't run if I didn't have mine. I get some weird cramps/tightness in my shins when running (not shin splints) and these are the only thing I can use to get them out.
2010-12-30 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3267150

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
reid15 - 2010-12-29 7:44 PM
Wow, I just realized I must have been on the "naughty list".  I did get arm warmers though....

Hehehe...arm warmers got two of us on the "naughty list" (right Gmrgirl?)  4 days before Christmas...

2010-12-30 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Enrique- it's ok I get up 4-5am sometimes to workout before work... It's def doable. On the issue of stretching/foam rollers it's almost a must. I was pretty much injured (my hip) all of 09. I started doing more yoga and stretching and pilates and this year is the best I"ve felt in  a long time. Hmmm... or maybe it was bc I added swim and bike? IDK...

Also to all the new swimmers- I couldn't barely to 2 laps when starting last Jan. By about April I could do 1 mi straight (2200yds).  By Sept I did 2.4 mi and felt fine when I got out of the water.  Just took 2.5 months off totally of swimming and I got back in the pool and did an hour con't (3000yds).  It get easier!!! The key is to get the basics done... Go to master's swim or even google/youtube swimming videos! On that note I have to get out of bed, get my starbucks, and hit the trainer!!!
2010-12-30 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH

Oh yea... I was on the naughty list. No tri stuff for me. But it's ok I'm my own santa and Amazon.com is my workshop!! love it!

2010-12-30 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3267586

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
I used it sporadically over the past 2 years but after getting hurt, I couldn't run or bike so I added swim sessions and strength workout and have been using it religiously this winter with great results.  The key has been to try to tone and strengthen without adding a lot of heavy muscled bulk.  I have ARMS and a way better core. The result has been more comfort on the trainer and better times in the pool.  All good.

I plan on starting P90X to help w/ lean muscle... kinda scared
2010-12-30 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3267287

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
sjhodgson - 2010-12-29 9:29 PM OK, so I did 900yds swim today in about 27min.  Swimming is my weakest point and I know everyones times are different but to be an average begginer, what should I shoot for as far as time??  What do you think is realistic (in avg. time/100 yrds).  I guess I'm trying to set a goal for myself for when my race comes up...it's 1500m swim.

Oh and how come when I reply to individual posts they just start a new thread instead of attaching to the comment I was replying to??? : / 

3 minutes/100 yards isn't a bad starting point for an "average beginner."  When considering a goal, keep in mind you might have multiple goals competing for your time and attention.  Could you swim the 1500 m in less than 30 minutes?  Sounds impossible, but if that's your goal, take some lessons and swim.swim.swim.swim.swim and you can make it happen.  A couple other facters come into play here.  First, a wetsuit adds bouyancy (especially in the legs) which puts you flatter in the water (more efficient and faster) but your arms are working against the resistance of the neoprene.  Second, there's no black line and no wall every 25 yards or 50 meters, so it's harder to judge speed in the open water.  Third, you'll have 50 of your closest "friends" swimming next to and over you and that chaos can be difficult.  My advice to first-time triathletes (unless you're already a top-notch swimmer) is to stand on the shore and slowly count to 10, 15, or even 20 while your "wave" thrashes around.  Then smoothly and calmly slide into the water and start swimming.  You'll catch up to them within a couple hundred yards but they'll have thinned out enough that you can avoid most of the contact.  Also keep in mind that it may be difficult to measure open-water courses, so swims are notoriously short/long and that affects your time.  Many races also include the run from the beach to the transition area in the "swim" time and for some races, that can be several hundred yards (2-3 minutes). 
2010-12-30 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3267840

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
laurak11 - 2010-12-30 10:23 AM Enrique- it's ok I get up 4-5am sometimes to workout before work... It's def doable. On the issue of stretching/foam rollers it's almost a must. I was pretty much injured (my hip) all of 09. I started doing more yoga and stretching and pilates and this year is the best I"ve felt in  a long time. Hmmm... or maybe it was bc I added swim and bike? IDK...

Also to all the new swimmers- I couldn't barely to 2 laps when starting last Jan. By about April I could do 1 mi straight (2200yds).  By Sept I did 2.4 mi and felt fine when I got out of the water.  Just took 2.5 months off totally of swimming and I got back in the pool and did an hour con't (3000yds).  It get easier!!! The key is to get the basics done... Go to master's swim or even google/youtube swimming videos! On that note I have to get out of bed, get my starbucks, and hit the trainer!!!

Ahhh, so you can be the one to give me my morning wake up call to get in a workout before work. If you must, I do accept Starbucks delivered to my house. Whatever seasonal latte's or a caramel macchiato. Thanks :D

2010-12-30 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3267832

User image

Veteran
Peoria Heights
McFuzz - 2010-12-30 9:21 AM
reid15 - 2010-12-29 7:44 PM
Wow, I just realized I must have been on the "naughty list".  I did get arm warmers though....

Hehehe...arm warmers got two of us on the "naughty list" (right Gmrgirl?)  4 days before Christmas...

I know not what "naughty list" you speak of.  I am never going to live that one down.  But they are very nice arm warmers and useful.
2010-12-30 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3267915

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
zee744 - 2010-12-30 10:53 AM
laurak11 - 2010-12-30 10:23 AM Enrique- it's ok I get up 4-5am sometimes to workout before work... It's def doable. On the issue of stretching/foam rollers it's almost a must. I was pretty much injured (my hip) all of 09. I started doing more yoga and stretching and pilates and this year is the best I"ve felt in  a long time. Hmmm... or maybe it was bc I added swim and bike? IDK...

Ahhh, so you can be the one to give me my morning wake up call to get in a workout before work. If you must, I do accept Starbucks delivered to my house. Whatever seasonal latte's or a caramel macchiato. Thanks :D

Sure Zee I'll have that coming right up . As you can see I'm still in my Pj's drinking espresso roast w/ egg nog creamer, but I do have to work 7p-7a so in my mind it's justifiable.
2010-12-30 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3267955

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
laurak11 - 2010-12-30 11:12 AM
zee744 - 2010-12-30 10:53 AM

Sure Zee I'll have that coming right up . As you can see I'm still in my Pj's drinking espresso roast w/ egg nog creamer, but I do have to work 7p-7a so in my mind it's justifiable.

Sweet, good deal Yes, that's 100% justifiable, though I doubt I would even be functioning if I were you right now. How bout we trade, you work for me and I'll be in your pj's drinking coffee. Err wait no, I'll be in MY pj's drinking coffee, yea, thats it.

Eggnog lattes are amazing. At first I thought...eggnog=good, coffee=excellent, eggnog in coffee=ehh not so much. Then I had a Sbux eggnog latte and totally changed my mind.

On another note, I know you'll be able to do IM SG and do it well!! Personally I had very little prep time for my IM. My step-mom did VERY little training (really stress the very, then go 3-4 hours less per week than what you would consider VERY little training for an IM) for IMLP and finished it twice. This past year my old man stayed with her the whole time (he's done 5) and he was literally the last finisher. Most of it is all in your head and KNOWING you WILL do it.

Edited by zee744 2010-12-30 10:25 AM
2010-12-30 11:20 AM

User image

New user

Eastern Iowa
Lot's of good stuff in this thread.  McFuzz that is a great idea about the swim because I was watching a youtube video last night and saw all the people swimming and was trying to figure out how I would make it through all that.

Swimming felt so good last night I may jump in the pool again today.  I will have no workout tomorrow then see what the weekend brings for weather to determine if it will be inside or outside for training.
2010-12-30 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I totally echo Mike's ideas about the swim start.  The first tri was a hassle with people grabbing and moving over and around me.  I'm there for fun and suddenly I feel like someone is trying to drown me.  After that, I listened to the experienced ones and followed their advice.  I start to the right side of the bunch, hesitate, start to "Tarzan" first and watch for openings to develop and then slide right in and go.  My last tris have been hassle free nearly on the swim.  Love open water.  I know that will be a bit of a challenge to achieve in Wisconsin but I plan to talk to LOTS of people who've done it to figure out what's best.     My swim has really improved this winter and I'd like to get out toward the top 3rd of my age group.  I'll be higher than that on the bike.  The run, not so much but I will be in shape enough to do OK on it so the race should go fine. At least it does in my head   I think thats half the battle.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-30 11:29 AM

2010-12-30 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
2,400 people all starting at the same time in an Ironman is rather daunting but was a blast. Once you get going and it spreads out it becomes easier. If you can wait for 30-60 seconds, do so. I was "waiting" with my dad at the start but took off after 10 seconds, couldn't wait any longer! IMLP is nice because if you can get to the buoys there is a cord about 6ft under water that holds the buoys and runs for the entire course. Makes it SO easy for staying on a line. Also, one HUGE advantage to all the people is that a current actually develops. With the added buoyancy of the wetsuit you can actually feel yourself being pulled along by 2,400 of your closest buddies. Its pretty cool. Haven't experienced that in any other races.
2010-12-30 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
Hey GMrgirl,I think your 5k plan is good but I would add strength training once or better, twice a week. When you begin running it's a good idea to strengthen core, hips, glutes, hams, all the muscles you use when running. That and stretching/rolling will help keep you healthy. I began building up milage before doing specific strength training for runners and ended up hurting my glute and my knees. Just IMO...I was ok up to 3 miles bit soon you'll be doing more then that and it'll make a big difference to have strong limber legs...Meanwhile, I'm still sick... It's all cups of tea and neti pots around here. Blah.Question: do y'all workout when you have a cold? I feel lethargic and stuffed up but I could probably do something ez today. Go ez or ?
2010-12-30 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Pulled along, I like that Nate.  I supposed hooking a tether on one of the faster ones is out of the question?
2010-12-30 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3267038

User image

Expert
Missouri
srichards428 - 2010-12-29 6:22 PM
soccermom15 - 2010-12-29 3:21 PM

Iceman (makes me think “Top Gun”Smile) – Could I get you to talk to my son?  At 20 he of course, thinks he’s invincible.  When we found out he had starting smoking he told us he would quit.  Turns out he didn’t – he’s away at school most of the time so it’s hard for us to know.  He knows we don’t approve and keeps saying he’ll quit but we have our doubts.  His attitude is “it won’t happen to me”. 

n3dinc – congrats on signing up!  I started with the “what have I done?” about 10 weeks before my first tri.  But by race day I was more than ready and you will be too.

Shawn – we were at the same race in Carlyle.  I actually did wear earplugs that day because I’d heard that cold water could cause dizziness.  Seemed to help me – I may have been slow getting out of the water, but no dizziness.

Zee744 and corncub – hope you’re feeling better soon.

Well, you would think that having almost 2 weeks off work would leave me plenty of time for training, right?  Wrong!  I haven’t been able to get in nearly the workouts that I had planned, but at least I’m getting something in.  DH and I spent all day yesterday buying a new car (new to us anyway).  Such a long, drawn-out process.  I did manage to get in a short run and some strength training last night.  And now that the car issue is settled, I can get back to getting in some good workouts.  I’ve got a tempo run scheduled for tonight (6-7 miles total) – probably be on the TM since it’s cold and rainy here today. 

Janet

Are yu going to do Carlyle in 2011?  I think I'm going to sign up before the end of the year.  I saw that If you sign up before December 31, 2010 it will cost $65.00.  Better than last year prices.

I would love to do it again this year, but I probably won't be able to.  Between the race fee/wetsuit rental/overnight hotel cost/etc., I'm not sure we can afford it this year.  I think I'll be sticking with local races, but it's definitely going to be on my schedule for 2012.
2010-12-30 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Did someone here want to check out Wheelbuilder?  Now is the time.  Discount coupons.

http://wheelbuildercom.createsend3.com/T/ViewEmail/r/257D840624B0FB32/2E9627161D46CC4D0F8C96E86323F7F9

2010-12-30 1:13 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Well guys I smoked my last cigarette EVER last night.  That's it for me.  I'm done!  

2010-12-30 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
HI all,
Just thought I'd chime in on a few topics.
Regarding foam rollers....my best friend.  I had a pretty bad IT band problem a few years ago.  Since then I roll after every run.  Not only have I not had a return of the dreaded IT problem, but it drastically reduces soreness.

Swimming:  Also, try to practice open water swims.  Pool swim and OWS can be quite different.  I guess it alot of it has to do with your overall comfort in the water.  I had to struggle to become at ease in open water.  Over time I've gotten better although still have some anxiety.  So don't let the race be the first time you are in open water or the first time you swim in a wetsuit.  The wet suit can feel very restricting.  That combined with the excitement of a race and perhaps cold water can make you feel out of breath which leads to panic attacks.  Take it from me.  I've had some monumental minutes of panic.  Some tips I've learned along the way...just what Mike said earlier, wait a bit and put yourself to the outside.  Also, once in the water, pull out the neck of your suit (if full sleeved) to get some water in the suit.  Helps with that constricting feeling.  And start out at what seems to be a very slow pace.  That will keep you from going out too fast and then not being able to catch your breath.  Once you are comfortable you can pick up your pace.

Susie
2010-12-30 1:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Zee- I know I'll be able to finish it.  I did well in my last one but I was also fortunate to ride the coarse from my house every weekend and swim in lake erie when I wanted.  I "know" I will do it, just have some nerves.... It wouldnt' be an IM if you weren't alittle intimidated
2010-12-30 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3267860

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
laurak11 - 2010-12-30 10:31 AM
I used it sporadically over the past 2 years but after getting hurt, I couldn't run or bike so I added swim sessions and strength workout and have been using it religiously this winter with great results.  The key has been to try to tone and strengthen without adding a lot of heavy muscled bulk.  I have ARMS and a way better core. The result has been more comfort on the trainer and better times in the pool.  All good.

I plan on starting P90X to help w/ lean muscle... kinda scared

I have it and it's tough. I started 3 weeks ago.. did a week, then started the tri-training. I miss it already. I need to incorporate it into my weekday 2 a days that start Jan 3rd. The stretch and yoga are nice. I don't do pull-ups...I use bands. It's all adjustable to your gear and fitness level. ENJOY! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106