BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-02-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!

What a nice break in the weather!  I bet it's 60 F out there.  I went for a quick 3 miles at lunch time in shorts in Feb - gotta love that!  I also got new shoes.  I love the feel of new shoes.  Of couse, I forgot socks so that made splashing through puddles a little chilly!

For those of you where it has warmed up, enjoy it while it lasts. 

2011-02-18 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
Sorry I have been MIA for a little bit here.  Thanks for the link to those core exercises that is one part of my strength training I really need to focus on.  As for the actually training though I have had to take it easy this week since I injured myself rock climbing, just enough to where if I lift my elbow above my head it opens up again... disgusting I know but this stopped me from swimming obviously and there was no strength training with that going on.  As for biking there has been some great weather here in Minnesota and I spent a few days getting the bike ready just in time for a day of complete fog and now we are back in the 20s.  Back to the stationary bike on Saturday.  I did get some miles in running today and did a little lifting with my core workout.

How are buso classes?  They look like a great core workout!  I have been meaning to get into some of those and a few spinning classes just to break up the monotony of winter.

As for the bilateral breathing it is nice that I have the hang of it now and it is actually second nature to swim three strokes to one breath now!  It probably helps that I wasn't used to freestyle to begin with.

Have a great Presidents Day weekend everyone!
Marcus
2011-02-19 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Marcus, good job on incorporating the bilateral breathing from the beginning. Probably the best plan!

OK, so my friend who I'm doing the 1/2 with wants to do a sprint tri on 3/13, which is 2 weeks after our half.  Surprised The swim and the run should be OK, but ummmm...I'll have to find my bike and dust it off.  Anyone have a bike heavy two week training program?!  Thinking I'd maybe be able to get in 4 or 5 race distance bricks and a few swims and hope for the best.  It's a friendly local event...same venue as our first tri a year and a half ago. 
2011-02-19 7:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
It blows me away, reading about all of those who are already starting events! Back down to the 20's and teens at night here, although the short and quick warm up last week killed a lot of the snow mountains. I can't wait till spring.
2011-02-19 8:24 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Another spinning class this morning - got a nice compliment from one of my students who told me he thought I did a good job of coaching and explaining the ride (nice to get some feedback!)

It's a bright, sunny day here today, temps in the 40s, but WICKED WIND! I have plans to go for a longer-ish run with a friend later today. I hope we don't get blown away.... I'm just glad I'm not trying to bike in this!
2011-02-19 4:43 PM

User image

Missed my first training workout today (only been at it 3 weeks...) I suppose it was bound to happen. I went to the pool and there was a swim meet going on with hundreds of kids everywhere! No open lanes. So sad! I'm turning it into a day off. Did my first back to back workout yesterday. Biked for one hour then ran for 30 minutes. My shins were screaming about 5 minutes into my run. Back on the horse tomorrow!

2011-02-20 9:25 AM

User image

Hi everyone! I am excited to report that my swimming is getting better I am still super slow and can only breath on one side but I am able to do my 20 laps without stopping and that is exciting! Now I just need to get faster.

Yesterday I did a sprint so see how I was doing and oh my gosh! the running after the bike is super hard I felt like my legs were so heavy!

7 more weeks to go!

2011-02-20 12:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Good for you! I've been swimming for tri's for three years and I'm still the slowest one in the water, I'm just not tired when I get out and I can bike so much better, which helps my run. You won't win a tri on the swim, but you can crash and burn on the other two legs if you burn out due to the swim. Also glad you tried the bike/run combo. Until you live it, you don't understand what that's like.
2011-02-20 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
9 mile run and 3300 yards. Going to be a real challenge to do a 56 mile ride and 13 mile run this summer.
2011-02-20 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3363844

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Ariasx2 - 2011-02-20 9:25 AM

Hi everyone! I am excited to report that my swimming is getting better I am still super slow and can only breath on one side but I am able to do my 20 laps without stopping and that is exciting! Now I just need to get faster.

Yesterday I did a sprint so see how I was doing and oh my gosh! the running after the bike is super hard I felt like my legs were so heavy!

7 more weeks to go!

Awesome swim! The speed will come. And good practice with the bike to run. It is hard!
2011-02-21 6:44 AM

User image

New user
Here is my "Help keep me accountable post."  Last week went very well. I was able to hit all my training sessions:2 strength(P90X), 2 swim, 2 bike and 2 run.  According to my BT Training Log, the total minutes of training were 310.  I am using my training and nutrition plan for fat loss also and this week my BF% went down .4%.  Today is the beginning of week 4 of 12. 
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I found a used 2008 Cannondale Slice on Craigslist.  I bought it yesterday and plan to take it to the bike shop in town and have them go over it and help me with the fit. 

2011-02-21 10:08 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay got in 15 ish hours of workouts last week, but the 19 mile run on Sunday (15 miles into the wind, windchil 20 ish) kicked my butt. 

Started this week off with 2700 yard swim at 5:30 am... I think it is nap time now at 8 am.  Oh well 45 ish mile bike planned for this afternoon.

I am not sure about the faster part of swimming, I have been swimming 3 years and am not faster, but you do get stronger and the swim does not trash you for the rest of the day.

Don't worry too much about the run after the 56 mile bike.  If you follow the plan you will get there.  A HIM is really not so bad.....well compared to an IM 8).  The 13.1 miles is soooo much shorter than 26.2.  And 56 miles on the bike is sooo much more pleasant than 112.  But ya the first one will kick your butt.  Trust in your training plan, it will cary you through.  do you have your nutrition for the HIM figured out?  Very important! 
2011-02-21 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey all!  Looks like some good, consistent training shaping up for several of our group.  Just for the record, you HIM and IM folks are deranged (I mean that in a good way ). 

Looking like my first tri of the season will be a sprint on 4/10 instead of the earlier one my friend had her eye on.  I'm also starting to think about an OLY.  Since my (slow but sure) running volume is already there for Cowtown 1/2 this Sunday, and I'm swimming 1600 yards easily (and again, slowly) as recovery from running, I would just need to add in the bilke, give open water swimming a try, and put it all together.  Ha, that's a big "just"!  There is an OLY nearby on 5/15.   Hubby & I are off for 2 weeks to Hawaii in late May/early June.  That will not likely be prime training time, so I would kind of like to make a push for something before that.  Also hate to drop my running volume down too much.  Just looking to finish, and stay motivated on the fitness journey.  Thoughts from you more experienced folks on whether that is too soon given where I am?  Be honest...what's left of my middle aged ego can take it.

2011-02-21 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3365009

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut

I really need help with the Nutrition plan for the HIM.  I am totally lost and have the lowest comfort level in my readiness in the nutrition area. 

For race day nutrition, I just ordered a few different gels (Hammer) so I can try training with them and see how my stomach reacts, also grabbed a packet of Perpetuem to try.  So far the gels are disgusting and can’t understand why anyone would invent such a thing!  Last year I did drink the Amino Vital Endurance with Amino Acids which wasn’t the greatest on the stomach either, but did help with keeping me going on the longer stints.  Just can’t drink it before the run.

For training, the long road up to race day, I am trying to eat healthier foods; I'm currently taking a multi-vitamin (GNC) and a protein recovery (GNC AMP) drink to help me grind through building up my “Base” and give me something to work with the following day. 

As far as normal foods go, I love the peanut butter, so that goes on the toast/bread when I’m feeling a bit low on fuel or typical eggs every now and then, for breakfast, etc.

I am mentally preparing for the night before and early morning the day of, trying to figure out what to bring to a hotel several 100 miles from home without a kitchen. (I hear the restaurants are a nightmare in that area at that time.)   I want to start an inventory/check list of supplies to bring so I can reduce the risk of having any nutrition issues the day of.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

2011-02-21 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3365453

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
cobratodd - 2011-02-21 2:43 PM

I really need help with the Nutrition plan for the HIM.  I am totally lost and have the lowest comfort level in my readiness in the nutrition area. 

For race day nutrition, I just ordered a few different gels (Hammer) so I can try training with them and see how my stomach reacts, also grabbed a packet of Perpetuem to try.  So far the gels are disgusting and can’t understand why anyone would invent such a thing!  Last year I did drink the Amino Vital Endurance with Amino Acids which wasn’t the greatest on the stomach either, but did help with keeping me going on the longer stints.  Just can’t drink it before the run.

For training, the long road up to race day, I am trying to eat healthier foods; I'm currently taking a multi-vitamin (GNC) and a protein recovery (GNC AMP) drink to help me grind through building up my “Base” and give me something to work with the following day. 

As far as normal foods go, I love the peanut butter, so that goes on the toast/bread when I’m feeling a bit low on fuel or typical eggs every now and then, for breakfast, etc.

I am mentally preparing for the night before and early morning the day of, trying to figure out what to bring to a hotel several 100 miles from home without a kitchen. (I hear the restaurants are a nightmare in that area at that time.)   I want to start an inventory/check list of supplies to bring so I can reduce the risk of having any nutrition issues the day of.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

Hey Todd,

Hopefully Steve will chime in on this too.... But IMO, for longer events like HIM, it's all about getting the calories you need to keep you going for the duration of the event. I'll try to pull together some links on nutrition when I have a little more time. But IIRC, most people really can't process more than somewhere around 250 - 300 calories per hour. You need to figure out what the best way FOR YOU to get those calories is going to be. In my 2 HIMs, I mixed up 2 bottles that contained about 350 calories each to use on the bike, which were supplemented with plain water in my aero bottle. On the run I carried a small gel flask with a few hundred calories worth of gel, and supplemented that with water and/or sports drink on the course. Some people prefer their calories in liquid form, others like gels, others like solid food. It's really pretty individual.... Standard sports drinks like gatorade, powerade, accelerade, etc., are not going to do it, because you would have to concentrate them so much that you couldn't stand to drink them... If you want to go liquid, some options to consider: Hammer Perpetuem or Sustained Energy can be concentrated and are still pallatable (sp?), Infinit Nutrition makes custom blends, you can specify parameters like calories, flavoring, electrolytes, whether you want to add protein, etc. I now mix my own using plain maltodextrin (the primary carb in most sports nutrition products). It has very little flavor, so I can mix it to whatever calorie content I want, and then add flavoring/electrolytes to my preference. It takes a little experimentation, but I've really come to prefer doing it that way.... If you want non-liquid options, some people like uncrustables PB & J sandwiches, power bars, clif bars, etc. I personally do better with liquids & gels in a race setting, but we're all different.

As for race day breakfast, maybe start experimenting with some options. One of my favorite race day meals is toast or bagel with peanut butter & a banana. I might sip some sports drink or take a gel a half-hour to 15 minutes before the race start to top of the tank with a few calories before the race starts.

Luckily you have some time to experiment and figure out what works. It's a good thing you're thinking about it now, and not 2 weeks before your race!
2011-02-21 3:05 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
My nutrition during the race is pretty simple. 

HIM: 1 gel 15 min before the race,
Bike = 1100 calories of Infinit (tripple concentration on lowest flavor setting) taken with water = 300 cal /hour (give or take always some left in the bottom of the aero bottle)
Run = 1 gel per 30 minutes = 180-200 calories per hour.  I do not have a gel in the first 2-3 miles of the run so that my stomach can settle into running. 

IM= 2 bottles 1 for the first 56 miles 1 for the 2nd 56 miles
Run= same 1 gel per 25-30 minutes.  With the longer race I probably have 1 extra gell maybe 2 over the course of the race as one may fall behind a touch with calories after 10hours + . 

If you cant stomach gels (they are tastey) there are Chomps, essentially gummies that have your salt and potasium and calories in them that you chew.  Some like sports beans, paydays, potatoes, pbj, snickers, cookies, etc. 

I just use the infinit and gels because they are easy to eat on the go and the math is really easy.  You may find it hard to belive but one's math can get a bit mushy after 11 hours on the course.  Did that powerbar have 200 calories of 250 and the banana had 100, the pbj was 400, the gatoraid was 100, the potato was 247 (wait did it have butter on it), the chomps/chews were 25 calories each... hrm so to get my full 3000 caloires injested over 12 hours am I on track..?

Remember that it may rain, it may get hot and melt things and ice cold coke does not taste the same when it is 100F out. 

On a race like an IM you can be tricky and put a soda in a thermal bag with one of those crush it icepacks for your special needs bag.  Though that sounds really nice, I just don't like to take the time to get too fancy. 

So yes 200-250 calories per hour on the run, 250-300 calories on the bike, all the plankton and algea you want on the swim. 

Oh and I will share that on my first HIM I was closer to 125 calories per hour and bonked at mile 12 on the run.  I ended up walking it in the last mile with people asking me if I was ok. (Granted it was 105F out and water stations were 2.5 miles appart) With the above nutrition I was fine on a 2nd HIM and on both IM's.  I will use the same nutrition for this years IM.  For marathons, I still have 1 gel per 30 min starting at 45 min into the run. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-02-21 3:08 PM

2011-02-21 5:20 PM

User image

My nutrition experience was only with marathon-ing, not with the swimming and biking mixed in, but I can say that I used GU gels while running and they were like rocket fuel at times. I would eat one and feel my body energizing during the next 15 minutes or so. What did people do 30 years ago?! The only one I ever really likes was Vanilla Bean-the rest were too sweet for me.

A guy working at a local bike shop had a lot of good things to say about Hammer. He also recommended going to their site to read up on nutrition for endurance sports: http://www.hammernutrition.com/knowledge/

You could really spend days reading all of the articles they have here, but you can also skim through and find ones that are more interesting to you. I tried Hammer HEED (a sports drink mix) in "subtle melon" flavor and it was really good. A hint of flavor and not overwhelmingly sweet and easy on the stomach. They have a few "subtle" flavors to choose from.

Let us know if you find anything you really like!
2011-02-21 5:43 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Hammer gels and other gels are runier than GU is.  I like a little more thikness.  My favorite is triberry GU.  The chomps/chews are alright on the bike, but I am often breathing hard enough on the run that it is distracting to chew them.  GU gave me some free stuff, so I am working on my current supply.  I use the chomps on the trainer at home, but on the road I like Infinit as it is less of a hassel if you don't want to stop and eat your snacks. 
2011-02-21 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
the information and experience from this site is truly priceless!! Thank you all.
2011-02-22 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3366019

New user
Hey there,
  So I am attempting my first sprint tri this year.  I have very limited training just your basic exercise/working out.  I have been at the workouts with the intention to work towards the ST since November and things are going fairly well.  I am feeling really good about most stuff but here's today's question;  I am going to begin hitting the bike a little more now but it has to be indoors right now (yeah, I live in Wisconsin :-)).  I have access to a variety of bike styles (upright or recumbent) and didn't know if there was reason to discern between styles or is it just a matter of getting on anything right now? 
  Any help is good help

TIA-
Marnie
2011-02-23 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hi Marnie, just wanted to say good going on your training!  I'm a total bike novice, but others seem to be into spinning classes, so I would guess that if you can get on a spin bikes it would be good.  I'm sure others will chime in who actually know what they are talking about Smile.

Half marathon coming up on Sunday, then I'll have to figure out how to train next.  Really want to keep the running volume up, swimming is at least comfortable, so need to add in the biking piece...including probably buying a bike to replace my mtn bike.  Glad there are some bike savvy folks here, get ready for lots of questions.  

I would love to hear your thoughts on where to begin on bike shopping.  I can join a group (slow) ride on my mtn bike that is out of a local bike shop.  Would that be a good way to start learning?  I really don't want to spent too much $$'s on the bike, and don't mind used....if I just knew what to look for.  Also have a former co-worker who is big into biking who has offered to help me shop, but he's out of work, and I would feel like I need to pay him something for his time.  Maybe worth it if he could help me go used in a smart way??

2011-02-23 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3368274

User image

Regular
Minnesota
squirt - 2011-02-23 8:09 AM

I would love to hear your thoughts on where to begin on bike shopping.  I can join a group (slow) ride on my mtn bike that is out of a local bike shop.  Would that be a good way to start learning?  I really don't want to spent too much $$'s on the bike, and don't mind used....if I just knew what to look for.  Also have a former co-worker who is big into biking who has offered to help me shop, but he's out of work, and I would feel like I need to pay him something for his time.  Maybe worth it if he could help me go used in a smart way??

Hi Squirt,
You will probably get very good advice from a local bike store, especially if they have sell a lot of road bikes. They will have a number of different sizes in any given model and you can try them out to make sure you get the right size, which is crucial for comfort.  I can't claim to be an expert but I've picked up some knowledge from asking questions. I have been riding a 2005 Lemond road bike  that has a carbon fork and some other parts are carbon too. Carbon is spendy, so a mix of carbon and aluminum is what many mid-range road bikes will have. The other thing to look for is the components--Shimano components are on a lot of bikes, and I have been very happy with a 105 front derailleur and an Ultegra rear-deraileur. The rear one is especially smooth and it is the better component (Shimano has 5 levels, from low to high end like this : sora, tiagra, 105, ultegra, dura-ace). Sram and Campagnolo are the other 2 big road bike component makers --someone else may know more about them than I do.  You can buy a road bike and put clip-on aero bars on it--actually if you are buying a bike at a bikestore, make sure that would be feasible. A road bike may fit you well as a road bike but the geometry may be off if you put aerobars on it.    Others may know more about wheels and other components than I do. I just used the wheels that came with the bike (Bontrager) and am happy enough with them. I bought the Lemond as a last year's model at a bike store in March and they wanted to unload stuff before the new models came in. So now is a good time to look around. 

For used, try craigslist--someone in our group just got a cannondale from craigslist; if you find something you think would work, post the manufacturer, model, year, and components (derailleurs etc) to our mentor group for some advice.   Also check your local bike shop which may have a used bike bulletin board fo people who are upgrading and want to sell their old bikes.  The bike is the longest part of any triathlon and it seems worth it (to me at least) to get the fastest, most comfortable ride that is in your price range.

Good luck with the half marathon! I hope to get back on track with training for mine. I see a PT tomorrow to find out what is causing my hip and lower back pain when running.
--Beth

Edited by ewengler 2011-02-23 5:39 PM
2011-02-23 9:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
Just to keep in the back of your mind, for those who are reaching out to test their limits, and are breaking into this sport, listen to what your body is telling you... Good reading:

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/How_to_Tell_When_You_re_Over-Reaching_or_Over-Training.htm

2011-02-24 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3363316

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
conanzchic - 2011-02-19 5:43 PM

Missed my first training workout today (only been at it 3 weeks...) I suppose it was bound to happen. I went to the pool and there was a swim meet going on with hundreds of kids everywhere! No open lanes. So sad! I'm turning it into a day off. Did my first back to back workout yesterday. Biked for one hour then ran for 30 minutes. My shins were screaming about 5 minutes into my run. Back on the horse tomorrow!

Ah - your first missed workout.... Believe me when I say it won't be your last! Try not to fret about it, and just move on. Consistency is key, but everyone misses training now and again. Nice job on your first brick!!
2011-02-24 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3364624

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tjcin - 2011-02-21 7:44 AM

Here is my "Help keep me accountable post."  Last week went very well. I was able to hit all my training sessions:2 strength(P90X), 2 swim, 2 bike and 2 run.  According to my BT Training Log, the total minutes of training were 310.  I am using my training and nutrition plan for fat loss also and this week my BF% went down .4%.  Today is the beginning of week 4 of 12. 
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I found a used 2008 Cannondale Slice on Craigslist.  I bought it yesterday and plan to take it to the bike shop in town and have them go over it and help me with the fit. 

Nice job gettint all of your training in, and on sticking to your nutrition plan! Congrats on the new bike!!! Post a pic if you get a chance!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23