BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-21 9:15 AM
in reply to: #3458067

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

kenj - 2011-04-21 7:15 AM Its almost the weekend, how is everyone's training going this week?

Mine is off a bit, but it is mostly due to the back and forth between east coast and west coast time zones the last month or so. Plus the late start of spring here in the northeast has the enthusiasm off a bit, but it is supposed to improve next week. 

Yes - bingo.  I was in a cr@p mood yesterday.  I am sick of rain.  I am sick of 40 degree weather.  I want to see tree buds open.  I want 60 degree weather.  I want sunshine and tweety tweety tweety of little birds.

I took a Core Toning class at the gym yesterday.  On my way home from work, the sun poked out and I was like "Ooo!  I could go home, change, and go for a quick run!"  Then I came back to my senses and realized I was too tired and really needed to take the time to cook a healthy dinner.

Today is Spin Class.

Tomorrow, I am hoping to get in some hill intervals on the TM.

This weekend, hubby and I are planning to join a meetup group for a hike.  But I hear the weather is supposed to be cr@p (insert very angry face here).  Maybe I will hit the gym for a bike ride instead... we'll see.

Edited by scraver 2011-04-21 9:15 AM

2011-04-21 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

My week has gone as hoped. Got my long runs in, 2 trainer rides and a swim.  If I have time I will either do a short recovery run or easy trainer ride.

We leave today for a short family vacation - 4 day raft trip on the Green River in UT.  Send warm, sunny thoughts my way! Kids are super excited and Easter will be really fun as the easter bunny will secretely hide eggs while we are camped on the river! I will try and get a couple of short runs in, there is supposedly a "trail" that follows the river as it is a famous fly fishing section of the river.

Edited by robingray_260 2011-04-21 9:31 AM
2011-04-21 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
It's a good week for training, after getting back into it after slacking off last weekend.  I am on call this weekend so that could leave plenty of time for training or the possibility of missing some training. Unfortunately if I do get to train it will be all inside though (4 hr trainer ride Sunday) because I have to have the phone right there.  Cry 
2011-04-21 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Running has been good.  10 miles on Saturday, 7 miles of hills last night.  Bike testing continues.  FTP was 306 in testing Tuesday, highest ever.  Tonight is VO21, short hard bursts.  I am not a sprinter.  I don't really care about these.  I do them because the coach wants it...he's a cycling coach. Swims have been good....stroke efficiency most, trying to lower stroke count and maintain or improve speed.  Working.

2011-04-21 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
2011-04-21 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3458571

User image

Regular
Maryland
IceManScott - 2011-04-21 10:01 AM

Running has been good.  10 miles on Saturday, 7 miles of hills last night.  Bike testing continues.  FTP was 306 in testing Tuesday, highest ever.  Tonight is VO21, short hard bursts.  I am not a sprinter.  I don't really care about these.  I do them because the coach wants it...he's a cycling coach. Swims have been good....stroke efficiency most, trying to lower stroke count and maintain or improve speed.  Working.

So, where do you do the bike testing?  what is FTP and VO21?

2011-04-21 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Hey team,

Rest day for me. Works into the plan, workwise.

We have a local 10 mile road race here in July, that has been run for almost 90 years. Many of do a "practise run" to gauge fitness every good Friday. It is the so called "teaser". I have done for 4 years now & will be doing again in the morning, if all goes well. We run on good Friday, as the traffic is light & most are at home. It is unofficial run & most leave the start at about 8-9 am. I expect about 400 to run, depending on the weather. So a rest day keeps my legs a little fresh.

Last year, I had a good winter running & actually ran the course out & back. I am nowhere that fitness this year. I am running tomorrow, to run with some of my group, and keep up tradition, but won't be setting any pb's that's for sure.

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-04-21 3:20 PM

2011-04-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: #3459474

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-04-21 4:16 PM Hey team,

We have a local 10 mile road race here in July, that has been run for almost 90 years. Many of do a "practise run" to gauge fitness every good Friday. It is the so called "teaser". I have done for 4 years now & will be doing again in the morning, if all goes well. We run on good Friday, as the traffic is light & most are at home. It is unofficial run & most leave the start at about 8-9 am. I expect about 400 to run, depending on the weather. So a rest day keeps my legs a little fresh.

Last year, I had a good winter running & actually ran the course out & back. I am nowhere that fitness this year. I am running tomorrow, to run with some of my group, and keep up tradition, but won't be setting any pb's that's for sure.

Have fun, I bet you do better than expected!

2011-04-21 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
GoGoGo - 2011-04-21 4:16 PMHey team,

Sometimes no pressure equals a nice performance. Have fun.
2011-04-21 5:22 PM

User image

Expert
GoGoGo - 2011-04-21 4:16 PM Hey team,

400 for an "unofficial" run? Sounds like a great day! I agree with Ken and think you will do better than you expect.

Looking forward to the weekend with a little run and hopefully swim Saturday AM, and 2-2.5 hours on the bike on Sunday. It may rain Sunday, but I will head out anyway. I am very fortunate to have beautiful roads for running and riding all around me, and also not much traffic. I do not have the discipline to stay on the trainer that long, and I am very impressed by all of you who do have that ability.

Anthony

2011-04-21 8:35 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
GoGoGo - 2011-04-21 3:16 PM Hey team,

You have some serious run fitness in the bank, I am sure you will do great!

My streak ended today. Took the kids to the pool with the plan to swim laps but it was WAY crowded. My daughter had swim team and there were even extra kids there and no lane for non swim team. Unfortunately, the pool is closed tomorrow so I'll have to make it up Saturday.

2011-04-22 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

Did my run this morning, with 300-400 others...was snowing!!  WTF  Nevertheless, must perservere...

The course is 10 miles thru town.  Got a ride with from friends from finish to start, so I thought.  Found out they were only running 12k, so I thought, roll with the punches...ran 4k to start then the 10 miles.

Turned into a 20k run, which was not really planned.  Have not run that distance since Xmas, because of knee issues.  Oh well, a good test of my fitness I thought...

The 4k extra, at the start was into the wind, the snow was hurting my eyes...hate that.  the 10 miles, was much better.

Anyway, Happy with my effort today, just ran, never looked at my Garmin pace, tried to run on the edge & pace well.  I am a bad "race pacer"  Ran the first 10 miles without stopping, which is unusual for me.  Then took a walk for a couple minutes & then completed it.

1:40 minutes, in  a non-race situation, I was very happy with.

Met a buddy at the finish as a few of us were chatting.  Had a beer in the trunk of his car...Had one..tasted wonderful ...CARBS!!Wink

Anyway, that's my exercise today.  Gonna trim the leg of lamb for dinner today...MMMTongue out

Hope everyone has a good day...

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-04-22 8:35 AM
2011-04-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3460361

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-04-22 9:31 AM

Did my run this morning, with 300-400 others...was snowing!!  WTF  Nevertheless, must perservere...

The course is 10 miles thru town.  Got a ride with from friends from finish to start, so I thought.  Found out they were only running 12k, so I thought, roll with the punches...ran 4k to start then the 10 miles.

Turned into a 20k run, which was not really planned.  Have not run that distance since Xmas, because of knee issues.  Oh well, a good test of my fitness I thought...

The 4k extra, at the start was into the wind, the snow was hurting my eyes...hate that.  the 10 miles, was much better.

Anyway, Happy with my effort today, just ran, never looked at my Garmin pace, tried to run on the edge & pace well.  I am a bad "race pacer"  Ran the first 10 miles without stopping, which is unusual for me.  Then took a walk for a couple minutes & then completed it.

Met a buddy at the finish as a few of us were chatting.  Had a beer in the trunk of his car...Had one..tasted wonderful ...CARBS!!Wink

Anyway, that's my exercise today.  Gonna trim the leg of lamb for dinner today...MMMTongue out

Nice run!  It is a little late for snow!

Hope you have a great day too!
2011-04-22 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3460361

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
GoGoGo - 2011-04-22 9:31 AM

Well that sounded like a good run and beer at the end of it what could be better - well I guess no snow would have been better. I'm so happy the snow is gone here.

Edited by acv 2011-04-22 11:15 AM
2011-04-22 1:43 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Quiet around here today!  Must be the holiday weekend!

Smile
2011-04-22 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3461178

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

kenj - 2011-04-22 1:43 PM Quiet around here today!  Must be the holiday weekend!

Smile

Here on a rest day and at work.  All good

2011-04-22 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3461178

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2011-04-22 2:43 PMQuiet around here today!  Must be the holiday weekend!

Smile
Quiet before the storm.

Edited by acv 2011-04-22 2:23 PM
2011-04-22 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Hope everyone is doing well. Question for our members regarding nutrition..I'm currently holding at 185...Would like to drop 15 o 20 pounds..My diet is very clean but I'm lost on what else to do to get this fat off. Current BF % around 16 percent..

Happy Easter to all..

2011-04-22 7:12 PM

User image

Hi Everyone,

I asked to join and then fell off the world so I thought I'd give my bio and read the past post to catch up to speed.

Name: Geoff

Story: I am 30 years old and ex Navy.  I used to run 1.5 miles twice a year and I couldn't walk for days after.  That was the probably the most exercise I had gotten up to 2 years ago.  I quit smoking 3 years ago and decided, after a year, that I needed to do something besides not smoke, since I was still out of breath after a couple stairs and about 50 lbs overweight.  I started a couch to 5K plan that I found on BT and the first few times running I thought I would never be a runner.  I got the plan going and decided I'd mix it up with the bike and then, apprehensively, added the swim.  Triathlon was the next logical conclusion, but I focused only on the bike and run because I never really knew how to swim (it was a glorified dog paddle that I called swimming).  The tri I had scheduled at the end of last season didn't work out because I wasn't comfortable doing the swim.  Over this winter I've been working on the swim and I'm happy to say that I'm ready for it this year.  I ran my first ever 5K in February and ran my first 1/2 Marathon on April 16 and finished with a 2:20:47.  I finished so I was happy and my goal was 2:20 (Had a long line at a porta potty).  I have my 1st sprint coming up in June and an olympic scheduled in August.  I have a duathlon scheduled next weekend, which I think will be really good practice getting me used to transitions and biking with other people.  It's really good to start completing some races after working for a couple years, and I can't wait for it to warm up!

I have 2 children and am a full time student.  My wife had heart surgery a month ago to fix a congenital problem that was never diagnosed so the past few months have been really out of wack.  Juggling work, school, kids, and making sure my wife doesn't over do it has been keeping me busy (balancing life is always a struggle), but everything goes so much smoother when I stick to my training workouts :-).  

I am 178 lbs right now and want to loose another 20 lbs over the next year. 

Looking forward to a great mentor group and meeting everyone.

Edited by geoffgm 2011-04-22 7:13 PM
2011-04-23 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3461666

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
geoffgm - 2011-04-22 8:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

I asked to join and then fell off the world so I thought I'd give my bio and read the past post to catch up to speed.

Name: Geoff

Story: I am 30 years old and ex Navy.  I used to run 1.5 miles twice a year and I couldn't walk for days after.  That was the probably the most exercise I had gotten up to 2 years ago.  I quit smoking 3 years ago and decided, after a year, that I needed to do something besides not smoke, since I was still out of breath after a couple stairs and about 50 lbs overweight.  I started a couch to 5K plan that I found on BT and the first few times running I thought I would never be a runner.  I got the plan going and decided I'd mix it up with the bike and then, apprehensively, added the swim.  Triathlon was the next logical conclusion, but I focused only on the bike and run because I never really knew how to swim (it was a glorified dog paddle that I called swimming).  The tri I had scheduled at the end of last season didn't work out because I wasn't comfortable doing the swim.  Over this winter I've been working on the swim and I'm happy to say that I'm ready for it this year.  I ran my first ever 5K in February and ran my first 1/2 Marathon on April 16 and finished with a 2:20:47.  I finished so I was happy and my goal was 2:20 (Had a long line at a porta potty).  I have my 1st sprint coming up in June and an olympic scheduled in August.  I have a duathlon scheduled next weekend, which I think will be really good practice getting me used to transitions and biking with other people.  It's really good to start completing some races after working for a couple years, and I can't wait for it to warm up!

I have 2 children and am a full time student.  My wife had heart surgery a month ago to fix a congenital problem that was never diagnosed so the past few months have been really out of wack.  Juggling work, school, kids, and making sure my wife doesn't over do it has been keeping me busy (balancing life is always a struggle), but everything goes so much smoother when I stick to my training workouts :-).  

I am 178 lbs right now and want to loose another 20 lbs over the next year. 

Looking forward to a great mentor group and meeting everyone.

Welcome to the group Geoff!

You have made a lot of progress over the last year!  Great job!
2011-04-23 6:18 AM
in reply to: #3461515

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-04-22 5:48 PM

Hope everyone is doing well. Question for our members regarding nutrition..I'm currently holding at 185...Would like to drop 15 o 20 pounds..My diet is very clean but I'm lost on what else to do to get this fat off. Current BF % around 16 percent..

Happy Easter to all..

Have you been logging your food/beverage intake?  Very clean could also mean not enough.  Liquid calories also have a way of sneaking in there and I am not just talking about adult beverages.  Sports drinks and juices have a lot of sugar calories that don't always get included. 

You have done great so far! 

2011-04-23 11:22 AM
in reply to: #3461976

User image

Pro
Houston
kenj - 2011-04-23 6:18 AM

Happy Easter to all..

Have you been logging your food/beverage intake?  Very clean could also mean not enough.  Liquid calories also have a way of sneaking in there and I am not just talking about adult beverages.  Sports drinks and juices have a lot of sugar calories that don't always get included. 

All of this! Clean means different things to different people. For some it is low calorie/low fat. For others it is only whole foods. If we have an idea of what you are eating we might be able to give some helpful advice.

So I had my first speed work today, well we all know speed is relative. I told my coach long ago not to tell me when I am doing speed work because it makes me anxious but this one was pretty obvious. I think I did pretty good considering it was the first time I've done something like this and it was in the high 80s.

I didn't get on my bike yesterday, Bad Keri! Hoping to get a little ride in tomorrow maybe after I put all the food in the oven before company comes.

2011-04-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: #3461976

User image

Veteran
Georgia

kenj - 2011-04-23 7:18 AM

Happy Easter to all..

I log my food intake through Livestrong..For the most part all liquid intake is water I don't drink soda and have a sport drink here and there... My intake yesterday was

Cals
Fat
61 g
Cholesterol
35 mg
Sodium
3167 mg
Carbs
361 g
Fiber
48 g
Protein
152 g
Sugars
89 g

Consisted of the following
Greek Yogurt,Granny Smith Apple,Baby carrots,Spicy Pepper Hummus,Plain granola,Cliff Bar,Whole Grain Brown Rice, Tofu,Chick Peas, Mushrooms,Onions, Vega Sport Protein Shake,Chick-fil-a Chicken Biscuit and hashbrown(This is not an everyday choice)

If you want more details I will be glad to give. I recently increased my calorie intake a day thinking that I wasn't getting enough with the training. But I have not lost any weight after doing this. I guess I haven't found the magic balance.. Hope this helps..

Ran to my son's soccer game today for my workout.... 11 miles in 1:42/ 9:18 min/mile average

2011-04-24 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

Happy Easter Morning.  Just got back from my run, did a 10.6k, as I did my long run Friday.

Got outside & biked yesterday, for the 1st time in 2011.  Had a blast, forgot what it was like.  Took the hybrid, hopefully get out on my roadie this week.

Have a good day, everyone...

2011-04-24 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3463027

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-04-24 8:56 AM

Happy Easter Morning.  Just got back from my run, did a 10.6k, as I did my long run Friday.

Got outside & biked yesterday, for the 1st time in 2011.  Had a blast, forgot what it was like.  Took the hybrid, hopefully get out on my roadie this week.

Have a good day, everyone...

Happy Easter to you and everyone else!

Nice work this morning!

Easy hour on the trainer for me, plus some strength training.  Tomorrow starts the 12 week custom HIM plan.  I was happy with how the plan came out.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72