BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-05-18 3:56 AM
in reply to: #3505146

Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED

_Deb_ - 2011-05-15 8:54 PM

About my bike ride today:  I did 18 miles during rush hour traffic.  The car traffic was heavy, but the bike traffic was also heavy.  I nearly got run over by a 20 rider peloton of much faster and more experienced riders.  There is nothing more discouraging than nearly being run over by a bunch of other riders.  I need some help!  I need some speed!   

What I found helpful to increase speed was continuously counting to 10, at the top of my right legs pedal stroke.  I know a cadence (spin rate) monitor could be used, but I didnt have one and it also kept me focussed, you get to a slight hill and its the only real way of knowing your slowing down even slightly, by noticing your pedal rate slowing.  As soon as you notice this then change gear to keep the rate the same, you may need to change gears more often.  If your coming to a big hill then judge the gears required for max speed up the hill.

If you tagged onto the back of the group, you will notice they are consistently pedalling at the same rate, using the gears to keep the rate consistent.  This will mean you can gauge the level of effort at any one time, balancing effort to pace, this will maximise your speed over a distance.

A gear or two lower at a higher cadence should work out faster with less effort than pushing hard in a higher gear both current mph and definetly average speed.

People say that you need to spin at xx times a minute.  I dont think this is the case to get started, I believe you work out your own rate to get speed/effort around your fitness.

Depends on your fitness, but you could try to build up too 20 miles a few times, then try to do it as fat as you can, then a couple of days later do it again trying to beat your time and following the above.  See the results, both in travel time but also recovery time!!

2011-05-18 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY

I did a really cool speed workout a while back.  Basically, it is an assisted Treadmill run at very high speed and very high ramp tilt for a short duration:

http://www.athleticrepublic.com/websiteImgs/super_treadmill_article_82410.pdf

2011-05-18 10:10 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Ryan: K, really be careful about the speedwork. I was reading Daniel's yesterday about vo2max workouts and he says you should not do more than 30 min of v02max a week and only 8 percent of your total volume should be run at vo2max. So if you are doing a 6 X 800s you should make sure you are running 6k a week. vo2max is hard because it stresses your muscles and skeletal system which generally don't really let you know when they are breaking down until it is too late, this causes injuries that are difficult to recover from like muscle tears and shin splints and stress fractures, McMillian had an interesting article in Running Times about this this month actually.

So have I said it enough, really be careful.

regarding Beer, dude, the rule is simple in my house, no yoga = no beer. And I tell you probably 95 percent of the time all I want to do is just go to sleep or veg on the couch, but once I get started it feels so great.

How to get speed on the bike? I am not really sure, I will look into it.

2011-05-18 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
So is anyone into reading any endurance books.

I have three that I highly suggest:

The Lore of Running
Daniels Running Formula
Advanced Marathoning

I own all three and am always going to them to better understand why I am doing certain workouts.
2011-05-18 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

books huh?

Your First Triathlon - Recommended

Running start to Finish

Runners rule book

Ironman 70.3

Its not about the bike - good inspirational one

Be Iron Fit

17 Hours to Glory - READ THIS BOOK!!!!!!

Chi Running

The Complete Triathelets Training Manual

Iron Planner

Triathletes training Bible - too advanced for me at this point

Still on the bookshelf to be read

Marathon Running

Every Second Counts

Swim Bike Run

I go to used books stores and clean them out of any of the stuff I am interested in.

2011-05-18 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3505146

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
rdietz - 2011-05-17 9:19 PM

About my bike ride today:  I did 18 miles during rush hour traffic.  The car traffic was heavy, but the bike traffic was also heavy.  I nearly got run over by a 20 rider peloton of much faster and more experienced riders.  There is nothing more discouraging than nearly being run over by a bunch of other riders.  I need some help!  I need some speed!   

Find out about that group and start riding with them. You will drop out of the pack for a while but you will eventually be able to keep pace with them.

You can also try riding longer and finding some nice nasty hills to build strength

2011-05-19 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3506639

User image

Veteran

BigDH - 2011-05-18 4:30 PM So is anyone into reading any endurance books. I have three that I highly suggest: The Lore of Running Daniels Running Formula Advanced Marathoning I own all three and am always going to them to better understand why I am doing certain workouts.

I've been reading some from the library - Dean Karnazes books are great fun and motivational.

I just started one called "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall.  First few chapters about why running is tough on big guys is a great affirmation to do Tri's.

2011-05-19 11:20 AM

User image

Regular

So, I made arrangements to have someone watch my kids this afternoon.  I was going to go for a sunny daytime ride on my road bike.  Not so much.  It's raining and kind of miserable out there.  Somebody tell me to suck it up and use the trainer during that time.  No bagging the workout because I'm mad at the weather.

As for books, I just read a woman's running book, by Kara Goucher.  It was good.  Thanks for the lists though.  I get my books from the library, so I'm going to check and see if my library system has some of those.

Overall, I'm doing really well this week.  I know I mentioned it already, but I changed my asthma meds last week, and it is amazing the difference it's made.  I'm naturally falling into a much faster rhythm.  I ran with a friend on Tuesday who usually wears me out and this time, she was having trouble keeping up with me.

2011-05-19 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3507640

User image

Champion
Calgary
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-19 7:07 AM

BigDH - 2011-05-18 4:30 PM So is anyone into reading any endurance books. I have three that I highly suggest: The Lore of Running Daniels Running Formula Advanced Marathoning I own all three and am always going to them to better understand why I am doing certain workouts.

I've been reading some from the library - Dean Karnazes books are great fun and motivational.

I just started one called "Born To Run" by Christopher McDougall.  First few chapters about why running is tough on big guys is a great affirmation to do Tri's.

I have found Dean's book's to be okay, not very well written but kinda entertaining.

Loved Born to Run. But then I am a runner so what do you expect.

Other greats

Once a Runner
Again to Carthridge (the sequel) both fiction but excellently entertaining. Very motivating.

Running for My life by Ray Zahab,

I did read it is not about the bike, blah, I also have read too many books about doping in cycling so that may effect my enjoyment of that one.

2011-05-19 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3508178

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
_Deb_ - 2011-05-19 11:20 AM

It's raining and kind of miserable out there.  Somebody tell me to suck it up and use the trainer during that time.  No bagging the workout because I'm mad at the weather.

Suck it up an ride the trainer???? No, I wont say that. What I would say is get OUT there and ride.... What if it rains during a race? are you going to ride the trainer then?

Seriously, dont go to a really heavily trafficed area, wear something bright and get out there!

2011-05-19 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
mapped out a nice ride for today. 108km, got lost a couple of times, so logged a total of 130km. Toyed with the idea of just tacking on an extra 31km to go for the century but I was out of nutrition and already feeling a little out of it.

2011-05-19 5:17 PM
in reply to: #3508808

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-05-19 3:43 PM

_Deb_ - 2011-05-19 11:20 AM

It's raining and kind of miserable out there.  Somebody tell me to suck it up and use the trainer during that time.  No bagging the workout because I'm mad at the weather.

Suck it up an ride the trainer???? No, I wont say that. What I would say is get OUT there and ride.... What if it rains during a race? are you going to ride the trainer then?

Seriously, dont go to a really heavily trafficed area, wear something bright and get out there!

You know this is true and the reason that I always take the opportunity to run in horrible weather, and bike if I can and feel safe. Sometimes when there is a horrible downpour and I needed to get a bike in I would just take out the mountain bike and hit the trails just so I don't have to deal with cars AND the weather.

Hope you got the ride in Deb. It always feels better done than not.
2011-05-19 6:14 PM

User image

Regular

Hmm, I think this week has been a lesson in weather for me and I've failed miserably.  To cut to the chase, I decided to delay the bike ride to tomorrow.

I am honestly a bit nervous about riding in crazy weather.  It isn't just that I'm avoiding the rain..  I have run in pretty much any weather aside from hail, so I can take it, but I have this crazy feeling that wet roads are suddenly going to make my bike slide all over the place or something.

I probably should have gotten out there because it would have helped me get past that.  So, talk to me about this: how does it effect traction?  I know about the painted lines being slippery, but anything else to watch out for?

Darren, I like your idea about riding the trails.  I do have my hybrid bike, so I can always keep that in mind.

This weekend looks like there may be more rain, so perhaps I will get put to the test again...

2011-05-19 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Deb:

I totally agree - too many careless distracted drivers to risk riding when it's really pouring and windy. I tend to ride my old mountain bike in the rain - I still don't trust the tiny tires on my commuter.

Is spinning an option for you?  I have found that the spin class teachers at my Y are all really Triathletes.  We even have a "spin studio" - not a gym - a whole business that only does spinning - and it's only like $5 or $10 per session (I have yet to try that).

Rested my achilles for a few days and iced (while watching tv and son's soccer) and got to run my race today! No pain! 30 seconds faster than last year, YEAH!  It's a weird race (3.5 miles) way too many (9,000ish) runners and no wave start.

Speaking of TV - I wanted to get back to the idea of doing crunches (or anything else) while watching TV.  IMHO I think ideally we should "be in the  moment" to maximize the benefit.  I don't generally listen to music on runs lately, so I stay focused on the getting most out of the run.  Same deal with Abs work - I try to focus on it. Just my .02

Edited by benjaminjacobso 2011-05-19 8:38 PM
2011-05-20 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3508900

I am honestly a bit nervous about riding in crazy weather.  It isn't just that I'm avoiding the rain..  I have run in pretty much any weather aside from hail, so I can take it, but I have this crazy feeling that wet roads are suddenly going to make my bike slide all over the place or something.

I probably should have gotten out there because it would have helped me get past that.  So, talk to me about this: how does it effect traction?  I know about the painted lines being slippery, but anything else to watch out for?

Hello,

I have ridden my hybrid in all conditions, although the tyres are slightly bigger it has no tread pattern.  However I also have owned a few motorbikes aswell, having done trackdays with minimum tread, but also road riding too.

I bet you would really be surprised at how much grip you have in the wet.  Manhole covers, lines, wet leaves etc then virtually none!!  In the wet though you look further ahead and ride really smoothly, if you pull the brakes on progressively then once the initial braking is done you can brake almost as hard as in the dry!!  In the dry you shouldnt grab a handful of brakes, but its even more important in the wet.  When you start braking the weight needs to transfer to the fron tyre before braking really hard, which sqaushes the tyre a bit giving more contact patch.  Oherwise you can skid.  The principles are the same on a push bike and motorbike.  Just be smooth!!

Cornering lean your body more into a corner in the wet, this will leave the bike more upright.  You can turn quite tightly with the bike upright still.  But same as everything build up into it!!

Practice makes perfect.  Word of warning though there is only one way to learn the limits exactly!! 

However, my theory is  - short of really high speeds then the rider will normally be at fault for causing the lack of grip..........  Not seeing and avoiding the manhole cover, jamming the brakes on, or being surprised / tense by the sudden bend.

Cheers,

Mark

2011-05-20 10:43 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Glad this week is over. Et transferred the daughter to the big girl bed.so back to 2 hours for a bedtime routine. Made for little sleep. Glad it is a taper week for running.

First for me yesterday, riding in the hail. Just little stuff but still quite the thill. Luckily it was uphill into it instead of downhill into it.

Regarding tv and music. Good points. To each their own on this. I generally don't have the discipline to run without music or even a watch. Sometimes I will do yoga in a quite room, but mostly it is in front of the tv, which is a bit bizarre. I have come to terms with this.

2011-05-20 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3509905

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Looks like I'll get my opportunity to practice riding in the rain tomorrow.  Have a 25 mile ride planned and the forcast shows rain and T-Storms.  I'm going to try to get it out of the way early, then work, then B-Day party for our 2 year old little girl.  8 mile run planned for Sunday. 

I'll have to check out some of the suggested reading material.  I've read "Born to Run".  I really enjoyed it.  My running training bible is "Run Less, Run Faster".  Emphasizes running only 3 quality runs per week (one speed, one tempo and one long).  It works great for me.  I have a few others sitting up on the bookshelf that I haven't gotten to yet. 

Have a nice weekend everyone!

2011-05-20 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3510027

User image

Veteran
rdietz - 2011-05-20 12:48 PM

Looks like I'll get my opportunity to practice riding in the rain tomorrow.  Have a 25 mile ride planned and the forcast shows rain and T-Storms.  I'm going to try to get it out of the way early, then work, then B-Day party for our 2 year old little girl.  8 mile run planned for Sunday. 

I'll have to check out some of the suggested reading material.  I've read "Born to Run".  I really enjoyed it.  My running training bible is "Run Less, Run Faster".  Emphasizes running only 3 quality runs per week (one speed, one tempo and one long).  It works great for me.  I have a few others sitting up on the bookshelf that I haven't gotten to yet. 

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Hope you enjoy your weekend too! 

For my part - my plans are a bit tentative.  I took another rest day - the leg that had the painful achilles is really tight - both calf and quad.  I tried some gentle stretching - and did some garage stuff, and a short 2 mile bike ride in the rain.

2011-05-20 9:22 PM
in reply to: #3509905

User image

Regular

So, I got Chariots of Fire out from the library today.  I know we're talking about books, but I've never seen it and want to.  May watch it tonight if we get a chance.

As for music, I don't listen to it much when I run.  I did when I started, and I still do on occasion, but I really enjoy just running.  My ipod was broken for a little while, so I fell out of the habit of using it for every run.  Once I realized I was okay running without it, I decided not to use it all the time, since I can't in triathlons.  If I am working out inside though, I NEED to have the tv on while doing it.

2011-05-21 7:23 PM

User image

Veteran

Yeah!

Drove the 30 miles to my next (and first "real") tri course, Hudson Crossing Sprint.  Scoped out the swim, biked the bike and ran the run.  I was tentative right up until I got there.  In fact, my right hamstring was in spasm in the car as I drove up. Just took it easy and left the hear rate strap off so I wouldn't worry about taking it easy.

The run is 70% trails, so I wanted to check it out.  My Mizuno road shoes are pretty poor on trails because they have this huge cavity in the sole.  I have decided to use my trail shoes - so I really need to run some trails for the next few weeks to get them broken in.

Hopeful that whatever I've done to my right leg from achilles to quad didn't suffer from the fun I had this evening.

Even had a little rain and a rainbow.

2011-05-22 8:34 AM

User image

Regular
Royal Oak
Hi everyone.  Back from an excellent European vacation.  I didn't really do much in the way of getting workouts in but I think it's safe to say we averaged at least 5-6 miles of walking each day if not more.  The weather was fantastic and it was a great break from the daily grind.  However, it's time for me to get back into training mode.  Today I think I'll try to get in about 3 miles running and go for a quick swim after that.

2011-05-22 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3511702

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-21 7:23 PM

Yeah!

The run is 70% trails, so I wanted to check it out.  My Mizuno road shoes are pretty poor on trails because they have this huge cavity in the sole.  I have decided to use my trail shoes - so I really need to run some trails for the next few weeks to get them broken in.

Hopeful that whatever I've done to my right leg from achilles to quad didn't suffer from the fun I had this evening.

I have found that I really like running trails. Its certainly more interesting, I find it softer on the joints and I have read that it is good for developing stability muscles.

2011-05-22 10:41 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
okay, yes, I am alive.

Have had a killer last 5 days. Wed & Thurs, rode and biked about 3.5 hours each day. Took Friday off of work, but spent the better part of 6 hours working on a retaining wall. Managed a little jog. Saturday, more retaining wall, about 5 hours, planted some trees and shrubs. An Hour run. Got up Sunday at 6 to get my 21k in. Then spent the rest of today, 9 hours or so, putting together Ikea furniture. Ouchy.

What did I learn from all this, well, I learned that no matter how crappy I feel I WILL get my workout in if at all possible. I have been beat by other life events in the past and have blown the workout off justifying that, "well I am sore from (moving, gardening, hiking, building furniture) I must have got a bit of a calorie burn in, no need to do the workout." I seriously did not want to get up this morning, I was so stiff, my arms burned with pain (because except for pushups I do few upper body excercises), my legs were so sore from digging and crouching, but I did it.

Anyways, so got my workouts in last week. The week coming up is serious taper time, run 5 days about 8k easy each day and marathon on the Sunday.
2011-05-22 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3512116

User image

Champion
Calgary
DaveL - 2011-05-22 8:34 AM

benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-21 7:23 PM

Yeah!

I have found that I really like running trails. Its certainly more interesting, I find it softer on the joints and I have read that it is good for developing stability muscles.

Dave or Ben, do either of you have any trail shoes. I find that my normal trainers don't work as well as trail shoes, on the trail.
2011-05-22 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3512086

User image

Champion
Calgary
nick_318is - 2011-05-22 7:34 AM

Hi everyone.  Back from an excellent European vacation.  I didn't really do much in the way of getting workouts in but I think it's safe to say we averaged at least 5-6 miles of walking each day if not more.  The weather was fantastic and it was a great break from the daily grind.  However, it's time for me to get back into training mode.  Today I think I'll try to get in about 3 miles running and go for a quick swim after that.

Dude, welcome back. Get to it!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21