of 84

2011-05-12 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3496240

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Swim Sighting advice
sirgab - 2011-05-12 4:40 PM

JulDee - 2011-05-11 6:01 AM Anyone have any tips/tricks on sighting?  I did my first couple OW swims, each time is slightly better.  I have a hard time figuring out where I am by looking to the sides (shoreline) I have to pick up my head an look for the buoy.  My legs drop and I struggle to get back in alignment.  Feels like I waste a lot of energy. 

The coach where I swim has been encouraging us to practice breathing every third stroke, that way you are alternating your sighting to each side without any extra major effort.  Even though I practiced it a number of times, I ended up not doing it for my Oly tri this past weekend since I felt more comfortable just breathing on my strong side and then just following the mob in front of me.  

Gabo,

While racing you should breath every time your left enters the waters (or right if you're a southpaw). That way you keep your body completely aerobic for the entire swim. This in someway taxes your speed a bit (about two secs per 100y) BUT it will set you up for a better bike and run.

Remember that billateral breathing is a swimmer's thing and it's good, but not necessary for us triathletes. This was told to me by Chris MacCurdy (triathlete and former Olympic swimmer) that happens to be my swimming coach.

2011-05-12 4:50 PM
in reply to: #3494900

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group - CLOSED
jenputnam - 2011-05-11 11:03 PM

Just wanted to share my joy.  I completed my 1 Mile Challenge tonight and ran 6:56!!!  47seconds faster than 6 weeks ago!  I am still so new so I will enjoy these PR's as they are coming!!!

Jen

Congratulations Jen, great time and very well done and like you said, it's nice to see the quick progress one is capable off at this early stages.  

2011-05-12 5:04 PM
in reply to: #3496261

User image

Expert
Guatemala
evillarroel - 2011-05-12 3:50 PM

JulDee - 2011-05-11 6:01 AM Anyone have any tips/tricks on sighting?  I did my first couple OW swims, each time is slightly better.  I have a hard time figuring out where I am by looking to the sides (shoreline) I have to pick up my head an look for the buoy.  My legs drop and I struggle to get back in alignment.  Feels like I waste a lot of energy. 

The coach where I swim has been encouraging us to practice breathing every third stroke, that way you are alternating your sighting to each side without any extra major effort.  Even though I practiced it a number of times, I ended up not doing it for my Oly tri this past weekend since I felt more comfortable just breathing on my strong side and then just following the mob in front of me.  

Gabo,

While racing you should breath every time your left enters the waters (or right if you're a southpaw). That way you keep your body completely aerobic for the entire swim. This in someway taxes your speed a bit (about two secs per 100y) BUT it will set you up for a better bike and run.

Remember that billateral breathing is a swimmer's thing and it's good, but not necessary for us triathletes. This was told to me by Chris MacCurdy (triathlete and former Olympic swimmer) that happens to be my swimming coach.

Thanks Ernesto, this makes sense and great swimming coach you have there!

Separately, a question on running and bike cadence - I started using yesterday for the first time my Garmin footpod to measure running cadence and came out with an avg cadence of 82 spm. What should be a good cadence level to shoot for on the run?    

On my bike I have been following cadence a little longer and try to shoot for a 90-100 rpm based on some articles I've read, any thoughts on this level?

Finally, how is your week going overall?  You've mentioned it was a hard week at work, so is it getting any better and have you been able to relax in your remaining trainings?

Gracias y saludos!

Gabriel

2011-05-12 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3496106

User image

Expert
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
jenputnam - 2011-05-12 3:22 PM

Chris, 

How is the Paleo diet for you.  I struggle so much with nutrition(ask anyone who reads my link on my BT log).  The foods I eat and organic and homemade for the most part except when I'm pushed for time but I know I can't loose by body fay percentage  until my food intake is correct.  I've been reading about the Paleo diet for some time and was wanting to get some personal insight.  

By they way.....GOOD LUCK!!!!

Jen,

I'm curious.  What kind of body fat percentage are you shooting for?  And how are you measuring it?

I have a scale that supposedly measures body fat, but it seems to jump all over the place.  Maffetone recommends just measuring your waist.

2011-05-12 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3436601

User image

Expert
Subject: Watching an Ironman

So, for those of you that have been there:

How exactly does one watch an Ironman and see the person you came to watch?  I understand showing up at the start and the finish.  It's the in-between that I'm sort of wondering about.

2011-05-12 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3496286

User image

Master
Dallas
sirgab - 2011-05-12 5:04 PM
evillarroel - 2011-05-12 3:50 PM

Gabo,

Thanks Ernesto, this makes sense and great swimming coach you have there!

Separately, a question on running and bike cadence - I started using yesterday for the first time my Garmin footpod to measure running cadence and came out with an avg cadence of 82 spm. What should be a good cadence level to shoot for on the run?    

On my bike I have been following cadence a little longer and try to shoot for a 90-100 rpm based on some articles I've read, any thoughts on this level?

Finally, how is your week going overall?  You've mentioned it was a hard week at work, so is it getting any better and have you been able to relax in your remaining trainings?

Gracias y saludos!

Gabriel

Thanks for asking, my week is going great. Even though work is hectic, I've had a good workweek and it promises to be the same (fingers crossed) until I take off next Wednesday. About the legs turnover, you should pursue the same cadence for both bike and run. This makes the brick a LOT better. If you teach your brain to fire at 90+ while running picking up speed is only a matter of lengthening the stride. The other benefit is that more frequency decreases the pounding on your legs making injuries very unlikely. One tool that I found incredibly useful is a musician's metronome. They go for six bucks on eBay (clip on) and you can set it to whatever you want. That way you can bring the cadence up little by little. The footpod is great but it only records, the metronome beeps.

2011-05-12 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3496327

User image

Master
Dallas
Subject: RE: Watching an Ironman
jdiis - 2011-05-12 5:41 PM

So, for those of you that have been there:

How exactly does one watch an Ironman and see the person you came to watch?  I understand showing up at the start and the finish.  It's the in-between that I'm sort of wondering about.

Show up to the swim start and have a surprise, here's a link to my first Ironman swim:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Edh4GlZRHg&sns=em

Edited by evillarroel 2011-05-12 6:19 PM
2011-05-12 11:33 PM
in reply to: #3494612

User image

Houston, Texas
evillarroel - 2011-05-11 7:46 PM
baurryman - 2011-05-11 7:22 PM

Mike,

Not being a mentor and being new at this myself, I'll avoid giving specific advice. I'll tell you what I did that I think works for me so far. The similarity I see between us is that we both were already running so there is some comfort level with that. I went to the training plans section of the site and chose the 12 week beginning sprint plan. You are a bronze member so you can alter and move parts of the suggested plan around at will. I was already doing more running than the plan called for. I backed into a plan using the date of my first race. (June 26)

I follow the prescribed workouts day to day as a general guide of the type of workout to do. Sometimes Ernesto will give advice such as long bike on Saturday and long run on Sunday so I will substitute those for whatever the plan calls for. I'm not a strong swimmer yet so some of the swimming workouts in the plan, i could not possibly do in less than 2 hours so I do what I can with the time I have. If you look at my logs you will see sometimes I follow the plan exactly and at other times I don't.

I guess, more simply, what I'm trying to say is I'm not sure there is a right way for a newbie to do this. There's a lot to learn. Have fun with the journey and try to get all of the disciplines each week. Sorry if this comes across as a rambling reply.

Barry puts it together perfectly. In the beginning of your triathlon training you should be looking for consistency in the completion of the workouts planned. First you need a plan though. You could start by creating a template week or use a "canned" workouts plans that BT has and are pretty good.

Don't push for hard paces Mike, this is your own body so you need to find paces that will take you to the end of the workout without taxing you to the point that you will not be able to do the next one because you're exhausted and/or sore.

New trainings will bring new muscle pains (remember shin splints when you started running?). Try to rest your muscles. You have to as be dilligent about recovery as you should be about completing your sessions.

Speed training is GOOD, it is what teaches the body new paces and creates the neuro-muscular connections for that to happen. However this type of training has to be done sparingly when you start training for tri's. Much more important, you need to create an aerobic base, this is done by gradually increasing the LENGHT of your workouts, but not the intensity. Actually, you should be going slower than your usual pace. The challenge has to be in the duration of the workout.

Thanks, guys.  All the training plans on BT seem to be geared toward getting minutes in, and not specifically what to do in those training minutes (unless I'm just not finding the right ones).  I'm pretty comfortable that I'm getting the time in, I was just hoping to refine what I'm doing during that time.

I don't really know what speed training is, but it sounds like you're saying not to worry about that at this point and just keep on keeping on.  I don't really know if I've created an aerobic base or not.  What length of workout should I be shooting for?  As I said, I'm doing 4 miles a run.  (OK, not lately, but I've been traveling).  You don't mention learning about heart rates or intervals, so I take it those are unimportant at this point, too.  I think I'm starting to get the picture: keep it simple and pound some pavement!

Chris and Jen, you guys sure are putting up some blistering paces!  Did you have a pretty good run to begin with when you started training for triathlons?  How long did it take to get where you are now?  Did you focus your running with different techniques or just slog through the miles until you eventually got better?  Also, Jen, what made you decide to do the 1 mile time thing?  (You may have mentioned, I'll have to go back and look at the posts.)

Thanks,

Mike

2011-05-12 11:48 PM
in reply to: #3492914

User image

Houston, Texas

JulDee - 2011-05-11 7:01 AM Anyone have any tips/tricks on sighting?  I did my first couple OW swims, each time is slightly better.  I have a hard time figuring out where I am by looking to the sides (shoreline) I have to pick up my head an look for the buoy.  My legs drop and I struggle to get back in alignment.  Feels like I waste a lot of energy. 

I know what you mean about the sighting.  They canceled the swim on my first sprint last year, so in my second one, it was my first OWS.  I tried to sight by swimming 10 strokes breathing on one side, then sight, then 10 on the other side, and repeat.  It was a disaster.  Buoys and pack were on my right, so when breathing on my left, I saw neither.  After 10 (or so) strokes I looked up and I was face to face with a kayak with a guy waving me back to the course.  In that short of a time, I'd gone 90 degrees.  I blew a lot of energy trying to catch back up.

Now I sight every 3rd or 4th stroke, and form be hanged.  I practice in the pool just to be sure.  I still zig-zag too much in the water, but I haven't met any kayaks since!    I figure as I get better about swimming straight and/or staying with the pack, I can sight less.

Mike

2011-05-13 4:18 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Ernesto, I can not comprehend how you can have a hectic job and at the same time train for the Ironman. Actually, not just train, but do whatever needs to be done to be up there with the best! My hat is off to you and I will follow you there as well. Hope you have a good few relaxing days before the big day... and a great race of course!!!
2011-05-13 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3496772

User image

Master
Dallas

markz - 2011-05-13 4:18 AM Ernesto, I can not comprehend how you can have a hectic job and at the same time train for the Ironman. Actually, not just train, but do whatever needs to be done to be up there with the best! My hat is off to you and I will follow you there as well. Hope you have a good few relaxing days before the big day... and a great race of course!!!
Easy, just make every workout count and RECOVER. We'll talk some more about that Mark...

Thanks for the good wishes. This past swim (last night) I felt stronger than ever, like I could have gone MUCH faster, but I held back. I know I'm rested too, my heart rate at rest is 48!

2011-05-13 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3496319

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: ---

I use a scale as well, and like you said it does jump all over the place.  I know what I'm shooting for is way low, but I want to do longer endurance races so I's like the percentage to be below 19%.  Since I've started my training in Feb, I have lost a few inches and dropped 8lbs (I cook as much as I can from scratch).  I have the book but haven't gotten to that section yet.  I am also anxiously awaiting my new garmin w/ a HR monitor, so I can train in the right zones and burn fat not carbs.  My Tri is tomorrow and I'm doing a 5k on Sunday (That's gonna hurt!)
2011-05-13 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Just want to wish everyone with events this weekend GOOD LUCK!  We are all cheering for you!
2011-05-13 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
Mexico
Ernesto, I have been doing the speed work You told me, I felt great, at the begining I just did 250, so I gradually increased the distance now I can with 350.

and it was also fun, Thank's

2011-05-13 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3496710

User image

Maple Grove, MN
mikjamlec - 2011-05-12 11:33 PM 

Chris and Jen, you guys sure are putting up some blistering paces!  Did you have a pretty good run to begin with when you started training for triathlons?  How long did it take to get where you are now?  Did you focus your running with different techniques or just slog through the miles until you eventually got better? 

Mike

Mike, 

I really started running only since spring of last year.  For me, the most important thing to getting faster was having a younger, faster running partner (although I will never tell him that) who pushed me to run faster on our relatively short lunchtime runs (about 4 miles).  

If you look at a "standard" runner's training plan, there are four kinds of runs. 

1) Tempo run (usually 1 day per week).  Relatively short distance where you really try to run fast.  This is what I usually did with my friend, and each week we would try to go faster than the last one.

2) Speed work (usually 1 day per week).  Intervals.  I believe these helped me enormously.  My usual is pick a pace that is a real struggle to do a mile in, run 1 mile at that pace, walk for 2 minutes, repeat, say, for a total of four miles.  Ernesto is pushing me to shorten the distances and increase the speeds and number of repeats.  (I'm now doing half mile intervals).  But the key (at least for me) is to push yourself to do it this week faster than last.  

3) Long Runs.  These are supposed to be slow.  So for me, while I might do intervals at 6:50 or a tempo run at 7:20, I will do a long run at 8:30.  The pushing yourself here is how long you can go, not how fast.   (Although you need to work up distance slowly).  I just started doing these this spring.

4) Other runs.  If a runner runs, say, six days a week, then the three days not doing speed, tempo, or the long run are just to get "base miles" in.  The idea is that these should be relatively slow and not too long.  So for me, about five miles at an 8:30 pace or slower if that's what my body is telling me.   I've never really run more than 3 times a week until very recently, so I haven't done these much, and I doubt I will much more this season, since after this race, my next race is a tri and I'll have to substitute bikes and swims for runs. 

But I think the key for me at least was to really push it on the speed two or three days a week.  Constantly try to do better in regard to pace than last week (or not get dusted by my running partner as badly).

And lastly, my big "Eureka moment" was about cadence.  At one point, it occurred to me that you can't go faster by just powering through and pushing harder.  Instead, I needed to significantly increase my footfalls per minute, and do it quite purposefully.  If my Garmin is telling me I'm not keeping up with my goal pace for that mile (or interval), instead of thinking "run faster", thinking "get the feet moving." For me, I listened to "Turning Japanese" so much (180 beats per minute) that I can replicate the beat at will in my head and get the feet to follow (well, at least if the wheels haven't fallen off the bus). 

2011-05-13 2:47 PM

El Paso

Hey Ernesto,

just finished finals, back at the blogging and data collection.

I got a question, maybe its obvious but not shure.  Can I aproach my bike trainning whith the same strategy as run trainning? meaning can I do tempo and intervals (hills) in the week and long rides on the weekend? 

Also, how much gatorade or carb drink do l need to take and how often? l dont take any until the first hour or so, then I take a couple of oz every 15 min, but as I get closser to the end I take like 10 oz or more cause of the craving..  is this because l take to little during, or because l know l'm about to finish?

Thank you !!  looking foward to cheering you on woodlands Tx, doing my best to be there as volunteer

Edited by alfredo1414 2011-05-13 3:15 PM

2011-05-13 4:32 PM
in reply to: #3497851

User image

Houston, Texas
older2533 - 2011-05-13 2:12 PM
mikjamlec - 2011-05-12 11:33 PM 

Chris and Jen, you guys sure are putting up some blistering paces!  Did you have a pretty good run to begin with when you started training for triathlons?  How long did it take to get where you are now?  Did you focus your running with different techniques or just slog through the miles until you eventually got better? 

Mike

Mike, 

I really started running only since spring of last year.  For me, the most important thing to getting faster was having a younger, faster running partner (although I will never tell him that) who pushed me to run faster on our relatively short lunchtime runs (about 4 miles).  

If you look at a "standard" runner's training plan, there are four kinds of runs. 

1) Tempo run (usually 1 day per week).  Relatively short distance where you really try to run fast.  This is what I usually did with my friend, and each week we would try to go faster than the last one.

2) Speed work (usually 1 day per week).  Intervals.  I believe these helped me enormously.  My usual is pick a pace that is a real struggle to do a mile in, run 1 mile at that pace, walk for 2 minutes, repeat, say, for a total of four miles.  Ernesto is pushing me to shorten the distances and increase the speeds and number of repeats.  (I'm now doing half mile intervals).  But the key (at least for me) is to push yourself to do it this week faster than last.  

3) Long Runs.  These are supposed to be slow.  So for me, while I might do intervals at 6:50 or a tempo run at 7:20, I will do a long run at 8:30.  The pushing yourself here is how long you can go, not how fast.   (Although you need to work up distance slowly).  I just started doing these this spring.

4) Other runs.  If a runner runs, say, six days a week, then the three days not doing speed, tempo, or the long run are just to get "base miles" in.  The idea is that these should be relatively slow and not too long.  So for me, about five miles at an 8:30 pace or slower if that's what my body is telling me.   I've never really run more than 3 times a week until very recently, so I haven't done these much, and I doubt I will much more this season, since after this race, my next race is a tri and I'll have to substitute bikes and swims for runs. 

But I think the key for me at least was to really push it on the speed two or three days a week.  Constantly try to do better in regard to pace than last week (or not get dusted by my running partner as badly).

And lastly, my big "Eureka moment" was about cadence.  At one point, it occurred to me that you can't go faster by just powering through and pushing harder.  Instead, I needed to significantly increase my footfalls per minute, and do it quite purposefully.  If my Garmin is telling me I'm not keeping up with my goal pace for that mile (or interval), instead of thinking "run faster", thinking "get the feet moving." For me, I listened to "Turning Japanese" so much (180 beats per minute) that I can replicate the beat at will in my head and get the feet to follow (well, at least if the wheels haven't fallen off the bus). 

Wow!  THANK YOU THANK YOU!!  This was exactly the kind of information I was looking for.  I KNEW there had to be some kind of basic framework I could use to build upon.  You've laid it out very well.  I will eventually get around to all the books I've bought, but in the mean time I will build my own plan and work like heck to stick to it.  It helps to have a friend pushing you, like your training buddy, but unfortunately I have no such support system.  And for the record I'm very impressed with where you are today after only a year.  A year I ago I was pretty much where I am today (hence my frustration).

I generally play with my cadence toward the end of the run after zoning out and ignoring it in mile 2 and/or 3.  I will pay more attention, though I won't be up to "Turning Japanese" for a while.  Maybe something from The Clash?  "Should I Stay or Should I Go" for intervals? 

I second Jen's nod to everyone with events this weekend!  GOOD LUCK and let us know the results!

Mike

2011-05-13 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3497916

User image

Master
Dallas
alfredo1414 - 2011-05-13 2:47 PM

Hey Ernesto,

just finished finals, back at the blogging and data collection.

I got a question, maybe its obvious but not shure.  Can I aproach my bike trainning whith the same strategy as run trainning? meaning can I do tempo and intervals (hills) in the week and long rides on the weekend? 

Also, how much gatorade or carb drink do l need to take and how often? l dont take any until the first hour or so, then I take a couple of oz every 15 min, but as I get closser to the end I take like 10 oz or more cause of the craving..  is this because l take to little during, or because l know l'm about to finish?

Thank you !!  looking foward to cheering you on woodlands Tx, doing my best to be there as volunteer

Glad to have you back after your hiatus. How were the finals? Yes, you should approach the bike the same way you do the run. A lot of aerobic stuff but surely intervals and tempos. As far as the drinks, being where you are (hot and dry) sweating is profuse so you should be drinking lots of water and electrolyte drinks such as Gatorade or IM perform (I like this last one better now). The ratio should be 1/1 or so and you're probably looking at around 20 to 30 ounces of each an hour. It may seem exagerated but being where you're at with the summer I would do that.
2011-05-14 12:53 PM

User image

Maple Grove, MN

Good race.  Chip time, 1:38:01.  (The .01 kills me.) Garmin time 1:38:15 since I forgot to turn it off at the end.

Garmin distance 13.2. 

Splits 7:42, 7:32, 7:30, 7:26, 7:30, 7:29, 7:29, 7:31, 7:24, 7:18. 7:16, 7:20, 7:14, 1:27 (but last one was actually 1:13). 

Beat my training partner by a minute.  Race report to follow.  Here's my garmin connect file. 

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/85564145

Thanks for all the help and encouragement everyone!

2011-05-14 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3498877

User image

Master
Dallas
older2533 - 2011-05-14 12:53 PM

Good race.  Chip time, 1:38:01.  (The .01 kills me.) Garmin time 1:38:15 since I forgot to turn it off at the end.

Garmin distance 13.2. 

Splits 7:42, 7:32, 7:30, 7:26, 7:30, 7:29, 7:29, 7:31, 7:24, 7:18. 7:16, 7:20, 7:14, 1:27 (but last one was actually 1:13). 

Beat my training partner by a minute.  Race report to follow.  Here's my garmin connect file. 

Ha! I knew you would break 1:40, told ja!!! Congratulations Chris, pretty fast race. You're a phenomenal runner.
2011-05-14 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
Mexico

Garmin distance 13.2. 

Great run!, You were pretty fast, keep up with the good work, It´s paying. 

2011-05-14 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3498405

El Paso
Thank you Ernesto!Finals were pretty easy and long... You are rigth, here in El Paso its hot and dry, we haven't had any rain since December 2010.. I canceled my ride today cause of some hihg winds and dust storm, hopefully tomorrow will have better conditions for my run .

Edited by alfredo1414 2011-05-14 4:24 PM
2011-05-14 5:35 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Leg Cramps on Swim

Ernesto,

Any suggestions for when you get leg cramps while swimming?  I know the preventative things, potassium, don't get dehydrated.  Just wondered what to do when you already have them?

2011-05-14 5:36 PM

User image

Expert

Garmin distance 13.2. 

Great job Chris!  Now I'm really excited about school being out in 3 weeks and doing more barefoot running.

2011-05-14 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala
older2533 - 2011-05-14 11:53 AM

Garmin distance 13.2. 

Congratulations Chris, very impressive performance, glad to see that you were able to come in under your 1:40 target and also beat your training partner Smile!

I have a 1/2 M next weekend which is supposed to be the toughest 1/2 M in Guatemala (in the city of Coban) due to the many hills and hot humid weather.  I will use your performance as inspiration and see if I can break my January 1/2M PR of 1:52.

Cheers,

Gabriel 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 84