BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 61

2011-12-31 5:41 PM
in reply to: #3963905

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!!
hildekq - 2011-12-31 3:39 PM

Wilson, seriously dude, you're gonna need a catheter for all that liquid you're carrying on your bike!!  Ah never mind, just pee yourself, I'll be sure to make sure I'm in FRONT of you, we'll let Brad bring up the rear, ha ha!!  You sure had some sexy shots of your girl... Cheryl will be jealous!!  Maybe you should name her the "Slut"... because she keeps coming back for more and will let you ride her whenever you want.... or if that's too graphic, what's a good slutty name?  Candy?  Tiffany?  It sure ain't Hilde, ha ha ha hah a!!!!

Kristen, LOVE the specialized... I've always liked the look of them.  And Wilson is right, red, white and black are easy to match... the neon green thing is HARD.  Love that it already has red bar tape, maybe some red tires would be sexy!!  And with the red, you KNOW you are going to be fast, that's a given!!

Brad, we'll see YOU in 2012, sorry things are moving too fast for you... go use some hair product, you'll feel better....

And believe it or not, I rode my bike today!!!!  No lie... rode 30 miles with Tammy Tucker and her hubby.  (I had an extra 3 miles I had to do while they rested up the road because my Garmin launched and I had to go back to find it, which thankfully I did and it was still working!).  Legs felt pretty good for not riding for 2 months... neck and shoulders were a little unhappy, and I know my butt will be scolding me tomorrow for sure!  But it was a beautiful day for a ride, I think it was over 75 when we finished, a bit of a wind, some rollers but nothing too too hard... let's just say I didn't have to walk, although a few of them I was pretty slow!  Nice to get some miles under my belt again, and that was just enough to get some motivation going. 

Hilde...I like the "Slut" recommendation...I'll have to give that some thought!!!  Any others have a crude name that would fit..haha

2011-12-31 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3964037

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

hoffsquared - 2011-12-31 4:00 PM Happy New Year!!!Question for the group --- are there others who don't follow a training plan? I find I don't like to follow them.. Anyone else wing it?

Melanie, I've done it both ways and have been successful both ways.  I do like having a plan for half marathon training, takes all the thinking out of it... but for tri?  The swims are always much shorter than I normally do, I usually like to run more days, and I bike when I can.  So I just kind of stick double workouts in for most of the week... I try to take one day a week totally off, or if I'm really feeling tired, I"ll take off a day and not worry about it.  I think you want to basically start with low distances and easy effort for week 1, build up a bit for week 2, a bit more for week 3, then back off and recover (still doing stuff, just a little less distance and effort than week 3), then start over for week 4, but maybe start with week 2's distances... that means month by month you are adding volume and still have one week of easy/recovery stuff.  It gets kind of weird for me during the summer since I'll have races in there too, so I usually do a quickie taper for each one, even if it's only a day or two off.  This has worked for me for Sprints, but I will probably follow an Oly plan and just tweak to meet my needs.... because I intend to do an Oly the end of April.

2011-12-31 6:07 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

hoffsquared - 2011-12-31 4:00 PM Happy New Year!!!Question for the group --- are there others who don't follow a training plan? I find I don't like to follow them.. Anyone else wing it?

I usually combine plans.  Right now I'm mixing a sprint plan from here with a SmartCoach running plan from Runners World.  The sprint plan's runs are just too short for me but the swim and bike are just about right.  I have to have some kind of plan or I won't do the workouts.

Sorry I haven't been around lately - been trying to get some things done around the house while I've been off work.  I'll try to get caught up tomorrow/Monday before I have to go back to work on Tuesday.

Have a Happy New Year!  Be safe if you're going out tonight.

2011-12-31 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

hoffsquared - 2011-12-31 5:00 PM Happy New Year!!!Question for the group --- are there others who don't follow a training plan? I find I don't like to follow them.. Anyone else wing it?

Melanie, I do usually follow a "loose" training plan.  Otherwise, I tend to slack off.  I plan to use the BT running-focused schedule for OLY. Right now, I'm using the Hal Higdon's novice 1/2 marathon training schedule and do either swim or bike during my "cross training" or "rest" days.

2011-12-31 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3964126

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2011-12-31 5:25 PM

hoffsquared - 2011-12-31 5:00 PM Happy New Year!!!Question for the group --- are there others who don't follow a training plan? I find I don't like to follow them.. Anyone else wing it?

I've been doing a BT Winter Maint/Prep Plan (Oly/HIM maintenance) and then 20 weeks before my HIM I'll be doing the BT 20 week HIM plan.  In the past I completed the 22 weeks Michael Pates Sprint Tri plan that I mentioned to Suzie.  I love having a plan - makes it easy for me and I'm much more disciplined than without!!!

Thanks for suggesting that Wilson - I'm using the swim stuff from that to build up my endurance again. Just have to find out when the pool opens again

2011-12-31 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3942391

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

Happy New Year Friends - May your New Year be filled with some KICK A$$ training and great RACES!!!!  and a few other things too Tongue out

2011-12-31 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3964138

Extreme Veteran

Ok I've added a new plan to my frankenplan,lol.

Run = conservative c25k with a little tweaking in month 1 to get some running in

Bike = Beginner Exercise program

Swim = Micheal Pates 22 week sprint plan.

ST = Whatever I can do. Sort of just winging that with some help from a few people over on RW and sort of following the BEP plan when I can - don't have all the equipment they say I should have since I'm not a gym member but I usually find something to substitute that works the same muscle group.

Only issue now is back because they have me using a fitness ball for extensions - can they be done normally on a floor/mat or something?

2011-12-31 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3964258

Extreme Veteran
wsilverthorne - 2011-12-31 7:40 PM

Happy New Year Friends - May your New Year be filled with some KICK A$$ training and great RACES!!!!  and a few other things too Tongue out

Happpy new year Wilson - and  everyone else. Looks good so far - just waiting for the washing to dry so I can get some running in later.

2011-12-31 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin

Up until this point I have loved following a training plan.  I like numbers/charts/grafts and am a little OCD, so training plans fall nicely into that.  I also didn't know what I was doing, so a training plan helped feel like having training wheels or arm floaties.  But, as much as I love them, I'm thinking a lot about just winging it in the months before my first tri of the season.  It just sounds fun right now.  Who knows!

2011-12-31 7:50 PM
in reply to: #3963687

User image

Seminole, FL
Oh my gosh! Stop that bike is a beaut!! LOVE IT!!!!  
2011-12-31 7:51 PM

User image

Seminole, FL
HAPPY NEW YEARS!!! and it looks like I owe some happy birthdays to my tri peeps!

2011-12-31 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3964268

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana
lounav - 2011-12-31 8:46 PM

Up until this point I have loved following a training plan.  I like numbers/charts/grafts and am a little OCD, so training plans fall nicely into that.  I also didn't know what I was doing, so a training plan helped feel like having training wheels or arm floaties.  But, as much as I love them, I'm thinking a lot about just winging it in the months before my first tri of the season.  It just sounds fun right now.  Who knows!

After all those reasons you like plans...you've now decided to ditch them and go willy nilly????  Are you drunk??? hahah  LMAO  I think a plan is what you need....based on all those reasons......PUT DOWN THE BOTTLE GIRL......ENOUGH!!! 

2011-12-31 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3964201

User image

Extreme Veteran
kpringle - 2011-12-31 5:36 PM

Melanie, I've done both. Shorter races, I pretty much did my own thing; since I travel, I have to be flexible about when workouts happen. Now that I'm into longer distances, I have a plan, but I follow it the way I do recipes: look at it then do my own thing. My BT HIM plan started off big: 3500 yard swims the 1st week (which I can't do), and four hour rides a full 3 1/2 months prior to race day. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm following it as close as I can.
2011-12-31 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3963956

User image

Extreme Veteran
peggyf - 2011-12-31 2:09 PMWilson, love the pics!  Jealous of the tri bike, but that'll have to wait for me for a while.  I do have the little bento box on mine.  Love it for the fuel (or cell phone or both).  I've been wondering about fluids on a HIM.  The extra cages might be a good idea.  I usually ride long with a camelbak but how would I refill it if I needed to?  I see on the map of my race that there are several water spots for the bike.  I wonder how that works.  Besides, I forgot that my "bladder" for my pack had some left over gatorade in it -- can you say nasty mold?  So I threw it away and now need a new one. 
Peggy, on my HIM, I used my two frame-mounted holders with 24 oz bottles (Gu Brew), plus my aerobar-mounted aerodrink system for water (holds 24 oz, I think, and costs less than $20). They had aid stations with bottle handoffs (the big ones with the sports cap that you could stick in your bottle holder). I would take one and empty it into the quick fill cap on the aerodrink bottle- takes about 2 seconds. This has been all I've needed. I usually don't use the aerodrink on training rides- it makes the water taste funny. Even in the desert heat, even on 50 mile rides, this has been sufficient- I just plan for a water stop at a convenience store.I tried one like Wilson has once (borrowed it), but found it difficult to get the bottles in and out under my arse. I guess it just takes practice. I think for IMAZ, I'll plan on refilling water and getting my nutrition mostly from gel flasks. Or just stuff my jersey with donuts! Definitely something you have to plan put for longer races.
2012-01-01 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3964258

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
wsilverthorne - 2011-12-31 8:40 PM

I might not be as sparkly as all this but I do wish everyone nothing but the best in 2012!!!
2012-01-01 7:36 AM
in reply to: #3964302

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Oops - double post!

Edited by Sulcus 2012-01-01 7:39 AM

2012-01-01 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3964302

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
wsilverthorne - 2011-12-31 9:18 PM
lounav - 2011-12-31 8:46 PM<p>
</p><p>Up until this point I have loved following a training plan.  I like numbers/charts/grafts and am a little OCD, so training plans fall nicely into that.  I also didn't know what I was doing, so a training plan helped feel like having training wheels or arm floaties.  But, as much as I love them, I'm thinking a lot about just winging it in the months before my first tri of the season.  It just sounds fun right now.  Who knows!</p><p>
</p><p>After all those reasons you like plans...you've now decided to ditch them and go willy nilly????  Are you drunk??? hahah  LMAO  I think a plan is what you need....based on all those reasons......PUT DOWN THE BOTTLE GIRL......ENOUGH!!! </p>
I have to agree with Wilson here. I thought the exact same thing when I read your post. Perhaps a silver level training plan might make you even happier because they often give you very specific things to do during each workout? I know I grew a bit bored with the basic plans here but love the direction of the silver level plans.
2012-01-01 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran

First, the GOOOOD NEWS!! For all my BT peeps from last season....I RAN SEVEN MILES TODAY!! Wooot!! There was some shuffling going on in there up some of these BLASTED freakin hills, but I made it!! :-))  Am now icing my foot and thinking tomorrow will be a REST day regardless of the plan to make sure that I don't over-use/over "do" it and cause new injuries...

To all the ladies contemplating plans......I tend to be a bit OCD - everything has to be logged AND I like to KNOW what I am going to do in advance so I know how much time to plan. With a large family, school etc it just works better for me to have an idea. In addition to that, when one has a plan and sticks pretty much to it one has a higher expectation of SUCCESS on the day of competition rather than no idea how well they may do....Just my opinion...

2012-01-01 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3964554

User image

Veteran
Austin
Sulcus - 2012-01-01 7:38 AM
wsilverthorne - 2011-12-31 9:18 PM
lounav - 2011-12-31 8:46 PM

After all those reasons you like plans...you've now decided to ditch them and go willy nilly????  Are you drunk??? hahah  LMAO  I think a plan is what you need....based on all those reasons......PUT DOWN THE BOTTLE GIRL......ENOUGH!!! 

I have to agree with Wilson here. I thought the exact same thing when I read your post. Perhaps a silver level training plan might make you even happier because they often give you very specific things to do during each workout? I know I grew a bit bored with the basic plans here but love the direction of the silver level plans.

I just said I was THINKING about ditching a plan.  As much as I have loved my plans, I thought it might be a nice break to try and go without.  I'll still have all my logs, etc to help my OCD.  But, now I know if I only make it a week without a plan I can count on some good laughs from everyone.

2012-01-01 3:12 PM
in reply to: #3964898

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on the 7 mile run Tammy. I like plans for the same reasons - even though I usually end up combining them to give me something that works best for me.
2012-01-01 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3965031

Extreme Veteran
Louise - maybe you should wean yourself off plans rather than go cold turkey. E.g have a plan of what to do each day in terms of which activity/activities but wing the time/distance.

2012-01-01 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3965080

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Congrats on the 7 miler Tammy!!  For you noobs, Tammy has been fighting nerve pain in her feet for years!  She tried drs., orthotics, steroid shots between the toes, drinking till she passed out and even having another kid, but all was for naught... she ended up having surgery to kill the nerve back in October and is just now getting her mileage back up.  So for her to be able to run pain-free for 7 miles is STUPENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I will try the MARSHMALLOW plan.... soft and cushy, never too hard!

2012-01-01 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3965130

Extreme Veteran
hildekq - 2012-01-01 4:05 PM

Congrats on the 7 miler Tammy!!  For you noobs, Tammy has been fighting nerve pain in her feet for years!  She tried drs., orthotics, steroid shots between the toes, drinking till she passed out and even having another kid, but all was for naught... she ended up having surgery to kill the nerve back in October and is just now getting her mileage back up.  So for her to be able to run pain-free for 7 miles is STUPENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry if this is a double post - my internet is being silly.

Does Tammy really need an excuse to have another kid,lol.

Don't worry Tammy - just teasing - my mun is 1 of 7.

Oh and here's my tweaked month 1 of the running program:

Session 1

Session 2

Session 3

Session 4

Week 2

W 7:15 R 0:15 W 7:15 R 0:15

(15 min total)

W 10:53 R 0:23 W 3:38 R 0:08

(15:02 total) – can’t do fractions of seconds so rounded them up

W 9:45 R 0:30 W 9:45

(20 min total)

W 20 min

Week 3

W 9:30 R 0:30 W 9:30 R 0:30

(20 min total)

W 14:15 R 0:45 W 4:45 R 0:15

(20 min total)

W 12:00 R 1:00 W 12:00

(25 min total)

25 min walk

Week 4

W 11:30 R 1:00 W 11:30 R 1:00

(25 min total)

W 17:15 R 1:30 W 5:45 R 0:30

(25 min total)

W 14:00 R 2:00 W 14: 00

(30 min total)

30 min walk

Take same approach to continuation of c25k program:

Session 1 – ½ total mins x 2

Session 2 – ¾ total mins x1 ¼ total min x2

Session 3 – total mins run in middle of 2 walk intervals of ½ total mins.  - This is the approach I intend taking for the rest of the program - Haven't quite figured out what to do with session 4 yet (probalby do run/walk with the previous week's intervals or something) but I will be keeping it for the entire program.

Oh and if you're looking at my logs when I start the official program (around Jan 23) and the sport (aka walking) mins don't match with the plan it's because I log the whole thing under run to work out the full mileage rather than separately.

2012-01-01 5:40 PM
in reply to: #3965130

Extreme Veteran
hildekq - 2012-01-01 4:05 PM

Marshmallow plan still sounds better than the couch plan Hilde,lol.

2012-01-01 7:13 PM

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA

Awesome 7 miler today, Tammy!  Way to start the new year off RIGHT!  Glad your foot is cooperating so far...

P.S. I was going put this in an inspire, but I'm not added to your friends list yet.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!!! Rss Feed  

of 61