BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2012-04-09 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4138424

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 2:07 AM

Yeah, I don't really document that. I stretch and roll on a need-be basis. But I must admit, it is rare (i'm talking maybe twice a week?

The thing is, I have stretched and not stretched and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I don't say this because I think I am right, it is just an observation. I am generally not too sore or stiff but I will say that I always have had extremely tight hamstrings. Not painful or anything but I can HARDLY touch my toes. It's pathetic. 

Unless it does start making a difference, or you suddenly feel the need to become the world champion in toe-touching running, don't worry about it.

BTW ... I've always done the strength training. It just got filed under Yoga or Stretch Cords. Fooled ya! Definitely pulled back on it during the "peakest" of the peak weeks and taper, though. I just didn't do it until my body fell apart from all the illnesses.

Dara Torres has osteoarthritis, and she's a sprinter, which arguably is even worse wear on major joints, and she's doing okay (grand understatement of the century) ... so I feel much better about my prospects/progress/etc.

2012-04-09 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Melon Presser
Okay, so have I totally ignored and/or offended anyone yet? No? Clearly, I'm slacking. Maybe Salty can pick it up and annoy someone today ...
2012-04-09 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4136738

User image

Veteran
Maryland
ukweeble - 2012-04-08 2:40 PM

Better do that quick intro i promised yesterday.

I am a married 47 year old father of one 9 year old living at home and 5 who are now grown up. I used to have a physical job which kept me reasonably fit but then i went into teaching and now help run the family business, neither of which were/are particularly active. Consequently i have slowly gone to seed and even look like one, being round and shiney on top. The week before Christmas i suddenly announced to my family that i was going to do a triathlon. It surprised me as much as it did them, but on boxing day i found this site, logged in, printed off the Micheal Pate couch potato to sprint programme, put on my old trainers and waddled off for my first run/walk.

Luckily the site was setting up the new year mentor programme and I found myself immersed in the crazy world of the Manatees.

I live in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, ENGLAND about 7 miles from the heart of Sherwood Forest (where Robin Hood lived).

From not being able to run for more than 2 mins, I completed The Lincoln City 10k 2 weeks ago, in 1:02, which was my first ever race. I have still to compete in my first triathlon and hope to put this right by entering a local sprint series in three weeks.

I am still struggling to break my nicotine addiction, am 25lb overweight, swim like a brick and have only a borrowed road bike but what the hey, lifes for the taking and it's time i got on with it.

The Manatee pod has been brilliant and it's reincarnation looks possibly even better, so i am really looking forward to continuing my journey with you all.

By the way, my sense of humour is distinctly sarcastic, being British, so if i accidently offend any of you whilst trying to be funny, I apologise in advance.

Training at the moment is sporadic due to a niggling, persistant calf muscle injury but i will always keep you posted.

Here's to us all for 2012Laughing

Hello!

How fun! and you rock! are a couple things that immediately come to mind as I read your post. Running a 10K in just over an hour as your first race is awesome! (I was a whimp, my first race was a 5K). Looking forward to hearing from you, and perhaps even being kept up to date on the happenings in Sherwood Forest.

~Pauline

2012-04-09 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4138442

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2012-04-09 1:14 PM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-10 2:07 AM

Yeah, I don't really document that. I stretch and roll on a need-be basis. But I must admit, it is rare (i'm talking maybe twice a week?

The thing is, I have stretched and not stretched and it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I don't say this because I think I am right, it is just an observation. I am generally not too sore or stiff but I will say that I always have had extremely tight hamstrings. Not painful or anything but I can HARDLY touch my toes. It's pathetic. 

Unless it does start making a difference, or you suddenly feel the need to become the world champion in toe-touching running, don't worry about it.

BTW ... I've always done the strength training. It just got filed under Yoga or Stretch Cords. Fooled ya! Definitely pulled back on it during the "peakest" of the peak weeks and taper, though. I just didn't do it until my body fell apart from all the illnesses.

Dara Torres has osteoarthritis, and she's a sprinter, which arguably is even worse wear on major joints, and she's doing okay (grand understatement of the century) ... so I feel much better about my prospects/progress/etc.

Plus I feel that training with some sort of up-hill battle is kind of your thing. You thrive that way Smile

Dara Torres is like, the coolest name EVER!

2012-04-09 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4138428

User image

Master
TriAya - 2012-04-09 11:09 AM
wushunut - 2012-04-09 11:22 PM

So I've been messing with (more like messing-up) my fit on my bike lately.  It's roadbike with clip-ons and a FF seat post.  Seemed fine when I was just "trying it out" but after a longer ride I'm finding that I can't stay in aero as long anymore.  My triceps and shoulder just start to burn after awhile.  Not sure where to make the adjustment.  The weird thing is that despite the changes I made to my road fit to get a "tri" fit, my road fit feels more comfortable than ever. Weird.

Anybody have any ideas? (Please don't tell me to get a proper tri-bike. I just can't justify that expense right now.)

Another idea is to ditch the clip-ons and just go with the road fit, since that's what's comfortable and is working for you. Whatever gets you the most T.I.T.S. (Time In The Saddle, for those unfamiliar with the cycling jargon) ... people do IMs with road bikes in road positions and do fine.

Thanks for this.  I have a pair of clip ons that I have been contemplating putting on my roadie, but haven't yet had the guts to do so.  Mostly because I don't want to mess with what has been working so far.  What I have been doing is trying to 'get low' on my bike.  So would you say that those that do IMs on their road bikes spend a lot/the majority of time in the drops?  Or just try and get low while on the hoods?

2012-04-09 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4138450

User image

Melon Presser
pdc33 - 2012-04-10 2:16 AM

Hello!

How fun! and you rock! are a couple things that immediately come to mind as I read your post. Running a 10K in just over an hour as your first race is awesome! (I was a whimp, my first race was a 5K). Looking forward to hearing from you, and perhaps even being kept up to date on the happenings in Sherwood Forest.

~Pauline

Pssst ... Allen is actually Little John.

Pauline ... love love love your enthusiasm and attitude.

2012-04-09 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4138486

User image

Melon Presser
bcraht - 2012-04-10 2:25 AM
TriAya - 2012-04-09 11:09 AM
wushunut - 2012-04-09 11:22 PM

So I've been messing with (more like messing-up) my fit on my bike lately.  It's roadbike with clip-ons and a FF seat post.  Seemed fine when I was just "trying it out" but after a longer ride I'm finding that I can't stay in aero as long anymore.  My triceps and shoulder just start to burn after awhile.  Not sure where to make the adjustment.  The weird thing is that despite the changes I made to my road fit to get a "tri" fit, my road fit feels more comfortable than ever. Weird.

Anybody have any ideas? (Please don't tell me to get a proper tri-bike. I just can't justify that expense right now.)

Another idea is to ditch the clip-ons and just go with the road fit, since that's what's comfortable and is working for you. Whatever gets you the most T.I.T.S. (Time In The Saddle, for those unfamiliar with the cycling jargon) ... people do IMs with road bikes in road positions and do fine.

Thanks for this.  I have a pair of clip ons that I have been contemplating putting on my roadie, but haven't yet had the guts to do so.  Mostly because I don't want to mess with what has been working so far.  What I have been doing is trying to 'get low' on my bike.  So would you say that those that do IMs on their road bikes spend a lot/the majority of time in the drops?  Or just try and get low while on the hoods?

Depends on the rider and the course. If you look at pro riders (mainly because there's not a lot of footage of average Joe riders) they can get into lovely streamlined positions, hoods or drops. So do whatever you're comfortable with.

2012-04-09 1:31 PM
in reply to: #4138354

User image

Veteran
Maryland
ukweeble - 2012-04-09 1:40 PM

Thanks for advice on the 'what to wear' issue. Looks like i'll have to splash out on Tri shorts and get some practice in before 'D' day.

Finally did my rain run. As it turned out, the rain eased significantly. Who says procrastination doesn't pay? Also set a new PR, which having only packed in the cigarettes (again), 5 hours ago, is not a bad result.

Daren't tell Yanti and Salty that i had started smoking again in the last pod because they would have given me a good THWACKING.

Yay! Congrats on the run in the rain! When I would run with my training groups they would always say "we run in the rain". The only time we wouldn't is if there was lightning. You never know what it's going to be like on race day! If it's raining, you can't say you're not going to run!

~Pauline

2012-04-09 1:40 PM
in reply to: #4138503

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Since I haven't run since my half marathon back on March 4th, my goal is to run three times this week.

First run -- check!

~Pauline

2012-04-09 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4138450

User image

England
pdc33 - 2012-04-09 7:16 PM
ukweeble - 2012-04-08 2:40 PM

Better do that quick intro i promised yesterday.

I am a married 47 year old father of one 9 year old living at home and 5 who are now grown up. I used to have a physical job which kept me reasonably fit but then i went into teaching and now help run the family business, neither of which were/are particularly active. Consequently i have slowly gone to seed and even look like one, being round and shiney on top. The week before Christmas i suddenly announced to my family that i was going to do a triathlon. It surprised me as much as it did them, but on boxing day i found this site, logged in, printed off the Micheal Pate couch potato to sprint programme, put on my old trainers and waddled off for my first run/walk.

Luckily the site was setting up the new year mentor programme and I found myself immersed in the crazy world of the Manatees.

I live in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, ENGLAND about 7 miles from the heart of Sherwood Forest (where Robin Hood lived).

From not being able to run for more than 2 mins, I completed The Lincoln City 10k 2 weeks ago, in 1:02, which was my first ever race. I have still to compete in my first triathlon and hope to put this right by entering a local sprint series in three weeks.

I am still struggling to break my nicotine addiction, am 25lb overweight, swim like a brick and have only a borrowed road bike but what the hey, lifes for the taking and it's time i got on with it.

The Manatee pod has been brilliant and it's reincarnation looks possibly even better, so i am really looking forward to continuing my journey with you all.

By the way, my sense of humour is distinctly sarcastic, being British, so if i accidently offend any of you whilst trying to be funny, I apologise in advance.

Training at the moment is sporadic due to a niggling, persistant calf muscle injury but i will always keep you posted.

Here's to us all for 2012Laughing

Hello!

~Pauline

Ahh thanks chuck, have  tuffie. In fact everyone grab a sweetie whilst the bags open
2012-04-09 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4138525

User image

England
pdc33 - 2012-04-09 7:40 PM

Since I haven't run since my half marathon back on March 4th, my goal is to run three times this week.

First run -- check!

~Pauline

nice one girl, keep on keeping on

2012-04-09 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4126290

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Wow, busy busy busy thread! That is awesome...As for me, I am sitting at home, still sick--I called off of work today, cause of the crappiness I feel. Thankfully, it seems to be decreasing...I certainly hope so--I have 6 days til my race!

I have been riding with clip ons on  my road bike for the last two months. I noticed a slight increase in my speed--on one ride--but since that ride, I have not been able to re-capture it.  That, and the ride has not been terribly comfortable--perhaps it is due to the bar lengths--they are pretty long. I think that I will remove them for Sunday's race, and maybe work on getting them back on and done right during the summer.

As I was posting the manatee list on my page, I felt the need to add a cool photo with it--but it needs to be shared, so here it is (feel free to copy for your own page!) :

2012-04-09 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4138373

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
pdc33 - 2012-04-09 12:50 PM
cggale - 2012-04-07 9:50 PM

Greetings fellow Manatees.  

Claire (cggale)

I'm a 41 years old.  2012 will be the start of my third year in tris.  I got into the crazy world of tris because of my awesome twin sister.  She is an elite level triathlete who challenged me three years ago to learn how to swim and start this amazing journey.  I was originally a runner in high school, so it tends to be my favorite of the three disciplines.  I'm a very slow swimmer but I enjoy how it makes me feel.  I'm a MOP biker hoping to improve next season.  I've learned a lot from this group and am exited to learn and share our questions, knowledge, and experiences.  

Family status

Married with two wonderful daughters age 11 and 6.  Family and work have made it a challenge to get in the training, but once the holidays are over and everything get's slowly back to normal ( is that possible?)  I will be able to train more consistently.  Right now, I fit in workouts when there are windows of opportunity.  Edit:  I'm following a mixture of half marathon and HIM training plans.  

2012 races

Let's see, I got the Carmel Sprint Triathlon next week, 1/2 marathon in May, Oly in May, HIM, in June scheduled.  I will probably do some shorter run races and a couple of extra triathlons later in the summer.  It's pretty full compared to last year, but I'm exited for the challenge.

Glad to be a part of the group.  

Unfortunately I'm allergic to the furry critters, so no furry children in our household.   But I love dogs and cats and have enjoyed seeing their pictures.  They are all so cute!!   

Hi Claire!

How great to have such an amazing sister! How did you learn how to swim?

~Pauline

Hi Pauline!

I learned how to swim about three years ago.  I never swam (only splashed around) as a kid due to constant ear infections.  My sister was the swimmer and I was the runner growing up.   I was always afraid of getting my head submerged in water for fear of hurting my ears.  My ear doctor said I could swim and that routine check ups are really all that i needed.  

So, I learned how to swim with the help of my sister and youtube.  I'm slow, but I'm ok with that.  I'm having a great time doing tri.  

Thanks for asking.  

2012-04-09 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4138417

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriAya - 2012-04-09 2:05 PM

Artemis - 2012-04-09 11:57 PM Really didn't do anything like run this weekend.  Baby E just wanted mommy all weekend.  She now has 6 teeth visible under the gums and she will be 4 months old in two days.  Not so much fun coming for us!  Poor thing is not happy.

Teef? TEEF?! But she just popped out, like, yesterday!!!

She'll be four months old on Wednesday!  Hard to believe.

No teeth through the gums yet, but they are definitely just under.  You can see all the little bumps.

I like how daddy is better when she is happy and in a good mood, but she wants ONLY MOMMY when she is sad and unhappy.  Oh well.  At least I am wanted. 

2012-04-09 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4138492

User image

England
TriAya - 2012-04-09 7:26 PM
pdc33 - 2012-04-10 2:16 AM

Hello!

~Pauline

Pssst ... Allen is actually Little John.

Pauline ... love love love your enthusiasm and attitude.

Yanti is half right, but my name's not John.

Actually visited the Major Oak yesterday whilst taking the dog for a walk (where robin Hood and his merry men hung out) Its now 1150 years old and propped up so it doesn't keel over but it's still alive!

Edited by ukweeble 2012-04-09 2:55 PM
2012-04-09 2:52 PM
in reply to: #4138691

User image

Melon Presser
Artemis - 2012-04-10 3:41 AM

Artemis - 2012-04-09 11:57 PM Really didn't do anything like run this weekend.  Baby E just wanted mommy all weekend.  She now has 6 teeth visible under the gums and she will be 4 months old in two days.  Not so much fun coming for us!  Poor thing is not happy.

No teeth through the gums yet, but they are definitely just under.  You can see all the little bumps.

I like how daddy is better when she is happy and in a good mood, but she wants ONLY MOMMY when she is sad and unhappy.  Oh well.  At least I am wanted. 

How are the kitties taking it all? Biscuits is asleep at my feet with her paw over her eyes, which I never fail to find hilarious.

2012-04-09 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4138732

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
TriAya - 2012-04-09 3:52 PM
Artemis - 2012-04-10 3:41 AM

How are the kitties taking it all? Biscuits is asleep at my feet with her paw over her eyes, which I never fail to find hilarious.

Taji cat (aka Queen of All That She Sees) was mad, but only at us.  She's never been aggressive towards the baby, but has hissed and scratched us and visitors (ask poor Judi).  She's getting much better, but definitely demands attention if we are sitting on the floor playing with E.

Griffin cat (aka Mr. Skittish) came around much more quickly.  He will smell her and sometimes tries to steal her stuffed animals.  It's funny to watch.  If she drops them, he'll run over, sniff them, sniff her hand.  Then, she'll notice him, get excited, and try to pet him, so he runs away without the animal.  I think they will be friends once she is less excited about him and he can curl up with her while she sleeps.

2012-04-09 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4138684

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
cggale - 2012-04-09 1:37 PM
pdc33 - 2012-04-09 12:50 PM
cggale - 2012-04-07 9:50 PM

Greetings fellow Manatees.  

Claire (cggale)

I'm a 41 years old.  2012 will be the start of my third year in tris.  I got into the crazy world of tris because of my awesome twin sister.  She is an elite level triathlete who challenged me three years ago to learn how to swim and start this amazing journey.  I was originally a runner in high school, so it tends to be my favorite of the three disciplines.  I'm a very slow swimmer but I enjoy how it makes me feel.  I'm a MOP biker hoping to improve next season.  I've learned a lot from this group and am exited to learn and share our questions, knowledge, and experiences.  

Family status

Married with two wonderful daughters age 11 and 6.  Family and work have made it a challenge to get in the training, but once the holidays are over and everything get's slowly back to normal ( is that possible?)  I will be able to train more consistently.  Right now, I fit in workouts when there are windows of opportunity.  Edit:  I'm following a mixture of half marathon and HIM training plans.  

2012 races

Let's see, I got the Carmel Sprint Triathlon next week, 1/2 marathon in May, Oly in May, HIM, in June scheduled.  I will probably do some shorter run races and a couple of extra triathlons later in the summer.  It's pretty full compared to last year, but I'm exited for the challenge.

Glad to be a part of the group.  

Unfortunately I'm allergic to the furry critters, so no furry children in our household.   But I love dogs and cats and have enjoyed seeing their pictures.  They are all so cute!!   

Hi Claire!

How great to have such an amazing sister! How did you learn how to swim?

~Pauline

Hi Pauline!

I learned how to swim about three years ago.  I never swam (only splashed around) as a kid due to constant ear infections.  My sister was the swimmer and I was the runner growing up.   I was always afraid of getting my head submerged in water for fear of hurting my ears.  My ear doctor said I could swim and that routine check ups are really all that i needed.  

So, I learned how to swim with the help of my sister and youtube.  I'm slow, but I'm ok with that.  I'm having a great time doing tri.  

Thanks for asking.  

I need to get that attitude back.  I started swimming just under a year ago and I was thrilled when I could swim 50 meters! Somehow I got it in my head this winter that I needed to get my time to sub 2:00/100 and recently it's been taking my enjoyment out of swimming. I need to be ok with slow.

2012-04-09 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4138492

User image

Elite

Hi guys and gals.

Weekend's over and I don't mind that!  I get edgy all that time on my hands!

So monday I went to a different swim squad at 5.30am - run by a guy called Stephen Foster who I think was Aussie triathlon champion back in the day.  Was nice to mix it up with a different lot fo people and training, but he wasn't a patch on my Coach John Van Wisse - back to him tomorrow - thank God!

Today's workout - well the weather has turned freezing (well by Melbourne standards) - but today I have a 30min run - doing that in my lunch break.  And a 60min ride which will have to be on the trainer again - which I don't mind, comfort of the lounge room etc!  Music on!  No fear of falling into the traffic, or indeed of falling at all.  And at the end of my 60mins I do 5mins clipping and unclipping!

Back to work today and as previously stated not that bothered - I'm a woman who loves routine so public holidays mess with all of that!

Have a great week everyone!

2012-04-09 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4138809

User image

Melon Presser
rrrunner - 2012-04-10 4:11 AM

I need to get that attitude back.  I started swimming just under a year ago and I was thrilled when I could swim 50 meters! Somehow I got it in my head this winter that I needed to get my time to sub 2:00/100 and recently it's been taking my enjoyment out of swimming. I need to be ok with slow.

I'm gonna wax philosophical for (way too long) here ...

This is why I love triathlon. Fundamentally, I'm pretty terrible at it (unless there's a proportionally long swim and a very technical bike course). I'm slow. And I love it.

I was a pro in a different sport, and very good at a couple others. Sometimes I wonder about going back to one of them (although I suppose in a way, with my long-distance swimming aspirations, I will be). But in the meantime, I love being terrible at triathlon!

Because it's a high-quality lifestyle ... not just a string of achievements (which are tenuous). Because for me, in triathlon, I get to be ... not just do.

2012-04-09 3:24 PM
in reply to: #4138822

User image

Melon Presser
jobaxas - 2012-04-10 4:15 AM

Hi guys and gals.

So monday I went to a different swim squad at 5.30am - run by a guy called Stephen Foster who I think was Aussie triathlon champion back in the day.  Was nice to mix it up with a different lot fo people and training, but he wasn't a patch on my Coach John Van Wisse - back to him tomorrow - thank God!

Today's workout - well the weather has turned freezing (well by Melbourne standards) - but today I have a 30min run - doing that in my lunch break.  And a 60min ride which will have to be on the trainer again - which I don't mind, comfort of the lounge room etc!  Music on!  No fear of falling into the traffic, or indeed of falling at all.  And at the end of my 60mins I do 5mins clipping and unclipping!

Back to work today and as previously stated not that bothered - I'm a woman who loves routine so public holidays mess with all of that!

Good girl. As for the practice--try doing it with your eyes closed, and don't forget the braking part first.

2012-04-09 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4138822

User image

Seattle
jobaxas - 2012-04-09 3:15 PM

Hi guys and gals.

You get my respect just for having your eyes open at 5:30 am! 

2012-04-09 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4138878

User image

Coastal Carolina
Asalzwed - 2012-04-09 4:32 PM

Hi guys and gals.

x2 I never did make it to the masters swim in my area because of the time I'd have to wake up...

My weekend starts tomorrow.  Just got the bike tuned up and ready to go so a bunch of riding, mostly easy, for the tri in a week and a half oh boy!  Also going for a couple of test open water swims with my new wetsuit to get used to it.  Ocean swims, any advice for a first timer in a wetsuit?

2012-04-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: #4138901

User image

Melon Presser
Tripopo - 2012-04-10 4:38 AM
Asalzwed - 2012-04-09 4:32 PM

Hi guys and gals.

x2 I never did make it to the masters swim in my area because of the time I'd have to wake up...

My weekend starts tomorrow.  Just got the bike tuned up and ready to go so a bunch of riding, mostly easy, for the tri in a week and a half oh boy!  Also going for a couple of test open water swims with my new wetsuit to get used to it.  Ocean swims, any advice for a first timer in a wetsuit?

Be really careful putting it on so you don't rip it (you have good wetsuit-putting-on instructions?) ... but pull it up far enough in the crotch that you are singing soprano. Not kidding. That's how a wetsuit should fit.

2012-04-09 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4138914

User image

Coastal Carolina
TriAya - 2012-04-09 4:41 PM

Be really careful putting it on so you don't rip it (you have good wetsuit-putting-on instructions?) ... but pull it up far enough in the crotch that you are singing soprano. Not kidding. That's how a wetsuit should fit.

Ahh No.  It came in a envelope style package with a tag and an invoice... 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Salty MAD MANATEES Mentor Group - FULL POD Rss Feed  

of 81