BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-02-14 6:05 AM
in reply to: #4620198

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Is it just me or has then been the longest week EVER??!!  OMG, it feels like today should be Friday, how I wish it was.  Valentine's Day parties, the kids will either already be sugared up, or hyper about sugaring up, ugh.  No teaching planned for today, that's for sure!!!! 

I am slowly getting back into my routine and had a really good outside bike yesterday... our temps have been awesome, 30's in the mornings and 60's in the afternoons.  I have been enjoying NOT getting up at 4 a.m., but that will happen again next week and I am definitely looking forward to getting back in the pool and hope that 2 weeks off hasn't erased all my gains. 

Train on Beasties!!  And please visit everyone's logs and leave them some encouragement, all the gung ho-ness of January has settled into the February lull in motivation, so let's pump each other up!!!

2013-02-14 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4553673

User image

Expert
Falls Church
I am a desk potato today.
2013-02-14 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
X2 on this week feeling like forever, Hilde-- what's with that?? Hope everyone treats themselves to something lovely of their choice today as a reward for all the hard training so far in 2013! Go beasties!
2013-02-14 7:03 PM

Spring/Woodlands Area
Trying to make lemonade out of the suckfest that is this week. My foot has decided to really start acting up, so in addition to making this my recovery week I'm going for near complete rest and probably no running for the next 2 weeks. Then evaluate to determine if I'm headed to the doctor. Hoping it is just a bruise. Good luck to everyone fighting the doldrums. Train smart!
2013-02-14 9:55 PM

User image

New user

Chicago
Good evening Beasties! Hope all of you had a descent Valentines Day. Me--I treated myself to a nice 5 mile run after work today. Which bring me here to ask a somewhat embarrassing question.I have been increasing my mileage and being a person that sweats a bit my ummm "nips" get irritated to the point that they bleed at times. I was wondering what you ladies do to help this situation? I have thought of using Ultraglide, Vaseline, or Band Aids but wanted an opinion from the experts.Any suggestions?Thanks,-Stan
2013-02-15 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4623149

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Well Stan, this is what works for me (and I'm assuming the rest of the ladies) with the "nip" problem, yeah, um, we wear a sports bra!  No chafing!  I think a lot of guys either put on a lot of Body Glide or cover them up with Band Aids or wear a tight compression shirt that won't slide around when you run.  NOT a nice problem to have, although seeing streaks of red running down your shirt is pretty bad @$$!! 

Hope everyone had a nice Valentine's Day yesterday, and TGIF, for reals!!!  3 day weekend yea!!!

2013-02-15 7:01 AM
in reply to: #4623002

User image

Expert
Falls Church

apglave - 2013-02-14 7:03 PM Trying to make lemonade out of the suckfest that is this week. My foot has decided to really start acting up, so in addition to making this my recovery week I'm going for near complete rest and probably no running for the next 2 weeks. Then evaluate to determine if I'm headed to the doctor. Hoping it is just a bruise. Good luck to everyone fighting the doldrums. Train smart!

What part of your foot is acting up?  If it feels like a bruise in your heel --- might be plantar fasciitis.  Not a fun injury.

2013-02-15 7:03 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Bearhawk - 2013-02-14 9:55 PM Good evening Beasties! Hope all of you had a descent Valentines Day. Me--I treated myself to a nice 5 mile run after work today. Which bring me here to ask a somewhat embarrassing question.I have been increasing my mileage and being a person that sweats a bit my ummm "nips" get irritated to the point that they bleed at times. I was wondering what you ladies do to help this situation? I have thought of using Ultraglide, Vaseline, or Band Aids but wanted an opinion from the experts.Any suggestions?Thanks,-Stan

x2 on what Hilde says.  BodyGlide, band-aids, nip guards, tight shirt.  Give them all a try.  Also -- no cotton.

2013-02-15 7:04 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
So I swung by a bunch of training logs yesterday.  Wow!  Looks like almost everything struggled with getting in training.  A few had success but most did not.  Must be the time of year or something.  Let's hope next week is better for everyone!
2013-02-15 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Motivation has really been lacking for me this weekFrown.  I felt good the last couple of weeks and now this week things have gone downhill.  I can't be overdoing it 'cause I don't train that hard.  I have had some added stress this week though so that might be part of it.  When I get stressed I don't sleep well, don't eat well and just generally don't do anything well.  Hopefully some of this stuff will work itself out and I can get back to normal - well, normal for me anywayTongue out.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

2013-02-15 2:28 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Something to get us going....

(377596_10151440654844292_748475232_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
377596_10151440654844292_748475232_n.jpg (23KB - 11 downloads)

2013-02-15 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Bearhawk - 2013-02-14 9:55 PMGood evening Beasties! Hope all of you had a descent Valentines Day. Me--I treated myself to a nice 5 mile run after work today. Which bring me here to ask a somewhat embarrassing question.I have been increasing my mileage and being a person that sweats a bit my ummm "nips" get irritated to the point that they bleed at times. I was wondering what you ladies do to help this situation? I have thought of using Ultraglide, Vaseline, or Band Aids but wanted an opinion from the experts.Any suggestions?Thanks,-Stan
My hubby always uses some type of body glide to prevent bloody nips. The problem with band aids is you have the potential of getting chaffed from them too. Try out some type of glide and i think you'll be much happier.
2013-02-15 4:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I am in the same boat as many, lacking in motivation/enthusiasm to get my training done. Well, mainly to get my running in. But, on a more fun note - I tried out my first TRX class! I haven't had my butt kicked like that in a long time. I've been sore for days! Hope everyone's training picks up in a positive way!
2013-02-16 5:41 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
It's been a challenging week here as well. I've just felt "off" all week. Nothing I can put my finger on, but I've had a hard time getting out the door.  It could be because the last two weeks have been crazy,both at work and at home. Just soooooo busy. I did get in 3 swims and 1 run this week. I keep trying to remind myself it's a long time till IM Louisville in August and I don't even start the training plan for that until April. Right now is supposed to be free form, play when I want, rest when I don't. So I just listened to my body this week and took it easy. I did sit down tonight and plan a 9 miler for tomorrow, but it's definitely gonna be a SLOWWWW run. I did get registered for the MachTenn Sprint and the Viola Valley Half Marathon, so there's some motivation!  Keep up all the good work Beasties! The winter doldrums won't last much longer!
2013-02-17 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4625154

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Yep, I've definitely seen some motivation/busy life issues amongst the logs, mine included!  Spring IS on the way, earlier for some of us though... here in Texas there are trees having the leaves come out already.  I m enjoying the chilly mornings for running and the warmer afternoons for riding and now I'm getting anxious for the lake to warm up so I can start getting in some OWS, although truthfully that won't be happening until at least April and probably with a wetsuit at first.  I am NOT looking forward to the summer heat for running, I seem to peak each year in running speed around April, then it really warms up and it becomes drudgery again...

Shad had it right... this is still base building time, getting back to training consistency, picking out your race schedule, working your weakness(es).  But listen to your body and if it's tired, back off a bit, do an easier workout, no sense in pushing yourself into getting sick or injured.  My training plan for my end of April OLY has begun and already the first week has been derailed a bit by my being sick.  I'm still not 100%, probably 85%, but we'll see how it goes when I swim this week and hopefully it won't bring me down! 

As the Spring warms up, don't be afraid to suit up and get out there to run and bike, cooler weather is invigorating and you might feel chilly at first, you WILL warm up.  For me the secret is keeping my hands/feet/ears warm.

Now go forth and TRAIN like you mean it, Beasties!!!

2013-02-17 7:10 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Didn't do the 9 miler I had planned today. I slept in till 8:30 and decided to go do a fun trail/road run with Brando,the trail dog extraordinaire. He had to go to the vet yesterday with a recurring yeast infection in his left ear, but he has NOT liked seeing me go out the door in my running gear without him. So we went to the trail and I let him set the pace,closely watching him to make sure he was OK. We wound up doing 4 miles; 3 mile trail, 1 mile road. When we got in the car, he laid his head on the console,eyes half closed and I swear he was SMILING! That is how running should always feel. He taught me something today. When you do something you love, simply for the love of it, it makes you smile!

2013-02-18 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4626061

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Dogs rock!

I have a basset named Mabel... she is like liquid dog when it's time to go to bed, you try to get her to stand up and move, and she just slides like a glob of mercury from her bed onto the floor, it's so pathetic!  She is NOT a running dog!!

2013-02-18 2:58 PM

Spring/Woodlands Area

Well, new week, so clean slate for training.

I got to the doctor today.  The good news is no visible break on the x-ray.  Slight possibility I could be working on a stress fracture, but I'm going to hope it's just soft tissue.  My plan is to stay off of it as much as possible this week.  Maybe try an easy trainer ride later in the week. Reassess this weekend for next week, but probably no running until March and then a very conservative run plan.  On the upside, this should let my neuroma heal up nicely.  

At least I'm far enough out that I can absorb this with no problem now.  Now the major challenge is to be smart about managing an injury - something I've never done well with.

Keep working hard everyone.

2013-02-18 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4627209

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I think we've all been there, Page.... an injury and NOT wanting to stop training for it even though we know that's the "smart" thing to do... be strong girl!!!
2013-02-19 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4626061

User image

Expert
Falls Church
shadow67 - 2013-02-17 7:10 PMDidn't do the 9 miler I had planned today. I slept in till 8:30 and decided to go do a fun trail/road run with Brando,the trail dog extraordinaire. He had to go to the vet yesterday with a recurring yeast infection in his left ear, but he has NOT liked seeing me go out the door in my running gear without him. So we went to the trail and I let him set the pace,closely watching him to make sure he was OK. We wound up doing 4 miles; 3 mile trail, 1 mile road. When we got in the car, he laid his head on the console,eyes half closed and I swear he was SMILING! That is how running should always feel. He taught me something today. When you do something you love, simply for the love of it, it makes you smile!
2013-02-19 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
LOVE the "run happy like the puppy" mantra; LOATHE the dealing with injury-fest! Big cheers to everyone as we deal with the depths of winter-- it's on its way out, right? Off to the East coast for the next week and a half-- first to visit my sis for a few days, then to participate in a couple of acting workshops in NYC, which I'm really looking forward to. Will log when I can, but rest assured that I'll be getting some workouts in-- picked my hotel in part because it has an "exercise room," whatever that means, and am taking my TRX with me, so no excuses! Core work while watching the Oscars, anyone? Hope all you brilliant Beasties have a great week!

2013-02-20 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good morning Beasties!

Page - hope rest does your injury some good.

I spent some quality time with my bike this weekend --- tune up type of time.  Made some adjustments to the derailleur, lubed the chain, and tightened up my rack so it didn't make so much noise.  Amazing how much quieter my commutes are!

I hope to get a short run in today.  Will be chilly and blustery but I am getting mentally prepared.

Does anyone have a favorite triathlete/fitness website they follow?  I'm looking for some new places to visit.

Have a great day everyone!

2013-02-20 8:04 AM

User image

Nothern VA
I've just discovered lovingfit.com. If you can get past the boobs in your face for the whole routine, she has some good workout routines for both strength and cardio. They're challenging, use litttle or no equipment, and last about 15 to 30 minutes. I added the cardio shock workout (doing half the reps) before a short run, and could barely walk the next day. She also suggests individual moves that you could cobble together to make your own strength workout. Plus, she includes videos of proper technique. Runners World and other runners mags and Livestrong also include short strength routines, but they seem to always post the same things.
2013-02-21 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4629727

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Dana_Scully - 2013-02-20 8:04 AM I've just discovered lovingfit.com. If you can get past the boobs in your face for the whole routine, she has some good workout routines for both strength and cardio. They're challenging, use litttle or no equipment, and last about 15 to 30 minutes. I added the cardio shock workout (doing half the reps) before a short run, and could barely walk the next day. She also suggests individual moves that you could cobble together to make your own strength workout. Plus, she includes videos of proper technique. Runners World and other runners mags and Livestrong also include short strength routines, but they seem to always post the same things.

Thanks!  I will have to give this a close look.  I'm always searching for new stuff.  Especially routines that use little equipment and focus on core strength.

2013-02-21 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey everyone!  Winter has made it's reappearance here today.  Right now it's sleeting/snowing and just generally ugly out.  Before it's all done we're supposed to have up to 5" of snow plus the sleet/ice.  School was closed today although I already had the day off anyway - took a couple of vacation days and now I'm stuck in the houseUndecided.  I'm going to try to make the most of it though - getting caught up on some home stuff.  Got a good swim in yesterday and talked to the gym about getting some swim lessons.  Just waiting for one of the instructors to give me a call so we can set things up.  Yoga class for tonight has been canceled but I have a couple of yoga DVD's so I'll probably just use one of those today.  I may also get in a short trainer ride - we'll see how the day goes.

I hope everyone's having a good week and anyone else in the path of this storm - stay safe!
Janet

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17