BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-03-12 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4656504

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED
TriAya - 2013-03-12 11:02 AM
jmkizer - 2013-03-12 11:23 PM

While I was riding over the weekend, I was thinking about my nutrition plan for the Gator Half.  I wanted to check in with both TJ and Jonathan TX to make sure that they have this covered for their upcoming HIMs.

What liquids will you have on your bike?  I use an aerodrink bottle.  I'll also have a disposable water in my cage.  (I'm a water + electolyte kinda gal.  Gatorade type drinks do not agree with me.)

water bottle

Will you be carrying any nutrition?  What will you be carrying?  Will you have it in your pockets or bento box or ??? 

What is your nutrition plan/frequency?  Hydration?

These are really important points. Someone remind me to cut the tops off the gels BEFORE the race next time ...

I keep a pair of child safe scissors with my race gear. I'd also suggest duct tape in case your race number will not stick to your bike.

scissors

What she said, snip a starter on your gels and bars so that you can easily rip them open while on the move.

2013-03-12 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4656409

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jmkizer - 2013-03-12 8:23 AM

While I was riding over the weekend, I was thinking about my nutrition plan for the Gator Half.  I wanted to check in with both TJ and Jonathan TX to make sure that they have this covered for their upcoming HIMs.

What liquids will you have on your bike?  I use an aerodrink bottle.  I'll also have a disposable water in my cage.  (I'm a water + electolyte kinda gal.  Gatorade type drinks do not agree with me.)

Will you be carrying any nutrition?  What will you be carrying?  Will you have it in your pockets or bento box or ??? 

I'm glad you asked about this. First, my plan is to start with water and Perform in my aero bottles (see pic, it's big and has two compartments) and to have 4 waffles, cut in half, on the bike. I don't have my drinking on a set schedule. I do the waffles every 25 minutes with a gel on the hour. The waffles fit fine in my front bento box. I'm contemplating whether to carry my own gels in my pocket, put them in the back bento, or get them off the course. I plan to get water/Perform refills off the course but that brings me to one of my questions. Should I leave my bottle cage empty for empty bottles? I usually have my camelbak thermal bottle in there but I might need the space for empties?

On the run I plan to use a gel about every 45 minutes, as I pass aid stations. I'm also wondering about the coke on the run course. Someone on the Perform thread in TT mentioned that the coke is a better option than the Perform. I've never tried to run with it. Is it flat coke? Fizzy doesn't sound like a good idea.

2013-03-12 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4656517

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jmkizer - 2013-03-12 9:06 AM

water bottle

These are really important points. Someone remind me to cut the tops off the gels BEFORE the race next time ...

I keep a pair of child safe scissors with my race gear. I'd also suggest duct tape in case your race number will not stick to your bike.

scissors

What she said, snip a starter on your gels and bars so that you can easily rip them open while on the move.

I cut my waffles in half and put them in a baggie. Thought about taping gels to the bike but haven't practiced it yet.

2013-03-12 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4656531

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
rrrunner - 2013-03-12 11:11 AM

I'm glad you asked about this. First, my plan is to start with water and Perform in my aero bottles (see pic, it's big and has two compartments) and to have 4 waffles, cut in half, on the bike. I don't have my drinking on a set schedule. I do the waffles every 25 minutes with a gel on the hour. The waffles fit fine in my front bento box. I'm contemplating whether to carry my own gels in my pocket, put them in the back bento, or get them off the course. I plan to get water/Perform refills off the course but that brings me to one of my questions. Should I leave my bottle cage empty for empty bottles? I usually have my camelbak thermal bottle in there but I might need the space for empties?

When will you have your first nutrition?  You'll get out of the water and run to transition.  Do whatever you need to do and get on the bike and then...  Once your hear rate has settled down and you are a mile or two into the bike, kinda getting into the grove you will ???  And when is your last nutrition?  x miles from T2?  x minutes from T2?

What I do is have fluids in my aerodrink and in my cage.  I finish the aerodrink before the first bottle exchange and refill it with the fluids that I am carrying.  I dump the empty at the beginning of the bottle exchange and get a replacement.  This ensures that if I miss an exchange, I am not without fluids. 

On the run I plan to use a gel about every 45 minutes, as I pass aid stations. I'm also wondering about the coke on the run course. Someone on the Perform thread in TT mentioned that the coke is a better option than the Perform. I've never tried to run with it. Is it flat coke? Fizzy doesn't sound like a good idea.

You'll have to ask if the cola is flat.  When I did B2B it was flat.  When I did Vineman, it was not. 

I'm glad that you have a plan.  It certainly sounds workable.  For me, it would be easier to do the run nutrition based on miles (every 4 miles or every 5 miles, etc.) since the course and aid stations are laid out that way.  Besides, by the run, I may be tri math impaired.

Similar question as for the bike above.  When does your 45 minute clock start?  You will exit T2 and have your first gel at the first aid station?  Second aid station? 

(and yes, these are rhetorical questions)

2013-03-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4656539

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
rrrunner - 2013-03-12 11:15 AM
jmkizer - 2013-03-12 9:06 AM

water bottle

scissors

I cut my waffles in half and put them in a baggie. Thought about taping gels to the bike but haven't practiced it yet.

I've seen that but they'd get in my way for sure.

2013-03-12 10:44 AM
in reply to: #4656575

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
jmkizer - 2013-03-12 9:31 AM

When will you have your first nutrition?  You'll get out of the water and run to transition.  Do whatever you need to do and get on the bike and then...  Once your hear rate has settled down and you are a mile or two into the bike, kinda getting into the grove you will ???  And when is your last nutrition?  x miles from T2?  x minutes from T2?

What I do is have fluids in my aerodrink and in my cage.  I finish the aerodrink before the first bottle exchange and refill it with the fluids that I am carrying.  I dump the empty at the beginning of the bottle exchange and get a replacement.  This ensures that if I miss an exchange, I am not without fluids. 

You'll have to ask if the cola is flat.  When I did B2B it was flat.  When I did Vineman, it was not. 

I'm glad that you have a plan.  It certainly sounds workable.  For me, it would be easier to do the run nutrition based on miles (every 4 miles or every 5 miles, etc.) since the course and aid stations are laid out that way.  Besides, by the run, I may be tri math impaired.

Similar question as for the bike above.  When does your 45 minute clock start?  You will exit T2 and have your first gel at the first aid station?  Second aid station? 

Hmmmm. When I do a standalone ride I do the first half waffle once i'm in a groove. At the race that probably means out of T1 and past the beginning bike congestion. Hadn't thought about the last waffle and how that will spell out for my run. Need to think about that. I've never tried a disposable water bottle in my cage. Do they hold ok? Since I'm eating off the course on the run my time will be an estimate and I'll just grab from the next aid stop. When I did my HM I made it to mile 5 before I slowed down for a gel. I don't want to stray from the plan at Oceanside, though, because I don't want to run out of energy, which seems to be a problem for me lately.

Edited by rrrunner 2013-03-12 10:44 AM

2013-03-12 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4656599

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
rrrunner - 2013-03-12 11:44 AM
jmkizer - 2013-03-12 9:31 AM

Hmmmm. When I do a standalone ride I do the first half waffle once i'm in a groove. At the race that probably means out of T1 and past the beginning bike congestion. Hadn't thought about the last waffle and how that will spell out for my run. Need to think about that. I've never tried a disposable water bottle in my cage. Do they hold ok? Since I'm eating off the course on the run my time will be an estimate and I'll just grab from the next aid stop. When I did my HM I made it to mile 5 before I slowed down for a gel. I don't want to stray from the plan at Oceanside, though, because I don't want to run out of energy, which seems to be a problem for me lately.

I have not had problems on either bike but you should do what you are comfortable with.  I'm just offering what has worked for me.

You will have plenty of energy on race day!  Trust the plan!  Taper + adrenaline will be your friends :-)  Seriously, plan your nutrition like you will have the energy that you did last month but do think about the time between last calories on the bike and first gel on the run.  

2013-03-12 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Maybe I missed this earlier, but I just watched Macca's vid on YouTube about the kit winner, and it's Jo!  
2013-03-12 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4655721

User image

Pennsylvania

amd723 - 2013-03-11 6:55 PM Gotta tell a story on myself. I taught this afternoon at the local college. Before heading out I stopped by my house for lunch. As I was on the interstate heading to the school I realized I was wearing flip flops! Completely forgot to put my real shoes back on and then didn't have time to go back home to make the switch. So I taught wearing a suit and flip flops . I think I totally rocked that look and may try it for my next court appearance

I snorted out loud!  Way to rock the flops, girl!

2013-03-12 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4656640

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 10:07 AM Maybe I missed this earlier, but I just watched Macca's vid on YouTube about the kit winner, and it's Jo!  

Yeah... Jo is hoping it will be delivered with Macca in it Laughing

2013-03-12 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4656640

User image

Seattle

ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 11:07 AM Maybe I missed this earlier, but I just watched Macca's vid on YouTube about the kit winner, and it's Jo!  

So, are you going to Chicago?

2013-03-12 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4656662

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 12:23 PM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 11:07 AM Maybe I missed this earlier, but I just watched Macca's vid on YouTube about the kit winner, and it's Jo!  

Yeah, I'm going to do Chicago.  I'm very freaked out at the thought of a marathon at the moment, but I'll do it.  A HIM seems less daunting in my mind than a marathon.  Feels very much like jumping off of a cliff.

2013-03-12 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4656659

User image

Veteran
Dayton
rrrunner - 2013-03-12 12:22 PM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 10:07 AM Maybe I missed this earlier, but I just watched Macca's vid on YouTube about the kit winner, and it's Jo!  

Yeah... Jo is hoping it will be delivered with Macca in it Laughing

Oh, that's what that was about.  This is what I get for skimming.

2013-03-12 11:46 AM
in reply to: #4656317

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 9:37 AM
jogo - 2013-03-12 7:00 AM
ponderingfox - 2013-03-11 10:19 PM
4agoodlife - 2013-03-11 10:04 PM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-11 6:33 PM I find out about Chicago tomorrow.  Then if I make the lottery I have until Thursday to respond to it.

Think it will take you that long to push the YES! button?Laughing Or is there more pondering for the fox to do?

I'm just worried about how much the travel/lodging/etc will cost.  Really gotta watch the budget.  But it is one of the top five marathons in the world.  So I want to see how many of my friends get in that I can share a hotel room with.

Did you make it in?   I did not.      

I did make it in, and so did some of my friends.  

Too bad we didn't get a chance to run together. Though Troy isn't that far away.  Hey, we could race the Hawk Island Tri sprint in Lansing!

Congrats! Chicago is a great race. I dnf'd it in 2010 but got to experience 18 miles before that.I love Hawk. I lost my tri virginity there. I may be out spectating. I am probably going to Dayton for a grad party over Memorial Day. Are there any good camping sites in the area?
2013-03-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4656687

User image

Seattle
ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 11:42 AM

Yeah, I'm going to do Chicago.  I'm very freaked out at the thought of a marathon at the moment, but I'll do it.  A HIM seems less daunting in my mind than a marathon.  Feels very much like jumping off of a cliff.

Well, I think a HIM is less daunting Smile

It's alright though,  you have plenty of time to prepare. And what a great marathon! Definitely on my list!

2013-03-12 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4656697

User image

Veteran
Dayton
jogo - 2013-03-12 12:46 PM
ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 9:37 AM
jogo - 2013-03-12 7:00 AM
ponderingfox - 2013-03-11 10:19 PM
4agoodlife - 2013-03-11 10:04 PM

ponderingfox - 2013-03-11 6:33 PM I find out about Chicago tomorrow.  Then if I make the lottery I have until Thursday to respond to it.

Think it will take you that long to push the YES! button?Laughing Or is there more pondering for the fox to do?

I'm just worried about how much the travel/lodging/etc will cost.  Really gotta watch the budget.  But it is one of the top five marathons in the world.  So I want to see how many of my friends get in that I can share a hotel room with.

Did you make it in?   I did not.      

I did make it in, and so did some of my friends.  

Too bad we didn't get a chance to run together. Though Troy isn't that far away.  Hey, we could race the Hawk Island Tri sprint in Lansing!

Congrats! Chicago is a great race. I dnf'd it in 2010 but got to experience 18 miles before that.I love Hawk. I lost my tri virginity there. I may be out spectating. I am probably going to Dayton for a grad party over Memorial Day. Are there any good camping sites in the area?

Do you have any recommendations on lodging/parking for Chicago?

I'll be doing Hawk-i with a bunch of friends (10+, surely) as part of Team Revolution.  It'll be a good time.  First time for me.

As for camping, I'd recommend Caesar's Creek State Park.  It has a great body of water (lots of tris there, naturally), and a good amount of trails.  I've never camped there, but it's where I would go.  There are others in the area as well.

2013-03-12 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4656700

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 12:48 PM
ponderingfox - 2013-03-12 11:42 AM

Well, I think a HIM is less daunting Smile

It's alright though,  you have plenty of time to prepare. And what a great marathon! Definitely on my list!

I knooooooow.  A marathon is unavoidably on my life to-do list.  It'll be a lot of fun to do such a big event.  (Once my heart rate comes down from being super nervous at the start).

2013-03-12 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Sorry to interject here, but I am curious: Is anyone else having major issues keeping awake since daylight savings hit? I have never had so much trouble from it...I am just barely able to keep awake!
2013-03-12 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Sorry to interject here, but I am curious: Is anyone else having major issues keeping awake since daylight savings hit? I have never had so much trouble from it...I am just barely able to keep awake!
2013-03-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4656771

User image

Seattle

kgore - 2013-03-12 12:26 PM Sorry to interject here, but I am curious: Is anyone else having major issues keeping awake since daylight savings hit? I have never had so much trouble from it...I am just barely able to keep awake!

I actually eased into it really well. Except I will be traveling (which is 2 hours ahead) and then coming back so that might be a little strange on top of the current change. 

2013-03-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4656772

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

kgore - 2013-03-12 11:26 AM Sorry to interject here, but I am curious: Is anyone else having major issues keeping awake since daylight savings hit? I have never had so much trouble from it...I am just barely able to keep awake!

I expected to have trouble battling the rack monster to get up for my training, but so far I've done okay. The evenings are weird, though. I have to get used to it being light longer and not think I can cram more in to the evenings.

2013-03-12 1:33 PM

User image

Seattle

While we are on the fueling topic, I am considering just drinking water/taking gels in Boston. If I skip the sports drink I think at most it will be like 10 calories (and like 1g of carbs) per station x 26, so 260 calories (and that is a high estimate) and 26g of carbs. And that is assuming I took it at every station. I feel like IF it were an issue, I could just take an additional gel or two.

Does anyone see any flaws in my thoughts?

I did the HM with only water and 2 gels and it was no problem at all. 

2013-03-12 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4656888

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 12:33 PM

While we are on the fueling topic, I am considering just drinking water/taking gels in Boston. If I skip the sports drink I think at most it will be like 10 calories (and like 1g of carbs) per station x 26, so 260 calories (and that is a high estimate) and 26g of carbs. And that is assuming I took it at every station. I feel like IF it were an issue, I could just take an additional gel or two.

Since you are likely NOT going to hit every aid station I think you are def better off with gels. Seemed to do well with that plan at your HM.

2013-03-12 1:39 PM
in reply to: #4656888

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 2:33 PM

I would gel ever x miles.  You have a lot more control that way given that you have no idea how they are going to mix the sports drink (as directed?  too much water so weak?).  Besides, you know that it just worked for you. ;-)

2013-03-12 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4656901

User image

Seattle
jmkizer - 2013-03-12 1:39 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-12 2:33 PM

I would gel ever x miles.  You have a lot more control that way given that you have no idea how they are going to mix the sports drink (as directed?  too much water so weak?).  Besides, you know that it just worked for you. ;-)

Yeah, that too. Mainly it's because it tastes like garbage though. Smile Oh, and avoiding sticky hands.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85