in reply to: gdale

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by gdale
Originally posted by SSMinnow
Originally posted by dcon

I'm curious.   Does anyone use tubulars?   If so, can you provide some insights into how difficult it is to deal with a flat?

Yes and No.  Having ridden the bike only once no experience with the flat,  yet.  I bought pit stop to go along with mine which is not only air, but a sealant which is supposedly able to close the hold assuiming it isn't some enormous gash in the side wall.  I was very reluctant to go this route and only did so because of the limited availability of good 650 wheels.

Suzy...I can give you the wheels off one of my kid's bikes if you need some small wheels.  They are clinchers!!

Cute.  I could have just taken the cheap wheels off the GURU, but how would that have looked with the new hot bike?  Of course, had I done that I wouldn't have four healing ribs or a torn long bicep head!

2013-05-28 10:54 PM
in reply to: Milslukern

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Originally posted by Milslukern

Name: Milslukern / Andreas Haukaas

Story: Based in Norway. Used to be a very active athlete in tennis and golf. Since 2006 gone through 4 herniated disc´s. A lot of suffering and frustration as I could not exercise the way I used to. Went through operation two years ago and have now started training regularly again for the last three months. What a relief when I discovered that my back can tolerate running and cycling again without any significant pain the next day. Knock on wood.

Training: Been following Joe Friel´s training program for Sprint Triathlon. I train every day (some days two sessions) mostly early morning sessions. Have no background from swimming, cycling or running.

Goals: Will do a sprint triathlon in Aug this summer. Then Ironman 70.3 here in Norway in July 2014 and full Ironman Kalmar, Sweden in 2015.
In between, will do some longer bicycle competitions, half marathons as well as sprint triathlons. Ultimate goal is the Norseman, if I´m lucky enough to get into that race.

Anyway, I though it might be a good idea to join this forum as I train alone and being new to this wonderful sport.

I upload my training sessions every day. Would be valuable to get some feedback on my training progress as now I just make notes to myself of how I "feel".

Andreas

Andreas,

Welcome to the group. What does "based" in Norway mean? Just curious because all of my maternal ancestors immigrated from Norway in the mid-1800s. I was able to visit back in 2005 with my kids. Beautiful country. My ancestors on my dad's side were Swiss-German pacifists. Between them and the Vikings on my mom's side, I'm totally conflicted. I'm nice to a point, but don't push my too far. LOL

Figured I'd better chime in, so you all know I'm still alive. Tomorrow is my last day with students and then the fun begins :-) The fun being 4 days in DC with 50 8th graders. My training is going to start soon....I promise :-)
2013-05-28 11:01 PM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

WOO HOO 

I finally figured it out. Thanks Dan!

Laughing Now I can go to sleep Laughing

2013-05-28 11:33 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Originally posted by jfought

WOO HOO 

With your Viking helmet on!!

2013-05-29 7:58 AM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Veteran
Naples
Andreas, welcome

Had final race 'tune up' before this weekend's sprint tri in Naples.
Felt really good.

15 min run
15 min bike
15 min swim

Beacuse this weekend's race is reversed I did them in reverse order. It's kind of fun and definetly is a welcome change. Remainder of this week is easy race taper.

Hope your training is going well and all is good.
2013-05-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Did I miss the Weds. race check in? I am finally doing a race!!!!

2013-05-29 9:51 AM
in reply to: sdalessio

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
nope they have not posted it yet.
2013-05-29 9:58 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Last day with students for me.  Just got a free minute...sorry for the delay.

Sam's racing this weekend!!  Who else is ready to represent?  

Speaking of crushing it, what's your advice for improving your speed in any of the three disciplines?  What do you do, or what questions do you have?

2013-05-29 10:06 AM

User image

Expert

Speaking of crushing it, what's your advice for improving your speed in any of the three disciplines?  What do you do, or what questions do you have?

Just keeping you on your toes! Yes, I am racing in MD this Saturday at Rock Hall. I've never been up in that area but it is supposed to be flat which should be similiar to my Half in June.

I think intervals at a pace faster than your race pace at any discipline build speed but tempo workouts help your body learn to maintain your race pace over a long duration. One thing I have learned over the years is practice the pace you want to race at. It wouldn't magically appear on race day and so many plans down play that importance. I think they tend to help people get to a race healthy and able to complete the distance. And in the beginning that is a great goal but if you want to take to the next step you have to push the pace when training. Still haven't been able to complete the Suzy Shain School of Training by running til I barf but I'm also not as fast or tough as Suzy. ;-)
2013-05-29 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

I am doing a MTB(mountain biking) TT tomorrow. This will be my first ever MTB race. Doing this for an excuse to us my 1200 rarely ridden MTB Good luck racers. I played softball yesterday and very little pain today. I am going to do a short run after work and see how it goes. I think I will be fine almost 2 weeks.

As far as speed not there yet. I do think speed and tempo runs would help.

2013-05-29 11:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
san francisco
Originally posted by dcon

WOO HOO

With your Viking helmet on!!

I guess I need a Viking helmet, I cannot see the edit settings when I hover! Good luck to Rob and Sam on your races! I agree with Sam on the speed stuff, but of course, everything comes with a price, so be careful out there my friends! I have just started to re-introduce a little pace work into my running and even though I have felt good afterwards, there is a twinge of stiffness in my feet the next morning...good or not, both feet? I don't feel like I need to push my luck, so I am going to keep it easy and train the bike a bit harder....and oh yes, swim! Trevor, how was your pool tri???

Eta: good luck on the bike race, Mike!

Edited by kt65 2013-05-29 11:31 AM

2013-05-29 11:47 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mbehr1983

I am doing a MTB(mountain biking) TT tomorrow. This will be my first ever MTB race. Doing this for an excuse to us my 1200 rarely ridden MTB Good luck racers. I played softball yesterday and very little pain today. I am going to do a short run after work and see how it goes. I think I will be fine almost 2 weeks.

Good luck with that MTB race. MB's scare me!!!! Tony is doing a MTB relay race with his bike team this weekend as well. More power to both of you. And good luck Rob!!! Sounds like a fun race. If it is as warm in AL as it is here then getting in the pool at the end will feel great.
2013-05-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran

No racing this weekend ...good luck Sam, Mike and Rob and all your others that are going to kill it !!

Speed training for running includes, skipping, and one legged jump drills, 40 yard stride sprints, and speed intervals. On the bike one legged spin, and speed intervals. Swimming is all about form and technique for me, but also throw in some speed skills and sprints....when I swim, which has no been very often lately.

I am having a lot of tightness when I start out on my runs lately in my right heel, it goes away after about the first 1/4 mile. Then my right achilles starts getting tight and my foot starts to go numb after about mile two. I do stop and stretch and that helps. Any suggestions out there on stretching before after and during?

Edited by bfwhitt 2013-05-29 11:55 AM
2013-05-29 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

It is definately getting warm here. The pool sounds likea good ideal.

2013-05-29 1:20 PM
in reply to: bfwhitt

User image

Elite
san francisco
Originally posted by bfwhitt

No racing this weekend ...good luck Sam, Mike and Rob and all your others that are going to kill it !!

Speed training for running includes, skipping, and one legged jump drills, 40 yard stride sprints, and speed intervals. On the bike one legged spin, and speed intervals. Swimming is all about form and technique for me, but also throw in some speed skills and sprints....when I swim, which has no been very often lately.

I am having a lot of tightness when I start out on my runs lately in my right heel, it goes away after about the first 1/4 mile. Then my right achilles starts getting tight and my foot starts to go numb after about mile two. I do stop and stretch and that helps. Any suggestions out there on stretching before after and during?

Bruce, do you use the foam roller or any kind of trigger point? Rolling my calves and the dreaded IT band roll seems to keep my heel issues at bay...I've not had achilles problems but foot numbness doesn't sound good, are your shoelaces comfortable???

I started rolling the bottom of my foot(feet) on a lacrosse ball prior to running and also post running (at the advice of a PT/body work therapist).

If you guys have not tried skipping rope while running, try it! It is great to get you into that POSE/CHI form of slight lean and quick turnover...
2013-05-29 2:55 PM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Skipping rope WHILE Running?!?  I'm just trying to get the BREATHING while RUNNING skill set in place.  Jeez.  Way to pop my bubble.

Kim - Tunitas on Saturday. Come play with us!!

2013-05-29 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by sdalessio

Just keeping you on your toes! Yes, I am racing in MD this Saturday at Rock Hall. I've never been up in that area but it is supposed to be flat which should be similiar to my Half in June. I think intervals at a pace faster than your race pace at any discipline build speed but tempo workouts help your body learn to maintain your race pace over a long duration. One thing I have learned over the years is practice the pace you want to race at. It wouldn't magically appear on race day and so many plans down play that importance. I think they tend to help people get to a race healthy and able to complete the distance. And in the beginning that is a great goal but if you want to take to the next step you have to push the pace when training. Still haven't been able to complete the Suzy Shain School of Training by running til I barf but I'm also not as fast or tough as Suzy. ;-)

Thanks for the compliment! A very proficient runner and IM'er gave me that advice when I very first started out and I thought he was nuts.  

Sam, you've got this one. You have trained very hard for this race and kept your nose to the grindstone.  Own it!

2013-05-29 5:57 PM

User image

Champion

No racing for me although I was supposed to be.  Too risky with the healing body.  Phooey.  It was only an Oly, but still.

I agree with much of what has been said.  You definitely have to run faster to get faster AND be able to hold a race pace on the flats in normal conditions. I do a lot of HIITS in the dead of winter too.   One thing that has really helped me in the process is walking.  wait, what? walking?  yep.  Most of my runs include 10-20' of walking inserted throughout the run.  It allows me to go faster on the intervals and it prevents body breakdown and injury. 

For example today's run:

Warm-Up (5' walking, 7' ez run, 5' build to pace, 10' drills, 4 strides 12"/35" walk)

Main Set (3x1.5m at pace, 4' walk, 1' drill)

Cool Down (5' walk,  5' ez, 5' walk)

For biking HIITS, threshold rides and low RPM Z3 rides have helped me get faster.  Not as fast as running, but I am a relative newbie to cycling.

Swimming--no advice to give. NONE.

2013-05-29 6:58 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Well I got out on the bike for a quick 7 miles and then ran 2 after. I know it is not a lot but want to check to see how I would hold up. As of now so far so good. I think I am back to the training. Tomorrow will only tell
2013-05-29 9:48 PM

User image

New user
I am doing a Century this weekend, no race, just getting distance in. Had a breakthrough in swimming... Some guy was watching me swim at the gym, mentioned that I looked like I was doing catch up drill, I said "no, just the way I swim". Said he sees a hesitation before the pull and looked like my whole body almost stopped and started to sink. I said Thanks...and finished my workout. Came back today and thought about what he said, worked on pulling sooner, knocked 8 seconds off my 100 time, (granted, still slow, but 8 seconds is huge!) My thoughts on getting quicker, besides drills, maybe listen to what others say, their advice may be helpful, maybe not, but might make you think about things you never noticed before..
2013-05-29 10:04 PM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hi. Been away on a course for 2 days so no BT check in time.
Sprint was fine....but funny story?

So I had a 310. screen was cracked. But decided to wear it anyone in the water. Saw my swim time, which was decent as I haven't swam at all.
Got out to the bike, and the screen was completely fogged over/under. So I did the bike and run without technology. Which, I've never really done.
I ran HARD. When I saw the results, I saw my run was 28:30. I was totally disappointed, as I thought I had ran wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than that. People were all talking about how long the run was. It was advertised at 5.2k, but mayby had 5.6-5.8k. So that made me feel a lot better about the run. Closer to 25 min/5k which was what I thought/hoped. so my lesson is if you go without technology, its best to know the exact distance.

Best part was I ordered a 910 for $100 off on Monday.

2013-05-30 12:02 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Master
Originally posted by TrevorCHi. Been away on a course for 2 days so no BT check in time.Sprint was fine....but funny story? So I had a 310. screen was cracked. But decided to wear it anyone in the water. Saw my swim time, which was decent as I haven't swam at all.Got out to the bike, and the screen was completely fogged over/under. So I did the bike and run without technology. Which, I've never really done.I ran HARD. When I saw the results, I saw my run was 28:30. I was totally disappointed, as I thought I had ran wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster than that. People were all talking about how long the run was. It was advertised at 5.2k, but mayby had 5.6-5.8k. So that made me feel a lot better about the run. Closer to 25 min/5k which was what I thought/hoped. so my lesson is if you go without technology, its best to know the exact distance.Best part was I ordered a 910 for $100 off on Monday.
Good for you!!! So awesome!! I ran with RP's 910 on Friday when my 310 wasn't locating satellites fast enough and we were ready to run (and I was going for a Strava CR so needed the watch). Loved the 910 so much that Dave bought me one for our anniversary and I gave him my old 310... He found this all out this morning when I opened the 910 box. Loving it so far! Might even swim with it!!!
2013-05-30 7:01 AM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

No racing here.    My experience on improving speed is fairly limited.  I think my gains so far are really based on training consistency.  Beginners do get faster for quite a while without doing speed work.  (But I'm thinking it is time for me to add some speed work).

2013-05-30 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples
Originally posted by sdalessio

Originally posted by mbehr1983

Good luck with that MTB race. MB's scare me!!!! Tony is doing a MTB relay race with his bike team this weekend as well. More power to both of you. And good luck Rob!!! Sounds like a fun race. If it is as warm in AL as it is here then getting in the pool at the end will feel great.

Good luck on the Mountain Biking TT have fun with it. Here in Southwest Florida we have no moutains or hills, so no mountain biking lots of flat paved roads though

We r swimming in Gulf of Mexico water is like bath water, last week I swam in Gulf saw 4 giant Manta Rays (about 4 feet across) in water. Week before that I was stung by jellyfish

2013-05-30 7:47 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Veteran
Naples
Originally posted by velcromom

Skipping rope WHILE Running?!?  I'm just trying to get the BREATHING while RUNNING skill set in place.  Jeez.  Way to pop my bubble

I'm with you its hard enough to just run and breath!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44