Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 41

2013-06-29 5:27 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
10 mile run today with a double jogging stroller and 70 lbs worth of kids and gear, 91 degrees when I finished. Brutal.  Couldn't even take a cold shower because the pipes are so hot the water just doesn't cool down.

2013-06-29 8:29 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

What was your nutrition like? I assume at least that you didn't take anything in during the swim? That's a lot of swimming with no calories in especially if you are not used to it, so you're already going into the bike at a deficit. Your HIM swim will be much shorter of course, and that change trickles down to affect everything. Also, not that you should count on this, but don't necessarily discount the competition effect. I find a 3 hour workout to be much more draining mentally at least than a 3 hour race. Even on a normal ride I'll want to stop and then I'll see someone a bit ahead of me and until they're well behind me I feel like I just started.

I'm better with nutrition now than I used to be. I had oatmeal for breakfast about an hour before the swim then just before the swim I had a Clif Bar and some perpetuem. Then when I came out of the water I had a HS waffle and more perpetuem. On the bike I carried two more bottles of perpetuem another waffle and some Chomps. Off the bike I had something more to eat (waffle?) more Perpetuem and headed out on the run. During the run I only had some perpetuem at our "transition" and after I finished the run I had a banana, more perpetuem and a recoverite that really went down well. Calorie wise I didn't keep exact count but I'm sure I was over 1900cal for the time I was working out. I realized yesterday that I should have had some pure water to drink in addition to the Perpetuem because I found that just the perpetuem didn't quench my thirst fully.

If there is something more I should be doing I'm keen to learn.

I usually add Nuun, for electrolytes, to my perpetuem but I didn't yesterday. I'll not forget again especially if it is hot like yesterday.

I didn't consider the shorter swim being easier on me so I hope it will help some. I am aware of the "competition effect" but I just didn't know how much I could benefit from it. When I've run in my Sprints I try to catch up to people or if I hear someone coming up behind me I try to speed up to stay ahead as long as possible and then once they do pass me I try to keep up with them for as long as possible. It does help to keep me going. I think last year I found that in a cycling event I was approx. 10% faster than just going out for a ride. I sure hope the competition will help me enough to keep me on or under 7hrs.
2013-06-29 8:49 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by ransick

Originally posted by wenceslaszI should've stopped there but I then went for a 2:15 bike ride and a 1:15 run. I had a decent ride and I was somewhat able to run but when I apply my paces to my up coming HIM and it looks like I'm looking at almost 8hrs with lots of walking rather than running. In fairness to me it was very hot (35C/95F) and no shade anywhere so I really hope our race day will be cooler with lots of shade.I was really tired by the time I finished which is a bit of a concern because it was only 5hrs today. I'm not sure about another 3 hours on race day. I also experienced some mild cramping in the last 30 minutes or so of the run. I'm not sure if I ate too much or what was wrong.
What was your nutrition like? I assume at least that you didn't take anything in during the swim? That's a lot of swimming with no calories in especially if you are not used to it, so you're already going into the bike at a deficit. Your HIM swim will be much shorter of course, and that change trickles down to affect everything. Also, not that you should count on this, but don't necessarily discount the competition effect. I find a 3 hour workout to be much more draining mentally at least than a 3 hour race. Even on a normal ride I'll want to stop and then I'll see someone a bit ahead of me and until they're well behind me I feel like I just started.

I was going to say the say thing as Joe regarding the competition speeding things up. I find that true specially on the bike where I can catch people. Not so much on the run.

95 degrees is brutal for running. A mile into my last HIM it was brutally hot and I made the decision right there that I was going to have fun instead of hurting myself and possibly ending up in the med tent trying to hit my goal time. I had a blast. Ran when I could, walked when I needed to, high fives kids, chatted with spectators, encouraged other racers, etc. put ice in my shirt and shorts at every aid station trying to stay cool. Some spectators said I looked great and I asked them if I was winning. We all got a good chuckle :-)

Like joe, I'm curious what you did for nutrition. If it is going to be hot you might consider supplementing your nutrition with electrolyte capsules.

I do hope there will be some good competition effect to pull me along faster than I can normally go.
When I was running in the heat the worst part aside from the complete lack of shade was how hot my feet were. I swear it felt like heat from the asphalt radiating through my runners. In the last couple km my only thought was I was going straight into the lake as soon as I finished (I just whipped off my shirt, shoes and socks).

I love trying to calculate my race times but I also know that once the race starts there are too many variables so all my calculations are irrelevant. No matter what I do or plan my main goal is to have fun and I love interacting with people on the course as you did. I especially like to encourage people who are struggling.

I really appreciate the encouragement. I was feeling a bit unprepared after yesterday.
2013-06-29 8:56 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz I'm better with nutrition now than I used to be. I had oatmeal for breakfast about an hour before the swim then just before the swim I had a Clif Bar and some perpetuem. Then when I came out of the water I had a HS waffle and more perpetuem. On the bike I carried two more bottles of perpetuem another waffle and some Chomps. Off the bike I had something more to eat (waffle?) more Perpetuem and headed out on the run. During the run I only had some perpetuem at our "transition" and after I finished the run I had a banana, more perpetuem and a recoverite that really went down well. Calorie wise I didn't keep exact count but I'm sure I was over 1900cal for the time I was working out. I realized yesterday that I should have had some pure water to drink in addition to the Perpetuem because I found that just the perpetuem didn't quench my thirst fully. If there is something more I should be doing I'm keen to learn. I usually add Nuun, for electrolytes, to my perpetuem but I didn't yesterday. I'll not forget again especially if it is hot like yesterday. I didn't consider the shorter swim being easier on me so I hope it will help some. I am aware of the "competition effect" but I just didn't know how much I could benefit from it. When I've run in my Sprints I try to catch up to people or if I hear someone coming up behind me I try to speed up to stay ahead as long as possible and then once they do pass me I try to keep up with them for as long as possible. It does help to keep me going. I think last year I found that in a cycling event I was approx. 10% faster than just going out for a ride. I sure hope the competition will help me enough to keep me on or under 7hrs.
Have you experimented with your breakfast a little more?  Something with some fat and protein, like peanut butter?

Also, 1900 is a lot of calories for a 5 hour workout, isn't it?  Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in on this?  But I know that over "eating" is one thing that can lead to cramps.  I know I've mentioned it before, and I swear I'm not getting paid to advertise for them, but have you tried Skratch?  I am sold on it.  Couldn't take the Nuun.

2013-06-29 9:13 PM
in reply to: TomsTri-ing

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by TomsTri-ing

WOW, everyone is doing a great job. I've been trying to keep up, and its been tough. I'm trying to stay motivated to do my sprint in 3 weeks. Today I did my longest bike ride of the season, 23 miles. I keep thinking I should be further along than this, but this new job is stressing me out. The training helps, and that is my motivation for now. I'm not even interested in signing up for any other races this year.

If I get through the swim, 750 meters, I'll be ok for the rest of the race. My swimming is still not great.

Tom

Congrats on your longest ride yet! I hear ya on the job stress. I haven't signed up for any races this year because of it.
2013-06-29 9:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Originally posted by wenceslasz I'm better with nutrition now than I used to be. I had oatmeal for breakfast about an hour before the swim then just before the swim I had a Clif Bar and some perpetuem. Then when I came out of the water I had a HS waffle and more perpetuem. On the bike I carried two more bottles of perpetuem another waffle and some Chomps. Off the bike I had something more to eat (waffle?) more Perpetuem and headed out on the run. During the run I only had some perpetuem at our "transition" and after I finished the run I had a banana, more perpetuem and a recoverite that really went down well. Calorie wise I didn't keep exact count but I'm sure I was over 1900cal for the time I was working out. I realized yesterday that I should have had some pure water to drink in addition to the Perpetuem because I found that just the perpetuem didn't quench my thirst fully. If there is something more I should be doing I'm keen to learn. I usually add Nuun, for electrolytes, to my perpetuem but I didn't yesterday. I'll not forget again especially if it is hot like yesterday. I didn't consider the shorter swim being easier on me so I hope it will help some. I am aware of the "competition effect" but I just didn't know how much I could benefit from it. When I've run in my Sprints I try to catch up to people or if I hear someone coming up behind me I try to speed up to stay ahead as long as possible and then once they do pass me I try to keep up with them for as long as possible. It does help to keep me going. I think last year I found that in a cycling event I was approx. 10% faster than just going out for a ride. I sure hope the competition will help me enough to keep me on or under 7hrs.
Have you experimented with your breakfast a little more?  Something with some fat and protein, like peanut butter?

Also, 1900 is a lot of calories for a 5 hour workout, isn't it?  Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in on this?  But I know that over "eating" is one thing that can lead to cramps.  I know I've mentioned it before, and I swear I'm not getting paid to advertise for them, but have you tried Skratch?  I am sold on it.  Couldn't take the Nuun.

I went and checked my supplies and recounted my calories. Excluding my oatmeal I consumed 1470 calories from 9:00 to 2:40. I didn't think I ate too much but I did have some cramping near the end so I'll have to experiment with a bit less food. I figured I consumed 600 cal in perpetuem using the guide on the container so I could cut it back a bit.

I should know better about including fats and protein with breakfast and I like peanut butter which would help keep me feeling full longer.

I've never heard of "Skratch". I'll have to look for it next time I get to a multisport or running store. Is it likely an item that is only available in the US?

After my run yesterday I was wondering if I should be looking for a lighter and cooler pair of runners? I just retired an old pair that seemed pretty good but the replacement runners seem a bit heavier and hotter.

2013-06-29 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz I went and checked my supplies and recounted my calories. Excluding my oatmeal I consumed 1470 calories from 9:00 to 2:40. I didn't think I ate too much but I did have some cramping near the end so I'll have to experiment with a bit less food. I figured I consumed 600 cal in perpetuem using the guide on the container so I could cut it back a bit. I should know better about including fats and protein with breakfast and I like peanut butter which would help keep me feeling full longer. I've never heard of "Skratch". I'll have to look for it next time I get to a multisport or running store. Is it likely an item that is only available in the US? After my run yesterday I was wondering if I should be looking for a lighter and cooler pair of runners? I just retired an old pair that seemed pretty good but the replacement runners seem a bit heavier and hotter.
Personally I'd try to get more calories in the breakfast and then somewhere around 250-300 calories per hour during the workout.  Everybody is different but that seems to be a good starting point.  

I like the Skratch.  I order it online, I'm sure it is available outside the US. Just something to try.  Few calories, all natural, takes care of your electrolytes and most of your sodium.  Subtle taste, compared to most of the sports type drinks out there.  I tend to put 1.5-2 scoops in a 24 oz bottle, I think 1 scoop is 80 calories?  The skratch philosophy is drink your electrolytes, eat your calories.  There's a lot of info out there on the stuff, I'm no expert, I've just found that it seems to work well for me.

By runners do you mean shoes?  If you do, I think that's a totally personal thing.  I go to a running store where they evaluate me and I more or less buy the shoes they tell me to.  It's worked well so far.

2013-06-30 12:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

I'm better with nutrition now than I used to be. I had oatmeal for breakfast about an hour before the swim then just before the swim I had a Clif Bar and some perpetuem. Then when I came out of the water I had a HS waffle and more perpetuem. On the bike I carried two more bottles of perpetuem another waffle and some Chomps. Off the bike I had something more to eat (waffle?) more Perpetuem and headed out on the run. During the run I only had some perpetuem at our "transition" and after I finished the run I had a banana, more perpetuem and a recoverite that really went down well. Calorie wise I didn't keep exact count but I'm sure I was over 1900cal for the time I was working out. I realized yesterday that I should have had some pure water to drink in addition to the Perpetuem because I found that just the perpetuem didn't quench my thirst fully.

If there is something more I should be doing I'm keen to learn.

I usually add Nuun, for electrolytes, to my perpetuem but I didn't yesterday. I'll not forget again especially if it is hot like yesterday.

I didn't consider the shorter swim being easier on me so I hope it will help some. I am aware of the "competition effect" but I just didn't know how much I could benefit from it. When I've run in my Sprints I try to catch up to people or if I hear someone coming up behind me I try to speed up to stay ahead as long as possible and then once they do pass me I try to keep up with them for as long as possible. It does help to keep me going. I think last year I found that in a cycling event I was approx. 10% faster than just going out for a ride. I sure hope the competition will help me enough to keep me on or under 7hrs.

@wenceslasz

Yo Man so your using Hammer!! great man I noticed you also you also use it for running. You mst have a tough tummy. For running I use hammer gel . I also i noticed you use Perpeteum powder you prepare well my friend. Doesnt it take quite a bit to prepare? i tried it once ,but it takes time to use the blender and do the mix.You cant prepare it before hand because it spoils fast. I use Perpeteum tablets for cycling about 3 every 45 mins. grab and go. How do you drink Recoverite? i dont like how it tastes by itself.

Edited by strykergt 2013-06-30 12:45 AM
2013-06-30 6:11 AM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

Hope you still have room in your mentor group.

I'm 41 with decent general athletic abilities. Played recreational sports as a kid. Liked light mountain biking and lifting weights in college. Have played racquetball a bit. Life guard in college. Some short-term trail running in grad school. Eat healthy and am slender, but have been pretty sedentary since college. Working out has been onerous in the past. And don't tend to stick with things for too long.

That being said, I have been fantasizing on-and-off about triathalon for years. Something clicked a couple months ago, and I planned to start training for first September 1 Sprint in late-May with the 16-week swim-focused program. Threw my lower back out and had some family stuff to deal with so was delayed in starting until middle of June. Been sticking to the plan for the last 2 weeks and feel great about it. I want to get fit, become more active and "alive" and have a new goal to focus on. I'm very excited, but get intimidated around others. Really want to just finish and don't want to get caught up in the competitive aspect just yet. Have a hybrid bike that is in good condition and has been serving me well. Not looking to go crazy and buy all new stuff. Did get great running shoes (I'm flat footed) that feel great and have awesome support. Running starting to click and feel good. Do need help with the swimming. Thinking about one or two swim lessons to get the kinks out. I'm logging pretty consistently. Registered for the September 1 Sprint, so all systems are go.

Hoping for support and guidance.
Gary

EDITREPLYQUOTE
2013-06-30 10:08 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by PsyTri

I'm 41 with decent general athletic abilities. Played recreational sports as a kid. Liked light mountain biking and lifting weights in college. Have played racquetball a bit. Life guard in college. Some short-term trail running in grad school. Eat healthy and am slender, but have been pretty sedentary since college. Working out has been onerous in the past. And don't tend to stick with things for too long.

That being said, I have been fantasizing on-and-off about triathalon for years. Something clicked a couple months ago, and I planned to start training for first September 1 Sprint in late-May with the 16-week swim-focused program. Threw my lower back out and had some family stuff to deal with so was delayed in starting until middle of June. Been sticking to the plan for the last 2 weeks and feel great about it. I want to get fit, become more active and "alive" and have a new goal to focus on. I'm very excited, but get intimidated around others. Really want to just finish and don't want to get caught up in the competitive aspect just yet. Have a hybrid bike that is in good condition and has been serving me well. Not looking to go crazy and buy all new stuff. Did get great running shoes (I'm flat footed) that feel great and have awesome support. Running starting to click and feel good. Do need help with the swimming. Thinking about one or two swim lessons to get the kinks out. I'm logging pretty consistently. Registered for the September 1 Sprint, so all systems are go.

Gary

EDITREPLYQUOTE

Welcome Gary!

Swim lessons are a great idea to get some help. You can also look up drills on YouTube. Some of my favorites are shark fin, zipper, and one arm drills.
2013-06-30 3:50 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by PsyTri

Gary

EDITREPLYQUOTE

You are not alone in swimming, go get a swimming instructor its all worth it.

2013-06-30 6:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by wenceslasz...but when I apply my paces to my up coming HIM and it looks like I'm looking at almost 8hrs with lots of walking rather than running. 

I was really tired by the time I finished which is a bit of a concern because it was only 5hrs today. I'm not sure about another 3 hours on race day. 

Don't forget that when you taper, you feel amazingly strong! When you are in the middle of intense training, you are continually pushing yourself, so your muscles are tired. Even the recovery weeks feel hard to me. But tapering! Tapering rocks!

I am also pushing 8 hrs, which is the cutoff... worried...

Rebecca

2013-06-30 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Originally posted by miche033

Seven day forecast (high temps - F) for Fresno, starting with today:

109, 109, 108, 109, 106, 111, 109

I biked yesterday morning and it was great, and then I ran at lunch and thought I was going to die.  Drank plenty of water but just could not cool down afterwards.  Inside after running, 45 minutes later I'm still sweating.  Love it here.  Ugh.

better you than me! ugh!

yeah I'm not really a hot weather person either. I spent some time in Virginia, I liked it there. Weather-wise it can be like a swamp at times, and when it snows even a little the whole state seems to run around like the sky is falling, but at least it has four seasons. And the extremes of the seasons aren't too bad or too long. Fall seems to last a long time. In Fresno summer is 9 months of the year. And the other three months you still have th a/c on but it cools down at night a little. I'd think VA would be a great place to train for tri. Lots of hills, mild-ish weather. Lots of good nature. As I recall another person in the group lives in VA. I want to say superclysesdale maybe? But he hasn't chimed in in a long time.

Totally! It *is* a swamp. And snow stops everything, haha. Fall and spring last a long time. But I hate summer. 90 - 100 deg and humid. Yuck. I do get to ride all year long. That's nice.

2013-06-30 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by PsyTri Hope you still have room in your mentor group. I'm 41 with decent general athletic abilities. Played recreational sports as a kid. Liked light mountain biking and lifting weights in college. Have played racquetball a bit. Life guard in college. Some short-term trail running in grad school. Eat healthy and am slender, but have been pretty sedentary since college. Working out has been onerous in the past. And don't tend to stick with things for too long. That being said, I have been fantasizing on-and-off about triathalon for years. Something clicked a couple months ago, and I planned to start training for first September 1 Sprint in late-May with the 16-week swim-focused program. Threw my lower back out and had some family stuff to deal with so was delayed in starting until middle of June. Been sticking to the plan for the last 2 weeks and feel great about it. I want to get fit, become more active and "alive" and have a new goal to focus on. I'm very excited, but get intimidated around others. Really want to just finish and don't want to get caught up in the competitive aspect just yet. Have a hybrid bike that is in good condition and has been serving me well. Not looking to go crazy and buy all new stuff. Did get great running shoes (I'm flat footed) that feel great and have awesome support. Running starting to click and feel good. Do need help with the swimming. Thinking about one or two swim lessons to get the kinks out. I'm logging pretty consistently. Registered for the September 1 Sprint, so all systems are go. Hoping for support and guidance. Gary EDITREPLYQUOTE

Welcome, Gary! You can totally race with your hybrid bike. Then when you catch the tri bug you can go out and spend money on a new one.

2013-06-30 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by wenceslasz I should know better about including fats and protein with breakfast and I like peanut butter which would help keep me feeling full longer.
I survive on PB&J sandwhiches, and my stomach is usually rock solid, but today I had a banana and PB for breakfast with a glass of chocolate milk, and then drove with bike in car to a bike ride staring point I just discovered.  It's 20 out and 20 back, with about 1400ft of climb about 95% of which is on the way out.  So I figured this is very similar to the HIM bike path I'll be doing in a little over a month.  I started at about 6:40, and it was already in the upper 80s.  I immediately regretted the peanut butter.  I've not eaten peanut butter pre-race before, that I recall, and I now know not to.  I'm not used to the distance and definitely not used to the climb, and also as noted above I did a 10 mile run with a double jogging stroller yesterday.  So by about 18 miles in I was toast.  By the halfway point I was fighting throwing up.  If I hadn't taken our only car I'd have called my wife to pick me up.  Nothing quite like being 20 miles from the car and already fighting throwing up.  I ran out of water at about mile 30 I think.  Was moving really slow.  Pulled over once to let a group pass me, one of them asked if I was ok, I should have asked him if he had any spare water but I'm too much of a manly man to ask for help. :rolls eyes:

Got back to the car eventually and while driving home pulled over a couple times but ended up not throwing up till I got home.  I'm really hoping this is a stomach bug or something, my wife had one late last week, not something have to do with the heat or the ride, because the ride is similar to what I have to do in a little over a month and the heat will probably be about the same too.   Doesn't lead me to be overly optimistic about my preparation.  I've been in bed almost all day since I got home, small fever, was severely dehydrated when I got home.  Can't really eat, but have been taking in fluids all day (mostly gatorade, water, and orange juice).  I can count on one hand the number of times I have thrown up in my life from a workout.  This doesn't feel quite the same as the other times did, so again as ridiculous as it sounds I'm hoping it's a stomach bug.

The other thing is that during a lot of the climbing my heart rate was out of control.  I know for a HIM I'm supposed to focus on keeping the HR down, so I don't blow up during the run, but how do you do that during a climb?  As in this workout, my HIM as about 1300ft of climb, almost all during the first half.  Do I just take the climbs as easy as I can and then focus on recovering during the second half with mostly downhill?  I'm to the point where life has gotten in the way and my goal here is just to finish and have fun.  I'll keep up the mileage during the offseason and hopefully do the same race for time next year.  After today though I'm worried about even finishing.

2013-06-30 8:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by PsyTri Hope you still have room in your mentor group. I'm 41 with decent general athletic abilities. Played recreational sports as a kid. Liked light mountain biking and lifting weights in college. Have played racquetball a bit. Life guard in college. Some short-term trail running in grad school. Eat healthy and am slender, but have been pretty sedentary since college. Working out has been onerous in the past. And don't tend to stick with things for too long. That being said, I have been fantasizing on-and-off about triathalon for years. Something clicked a couple months ago, and I planned to start training for first September 1 Sprint in late-May with the 16-week swim-focused program. Threw my lower back out and had some family stuff to deal with so was delayed in starting until middle of June. Been sticking to the plan for the last 2 weeks and feel great about it. I want to get fit, become more active and "alive" and have a new goal to focus on. I'm very excited, but get intimidated around others. Really want to just finish and don't want to get caught up in the competitive aspect just yet. Have a hybrid bike that is in good condition and has been serving me well. Not looking to go crazy and buy all new stuff. Did get great running shoes (I'm flat footed) that feel great and have awesome support. Running starting to click and feel good. Do need help with the swimming. Thinking about one or two swim lessons to get the kinks out. I'm logging pretty consistently. Registered for the September 1 Sprint, so all systems are go. Hoping for support and guidance. Gary EDITREPLYQUOTE
Welcome, Gary.  Sounds like you have a great plan.  I did my first sprint and my first oly on a hybrid bike.  During the sprint there were a lot of others on hybrids, during the oly I think I was one of only two not on a road or tri bike.

2013-06-30 8:39 PM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Great! Thanks. Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is coming along and learning along the way.

BTW, what's HIM?
2013-06-30 8:41 PM

User image

Going to make contact with a triathlon swim instructor this week. Thanks for the encouragement.

Crazy. So far, I see folks in Texas and Virginia. I've lived in both places. For the training weather, I think I'd take Virginia!!
2013-06-30 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by PsyTriGreat! Thanks. Looking forward to hearing how everyone else is coming along and learning along the way. BTW, what's HIM?
Half-Ironman
2013-06-30 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Joe - Thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow your advice and make changes. I know everyone is different but I do feel I'm eating too much. The Perpetuem recommends 1.5 scoops per water bottle for my weight but I think I'll cut it back to 1 scoop and look to eat more calories than drinking them.

I'll definitely research the Skratch. It does sound good. I haven't had a problem with the nuun but I don't mind refining my nutrition to make it better.

By runners I did mean running shoes and I guess I'll go to our local running shop and see what they recommend for me. I went out for another run this morning and it was so much better than the Friday run. I ran 10K and enjoyed it so much I wanted to run longer and even considered going 2hrs but I didn't want to push myself too hard so near to the HIM day and I'm planning another one hour run tomorrow then meeting some fellows for another OWS.
2013-06-30 10:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by strykergt

@wenceslasz

Yo Man so your using Hammer!! great man I noticed you also you also use it for running. You mst have a tough tummy. For running I use hammer gel . I also i noticed you use Perpeteum powder you prepare well my friend. Doesnt it take quite a bit to prepare? i tried it once ,but it takes time to use the blender and do the mix.You cant prepare it before hand because it spoils fast. I use Perpeteum tablets for cycling about 3 every 45 mins. grab and go. How do you drink Recoverite? i dont like how it tastes by itself.

My wife bought me the perpetuem (which I call petroleum) so I do use it for cycling and to a lesser extent for running but I am careful to keep my hydration bottles in a cooler and with ice in the bottles as well. Eating most things doesn't usually bother me but I've resisted trying gels though. I'm not sure why, I just can't seem to bring myself to try them.

I usually mix my perpetuem in each water bottle and shake them up well before a ride. The powder seems to mix reasonably well although it does settle out after awhile. So far I haven't had any trouble with it spoiling. I wasn't aware it is available in tablet form. I'll have to check into the tablets. This weekend we have a local GranFondo and Hammer is one of the sponsors so I'll check out their booth in the Expo.

To mix my Recoverite, I pour about 12oz of milk into a water bottle then add two scoops of recoverite then cover it and shake well and then drink it. I bought the "Café Latte" flavour and it tastes like chocolate milk to me. I quite like it. I tried mixing it in a glass with a spoon but it doesn't work nearly as well as the water bottle.

2013-06-30 10:32 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Originally posted by wenceslasz I should know better about including fats and protein with breakfast and I like peanut butter which would help keep me feeling full longer.
I survive on PB&J sandwhiches, and my stomach is usually rock solid, but today I had a banana and PB for breakfast with a glass of chocolate milk, and then drove with bike in car to a bike ride staring point I just discovered.  It's 20 out and 20 back, with about 1400ft of climb about 95% of which is on the way out.  So I figured this is very similar to the HIM bike path I'll be doing in a little over a month.  I started at about 6:40, and it was already in the upper 80s.  I immediately regretted the peanut butter.  I've not eaten peanut butter pre-race before, that I recall, and I now know not to.  I'm not used to the distance and definitely not used to the climb, and also as noted above I did a 10 mile run with a double jogging stroller yesterday.  So by about 18 miles in I was toast.  By the halfway point I was fighting throwing up.  If I hadn't taken our only car I'd have called my wife to pick me up.  Nothing quite like being 20 miles from the car and already fighting throwing up.  I ran out of water at about mile 30 I think.  Was moving really slow.  Pulled over once to let a group pass me, one of them asked if I was ok, I should have asked him if he had any spare water but I'm too much of a manly man to ask for help. :rolls eyes:

Got back to the car eventually and while driving home pulled over a couple times but ended up not throwing up till I got home.  I'm really hoping this is a stomach bug or something, my wife had one late last week, not something have to do with the heat or the ride, because the ride is similar to what I have to do in a little over a month and the heat will probably be about the same too.   Doesn't lead me to be overly optimistic about my preparation.  I've been in bed almost all day since I got home, small fever, was severely dehydrated when I got home.  Can't really eat, but have been taking in fluids all day (mostly gatorade, water, and orange juice).  I can count on one hand the number of times I have thrown up in my life from a workout.  This doesn't feel quite the same as the other times did, so again as ridiculous as it sounds I'm hoping it's a stomach bug.

The other thing is that during a lot of the climbing my heart rate was out of control.  I know for a HIM I'm supposed to focus on keeping the HR down, so I don't blow up during the run, but how do you do that during a climb?  As in this workout, my HIM as about 1300ft of climb, almost all during the first half.  Do I just take the climbs as easy as I can and then focus on recovering during the second half with mostly downhill?  I'm to the point where life has gotten in the way and my goal here is just to finish and have fun.  I'll keep up the mileage during the offseason and hopefully do the same race for time next year.  After today though I'm worried about even finishing.

The stomach distress sucks and so does heat stroke. Regarding breakfast, when training and racing seriously, I eat 2-2.5 hours before the race/workout. That way I can take care of business and not hit the bathroom 5-6 times pre race and reduce the chance of stomach distress during workouts.

As far as climbing, spin up the hill keeping you HR as close to your target as you can realizing you have to cheat a little and that your pace will be ridiculously slow. Somewhere on BT I read the analogy that you have a book of matches to burn during a race/workout and once they are gone, you are in for a rough rest of the race. You choose where and when to burn them.
2013-06-30 10:34 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Joe - Thanks for the suggestions. I'll follow your advice and make changes. I know everyone is different but I do feel I'm eating too much. The Perpetuem recommends 1.5 scoops per water bottle for my weight but I think I'll cut it back to 1 scoop and look to eat more calories than drinking them.

I'll definitely research the Skratch. It does sound good. I haven't had a problem with the nuun but I don't mind refining my nutrition to make it better.

By runners I did mean running shoes and I guess I'll go to our local running shop and see what they recommend for me. I went out for another run this morning and it was so much better than the Friday run. I ran 10K and enjoyed it so much I wanted to run longer and even considered going 2hrs but I didn't want to push myself too hard so near to the HIM day and I'm planning another one hour run tomorrow then meeting some fellows for another OWS.

I'll dig up the formulas I use to calculate calories burned and post them this week. I then try to replace a third of them during a HIM.
2013-06-30 11:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Your stomach trouble sounds more like a bug to me. The sun/heat could do it to you if the heat is intense (90's-ish) with no shade on your route but in early morning even on a hot day I'd think it would take longer to affect you. I don't think the peanut butter would be too hard on your stomach normally but with a bug it could be uncomfortable to say the least.

I'm afraid most times I wouldn't ask for help either. It's a man thing I guess.

It's interesting you were severely dehydrated when you got home. You were only out of water for the last 10miles of your ride which shouldn't be too much of a hardship normally. It adds support to the idea of a bug. I don't think you can put much weight into todays ride indicating your preparedness for the HIM. The bug could easily slow you down and certainly affect your heart rate by a lot (its an early sign of getting old . So write off todays ride as one of those bad day things and look forward to a "do-over" when you're back to normal.

As for climbing on race day, just set your pace and ride up the hill without "racing". If anyone wants to race past you let them go. You'll see them again later. I recently rode up Richter Pass (part of IMCanada route), it is a 1300' climb in 11.1km/6.9miles. It took me 49:50 to climb the hill at a steady pace - slow and steady. If I can do it I'm sure you can and probably faster too. Also, don't worry about your heart rate on the way up the hill just maintain your pace. Don't stand up unless you have to or until you're just reaching the crest then you can stand and accelerate over the crest to gain some speed for the downhill. If you stand too much on the uphill it takes longer to recoup on the downhill side.

My HIM has 688m/2259' of climbing so I've been attacking any hills I can to get comfortable. Surprisingly, once daunting climbs now seem to have shrunk substantially so ride hills.

I think we (you, Rebecca and I) have to remember what Ransick said about not worrying about your time and just have fun. Once the race starts just go and don't worry, it will be okay. No problem doing it again next year. It'll give you something to look forward to and one year is nothing to wait.
2013-07-01 12:17 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Originally posted by ransick

The stomach distress sucks and so does heat stroke. Regarding breakfast, when training and racing seriously, I eat 2-2.5 hours before the race/workout. That way I can take care of business and not hit the bathroom 5-6 times pre race and reduce the chance of stomach distress during workouts.

As far as climbing, spin up the hill keeping you HR as close to your target as you can realizing you have to cheat a little and that your pace will be ridiculously slow. Somewhere on BT I read the analogy that you have a book of matches to burn during a race/workout and once they are gone, you are in for a rough rest of the race. You choose where and when to burn them.

Mike is right on. Match sticks. This is totally how I think. You only have so many match sticks.
And absolutely. best way to think about climbing is to spin up them most everyone thinks they need to be a super hero going up, then take it easy going down. This is NOT correct. You need to spin up, then hammer DOWN the hill. Or basically keep the same pressure on the pedals going up/down hills. It's a tough concept to embrace. But if you do not do this. you will be using matchsticks while climbing. Just say no!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41