BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2014-01-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Swimmig Question
A race list.

KC

(RFPScheduledEvents.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
RFPScheduledEvents.jpg (104KB - 4 downloads)

2014-01-29 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Put me down for Rev3 Wisconsin Dells 70.3 on June 22, 2014

Originally posted by kcgolf

Ok Team - sorry to scare any of you with video of me in my suit swimming I will probably post more so get used to it lol.

Speaking of swimming - I did an extra pool session yesterday afternoon for an hour - worked on my Total Immersion drills - needed the refresher

On tap for today - Swim at 4 (going to do speed and interval work, keying on proper body position) and then a 45 minute run on the dread mill when I get home watching something on TV I guess. The weather here is so brutal I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE

OK - Tim and Iceman - thanks for all the great advice - I still have so much to learn from you guys

I will continue to post the A race list for everyone and I know I am missing a few so for those of you that are not on this list, please post a race or two for me to add - even if it is just a possible race.

Stay warm and safe everyone.

Off to the pool.

KC

Edited by tmoran80 2014-01-29 4:07 PM
2014-01-29 4:10 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED
Originally posted by tmoran80

Interesting conversation. I am thinking you both are right although my feeling is when I hear someone struggling to swim continuous it usually comes down to breathing. Poor swim stroke can add time but you can still swim continuous (either slow or fast). Poor stroke will make you slow -bad breathing will make you stop. Joining the Masters Group is a good call just to get someone looking at your stroke. Another thing (if you have the ability) is to videotape yourself an post here so we can critique. In fact I think KC hired a personal videographer every workout to follow him to the pool the first year he was swimming so he could post and we could critique him.

Originally posted by pnwdan

Iceman - at the risk of making a fool of myself I'm going to disagree with you. If you can't swim freestyle for an entire sprint you need to work on form, not endurance. Get the form down and you can swim forever. Training for endurance with bad form is a recipe for injury.

This is what I was answering. I didn't read anything about backstroke.

Originally posted by nrpoulin

"I have 44 days to my first tri and after this week will only have 4 weeks in my program my second tri is in 80 days. Should I continue for the duration of the last weeks without the bricks and start developing speed or continue with the same pattern and increase duration.

Still can't swim the sprint distance continuous freestyle. Should I drill more, slowly increase continual distance, or length of interval?"

Form is ALWAYS a central part of a swim session. Endurance base is critical. Speed work in the pool is an add on after we have the base. We shouldn't worry about speed work until the base is there
2014-01-29 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Put me down for Rev3 Wisconsin Dells 70.3 on June 22, 2014

Ok Team - sorry to scare any of you with video of me in my suit swimming I will probably post more so get used to it lol.

Speaking of swimming - I did an extra pool session yesterday afternoon for an hour - worked on my Total Immersion drills - needed the refresher

On tap for today - Swim at 4 (going to do speed and interval work, keying on proper body position) and then a 45 minute run on the dread mill when I get home watching something on TV I guess. The weather here is so brutal I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE

OK - Tim and Iceman - thanks for all the great advice - I still have so much to learn from you guys

I will continue to post the A race list for everyone and I know I am missing a few so for those of you that are not on this list, please post a race or two for me to add - even if it is just a possible race.

Stay warm and safe everyone.

Off to the pool.

KC

I'm still debating the Dells or Springfield an hour away from home. :/
2014-01-29 7:37 PM
in reply to: IceManScott

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Updated with Tim's race - I will hold off on anything for you right now Iceman.

KC

(Untitled.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Untitled.jpg (110KB - 3 downloads)
2014-01-29 10:13 PM

User image

Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)
I've been reading Triathlon Science by Vance and Friel. They have referenced a variety of methods. It seems most on BT use HR. I don't have a monitor. I guess from previous experience base was based on a % of race pace. This method was also described and Friel does include in the bible. both these methods require some fitness to get in (field test or a race). It would seem that HR would better take into account environmental factors, and individual factors. Guess heart rate monitor is another thing to put on the list of things to invest in. Think I will invest in masters swim, and buying a bike first (recs on a beginner road bike welcome) Do you think the usefulness is seen across all distances or becomes more apparent at oly or HIM.

Thank you

Nate

2014-01-29 10:32 PM

User image

Kenmore, Washington
I had a great swim today. I got to the pool late leaving me with only 45 minutes before swim class takes over all the lanes. Swam with urgency to get as many laps in as possible. Took a few breaks only to change lanes as people came and left. I usually take short breaks in between drills so this was a nice change. Left feeling great.

Edited by pnwdan 2014-01-29 10:37 PM
2014-01-30 5:55 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Expert
HR is great for all training. Honestly I dont use it in sprint or olympic distance races because I am pushing it and am not too concerned about HR or pacing. As you get up into to 70.3 or 140.6 distances then it becomes more useful for helping to determine your race pacing.

HR is a great tool for training ro keep you inthe desired sweet spot to maximize your training especially for runnimg. If you want to getneven more advanced then you would want to get into bike power meters as they give you more real time data.

Triathlon seems expensive with all this crap you have to buy but you are all lucky because I am the "King Of Cheap" since my wife hatea me spending money on this sport. I have found the cheapest alternatuve to everything so feel free to aak me haha.

I've been reading Triathlon Science by Vance and Friel. They have referenced a variety of methods. It seems most on BT use HR. I don't have a monitor. I guess from previous experience base was based on a % of race pace. This method was also described and Friel does include in the bible. both these methods require some fitness to get in (field test or a race). It would seem that HR would better take into account environmental factors, and individual factors. Guess heart rate monitor is another thing to put on the list of things to invest in. Think I will invest in masters swim, and buying a bike first (recs on a beginner road bike welcome) Do you think the usefulness is seen across all distances or becomes more apparent at oly or HIM.

Thank you

Nate
2014-01-30 7:30 AM
in reply to: pnwdan

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Nice job Dan - we call that RFP

Originally posted by pnwdan

I had a great swim today. I got to the pool late leaving me with only 45 minutes before swim class takes over all the lanes. Swam with urgency to get as many laps in as possible. Took a few breaks only to change lanes as people came and left. I usually take short breaks in between drills so this was a nice change. Left feeling great.
2014-01-30 7:32 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Nate - listen to Tim, he has some great ideas on how to aquire the stuff you may want and need for this sport. Now me on the other hand, I am an idiot and just buy $hit I don't need lol.

KC

HR is great for all training. Honestly I dont use it in sprint or olympic distance races because I am pushing it and am not too concerned about HR or pacing. As you get up into to 70.3 or 140.6 distances then it becomes more useful for helping to determine your race pacing.

HR is a great tool for training ro keep you inthe desired sweet spot to maximize your training especially for runnimg. If you want to getneven more advanced then you would want to get into bike power meters as they give you more real time data.

Triathlon seems expensive with all this crap you have to buy but you are all lucky because I am the "King Of Cheap" since my wife hatea me spending money on this sport. I have found the cheapest alternatuve to everything so feel free to aak me haha.

Thank you

Nate

2014-01-30 7:32 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

On tap today - work, bike, eat, sleep

KC

2014-01-30 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Thank you

Nate

I'm with Tim. HR is a great tool. We generally race by RPE anyway but HR can help keep us in the right zone and avoid letting adrenaline push us too hard too soon. HR is also a great training tool. We tend to focus on zone 2 for endurance and zone 4 to improve our lactate threshold. The combination helps us go farther with less effort. HR is definitely worth it on the bike and the run for training. They have swim watches now that will do HR and I suspect that will be the next gen of the Garmin 910XT which I have. It gives no HR in the water. But I go by RPE and pace in the water anyway. If you do get an HR, go for one that gives average HR for intervals as well as real time. GPS so you can have pacing is an advantage too. Naturally prices go up as the features get added. But average HR for intervals is really important over time.

Beginner bikes is a great question. Figure out what you can afford first. Get a good bike fit. Just go to the LBS, tell them you are shopping for a bike and you want to know what size you are looking for. Armed with those two pieces of information you can start riding bikes. The best bike for you is that one you like. Keep riding. You'll feel it under you sooner or later. Every company Giant, Trek, Specialized and the other big brand names make good bikes.

Cost depends on frame material and components. Carbon is lightest and most expensive. But remember, we are talking a matter of a few pounds, in some cases ounces, so how important is that carbon really when it comes to saving bucks? Carbon also absorbs road noise. But aluminum with carbon inserts does the trick too and it is lighter than steel. Titanium is really expensive but the best of the bunch. It absorbs road noise, is lightand bomb proof. I bought a ti frame a few years ago and did my first bike build. It is on my trainer and can't be hurt.

Components make a huge difference in price and some impact on performance. The top of the line Shimano is Dura Ace. Very pricey and chrome covered. But performance is not any different than Ultegra, which looks fine too. So go with that. Even the entry level components today are pretty good. I like SRAM. Force is very good. Red is more expensive. I've used both and don't notice a lot of difference. I put red on my Shiv because I got a great deal on the bike and could afford the upgrade.

You can always buy a clip-on aero bar set-up to get more arrow. Think about pedals that let you clip in. They are more efficient You get power from the upstroke as well as the down.

Most standard wheel sets are fine. You can always upgrade. If you stick with triathlon, you'll maybe by a TT bike or triathlon bike down the road and the road bike becomes a training tool, for group rides, and the bike you use on your trainer.

Don't be afraid of used bikes. I sold a great TT Orbea for a fraction of its worth if new. The woman who bought it LOVES it. I had the LBS sell it which they were glad to do because they sold me the Shiv. If you are unsure of whether the bike is in good condition, pay a LBS to check it over quick or ask a friend. I've got a bike shop at home and can check chains, components etc. Lots of people do. Now is a good time for bikes. Lots of sales on 2013 models. When they are gone, prices will go up for 2014 models. I was in a LBS yesterday that had lots of 2013s left.

I LOVE bikes. Can you tell?

Edited by IceManScott 2014-01-30 7:58 AM
2014-01-30 6:11 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Great advice Iceman - as always.

Hope everyone had a great day - stay warm, safe and healthy wherever you are.

OK - HOW ABOUT SOME SUPER BOWL PREDICTIONS?

KC -- Denver 27 Seattle 20

Have a great night.

Originally posted by IceManScott

Thank you

Nate

I'm with Tim. HR is a great tool. We generally race by RPE anyway but HR can help keep us in the right zone and avoid letting adrenaline push us too hard too soon. HR is also a great training tool. We tend to focus on zone 2 for endurance and zone 4 to improve our lactate threshold. The combination helps us go farther with less effort. HR is definitely worth it on the bike and the run for training. They have swim watches now that will do HR and I suspect that will be the next gen of the Garmin 910XT which I have. It gives no HR in the water. But I go by RPE and pace in the water anyway. If you do get an HR, go for one that gives average HR for intervals as well as real time. GPS so you can have pacing is an advantage too. Naturally prices go up as the features get added. But average HR for intervals is really important over time.

Beginner bikes is a great question. Figure out what you can afford first. Get a good bike fit. Just go to the LBS, tell them you are shopping for a bike and you want to know what size you are looking for. Armed with those two pieces of information you can start riding bikes. The best bike for you is that one you like. Keep riding. You'll feel it under you sooner or later. Every company Giant, Trek, Specialized and the other big brand names make good bikes.

Cost depends on frame material and components. Carbon is lightest and most expensive. But remember, we are talking a matter of a few pounds, in some cases ounces, so how important is that carbon really when it comes to saving bucks? Carbon also absorbs road noise. But aluminum with carbon inserts does the trick too and it is lighter than steel. Titanium is really expensive but the best of the bunch. It absorbs road noise, is lightand bomb proof. I bought a ti frame a few years ago and did my first bike build. It is on my trainer and can't be hurt.

Components make a huge difference in price and some impact on performance. The top of the line Shimano is Dura Ace. Very pricey and chrome covered. But performance is not any different than Ultegra, which looks fine too. So go with that. Even the entry level components today are pretty good. I like SRAM. Force is very good. Red is more expensive. I've used both and don't notice a lot of difference. I put red on my Shiv because I got a great deal on the bike and could afford the upgrade.

You can always buy a clip-on aero bar set-up to get more arrow. Think about pedals that let you clip in. They are more efficient You get power from the upstroke as well as the down.

Most standard wheel sets are fine. You can always upgrade. If you stick with triathlon, you'll maybe by a TT bike or triathlon bike down the road and the road bike becomes a training tool, for group rides, and the bike you use on your trainer.

Don't be afraid of used bikes. I sold a great TT Orbea for a fraction of its worth if new. The woman who bought it LOVES it. I had the LBS sell it which they were glad to do because they sold me the Shiv. If you are unsure of whether the bike is in good condition, pay a LBS to check it over quick or ask a friend. I've got a bike shop at home and can check chains, components etc. Lots of people do. Now is a good time for bikes. Lots of sales on 2013 models. When they are gone, prices will go up for 2014 models. I was in a LBS yesterday that had lots of 2013s left.

I LOVE bikes. Can you tell?

2014-01-30 6:17 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Team - quick question before I shut it down for the night - my BT plan is asking for 3950 yards in the pool tomorrow - this is my 3rd week into the plan - I think that is a bit much? Opinions? Besides - I don't think I have the time for that tomorrow.

Thanks.

KC
2014-01-30 6:20 PM

User image

Happy Thursday to everyone!
Hope everyone is having a grand week of training. Alright so here is a "typical" day of eating for me. I realize that you all aren't nutritionists (although I guess I am not aware of your professions, so I'll just assume there aren't any R.Ds in here) I am just looking for advice on adjusting my diet, substitutions etc. as I mentioned earlier this week.
Breakfast: 1/2c oatmeal w/ banana and 2TB peanut butter and 1/2c greek yogurt; a.m. snack: trail mix ( 1/4c walnuts, 2TB chocolate chips, 3TB dried cherries); Lunch: 1/2c bulgar w/ 2TB hummus, (2) carrots,1 apple, 1/2 sandwich (1 slice bread with 1TB peanut butter and 1tb honey); p.m. snack nature valley granola bar; Dinner: 1c brown rice w/ 1c mixed vegetables, 1/2c black beans, 2TB shredded cheese; p.m snack(s) 1c spring mix w/ 1/4c cottage cheese, 1c mixed veggies w/2TB shredded cheese, (6) squares dark chocolate

Not to get too personal but, I should mention I am 5'3," weigh 118 pounds and am currently training about 18 hours a week (4 swim, 4 bike, 4 run workouts/ week), also I am a vegetarian. Be gentle,I just put my weight up for all to see! But seriously any and all advice helps, thanks!

Helen

2014-01-30 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Hey Team - quick question before I shut it down for the night - my BT plan is asking for 3950 yards in the pool tomorrow - this is my 3rd week into the plan - I think that is a bit much? Opinions? Besides - I don't think I have the time for that tomorrow.

Thanks.

KC

I have a question on the plan - why? That's nearly IM distance. If not peak, forgetaboutit. Do what you can. You'll have the fitness you need when you need it.

2014-01-30 7:12 PM
in reply to: mtrunner6

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Originally posted by mtrunner6

Hope everyone is having a grand week of training. Alright so here is a "typical" day of eating for me. I realize that you all aren't nutritionists (although I guess I am not aware of your professions, so I'll just assume there aren't any R.Ds in here) I am just looking for advice on adjusting my diet, substitutions etc. as I mentioned earlier this week.
Breakfast: 1/2c oatmeal w/ banana and 2TB peanut butter and 1/2c greek yogurt; a.m. snack: trail mix ( 1/4c walnuts, 2TB chocolate chips, 3TB dried cherries); Lunch: 1/2c bulgar w/ 2TB hummus, (2) carrots,1 apple, 1/2 sandwich (1 slice bread with 1TB peanut butter and 1tb honey); p.m. snack nature valley granola bar; Dinner: 1c brown rice w/ 1c mixed vegetables, 1/2c black beans, 2TB shredded cheese; p.m snack(s) 1c spring mix w/ 1/4c cottage cheese, 1c mixed veggies w/2TB shredded cheese, (6) squares dark chocolate

Not to get too personal but, I should mention I am 5'3," weigh 118 pounds and am currently training about 18 hours a week (4 swim, 4 bike, 4 run workouts/ week), also I am a vegetarian. Be gentle,I just put my weight up for all to see! But seriously any and all advice helps, thanks!

Helen

[/QUOTE

You can be my nutritionist. If you feel like you have the energy you need, what's wrong with what you are doing? I lost a couple of hundred pounds, but I still like meat. I tried Paleo but my energy tanked so I target carbs before my workouts. It's not only what I eat, but when that's important. Shaving weight again after IronMan. Can't wait until we start to run outside.

2014-01-30 7:54 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Thanks Iceman - that is what I thought. I am going to go look at what I may have put in as user information when I created the plan here on BT - something does not seem right. I agree with you - forgetaboutit

Have a great night.

KC

Thanks.

KC

I have a question on the plan - why? That's nearly IM distance. If not peak, forgetaboutit. Do what you can. You'll have the fitness you need when you need it.
2014-01-30 7:56 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Helen.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about the nutrition stuff but at first glance, what you are doing looks great.

I like your breakfast and everything else looks great. Lets see what everyone else has to say.

KC

Helen

2014-01-30 11:36 PM

User image

Chicago
Hello team,

Had a great swim this evening with the masters swim team. I have been working hard at trying to reach the 3000 yds. distance and I finally did that tonight. It's a milestone for me because the swim has always been a challenge. I have a lot of work to still because I'm still the slowest guy on the team. It's not that important to me to be the fastest but I would like to keep up with the workouts.

So far I have had a pretty good month. I've managed to keep my training up around 6 hours a week and my Achilles is doing well. hardly no pain. I've had some runs were I don't feel any pain so this is a great sign for the future.

The weather is still pretty crummy here so more indoor workouts for me. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Cheers!
2014-01-30 11:39 PM

Tim, earlier you said that Zone 3 is best described as junk miles, and IceMan, you state that you train in Zone 2 for endurance and Zone 4 to improve lactate threshold. My question is this: I'm doing a short run and a long run each week, so should I be doing my short run in Zone 4 and my long run in Zone 2? My long run usually ends up being in the low end of Zone 3. Should I slow down? I can maintain that pace for the duration of my long runs fairly easily. Thanks guys!
Also, I may be posting some swimming vids here soon if I can get my wife to go to the pool with me. I definitely need some critique!

2014-01-31 1:16 AM

User image

Expert
Helen - I think that looks great. The fact you are measuring portions is also great. As long as this is your "typical" day then you are fine. Again it all comes down to calories in versus calories out so I am a big supporter of daily nutrition tracking if you are really trying to get good info or results. What is you goal? Are you trying to maintain or lose weight? Being a vegetarian you really have to be extra focused especially with all the training you are doing but it looks like you have a good balance of protein, veggies and carbs.

Helen

2014-01-31 1:17 AM

User image

Expert
Good call - that does seem like a lot of yards this early in the plan.

Thanks Iceman - that is what I thought. I am going to go look at what I may have put in as user information when I created the plan here on BT - something does not seem right. I agree with you - forgetaboutit

Have a great night.

KC

Thanks.

KC

2014-01-31 1:19 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Expert
Nice work hitting the 3000 yd milestone. Keep up the good work Gil. from what I have seen the weather is only getting worse next week.

Originally posted by gdelamora

Hello team,

Had a great swim this evening with the masters swim team. I have been working hard at trying to reach the 3000 yds. distance and I finally did that tonight. It's a milestone for me because the swim has always been a challenge. I have a lot of work to still because I'm still the slowest guy on the team. It's not that important to me to be the fastest but I would like to keep up with the workouts.

So far I have had a pretty good month. I've managed to keep my training up around 6 hours a week and my Achilles is doing well. hardly no pain. I've had some runs were I don't feel any pain so this is a great sign for the future.

The weather is still pretty crummy here so more indoor workouts for me. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Cheers!
2014-01-31 1:26 AM
in reply to: murdock

User image

Expert
Murdock -You are on the right track but your short runs do not have to be all in Zone 4. You want to try and incorporate some interval work into the short runs by either tempo runs, short distance repeats, fartlek runs, etc... for your long runs try and stay in Zone 2 to build that endurance. If you do it correctly you should see your times decrease at the same HR effort. Let us know if you need some help with the interval workouts.

A good weekly running plan for me incorporates 3 key workouts - Easy/Recovery Run. Speed or Tempo and finally the LSD (Long Slow Distance)

Originally posted by murdock

Tim, earlier you said that Zone 3 is best described as junk miles, and IceMan, you state that you train in Zone 2 for endurance and Zone 4 to improve lactate threshold. My question is this: I'm doing a short run and a long run each week, so should I be doing my short run in Zone 4 and my long run in Zone 2? My long run usually ends up being in the low end of Zone 3. Should I slow down? I can maintain that pace for the duration of my long runs fairly easily. Thanks guys!
Also, I may be posting some swimming vids here soon if I can get my wife to go to the pool with me. I definitely need some critique!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 32

RELATED POSTS

Team Trisuppo - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34

Started by trisuppo
Views: 30795 Posts: 838

2014-05-16 3:19 PM jackiep
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 7, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Would it be a simple and advisable to swap back and forth between the road seat post with no aero bars and the tri seat post with aero bars?

date : August 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I have a Specialized Allez Elite road bike with aero bars. It has the stock seatpost. I am interested in changing the seat post to one that is more forward. What would I look for?
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : July 3, 2006
author : ChiRunning
Discussion on many aspects of ChiRunning such as falling forward, posture, hamstring tightness, stride length, leaning, stretching
date : June 5, 2006
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America
date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Her IM time of 13 hours and 44 minutes at the Great Floridan allowed her to compete for the USA Triathlon Team in Ibiza, Spain in 2003.