BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-06-03 2:31 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open
What is "upstate" to you? Just curious - I'm a Vermonter. There is some fantastic hiking too in the Adirondacks to cross train and I'm thinking that would count as a run... Thor? I hiked up and down Mansfield here in Vermont in 2:20 3 days before a 1/2 marathon. The day before the half I could hardly walk but I ended up PR-ing the 1/2... go figure.

~ Jenn

2014-06-03 2:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

welcome back David. How was the interview?

did a bike followed by weights and sprint jog. I even did 22 min to make up my missing 2 min from Monday. 3/28 I know weights don't count but they sure make the bike and run hurt more

As for beer I am having the last bit of my "blackout pumpkin" and a double IPA. (both homemade

I'm heading up to NY (upstate) next weekend. I looked for a race, but didn't find one I can work in. Will be taking my bike for a long ride, hoping I don't get lost...

Thanks for asking about the interview. I taught a class there but still haven't heard the final decision. They are checking my references, so they are interested. I should hear back by the end of the week.

When you get to new york, I've got two beers to suggest that I'm pretty sure you can't get back in NC. 1st - Bells Two Hearted Ale. It's my favorite IPA on the planet. The other brewery to look for is Jack's Abby - a beer made in Framingham MA. All of their stuff is outstanding. Hope you find a bunch.

Dave (Damn - I keep forgetting to add my own name)

Edited by Qua17 2014-06-03 2:36 PM
2014-06-03 2:44 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Originally posted by Qua17

Originally posted by sandishr

I'm totally in with the weight loss/beer exchange. Well, the beer exchange part. My main weight goal is to not gain, I'm pretty close to a good weight. With the training I'm going to be doing for the tri in six weeks that shouldn't be hard...plus I'll be doing that training for several weeks at 6K feet elevation, so I am hopeful that I'll be successful. So I'd probably be the best partner for someone who wants Washington (or PNW) beer and is motivated enough by that. :-) I also do pretty carefully watch what we eat, follow generally low-glycemic index eating principles (as opposed to calorie counting), so if someone wanted ideas as to how to do this I'm happy to give recipes, our meal plan, etc.

If you can get my Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger - I'd be more than happy to be your dance partner...

Who else wants to lose some weight and try some beer?

Dave

Sigh. Would love to help, but when I googled the beer, this is what I got:

http://blog.seattlepi.com/washingtonbeerblog/2013/01/02/no-more-pli...

I'll check the local grocery stores in the next day and confirm I can't get it....
2014-06-03 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

June update:

June 1st: Two workouts: 6 mile run and 1 mile open water swimming. Well, sort of... I was paddling my long board as flotilla support for my local OWS group. I'm going to consider it a swim workout because trying to keep up with the faster swimmers while hauling an old heavy long board through the water was more effort than just swimming the mile, my shoulders are still a bit sore!

June 2nd: Just an easy pace 4 mile run.

June 3rd: A nice hilly 6 mile run, part of which is along the route of the sprint Tri I'm doing in July.

edit: Beer appreciation for the weekend: Stone's session "Go To IPA". Great flavor and hops without being too heavy. Perfect for sitting outside on a patio with a bunch of friends on a Sunday afternoon.

Edited by MOlsen 2014-06-03 3:44 PM
2014-06-03 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4996400

User image

I had a great start to the week. Biked on Sunday for over an hour and then swam 1650 m yesterday. Now I have the flu. Fml I can't catch a break
2014-06-03 4:15 PM

User image

Bells two hearted is one of my favorites, yes we have it here and Northern Brewer sells a clone called "dead ringer" which I make quite often.

I'll look for Jack Abby

Upstate to me is north of Richmond But the wife is from near Albany. I'm up for beer exchange and need the weight loss, I gained 20 lbs while I was injured, I guess swimming did not burn calories like running did.

scott

Edited by b2b14 2014-06-03 4:15 PM

2014-06-03 8:32 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Originally posted by MOlsen

June update:

June 1st: Two workouts: 6 mile run and 1 mile open water swimming. Well, sort of... I was paddling my long board as flotilla support for my local OWS group. I'm going to consider it a swim workout because trying to keep up with the faster swimmers while hauling an old heavy long board through the water was more effort than just swimming the mile, my shoulders are still a bit sore!

June 2nd: Just an easy pace 4 mile run.

June 3rd: A nice hilly 6 mile run, part of which is along the route of the sprint Tri I'm doing in July.

edit: Beer appreciation for the weekend: Stone's session "Go To IPA". Great flavor and hops without being too heavy. Perfect for sitting outside on a patio with a bunch of friends on a Sunday afternoon.

Looks like those Go To IPAs are well earned. I'm not good with big numbers but it looks like you have chalked up 16 miles of running and we aren't even 1/2 way through the week.

I really like the Go To - just like I like Founder's All Day IPA. Big hop nose in an easy to drink beer. Fantastic for the the summer!
2014-06-03 8:41 PM

User image

Expert
OK - two things... Today was the first day when I didn't complete a workout prescribed by my coach. Not ok. Next time I do that - it's a warm coors lite.

Second - on the advice of my coach, I've taken two ice baths today in the hopes of recovering quicker. Holy crap those aren't fun! I better wake up feeling like a million bucks!

2014-06-04 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

5/28 for June Challenge! # 6 on tap with a lunch time run today. Race 5 weeks away. Feeling my swim is on par but run and bike a tad behind where I want to be...gotta pull up my socks. Need to do some hill training or suffer the consequences!

2014-06-04 8:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Qua17 OK - two things... Today was the first day when I didn't complete a workout prescribed by my coach. Not ok. Next time I do that - it's a warm coors lite. Second - on the advice of my coach, I've taken two ice baths today in the hopes of recovering quicker. Holy crap those aren't fun! I better wake up feeling like a million bucks!

Your family is probably just happy you have finally taken a bath....

Looking forward to seeing your workouts done for today!!

2014-06-04 8:12 AM
in reply to: Brodzki

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Brodzki I had a great start to the week. Biked on Sunday for over an hour and then swam 1650 m yesterday. Now I have the flu. Fml I can't catch a break
It is a pain in the butt getting sick, especially for June when us northerners are finally getting some good outdoor weather!!

2014-06-04 8:14 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 What is "upstate" to you? Just curious - I'm a Vermonter. There is some fantastic hiking too in the Adirondacks to cross train and I'm thinking that would count as a run... Thor? I hiked up and down Mansfield here in Vermont in 2:20 3 days before a 1/2 marathon. The day before the half I could hardly walk but I ended up PR-ing the 1/2... go figure. ~ Jenn
If you call it "trail run" then you can count it!

2014-06-04 10:17 AM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
I can't find the post to quote but someone asked what you consider "upstate". Well according to my wife anything outside of the 5 boroughs is upstate Keep in mind she's from Brooklyn.
2014-06-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Well it's official . I am signed up to volunteer at IMFL to get entry for '15. Hotel is reserved and confirmation email has been received. I also booked my hotel for the Rev3 HIM in Venice November 9th.

Question for David and Charles...how was the job Rev3 did with the race? Was it well supported and set up? More importantly, how was the swag bag? It's so much cheaper than a branded race I just wondered how it matched up.
2014-06-04 10:34 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
OK folks. What am I forgetting?

3 days from race day and I think I have everything covered.

Today:
Last day on the bike.

Tomorrow:
Last swim using my trisuit, cap and goggles I will use on race day.

Friday:
Full rest day.
Bike Prep, Pressure, Lube, Water bottle and a short evening ride to make sure nothing falls off.
Pack bag and double check gear list.

Aside from these things I have been doing some specific practice. Like putting on and taking off my bike shoes without leaning on anything. To simulate transition and hopefully not wobble, reach out a hand and push over a whole rack of bikes :-).

Going to try hard to get some early nights and eat well in these three lead days.

Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks,
Adrian
2014-06-04 10:39 AM
in reply to: badmo77a

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Originally posted by badmo77a

OK folks. What am I forgetting?

3 days from race day and I think I have everything covered.

Today:
Last day on the bike.

Tomorrow:
Last swim using my trisuit, cap and goggles I will use on race day.

Friday:
Full rest day.
Bike Prep, Pressure, Lube, Water bottle and a short evening ride to make sure nothing falls off.
Pack bag and double check gear list.

Aside from these things I have been doing some specific practice. Like putting on and taking off my bike shoes without leaning on anything. To simulate transition and hopefully not wobble, reach out a hand and push over a whole rack of bikes :-).

Going to try hard to get some early nights and eat well in these three lead days.

Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks,
Adrian

Sounds like you're all set. 3 days out start to hydrate well and eat very well and clean. I always heard start to hydrate a few days before that actual race. You forgot one thing...put a huge smile on and reap the rewards of your hard training.

2014-06-04 11:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by badmo77a OK folks. What am I forgetting? 3 days from race day and I think I have everything covered. Today: Last day on the bike. Tomorrow: Last swim using my trisuit, cap and goggles I will use on race day. Friday: Full rest day. Bike Prep, Pressure, Lube, Water bottle and a short evening ride to make sure nothing falls off. Pack bag and double check gear list. Aside from these things I have been doing some specific practice. Like putting on and taking off my bike shoes without leaning on anything. To simulate transition and hopefully not wobble, reach out a hand and push over a whole rack of bikes :-). Going to try hard to get some early nights and eat well in these three lead days. Am I forgetting anything? Thanks, Adrian

I am assuming you have used your trisuit  running and biking? Also assuming wetsuit has been tried?

Most importantly, a cooler filled with cold tasty beers for after the race!!

Have a great race!!

2014-06-04 11:29 AM

User image

St Catharines, Ontario
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by badmo77a OK folks. What am I forgetting? 3 days from race day and I think I have everything covered. Today: Last day on the bike. Tomorrow: Last swim using my trisuit, cap and goggles I will use on race day. Friday: Full rest day. Bike Prep, Pressure, Lube, Water bottle and a short evening ride to make sure nothing falls off. Pack bag and double check gear list. Aside from these things I have been doing some specific practice. Like putting on and taking off my bike shoes without leaning on anything. To simulate transition and hopefully not wobble, reach out a hand and push over a whole rack of bikes :-). Going to try hard to get some early nights and eat well in these three lead days. Am I forgetting anything? Thanks, Adrian

I am assuming you have used your trisuit  running and biking? Also assuming wetsuit has been tried?

Most importantly, a cooler filled with cold tasty beers for after the race!!

Have a great race!!

I have tested the trisuit. And found a nasty little label inside that needed to be trimmed. No wet-suit I am afraid. Lake tested at 70F (21C) today so I should be ok.

I HAVE NOT stocked up on post race beer yet! Shameful!! What am I thinking!
2014-06-04 12:11 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Hi all again (lost from previous thread....)
In brief, into triathlons since almost 2 years, did my first sprint last summer, aiming for a new sprint end of this month and Oly end of July. If I do not suffer too much, will attempt HIM 2015. Married for 17 years, kids 13 and 14, and working too many hours to be consistent with my training, but trying.

Learning much from this fun group (not only about tris but also about beer, I am a wine drinker, thought beer was dull and always pilsner, but hey, there is a huge world out there!).

Good luck Dave with your job! And look forward to read race reports from all of you!
2014-06-04 12:33 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

, Vermont
Wine is good! Nothing wrong with wine - antioxidants, right?! I have a case of red delivered to my house every other month! (hey, it's my only "subscription") haha

4/28 with a ride today. Same 20+ miler in 1:14. Sunny and rolling hills.

Interesting side note - I passed an opposite direction cyclist, waved hello and about 5 minutes later he pulled up next to me on the ride. Turns out he's a 1K2Go team cyclist and we had a great chat on the way back in including some training tips. The first half of my ride was not impressive at all - felt whipped, but chatting it up I turned the second half into my first even split ever on that route without "feeling it". I was pretty psyched! He mentioned they need more females on their team which happens to be sponsored by Felt - which happens to be the brand bike I have which happens to be the cyclist's opening line - "hey, nice Felt!" LOL Anyway, had to share because even when a workout might start out crappy, you never know what may come of it.

Cheers all!
Jenn
2014-06-04 12:35 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Did a 13km run today. I'm still having some knee trouble but it doesn't seem to be anything to be concerned about; nothing like it was at the beginning of the season.

I've been noticing some significant breakthroughs in the last few weeks. My comfortable swim pace is down to 1:43/100m from 2:10/100m back in February. I'm running a 5:19min/km in zone 2, which is a significant improvement from 3 months ago. Overall, I'm starting have more confidence in my ability to finish IMMT and finish well. So far my time goals have been almost spot on in my other events this year. My half marathon goal was 1:40 and I hit 1:45 twice. My Sprint Tri goal was 1:50 and I hit 1:51 (I would have nailed it had I not spent so much time in T1 looking for the clip on part of my HRM strap). I have an Olympic in two weeks and I'm confident I'll nail that goal too. All goes well I'll finish IMMT somewhere around 10hours. 

2014-06-04 12:42 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Wine is good! Nothing wrong with wine - antioxidants, right?! I have a case of red delivered to my house every other month! (hey, it's my only "subscription") haha 4/28 with a ride today. Same 20+ miler in 1:14. Sunny and rolling hills. Interesting side note - I passed an opposite direction cyclist, waved hello and about 5 minutes later he pulled up next to me on the ride. Turns out he's a 1K2Go team cyclist and we had a great chat on the way back in including some training tips. The first half of my ride was not impressive at all - felt whipped, but chatting it up I turned the second half into my first even split ever on that route without "feeling it". I was pretty psyched! He mentioned they need more females on their team which happens to be sponsored by Felt - which happens to be the brand bike I have which happens to be the cyclist's opening line - "hey, nice Felt!" LOL Anyway, had to share because even when a workout might start out crappy, you never know what may come of it. Cheers all! Jenn

That is better than any magazine "subscription"!!

Great job on the ride. It is always a good thing to ride/swim/bike with someone stronger to help push you!

2014-06-04 1:44 PM

User image

, Vermont
I feel that way about skiing too!
2014-06-04 1:47 PM

User image

So, a little check in. I am now in Riga and not at home in Norway. Work training. Today's work out consisted of a 3.2 km run around one of the nice parks here. Tomorrow I am planning a 4.8km run around one of the parks here.

But I have found some good things, first of all at least one of the other people here is also into triathlon and he is infact training for an Ironman. I am planning to pounce him in a coffee break tomorrow and see what wisdom he has to share. The other good thing I have found is beer. Unsurprisingly. I tried an unfinished beer yesterday that was very good, called Dumaku. I am planning to continue trying latvian beers. If anyone has any they recommend I would love to hear it.
2014-06-04 1:55 PM
in reply to: Craftyviking

User image

Adrian good luck on the race, let us know how it goes.

On the way to the pool now for my swim. 4/28
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51168 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.