BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-06-11 5:42 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Originally posted by KWDreamun

you know, the swim is keeping me out of the triathlon scene,

HI Karl,

Regarding the swim, I started at ground zero in January and I shamelessly glommed on to Scott's swim tips over the last few months. Think I owe him a case of beer or something for helping get me through my first OWS.

I also thought of a great "low stress" triathlon for you to consider, since you're a Florida Keys fan. Its a small local sprint/mini sprint held in Marathon Florida in May. I saw the sign for it when I was in the keys last month. It is held on Sombrero Beach, a beautiful shallow protected beach. The water is only 3-4ft deep and the swim is a down and back along the shore. Then you bike around the local streets and golf course, then a 5k run over the same turf. A breakfast on the beach follows the event. I'd imagine that you'd eat up the land portion of the event and its a gorgeous setting. Check out the videos on their website, www.maratri.com

I'm giving some serious thought to returning next year to do a few days of tarpon fishing and the sprint event in Marathon, then spending a few days in Key West to "recover".

Dave

2014-06-11 7:06 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

How do ya'll MAKE youself go out and run in the rain? Give me your ideas. I don't mind running in the rain if it starts while I'm out there but going out in it is different.

I don't mind running in the rain at all, unless it is pouring, but there are things I do have to MAKE myself do. I ask myself what kind of an athlete I want to be. You know, the only necessary difference between me or you and the most elite athletes is that they are faster (younger, fitter, better trained, etc.) There is no essential reason why I or you cannot strive to achieve their level of grit, courage, and intelligence (which includes not only racing and training strategies, but also awareness of nutrition, injury-prevention, etc.) You don't ever have to win a medal to have those qualities, and to be a champion.
So pick a role model you really admire, and know something about, and when you are feeling waffley or uncertain, ask yourself, "What would "x" do?
And what would your "x" do about swimming? Possibly, pick another sport (duathlon?) But maybe, if (s)he really wanted to do triathlon, (s)he would dig in deeper, find the classes & take them over & over again, be patient, swim, swim, swim, figure out how to incorporate his/her best possible swim into his/her race, and allow the struggle strengthen the qualities that make a champion.

2014-06-11 7:34 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

. . . I had gotten better and even did a modified Oly but then they put me into bi-lateral breathing and I lost it completely. I'll keep at it.

Karl,

Having the ability to breathe bi-laterally is a very important skill to have and is a technique I always encourage triathletes to learn.  However, if it is holding you back or creating a problem, I would suggest you don't worry about it right now.  There is plenty of time to learn bi-lateral breathing down the road after your swim becomes stronger.

My experience is that when someone struggles with bi-lateral breathing it is because a) they have insufficient body roll, and/or b) their swim fitness is not as good as it could be.  Please don't take that second part the wrong way.  I have worked with individuals that could run a sub 3-hour marathon that couldn't swim 100 yards.  Not because they were not fit, but because they had not developed swim fitness.  There is a difference.

I say stop beating yourself up over the swim.  Get in the pool and have some fun.  Don't worry about bi-lateral breathing and just swim a few laps.  Then a couple days later, do it again but maybe add a few more laps.  After a couple weeks of gradually adding a few laps, then we can talk about actual structured workouts that focus on technique and begin to build swim fitness.  If you are trying to "beat the water into submission" (a common problem of new or developing swimmers) then you are going to fatigue rapidly.  Once you are tired (or maybe thrashed would be a better word) there really is little sense in continuing as you have not yet committed proper stroke to muscle memory.  Your stroke breaks down when you are tired!  Have some fun, after a few laps as you tire, get out of the water and come back in a couple days.

If you are interested, send me a private message and we can work on developing your swim privately.

2014-06-11 8:49 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

HI Karl, Regarding the swim, I started at ground zero in January and I shamelessly glommed on to Scott's swim tips over the last few months. Think I owe him a case of beer or something for helping get me through my first OWS.

Dave

Thanks Dave, but all I did was give you a couple pointers and helped with a workout structure.  You are the one who actually did the work and put the time in doing laps in the pool.  You are only just beginning to tap in to your swim leg potential and I will be happy to talk about what is next to take your swimming to the next level.  This is where you take a couple minutes, reward yourself for a job well done . . . and then get back to it!  The other guys your racing against are still doing laps and they are still getting faster!

2014-06-11 10:06 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Coaches and Blindly Following Them

. . . I had gotten better and even did a modified Oly but then they put me into bi-lateral breathing and I lost it completely  . . ..

Hey Karl,

I am not "picking" on you!  I just saw something that is worthy of comment.  The comments I am about to make are not directed at you specifically, rather they are directed at ALL of us that call ourselves 'athletes.'

You mention "THEY" by which I assume you mean a coach or an instructor.  This is an area that many athletes struggle with.  Our coach or instructor says something so we just do it.  The coach is supposed to know what he/she is talking about, so we just blindly do what they say.

I have the opinion that, at the end of the day, we are each individually responsible for our own workouts.  More importantly we are responsible for knowing what we are doing and WHY we are doing it.  A coach on the other hand, has the responsibility to know and understand what they are asking you to do.  They should have the ability to explain what they want you to do and why they want you to do it in a clear and concise manner.  Most importantly, a coach should have mastered the ability to listening to his/her athletes.

I submit that if your coach(es) tell(s) you something you don't understand, or instructs you to do something that doesn't make sense or has you doing something new that is creating a problem, then it is incumbent upon you to talk to your coach.  I am not for a moment advocating arguing with your coach.  I suggest you should talk to them.  If you communicate via email or telephone with your coach, then you have a captive audience.  If you are in the pool, it can wait until the end of the workout, if you are at the track, it can wait until the workout is over.  There will be a time that you can privately talk to the coach and ask your questions or state your concerns.  If you coach is unwilling to talk to you, then perhaps it is time to find a different coach.

I am a big believer in having a coach if you truly want to get to the pinnacle of any sport.  My coaches understand that they work for me, not the other way around.  I value my coaches knowledge, experience and suggestions more than I am able to say.  However, when I have a question or I don't understand something, I EXPECT them to make it clear and offer a better explanation.

My hope is that you will never blindly do something a coach tells you to do and have a negative outcome.  Understanding what you are doing and knowing why you are doing it goes a long way towards avoiding the negative outcome.

2014-06-12 6:23 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Coaches and Blindly Following Them
Hey folks thanks for all the tips!!! Ya'll are making me want to get back in the pool, I had given up but now I think I'll keep trying
The swim instructor I had was FABULOUS, I thought the world of her. She swam competitively in college and her strength was technique, technique technique. She said my left arm was going out to the side, my pull was weak. She said I could cut down time by breathing not as often by X amount I forget those figures,

My kicking is aweful, I'm not coordinated to kick, use my arms, roll, breath etc. When I don't kick I do swim less tired. One funny/sad story, the 1st swim lesson she told us to warm up and do 8 laps of kicking, I was EXHAUSTED, I could kick in 1 place for a LONG time. I only got 4 I think. I had to dig deep to get them...

She always had different plans for every workout.
She had the A plan for the fish, the B for the good swimmers and the C plan for me and 1 other guy. Most of the folks are doing flip turns, shoot I had 6 year olds passing me
What I don't understand is why I can swim 25 yards easy, 50 I' m getting a little tired but by 100 I'm searching for the wall, how can you go from not tired to exhausted so fast.
Scott, I will send you a PM but give me a while to get back in the pool and then I'll have some data for you to use on me..... That is so kind of you

2014-06-12 7:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Karl: good to see you jumping back in.  Take it slow and be patient.  Set yourself a longer term goal, i.e., maybe sometime next year for a shorter distance triathlon.   The other thing you should try if you haven't is to swim with a wetsuit.  

Running in the rain:  the key for me is to put on my rain gear even when it is really warm out.  I have a jacket and pants from North Face that I bought like 20-25 years ago.   They still work great.   I know my feet will get wet, but not starting out a run soaking wet goes a long way.   Getting caught in the rain is another story - that is almost always a pleasant experience because I'm usually overheated.

Edited by dcon 2014-06-12 7:35 AM
2014-06-12 11:14 AM

User image

Spencer, New York

My kicking is aweful, I'm not coordinated to kick, use my arms, roll, breath etc. When I don't kick I do swim less tired. One funny/sad story, the 1st swim lesson she told us to warm up and do 8 laps of kicking, I was EXHAUSTED, I could kick in 1 place for a LONG time. I only got 4 I think. I had to dig deep to get them...

[/QUOTE ]

Here is a good place to ask Scott about kicking drills. I was fortunate enough to take some classes with an excellent Total Immersion master coach. His take on kicking is exactly the same as what you express on your website: kicking is for rotation, not for propulsion.
However, my BT plan sometimes includes a number of kicking laps. At first I just ignored that part, but as it seems that it might have some recovery function I started including, where the kicking is called for, a bit of the following: kicking on each side in "Skate position", both with head up and head buried, with fins because otherwise I'd never get across the pool; also a drill I learned just kicking for rotation, face down no arm stroke, allowing the small flick kick to rotate the hips and the hips to start rotating the upper body. (but you don't really accomplish laps with this.)
I never know if the side kicking has any value, but I did learn from it that my left leg has much less strength and intelligence than my right.
My question to you Scott is what you would recommend doing where the plan calls for kicking laps? Or is there a purpose to them?

Deb
2014-06-12 12:15 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Tri Clinic and Open Water swim clinic this morning...
Hey Scott,

I spent my pool workout today practicing sighting with "crocodile eyes". It feels a lot better than whatever craziness I was using before. Thanks!

My first Triathlon is Saturday. I'm a little less nervous now.

Scott I.
2014-06-12 1:57 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Enjoy the race Scott, we are looking forward to a great RR!!!!!
2014-06-12 4:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try

My kicking is awful, I'm not coordinated to kick, use my arms, roll, breath etc. When I don't kick I do swim less tired. One funny/sad story, the 1st swim lesson she told us to warm up and do 8 laps of kicking, I was EXHAUSTED, I could kick in 1 place for a LONG time. I only got 4 I think. I had to dig deep to get them...

Here is a good place to ask Scott about kicking drills. I was fortunate enough to take some classes with an excellent Total Immersion master coach. His take on kicking is exactly the same as what you express on your website: kicking is for rotation, not for propulsion. However, my BT plan sometimes includes a number of kicking laps. At first I just ignored that part, but as it seems that it might have some recovery function I started including, where the kicking is called for, a bit of the following: kicking on each side in "Skate position", both with head up and head buried, with fins because otherwise I'd never get across the pool; also a drill I learned just kicking for rotation, face down no arm stroke, allowing the small flick kick to rotate the hips and the hips to start rotating the upper body. (but you don't really accomplish laps with this.) I never know if the side kicking has any value, but I did learn from it that my left leg has much less strength and intelligence than my right. My question to you Scott is what you would recommend doing where the plan calls for kicking laps? Or is there a purpose to them? Deb

Hi Deb,

You mentioned a number of different things - kicking, Total Immersion, using fins, BT plans, drills, and then you posed a specific question.  I apologize in advance as I want to comment on each of those items so this post is likely  going to get a bit long.

First, let's talk about kicking.  Back in the day, at the height of my competitive swimming career, I was putting in 12-15,000 meters per day, seven days a week, +/- 330 days a year.  That works out to more than 360,000 meters per month.  Across nearly 10-years of that kind of volume, my recollection is that we did not do 500 meters per month on a kick board - EVER!  That was for a swimmer training for swim meets where the only consideration was to go as fast as possible.  How much less important is the kick for a triathlete who's only concern during the swim should be conservation of energy?

Next, it is very important to understand that you are going to get very little, IF ANY, propulsion from your kick efforts.  When I was swimming, I was fortunate enough to be a member of a world record setting 4 x 200 meter freestyle relay.  I used a 2-beat kick - that is essentially the same as NO kick!

The sole purpose of the kick for a triathlete is balance and to drive body rotation.  You can't work on that skill on a kick board.

Carl, you mentioned that you were EXHAUSTED after very little kicking.  That is a common problem among newer swimmers, ESPECIALLY among triathletes whose first language was running or cycling.  Runners and cyclists develop power by bending their knees.  They naturally try to transfer that technique into the pool while they kick.  To compound the problem, most runners and cyclists do not have very much flexibility in their ankles.  When they kick from the knee with limited ankle flexibility, they can actually generate "negative" propulsion.  I have actually seen people kick and move backwards.

What swimmers in general, and triathletes specifically need to focus on is a proper kick.  One that is streamlined, and one that expends as little energy as possible.  To accomplish that, I recommend a simple drill that is guaranteed to make you feel foolish but which will develop a proper kick in only a few minutes.  For the record, this is one of only a couple drills anyone will ever hear me recommend (Opps!  I think I just foreshadowed my feelings about drills.)

Kicking Drill -

1. Sit on the first step in the pool and stretch your legs out straight in front of you (if no steps sit on deck).
  2. Lean back as far as possible, preferably to where your body is straight.
  3. POINT YOUR TOES towards the opposite side of the pool.
  4. Begin to kick, keeping your feet "in contact" with each other - meaning the heel of one foot never goes above the top of the other foot.
  5. DON'T bend your knees.  You can see this!  DON'T bend your knees.
  6. The best way to describe this is you are "kicking" from your hip.
  7. The only flex, anywhere on your leg, should be at your ankles.
  8. To visualize this, hold your arms straight out in front of you, now "kick" with your arms, keep the elbows straight and allow the wrists to naturally flex as your arms move up and down.  You want the same motion in your legs.
  9. Strive for no splash and any bubbles to be pushing away from you.
  10. Do the drill for +/- 5 minutes, repeat 2-3 times per week for a couple weeks.

If anyone has any question about thi drill, please ask.

Let's move on to Total Immersion.

Simply stated, I am not a fan of Total Immersion (TI), however, there are some useful aspects within Total Immersion for newer or 'challenged' swimmers.  Let me try and explain that seeming contradiction.  First, in my opinion, Total Immersion over emphasizes front quadrant swimming.  Paraphrased, front quadrant swimming is where one arm is ALWAYS in front of you.  To achieve that, you have to have a significant amount of glide in your stroke.  Taking it to the level that TI advocates will result in a VERY low stroke count (number of strokes per lap).  While it may, at first glance, appear that efficiency of the stroke is increased, the reality is that you cross a point where low stroke count negates any gains by the increase in efficiency.  I would be nice if I only had to take one stroke per 25 yard length of the pool.  Unfortunately, that simply is not realistic  In the same way, TI's low stroke count, or turnover rate, is not realistic, especially for open water swim events.  The other BIG problem I have with TI is that it is slow.  TI advocates will argue that point all day long.  I counter with, "Can you name ONE active swimmer using TI methods that is competing at the national or international level?"  They never can.

There are however, a couple of redeeming qualities of Total Immersion - specifically for newer swimmers or those swimmers that are struggling to progress.  If you are currently swimming at +/- a 2:15/100 pace or slower, this is for you.  Most new swimmers tend to "fight" the water and they share the common belief that "faster is faster."  Let me explain - newer swimmers tend to thrash around quite a lot.  They have a great deal of splash, their form is generally poor and they expend a tremendous amount of energy to do . . . not very much.  As they progress and begin to smooth out and develop some technique, they tend to mistakenly believe if they do things faster, they will go faster through the water.  I call this "Beating the water into submission," and it is very inefficient, resulting in a VERY tired swimmer, very quickly.  One of the things that Total Immersion does is to slow things down, teach streamlining and balance.  For the new or struggling swimmer, Total Immersion may be the answer to get you started swimming properly.  However, in my opinion, once you have progressed to 2:15/100 or faster, you are beyond what TI can do for you.

Let me be clear - there is no replacement for "eyes on deck."  Having a live coach spending one on one time with you is the fastest way to become an accomplished swimmer.  Unfortunately, that is not always possible.  Absent a good relationship with someone that can help using video tape etc., then TI is better than nothing.  In that sense, I consider Total Immersion a 'last resort.'

Enough said about TI.

Now real quickly, my opinion on the use of fins and drills in training.  In nearly 15 years of competitive swimming with over 50,000,000 meters in the pool training, I NEVER, not once, NEVER put on a pair of fins.  Have times changed in the years since I hung up my competitive Speedo?  Yes, absolutely.  Yet, nobody has ever been able to give me valid rationale for the use of fins.  They say they increase flexibility in the ankles.  I agree, they do - but you can do the same thing, much more quickly, with a targeted stretching program.  It is said they increase strength in the ankle.  Again, I agree, they do - but here again, you can do the same thing, FAR more quickly, with a targeted program in the gym.  My favorite one is that using fins increases you speed through the water so you experience the catch at the higher speed.  That is all well and good except you don't get to use the fins in a race.  You develop feel for the water and a proper catch by swimming - at whatever speed you swim at.  Artificially increasing your speed through the use of fins does absolutely NOTHING for developing a feel for the water or a proper catch at your 'normal' speed.  I see no value in the use of fins.  If anything, I think using fins may actually slow progress down.

This is an area where I believe coaches are doing a dis-service to their swimmers.  I kind of feel that coaches are often overworked and have so many swimmers in the water that they simply don't have time to dedicate to proper stroke instruction so they resort to "toys" and drills.  Back when I was swimming we used paddles and ankle bands during our base phase as we worked on stoke technique.  Then we VERY rarely used a kick board for a kick set.  That was it.  Now days, there are paddles and pull buoys, snorkels and fins, and you name it.  I have seen swimmers show up at a workout with a backpack full of toys.  They use those toys during training in various drills.  I do believe that drills OCCASIONALLY have their place.  However, a drill should be specific to the swimmer in question.  It should be one that the swimmer can EASILY see if he/she is doing properly, and a drill should only be a few minutes of a workout.  When a workout becomes a third drills, a quarter kicking, another quarter using fins and such with the final amount of time actually swimming, something is wrong.

If you want to swim fast, then swim.  Swim lots.  When you are done swimming a lot, swim some more.  Then do it again tomorrow.  That is the secret to swimming fast.  Once you have developed proper stroke technique and adequate swim fitness, you should strive for 3-4 times per week in the pool for at least 60-90 minutes per session.  To become an accomplished, fast swimmer, four times per week is good, five is even better if you can manage it.

Having a written training plan is always preferable to having no plan.  Here on BT there are a number of plans available and most, if not all, of the BT training plans were written by Mike Ricci.  Mike is the current USAT National Coach of the Year so he clearly knows what he is talking about.  That said, the plans here on BT can best be described as GENERAL plans, meaning they are generic and were not developed specifically for YOU.  As such, even if they say 'beginner' they may not truly take into account an aspiring athlete who is actually a novice.  Nor do they take into account the intermediate or advanced athlete that may choose to go with a 'lower' plan.  If the plans have one failing, it is in the swimming portion in my opinion as they are often heavy on kicking sets.  If you look at Mike's bio you will see that he was a swimming coach at one time.  I believe that swimmers and triathletes training for the swim are training for vastly different events and as such, the training needs to be done differently.  My opinion is for triathlon, that means less kicking and more swimming.  The BT plans all follow typical periodization schedules and if you follow them, you WILL progress.  I think a one-on-one coaching relationship is the best way to go, but not everyone can afford that.  The Beginner Triathlete Plans are very good for what they are.  As I said, having a written plan is better than just guessing.

Now Deb, finally, to answer your question, "My question to you Scott is what you would recommend doing where the plan calls for kicking laps? Or is there a purpose to them?"  You probably know what my answer to your question is going to be if you have read this book.  I would substitute swimming for the kicking sets.  I can't really answer specifically what the replacement swim sets would look like not knowing which plan you are following or where you are in the plan.  Let me know which plan and where you are at and we can work out an alternative to the kicking.  As to improving your overall swim; if it is possible, I would work with a coach or instructor on occasion to make sure your stroke technique is correct.  If you don't have a coach and can have someone video tape you in the pool, I will be happy to take a look and offer suggestions for improvement.

Hopefully that answered your question, plus a lot of other stuff that you may or may not have been interested in.

Edited by k9car363 2014-06-12 7:34 PM

2014-06-12 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Scott you just made my day! I have a size 13 foot and go nowhere when I kick, but I feel comfortable swimming and use my kick to stabilize my body. I may not be able to hit 2:15/100 in the pool, but I can do better than that in open water and I'm OK with that, I can do 1.2 miles and come out feeling good. I love to swim, but just don't have the time to swim consistently right now, so I try to focus on running and biking.
2014-06-12 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey everyone!  I'm falling behind again.  Lots going on at work plus trying to get ready for my race on Saturday - it's a biathlon, 4 mi run followed by 20 mi bike.  I expect it to be a small race (Race for the Cure and a pretty popular local triathlon are also going on this weekend) so there's a good chance I'll finish last or close to it but I think I'm ready for it.  And the weather should be just about perfect after a week of nothing but rain. 

Steve - sorry to hear about the accident.  Hope you're recovering well!

Scott - I'm going to have to check out your website I think.  I've been feeling the urge to get back in the pool (after not swimming for about 9 months!).  There's a triathlon next month that I'm considering but don't want to commit to until I know how much "swim fitness" I've lost.  I feel like I'm an OK swimmer, just really slow.  And the triathlon is a lake swim so that adds another worry for me.  I'm going to get back in the pool on Sunday and see how things go - hope you don't mind if I ask for some advice afterwards.

Good luck to anyone else who's racing this weekend!
Janet

2014-06-12 6:47 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Hey Scott, I spent my pool workout today practicing sighting with "crocodile eyes". It feels a lot better than whatever craziness I was using before. Thanks! My first Triathlon is Saturday. I'm a little less nervous now.

Scott I.

Scott,

If you have one more opportunity to get in the pool before your tri this weekend, I suggest you do a bit of work on the head up water polo stroke just so you are comfortable doing it.  Yes, it is slower, but it is a good skill to have available.  If the water is rough, by which I mean more than +/- a foot of swell, which can easily happen in the ocean, a lake, or a river if the wind comes up, sighting with crocodile eyes will not serve you very well.  Nice to have the extra arrow in your quiver so to speak.

Good luck!  Have a great race!

2014-06-12 7:46 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Hey everyone!  I'm falling behind again.  Lots going on at work plus trying to get ready for my race on Saturday - it's a biathlon, 4 mi run followed by 20 mi bike.  I expect it to be a small race (Race for the Cure and a pretty popular local triathlon are also going on this weekend) so there's a good chance I'll finish last or close to it but I think I'm ready for it.  And the weather should be just about perfect after a week of nothing but rain. 

Steve - sorry to hear about the accident.  Hope you're recovering well!

Scott - I'm going to have to check out your website I think.  I've been feeling the urge to get back in the pool (after not swimming for about 9 months!).  There's a triathlon next month that I'm considering but don't want to commit to until I know how much "swim fitness" I've lost.  I feel like I'm an OK swimmer, just really slow.  And the triathlon is a lake swim so that adds another worry for me.  I'm going to get back in the pool on Sunday and see how things go - hope you don't mind if I ask for some advice afterwards.

Good luck to anyone else who's racing this weekend!
Janet

Janet,

Good luck on your race this weekend!

I will be happy to answer any questions you have.  Nothing makes me happier then helping someone become a more proficient swimmer.

2014-06-12 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4996430

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Home,
Made it back from Boise after a seven hour drive. It didn't matter as I slept most of the way.

Saw my local doc today and he pretty much confirmed that I'm out for the next 8 weeks. Oh well. Recovery training plan starts tomorrow!

Keep training!

Steve

2014-06-12 8:56 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Home,

Originally posted by lutzman

Made it back from Boise after a seven hour drive. It didn't matter as I slept most of the way.

Saw my local doc today and he pretty much confirmed that I'm out for the next 8 weeks. Oh well. Recovery training plan starts tomorrow! Keep training!

Steve

Hey Steve -

Glad you made it home.  Keep positive - it could have been a LOT worse.

2014-06-12 8:59 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Hi gang,

I'm sidelined with a calf strain, so no run or bike training for me right now. Looks like I can root from the sidelines though, since we're in full swing on the race circuit.

Janet - Good luck in the biathlon.

EL Scott - As a fellow rookie, can't wait to hear about your first tri experience.

Best of luck to everyone else who is racing.

Dave

2014-06-13 5:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by lutzman

Saw my local doc today and he pretty much confirmed that I'm out for the next 8 weeks. Oh well. Recovery training plan starts tomorrow!

Keep training!

Steve

Happy to hear you made it home, take it easy and recover quickly!
2014-06-13 5:59 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Steve, gald you are home, 7 hours in a car w/ broke ribs, ouchie. We'll be praying for you. By the way, how is your bike?

Scott, thanks so much the swim commentary. In our Master's swim we always did a few warm up laps, then the dreaded kickboard, by the time I was finished w/ that beast I was exhausted. Yea I had to buy fins too and gosh it was fun feeling like I was going so fast, but you are right, when I took them off, I sucked. You nailed it, if anyone is going to be a good swimmer, you have to swim a LOT! There is a guy here in town 19 yo that did the last IM Kona. He started behind the pros and passed some of them in the water and yes I talked w/ him and he is swimming 10,000 - 15,000 per day too

This goes hand in hand, it you want to be a good swimmer..SWIM, We are fortunate to have a silver medal for the 1 mile run and he is also the Canadian world record holder for 1 mile. He gave a seminar on how he trained, how many miles per week do you think he trained just to run 1 mile...he averaged 110 - 120 miles per week for years. Thanks for giving me a kick in the pants, I just need to swim more. When I was getting better I wa swimming 5X per week, when it dropped to 2X is when I really started sucking at swimming. Swimming 30 minutes is MUCH harder than runing 2 hours and when I'm finished swimming, I could eat an elephant!

Janet, good luck on the bi this weekend, please give us a RR

Dave, what did you do to your calf? Hope it gets well soon.

Tomorrow wife and I are running to a 5K race (I will run it but won't race it, hoping to be around 23 - 24 for a finish time), then we'll run home for a total of about 11 miles.
2014-06-13 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Good luck Janet, EL Scott and Karl!!  (and anyone else who is racing)

Glad to hear you made it home Steve!

I will be doing an Oly on Sunday.  I should be okay for the swim and bike assuming the weather clears up a little.  The run will be interesting.   I tore some muscle that attaches at the top of my iliac crest (highest point of the pelvis) about 6 weeks ago.   The doc figured it was a small muscle tear based on my mobility and told me not to do it if it hurt.  Fortunately, the only thing causing pain was running and I kept cycling and swimming.   All told I have logged a total of 13 km of slow  runs in the past 6 weeks - all in trial sessions to see if I was ready to resume running.   My last test was a couple days ago and I was fine while running on the treadmill for 3km.   Other muscles tightened up when I was done, but they were fine the next day.   So, I am hoping to be able to slowly run the 10 km at the end of the Oly, but will stop if it becomes painful.

2014-06-13 8:09 AM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Scott, Thanks for taking time to help give us all valuable swim tips, for me that body roll thing is something i didn't realize was so important. I am at the 2:15 mark and feel like i can do better, but until now didn't understand the volume of work that it takes to get past that point. Now i am not going to just jump into mega yards but without question will start increasing my volume. Last time out i did 1000 yards and considered that my long swim. LOL anyway can you suggest a progression for me? I can get to a pool or lake any day of the week. Having expertise such as yours is so important. My goal this year is to progress to an Olympic event and ultimately get to a half iron.
2014-06-13 8:56 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Steve, Good luck with your recovery.... I hate broken ribs. I will be thinking and praying that you will heal quickly and you can get a lot of rest.
2014-06-13 2:06 PM

Glad you made it home Steve. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Sandra
2014-06-13 2:13 PM

Scott,

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information. I am new to the sport of triathlon and like many others, swimming is my nemesis. I have tried to read and read and then read some more on swimming techniques, have watched videos on drills, etc. What you wrote made more sense to me than anything else I have read so far. So tomorrow when I get in the pool I am just going to swim...then swim some more. I am also going to add a day of swimming to my training. I am just going to swim and not overthink everything I am doing.

Thanks so much for your invaluable insight.

Sandra
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48170 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51168 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31