2007-03-02 9:30 AM
in reply to: #641608

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Subject: RE: COgirl's Group - FULL
Hey Girls,

I posted this on the mail forum but here is it as well; what saddles do you use on your bikes? I need to find a saddle that does not make me cripple after a ride. The saddle i have right now makes me almost cry even with a good pair of biking shorts. The very female area is mostly affected

Thanks,

Z.

2007-03-02 9:43 AM
in reply to: #708807

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-03-02 8:30 AM Hey Girls, I posted this on the mail forum but here is it as well; what saddles do you use on your bikes? I need to find a saddle that does not make me cripple after a ride. The saddle i have right now makes me almost cry even with a good pair of biking shorts. The very female area is mostly affected Thanks, Z.

Some options:

I LOVE this one: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=5802&subcategory_ID=5211 

There is also a "tri" version of the same saddle with more gel in the nose of the seat: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=21203&subcategory_ID=5211

No they aren't cheap.  BUT there are some things that you just can't skimp on....running shoes and a saddle!  You spend a lot of time on them!  Watch for sales too. 

OR, you can get something like this:  http://www.desotosport.com/products/product.asp?Category=Accessories&ProdID=SPW This is a good thing for long races to put over your seat. 

In addition, keep riding....there is an adjustment period, but it certainly sounds like the saddle you have is NOT working for you!  I tried 2 other saddles before I found the Terry Butterfly.

2007-03-07 9:55 AM

User image

MotoQueen
I got a serfas saddle when I did the century ride. It is $45 and I have found it to be very comfortable. If you can ride on it for 100 miles and not hurt in "those" places, that is good. Here is a link to the seat at REC.

http://www.rei.com/product/48017054.htm

Kendra
2007-03-07 1:42 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

I have heard good things about Serfas saddles!

Z - did you decide on one yet?

How's everyone doing?  Zoya says it is snowing in the east.  It is BEAUTIFUL here (finally!).  It is supposed to be high 50s-low 60s with no precip for the next 10 days! 

2007-03-07 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
SC

Wahoo! I bought a bike, a KHS Flite 300. He's adding on clipless pedals and taking the clip pedals off. I am really psyched to start riding. I also bought a helmet, (It was originally $140 and he only charged me $80) He also is not charging me for the bike fitting. He said that is included with the bike sale. He told me several times when I start riding to ride with a group and not alone.

After reading Z's post I'm wondering if I should look at buying a different saddle, yikes that sounds very painful.

I also bought a Polar F11 HRM. I've been playing around with it and learning how to use it.

Unfortunately, this week has been a complete wash. My son has the flu and had a high temp of 104 on Mon. His temp has gone down but he has a cough and his nose is stuffy. I was supposed to go for my bike fitting this am but I had to stay home with him. I haven't done any training since Sat. aaagggghhhh! The 3 of us have been couped up at home since Mon. I'm just praying that my dd doesn't get sick.

Kendra, Did you mention you have a race coming up in March? I couldn't remember when you said it is. I wanted to make sure and wish you Good luck! before your race.

I hope everyone is doing well and is training more than me this week! (which wouldn't be too tough)

Mel

2007-03-07 3:02 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Congrats Mel!  Sounds awesome!  I'm glad they are doing the fit for free.....

Usually the "stock" saddle (what comes with the bike) is awful.  But try it out, you never know! 

And no worries about missing your workouts.  I am in the same boat and it feels awful, but get back to it when your life is a little more settled!  Kids come first  

Yeah, Kendra, what IS the date of that 1/2 marathon.....and why can I not remember that?

Z
2007-03-07 3:08 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
What is up with all the kiddos coughing and snouting? My kiddo has the same symptoms. it must be weather.

So, on the health topic here I've had insomnia for 3 weeks. I can not sleep with some sort of sleep aids. It never happened to me before on a continuous basis. I'm NOT enjoying it! I'm not sure what do do, my doc. gave me Ambien but she told me not to take it every day. When i do not take it i can not sleep. I'm only having one cup of coffee a day.... This insomnia messes up my entire schedule. I have to skip my workouts sometimes because of it and I'm one grumpy person.

Anyone has any advise? I'm out of ideas.

Z.
2007-03-07 7:03 PM
in reply to: #715168

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

zschaller - 2007-03-07 2:08 PM So, on the health topic here I've had insomnia for 3 weeks. I can not sleep with some sort of sleep aids. It never happened to me before on a continuous basis. I'm NOT enjoying it! I'm not sure what do do, my doc. gave me Ambien but she told me not to take it every day. When i do not take it i can not sleep. I'm only having one cup of coffee a day.... This insomnia messes up my entire schedule. I have to skip my workouts sometimes because of it and I'm one grumpy person. Anyone has any advise? I'm out of ideas. Z.

interesting.  are you stressed?  Is it worse if you don't workout?  Have you tried either valerian or melatonin? (just a thought!).  And maybe you need a thyroid check! 

those are my thoughts.....keep me posted!

Z
2007-03-07 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Valerian does not help, melatonin helps but I've heard it stops working after a while? Stressed? May be... just busy life in general i guess. Workouts do not seem to affect my sleep disorder.

I will try some relaxation CDs tonight. Thanks!
2007-03-07 9:18 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

OK, I just wanted to say "hello"! I am always checking out Cathy's logs as she is such a seasoned triathlete and I am in awe of her dedication with all she has going on, plus a baby under a year! I just thought I should let you all know that I have been reading your thread for awhile now and get inspiration from all your training. I told Cathy I had been lurking around her mentor group and she said I could stop by and say "hi" sometime. I joined a mentor group, but ours isn't very active and I really like the fact that this group is all women and many (maybe all) of you are mothers and get your training in with small kids.

My name is Jill and I live in Texas. My husband and I did our first tri six years ago and then took a break until this past fall when we started up again. We each did 2 sprints this past fall and just completed our first ever half marathon in February. We have already signed up for an Oly in April and a HIM next October, so I guess you could say I am hooked! I am still very much a novice at all of this and this site has been so helpful for me to learn all the lingo associated with the sport, plus to improve my training techniques. Is it OK if I join you all on occasion to have a solid group to check in with?

2007-03-07 10:35 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Zoya - one other thing.....there is a new med called Rozerem - I'm a nurse practitioner which is why I know this (but I'll officially say that I'm not giving advice here )  I've seen it work well and it is not addictive....but that is really meant for long term sleep problems.  I am hoping that yours is NOT long term.  Hang in there.

HI JILL!    I personally would love it if you would chime in.  I think you would have a lot to add here! 

Z
2007-03-08 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Hello Jill, nice to "meet you"!

Z.
2007-03-08 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Thanks for the welcome! I forgot to mention that I have three kids ages 8, 5 and 15 months! I work part time and thankfully have my parents here in town to help me out with the kids on occasion.
2007-03-08 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Jill, are you doing any races between April and October?  Or is it too hot in TX in summer?

Z-did you get any sleep? 

Mel-bike fit yet?  You must be so anxious to ride it!

Heather - how's it going with your exercising now?  are you totally cleared? 

Kaci-did you find that HRM yet?

Kendra-maybe that brick would work after your upcoming 1/2 mary

I'm going to a conference today and tomorrow and I'm a speaker tomorrow.   I  haven't done that before, so I'm a bit nervous!  Still struggling to fit in my workouts due to the grant proposal....it will be totally done by the end of March, so at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Z
2007-03-08 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Got sleep with melatonin!
2007-03-09 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
SC

Jill, Welcome! I love your avatar, your kids are so cute.

Cathy, I had to reschedule my bike fit for next Fri. The owner of the store is a full time firefighter so I had to work with his schedule. I also need to get a pair of shoes before the fitting. He sells shoes but there wasn't a really big selection.

Good luck on your speech today! I hope it goes well.

Zoya, I'm glad you were able to get sleep. I've had problems with sleep on and off. I have hypothyroidism(slow thyroid). My dh has chronic insomnia for years and he only gets about 4 hours of sleep a night.

My dd caught the flu from my ds and now my dh is sick too. We are going to the Dr. this morning for their 3 yr check up.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Mel

Z
2007-03-09 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Mel, good luck with Dr. appt!

Ladies, who raced before, so my first race is coming up. Any advise on how one distributes the intensity? It is a very small race (Try the Tri) so my question is should i go all our right away or take it easy and see how it goes? I definitely raced before, but it was swimming only and not all three sports bundled together!

Z.
2007-03-09 8:17 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Welcome Jill, glad to have you as a member of the group. I think I'm the old lady of the group with two grown kids and two grand kids. But age is all relative, isn't it.

Sorry everyone is having sick baby problems. It is the time of year with the crazy weather changes and we all have trouble adjusting. This too will pass. I must say I very impressed by the workouts that you all get in while dealing with children. I don't have any at home and still have trouble getting all my workouts in. I guess if it's not kids, theres always something else that tries to get in the way.

I feel old today after my swim workout yesterday. My shoulders are screaming this morning. Of course it could have been from spend the last two days almost completely at the computer at work. That would do it also.

My 1/2 mary is coming up on March 25th in Central Park, New York. It is the More Magazine Marathon and I am doing it as a team where we each do a half. Here is the link. http://www.more.com/more/category.jsp?categoryid=/templatedata/more...

There are four of us flying up on Friday the 23, we plan on taking in a Broadway show, visit ground zero and walk our feet off. It will be fun. This group is trying to get me to do the 1/2 mary in Las Vegas in December. We shall see.

I have sleep problems. I think it comes with motherhood. I've used Ambien and use it very sparingly. If I can get one decent night of sleep a week I'm happy. I notice the later you eat in the evening, the harder it is to sleep, so take a look at your eating patterns. Just a thought.

Well, I have rambled on enough. Ta ta!

Kendra
2007-03-09 8:28 AM

User image

MotoQueen
Cathy, good luck with the speech. I had to do my first one several years ago and my hands were shaking so much I could not see the notes on my paper. I then put my paper down ontop of the projector and when I flipped the page, I covered the projection. The good news, I survived and have done quite a few since then. It doesn't get easier for me, but I know that I will survive.

You'll do great.

Kendra
2007-03-09 10:23 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Thanks for the welcome!

Cathy - I am doing other races between April and October, I just haven't put them on my list of races. I am doing a sprint in May and I am doing the Danskin in June. I don't have anything on the calendar for July or August, but I am planning on doing some races.

Zoya - good luck on your first triathlon! My guess is that you will be so excited (and a bit nervous) at the start, that it will be hard to hold yourself back. However, I would suggest going with the enthusiasm at the start, but don't push yourself past that. You want to have energy for the full race. Good luck!

Our spring break is next week and we are headed to Colorado. We are leaving in the morning and are planning to camp at Palo Duro Canyon for a night and then on to see the Sand Dunes. Eventually we will make our way to Vail and stay for a few nights there. I think we will ski some, but we skiied at Christmas and the snow was NOT good. I am hoping it will be better. I will have access to a computer by mid week, but will be out of contact for a few days. Good luck everyone with your training and have a great weekend! 

2007-03-09 10:56 AM

User image

MotoQueen
I've been meaning to ask about shoes in the swim portion. What do you recommend? I know I hate the way the bottom of a lake feels and my guess barefoot is not really the way to go. I would also imagine that I would want to practice with the footwear prior to the race.

K

2007-03-09 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi girlies sorry I have not posted. Unfortunately I had to leave early for my FL trip. We got a call on Tues to come right away and my family member passed away within minutes of my arrival at her house on Wed. am. We drove all night to get there I think she was waiting for me. So after much of an emotional day I am in one of the most beautiful places in the world (Sanibel Island, FL) to train. I rode 17 miles on Thursday and walked/jogged 4 miles on the beach this morning. I have been on the beach alot watching the sunsets and the sunrises. I will ride agian in the AM.

I hope you are all doing well. I am so thankful that I am healthy and can train for something like this. (I am feeling mushy)

Hi JILL!

Talk to you soon-driving home on Sunday.

Heather
2007-03-09 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Kendra - I have only done 3 sprint tri's ever, but I haven't ever seen anyone with any type of foot gear. I have done 2 that were OWS and you had to run down a little trail to get in and out of the lake. Getting into the lake without anything on your feet was tough as there were LOTS of rocks and it hurt. Fortunately they let us wade out slowly into the water and then when the gun started the race, we were already waist deep in the water. You just grin and bear it with the yuck on the bottom!
2007-03-10 9:56 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Hi All!  Looks like everyone is doing well! 

Mel: man, you can't get a break!  LOL!  Good luck with the bike fit.  You can order shoes online.....I would think that there HAS to be a shoe size conversion chart somewhere!

Zoya: Race intensity.....I think I'll post a separate note about that next.  Are you getting more sleep?

Kendra: TWO WEEKS baby!  woo hoo!  Your trip sounds like it will be nice.  I would love to go to Ground Zero.  A friend of mine from childhood died in the WTC.  His sister is my best friend....she goes every year (lives in CA).  I need to make that trip, but I've avoided it. 

And I agree with Jill, no shoes on the swim!  You'll only hit bottom at the beginning and end, but then you have to battle rough surfaces to the transition area!  If you can practice in open water before your race, I HIGHLY recommend that.

Jill:  The snow is GREAT in the mountains now, the mountains got clobbered with snow in the past month.  It's warm up there too right now!  Let me know when you'll be in Vail! 

Heather: I'm so sorry about the loss of your family member, but I'm thankful that you made it to say goodbye!  That must have been very difficult.  On the other hand, it sounds like you are doing well!

My speech went well.  I was only nervous the first minute.  then I chilled

Edited by COgirl 2007-03-10 9:58 AM
2007-03-10 10:02 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

RACING!  Good question Zoya.   What are the distances for this race?  Since you are a good swimmer, I'd take that as fast as you can, but get in a rhythm to start.  For the bike, take the downhills and flats STRONG - get in your big gear.  Try to keep your cadence at 90 or more, but no gear mashing!  Meaning, don't get in too high of a gear and use up all your leg muscle strength and have nothing left for the run.  Then on the run, push it!  (but not to the point of feeling like you are going to fall over! ).  Uphills, smaller steps....downhills, TAKE IT!

YOU WILL OWN THE COURSE! 

Before your race (and during), think positive.  Your attitude is a huge part of your performance!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » COgirl's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 34