BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-01-31 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1185931

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full
jenado - 2008-01-31 10:10 AM

question: when do you all do your training? mornings? i've been an evening gal myself, i like to exercise right before dinner, but i really need to start running outside and at that time (6pm or so) it's already dark.

for me it's not a question of work schedule, since my work = writing, and i can do it whenever i want. but the tradeoff work-wise is that i concentrate better in the morning. anyway, just wondering what other people do.

I'm all over the board - I'm a college prof, so my work = writing too (although I have to teach occasionally...) I think better in the morning, but I also like to workout in the morning. Evening is too messy with getting my kids home/fed/ready for tomorrow. Yesterday I went running after my afternoon class (~ 2:30 pm) and it was great - I was shot for the day anyway. Today I went to spin class after taking the kids to school/daycare (~8:30) and now I'm at work. Tomorrow I plan on running before everyone wakes up (~5:30).

How's that for no answer at all?

2008-01-31 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1185931

User image

Expert
Virginia

jenado - 2008-01-31 10:10 AM question: when do you all do your training? mornings? i've been an evening gal myself, i like to exercise right before dinner, but i really need to start running outside and at that time (6pm or so) it's already dark. for me it's not a question of work schedule, since my work = writing, and i can do it whenever i want. but the tradeoff work-wise is that i concentrate better in the morning. anyway, just wondering what other people do.

I do both mornings and evenings.  Just depends on what's going on I guess.  If I know I have stuff to do after work or need some free time or it'll be a long work day (and I can guess that ahead of time), then I try to make sure I do a morning workout that day.  If it's a big workout, then I'll do a morning and evening workout set sometimes instead of doing it all in the evening.  Sometimes I am exhausted from travel from work and I let myself sleep in the extra hour and just do an evening workout the next day.  If I get to bed late - it's not gonna happen in the morning so evening only.  So I guess I just kind of take it as I go and plan ahead as much as I can, but know that it changes and try to be flexible with it.  I do like the morning workouts b/c I start the day much more refreshed and I have more energy and I find it helps me make better eating decisions all day long.  As far as light vs. dark well either way, it'll be dark for me right now.  My morning workous mean i'm up at 5am and I don't get off work and into workout clothes until 5:30/6pm.  But my gym has a nice area to walk/run indoors, so it makes it a little easier until the sun is up more. 

2008-01-31 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1089758

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

x3 on the all over the place workouts.

I schedule myself in at 11 AM on Tuesdays (work the 11A to 7 P shift that day) for swim and off on Thurs so I can swim again and go to the core endurance class.  My bike and run time is mostly after work or the Sunday morning before church which means getting better organized to be ready for church on time...Most of my running is a loop variation in my neighborhood and currently the bike is on a trainer.  I'm debating getting rollers while they're on sale at the LBS...not sure I'm really ready to try them but it would be more interesting than the trainer thing...Sometimes I squeeze in the strength set at home with a video, other times I use the machines at the gym.  That depends on how much I need to get done on my day off from work.  My philosophy is "find a way or make a way" when it comes to my training...

2008-01-31 10:12 AM

Veteran
New Jersey
kristen - what discipline? and where do you teach? (i'm a philosophy graduate student, banging my head against the dissertation - it's always fun to meet other academic-types though)
2008-01-31 10:30 AM
in reply to: #1186283

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
jenado - 2008-01-31 11:12 AM

kristen - what discipline? and where do you teach? (i'm a philosophy graduate student, banging my head against the dissertation - it's always fun to meet other academic-types though)

I'm a law prof at U of Richmond. I did the grad student gig in Electrical Engineering (head banging while writing my thesis), and then did law school with surprisingly little head banging. Now that I'm required to write (publish or perish), I'm back to significant and frequent banging of head against the wall...or conversely, wasting time on BT and then freaking out about not getting anything done.
2008-01-31 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

WOW, our group is full of amazingly well educated, successful people.  I am no PhD, only a measley MBA.  What a slacker!

I am mainly a morning work out person, but occasionally I will try to get in a second aerobic session at night.  I consult, have no kids and a husband who travels about 75% of the time so my training schedule is uber-flexbile.   The body feels better in the moring and I really am a one shower gal if at all possible.

2008-01-31 11:21 AM

Veteran
New Jersey
haha yeah, one downside of the evening workout is the two-shower thing. i love showers, but i always feel i'm wasting water.

anyway, just did a MORNING run (quite nice), time to make some lunch and hit the books (err.. i guess, hit the PDF files. hooray for electronic journal access!).

and about the education thing... i have noticed a lot of doctors and lawyers and such on these boards, i wonder if the sport just attracts perfectionistic types.
2008-01-31 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana

BS in Chemical Engineering, MBA.  Wow!  Maybe we should be the Tri Nerds instead of the Tri Tarts. 

I am all over the place with my training schedule too.  Mostly evenings except when I get up early - which I'm trying to do more of, but need to get to bed early first - vicious cycle....

I have about an hour commute each way and work 8-6.  So, that leaves little time for weekday workouts.  My wife stays home with my little ones (4&7), so the kids are all mine after dinner through the bed time routine.  I often do a short run or hop on the trainer after they are asleep (9:00ish).  So, that kind of messes up the getting up early thing.  Occasionally, I leave work early to get a run and/or swim in.  However, I often feel like I should make it home for dinner instead, and feel a little guilty working out on family time.  Morning work-outs (5-7am) really would be better for me and the gang.  I just need to get into the routine.

2008-01-31 12:35 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
sniff, I feel soooo uneducated with my lowly associates degree in nursing here.  My husband is taking on line classes towards his masters in nursing admin. --he has 2 years left.  By the time he finishes our oldest will be a soph. in high school and the youngest will be in 8th grade so we'll be looking at THEIR tuition.  Besides, as much as I like nursing, I'm not sure I want to get an advanced degree.  Administration is not my thing and nurse practioners can't get many jobs around here.  Teach nursing?  Not very likey!  If I ever went back to school I would broaden my horizons to phys ed or personal training since the back ground is sciences anyway and the interest is obviously there for sports (though I hate most team sports cause I'm just not very coordinated for those type things)
2008-01-31 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1186573

User image

Expert
Virginia
mbmoran2 - 2008-01-31 12:48 PM

BS in Chemical Engineering, MBA. Wow! Maybe we should be the Tri Nerds instead of the Tri Tarts.

That's almost me...i have a BS in chemical engineering and am working on Masters of Engineering in project management...

Go Tri Nerds! LOL 

2008-01-31 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Another question for the group - my first 5K race is in mid-March.  What do I wear?  I tend to over dress and be hot so I want to ask for some suggestions.  I would be looking at a plus size for the bottom, regular sizes on top should be fine.  It's in Baltimore...so I'm guessing 40-50s?  Two part question - I want new running shoes.  Mine are pretty old and the cushioning is pretty much gone.  How close to a race is too close for new shoes? 

2008-01-31 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1186737

User image

Champion

zipp1 - 2008-01-31 12:35 PM sniff, I feel soooo uneducated with my lowly associates degree in nursing here.  My husband is taking on line classes towards his masters in nursing admin. --he has 2 years left.  By the time he finishes our oldest will be a soph. in high school and the youngest will be in 8th grade so we'll be looking at THEIR tuition.  Besides, as much as I like nursing, I'm not sure I want to get an advanced degree.  Administration is not my thing and nurse practioners can't get many jobs around here.  Teach nursing?  Not very likey!  If I ever went back to school I would broaden my horizons to phys ed or personal training since the back ground is sciences anyway and the interest is obviously there for sports (though I hate most team sports cause I'm just not very coordinated for those type things)

Don't feel left out.  I read your logs every day and see the work that you do.  Way above me.  Like you, I would love to have gotten a degree in exercise physiology or kinesiology, but at least what I do pays the bills. Of course my husband says I spend 10 times what I make!

2008-01-31 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1186874

User image

Champion

kimmitri408 - 2008-01-31 1:18 PM Another question for the group - my first 5K race is in mid-March.  What do I wear?  I tend to over dress and be hot so I want to ask for some suggestions.  I would be looking at a plus size for the bottom, regular sizes on top should be fine.  It's in Baltimore...so I'm guessing 40-50s?  Two part question - I want new running shoes.  Mine are pretty old and the cushioning is pretty much gone.  How close to a race is too close for new shoes? 

I tend to run on the hot side so I would be wearing shorts and a sports bra and a headband to keep the hair out of my eyes if it was 40-50F, maybe throw away gloves.  I would probably have a throw away t-shirt over it until the race started.  You will see all sorts of outfits--tights to shorts, sports bras to long sleeve dri-fit shirts.

I usually have about 50 miles on my shoes when I do a race.  That means they are nice and broken in , but still offer plenty of cushioning.

You are thinking about all the right things, but be prepared for the weather to shift and the need to do a complete re-work on the outfit (e.g. if it rains bring a baseball cap).

2008-01-31 1:30 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

Kimbery,

PV=nRT, but don't ask me anything else - haven't practiced engineering in over 10 years...

I would experiment with clothing as the race gets closer.  For a short race, I err on being a little warm as its tough to dehydrate during a 5k in March - much better to sweat than to risk straining cold muscles.  Plus, it sucks being cold waiting for the race to start.  Make sure you have warm, dry clothes to change into right away when you're done to avoid hypothermia.

For shoes, plan to get them at least 4 weeks before your race.  You want to make sure they are right by doing one or two treadmill runs. It may take more than one try to get the right pair of shoes and running stores should let you return a pair that's only been on a treadmill a couple of times.  Then once you know they're good, take them outside to practice your racing plan (pre-race meal, warm-up, race pace, attire, mental focus, etc...). 

2008-01-31 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1186888

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
SSMinnow - 2008-01-31 1:23 PM

zipp1 - 2008-01-31 12:35 PM sniff, I feel soooo uneducated with my lowly associates degree in nursing here.  My husband is taking on line classes towards his masters in nursing admin. --he has 2 years left.  By the time he finishes our oldest will be a soph. in high school and the youngest will be in 8th grade so we'll be looking at THEIR tuition.  Besides, as much as I like nursing, I'm not sure I want to get an advanced degree.  Administration is not my thing and nurse practioners can't get many jobs around here.  Teach nursing?  Not very likey!  If I ever went back to school I would broaden my horizons to phys ed or personal training since the back ground is sciences anyway and the interest is obviously there for sports (though I hate most team sports cause I'm just not very coordinated for those type things)

Don't feel left out.  I read your logs every day and see the work that you do.  Way above me.  Like you, I would love to have gotten a degree in exercise physiology or kinesiology, but at least what I do pays the bills. Of course my husband says I spend 10 times what I make!

Thanks, Suzy.  Yes...I think my husband would agree with yours in the spending area.  These tri toys and training essentials are expensive--but so are all the medications I could be taking for diabetes or high blood pressure (family history of both) if I hadn't gotten my weight down
2008-01-31 1:45 PM
in reply to: #1186912

User image

Expert
Virginia
mbmoran2 - 2008-01-31 2:30 PM

Kimbery,

PV=nRT, but don't ask me anything else - haven't practiced engineering in over 10 years...

I would experiment with clothing as the race gets closer. For a short race, I err on being a little warm as its tough to dehydrate during a 5k in March - much better to sweat than to risk straining cold muscles. Plus, it sucks being cold waiting for the race to start. Make sure you have warm, dry clothes to change into right away when you're done to avoid hypothermia.

For shoes, plan to get them at least 4 weeks before your race. You want to make sure they are right by doing one or two treadmill runs. It may take more than one try to get the right pair of shoes and running stores should let you return a pair that's only been on a treadmill a couple of times. Then once you know they're good, take them outside to practice your racing plan (pre-race meal, warm-up, race pace, attire, mental focus, etc...).

Hehe I have done engineering since graduation, but not really chemical.  I don't know what you'd call me...my business card just says that I'm an engineer, LOL.

That's a good point about the clothes, I guess I'd be even worse off being cold prior to the race.  I'm def going to bring dry clothes and all that.  I haven't even thought about a race plan!  I have never really had one before.  I'd dress and grab whatever to eat...usually a banana and out the house.  Sometimes I don't eat at all.  Warming up...yeah that's smart too, LOL.  I haven't thought about any of that stuff...just training for the distances.  Hmm...something else to think about.  

2008-01-31 1:49 PM
in reply to: #1186924

User image

Expert
Virginia

zipp1 - 2008-01-31 2:35 PM Thanks, Suzy. Yes...I think my husband would agree with yours in the spending area. These tri toys and training essentials are expensive--but so are all the medications I could be taking for diabetes or high blood pressure (family history of both) if I hadn't gotten my weight down

That's a good way of looking at it!  I have a family history of both and that's one of the big reasons I want to get the weight off.  And don't feel uneducated!  Do you know how freaking amazing nurses are???   You have to be pretty smart to retain all that info on the human body AND be able to use it at 100 miles a minute when a patient comes in. 

2008-01-31 2:02 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Kimmi,

I was cold as hell waiting for the start of my 8K in November.  Had sweat pants, a long sleeved running shirt, the technical T over it and a sweat jacket, wore a headband and baseball cap.  I felt way too hot when I finished and then was chilled to the bone with the wind after I cooled down a bit.  It's a delicate balance to dress so you can move comfortably but not freeze before the race or be too hot during the race.  Pay close attention to the weather during the week prior to the race and expiriment with what feels best for you.  Personally, I am a wimp about being cold but in hindsight to the Nov. race I should have worn less and had throw away stuff or some things to hand over to my family minutes before the race start that they could have given me post race.

My first 10 K was HOT for a late March race, I did it again last March and it was a good bit colder.  The first year I did it  there were multiple folks taked to the ER dehydrated and having heat exhaustion issues.  People in the neighborhood we ran through were hosing runners down to help them cool off.  Last year there was no need for the garden hoses to come out.  I'm doing it again this year--2 weeks prior to my half mary...

2008-02-01 12:11 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Anyone know of a good series of post swimming stretches?  Mainly for the shoulders,traps, delts?  I feel kind of tight back there and feel that it's probably due to not stretching enough afterwards
2008-02-02 11:55 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Kimmi,

I find that any stretch post swim works well.  If I do a lot of hard kick sets I stretch my legs as if I were coming from a run--lots of quads/hams.  If ther's more pulling do a good upper body set.  For example: extend one arm in front of the body. Grasp at the elbow with the other hand then stretch gently across your chest.  Repeat other arm.  A variation on that is taking the arm over your head so that the hand of the stretched arm goes in your trapezius, it really gets the triceps muscle well.   I bought a great stretching book last year and use a lot of the stretches in it--unfortunately I don't have a scanner to send copies of the stretches to you.

Brian,

As a veteran longer distance runner...did you find unpleasant GI issues post runing long runs at first?  I spent Tuesday morning in the ladies room after Monday's long run.  Today I did 8 mies and again I feel nauseas and need to be close to the bathroom. I have no other symptoms of illness so I'm thinking it's a matter of either adaptation to a longer run or timing of my pre running meal.  Any thoughts?

2008-02-02 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1189245

User image

Expert
Michiana

kimmitri408 - 2008-02-01 1:11 PM Anyone know of a good series of post swimming stretches?  Mainly for the shoulders,traps, delts?  I feel kind of tight back there and feel that it's probably due to not stretching enough afterwards

Besides the stretches recommended by Judi, also try cooling down with some nice, slow elementary back stroke.  Focus on relaxing neck and shoulders.  Your stiffness may be due to some tension/stress while swimming.  Try to keep the neck and back relaxed as you float and gently pull yourself through the water.  Adding a pull bouy to this cooldown may help, keeping you level in the water.

2008-02-02 3:02 PM
in reply to: #1191035

User image

Expert
Michiana

zipp1 - 2008-02-02 12:55 PM

Brian,

As a veteran longer distance runner...did you find unpleasant GI issues post runing long runs at first?  I spent Tuesday morning in the ladies room after Monday's long run.  Today I did 8 mies and again I feel nauseas and need to be close to the bathroom. I have no other symptoms of illness so I'm thinking it's a matter of either adaptation to a longer run or timing of my pre running meal.  Any thoughts?

Veteran runner!?  OK, two years is something I suppose.  Suzy is the REAL veteran runner.

I recall this happening on occasion.  I don't have any great advice though, except to wait 3 hours after a full meal before embarking on any 90min + runs.  It's fine to have some liquid or gel carbs a few minutes before and/or during the run.  Definitely have a nice recovery snack within 30min afterwards.   Articles by Marni Rakes on this site has some great info with regards to workout and race nutrition.

Edited by mbmoran2 2008-02-02 3:18 PM
2008-02-02 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1191190

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
mbmoran2 - 2008-02-02 3:02 PM

zipp1 - 2008-02-02 12:55 PM

Brian,

Veteran runner!?  OK, two years is something I suppose.  Suzy is the REAL veteran runner.

I recall this happening on occasion.  I don't have any great advice though, except not wait 3 hours after a full meal before embarking on any 90min + runs.  It's fine to have some liquid or gel carbs a few minutes before and/or during the run.  Definitely have a nice recovery snack within 30min afterwards.   Articles by Marni Rakes on this site has some great info with regards to workout and race nutrition.

You're more of a veteran than me I've been running two years as well, but only have sporadic 8+ mile runs until now. I am going to check out Marni's articles later on though.  I think it's the timing thing,  both long runs were only 90 min post breakfast with my large coffee consumption.  I have only tried gels a few times--prefer them to gatoraid and it's lke so I guess I need to stock up Any flavors better than others taste wise?
2008-02-02 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

OK.   Here is my take on training/race nutrition.

Gatorade or any other drink with High-fructose corn syrup does not agree with me while exercising; although fine, even preferred afterwards.

I've gone to Heed drink or Gu gels w/ water for my race/training nutrition.  Heed has no simple sugars (uses dextrose) and Gu has mostly longer branched carbs (maltodextrin) - 25 total grams of carbs of which only 2g of sugar.  Hammer Gel is good too (same carb profile as Gu).  I've got a nice supply of that, but discovered it's electrolyte profile is inadequate for longer/warmer races  Hammer Gel has just 22g sodium.  While Gu has 50g sodium plus 40g potassium.

I've discovered Gu in my race belt and water from the aid stations has been a real simple solution for my races (1/2 marathons and run portion of all triathlons).

I do use Perpetuem on my long rides 90+ minutes, and used it as my bike nutrition for my Olys (1 bottle) and HIM (three bottles, 2 scooops each).   I may experiment with other long distance drinks as Perpetuem is not the best tasting product in the world.

I also agument with Enduralytes for electrolyte replenishment.  I keep a minibottle on my racebelt and in my Bento Box

I'm a pretty big fan of Hammer Nutrition.  I just wish they could do something about the taste and consistency of Perpetuem.  Their site has a ton of info (although surely biased) on race and training nutrition.

That may be too many links in one post, but figure it would save y'all time looking all this stuff up. 

2008-02-02 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana

My favorite flavors:

Hammer Gel:  Apple Cinnamon, Espresso*, Raspberry

Gu:  Vanilla Bean*, Strawberry Banana

* w/ caffiine

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 23