BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2007-12-23 1:23 PM
in reply to: #1114780

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed
sparco - 2007-12-23 1:10 AM
milaminute - 2007-12-22 9:48 PM

Cashmason - 2007-12-22 8:21 PM Another question. Today I had to come out of the aerobars a couple of times because my upper back ( traps and rhomboids) were getting sore. Anything I can do to increase my endurance in the aeropostion besides ride more. Btw, my spin instructor goes absolutely bonkers when I train in the aero postion. She sees it as offloading/ making the class easier. I explained why I do it, but she still rolls her eyes at me when I do it. Besides the handle bars hurt without the elbow pads. Folded towels dont really cut it as make shift aero pads.

What specifically is uncomfortable for you when you're in aero?

Here is the standard answer to any question regarding bike positioning:  make sure you have a proper fit .  Seriously, get your fit checked.  Sometimes even the most minor adjustment can make a huge difference.  If it's been awhile since your last fitting, it might be time for a new one.  If you only had the cursory "here's your new bike, g'head and sit on it and I'll adjust the seat" fit, you need a professional fit done.  If you're sure the bike is adjusted correctly and your position on the bike is right, then it really is a matter of getting used to it... so yes, ride LOTS.  Eventually, it should actually be more comfortable to be in aero than to not be. 

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with your spin instructor a little bit (though I wouldn't ever give you the evil eye in class or suggest that you are making it easier on yourself).  The geometry of a spin bike is not close enough to the geometry of a road or tri bike to really effectively simulate riding in an aero position, in my humble opinion.  If you are just looking for more time in aero without riding outside, put your bike on a trainer at home and have at it.  At spin class, in order to optimize your workout, you always want to keep your weight centered on or over the saddle and want to refrain from leaning on the handlebars.  And yes, spin classes are great for building your cardiovascular base as well as your leg strength so I'm glad you're seeing that translate onto the road!!!!

Ooh...I finally found a point of disagreement with Mila .  Depending on the type of spin bikes used in class (LeMonds at the Y), I can bring the seat up far enough to have the nose over the center of the bottom bracket and can bring the 'aerobars' out far enough and down low enough to simulate tri bike setup.  The only thing I can't do on the Lemond is dip the nose down so that there's less pressure on the jewels.

I still stand on the bike when I can, when we do hill work, although most triathletes like to try and stay in aero position even on the hills...

I would say that on a LeMonds or a Spinner, you might be able to do this effectively (Cash, what kind of bikes do they have at your gym?).  However, I do feel the need to reiterate, as a certified spinning instructor, that leaning on the handlebars is contraindicated.  My attorney thanks you all for noting that I have said this.  Twice. 

2007-12-23 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1114748

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-22 11:12 PM What is uncomfortable is my upper back/ neck from being bent over and having to raise my head like a turtle. My low back is fine, its just having to tilt my head back to see.

Tough to tell without seeing a picture but I am wondering if your seat is too close to your handlebars or if your bars are too low for your bike geometry... I think you need to check your fit.

2007-12-23 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Hey Noz,

You asked about Calif. tri's. Yes we have a bunch of em. Lots of sprints, some oly and a few Half and full Ironman's. We are also close to large tri's in Las Vegas and Phoenix.

Your brother in law is in North San Diego County and there are several nice tri's there. I like the ones in Mission Bay because they are sea water but without the waves.

I still hate the taste of sea water in my mouth and drink the strongest sport drink I can find as soon as I exit the water to get that taste out of my mouth.

Oceanside and Carlsbad have some nice HIM, but some years the waves can get large. Most years they are fairly moderate but once in a while they can get scary big.

I am not a good enough swimmer yet to do a HIM. I could do the bike and the run, but not the swim yet.

Almost 20 miles on the bike today with my g/f at her pace so nice easy ride for me.
2007-12-24 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1114991

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-23 1:23 PM

I would say that on a LeMonds or a Spinner, you might be able to do this effectively (Cash, what kind of bikes do they have at your gym?).  However, I do feel the need to reiterate, as a certified spinning instructor, that leaning on the handlebars is contraindicated.  My attorney thanks you all for noting that I have said this.  Twice. 

I try to set up my bike to tri geometry and ride in aero position about 60% when I spin...cuz I like to train how I race.  I usually pull out of aero position when we do hill work in class.  The main reasons to ride in aero/tri position are:

1.  To cut wind resistance (outside of course...although in some spin classes there are a few windbags...NOT referring to the instructor in most cases, Mila ).
2.  To use different muscle groups than when riding a bike with 'traditional' road bike geometry so that T2 (transition 2) will be easier and you are using muscle groups that will benefit you during the run.

I'll have my attorney call yours...

Happy Christmas Eve everyone!!! 

2007-12-25 9:39 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

For those of you celebrating today...

Merry Christmas!

2007-12-25 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1115543

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
sparco - 2007-12-24 10:44 AM

I like to train how I race.  

Yay Sal!  Best.advice.ever.  Nothing new on race day.  Train like you race (but I will point out that you don't race on a spin bike, however, I understand your point.  Wait.  Can we race on a spin bike?  Cause seriously, I could probably KQ that way if we could also do the run on the elliptical machine ).

The main reasons to ride in aero/tri position are:

1.  To cut wind resistance (outside of course...although in some spin classes there are a few windbags...NOT referring to the instructor in most cases, Mila ).

LOL, yes there are some windbags... and sometimes it is the instructor.  I used to take a spin class from a woman that sang into the microphone and, ummmm... she really shouldn't be singing in public.  She also used to watch her legs while she rode and say "lookin' good".  I was never quite sure if she meant the participants or her legs...

2.  To use different muscle groups than when riding a bike with 'traditional' road bike geometry so that T2 (transition 2) will be easier and you are using muscle groups that will benefit you during the run.

X2.  It takes some time to get used to aero but once you're used to it you will love it!

I appreciate that .

2007-12-25 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1116278

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-25 9:45 AM
sparco - 2007-12-24 10:44 AM

I like to train how I race.  

Yay Sal!  Best.advice.ever.  Nothing new on race day.  Train like you race (but I will point out that you don't race on a spin bike, however, I understand your point.  Wait.  Can we race on a spin bike?  Cause seriously, I could probably KQ that way if we could also do the run on the elliptical machine ).

The main reasons to ride in aero/tri position are:

LOL, yes there are some windbags... and sometimes it is the instructor.  I used to take a spin class from a woman that sang into the microphone and, ummmm... she really shouldn't be singing in public.  She also used to watch her legs while she rode and say "lookin' good".  I was never quite sure if she meant the participants or her legs...

X2.  It takes some time to get used to aero but once you're used to it you will love it!

I appreciate that .

Merry Christmas Mila!!!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays 'mentees!!!!'  Gifts are open...food is on the table.  Homemade waffles with strawberry syrup...and this afternoon Filipino food...pansit, lumpia, leche flan...

2007-12-26 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Rise and shine!  Get up, get training!!!!

What's on tap today?  I am going to do some hill repeats on my pretty bicycle and try to go for a run.

I was pretty inspired by this story today.  Karen Gaffney is a young woman with Down Syndrome who is an avid swimmer.  She only kicks with one leg. She has done Escape from Alcatraz and swum the English Channel as relays and is now training to swim Lake Tahoe.

http://www.karengaffneyfoundation.com/tahoe.shtml

2007-12-26 10:46 AM

Veteran
Las Vegas

I think i going to visit the pool after i get off shift this morning and then do some core work.

2007-12-26 4:35 PM

Veteran
Las Vegas
So the pool was closed so instead i went running at the gym on treadmill. and if you see my log it didn't go to well. so my question is i stop early today, cause i wasn't feeling the run this morning. I always hear the phrase "listen to your body". but how does everyone else gauge when your body truthly isn't up to it instead of the mind not being up to it. cause now i feel like i wuss out. but at the same time i don't wanna get injured before i even get a race in this season.
2007-12-26 4:41 PM
in reply to: #1117553

User image

Regular
Kentucky

pilotncommand172 - 2007-12-26 5:35 PM So the pool was closed so instead i went running at the gym on treadmill. and if you see my log it didn't go to well. so my question is i stop early today, cause i wasn't feeling the run this morning. I always hear the phrase "listen to your body". but how does everyone else gauge when your body truthly isn't up to it instead of the mind not being up to it. cause now i feel like i wuss out. but at the same time i don't wanna get injured before i even get a race in this season.

I most always play it safe (huh lazy; who am I kidding) and don't push it.  I had a pulled muscle once that occured when I "pushed" too hard when I wasn't feeling it.  It took weeks to recover. Not worth it.

2007-12-26 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1117564

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
crouse - 2007-12-26 5:41 PM

pilotncommand172 - 2007-12-26 5:35 PM So the pool was closed so instead i went running at the gym on treadmill. and if you see my log it didn't go to well. so my question is i stop early today, cause i wasn't feeling the run this morning. I always hear the phrase "listen to your body". but how does everyone else gauge when your body truthly isn't up to it instead of the mind not being up to it. cause now i feel like i wuss out. but at the same time i don't wanna get injured before i even get a race in this season.

I most always play it safe (huh lazy; who am I kidding) and don't push it.  I had a pulled muscle once that occured when I "pushed" too hard when I wasn't feeling it.  It took weeks to recover. Not worth it.

Great question, Pilot.  For me, if I can pinpoint something physically that's gnawing at me, I listen to it and will bail on a workout or ease off the intensity even if it's not a significant pain.  I am with Crouse... better safe than sorry.  Pulling out of one training session is far better than pushing it and sustaining an injury that could really knock you off course. 

However, it there's nothing specific physically but I'm just not feeling it, I will usually try to push through.  If I'm swimming, I will try to change it up, maybe start alternating freestyle/drills every 25 to 50 meters.  If I'm running, I try to either get lost in the scenery (no, not the guys in the gym, though I suppose that's an option on the tready ) or put on some music that inspires me.  In fact, when I used to run longer distances, I had a song that I deemed "the 6.5 mile song" because, invariably, when I got to 6 miles I wanted to stop... but if I could get to 6.5, I could go further and the song "I Run for Life" was my "no excuses" way to get through that.  I have no advice for you on the bike 'cause I just can't imagine not wanting to ride .

2007-12-26 8:07 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

So did anyone get any new tri stuff as holiday gifts???

2007-12-26 10:39 PM

User image

Expert
I got a bento box. ( A mesh bag that can hold a cell phone, some gels and an energy bar, that fastens to the top tube of your bike. Bento means lunch box in Japanese if my memory serves).

JC, if I am on a run and its not going well, I ask myself is this muscle soreness or something to do with my joints or bones. If it is muscle soreness, I will keep running. If the pain doesn't get any worse I keep running.

If I think it is ligaments, tendons or bone, I bail on the run. Sore muscles heal in a day or two, especially if I bike or swim instead of run. But the other stuff takes a long time to heal, so I stop as soon the pain kicks in.

8.5 miles today running. Average heart rate 135.
2007-12-27 8:03 AM
in reply to: #1117932

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-26 11:39 PM I got a bento box. ( A mesh bag that can hold a cell phone, some gels and an energy bar, that fastens to the top tube of your bike. Bento means lunch box in Japanese if my memory serves).

Yay for bento boxes!  But, ummm... is yours pink? Mine is .

8.5 miles today running. Average heart rate 135.

Great job, Cash, and good advice on the muscle soreness versus joint/bone/worsening pain.

2007-12-27 8:09 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

As for me... in terms of tri-related gifts, I got some Accel Gel as well as 4, count 'em, 4 boxes of mint chocolate Gu (it's a seasonal flavor so not readily available after this time of year... REI still has some you can order online and pick up at your local REI so you don't have to pay shipping).  I got a couple pairs of running socks and I recently got new running shoes that was part of my Christmas loot.  Oh, and just for Sal... I got a cheapie water resistant watch with a lap counter to use in the pool.  Happy now??? 

However, the most thoughtful and special gift I received was a picture of Michellie Jones and me along with my finisher's medal from Iron Girl mounted, matted, framed and another frame in which to put my autographed bib number (boy toy couldn't find it and didn't want to give away the surprise by asking for it).

2007-12-27 3:32 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Oh... Sal has changed his avatar .  Does that super hero suit mean you're gearing up for some OWS practice?!

2007-12-27 5:07 PM

User image

Expert
Ahh my sister in law got me a bunch of underarmour socks. Found out later she got em at TJ Maxx for 2 dollars per pair. Coolness.

Ok why is pretending to be in the aero postion in spin class contra indicated? Just because its offloading?

Don't ever have your lawyer talk to another lawyer. They will talk about football, the weather and their kids and charge each of you 250 dollars an hour to do it.
2007-12-27 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1119215

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-27 6:07 PM Ahh my sister in law got me a bunch of underarmour socks. Found out later she got em at TJ Maxx for 2 dollars per pair. Coolness. Ok why is pretending to be in the aero postion in spin class contra indicated? Just because its offloading? Don't ever have your lawyer talk to another lawyer. They will talk about football, the weather and their kids and charge each of you 250 dollars an hour to do it.

LOL... that's a good point!

It's contraindicated because it can mess up your body

Many people who lean on the handlebars do so in a way that doesn't necessarily simulate aero, simply shifting their weight forward thinking it will make it easier and, in doing so, they sometimes have really bad form that can result in injuries over time for people who spin a lot.  It doesn't keep the kinetic chain in alignment.  I'm not saying it can't be done effectively... just saying to be careful to do it safely.  The truth is that it's just not what spin bikes were built for so you need to be conscious of this fact in your "aero" set up.  It's kinda like just throwing a pair of aerobars on your road bike without a proper fitting isn't a good idea, ya know? 

Also, not that this is how you would be simulating aero, but if you are doing a standing climb and leaning on the bars there is a chance the bike could fall forward .  That would be bad.  Make sure anytime you are out of the saddle on a spin bike your weight is over the seat (you should feel it underneath you) and you have just a slight hinge at your hips, loose grip on the handlebars.

With all of that said, it's important to remember that spin classes really aren't meant to take the place of riding, even in classes like mine where I try to simulate the terrain of a road ride, so I'm not convinced that it's really so important to have a "tri" set up on a spin bike.  It's a fabulous way to build up your aerobic base and there is no doubt that you can develop some serious hill climbing legs by spinning.  You will notice in my logs that I often don't count spin classes as bike rides but instead as "other sport".  It just depends on the type of class I teach and the type of training my plan calls for.  I spend a lot of time riding outside and on my trainer and it's during those times that I get in my aero practice.

Just my $.02.

2007-12-27 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Hi everybody.  Hope you all had a great week, sounds like you did.  I just got around to updating my blog, I've been busy de-cluttering (getting rid of old toys), and then re-cluttering (finding space for new toys).  I got some cool running pants for Christmas, so now I can retire the ones I've have for the last 5 yrs.  Cool!  I did cycle class on Wed. and swam today.  I'm starting to feel like I'm "training" again, woohoo.  May help if I actually commited to a plan.  Heading to cycle class again tomorrow, followed by shopping for a "sexy little dress" to wear for New Year's Eve.   
2007-12-27 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1119007

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-27 3:32 PM

Oh... Sal has changed his avatar .  Does that super hero suit mean you're gearing up for some OWS practice?!

You don't miss a thing, do you?  Are you stalking me?

2007-12-27 9:43 PM
in reply to: #1117768

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-26 8:07 PM

So did anyone get any new tri stuff as holiday gifts???

Well, not directly.  I got my wife a HRM.  Cindy got me a new iPod Nano.  I guess I could use that working out, but mostly will use it to listen to novels on my commute.

2007-12-27 9:45 PM
in reply to: #1119331

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-27 6:02 PM

Cashmason - 2007-12-27 6:07 PM Ahh my sister in law got me a bunch of underarmour socks. Found out later she got em at TJ Maxx for 2 dollars per pair. Coolness. Ok why is pretending to be in the aero postion in spin class contra indicated? Just because its offloading? Don't ever have your lawyer talk to another lawyer. They will talk about football, the weather and their kids and charge each of you 250 dollars an hour to do it.

LOL... that's a good point!

It's contraindicated because it can mess up your body

Many people who lean on the handlebars do so in a way that doesn't necessarily simulate aero, simply shifting their weight forward thinking it will make it easier and, in doing so, they sometimes have really bad form that can result in injuries over time for people who spin a lot.  It doesn't keep the kinetic chain in alignment.  I'm not saying it can't be done effectively... just saying to be careful to do it safely.  The truth is that it's just not what spin bikes were built for so you need to be conscious of this fact in your "aero" set up.  It's kinda like just throwing a pair of aerobars on your road bike without a proper fitting isn't a good idea, ya know? 

Also, not that this is how you would be simulating aero, but if you are doing a standing climb and leaning on the bars there is a chance the bike could fall forward .  That would be bad.  Make sure anytime you are out of the saddle on a spin bike your weight is over the seat (you should feel it underneath you) and you have just a slight hinge at your hips, loose grip on the handlebars.

With all of that said, it's important to remember that spin classes really aren't meant to take the place of riding, even in classes like mine where I try to simulate the terrain of a road ride, so I'm not convinced that it's really so important to have a "tri" set up on a spin bike.  It's a fabulous way to build up your aerobic base and there is no doubt that you can develop some serious hill climbing legs by spinning.  You will notice in my logs that I often don't count spin classes as bike rides but instead as "other sport".  It just depends on the type of class I teach and the type of training my plan calls for.  I spend a lot of time riding outside and on my trainer and it's during those times that I get in my aero practice.

Just my $.02.

O.K. Mila...I concede...for general pop, I agree with you wholeheartedly...I'm not normal...are you gonna git angry at me next time I come to your spin class?

2007-12-28 1:25 AM

User image

Expert
Hour of spin class tonight, and just for you Mila, not in the aero postion.

Then 800 yards swimming.

Guy next to me in spin class was new. No towel on the ground, and he didn't get paper towels to wipe it up afterwards. Ewww.

But he did get in the aero postion a lot and he was in good shape.
2007-12-28 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1119837

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-28 2:25 AM Hour of spin class tonight, and just for you Mila, not in the aero postion. Then 800 yards swimming. Guy next to me in spin class was new. No towel on the ground, and he didn't get paper towels to wipe it up afterwards. Ewww. But he did get in the aero postion a lot and he was in good shape.

I'm so proud I could pop

Yeah, I have issues with the non-cleaner-uppers.  That's just nasty! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55