BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2009-01-08 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1856184

User image

Elgin, Ok
Subject: RE: kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED
Here is a goal question.

Ultimate Goal - Hawaii!!!

I was looking over the ironman website and dates for regional ironman tris. I noticed IMKY was is august and Hawaii was in October. If you earn a qualifying spot in August do you have to run again in October or do you qualify for the next year. Just wondering how that works.

2009-01-08 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Ditto on the last two posts.  Jorge's workouts are around 1  hour or less.  You shouldn't need anything other than water if you have some fuel in you before you start.  After the workout, you should get some carbs/protein in you as a recovery.  There are all kinds of options there.

I would definitely take in some nutrition after the swim before the run.  Whatever works for you.  Gatorade, aforementioned foods, fig newtons, etc.  Swimming is a huge caloric consumer, so most likely you will be hungry!

Sprint triathlons for me are better handled by eating a fairly large meal 3 hours before the race, then just a little Infinit and water on the bike, and nothing on the run.

Training fueling is dependent on time spent.  If my training rides and runs for a sprint are less than an hour, I don't worry about fuel, I just drink water.

Edited by Gregkl 2009-01-08 11:14 AM
2009-01-08 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1894737

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

hughes411 - 2009-01-08 11:04 AM Here is a goal question. Ultimate Goal - Hawaii!!! I was looking over the ironman website and dates for regional ironman tris. I noticed IMKY was is august and Hawaii was in October. If you earn a qualifying spot in August do you have to run again in October or do you qualify for the next year. Just wondering how that works.

I believe you would do Kona in the following calendar year if you qualify!

I am so freakin' tired from going back to work.  My diet is cleaned up but I am fatigued.  Probably from lack of sugar! I am sure I am getting enough to eat.  I wish I had a couch in my office so I could take a nap right now!

2009-01-08 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1894974

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-08 12:17 PM

hughes411 - 2009-01-08 11:04 AM Here is a goal question. Ultimate Goal - Hawaii!!! I was looking over the ironman website and dates for regional ironman tris. I noticed IMKY was is august and Hawaii was in October. If you earn a qualifying spot in August do you have to run again in October or do you qualify for the next year. Just wondering how that works.

I believe you would do Kona in the following calendar year if you qualify!

I am so freakin' tired from going back to work.  My diet is cleaned up but I am fatigued.  Probably from lack of sugar! I am sure I am getting enough to eat.  I wish I had a couch in my office so I could take a nap right now!

Ahhhh, I feel the same way everyday!! I would love a couch, or at least some curtains and a lock on the door for a quick nap in my chair.  I just don't get enough sleep, I know I'm definitely getting enough to eat!!

2009-01-08 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Greg,

Thanks a lot for sending me those spreadsheets, very interesting. After I looked through it all I decided to look a few things up and found a pretty good article.

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/salt.html

Thanks again!

2009-01-08 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1895046

User image

Master
zee744 - 2009-01-08 11:46 AM

Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-08 12:17 PM

[I am so freakin' tired from going back to work.  My diet is cleaned up but I am fatigued.  Probably from lack of sugar! I am sure I am getting enough to eat.  I wish I had a couch in my office so I could take a nap right now!

Ahhhh, I feel the same way everyday!! I would love a couch, or at least some curtains and a lock on the door for a quick nap in my chair.  I just don't get enough sleep, I know I'm definitely getting enough to eat!!

Same here. Definitely not getting enough sleep and having super exhausted-feeling late afternoons. I have been trying to grab a 15-min. power nap which helps. I need to go to bed earlier but I keep staying up watching flood and weather reports about our area. It's crazy here!!

2009-01-08 7:10 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Nate, good article.  Thanks for passing it on.
2009-01-09 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Two things:

1. How do you all feel when swimming?  I want it to feel good but comfortable. I am starting to think it should feel like running when I am pushing myself.  I may expect it to be too easy!

2.  I am starving when I eat healthy! But if I eat junk I gain weight! I ended up eating my afternoon snack right after my breakfast because I still felt famished! I don't know if this is normal!!

5:30am 1 cup orange-pineapple juice

6 - 6:50am swam

7:30am 1 scoop protein powder and a banana

8:30am 1/2 cup FF cottage cheese, 1/2 cup raw oats, 1 T almonds, 1 T flax meal, 1 T raisins (all mixed together)

Then I am freakin' starving so I ate a natural PB and honey sandwich on WW.  I am hungry like this everyday! I was satisfied after that but do I eat an afternoon snack. 

Now I am eating lunch: Wasa crackers with turkey, LF swiss and hummus and a bunch of veggies and two clementines. 

Basically, I want to know if it is normal to be so hungry! I feel like I cannot stick to any diet cuz they all make me physically hungry all the time.  I may need a new approach!  I considered getting a VO2Max test done to find out how many calories I am burning on a regular basis....where do I get one done?

Edited by Bronwyn1968 2009-01-09 10:45 AM
2009-01-09 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1897389

User image

Expert
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-09 11:37 AM

Two things:

1. How do you all feel when swimming?  I want it to feel good but comfortable. I am starting to think it should feel like running when I am pushing myself.  I may expect it to be too easy!

2.  I am starving when I eat healthy! But if I eat junk I gain weight! I ended up eating my afternoon snack right after my breakfast because I still felt famished! I don't know if this is normal!!

8:30am 1/2 cup FF cottage cheese, 1/2 cup raw oats, 1 T almonds, 1 T flax meal, 1 T raisins (all mixed together)

Then I am freakin' starving so I ate a natural PB and honey sandwich on WW.  I am hungry like this everyday! I was satisfied after that but do I eat an afternoon snack. 

Now I am eating lunch: Wasa crackers with turkey, LF swiss and hummus and a bunch of veggies and two clementines. 

Basically, I want to know if it is normal to be so hungry! I feel like I cannot stick to any diet cuz they all make me physically hungry all the time.  I may need a new approach!

Is that your hunger level all day long? Or does it taper at some point?

I am hungry nonstop until about 3 or 4 PM. After that, I don't eat much, and am satisfied. I've come to the conclusion that it's really just the way my body works, because no matter what I eat, it's not much different. Obviously, junk food affects me negatively, but if I'm eating healthy, it's how my body works. People at work laugh at me because I eat breakfast at my house, walk in the office with a snack in my hand, eat again by 10AM, and lunch by 11:30. Then a snack by 2.

I have noticed recently that a protein bar at around 10 holds me until after noon before I need lunch.

2009-01-09 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1897443

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
slow turtle - 2009-01-09 11:48 AM

Basically, I want to know if it is normal to be so hungry! I feel like I cannot stick to any diet cuz they all make me physically hungry all the time.  I may need a new approach!

I am hungry nonstop until about 3 or 4 PM. After that, I don't eat much, and am satisfied. I've come to the conclusion that it's really just the way my body works, because no matter what I eat, it's not much different. Obviously, junk food affects me negatively, but if I'm eating healthy, it's how my body works. People at work laugh at me because I eat breakfast at my house, walk in the office with a snack in my hand, eat again by 10AM, and lunch by 11:30. Then a snack by 2.

I have noticed recently that a protein bar at around 10 holds me until after noon before I need lunch.

I am definitely hungier during the day but unless I eat something substantial (a big sandwich or some junk), the hunger is there all day.  I was quite hungry when I went to bed last night.  I had about 2300 calories and trained for 1 hr 45 min.  I like the foods I am eating but crave junk just to get that full feeling. 

People at work make fun of me for eating too...   

2009-01-09 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1897482

User image

Expert
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-09 11:58 AM

I am definitely hungier during the day but unless I eat something substantial (a big sandwich or some junk), the hunger is there all day.  I was quite hungry when I went to bed last night.  I had about 2300 calories and trained for 1 hr 45 min.  I like the foods I am eating but crave junk just to get that full feeling. 

Is there a reason for not eating a sandwich? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, and some one other than me might know more about this. But it seems like eating something substantial after a workout is reasonable, especially if it's not junk.

2009-01-09 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1897389

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-09 10:37 AM

Two things:

Basically, I want to know if it is normal to be so hungry! I feel like I cannot stick to any diet cuz they all make me physically hungry all the time.  I may need a new approach!  I considered getting a VO2Max test done to find out how many calories I am burning on a regular basis....where do I get one done?

Try adding a little more protein and see if that helps.  Im a morning eater though to, and especially if I have a good hard workout in the morning, I can get in easily 1000 cals before lunch, of normal food.   I will taper off some too though as the day goes on.    Typically, try some more protein.  If that doesnt work, then you may be too low on your calories

2009-01-09 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1897498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
slow turtle - 2009-01-09 12:02 PM

Is there a reason for not eating a sandwich? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, and some one other than me might know more about this. But it seems like eating something substantial after a workout is reasonable, especially if it's not junk.

You're not being a "wise guy". I had the same question. I started reading all the nutrition stuff on here by Marni Rakes and she says people don't need so much food but when I lower my calories I am so hungry!!!  She recommended 500 calories for lunch...well, that just isn't doing it!  But I also don't want to fool myself and not lose weight by feeding my hunger.  (Sorry to dominate the thread with my eating issues!)

2009-01-09 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1897584

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-09 11:30 AM

You're not being a "wise guy". I had the same question. I started reading all the nutrition stuff on here by Marni Rakes and she says people don't need so much food but when I lower my calories I am so hungry!!!  She recommended 500 calories for lunch...well, that just isn't doing it!  But I also don't want to fool myself and not lose weight by feeding my hunger.  (Sorry to dominate the thread with my eating issues!)

I already mentioned more protein for early mornings, but what about your fluid intake?  Sometimes if I just have a lot of water, or a diet pop or tea or something, it solves my problem

2009-01-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: #1897584

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-09 12:30 PM

I typically don't do an AM workout, but still have some of the same issues. I have a bowl of cereal and protein shake around 7:45, bagel w/ butter for snack around 10:30, starving by noon but tough it out til 12:30 for a lunch of about 500-700 cals, apple/banana/pb crackers around 2:30-3, workout from 5-7ish, home for dinner of about 600-800 cals, then eat when I'm hungry after that.

Eat when your body tells you you're hungry. Thats what I follow. Granted it may be different for me considering I'm a guy and it does work semi-differently for us, but I still think its a good general rule. If you're stomach is growling...eat something! If you're craving junk, have something, just limit it.

2300 calories is really not a lot, you're probably burning at least 2800cals daily. Add more protein (it seems like you're getting a lot already though), good fats & fiber which all tend to make you feel more full. Drink a lot of water too. If I'm hungry but feel like I've ate too much I'll just down a couple glasses of water. Outside of the gym I take in at least 110oz of water a day.

Edited by zee744 2009-01-09 11:56 AM
2009-01-09 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1897498

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

Also, like Heidi said, have something substantial after a workout, that might help. I would consider switching what you ate at 8:30 to 7:30. Seems like that is bigger/more filling than just a banana and protein. Even have the protein then, and save the banana for later when you get hungry. Just an idea.

2009-01-09 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Thanks everyone!

I have an hour commute after I workout so I have to have something I can eat while driving...maybe I will go back to a PB sand after my workouts.  I just need to find a plan that works for me where I can lose weight and fuel my body properly.  There is SO much contradicting info out there!  

Fluids: I drink a ton of water and I have green tea twice a day.  

I just don't want to be so hungry that I stop at 7-11 on the way home to buy a pop and candy bar! 

2009-01-09 5:14 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

Bronwyn - if you have a hour drive after a workout then you definitely should be eating something before then.  And for sandwiches, etc, right after a workout is the best time for that type of stuff anyways.  Thats when the quick carbs, etc are best to use.

Friday weigh in.  Should we?  Mine didnt go anywhere, even with 9 hours of workouts so far this week.  Sooooo.. maybe I just need to wait a bit and let the metabolism kick in a little.  Gota get my body used to high volume again.   137 holding for me.  Eeek

2009-01-09 5:34 PM

User image

Expert

Weigh in- I didn't move this week either. I stayed at 136 this morning. But, I also don't feel like I tried super hard.

The benefit concert that I went to with my husband was tough. He has a middle school student whose mom passed away from cancer right before Chrismas. So this was a benefit for the student and her siblings (mom was a single parent).

My husband was playing in the band, so I was on my own most of the time. The food was DELICIOUS! They served the freshest and yummiest clams I've ever had. So the emotional rollarcoaster  of the event, and the awesome food were a bad combo for me. I am rarely an emotional eater- but last nite got me.

How was every one else?

2009-01-09 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1898646

User image

Master
I was 135 at home in my undies when I woke up, and 132 at the doctor fully clad at noon. Go figure!! So, in my range...

Doc "diagnosed" shoulder as rotator cuff tendonitis/impingement or possible bursitis. He also x-rayed to rule out arthritis or fracture. Didn't get xray results on the spot. He prescribed PT and my first appt is Tues. He thought the whole push-up connection was odd (as did I), but he said I do too many things often enough to rule in or out one specific cause. Maybe I tweaked it somewhere unbeknownst to me and then have kept aggravating it. He also said, (and I quote) "I love triathletes. They really want to get better." Amen to that. He wasn't my usual doc but I really liked him. We'll see how PT goes. Shoulder feels a wee bit better today. I will try to squeeze in my Jorge workout I was to do this morning tomorrow. Busy busy weekend so may not have much time to train.

Good weekend to all!
2009-01-09 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1898905

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp

kkcbelle - 2009-01-09 8:08 PM I was 135 at home in my undies when I woke up, and 132 at the doctor fully clad at noon. Go figure!! So, in my range... Doc "diagnosed" shoulder as rotator cuff tendonitis/impingement or possible bursitis. He also x-rayed to rule out arthritis or fracture. Didn't get xray results on the spot. He prescribed PT and my first appt is Tues. He thought the whole push-up connection was odd (as did I), but he said I do too many things often enough to rule in or out one specific cause. Maybe I tweaked it somewhere unbeknownst to me and then have kept aggravating it. He also said, (and I quote) "I love triathletes. They really want to get better." Amen to that. He wasn't my usual doc but I really liked him. We'll see how PT goes. Shoulder feels a wee bit better today. I will try to squeeze in my Jorge workout I was to do this morning tomorrow. Busy busy weekend so may not have much time to train. Good weekend to all!

Interesting diagnosis   Sounds treatable though!   Is it easy to ice the area after you irritate it?

2009-01-09 9:08 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
I weighed 169 today which is up from 167. I have not ever been 170. I think that with the increased training adding muscle mass and high calorie intake adding some fat I am going to add some. I really would like to be about 175/180. At one point last year I was ill and down to about 150. I had a measured body fat percentage of 3%. I can stand to add some back.
2009-01-09 9:32 PM

User image

Elgin, Ok
I have a question about loading a profile picture. Every time I try to load one it tells me it is to large. I have cropped and reformatted several times. Any tips?
2009-01-09 10:29 PM
in reply to: #1898920

User image

Master
kellc09 - 2009-01-09 8:17 PM

Interesting diagnosis   Sounds treatable though!   Is it easy to ice the area after you irritate it?

It's actually a tricky thing to ice as it hurts in the back and on the front and the true muscle goes all around the shoulder socket (i.e. deep). But we have lotsa flexible ice packs, so I can lean back on it and hold it on the front.

There is, of course, the chance that it's something worse (tear), but we'll do the PT and see how things go. If no improvement, then MRI, cortisone shot, yada yada yada. I will be optimistic!!

2009-01-09 11:04 PM
in reply to: #1899035

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

hughes411 - 2009-01-09 10:32 PM I have a question about loading a profile picture. Every time I try to load one it tells me it is to large. I have cropped and reformatted several times. Any tips?

I think you have to make it so its 200kb or smaller. Cropping won't do a whole lot. I used HP image zone, which I guess only help if you have a hp, and set it to web page display. The pixels on my pic are currently set to 300px × 468px. Hope that helps!

Edited by zee744 2009-01-09 11:17 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kellc09's Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 30