Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-12-31 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1878401

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- CLOSED

bragg69 - 2008-12-30 4:36 PM Need some advice. Last winter I taught myself to swim by basically reading articles and YouTube videos. At first I couldn’t swim a pool length without stopping for air but after awhile it finally clicked and I could swim long periods of time. The problem is during my tri's it became obvious that I was very slow and need to speed. Since the season ended I have not swim at all. Now I need to start swimming next week and I cannot decide whether it is a good idea to go back to my original swimming method and concentrate on technique and speed or to try "Total Immersion" in hopes I can learn it and gain the endurance required for my HIM in June. I have even thought about swimming according to my plan, but "staying late" and trying to learn TI. At first I thought staying late was the answer but I am worried that practicing two techniques will ultimately do more harm than good. Any ideas????

I think your best bet would be to take a swimming lesson and have the coach watch you swim.  If you really have basic stroke technique correct and your balance is good you might only need to start incorporating speedwork into your pool work outs.  We do this for running and biking, but kind of forget about it for swimming.

I would bet however slow you are, I am slower.  My swimming coach has me do timed stuff (e.g. 5 100s on 2:40), intervals 5 50s (25 hard/25ez)  and sprints (6 25s :10) in order to get me faster.  You might consider trying this on your own, look at one of the swim focused plans on BT, or check out swimplan.com which is a free way to create work outs.

2008-12-31 6:53 AM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Congrats Grandpa ROB!!  You need to buy one of these......

(baby triathlete.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
baby triathlete.jpg (41KB - 7 downloads)
2008-12-31 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Congrats Rob! Cool
2008-12-31 8:31 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Congratulations Rob!  Now you really have something special to celebrate.
2008-12-31 9:00 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Congrats Rob! Hope the roads clear out for you and you can get down to visit soon!

Jared- just wondering how slow is slow? I sort of did what you did by watching videos and reading the TI book, doing drills, etc and found that I improved as much as I could alone. So over the course of maybe one year, I went from 2:40 to 2:15/100 yds. And from gasping after 25 yds to swimming pretty comfortably for 2000 yds. But! I wish I had taken a few one on one lessons early last year, because there are a few things I do that are now ingrained in me...which is I practiced struggle without even knowing it. I did a TI clinic 2 weeks ago and just the underwater video footage alone was worth the entire $495. I am working really hard now to relax my kick and all along, I thought my kick was very quiet, but in the video, omg my legs were going crazy! And getting rid of this crossover that I was unknowingly doing is taking a very conscious effort to keep my arms wider, etc.

In retrospect, for me the clinic was good, because it pointed out some flaws in my technique and the instructors were able to give immediate body position feedback in the pool, while we'd be doing a drill. The local TI instructor here does one on one coaching too with video tape analysis, so that may have, in retrospect been a better choice. I am actually gliding now and not struggling with the water. I haven't really been timing myself but rather counting strokes and I've gone from something like 26/25 yds down to 19-20.

Good luck! If you read Bob Stock's swimming thoughts thread recently in tri talk, you'll see a lot of great advice that sounds like TI but I don't believe he is a TI taught swimmer. Many of the techniques for various swim techniques definitely overlap so if you don't have resources to a TI instructor, maybe a tri club in your area would have a recommendation for a swim coach/instructor.
2008-12-31 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Everyone have a wonderful New Year's Eve!!  Stay safe.   Here's a few jokes to share at the party tonight Money mouth

One day, a man came home and was greeted by his wife dressed in a very sexy nightie. "Tie me up," she purred, "and you can do anything you want."  So he tied her up and went golfing. (or riding if you are a triathlete.) 

A woman came home, screeching her car into the driveway, and ran into the house.  She slammed the door and shouted, "honey, pack your bags. I won the lottery!" "Oh my goodness! What should I pack, beach stuff or mountain stuff?"  "Doesn't matter." she said. "Just get out!"

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband. Suddenly, her husband burst into the kitchen. 'Careful,' he said, 'CAREFUL!  Put in some more butter!  Oh my gosh! You're cooking too many at once.  TOO MANY!  Turn them!  TURN THEM NOW!  We need more butter. Oh my gosh!  WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER?  They're going to STICK!  Careful.  CAREFUL!  I said be CAREFUL!  You NEVER listen to me when you're cooking!  Never!  Turn them!  Hurry up!  Are you CRAZY?  Have you LOST your mind?  Don't forget to salt them.  You know you always forget to salt them.  Use the salt.  USE THE SALT!  THE SALT!'  The wife stared at him.  'What in the world is wrong with you?  You think I don't know how to fry a couple of eggs?'  The husband calmly replied,  'I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I'm driving.'  

2008-12-31 10:19 AM

Ft Worth TX
I just read the swimming 40 second / length thing, this is good I will try it next time I am swimming. Congrats on the new baby
2008-12-31 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1878401

User image

Expert
B'ham

bragg69 - 2008-12-30 2:36 PM Need some advice. Last winter I taught myself to swim by basically reading articles and YouTube videos. At first I couldn’t swim a pool length without stopping for air but after awhile it finally clicked and I could swim long periods of time. The problem is during my tri's it became obvious that I was very slow and need to speed. Since the season ended I have not swim at all. Now I need to start swimming next week and I cannot decide whether it is a good idea to go back to my original swimming method and concentrate on technique and speed or to try "Total Immersion" in hopes I can learn it and gain the endurance required for my HIM in June. I have even thought about swimming according to my plan, but "staying late" and trying to learn TI. At first I thought staying late was the answer but I am worried that practicing two techniques will ultimately do more harm than good. Any ideas????

My only concern with "staying late"  to practice technique would be fatigue affecting the quality of your drills.  Proper technique is critical to swimming, sodoing some drills first and then doing your planned workout might be better.  Plus, you could then immediately apply what you were working on, rather than waiting until your next swim. 

My $0.02, not a coach no matter how you try to stretch the definition.

2008-12-31 10:32 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Ha Tracy love the jokes....The eggs one was stellar. I had to call my wife and tell her that one. It hits close to home!!

Congrats grandpappa Rob, and I hope all new new Tri Buddies have a fun and safe New Years Eve!!

Just remember to get out there tomorrow to start training towards thoses 2009 Goals!!!

2008-12-31 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1879271

User image

Expert
B'ham

Redknight - 2008-12-31 4:41 AM  ..... drum role for the big news.......... I am a grandpa again as of 4:40 yesterday afternoon. Little boy Myles Avery Davis 6lb 1oz, 18 1/2 inches. Little fella but chubby looking and healthy. I am hoping to get down to London to see them today if they get the roads cleared and my wife can get off work early if not then hockey and go down New years day. Oh yeah had to shovel snow again this morning already. Excercise exercise exercise I should look like a Chipendales dancer Well probably a mature more wrinkled version

Congrats Rob - hope you can make it down to see the little guy soon.  So, what's w/ the pounds and inches, don't you use kilos and cm's up there?

Side note so as not to have 3 consecutive posts:

I dropped my wedding ring off at the jewler yesterday to have it resized.  It kept falling off and had gotten so loose that sometimes I wouldn't even feel it come off.  The final straw was it hitting the men's room floor up at the mountain last week - GROSS!  So I guess I have to keep with this training stuff so I don't have to take it back to have the sizing reversed

Have a safe New Year everyone!

Peace

2008-12-31 11:26 AM

User image

Thanks for the advice.

My average swim times for the sprints were around 20 minutes for .5 miles. I don't know how slow this is but I was in the middle of the pack exiting the water. This probably shouldn't bother me but compared to my biking and running placement, the swimming needed the most improvement.

From your input I decided to have incoorperate the TI drills in my warm up and then swim normally until I feel comfortable doing with TI the entire time.

The pool I swim at is in a small town and I have asked and can only find one guy that teaches swimming, but as with small towns he and I have a past and likely his advice would include a rope and a bag of rocks. So I likely will just have to continue to teach myself, right or wrong. The nice thing about this pool is I can go swim during my lunch break and the majority of the time I have the entire pool to myself.

Again thanks for the advice and have a great NEW YEAR!!

2008-12-31 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Yes, definitely do drills first, no doubt about that.  Your technique will improve better since drills would tend to get sloppy if they were at the end of the workout.  Plus you get the added benefit of doing "regular swim" laps after drills, so you're immediately incorporating what you've just practiced, and your endurance will improve after being a little tired from the drills.

Love the Slapshot avatar!

2008-12-31 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Auburn AL
I hope everyone has a FAST new year!
2009-01-01 7:26 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Happy New Year everyone. I hope this is the best year ever for each and every one of you!!!!!

Tracy. Where did you see that baby shirt. I can't remember the website.

Edited by Redknight 2009-01-01 7:27 AM
2009-01-01 10:45 AM
in reply to: #1880848

User image

Expert
B'ham

Rob - I think you can find that stuff on Cafe Press. 

2009-01-01 10:49 AM

User image

Austin,TX

Injury Question...

So a couple days ago i had one of my long runs and ended up running around 8 miles (which was a high for me...yeah) but a couple hours after my run my foot started to really hurt and is at the point where it is very painful to walk and put any weight on (it is the outside of my right foot).  At first i thought it was just a bruise or something and then someone told me that i may have a stress fracture???  Has anyone every experienced anything like this and should i go to the doc or just stay off of it?  Also do you go to a regular doc or someone in Sports medicine?? 

This really sucks, i was starting to do really well and was very excited about some upcoming races!

2009-01-01 2:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Happy New Years!  It's a great day for a run here!

I have a pedal question.  I need some new ones and I think I am going to get these Shimanos:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24075&subcategory_ID=5245

Has anyone used them??  Opinions??  I know there are as many opinions on pedals as there are on saddles...  Just wondering if anyone has used them?

Karen

Edited by gadgetlaw 2009-01-01 2:24 PM
2009-01-01 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1881328

User image

Champion
gadgetlaw - 2009-01-01 2:23 PM

I have a pedal question.  I need some new ones and I think I am going to get these Shimanos:

Has anyone used them??  Opinions??  I know there are as many opinions on pedals as there are on saddles...  Just wondering if anyone has used them?

Karen

I have the Dura Ace version of these pedals and love them.  They are just slightly lighterweight than the ones you are considering.  I swear I have a smoother pedal stroke versus my old Shimano SPDs. Buy them!

2009-01-01 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1881059

User image

Champion
LTRAIN - 2009-01-01 10:49 AM

Injury Question...

So a couple days ago i had one of my long runs and ended up running around 8 miles (which was a high for me...yeah) but a couple hours after my run my foot started to really hurt and is at the point where it is very painful to walk and put any weight on (it is the outside of my right foot).  At first i thought it was just a bruise or something and then someone told me that i may have a stress fracture???  Has anyone every experienced anything like this and should i go to the doc or just stay off of it?  Also do you go to a regular doc or someone in Sports medicine?? 

This really sucks, i was starting to do really well and was very excited about some upcoming races!

First, I am not a doctor so the only way to know for sure what is causing the pain is to see a Sports Med doctor.  Often times, the cause is not what someone tells us or what we search for on the Internet so take comfort in that one. 

Here is the anatomy of the foot. Where exactly on the outside of the foot? the front towards the toes or the back by the heel?  Is there one spot that hurts when pushing on it? Does it hurt as much today as it first did? if you jump on that foot does it about send you through the roof?  A stress fracture typically has a localized spot when pressed on is really painful. The same can be said for jumping on it.  I recently had some foot issues and my sports med doctor also told me he is always more concerned about stress fracture when a runner has pain in the front of the foot (metatarsals) versus the back of the foot.

If you answered yes to any of the above, I would get it checked out by a Sports Med doctor and preferably one who runs.  I also would not run on it until it either feels significantly better or you have had the appointment and he gives you the green light.

If you have any other questions you can PM me.

Suzy

2009-01-02 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Man, I thought we got deleted - bottom of the page????  I for one slept in this morning, getting the new year off to a roaring start. 

(that doesn't mean I'm just getting up, lunch time here on the left coast)

Edited by cadmus 2009-01-02 1:44 PM
2009-01-02 2:02 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
LTrain--howz that foot of yours? I had some hamstring tightness after my run yesterday, tempo with hills...and swimming this morning made it all better. I love swimming the day after a run, it just seems to heal my old, achy bodyparts.

Have a great day everyone!

2009-01-02 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1881850

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
SSMinnow - 2009-01-01 9:47 PM
gadgetlaw - 2009-01-01 2:23 PM

Karen

I have the Dura Ace version of these pedals and love them.  They are just slightly lighterweight than the ones you are considering.  I swear I have a smoother pedal stroke versus my old Shimano SPDs. Buy them!

Thanks!  I am going to go order them now!  I'd go for the DA version, but I just bought a new saddle too! I think these will be good.  Thanks for the advice.

K

2009-01-02 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1881328

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
gadgetlaw - 2009-01-01 3:23 PM

Karen

Hey Karen. Those look like the ones I just bought. The guy at the bike store said they were very good with no wobble or looseness on the pedal. He said they were the same ones as he was using. Unfortunately up here in the frozen north I won't be able to try them out for a few months.

Edited by Redknight 2009-01-02 4:34 PM
2009-01-02 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Over the past few workouts I have been putting in longer times and find I am very tired about 3-4 hours after I am done. What type of nutrition/fueling would you suggest during my workouts of 1 - 2+ hours. I have generally been using only water but I think I need more. That may be why I am getting tired at the end of my workouts also.
2009-01-02 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1883165

User image

Expert
Auburn AL

Redknight - 2009-01-02 4:40 PM Over the past few workouts I have been putting in longer times and find I am very tired about 3-4 hours after I am done. What type of nutrition/fueling would you suggest during my workouts of 1 - 2+ hours. I have generally been using only water but I think I need more. That may be why I am getting tired at the end of my workouts also.

I am certainly not a nutrition expert, but I have just finished my workout for the day and am going to try to recover with a few beers over the ballgame.  I will let you know how it works out:-)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73