Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-12-16 12:01 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
Subject: swbkrun's group- CLOSED

NAME: SWBKRUN/ Steve
STORY: I am from Seattle and have been doing triathlons for approximately 10 years. I remember when I was 22 watching my wife do her 1st race. It was Danskin. I was so proud of her, but knew that that was something that I never would want to do!!! That is not my cup of tea I THOUGHT!!! Well I some how got suckered into a sprint the very next year, and thought that was "PRETTY FUN."

What's next? I tried another, and had more fun, then another, then the next distance. AN OLYMPIC DISTANCE! That was pretty fun, let's try something different. How about a marathon! WOW that was hard, but what a victory. Ok, I did that... Now let's try a 1/2 Ironman! UGH! TOUGH BUT GREAT.. ANOTHER VICTORY! That really only leaves the mother of all mothers!!

I have been a mentor since this program started 3 years ago, and LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!! WE WILL GO FAR TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!  My last group rocked and we have over 1900 post over the past few months!!! Get ready to be integrated with 3 sports, and everything that goes with it!  !!!  Look forward to meeting you!

That is right THE IRONMAN! It is logical in the steps of my life goals. I have done all other distances. This seems to be the next step, but wait! I said that I never wanted to do a triathlon 10 years ago, and here I am. I now proudly have a Ironman tattoo, and bragging rights for the rest of my life, but that is not enough! What is next? I don't know! Help me out, LET US HELP EACH OTHER OUT! WHAT IS THAT NEXT GOAL! Join my group, and I will make sure we ALL GET THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I  am ALWAYS looking for the next great adventure and push myself to where all my friends and family think I am stupid !!!! Or crazy
FAMILY STATUS: Married (KIM)almost 7 years, no kids, and a chocolate lab (KONA
CURRENT TRAINING: Training to me is the fun part.  More enjoyable than the races.... It's all about the journey with me!  I love getting out in different scenery, weather, people, etc.  I guess that I lack consistency in my workouts.  You won't see me on the treadmill everyday!
THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year I focused on Ironman Canada, so that was my "A" race and ended up finishing 30 minutes faster than 2 years ago.  I also did 1 1/2 Ironman in Prep for Canada, and WON MY AGE GROUP! 
2009 RACES:  This is still in the up in the air for me.  I will probably being doing 3 1/2 Ironman's (BOISE, LAKE STEVENS [both 70.3 series], and the Lake Chelan 1/2 Ironman.... BUT MY ACE RACE THIS YEAR I THINK IS GOING TO BE AN ULTRA MARATHON)

WEIGHTLOSS: I maintain a weight based strictly on exercise, and lucky genetics.  I am a huge fan of Pizza, Chips/Salsa, and JACK AND COKES!!!  
WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I will be a good mentor to you for several reasons!!! I am fun, energetic, encouraging, and am a realist!  I am no TYPE "A" personality, and I am an experienced MIDDLE OF THE PACKER!!! So should never be afraid to ask me questions, and I plan on learning from others, and being encouraged from others!!!

Edited by swbkrun 2008-12-19 10:03 AM

2008-12-16 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1856701

User image

Master
Small Town
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group- OPEN
I'd like to join your mentor group!

NAME: Jeremy Hagerman

STORY: I've been around BT for a while and I am just finding my groove.  January '07 I found myself as a career firefighter who was overweight by about 30 pounds (almost 210 pounds).  I decided to take part in a national 911 Fitness Challenge.  I dropped 35 pounds (I'm hovering around the 180's now) by getting on the treadmill.  At first I couldn't run half a mile without slowing to a walk.  At the end of the 12 week mark I was able to run about a 10-ish min/mile.  A co-worker convinced me to run a 5k.  I ran the whole race without slowing to a walk, I was stoked and also somehow convinced that I love to race.  A local triathlon was coming to my area, so I went to watch it... that was my goal -  to run that race the coming year (2008 I did it).  As I said, I'm just finding that groove and I need the extra encouragement and motivation to hit some new highs for the '09 season!

FAMILY STATUS: Married, a 2 and a half year old daughter and a baby due Jan 22, '09.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm kind of following a winter maintenance plan, but I'm still lacking the swim time.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 Sprint Tri's (both mid-pack finish in AG, just above avg OA), 1 half marathon (middle of the pack finish for AG), 1- 10k with 1st place AG and a few 5k's with a new PR of 23:01

2009 RACES: I just joined a team, and I'm not sure quite yet what my goals/race plans are yet.  I certainly hope to be able to compete in at least 1 Oly and would consider a HIM later in the year.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd like to drop about 2-3% BF, but maintain my apx weight of 176.

2008-12-17 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
B'ham

Hey Steve, Jeremy - I'm in too

Name: Matt 

Family Status:  Wife of 4+ years, 17 month old daughter and son due mid-March '09

Current Training: Not currently following any sort of plan, just kind of going with the flow.  Maintaining decent run volume and have recently fallen in love with Trail running.  Seriously lacking on pool time this winter, so I could use a little push in that regard.  I've also been going to Spin and Sport Circuit classes at the gym to help maintain cardio/strength fitness.  Cycling isn't much of an option here in the winter, though I do moutain bike - so I guess I'm just lazy in that regard.

2008 Races: Lost my tri-virgin card at a Sprint in July, did another sprint in August.  Also complted my first 5k, 15k and Half-Marathons - All MOP

2009 Goals: Up in the air.  Maybe I'm using the new baby as an excuse to be non-committal on a HIM, I don't know.  I'd say an Oly is on the radar for sure, and possibly the Grand Columbian HIM in September - we shall see.  The status of competing in this year's sprints again in '09 is really dependent on whether I decide to go for the HIM or not. 

Weightloss: Not really a goal any longer.  I lost about 25 lbs this year training for my races and I'm comfortable where I'm at.  So the goal here is to maintain, or at least not gain.

Alright, let's get this party started!!! 

2008-12-17 11:14 AM

User image

Pro

Matt, Jeremy....

Welcome aboard.  We will be in the "staging area" for a little bit, then we were move into the open section we will get the ball rolling in here.  Welcome aboard.  It seems as though you 2 have the same goals.... KIDS!!!!

2008-12-17 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Small Town

Yeah no kidding!  Kids.

Matt,  I think that besides the children, we're still in a similar boat here. I look forward to the next few months!

2008-12-17 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Can girls play too?

Name:  Tracy (tahrens)

Story:  I was a college athlete who coached for several years post college. But then the kids came and my sports involvement went away. I got involved in cycling and loved it, so when a friend convinced me to do a super sprint at the end of the season in 2007 my only hang up was the running.  But I over came that and had a fabulous time.  I've even convinced my husband and another friend to race tri's and they love it too. 

Family status:  Married to Doug for 10 years with an 8 year old and a 5 year old girl.

Current training:   The family really makes training a challenge.  Especially with a husband that trains as well.  I should be a lot more active than I am at the moment because I have 5 months 'til my first 1/2. But so far this winter I have tried to sneak in runs and swims and I started lifting again. (girls with muscles rock!!)

2008 Races:  2 sprints, one of which was my first open water swim.  I was a seaweed monster leaving the lake from that one!!  My first Olympic...The SavageMan.  That wasn't a race, it was a total challenge to my womanhood. I did it and I wasn't even last!!  Ggggrrrrrrr.  The Army 10 miler (wow was that hard), a 60 mile bike charity ride, and a repeat of the super sprint that started me off. I took over 5 minutes off last years time and it was a great marker of the progress I've made this year! Like I said earlier, when I started I couldn't run 2 miles without stopping.

2009 Races:  I'll be doing my first 1/2 in May if I can get my butt in gear with the training. A few sprints, The SavageMan again, the Army 10 miler again, a half mary somewhere, and the supersprint with my daughter for the first time!!!  She raced a kids tri last year and had a fabulous time. She is excited to race with me and this super sprint is perfect for her.

Weightloss:  I'm fortunate that weight loss doesn't have to be a focus for me.  I am working on getting stronger with much better muscle definition.

I was a part of this group last year and am very excited to continue my training into 2009 with them. I know I will not be successfull with my 2009 goals without their support.   

I'm excited to meet everyone and have a great 2009 season. 

2008-12-17 12:23 PM

User image

Pro

Tracy some of the most impressive arms/abs that I see on women have been at the rock climbing!  They are constantly using their CORE muscles.  Give it a shot!!! 

And YES GIRLS ARE WELCOME!!!!

2008-12-17 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1859015

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

I'm in for another year of course.

Name: Tony

Family Status:  Married for almost 15 years have 2 kids 4 and 2.   My wife is faster on the run but I can take her on the swim and bike : )  She does tri's also. 

Current Training: In winter maintenance mode right now + 2 weeks into a runners world half marathon plan.  Basically doing 3 runs, 2-3 swims, 1-2 bikes a week.

2008 Races: Did my first sprint in april and in total 4 sprints, 1 int'l bike relay, 1 full int'l, also completed 4 miler, 8k, 5 miler, and a 10k.

2009 Goals: Still working on that.  Currently signed up for 1/2 marathon & 10 miler.  Plan on doing a bunch of sprints and a few international's.  I also want to do some TT's, Muddy buddy's, Adventure races, Xterra and a Fall marathon. 

Other goals include getting better at the swim, if I felt more comfortable in the water, HIM wouldn't be a problem to complete.

Weightloss: Working on trying to get a few pounds off but weight loss isn't a real goal.

Just wanted to add that this is my 2nd year in Steve's group along with Tracy and Matt (sure the rest will be here soon) and we had alot of fun in our group last year. oh yeah and Steve isn't yelling when he types in caps, that just means he is EXCITED!

Edited by dalessit 2008-12-17 1:00 PM
2008-12-17 4:24 PM

User image

Pro
Yeah sorry about that Tony.  I tend to use that when I am excited.... I keep forgetting this is not correct PC USAGE!!! !!!
2008-12-18 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Can I be part of your group?  I will post more when I am not sitting on a conference call , but I am going to be a second year triathlete and need some advice and inspiration as I step it up a bit.

Suzy

2008-12-18 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1860679

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hey, we are back in the big time now.

Hello everyone.

2008-12-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1858853

User image

Expert
B'ham
JHagerman - 2008-12-17 9:29 AM

Yeah no kidding!  Kids.

Matt,  I think that besides the children, we're still in a similar boat here. I look forward to the next few months!

Yeah, we'll have some notes to compare!!

2008-12-18 10:32 AM

Ft Worth TX
I would like to join your group.

I am a experienced sprint tri person, I have done 3 MS 150's and I was a college swimmer.
I am working on my running, did 2 half marathons ( Dallas Half and White rock half in nov an dec). I am considering doing some longer distance tri's and I would like the mentoring about what to do to prepare for oly or 1/2 ironman.

I am working on weight loss, would like to lose the last 10.
2008-12-18 10:49 AM

User image

Regular
Lewiston, ID
I would like to join your group

Name: Mcfars00/ Shawn McFarland

Story: I have always admired the Ironman athletes since High school (many years ago) I swam and biked growing up and I thought it would be fun to participate but just never did. Well about 7 years ago I was in a major car accident and most of my activity was crushed (along with my femur) I packed on the weight. 2 years ago I decided to have 1 more surgery, making it 13 in 5 years. This one was a gastric bypass and that has made a difference I will never be able to portray. 3 months after the surgery(sept 2007) I ran my first sprint at 330lbs I was 2nd to the last but I finished. I was hooked. I am not the typical body type for triathlons but I have yet to be in a race where anyone is looking at the fat kid and laughing.. Acceptance and support of all types is one of the things that have impressed me about the sport.

I am also one of the finish line volunteer captains at IM CDA. I am still in awe as I was 20 years ago of the people that come across that line.

Family Status: Married 10 years 2 kids (girl 15, boy 5)

Current Training: Consistency is my weak point I could get on the bike and ride for miles, Swim no problem. Run/Walk I can do that too but I need to start doing it day in and day out.

This Years Races: Bloomsday(Spokane,WA) run in May, Boise 70.3(DNF at mile 7 of the run leg issues), CDA Olympic triathlon, and Palouse sprint.

2009 Races: LC spring duathlon, LC spring Sprint, BloomsDay 12k, Boise 70.3, CDA oly, and Palouse Sprint. Possibly ST George Utah marathon in Oct if I get in.

Weight Loss: I need to lose another 50 or so but that will come ?

I am looking for a group that will give me support when I work hard and a virtual SMACK!!! When I don’t ?
2008-12-18 11:01 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Count me in . I will complete all the required paper work?? ASAP.
Thanks and welcome to all the newcomers to the site.
2008-12-18 11:29 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

Sign me up. My story.....Grew up living a very active lifestyle. As a Canadian boy, obviously hockey was No#1. Volleyball, baeball,etc. When I moved up to Calgary, did alot of mountain biking with our glorious rocky mountains nearby. Then the downfall, got married, had kids and got fat. Joined a gym about 1 year ago, got a trainer for a few months and shed alot of the weight..Down about 45 lbs so far. Hit my long-term training goal weight of 210lbs, and thought hmm..what can I make my new goal now? Not sure what led my into the Triathlon thoughts, but  I have always despised running, so I thought this would be a great way to mix up my training and get my out of my comfort zones.

why yes thanks for asking, I am a Tri-Virgin.

FAMILY STATUS: Married  almost 5 years, 2 little girls (3 1/2 and 1 1/2), and a Wheaten Terrier ready for the name...Yes KONA( we were married in Hawaii)
CURRENT TRAINING: Getting cold up here in Canada, so outdoor training is getting very 'seasonal.' Gym rat lately, swim 5:30am 3 days aweek, have the bike and trainer in the basement.

Ran my 1st ever 5Km last week: 30 minutes 20 seconds.Was happy with that knowing that i could have below 30 minutes had there not been 1200 people running with me!!

2009 RACES:  My 1st Tri will be in Vanouver in March. Sprint --800m swim, 20km bike, and 5km run...Ideally would love to do 4 or 5 more during the season, and be ready for an Oly next year.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 6' 205 lbs....So i could lose 10-15lbs comfortably still....

I do all my training by myself as life is very 'inconsistent' to say the very least. I look forward to talking with others, so keep me on the right path.

Edited by TrevorC 2008-12-18 1:32 PM

2008-12-18 11:52 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Do you still have openings?  If so, I'd like to join the group too.  I'll post a little more info about myself on my lunch hour (supposed to be working right nowSmile). 

Janet

2008-12-18 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Hey, let me know if I can play too!!!  This will be my second year of tris.  Last year I did two sprints and want to move up this year!  I could use all the help you all can provide.  More info will come later.

Karen 

2008-12-18 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Hi, I would like to join the group if there is still room.
NAME: Buckshot / Mark Loken

STORY:  I turned 40 in August and I suppose this is my midlife crisis?!?  I joined a health club and have started running.  I have a past history of running up to the marathon distance; however once I had children, everything began to fall apart with running and personal time in general.  I have always been interested in triathlons and have decided to participate in several next year.  I have full support of my family and am interested to really see what I can do in this sport.  I am having a blast on BT and with my training thus far.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 2 daughters (10 & 7)

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently working on building a base of running and indoor cycling.  I can comfortably run 4-6 miles and participate in two hour long spin classes per week.  I also try to fit in two cardio, strength training classes per week.  My family is giving me a Kinetic Road Machine for Christmas, so, I will be able to ride at home this winter. 

2009 RACES:  My main goal is the Lifetime Olympic distance in July.  I have targeted one or two earlier sprint distance events.  Depending on how the year progresses, I may try to do something longer in the fall. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  I have lost 16 pounds since August and would like to lose another 16 pounds.  I can't believe how much better I feel already. 

Edited by Buckshot 2008-12-18 12:41 PM
2008-12-18 12:46 PM

User image

Pro

Hi to all!! I am so excited.... This year we are going to have a great group.  We have had 4 or 5people stay with me from the last group and I wanted this for a couple reasons: 1) to continue to motivate each other and help us all progress. 2) To add insight into their experience's in their 1st year or 2 of Triathlon! 

We were very active in our post (over 1900 post) in the last season.  A lot of it was triathlon talk, some poking fun.  I am always a fan of people talking about there success!  You will see that I am also encouraging of people to push themselve's beyond their comfort level. 

This is going to be a great session, and good group!  The more people have, the more opinions (and different) we can get.  Lot's of Different perspectives!!!! 

2008-12-18 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

So as a total newb to this process and website what happens now? How do we set up the groups,etc.

2008-12-18 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Here's a little about me:

NAME: soccermom15 / Janet

STORY:  I’m a 44 year old wife and mother who decided 2 years ago that I wanted to start doing things for me.  I volunteered at a local sprint triathlon and decided that it was something I wanted to try.  Being pretty out of shape at the time, I decided to start with the running since I knew it would be the hardest thing for me at the time.  A little more than 2 years later and I’m doing well with the running.  I completed my first half marathon in November.  I’m not going to win any speed awards, but at least I can finishSmile. 

My plan was to build my base up with the biking and swimming over the winter while training for a spring half marathon and then switch to more specific tri training after that.  The tri that I’m looking at isn’t until August although I know there is at least one other in my area in June, so depending on how things go I may consider doing that one for my first. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 teenagers (1 boy, 1 girl), 2-1/2 cats (the ½ is because she’s not technically ours – we’re fostering her for the Humane Society until she finds a permanent home).

CURRENT TRAINING: Current training has been pretty much non-existent for the last month or so, although it’s not from lack of desire.  I’ve been sick on and off for the last 4 weeks or so.  Hopefully I’m finally over it and am planning to start back with serious training this weekend.  Anyway, the plan looks like this: longer runs on the weekends, shorter runs/tempo runs twice during the week, stationary bike twice a week (until the weather warms up, then I’ll be riding outside), and swimming twice a week.  Days for each vary depending on work and kids’ schedules. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I did a bunch of 5k’s, 2 10k’s, 1 5-miler, 1 10-miler, a quarter marathon and one half marathon this past year

2009 RACES:  So far for 2009 I am planning on a bunch of shorter races (running), 2 half marathons, and a sprint triathlon (possibly 2 depending on how the training goes).  Toying with the idea of moving up to Olympic distance in 2010 (the OWS scares me
Embarassed). 

Not much else to say about me except that I'm a newbie to this so I'm looking forward to any and all advice I can get from those with experience.

Janet

2008-12-18 1:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Oklahoma City, OK

If your group is still open, I would like to join too.  I am new to triathlon (09 will be my 2nd season) and to BT as well. 

STORY:  I am in Oklahoma, 35yo (36 in Jan.) and did my first sprint in Aug. of this year.  I loved it!!  I also did a couple of bike races and 5k's.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 13 years and we have a 9yo son & a 3yo German Shepherd

CURRENT TRAINING:  I think I probably enjoy the training more than the actual racing.  Right now I am really working on my swiming...technique, endurance & try to get in the pool 3 times a week.  I am also doing spin class once a week as well as 1 out door ride per week and run when I can.   Somewhere in their I try to squeeze in 2 days of weights.

2009 RACES:  Right now I have 2 sprints, 2 olympics & my first HIM set for 2009. 

WEIGHTLOSS:  Just need to lose that last 10 pounds!

2008-12-18 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1861430

User image

Master
Small Town
TrevorC - 2008-12-18 1:57 PM

So as a total newb to this process and website what happens now? How do we set up the groups,etc.

Heya TrevorC - All that you need to do is confirm that you want to join *this* group: swbkrun

And to do that, just post info about yourself (as others here have done) so we can get to know you and your history and goals.  From here on out just pop in this thread and post your questions, concerns or anything on (or off) topic.  

Swbkrun is our mentor and he will oversee our group and help to either answer our questions or find the answer.  

So tell us about yourself, welcome to the BT site and welcome to our thread!

2008-12-18 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1861392

User image

Expert
Missouri
swbkrun - 2008-12-18 12:46 PM

You will see that I am also encouraging of people to push themselve's beyond their comfort level. 

This is going to be a great session, and good group!  The more people have, the more opinions (and different) we can get.  Lot's of Different perspectives!!!! 

This is exactly what I need - someone to push me past my comfort zone.  My husband is supportive but doesn't push me and I'm not always good with the self-motivation either.  So I'm looking forward to getting some of that here.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 73