BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-02-09 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1953399

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)

HARDCandy - 2009-02-09 6:43 PM PS Does anyone have myspace links?????

not myspace, but I am on facebook. 

2009-02-09 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1953394

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)
HARDCandy - 2009-02-09 6:42 PM

Okay, I know everyone has different opinions but whith those set aside what items.....when on a budget should you get for your first Tri.....or what is most important.

my thoughts are

Swim- Swim Suit (have $40) wet suit (used plan to spend about $100) goggles ($10) cap (?)

Run- shoes (got fitted spent $100) .....anything else here????

Bike- correct shorts (?) helmet ($50) bike*($0-$1500)

* okay I have a $100 Target Mountain bike....it is slow and not good at hitting gears....but dont want to spend a million yet.  But dont want to be fighting my bike my first tri. So should I use this bike (uh), buy a older used road bike and tune it up $300, buy a newer used road bike $750, buy a new bike $1500 

Anything else I need to invest in.....and help in the bike area.....I have read many a posts that say ride what you have.....but when what you have is horrible....wont it make the bike portion even worse???!!

Thanks for your help in advance

Here is my experience from my Target bike in my first tri.  My rear derailleur broke on mile 12 of the 14 mile bike leg.  Not good. I refused to DNF my first race so I ran my bike back the two miles in my bike shoes and then finished the run.  If I could do it again, I would have upgraded my bike before my first race.  If you have the money, I would look for either a used bike or a deal on last years models.  

2009-02-10 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1857347

User image

Hey everyone!

I haven't posted on here in a while, sorry to be out of the loop.  We basically have been in the process of firing our union.  Its hard to get anything achieved when the union always sends a personal friend of your Administration to do negotiating for you.

Training plans are about to be thrown all out of wack as well.  I been told that I will be transfered to the patrol section.  I bounce to every shift for the next 3-4moths and attend a lot of refresher training(considering its been 8 years since I was in the basic academy)

ebshot, I never had any luck with bikes from Target.  Both my wife and I purchased bikes from them.  Mine broke down the first 5 miles I rode it. Parts kept falling off of both of them even though we would tighten everything up before each ride.  I however do feel confident enough to ride my Walmart bike for my first tri.  I've put many miles on it and it still rides well

2009-02-10 3:05 PM

User image

Lubbock

Okay, not trying to get carried away on the bike conversation...cuz I know it is a hot topic with a lot of people.  I obviously am not looking to get a bike where to win Kona (hahaha)

But, i dont want a high maintenance bike.....chain falls off during a race as a normal occurrance....what price level do I need to be at to get some sort of reliability, that it will get me there......and shift nicely while doing so???? also tires...that will hold up since I am a big girl.

Can I get this in a older road bike or do I need a newer one? 

Any input is great....ultimatley I will need to decide but was looking for some advices!!!!Thanks!!!

2009-02-10 5:26 PM

User image

weird-human-transportation-treadmill-bike-photo.jpg

So, if I use this, does it mean I can knock out my bike and run sections of my sprint at the same time?

Edited by TheSloth 2009-02-10 5:26 PM
2009-02-10 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1955290

User image

Expert

You can get a nice hybrid bike at a bike shop for around $300. Any of the major brands make them : Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc. They are an upright comfortable riding position without knobby tires. Those knobby tires slow you down on pavement big time because of their added rolling resistance. If your not sure about this sport, that is the type of bike you can ride recrationally the rest of your life. I would caution that the bikes you buy at a Target, Wal-Mart or even large chain sporting goods store like Dick's are different than ones you would buy at a bike shop. Some of the manufacturers even have separate models (Schwinn) to sell in the discount stores. They are usually made of inferior components and weigh a ton.

Going from a mt or hybrid bike to even the lowest level of road bike is like losing 50 pounds and then running. But, I would make sure that is what you want before making the investment.

Go find a bike shop with friendly people and talk to them, they should help you with your decision. If they are snooty or turn their nose up at you (some might) just leave and go somewhere else!!

2009-02-10 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1955290

User image

Expert
Sorry for the double post, but there are a million BTers in TX (Britney for one). Ask them where to go and you will save time.....
2009-02-10 7:40 PM
in reply to: #1955718

User image

Expert

And one more for all you warm weather pixies from todays training day :

2009-02-10 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1955715

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
gator22 - 2009-02-10 7:38 PM

You can get a nice hybrid bike at a bike shop for around $300. Any of the major brands make them : Trek, Specialized, Giant, etc. They are an upright comfortable riding position without knobby tires. Those knobby tires slow you down on pavement big time because of their added rolling resistance. If your not sure about this sport, that is the type of bike you can ride recrationally the rest of your life. I would caution that the bikes you buy at a Target, Wal-Mart or even large chain sporting goods store like Dick's are different than ones you would buy at a bike shop. Some of the manufacturers even have separate models (Schwinn) to sell in the discount stores. They are usually made of inferior components and weigh a ton.

Going from a mt or hybrid bike to even the lowest level of road bike is like losing 50 pounds and then running. But, I would make sure that is what you want before making the investment.

Go find a bike shop with friendly people and talk to them, they should help you with your decision. If they are snooty or turn their nose up at you (some might) just leave and go somewhere else!!

GREAT advice here on the bikes!! I wish I could point out some good shops, and I could if you were in Houston, Austin, or Dallas (or nearby) but I don't know Lubbock! I do know someone who did live there, so if you don't know where some of the local bike shops are and want to know, let me know and I'll ask her. I know there are some there, I just don't know their names!!  That being said, at sprints and first tri's you will see EVERYTHING in the realm of bikes.  It all really comes down to how much you plan to race and do this, or if this is just a test race for you.  If you've been riding your bike and are comfortable that it will go the distance...you don't have to spend tons of money for one race.  New vs. used...you can get some good deals, and often local bike shops will have some on consignment as well.

As for your other gear stuff, if you want to stay with this sport for a couple of races, I'd encourage a pair of tri shorts and a tri top instead of a swimsuit unless you want to race the whole time in a swimsuit (which some people do, that's okay if you're comfortable with it).  Tri-short have a chamois (padding) in them that isn't as thick as normal bike shorts, but does the job.  The beauty of tri-shorts are that you can swim, bike, and run in them.  No changing ever needed.  BUT, for a sprint, especially if you're just trying it out, you would be fine coming out of the swim and throwing some shorts on finishing up that way.  You can find some pretty decent deals online, especially with most places having clearance deals to get rid of '08 stuff for '09 stuff.

I assume you do have a helmet right?  That is required! The only other thing I would add that you might want and didn't list is a race belt...either buy one or make something like it...a race belt can be used during normal running races and tri's--it simply keeps you from having to "pin" the number onto your shirt...that can take time and is hard to do when you're winded! Race belt you can just grab in T1 or T2 (some races you have to wear the number during the bike too) and snap it around your waist.

Oh, you asked swim cap...check with your race, but you most likely will have one GIVEN to you in the race packet.  They typically do race waves by cap color and there will be different ones.  So, you shouldn't have to buy one for the race.  I train with one and have one I got before the races, now I have a drawer of them (mostly pink, and yuck, I hate pink).

Hope this wasn't too much.

Kirk, I got cold just looking at that picture....BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

2009-02-12 12:33 AM
in reply to: #1955837

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
gator22 - 2009-02-10 7:38 PM

You can get a nice hybrid bike  .........

...... an upright comfortable riding position........

I have a nice hybrid bike (Trek 7.2FX with road tires).  It rides GREAT!  but...  I originally bought it to use as a commuter bike.  It paid for itself in about 6 months from gas savings last year :-)  With that said, I wish I would have bought a road bike.  I find after several miles I wish I could change my hand position and/or move into a different position (more aerodynamic).  

Another option, if you plan on buying a new bike from a bike shop, is to rent a bike for the race.  Most shops will allow you to credit the money you spend on the rental towards a new bike within a certain period of time.  I am planning on completing an olympic distance in Sept and am currently saving my pennies now for a new bike, but MAY use the rent option before purchasing, just to make sure that is what I want.

My planned equipment for first sprint race next month: 

I have my running shoes (paid $70 - last year's model closeout, current model $120!)

Plan on buying tri shorts ($50 at local shop) and going shirtless in pool, then wearing a current workout shirt for the bike and run.  I know 'shirtless' isn't really an option for you ladies.  :-)

Riding current hybrid bike.  Although that bike TheSloth posted looks interesting!

... also goggles and helmet.  Need to look into the race belt, haven't thought of that one. Guess I should try swimming with a swim cap at some point too.  Not much red hair left to worry about :-)

---

Wes

2009-02-12 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1958231

User image

Expert
I am off to Disney World with the wife and kids. I shall be gone for a week and then I need to come back and crush it!!

2009-02-12 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1958340

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

gator22 - 2009-02-12 7:27 AM I am off to Disney World with the wife and kids. I shall be gone for a week and then I need to come back and crush it!!

Awesome!  Hope you have a great time!!

2009-02-13 6:53 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
6 dozen cookie's done last night.  A bazillion cupcakes on tap this morning (I've been up since 4:30).  I love Valentine's day!  I'll post pictures when they are done.  Can I log all this baking????
2009-02-13 8:20 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Kirk--HAVE FUN. Erica- my goodness that's a lot of baking....don't eat too much cookie dough!

So, I finally have a respite from my crazy work.  It's been a little of an insane past two weeks.  Thank goodness this was a less workout week because I have missed some stuff thanks to life getting in the way.  Now it's nearly RACE time and I'm finally excited about it! I don't think I'll PR this weekend, but I'm looking forward to having a good time.  I'm doing the 1/2 Marathon, and last year was when I did my first full at this race and it was awesome, so I like the race a lot. I'm heading down to Austin this afternoon to get my race packet and do a couple of "Austin" things. I'll have to wake up pretty early on Sunday to get from here to Austin, but I have a friend going with me, so that'll be nice.

Not only do we have a long weekend, but I also am taking Tues-Thurs to help my parents pack out for their move to Buffalo!

2009-02-13 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1958340

User image

Have a great trip!
2009-02-15 4:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Let me know if this has already been covered and I just missed it, but what is a good method of laying out your transition? 

I have a pool swim, so do I just walk around barefooted before the race and leave everything in transition -- or do people wear flip flops and such?  Maybe a dumb question, just curious :-)

Do you lay out your bike and running shoes, hat, sunglasses, race belt, neatly on a towel or something under your bike?

This is one area I can see myself being VERY slow - so any tips you guys have out there might keep me from finishing 2nd to last to 3rd from last!  :-)

---

Wes

2009-02-15 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1963336

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
wkirbytri - 2009-02-15 4:41 PM

Let me know if this has already been covered and I just missed it, but what is a good method of laying out your transition? 

I have a pool swim, so do I just walk around barefooted before the race and leave everything in transition -- or do people wear flip flops and such?  Maybe a dumb question, just curious :-)

Do you lay out your bike and running shoes, hat, sunglasses, race belt, neatly on a towel or something under your bike?

This is one area I can see myself being VERY slow - so any tips you guys have out there might keep me from finishing 2nd to last to 3rd from last!  :-)

---

Wes

Not dumb questions, and seriously, practicing transitions is a GOOD thing.  At least lay your stuff out, figure out what is most comfortable of a layout for you.  Because your race is a pool swim, you could stash flip flops somewhere before getting in the pool. People do this for open water swims too, just depends on whether you want to or not. Barefoot is fine, it's what I do.  You don't need them when you get out of the water unless, for some reason the ground is just horrible for barefoot running. Just get out of the pool and go. 

Okay, here is a picture  of one of mine form this past year.  Just remove the cap and goggles as I would've had those on my head when I started the swim.  So, first, I have a bright, easy to notice towel. I set up things in the order I like to put them on. Here, I had some issues with the Garmin snapping on the bike, so I was going to slip it on my wrist right out of the swim, then the bike shoes, then my glasses (it was a morning where it was dark and you couldn't tell if it was going to be rainy--which was possible--or sunny, thus, I had two glasses), then my helmet...it's off I go on the bike.For the run, I have my socks, already rolled, on top of my shoes (which I ended up not wearing) and my race belt, visor, and bottle together.  The ONLY thing going from T2 to the run that you need to put on in transition are your shoes.  Don't waste time putting the race belt and hat on...just grab them and GO, do that on the move. 

So, goes like this: out of the water to T1: take off cap/goggles before getting to  bike shoes, glasses, helmet, GO.  Come in from the bike (I take my feet out of the shoes as I come into transition and pedal with barefeet on top), take off helmet, put on shoes, grab hat/race belt and GO. Put hat and race belt on as I'm running out of T2. Run race course. Cross the Finish Line as a triathlete!

2009-02-16 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1963362

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Thanks for the info and the visual! 

You run without socks?!  Is this common?

I've only had my "bike" shoes and pedals for a few weeks and I've already broken them   Okay, the pedals aren't broken, but they got stuck on my right foot yesterday and wouldn't come out and I guess I broke/stripped the screws right out of my shoe!  I wonder if this had to do with bad setup (settings too tight..) or cheap shoes.  Hmmm.. back to biking in tennis shoes unless I break down and buy different shoes.  Maybe the bike store will take back the shoes -- not sure if it's a shoe problem or a user problem :-)

---

Wes

2009-02-16 6:10 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

Wes, I don't run or bike w/o socks.  I roll my socks, well like a condom, and then unroll them onto my feet.  Works like a charm and only takes a few seconds!

I picked up my new bike today!!!!!!!!  I got it home and on the trainer.  Super excited.  I haven't had my fit yet but I am in love.  I plan to jump on tomorrow and spin away!  I'll post picutres after I clean my house!

2009-02-17 8:13 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

Here's a few pic's.  Yeah, I know, my seat is too high!   Now I must ride my heart out for the next 30 days and see if the 56 is too big or if I'm good to go. 

2009-02-17 10:04 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

YAY!!! CONGRATS Erica!! I'm so excited for you! Welcome to the world of the bike owner! I wish you very many happy miles together.  When you name him, let us know! 

Wes--reference riding/biking without socks: riding the bike without socks is easier than running without socks.  It takes some practice, but I can't imagine riding with socks (except in the cold) these days, and have no blister issues at all.  When I run without socks, I body glide the inside of my shoes where I know I might get hot spots, but I train this way too--in fact, now that my 1/2 Marathon is over and my Half-Iron is next, I'm going to start training without socks again.  I simply went to it because it makes my transitions that much faster.  It is NOT necessary for everyone, I do it because I'm too dang competitive.  For Ironman, however, I WILL wear socks.  I don't mind taking the few extra seconds there to put socks on my feet. 

2009-02-17 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1965873

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
Nice bike Erika! Yeah for you!!
2009-02-18 12:05 PM

Ann arbor, Michigan

Hey folks,  Sorry to be gone....really sorry to be gone.  I lost my house (nevermind my brand new bike) to a fire a week or so ago.  Curse it we may, but thank God for insurance.  Now, its just a painful process.  My family and I are fine.  We were not there at the time.  So, back to square one on a lot of life issues.

As you would imagine, I missed some training dealing with the fire and the resulting emotions.  Those same emotions drove me back to the pool and treadmill a little after a week only to find that SLAM, I've lost at least two-three weeks of endurance on both.  Argh, that almost hurts more.  I had really crossed a threshold in my training and was enjoying and looking forward to it.  Now I'm laboring again and struggling to find time with yet another thing that I have to do.

But in both, I'll come through.  Such is life.  Might have to forgoe that 1/2 marathon that I was eyeing in early April if my lungs don't kick back on pretty quick.  Coming back here for inspiration!  Let's race!

2009-02-18 2:14 PM

Ann arbor, Michigan
Hey Brittany,Since I do have to buy another bike what shops would you recommend in Austin and Houston?
2009-02-18 3:43 PM

User image

ebshot,

New bike is a beauty! I hope that it serves you well.

kishop,

Sorry to hear about you're house fire.  I'm glad that your family is safe.

I'm kind of bummed that the sprint I picked to do has been postponed to a date TBA.  I thought it would have been cool to bike and run around the OSU campus.  There is a sprint the following weekend closer to home that I may do as my first race.

Brittany,

Thanks for the picture showing your transition setup.  One quick question: is there a universally accepted way to number yourself and your gear, or does it vary from race to race? Is the number belt worn during the biking leg or just during the run?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  

of 20