BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-01-29 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1866775

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim
Tonight is weigh in. I follow Weight Watchers plan but go to TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) meetings. Hmm, $3/month vs $12/week. Not a difficult decision. Plus the members at TOPS are so friendly. It is a much more supportive group than WW.

This week I wrote everything that went in my mouth with the exception of the pot luck lunch yesterday. I did write pot luck on my sheet just not all of the individual items.

Glad to hear you are healing and have been able to do the bike that is amazing to me.

I admire you people that work out in the cold weather.

I had to take a rest day yesterday-teenager drama and arguing. Would anyone like a 17 year old girl (18 on April 4th). Great kid boyfriend from hell. We think she will come around (or at least we hope so). Tonight will probably be a 58 min on the bike or a 17 min run.

2009-01-30 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I had a good easy swim yesterday at lunch. I did 1 x 250 yards warm up then just one set of 1000 yards - I am not sure of the time - the clock is had to see - but it was either 16:20 or 17:20 for the set. Either way that is the fastest that I have ever swam that distance - and it was easy!

My weight has really bounced around a lot this month - I am down 3.2 pounds but have been down as much as 6.2 this month. I have cheated too many times. I also believe that the off peak week of training has played a major role. This has been a recovery week - training hours have dropped from a high last week of just over 12 hours to about 8 hours this week. However, I have eaten the same amount. On a positive, I have diversified my work day eating routine. I have been preparing meals in advance and taking them into work. I had previously completely relied on oatmeal, protein powder and tuna. I am going to continue the diet and get down to my 'racing' weight.
2009-01-30 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Lost 1.2 lbs this week.

James-awesome swim. Good for you preparing meals. I think I would get really tired of oatmeal, protein powder and tuna. Are you filling up with lost of fruits and veggies?
2009-01-30 9:16 AM

I've lost 12 lbs since 01/16. 

Just catching up on the posts now.  Sorry, been away from the group.  Just plain busy.

2009-01-30 12:02 PM

New user
Congrats on the weight loss everyone. I just started nutrition this week with Sherm's goals so I lost 6 pounds before holidays, gained it back, and now back down 4 out of the 6, sigh.

Jill - I have a 15 yr old daughter, already giving me gray hair, not looking forward to more years of drama

dripfam - yippee on your recovery and riding your bike good job and great husband for giving you the trainer

micro - I tried protein in my oatmeal and it was coagulated and gross oatmeal and tuna, geez you are dedicated, waayyyy more than me

2009-01-30 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The oatmeal and tuna are in separate bowls!

2009-01-31 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Ken-good to see you back and awesome weight loss.

Trudee-I can send my 17 year old your way so you can get better prepared for your DD

James-thank god the tuna and oatmeal are in different bowls because that is just gross if they weren't

This week has been awful for training. I started working before 5 a.m. yesterday. Took about an hour to get ready and post to my various threads (yes I could have worked out instead) and then didn't stop working until 8:00 p.m. I was exhausted last night and didn't drag myself to the gym to change and ride the bike. I should be done with the major deadline today or tomorrow and then I have the tax deadlines (personal & corporate) to get all of the stuff ready for both jobs but that isn't the same kind of pressure.

I am going to a swim lesson tomorrow. That will be fun. I enjoy swimming and want to improve. I don't remember if I told all of you that I was able to run for 8 minutes straight on Tuesday. That was exciting for me to see and prove to myself. I think that I will try to go for 5R/1W for awhile and see if I can sustain that for the duration of my run days. For my short run day I dragged myself this week to the TM. I wasn't even at 3MPH the whole time. Very pathetic. At least this week was my tapper down week. Next week it is back up there. I should be able to get my workouts in. I hope there is less drama with the DD.

2009-01-31 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1928200

Champion
No excuses!

Hit some road bumps this week and had to take a couple of days off (Thurs and Fri)

Back at it again today, got in a 1:40 on the trainer.

2009-01-31 7:35 PM
in reply to: #1937206

Champion
No excuses!
K Robert - 2009-01-30 10:16 AM

I've lost 12 lbs since 01/16. 

Just catching up on the posts now.  Sorry, been away from the group.  Just plain busy.

Wow, how'd you do it?

2009-01-31 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree 12 pounds in 2 weeks? Wow!

I rode the trainer for an hour this morning and then went for a ride with some friends - total was ~53 miles.

The weather was fantastic - sunny and 60 degrees.
2009-02-01 12:10 PM
in reply to: #1936112

Champion
No excuses!
dripfam - 2009-01-29 3:22 PM

Just wanted to pop in and give you all a quick update. I am healing PERFECTLY! On my way now to my post-op visit.

The last few days I have been on the bike! Tuesday for 25 minutes and yesterday for 45 minutes. It hurts and my knee is a little tight when I start out, but after a few fluid rotations I am good to go. Going to try to start swimming next week if I get the nod from the doc today.

Michael-Interesting that you give us a nutrition challenge this week. I started weight watchers on Monday I am really trying to focus on my water intake this week (and the importance of taking a multi-vitiman every day). Next hurdle....consistancy on writing down whatever goes in my mouth

Great news on the recovery, keep getting better Cool

2009-02-02 9:55 AM

New user
Jill - I love the DD designation
Micro - I still couldn't have oatmeal or tuna as part of my regular diet, I love food too much

So I barely survived my second degree black belt test this Sat, 8 hour test. Glad to check that off, stressful cramming for it and the "test anxiety". Took all day Sat and then was a veg Sun so no groceries in the house, piles of laundry, dishes etc. Sore everywhere Sun but I made myself go to my Master's swim. Did 1x100 stroke, 4x25's one arm, 6x25's fast 3/4, 1x100 timed, repeat whole series 3 times. It was the first time I've swam 100 straight since I was 10 years old Times were 2:40, 2:33, 2:35. And the one arm drills helped me breathe on my weak side (left for me).

Self medicated with beer and chips and ibuprofen during Superbowl party, taking today off workign out maybe tomorrow too, depending on how body feels (and knee pain back to an 8). Then it's the official start of my training plan

Did my tax return and I get a refund, so now I can get a wet suit, yippee.
2009-02-02 3:45 PM

Hey All!  As far as losing all the weight, I cut my caloric intake to about 1500/day.  Plus, when you have a lot to lose, it comes off fast at the beginning.  I am sure it'll start to slow down as I get closer to 200lbs.  But, I still have lots to go.
2009-02-02 4:48 PM

Champion
No excuses!

Week 3 Challenge  "one and one"

Come up with one workout goal and one nutrition goal.

For me it will be core and stretching. Both of which I am very weak so I am aiming for 3x for each this week. As far as nutrition it is again going to be eat breakfast at home. I did really well the first half of the week and then I got lazy and slept in and ate on the run the last few days.

2009-02-03 1:47 PM

New user
My goal is to get in 3 runs this week and to drink more water, at least 64 oz/day.
2009-02-03 11:41 PM

Champion
No excuses!
I am having a good week with workouts so far, eating... still struggling Frown

2009-02-04 7:48 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

Hey everyone...

Sorry I have been MIA. Sounds like the goals are coming along nicely! Last week I said I would track my food....did good the first few days then stopped.  So that will be my one and run 3 days (already got one run in on Mon) for fitness. I still have not made peace with the TM. I would like to do an indoor tri that has a 15 or 20 min run on the tready. So I am going to try that today along with my bike trainer and classes that I teach. As for the weight I am also following WW(love my leader and group!) I am down 1.8 for the week.

James I am with you on the fluctuating weight..just not as much. I'm usually 3 lbs difference or so. Loose 2 gain 1,gain 2 loose 1 and so on. so I have taken off and put on the same 5lbs for over 6mo! As for food...it doesn't have to be boring to be good for you! I get creative and make things my family would never believe is healthy! Try different things. I do enjoy oatmeal and tuna(in separate bowls) just not every day! I usually have a few rotating breakfasts...oatmeal, whole wheat waffles with warm berries, almond slivers and honey, veggie omelet, and a maple &brown sugar hot wheat cereal. lunch there are just soooo many choices. I will get the 1pt muffins and make peninies (sp?)with different lean lunch meats. Love chicken salad but mix it up with what I put in it, sometimes veggies sometimes apples and walnuts. use lt.ranch dressing or lt mayo, sometimes dijon mustard. oh the list could go on and on! Sorry for anyone who has not eaten yet!

Jill~ Great job on the 8 min run! You wrote about your mph at 3 and being pathetic? I say ya for you...where were you before you started this journey? As for me 3 yrs ago I couldn't run 1/2 a block! So now when I think I should be better I think of how far I have come. When people write they just did xx amount of miles I am happy for them but know that is not where I am yet.  Be proud of where you are and where you came from. As for the DD probs....how about I send over my 11 and 13 yr olds since yours has survived to 17(mine just might not!)

ok very long winded sorry...will get back to the others later!

2009-02-04 7:50 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI

Ken great job on the weightloss!

Trudee~ Way to take those lbs off and great job on the karate and swim!

2009-02-04 1:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm sorry I have not been around lately - I have been busy like everyone else -

I had my first swim lesson and it was awesome. There was only one other person that signed up for swim lessons that already knew how to swim. The rest had never really been in the water. They were bobbing up and down. I heard their instructor say, "It looks like everyone is afraid to put their face in the water. Who wants to touch the bottom with me?" I think it is great that these adults are learning to swim.

I grew up with a swimming pool (in Texas) and was in it my whole life. However, I never really swam. It was mostly playing around and tossing a ball or diving for pennies. About three years ago was the first time that I started trying to swim laps at the pool. I was only doing this because I wanted to fulfill a dream of completing a triathlon. So I guess I had to learn to swim.

It was very hard to get started. I felt that I could run (slowly) for as long as I wanted but the swimming zapped my strength after only a few laps. I was not breathing right and was exhausted immediately. Fast forward a year or two and I am a much better swimmer. My times are coming down. I no longer panic in the open water swims. I still want to improve. Get faster. Get more efficient.

So Jennifer and I are the only ones in the swim class that know how to swim. I know Jennifer from the pinebeltpacers running club. She also either does or wants to compete in triathlons. So instead of being a liability, Jennifer and I get our own dedicated swim coach. Mary is a grad student here at USM. She was a competitive runner and swimmer in high school and college and teaches / coaches swim camps in Texas all summer long. Pretty cool.

I believe that I take instruction well and asked Mary to simply tell me where my stroke or form was having problems. She immediately helped me better position my head a little higher in the water. She also was helping me with my pull. I could feel the water better.

I did a 1000 yard time trial last week so that I can better judge my progress. I'm excited about the class.
2009-02-05 11:31 AM

New user
James - awesome on your swim class, you seem like such a pro to me, it's good to hear you started at the beginning a few years ago

Kim - I love your food post, I'm in the lose gain the same 5 pounds rut too, I hate it and I have to say I don't enjoy cooking so I am not creative at all. Your post definitely made my mouth water. I am finding I am much more hungry the more I work out, like fruit for a snack doesn't cut it. Today I had a half a ham sandwich to see if that is more satisfying. I've done WW a few times and I lose great but as soon as I stop I gain it back.

So with my sore knee, I looked up Chi running, is anyone doing that? I did it on a recovery run and no knee pain, but I was slow. I'm going to try it tomorrow on a faster paced run. I think I had terrible form, I would land hard with an almost straight knee, lots of bouncing, not effortless at all.

It's been unusually warm here for Colorado, 60-70's so it's been great to workout outside, except the bike ride was scary! Too much traffic and stops for me so I didn't even get in a good workout. I still don't know how to change a flat but carried a tube and a pump, eek. My mini tri group suggested sticking to the trainer on short rides and then going to a hospital/industrial park on Sat for a long ride so I'm going to try that. I have no idea what I'm doing shifting, I was all over the board and did it down instead of up a few times, ugh. I feel so clueless.

Thinking of buying a wetsuit, my sprint said it's highly recommended, water is too cold in June. I had a recommendation to buy a long sleeve because it helps w/buoyancy, but then someone said it's claustrophobic. Anyone out there have opinions? Again, I feel clueless, sigh.
2009-02-05 11:55 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
Trudee~ Can't help you with the wet suit as I don't have one yet.  As for the shifting...I still do that!  They say it just takes time in the saddle. Good news on the knee pain.

2009-02-06 12:02 PM

Had my swim class last night.  Awesome!  It was geared to the tri-freestyle stroke.  We went over breathing, body position, rotation, and position.  Did a few drills and was critiqued the rest of the time.  Well worth the time and I learned alot.  Escpecially conservation of energy.
2009-02-06 1:34 PM

New user
Ate oatmeal for breakfast with a handful blueberries and a handful of walnuts thanks inspiration from Kim and James I think.

Swam for 20 mins straight no stopping, woohoo, proud of myself. Did that after 3 Sunday's of Master's swim. Ken keep up the swim lessons, the Master's is the same for me, swim drills and critiques, I love it and I feel like I improve.

Need to have a good run today, ugh.
2009-02-06 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Trudee - When I started running a few years ago (about 6 - 7 years ago) I was much heavier and I landed with a very hard heel strike. It was not long before my knees started to hurt. I slowly (and this was before I heard about pose or chi running) started to run on my mid or fore foot. It was hard. My calves ached. I could not run far without reverting back to the heel strike. It did not take too long before my calves built up and that is the only way that I run now.

I recommended the Chi running book to a co-worker and he said it helped alot with his shin splints, etc.

It is how I run.

Regarding wetsuits - I have never worn one in the water but I purchased one in the off season on close out. It is a long john sleeveless wetsuit. I also ready about the shoulder mobility, etc. and I live in the Deep South. Most of my races will not allow a wetsuit anyway - too warm. I only bought it for my 1/2 ironman in New Orleans (April 5).

The biking will come with seat time.
2009-02-06 3:51 PM
in reply to: #1949251

Champion
No excuses!

K Robert - 2009-02-06 1:02 PM Had my swim class last night.  Awesome!  It was geared to the tri-freestyle stroke.  We went over breathing, body position, rotation, and position.  Did a few drills and was critiqued the rest of the time.  Well worth the time and I learned alot.  Escpecially conservation of energy.

Hey I did too. Swimming is definately the sport to take the time to hone in your technique (something I am definately working on this winter)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shermbelle's Group Full to the brim Rss Feed  

of 18