BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-29 6:35 AM
in reply to: #2641262

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed?

mdfahy - 2010-01-28 7:59 PM

Questions on Training Focus/Adjustments: 
1. Should I tweek my base program (BT HIM beginner program) to focus a little more on biking and reduce a little from swimming or running workouts or just keep following the base program?

I would not, by keeping your swim fitness up you will be able to come out of the water sooner and fresher so you have more energy going into the bike / run.

2010-01-29 6:36 AM

User image

Elite

2. Is it ok to move around workouts to fit my schedule during the week?  Although I know there is reason behind having certain workouts follow others, sometimes it's hard for me to follow it as published.  I try to understand the objectives and keep it as close as possible.  For example, Mondays are bad for me and I can't really do doubles on that day, so I switch them around.  I also try to get in as much training on the weekend so I may move certain training days out of friday and into saturday for example.

I would say it is, but plans are typically designed in a way that flows so that the progression builds fitness and allows appropriate recovery.

2010-01-29 6:38 AM

User image

Elite

Question on Race Schedule:  I have a sprint in mid-March and an Olympic in mid-April with HIM mid-May.  There is one other Olympic I could do the week after the first Olympic mid-April.  The gap btw Olympic and HIM would be 4 weeks after the last Olympic race versus 5 weeks.  Should I race one more Olympic to get more race practice or due to tight timeframe to my HIM and intensity of racing should I just stick to training and existing race schedule? 

Thanks everyone, all your input has been helpful already.  I've read alot, but its good to hear real life personal examples and relate them to my novice mind/training experiences.

What do you need to practice? You could do the race if you think you have the fitness. Or you could race after your half.

2010-01-29 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

NH
I decided to bike rather than run last night so I didn't get any pictures of the run route, but here's the start outside my driveway.  At least the first 200 yards is flat!

(driveway.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
driveway.jpg (48KB - 22 downloads)
2010-01-29 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2641462

User image

NH
barelfly - 2010-01-28 10:13 PM
here are a few of mine: first one is a road route I take that passes by old volcanoes with the Sandia Mountains in the distance. These mountains are great for road biking and mountain biking - which is the next pick. up close of the mountains on the trail.

Wow.  I want to move.
2010-01-29 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2641742

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-01-29 7:36 AM

2. Is it ok to move around workouts to fit my schedule during the week?  Although I know there is reason behind having certain workouts follow others, sometimes it's hard for me to follow it as published.  I try to understand the objectives and keep it as close as possible.  For example, Mondays are bad for me and I can't really do doubles on that day, so I switch them around.  I also try to get in as much training on the weekend so I may move certain training days out of friday and into saturday for example.

I would say it is, but plans are typically designed in a way that flows so that the progression builds fitness and allows appropriate recovery.

I'll be needing to do this as well, so I'll be curious to see how it plays out for you.  Since your schedule is so far ahead of mine you can be the guinea pig a little.

My plan is to identify the key workouts for the week and be sure to leave them apart so at least I can hit those 100% and have recovery between them.

2010-01-29 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2641739

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Thanks Aaron, I'll stick to keeping on all segments of the plan and make adjustments to the program only if needed due to other life commitments. 
2010-01-29 9:31 AM

User image

NH
I just realized my last run put me over 100 miles for the month.  Hard to imagine I'd ever be able to say that.  When do I get fast?   Smile
2010-01-29 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Warren - Congrats on the 100 mi!  Very impressive!

Matt - We all have busy lives in one way or another.  I'm not aware of any age group triathletes that don't tweak their training schedule at least a little based on what's happening in life.  I will also be following the 20-week HIM program from this website (I believe you said you were doing that in some earlier posts).  But I did shuffle it around quite a bit when I actually laid it out on the calendar.  I know that my family life just won't allow for workouts (especially LONG workouts) on both Saturday and Sunday... at least if I want to keep the HAPPY family/training balance.  So even if it means I'm not following the program "to the letter of the law", I know at least I'm still getting the distance in. 

Anyone have any interesting/fun plans for the weekend?  My wife and I have a babysitter tomorrow night so I can finally get out to see Avatar.  Very psyched to see it.  Not sure what to do with myself on Sunday with no football on (I don't consider the Pro Bowl to be anything worth watching).  Hope everyone has a great weekend.
2010-01-29 12:39 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Matt - regarding the flexibility of the training schedule...I agree that we all have busy lives (outside of work and triathlon). I think the most important thing to think of when deciding which workout to move is to carefully consider if you will have enough recovery time between intensive workouts on a per sports basis...for example: if you are doing a hard build on bike - make sure to have at least 48 hours between bike sessions. That being said - fit it in when you can fit it in. I think it is crucial that you get the time in (the miles in the seat, the miles on your feet, etc).

I also really have started to come around re: swimming (which I still don't enjoy). The better I feel coming out of the water, the better I can do for the rest of the race. So, for now, I am trying to become a better swimming. Having the coach evaluate your stroke is great...work on drilling the stroke modifications so they become second nature and you are in a great place swim-wise.

Warren - great job on the over 100 miles! I cracked it in November and haven't been able to do it again since. Looks like February (even though it is a short month) could be interesting for the run -up to the half marathon. how about 125 in a month?

Fun plans? Wind chill is supposed to be around -10 tonight and in the same range tomorrow - so I'm thinking my long run for the week is going to have to be on the treadmill. Sigh.

2010-01-29 2:22 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Seeing that everyone else is willng to run outside in the cold, and since I'm getting bored with running on the treadmill, I just invested in a pair of long fleece running/biking pants.  I probably won't get them for a few days, and wouldn't think of going outside for a run this weekend... Highs of about 20 with windchills in the single digits.  But I'm starting to feel like a wimp with my "50 degree rule" (won't run outside if it's below that).  So I'm going to suck it up up and lower my "threshold temperature" to about 35-40 degrees.  See you out on the frozen tundra!

2010-01-29 4:04 PM

User image

NH
Jenn - I doubt I'll hit 125 in Feb as I'm starting to add quality speed runs, but we'll see.  We also go skiing for a week at Smuggs for February vacation, so I'm not sure how that will play out but there should be plenty of time to run up there.

Good job on getting out in the cold Bill - it was 15 with a 20 mph wind (0 wind chill) for today's run.  Once you get started and used to it, it's really ok.  Though if it is ever colder/windier than today and I'd need some different clothes.

I'm glad Aaron pushed that swim agenda as well.  I was planning to do less swimming than prescribed and just get by, but as Ray mentioned the run is so dependent on the bike, and the whole thing is so dependent on the swim.  Getting out of the water with a LOT left is absolutely critical.

2010-01-29 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

In the spirit of sharing pics of our training grounds, here is a current picture of the park I like to run around.  The weather has the whole state shut down.  No running or swimming today.  It has started snowing now, and everybody is sliding off the road.  As a fireman today, I don't think I'll have time to get a trainer ride in either.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-01-29 4:41 PM
2010-01-29 4:42 PM
in reply to: #2642324

User image

Expert
WA
billsorg - 2010-01-28 7:55 PM
Anyone have any interesting/fun plans for the weekend?  My wife and I have a babysitter tomorrow night so I can finally get out to see Avatar.  Very psyched to see it.  Not sure what to do with myself on Sunday with no football on (I don't consider the Pro Bowl to be anything worth watching).  Hope everyone has a great weekend.

I saw Avatar last night...AWESOME movie!!  You MUST see it in 3-D!
2010-01-29 5:23 PM

User image

NH
Good luck Ray, hopefully you don't come across anything too serious this weekend.  Ice storms are the worst. 
2010-01-29 5:24 PM
in reply to: #2638759

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-01-27 5:53 AM
mdfahy - 2010-01-26 10:05 AM Hi Aaron,

What I am looking for: Tips of the trade from experienced triathletes.

Needs work: Cycling and Swimming. Logs are up to date. I'm trying to swim and cycle a lot to work on my fundamentals.  Biggest concerns are HIM race plan/pace, running in heat/humidity at HIM Florida and cycling.

Thanks,
Matt

I can share my first and only HIM experience, or at least share my mistakes. 

1)  Not enough bike distance work.  I had considered cycling my strongest leg, so I kinda neglected it in my HIM training.  I could avr. 23 mph for an oly riding only twice a week, so I thought I could just add a couple of "long" rides for HIM training.  I did 2 rides over 38 miles.  One being 50 and on being 62.  The 62 miler was 8 weeks prior (my logs say "It was the hardest thing I've ever done.")  This was not enough.  My run fell completetly apart.  I think my run training was adequate.  I had 8 runs that were between 13-17 miles, and could run 6:45/ mile for an oly.    But after being ill prepared for the cycling leg, I was reduced to walking and stretching at 10 miles and averaged 11:00 + / mile.  I'm sure if you are following a plan you're probably going to get enough long rides.  Just make sure if you have to skip a ride, don't skip the long ones.

2) Poor race nutrition.  I was completely clueless.  I didn't have a plan, and I am not sure what I ate on the course.  I am still clueless on this aspect, but I will make sure I have a plan hammered down and tested this time.

I'm sure those weren't the only mistakes I made, but they were the biggest in my opinion.  I'd like to think that I have matured, and I'm not the cocky youngster I used to be.  I definitely have respect for the distance now.

Welcome Matt!

Warren, Great job on the 100 miles!!  I wish I can say I ran that many this month!

Ray, thanks for sharing your HIM experience.  It definitely gave me more to think about.

....with that said

Here is my questions for Aaron and others.

1.  While training, for the BIKE is it necessary to ride over 50 miles and for the RUN is it necessary to run over 13.1 miles?  I didn't plan on doing so, but seeing that Ray went beyond the race distances while training got me thinking.

2. NUTRITION.  While I was running my marathon I drank some Cytomax, Hammer gels and used some stuff on the course which I hadn't used before (I know this is a no-no but did anyway).  Near the end I felt nauseated.  Again, during my olympic duathlon I had Cytomax and Hammer gel again and at the end of the race I felt a little nauseated.  A friend recommended GU gels intstead of Hammer so I am going to try that.  I know everyone's nutrition will be different, I would like to hear what you use/recommend.

2010-01-29 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2643125

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-01-29 3:22 PM Seeing that everyone else is willng to run outside in the cold, and since I'm getting bored with running on the treadmill, I just invested in a pair of long fleece running/biking pants.  I probably won't get them for a few days, and wouldn't think of going outside for a run this weekend... Highs of about 20 with windchills in the single digits.  But I'm starting to feel like a wimp with my "50 degree rule" (won't run outside if it's below that).  So I'm going to suck it up up and lower my "threshold temperature" to about 35-40 degrees.  See you out on the frozen tundra!

I have not had to wear tights yet but I did wear a windbriefs a few times under my running shorts. Been decent out here most of the winter so far. Tonight is the coldest night of the winter.

2010-01-29 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2643471

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-01-29 5:40 PM

In the spirit of sharing pics of our training grounds, here is a current picture of the park I like to run around.  The weather has the whole state shut down.  No running or swimming today.  It has started snowing now, and everybody is sliding off the road.  As a fireman today, I don't think I'll have time to get a trainer ride in either.

Ice is always terrible good luck on the calls.

2010-01-29 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2643479

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-01-29 5:42 PM
billsorg - 2010-01-28 7:55 PM

I saw Avatar last night...AWESOME movie!!  You MUST see it in 3-D!

For sure, I saw on a large format screen (imax) in 3d. Outside of a brief reference to global warming it was awesome. I was surprised I enjoyed it so well.

2010-01-29 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2643549

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-01-29 6:24 PM
ray6foot7 - 2010-01-27 5:53 AM
mdfahy - 2010-01-26 10:05 AM Hi Aaron,

What I am looking for: Tips of the trade from experienced triathletes.

Needs work: Cycling and Swimming. Logs are up to date. I'm trying to swim and cycle a lot to work on my fundamentals.  Biggest concerns are HIM race plan/pace, running in heat/humidity at HIM Florida and cycling.

Thanks,
Matt

I can share my first and only HIM experience, or at least share my mistakes. 

1)  Not enough bike distance work.  I had considered cycling my strongest leg, so I kinda neglected it in my HIM training.  I could avr. 23 mph for an oly riding only twice a week, so I thought I could just add a couple of "long" rides for HIM training.  I did 2 rides over 38 miles.  One being 50 and on being 62.  The 62 miler was 8 weeks prior (my logs say "It was the hardest thing I've ever done.")  This was not enough.  My run fell completetly apart.  I think my run training was adequate.  I had 8 runs that were between 13-17 miles, and could run 6:45/ mile for an oly.    But after being ill prepared for the cycling leg, I was reduced to walking and stretching at 10 miles and averaged 11:00 + / mile.  I'm sure if you are following a plan you're probably going to get enough long rides.  Just make sure if you have to skip a ride, don't skip the long ones.

2) Poor race nutrition.  I was completely clueless.  I didn't have a plan, and I am not sure what I ate on the course.  I am still clueless on this aspect, but I will make sure I have a plan hammered down and tested this time.

I'm sure those weren't the only mistakes I made, but they were the biggest in my opinion.  I'd like to think that I have matured, and I'm not the cocky youngster I used to be.  I definitely have respect for the distance now.

Welcome Matt!

Warren, Great job on the 100 miles!!  I wish I can say I ran that many this month!

Ray, thanks for sharing your HIM experience.  It definitely gave me more to think about.

....with that said

Here is my questions for Aaron and others.

1.  While training, for the BIKE is it necessary to ride over 50 miles and for the RUN is it necessary to run over 13.1 miles?  I didn't plan on doing so, but seeing that Ray went beyond the race distances while training got me thinking.

2. NUTRITION.  While I was running my marathon I drank some Cytomax, Hammer gels and used some stuff on the course which I hadn't used before (I know this is a no-no but did anyway).  Near the end I felt nauseated.  Again, during my olympic duathlon I had Cytomax and Hammer gel again and at the end of the race I felt a little nauseated.  A friend recommended GU gels intstead of Hammer so I am going to try that.  I know everyone's nutrition will be different, I would like to hear what you use/recommend.

I see no reason to go beyond except to reinforce you have done or can do the distance. Helps you to know you can do it come raceday. Outside of that you should be fine.

2010-01-29 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2643947

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
matt,

welcome to the group! it's been fun so far! I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts, suggestions/advice and aaron has been a great mentor!

2010-01-29 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2642239

User image

Extreme Veteran
wbayek - 2010-01-29 8:31 AM I just realized my last run put me over 100 miles for the month.  Hard to imagine I'd ever be able to say that.  When do I get fast?   Smile

dude! that's awesome! 100miles is strong...I don't even think I hit 100 miles during training for my last sprint race in december!
2010-01-29 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2642324

User image

Extreme Veteran
billsorg - Anyone have any interesting/fun plans for the weekend?  .

I'm taking my 5yo son to a car show tomorrow. We've been looking forward to it all week! He loves cars - don't know where he got it, as I've never really been a car junky. But, he's excited and I'm more excited to see his reaction to the cars.

Other than that - a 4-5 mile run on Saturday and hopefully a 30-35 mile bike on Sunday. Weather is supposed to be better - we had another snow storm hit the last two days, dropped about 2-3" in town, most is melted and streets are clear. so should be a good ride!

all have a good weekend!
2010-01-30 10:25 AM

User image

NH
Quiet weekend for us, finally.  One of our morning rituals is checking the overnight low. -1.3 last night.  Yikes.  We're prepping our skis, boots, and clothes and everything for the Feb. winter break trip.

My middle guy has a cub scout camp out this afternoon - the boy scouts camped out last night.  That must have been brutal.

"Short" long run for me today with this being a run recovery week.  Hopefully a swim tomorrow.
2010-01-30 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your warm welcomes into the group.  I feel very lucky to have such awesome mentors, you all are great!

We are snowed in here in Virginia, supposed to get up to twelve inches.  They close everything in this town when snow is forecast.  Nice to just chill and spend some time with my daughter and wife.

Serena just smoked Henin in the last set in Australian open final. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76