BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-01-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2556071

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)
Hey all,

Just thought I'd let you know I'm back.  Got a bit discouraged last week and then headed off to visit my sick brother.  But I'm going to try to get back at it today.

Dave

2010-01-19 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2620734

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2010-01-18 6:32 PM

The training program I will use is from runners world, I like to use the program that allows you to customize your own program. The two rules to training are  to know how your body adapts best to running, and to train it that way. 
Typically when I run I will rotate shoes, run on different surfaces, train different muscles each time I run.
Monday-Nike shoes , run on track and keep a high cadence for four miles.
Wednesday-Adidas shoes,paved road with uphill and downhills for three miles.
Saturday-Nike shoes, trail run for 12 miles.

rotate shoes? this is for different surfaces?

2010-01-19 10:10 AM

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
Just did it.....I coughed up the $76 entry fee for the Woodstock Sprint Tri.  I must be out of my mind..... Tongue out
2010-01-19 12:03 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Welcome back Dave and congrats on signing up for your first tri!
2010-01-19 1:56 PM
in reply to: #2621577

User image

kelowna
Panther - 2010-01-19 8:10 AM Just did it.....I coughed up the $76 entry fee for the Woodstock Sprint Tri.  I must be out of my mind..... Tongue out

Excellent Excellent!  keep on truckin'!
2010-01-19 5:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Panther - 2010-01-19 11:10 AM Just did it.....I coughed up the $76 entry fee for the Woodstock Sprint Tri.  I must be out of my mind..... Tongue out

Good for you!  You'll have a blast!  (I know I did when I did my first sprint.)

2010-01-19 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2621368

User image

Modesto, California
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-19 7:03 AM

The training program I will use is from runners world, I like to use the program that allows you to customize your own program. The two rules to training are  to know how your body adapts best to running, and to train it that way. 
Typically when I run I will rotate shoes, run on different surfaces, train different muscles each time I run.

No, I rotate my shoes to give my cushion in my shoes a chance to expand before my next run, the cushioning will compress when you run with them.
2010-01-19 8:46 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-19 8:10 AM Just did it.....I coughed up the $76 entry fee for the Woodstock Sprint Tri.  I must be out of my mind..... Tongue out

Great news!
2010-01-19 10:55 PM
in reply to: #2623053

User image

kelowna
nevergivin - 2010-01-19 6:45 PM
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-19 7:03 AM

No, I rotate my shoes to give my cushion in my shoes a chance to expand before my next run, the cushioning will compress when you run with them.

Makes sense.... more shoes I need to buy... I think I need to find another income source to pay for all of this
2010-01-20 9:47 AM

Veteran
It's kind of funny how many shoes you can pick up all the sudden. In about a month I got my asics kayanno 15's, zoot ultra temps 2+'s(sale $59, couldnt pass), and my tri bike shoes.  Put a few runs in on the zoots and there pretty neat, didn't know how they would do with my big frame.  They really feel like nothing is on your feet, and going sockless I don't seem to get any hot spots.

Does anyone know, can I put body glide or something else on my feet to help with hot spots?
2010-01-20 1:38 PM
in reply to: #2623898

User image

Modesto, California
bigr82 - 2010-01-20 7:47 AM It's kind of funny how many shoes you can pick up all the sudden. In about a month I got my asics kayanno 15's, zoot ultra temps 2+'s(sale $59, couldnt pass), and my tri bike shoes.  Put a few runs in on the zoots and there pretty neat, didn't know how they would do with my big frame.  They really feel like nothing is on your feet, and going sockless I don't seem to get any hot spots.

Does anyone know, can I put body glide or something else on my feet to help with hot spots?

That is very common to use, some use vasaline also.

2010-01-20 8:37 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
What tools do you carry on your bike?  On my mountain bike I carry a bunch of tools (allen wrench set and a park bike tool), pump, spare tubes, etc.  For the road bike I'm thinking just a  tire, a CO2 cartridge and maybe a small phillips head screwdriver and one allen wrench.  What is the best way to stuff that stuff under your seat?
2010-01-20 10:16 PM
in reply to: #2623898

User image

kelowna
bigr82 - 2010-01-20 7:47 AM It's kind of funny how many shoes you can pick up all the sudden. In about a month I got my asics kayanno 15's, zoot ultra temps 2+'s(sale $59, couldnt pass), and my tri bike shoes.  Put a few runs in on the zoots and there pretty neat, didn't know how they would do with my big frame.  They really feel like nothing is on your feet, and going sockless I don't seem to get any hot spots.

I have a HARD time finding shoes... tried on a dozen pairs  a couple weeks ago.  The Zoots look cool though, might need to get down to the states to look for some
2010-01-21 8:50 AM

User image

Expert
just for fun, here's a little video I made of my daughter doing her first triathlon last summer when she was 7.  She was the first triathlete in our family actually, my wife and I did our first one the next day. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JDbauotSc

2010-01-21 8:20 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Very cool video.  You daughter did great.  I bet you are proud!  4 miles is a long way on those little bikes, then a mile run after that is no easy feat.
2010-01-21 8:21 PM
in reply to: #2625412

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2010-01-20 6:37 PM What tools do you carry on your bike?  On my mountain bike I carry a bunch of tools (allen wrench set and a park bike tool), pump, spare tubes, etc.  For the road bike I'm thinking just a  tire, a CO2 cartridge and maybe a small phillips head screwdriver and one allen wrench.  What is the best way to stuff that stuff under your seat?

On group rides or triathlons I carry a co2 inflator, two c02( in case one inflates improperly), tire levers, one tube , 10 dollars and a copy of my ID and Insurance card and USAT card (I get them laminated at kinkos). I dont use a seat pouch, just use a ziplock baggy and jersey pocket. In the five years I have been using a road bike I have never used my multi tool, so I just stopped carrying one, ill let everyone else carry one.

2010-01-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2625588

User image

Modesto, California
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-20 8:16 PM

I have a HARD time finding shoes... tried on a dozen pairs  a couple weeks ago.  The Zoots look cool though, might need to get down to the states to look for some

I have a zoots and love them, most of the time I save them for races but I will also use the for bricks. I have tried all kinds of lace locks but these are the best. I like zoots because they are soo comfortable and light and fast to get into. I won't use them for anything longer than an olympic tri though, I prefer more cushion for longer runs.

If you would like to go sockless, just gradually get your feet conditioned, and dont do it close to a race.

When you get to the point where you have all the tri gear you need, its much more easy to sit out until sales. Now I typically don't purchase anything unless its 40-50% off, shoes,swimsuits,goggles,tires,chains,etc. I order all of my stuff over the internet because I know how I size up with the brands I prefer.
2010-01-21 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2625970

User image

Modesto, California
norcal_SAHD - 2010-01-21 6:50 AM just for fun, here's a little video I made of my daughter doing her first triathlon last summer when she was 7.  She was the first triathlete in our family actually, my wife and I did our first one the next day. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JDbauotSc

I just watched that with my daughter who just turned 7, your daughter did awesome, very impressive!
2010-01-22 8:06 AM

User image

kelowna
what (if any) supplements do you use? Protein powers, vitamins etc...
2010-01-22 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2627850

User image

Expert
ransick -  Very cool video.  You daughter did great.  I bet you are proud!  4 miles is a long way on those little bikes, then a mile run after that is no easy feat.

It was very cool to see her doing it, I was definately a proud papa.  We practiced transitions in the backyard together a few times the week before.  She had just gotten that bike, and it was much larger than her first bike so she wasn't quite comfortable on it yet and wouldn't let me raise her seat up any higher...  She did great, finished dfl (and still trophied in her age group), and is very excited to do it again.

nevergivin- just watched that with my daughter who just turned 7, your daughter did awesome, very impressive!

TBF is putting on 4 kids tri's this summer for ages 6 and up.  First one is June 5.  See you there? Smile
2010-01-22 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
I'm in the middle of my second week of adding 10% accross the board, and am feeling it!  In particular, I've been having mild lower leg and foot cramping (calves, toes, front of foot, stuff like that) at night while sleeping.  Is this a nutritional issue?  lack of stretching (I'm trying to stretch right after each workout for a few minutes)?  Just a result of doing more exercise than I've ever done before in my life, and my body saying whoa!, take it easy there!? 

I missed yesterdays run due to life stuff, and am thinking of doing my long ride and a run today as a brick, both would be in the garage on a stationary bike and a treadmill.  For my normal sub one hour workouts, I only drink water.  If I do this, which would be more like 2+ hours, should I eat a snack partway through?  Use a gel or carb drink?  I have some Hammer gels and HEED around that I bought some time ago, but haven't really used either one yet.  I don't have much experience with longer workouts, but figure I ought to start figuring out nutrition pretty soon, since my race in March will be about 3 hours long.

2010-01-22 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2628452

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
norcal_SAHD - 2010-01-22 9:32 AM I'm in the middle of my second week of adding 10% accross the board, and am feeling it!  In particular, I've been having mild lower leg and foot cramping (calves, toes, front of foot, stuff like that) at night while sleeping.  Is this a nutritional issue?  lack of stretching (I'm trying to stretch right after each workout for a few minutes)?  Just a result of doing more exercise than I've ever done before in my life, and my body saying whoa!, take it easy there!? 

Hey David,

Cramping like that is most often due to low levels of magnesium.  There are several ways to get more magnesium into the body.  The most popular (and most subject to urban myth) among athletes especially, is to use Epsom Salts in your bath.  Epsom Salts is just a layman's term for Magnesium Sulfate.  You can use it in a full bath or a foot bath if you like.  Unlike the urban myth that it leeches out lactic acid, Epsom salt actually 'enters' (reverse osmosis) your body in a bath and the magnesium relaxes your muscles and eases and/or stops cramping.  Want proof?  Put a tablespoon in a glass of water and drink it....see if it doesn't 'ease' your bowls!

Magnesium can also be taken orally, as in a drink or in tablet form.

If you decide to use it in your bath, try 2 cups of Epsom salts and soak for a minimum of 20 minutes.  Preferably longer.  Use quite hot water to relax your muscles so the up-take will be more efficient.

Tip:  If you find Epsom salts too expensive to use on a regular basis, go to your nearest farm supply store.  They are usually called 'farmer co-ops' here in Canada.  I buy Epsom Salts/Magnesium Sulfate by the 50 lb bag for $20.  Why?  Farmers spray it on their fields to raise the magnesium levels of their soil.  I keep a nice looking container full of it in my bathroom and use it nearly daily.  NO cramping!

Hope this helps.

Dave
2010-01-22 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2628374

User image

Regular
Southern Ontario
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-22 9:06 AM what (if any) supplements do you use? Protein powers, vitamins etc...

Great question!

I'll wait to see what some of the other replies are.  I don't want to go off on a big Blog here.  Supplementation, etc. is a pet hobby of mine.    I can recommend something if you like.
2010-01-22 10:43 AM

User image

WOW I LOVED that video of your Daughter!!!! My daughter is 10 this year and she is dying to do a Triathlon...my 8yr old wants nothing to do with it LOL.

This morning i was talking to her and she already know way to much about Triathlon, i mentioned i was doing an Ironman this year and she said"an IRONMAN, WOOO DAD!" i told her her it is a half Ironman  and she said "ohhhh ok well thats not to bad' lol.

2010-01-23 3:39 AM
in reply to: #2628669

User image

Modesto, California
Panther - 2010-01-22 7:42 AM
ThePassionDiva - 2010-01-22 9:06 AM what (if any) supplements do you use? Protein powers, vitamins etc...

Great question!

I'll wait to see what some of the other replies are.  I don't want to go off on a big Blog here.  Supplementation, etc. is a pet hobby of mine.    I can recommend something if you like.

Right now Im taking in extra protien mostly because Im doing strength training and building strength for cycling, in the form of lean meat and protien powder, also I use Flaxseed oil and Fish oil for healthy fats because I dont eat much fat in my diet, also a multivitamin. I spend about 40 dollars each month, I  will also use Accelerade or gatorade with my training. Here is a question I asked Marni a few months back. When I only focusing on triathlons and doing very little strength training I reduce my protien intake and just try to keep my diet balanced.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21