BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-02-14 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2672623

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED!
smeador - 2010-02-14 4:26 PM
triritter - 2010-02-14 1:30 PM How's it going everyone, I report to you with smashed legs as I just finished my 4th week build. race season for some of us is just right around the corner. I have my first ever Duathlon next weekend at the Fort Worth Texas Motor Speedway and March 6th will do the Athens triathlon. They even have a free carbo load dinner the night before with sweet give-aways. Let me know how you are all doing and if you have any questions. Cheers!!!!

I am doing TMS as well. Maybe we can meet up and say hey.

lunch? I am sure I'll be hungry afterwards.  

2010-02-14 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2672453

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2010-02-14 1:47 PM
triritter - 2010-02-14 2:30 PM How's it going everyone, I report to you with smashed legs as I just finished my 4th week build. race season for some of us is just right around the corner. I have my first ever Duathlon next weekend at the Fort Worth Texas Motor Speedway and March 6th will do the Athens triathlon. They even have a free carbo load dinner the night before with sweet give-aways. Let me know how you are all doing and if you have any questions. Cheers!!!!

Good luck at the duathlon! I went bike shopping this weekend- didn't buy anything, but got a feel for what's out there. I'll probably bite the bullet some time in the next couple of weeks. Went swimming with a friend today and got WORKED. I've only been able to do 25 meters at a time when I swim by myself, but by the end of the workout, I did a couple of 100s, which felt pretty good (mentally, definitely not physically).

awesome. which bike are u thinkin about?  
2010-02-14 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2672741

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2010-02-14 7:23 PM
triritter - 2010-02-14 2:30 PM How's it going everyone, I report to you with smashed legs as I just finished my 4th week build. race season for some of us is just right around the corner. I have my first ever Duathlon next weekend at the Fort Worth Texas Motor Speedway and March 6th will do the Athens triathlon. They even have a free carbo load dinner the night before with sweet give-aways. Let me know how you are all doing and if you have any questions. Cheers!!!!

Good luck at the duathlon! I went bike shopping this weekend- didn't buy anything, but got a feel for what's out there. I'll probably bite the bullet some time in the next couple of weeks. Went swimming with a friend today and got WORKED. I've only been able to do 25 meters at a time when I swim by myself, but by the end of the workout, I did a couple of 100s, which felt pretty good (mentally, definitely not physically).

I was looking at the Specialized Dolce- it actually seems like one of the only low-end female road bikes. Might get it new, but I also saw one on Craigslist that would come with a couple of extras. But then I'd have to get it fitted, so I wonder if I should just spring for a new one. What do you think?
2010-02-14 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2672453

User image

New user

Good job on the swim progress.  It is always uplifting to hit a milestone then another and another so on. Keep up the hard work. Good job on sticking with the bilateral breathing you posted earlier.

Lance
2010-02-14 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2672806

User image

Veteran
eca712 - 2010-02-14 8:21 PM
triritter - 2010-02-14 7:23 PM

I was looking at the Specialized Dolce- it actually seems like one of the only low-end female road bikes. Might get it new, but I also saw one on Craigslist that would come with a couple of extras. But then I'd have to get it fitted, so I wonder if I should just spring for a new one. What do you think?

Here are the used possibilities:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/1600677820.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/bik/1596098230.html

The first has a 52 cm frame and the second has a 51 cm frame. Anyone know if those would fit me (5'3")? Should I even risk it? The first one is cheap, but doesn't look too hot (but would probably be fine); the second one looks pretty hot, but even if I got the seller down to $700, I wonder if it'd be worth the extra $300 or so to make sure it's perfect for me.
2010-02-15 10:51 AM
in reply to: #2672877

User image

Tyler,
Emily,

I'll have to check out the links after work on my personal computer. My employer blocks craigslist here. but if anybody else in the group or Stephen want to chime in go ahead.

Also another super congrats to Lance who showed me up in the pool last night.

2010-02-15 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2563913

User image

Master
Houston, TX
I wouldn't worry too much if it's a female specific bike, that doesn't really play much part in anything. I wouldn't let that limit my search for a bike.

I think you can get better bikes than either of those.
2010-02-15 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2673885

User image

Tyler,
smilford - 2010-02-15 1:45 PMI wouldn't worry too much if it's a female specific bike, that doesn't really play much part in anything. I wouldn't let that limit my search for a bike.I think you can get better bikes than either of those.
Hey Emily you best bet is find your local bike shop and have them figure out what size of bike you need, you can either by from them and get fitted for free usually or buy somewhere else and pay for a fit to get it better dialed in. It all depends on your price range and how competitive you want to be. If you going to race triathlons, then I would get a tri bike. It's ok to use a road bike, but you will be somewhat faster (or a lot) on a tri bike. Just be patient.
2010-02-15 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2673885

User image

Veteran
smilford - 2010-02-15 2:45 PM I wouldn't worry too much if it's a female specific bike, that doesn't really play much part in anything. I wouldn't let that limit my search for a bike. I think you can get better bikes than either of those.

Better for the price, or better in general? I know I could definitely find a better bike haha- just comes down to cost. I'm up to my eyeballs in student loans and probably shouldn't be spending ANY money on a bike, so I really can't spend more than $1,000 on a bike, which basically limits me to a road bike or, if I get incredibly lucky, a used tri bike in my size. And I'd like to hope that this will turn into a longtime interest, but if not, I can't risk dropping crazy cash on a great bike whose features I probably wouldn't even appreciate. So I figured I'd start off with a road bike that I can add aerobars to if I decide to keep racing after this summer, and if I'm ready for a tri bike in a year or two, at least I'll have a job then! :)
2010-02-15 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Better bike for the price.

It's a good time of year to go check out your LBS.. They may still have some 09s that they will take a good amount off to get them out the door. That's how I got my first bike, a roadie Felt F70 $1100 normally but I got it for $900 brand new.

Edited by smilford 2010-02-15 6:27 PM
2010-02-15 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2674315

User image

Tyler,
smilford - 2010-02-15 6:25 PMBetter bike for the price. It's a good time of year to go check out your LBS.. They may still have some 09s that they will take a good amount off to get them out the door. That's how I got my first bike, a roadie Felt F70 $1100 normally but I got it for $900 brand new.
Great advice! I know I can count on you to pull through. Check out the entry level Felt bikes...maybe in that range.

2010-02-18 6:14 AM

User image

Tyler,
are ya'll alive? no posts in 3 days. Must be busy having fun with your training I bet or your work place blocked BT.

Edited by triritter 2010-02-18 6:14 AM
2010-02-19 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2678850

Master
Montgomery, Tx
triritter - 2010-02-18 6:14 AM are ya'll alive? no posts in 3 days. Must be busy having fun with your training I bet or your work place blocked BT.

I ignore when I get lazy.  I am going for a ride this afternoon when I get home then another ride before work tomorrow.  Ride and run on Sunday, then I will prepare my schedule for next week.  Seems my training hit a wall from a little too much crown on Saturday night and as always when I take a day off because of that, my week gets shot to hell (that and I still do not plan on racing until August).  Lazy lazy lazy.  I will overcome! LOL

In other news- I loaned uncle sam a lot of money last year and I over paid in my escrow so I should be in a position to find a new bike in April. 
2010-02-20 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, Fl
Sorry it's been forever since I've been able to post. I've been "away" for the last 7 weeks, and haven't been able to post. I hope all are doing great. I'll check back in when I can but know that space is precious, so I'll bow out.
Cheers,
Bear

[email protected]
2010-02-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: #2681373

User image

Tyler,
TriPatrick - 2010-02-19 8:40 AM
triritter - 2010-02-18 6:14 AM are ya'll alive? no posts in 3 days. Must be busy having fun with your training I bet or your work place blocked BT.

I ignore when I get lazy.  I am going for a ride this afternoon when I get home then another ride before work tomorrow.  Ride and run on Sunday, then I will prepare my schedule for next week.  Seems my training hit a wall from a little too much crown on Saturday night and as always when I take a day off because of that, my week gets shot to hell (that and I still do not plan on racing until August).  Lazy lazy lazy.  I will overcome! LOL

In other news- I loaned uncle sam a lot of money last year and I over paid in my escrow so I should be in a position to find a new bike in April. 
GET ON IT!
2010-02-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: #2683260

User image

Tyler,
Bearintheair2000 - 2010-02-20 8:47 AMSorry it's been forever since I've been able to post. I've been "away" for the last 7 weeks, and haven't been able to post. I hope all are doing great. I'll check back in when I can but know that space is precious, so I'll bow out.
Cheers,
Bear

[email protected]
Welcome back Bear! Hope all is well.

2010-02-20 12:06 PM

User image

Tyler,
What's up group. I know a couple of us, including me and scott meador are doing the Texas Motor Speedway tomorrow morning, and if you didn't know my birthday was yesterday so a good race would be a way to seal it off. My roommate (who is very slowly getting back into tris) helped me celebrate last night taking me out to eat pasta and then hitting the dance floor for a little bit. What a night, I didn't get that crazy though, just realized I needed to leave "those" girls alone even more.
2010-02-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2678850

User image

Veteran
triritter - 2010-02-19 4:14 AM are ya'll alive? no posts in 3 days. Must be busy having fun with your training I bet or your work place blocked BT.

Planned a race in May, I think a half marathon, possilbly a marathon. I have most of my other races down. I opted not to buy tri shoes, and to go with the cycling shoe. However, I think I will go to a shop to get them. The internet is too ambiguous. They never have my exact size in european sizing. Hope I am making the right choice with the shoes. A little worried about transition time. Maybe I should have two shoes? No, I just need to get going. Taught the kids about the history of the marathon= what the distance means  (running from Marathon to Athens). Purchased new running shoes (Brooks Trance) I like them a lot. They have a springy thingy and more "stability" and they "absorb" blah blah blah. All I know is my footstrike is clean and square when I run in them. Ooohh, I forgot to tell ya I also got one a them reflective vests so I can be seen at night. I am tired of running at night and quitting because of too much traffic. Plus the bears will be up soon and they will see me better and run off. Last year I spooked one and it kind of made me nervous about running after dark. Also, doing a lot of clean up of the trees post storm and I discovered zucchin pancakes. Okay, so that's what I have been doing.

Edited by StrayDog 2010-02-21 8:48 PM
2010-02-22 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2685082

User image

Tyler,
StrayDog - 2010-02-21 8:47 PM
triritter - 2010-02-19 4:14 AM are ya'll alive? no posts in 3 days. Must be busy having fun with your training I bet or your work place blocked BT.

Planned a race in May, I think a half marathon, possilbly a marathon. I have most of my other races down. I opted not to buy tri shoes, and to go with the cycling shoe. However, I think I will go to a shop to get them. The internet is too ambiguous. They never have my exact size in european sizing. Hope I am making the right choice with the shoes. A little worried about transition time. Maybe I should have two shoes? No, I just need to get going. Taught the kids about the history of the marathon= what the distance means  (running from Marathon to Athens). Purchased new running shoes (Brooks Trance) I like them a lot. They have a springy thingy and more "stability" and they "absorb" blah blah blah. All I know is my footstrike is clean and square when I run in them. Ooohh, I forgot to tell ya I also got one a them reflective vests so I can be seen at night. I am tired of running at night and quitting because of too much traffic. Plus the bears will be up soon and they will see me better and run off. Last year I spooked one and it kind of made me nervous about running after dark. Also, doing a lot of clean up of the trees post storm and I discovered zucchin pancakes. Okay, so that's what I have been doing.

haha very interesting post. Lance bought a reflective  post mainly so crazy drivers could see him. No bears around here.
2010-02-22 4:57 PM

User image

Tyler,
Hey how did everyone's week go?

I ended DNFing for the first race of the year due to a flat. At least this is gonna give me experience in replacing my tubular now. I will also be getting a new chain on my bike this weekend. I have too much slack in my chain now from pushing too much power

There is a slight chance I might be pacing my Coach Brent Poulsen at the Cowtown 10K this weekend. I'll be trying to run with him through the first 5k before dropping out or just hanging on as long as I can. we will see.
2010-02-23 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
i went MIA for a couple weeks cause i went on vacation.  went back to florida to hang out with the wife and watch her compete in a couple of horse shows and then drive back to TX with her.  it was good i guess.  i planned on using the down time in FL as opportunity to run on some pretty nice hills, but we got weather in the 20s-40's with winds on some days to 30mph.  needless to say, i ended up freezing my off in our horse trailer and going out to eat 3 meals a day to get out of the weather.  only 3 decent days the whole trip.  one day we went to disney world, and the other two were on show days when too much was going on.  so i gained 4 lbs for the two weeks and now i'm back to the grind.

got the frost yer fanny duathlon this weekend (5k, 15m, 5k) and i had hopes of keeping a sub 8 min mile, but that aint gonna happen anymore.  just want to have fun now.

2010-02-23 11:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey y'all... I am indeed alive. The paper is officially turned into the printer, fundraising auction is next week, and then (hopefully!) I'll have a little break to get a good routine going. Lately I've been squeezing in training when possible--which is to say, not often--but my swim last night was actually enjoyable! I dread swimming, but the pull buoy made it more interesting and even kind of fun. Hope everyone's doing well- and happy birthday, William! Sorry to be a loser wishing you happy birthday four days late
2010-02-26 6:29 AM
in reply to: #2687656

User image

Tyler,
antlimon166 - 2010-02-23 7:43 AM i went MIA for a couple weeks cause i went on vacation.  went back to florida to hang out with the wife and watch her compete in a couple of horse shows and then drive back to TX with her.  it was good i guess.  i planned on using the down time in FL as opportunity to run on some pretty nice hills, but we got weather in the 20s-40's with winds on some days to 30mph.  needless to say, i ended up freezing my off in our horse trailer and going out to eat 3 meals a day to get out of the weather.  only 3 decent days the whole trip.  one day we went to disney world, and the other two were on show days when too much was going on.  so i gained 4 lbs for the two weeks and now i'm back to the grind.

got the frost yer fanny duathlon this weekend (5k, 15m, 5k) and i had hopes of keeping a sub 8 min mile, but that aint gonna happen anymore.  just want to have fun now.
'

Hey Anthony you will need to teach yourself to learn how to harden up. The best way is just getting out there and getting it done! You can do it!
2010-02-26 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2689908

User image

Tyler,
eca712 - 2010-02-23 11:02 PM Hey y'all... I am indeed alive. The paper is officially turned into the printer, fundraising auction is next week, and then (hopefully!) I'll have a little break to get a good routine going. Lately I've been squeezing in training when possible--which is to say, not often--but my swim last night was actually enjoyable! I dread swimming, but the pull buoy made it more interesting and even kind of fun. Hope everyone's doing well- and happy birthday, William! Sorry to be a loser wishing you happy birthday four days late

Thanks for you update and glad you are alive. Awesome the paper is done and that fundraiser you've been working hard on is just right around the corner.

I had a good birthday and got a few goodies like peanut butter chocolate cake and a new york cheese cake( haven't started this one yet). I am willing to share it though so I don't have to eat it all myself. Next year Iam requesting powerbar products instead.

I am gonna be in Fort Worth this weekend again...mainly to get a new chain for my bike it has too much slack in it and I am running (unofficially) in the cowtown 10k (www.cowtownmarathon.com) but I plan to drop out at 5k, because I am going to try and hang onto Brent Poulsen for 5k while he is doing the 10k then we are swimming afterwards.

I got my tubular tire and immediately started stretching it out...then I looked at the directions and there was a big X over the way I was stretching out...I was like ooops good thing I looked at this before I screwed it up. I'll be working on that too this weekend getting it ready for the Athens tri.
2010-02-26 6:42 AM
in reply to: #2694683

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

Hey Anthony you will need to teach yourself to learn how to harden up. The best way is just getting out there and getting it done! You can do it!

yup, nailed that one on the head.  i'm a complete nancy when i let the mental demons take over.

i needed that, thanks!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triritter/William Ritter "Rock Out in 2010" CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17