BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-01-31 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2645656

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED
MAC36 - 2010-01-31 1:23 PM

Is this an occassion of right equipment for the job. were the board shorts creating that much drag.

I still cannot believe that by changing my shorts to tight swim ones that i shave a full minute off my time, my brother assures me it is possible.

IS IT? 

if it is I am one happy puppy as the swim time has dropped by a full 2 minutes in the month. The session was 1800m in total in 45minutes. Good session

Yeah is is all about streamlining and technique...next time go without the suit at all...you will take off another 2 minutes...you may end up in jail...but it could be worth it......LOL

2010-01-31 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2577385

User image

Chelsea, MI
One of these days I'm going to have to get someone to tell me why 3D is on everyone's black list (never done any of their events)... considering Hawk Island as an alternative if I don't do R4R, though.
2010-02-01 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Good Monday morning everyone.  Looks like Mac may have taken the Jan challenge.  If you could get some wgts to me if you haven't I'll get it together tonight. 
Have a good week and get out there. 
2010-02-01 9:17 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
This was really fun (even if he did beat me by .7 pounds, the dog). Are we doing one for Feb?

Also, for the record - my end weight on 1/31 (if that's what we're counting?) is 199.2, not what you've got there...

Edited by HNewman 2010-02-02 7:15 AM
2010-02-02 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
MAC sorry to say Heather edged you out with 9.7 pounds of loss.  Not only that but she dropped under 200.  Sweet.  Mike and I wiill get togather and get you something.  Probably a new of pair of pants since your must be getting loose. 
2010-02-02 10:11 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Awwww. Thanks! But just the beginning. Do I hear February?

Charity of choice: Girls on the Run of Southeastern Michigan.

2010-02-03 5:42 AM
in reply to: #2651431

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

HNewman - 2010-02-02 11:11 PM Awwww. Thanks! But just the beginning. Do I hear February?

Charity of choice: Girls on the Run of Southeastern Michigan.

If we are doing Feb, I will kick some butt.  I rejoined WW on line and swear that I lost 3lbs in fluid yesterday.  Mental probably but I couldn't pass the bathroom without going.  TMI but you guys can handle it. 

Heather, I looked in to GOTR Greater Detroit and emailed Lindsay.  They do not show up as a chapter option for Chicago.  Should I maybe just go with GOTR international?  It asks you to choose a chapter.  I am waiting for Lindsay to respond.  I would feel better if I felt like my running had meaning.  Its not like I'm there for any other reason, like BQ or because I want to PR.  I just want to finish strong.

2010-02-03 8:49 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Wait, are you looking for Troy or Chicago? Now I'm confused.

<facepalm>

Duh. The MARATHON, right. I've been doing my GotR fundraising on the side - basically asking folks to pledge $1 for each mile I run at the Martian. You could go GotRI for the race if they're listed, but if you could figure out how to get the funds to your local chapter, you'd know they were all going to help local girls... totally up to you.

Edited by HNewman 2010-02-03 8:50 AM
2010-02-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2651906

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

HNewman - 2010-02-03 9:49 AM Wait, are you looking for Troy or Chicago? Now I'm confused.

Duh. The MARATHON, right. I've been doing my GotR fundraising on the side - basically asking folks to pledge $1 for each mile I run at the Martian. You could go GotRI for the race if they're listed, but if you could figure out how to get the funds to your local chapter, you'd know they were all going to help local girls... totally up to you.

To sign up to raise funds for GOTR for Chicago, you go to the GOTR website and that takes you to ACTIVE to register.  They ask you to pick the chapter that you are raising funds for.  Your Southeastern Mich. chapter is there as is Berrien County, Greater Lansing, Battle Creek, etc.   There is no Greater Detroit option. 

I would love to do this.  I am hoping that I can direct my fundraising to stay in Michigan, it would be nice if it was in my county but I might have to direct it toward your chapter.  That would be okay, right?  You all wouldn't turn down some money. 

2010-02-03 9:56 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Well, if you twist my arm like that... okay.

Don't suppose you're going to be at the Solemates info meeting at the AA West Running Fit Monday at 6? (And sorry, everyone else, we'll take this to private messaging now...)
2010-02-04 3:48 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

We've all been a little quiet.  I hope everyone's week is going well.  Any challenges for February?  Its not too late to start. 

2010-02-04 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2655652

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Sorry for not checking in guys. I've been incredibly busy with a whole bunch of things, not the least of which is trying to get a new feature finished.

Also, my kids schedules just got more complex. They both take karate and up until recently they were able to attend the same classes. That's changed so now I'm driving them there four times a week instead of two.  I also jacked my shoulder playing with one of my kids, so no swimming but I expect I'll be able to in a day or so.

Plus we're looking into sponsoring deal with a pro triathlete or two. Interesting stuff.

I will run on the treadmill tonight...I will run on the treadmill tonight...I will run on the treadmill tonight...
2010-02-04 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Sounds like February has been busy for everyone. Me included. Seems like there just isn't enough time everything and everyone.

Are we still weighing for Feb? I'm not on paleo this week....will get back on it next week and hoping to set some new PRs at Crossfit in the next few weeks. Check out my blog today....frankly, I'm starting a bit of mind games with myself and I'm trying to get ahead of it.

Hope everyone is well!
2010-02-05 9:00 AM

User image

Chelsea, MI
I'm still weighing in, if for no other reason than to give myself a little incentive from public scrutiny.
2010-02-05 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2652158

User image

Veteran
HNewman - 2010-02-03 10:56 AM Well, if you twist my arm like that... okay.

Don't suppose you're going to be at the Solemates info meeting at the AA West Running Fit Monday at 6? (And sorry, everyone else, we'll take this to private messaging now...)

You cant' do that just when it is getting interesting we want to hear all the juicy stuff on private messaging...LOL
2010-02-05 8:25 PM

User image

Veteran
OK - need to spice this thing up a little----here is the question---if you don't want to play that is fine....

What was your most embarrassing sports moment?

Here is mine...I will probably think of another but this is what I am coming up with. When I was a junior in HS I played lacrosse...I was being hounded by this defensive player from our arch rivals..his nick name was egghead (hmm wonder why) anyway he was huge..... I got a pass from my team mate and turned toward the goal...egghead was right there and laid me out cold....the ball went flying...and so did I...my shorts actually came down about half way down my thighs when i hit the ground....I think I was out for about 30 seconds......it was a big game and a big crowd for the state championship.... in the end I was avenged...we won the game....but man did I have a headache for about a week...and took a lot of ribbing from my teammates for a while after that.

Ok.. if know when else shares I am going to chalk this up to my second or third most embarrassing sports moment..LOL

2010-02-05 9:27 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
What about your shoes.  Man that was a hard hit to knock your shorts off. 
My most recent was in front of the finish line at the 5K for the Zoo I stepped in a hole watching my wife race another gal.  I suddenly had the ground coming up fast.  I tucked and rolled some how.  I think I must of looked like Chuck Norris but, it was probably more like hippos in the water hole. 

I'll sit and get the wgt board up and we can start fresh in February. 

I have very little going on for february my online PT told me to rest.  Its a good idea.   I have a nasty case of greater Trochanter Bursitis.  Could barely run a mile.  I will swim and biking easy.  Will have to miss the last two freezeroos. 

After today any improvement in my diet would be an improvement. 

Have a good weekend and go Saints!
2010-02-05 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Your online PT is very pleased that you are actually following her suggestion. That makes me feel good to know you think I'm not just blowing smoke!

I think I may need to take my own advice....I've been really sore and tired from Crossfit this last week, but not sure if it's from working out or from taking a break from paleo. I haven't been going nuts with bread or pasta or anything, but I haven't been as strict with paleo (it's just so much easier not to eat paleo, takes a LOT of planning) and been feeling a bit weaker and more fatigued. I've almost developed a bit of "tennis elbow" in my left arm and well, just really sore.

Going back on paleo next week, so hopefully I'll see more energy. I've been so tired, I haven't been wanting to blog fully because it just takes too much out of me!

2010-02-06 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

One of many embarrassing moments, but the most recent in history as I seem to have a lot of them.  If nothing else, I should get the most-entertaining athlete award.

Women's Only Tri/Du in Sylvannia Ohio last year in July.  Lets start off with, I am a geek who would ride her bike with a basket with flowers and a bell if I had them to add on.  Many of my male teammates have told me to take the reflectors off my bike.  I like my reflectors.  I want to add more.  I went to do the Sylvania tri with the intention of setting a bike PR on a flat course.  There was this awful clicking sound coming from my front wheel.  Click, click, click, click.  My computer wasn't working so I thought it was the magnet or something.  I figured out that it was my reflector after a few miles.  Every volunteer I passed asked me if I needed help or what was wrong with my bike.  I was still cruising though, on my way to a PR, passing people and having a riot, laughing at this noise.  A group of women sped up to "ride with me".  They were sprinting to get up to me (I am not fast so these were not fast women, newbies).  The group caught me and said "we are trying to keep up because you sound really fast".  I told them it was my reflector not fast wheels that was making that sound.  They named me the "clicker queen" and followed me to transition chanting "CLICKER QUEEN, CLICKER QUEEN".  I dismounted in transition, and my bike locked.  As soon as I dismounted, the reflector had wedged in the fork and locked the front wheel.  I ended up doing a cross-bike carry to the rack.   As I finished the run, this group of women were there again chanting for me (I walked most of the run because of a gastroc tear that was healing).  I saw my coworker on Monday and she had done the same race.  She said, "my husband said there was a woman who's bike was making an awful noise.  Did you see her?".  I re-introduced myself to her as the "clicker queen".  For the record, my husband took that reflector off and lectured me that the jam in my fork could've happened when I was riding and I am lucky I didn't go flying off the bike.  Lesson learned. 

Oh, and the lesson learned before this was don't carry beer in your waterbottle during a race.  That is a whole nother story. 

Edited by jogo 2010-02-06 12:56 PM
2010-02-06 8:29 PM

User image

Chelsea, MI
Wait... I want to hear THAT story.
2010-02-06 10:10 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Not embarrassing but a fun RR

hats off to the clicker queen.  Really want to hear about the beer in the water bottle. 

Edited by dexter 2010-02-06 10:15 PM

2010-02-07 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2659378

User image

Veteran
Yeah...we want the beer in the water bottle story....bring it on clicker queen...that should be your new moniker...
2010-02-07 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2659955

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

bfwhitt - 2010-02-07 3:57 PM Yeah...we want the beer in the water bottle story....bring it on clicker queen...that should be your new moniker...

Clicker queen  was my moniker for about 4 months on BT.

Beer story (seems appropriate with superbowl tonight):

Corktown 4 mile 2009- Its an Irish run.  Its a beer run.  Many of my teammates at talked about carrying beer, camelbacking beer, etc.  Race day, I was the only one who came ready to run with beer. Sort of like thinking its a costume party and being the only one to show up in costume (blushing).  I was determined, afterall I had brought it and didn't bring water.  Who knew that when you run and bounce up and down that beer would foam out the top of the water bottle?  Not me.  I'm a wine drinker.  I'd run 0.1 and have to drink, run more, drink more.  I think I wore more foam than I actually drank.  I was laughing so hard, because the THOUSANDS (the run happens before the St. Patty's parade) were cracking up  at me and egging me on to chug that I ended up peeing myself.  I don't know if anyone could tell but I'm sure that I smelt wonderful on the ride home (beer and pee, my husband is a lucky man and a kind one, he never said a word).  Lesson learned:  Try a camelback this year.

2010-02-08 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Jo-I love your stories!
hmm. so maybe wine instead of beer...
 Recent most embarassing: I had a near death experience at my first open water sprint tri. I am a water girl. Love the water. Never been afraid of the water. Own a boat. Go swimmin in lakes all summer. water ski, wake board. love it love it love it. so how on earth would i nearly drown in a 750 meter swim, you ask? yeah, good question. the water was ccccoooooollldddd and i got shoved / kicked a little at the start and got to hyperventilating -swallowed pond water...and never got it back the whole swim. I did a modified breast stroke with my head out of the water for almost the entire swim. I knew I was in trouble at the first buoy when the boat people were calling to me..yeah. not pretty.

Also, best injury ... in middle school. i attended a boarding school in Costa Rica and was playing basketball with the nuns and got hit by one flying nun...hurt my wrist when I fell. 2 weeks later folks came to visit me at school and finally took me to a doctor. wrist broken and had begun to heal incorrectly. had to re-break and set it. had a nice cast up to my arm pit for 2 months. nuns are MEAN!!!

2010-02-09 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

I'm bumping us back to the first page.  Knock, knock, anyone there?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dexter and Marmadaddy's Group: CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19