BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-02-09 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2663100

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!

IceManScott - 2010-02-09 10:21 AM Hey congrats on your son's good work.  Good to get the knee taken care of early in the season. 

My weight fell below 214. About 213.5.   On track for 210 by the end of winter...looking for 200 ultimately during the race season sometime. 

Great job Scott!!! 

Hoping to drop a few myself over the next couple months!!

2010-02-09 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2578675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Subject: RE: kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!!
I'm down from a 50 inch waist in 2005 so I'm getting very close to the goal, which is looking like about 200 or so. 
2010-02-10 7:22 PM

User image

New user
Finally got back into the swing of things after last week. Turns out that I was having some heart palpitations...nothing serious, but they can be induced because of stress...of which I have lots lol. Anyway it felt good to get back out there and run. Came up with a plan to do three days of my couch25k, then on the off days do a spinning class and some weight training. Think that will work for a plan for the time till I get to the pool?
2010-02-11 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2666899

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

selonimes - 2010-02-10 8:22 PM Finally got back into the swing of things after last week. Turns out that I was having some heart palpitations...nothing serious, but they can be induced because of stress...of which I have lots lol. Anyway it felt good to get back out there and run. Came up with a plan to do three days of my couch25k, then on the off days do a spinning class and some weight training. Think that will work for a plan for the time till I get to the pool?

Glad you figured it out and hopefully have a plan to manage it!  Have fun with the spinning, it can be a good way to cross train your running and get some pedal time for your legs!

2010-02-11 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Stress is bad.  Puts miles on the body without getting anywhere.  Do you do any yoga and/or meditation?  The Relaxation Response is an old book that's been updated since the hippie days.  Suggests 10-20 mins a day of quiet time, listening to your breathing and using a single word to calm your brain.  It can be spiritual or an affirmation or a motivational word.  Try it.  It slows the heart, clears the head.  Once you get it, you can do it on the bike, on the run, on the swim. 

One thing you said, you want to spin on the off days.  But, make sure you have a true "off day" a week.  You do nothing.  Run 2-3 times a week, spin 4-5 times a week, swim 2-3 times a week but one day you have absolutely nothing on the agenda but rest, naps, eating maybe a little less.  The rest days are when your body will recover and get stronger.  They are absolutely needed to avoid injury and burn out.   
2010-02-11 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good points Scott! 

Obviously you need to deal with your health issues before exercising, but a little story of something I learned about myself over the course of losing the weight and changing lifestyle.  I would use stress from work as an excuse for missing a workout.  Bad day at work, ex-wife giving me grief, the normal stress that comes from life.  It took me a while, but I finally figured out that by using the workout as a stress releiver I not only became healthier physically from my workout, but mentally I found a healthy way to deal with the stress!  Not to mention, the confidence to tackle all of lifes obstacles!  If I can lose XX pounds, I can deal with this issue or if I can finish a 10K, this is nothing. 

2010-02-11 12:08 PM

Subject: SWIM Challenge
SWIM ChallengeFriends, countrymen (women), noblemen (women), I can't stress enough, get in the pool and start now. I'm just over a month or so in the pool myself. I'm just now to the point where I can swim a small (very small) distance without feeling the need to stop. Time is ticking away, before you know it, you'll be finding another reason not to accomplish your goal. Don't let this year be another year of excuses.COME ON PEOPLE, TIME TO GET WET.
2010-02-11 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2668041

Subject: RE: SWIM Challenge

Challenge accepted!
It's been a rough start to 2010 with my family health. It started with me and then my youngest got hit with H1N1, then pnumonia, then mono...She's a national swimmer and plays competive volleyball and was hit hard Jan 6th and is just starting back to school and activity now. I know it's alot of excuses for not getting out there, I just found I couldn't tear myself away from her side. So other than a few days of core work and a few days of walking the dog I've done nothing to reach my goal. 
NO MORE EXCUSES! I am determined to do this. I am going to compete in a tri sprint this summer, absolutely! I'm heading for a snowmobile get away this week end and the resort has a pool. I've planned 30 minutes per day Friday, Sat, and Sun. then back to the regular scheduled program Mon, Wed, Fri, for 30 min. a day. 1wk - 150 minutes and I'll let you know how many km's. Any one else up for the challenge?

And Ken, thanks for the inspires.

2010-02-12 6:51 AM
in reply to: #2668213

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: SWIM Challenge

go4girl - 2010-02-11 2:01 PM

Challenge accepted!
It's been a rough start to 2010 with my family health. It started with me and then my youngest got hit with H1N1, then pnumonia, then mono...She's a national swimmer and plays competive volleyball and was hit hard Jan 6th and is just starting back to school and activity now. I know it's alot of excuses for not getting out there, I just found I couldn't tear myself away from her side. So other than a few days of core work and a few days of walking the dog I've done nothing to reach my goal. 
NO MORE EXCUSES! I am determined to do this. I am going to compete in a tri sprint this summer, absolutely! I'm heading for a snowmobile get away this week end and the resort has a pool. I've planned 30 minutes per day Friday, Sat, and Sun. then back to the regular scheduled program Mon, Wed, Fri, for 30 min. a day. 1wk - 150 minutes and I'll let you know how many km's. Any one else up for the challenge?

And Ken, thanks for the inspires.

Your welcome and I am glad that your family is returning to health.  Knock on wood, we have avoided that here in my house, but my brothers 3 kids rotate it around from week to week it seems! Nasty bug, thats for sure!  You will complete your tri this year and many more after that!!!

Doug, good advice.  Especially if you don't come from a swimming background, confidence in the water is key to successfully completing what ever tri event you have planned.

And, although it is only one week, I have made it twice this week to the pool!!!

2010-02-13 11:40 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Hi all,

Just thought i'd drop in to say hi - i've 9 days of no swimming, biking or running but 9 days of walking, strength work with packs and sleep deprivation etc. Haven't thought how i'm going to rate that yet! Despite being challenged keeping my eyes open right now today was kind of an off day (mostly travelling) so hopefully i'm back into it tomorrow but i'm going to see how i feel after a sleep.

Wow! I've read through the posts and despite issues people are having it's good to see the positivity - hope we can all keep it up!

Cheers,

Lewis.
2010-02-14 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2672016

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

lbishop - 2010-02-14 12:40 AM Hi all,

Just thought i'd drop in to say hi - i've 9 days of no swimming, biking or running but 9 days of walking, strength work with packs and sleep deprivation etc. Haven't thought how i'm going to rate that yet! Despite being challenged keeping my eyes open right now today was kind of an off day (mostly travelling) so hopefully i'm back into it tomorrow but i'm going to see how i feel after a sleep.

Wow! I've read through the posts and despite issues people are having it's good to see the positivity - hope we can all keep it up!

Cheers,

Lewis.

I'm sure the stuff you did was harder than most workouts! (Other than maybe some of Icemans bike workouts, his coach could work for the CIA torturing terrorists!) .  Good to have you back Lewis!!!

2010-02-14 11:02 AM

Subject: First HIM
Considering moving my first HIM up from Sept. to July???? Just not sure if I'll be ready by then.
2010-02-14 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2672288

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: First HIM

DougJ - 2010-02-14 12:02 PM Considering moving my first HIM up from Sept. to July???? Just not sure if I'll be ready by then.

Doug, a lot of that would depend on your goals for the race.  Depending when in July it is, you are probably 20 - 23 weeks away.  Most plans on BT run 17 or 20 weeks.  I would suggest looking at those plans and specifically the first 2 weeks detail and see if you are comfortable that you can train at that level or close to it without injuring yourself from jumping the volume too quickly.  You will have a few weeks till you have to start, so you can factor that in as well.

The other question you need to ask yourself is this.  Will you enjoy the race more in September taking the extra couple of months to be better prepared?  The July race will still be available to you in 2011.

I admire your enthusiasm! 

2010-02-14 7:35 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Hey guys... going in for the knee surgery tomorrow early AM.  Could be a simple clean out or could be more, depending on what he finds.  Wish me luck!
2010-02-14 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2672826

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-02-14 8:35 PM Hey guys... going in for the knee surgery tomorrow early AM.  Could be a simple clean out or could be more, depending on what he finds.  Wish me luck!

Good luck Sean!!!  I hope it is clean and simple and that you get back on the tri band wagon quickly!!

2010-02-15 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Good luck.  Stay positive. LiveSTRONG!

2010-02-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2672844

kenj - 2010-02-14 8:47 PM

TriRSquared - 2010-02-14 8:35 PM Hey guys... going in for the knee surgery tomorrow early AM.  Could be a simple clean out or could be more, depending on what he finds.  Wish me luck!

Good luck Sean!!!  I hope it is clean and simple and that you get back on the tri band wagon quickly!!

+1
2010-02-15 2:43 PM

User image

Welllington, NZ
Good luck with that bud! Let us know when you're back on board - don't rush yourself though - remember recovery is key!

Lewis.
2010-02-15 5:22 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Well I'm out (and past the groggyness of the anestesia).  He said there was not a lot of loose cartilage but the cartilage was "soft".  He also did a "slight" lateral release.  I have an appt tomorrow to see what the next step (if any) is.  He did say "normally I'd tell people to stop running I but I'm guessing this is not going to be an option for you."  I think he knows me well.
2010-02-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2674237

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TriRSquared - 2010-02-15 6:22 PM Well I'm out (and past the groggyness of the anestesia).  He said there was not a lot of loose cartilage but the cartilage was "soft".  He also did a "slight" lateral release.  I have an appt tomorrow to see what the next step (if any) is.  He did say "normally I'd tell people to stop running I but I'm guessing this is not going to be an option for you."  I think he knows me well.

Glad everything looks like it went well!  Hopefully after healing up you can return to pain free running!!! Keep us up to date how your recovery is going!!!

2010-02-16 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2675021

User image

kenj - 2010-02-16 8:28 AM

TriRSquared - 2010-02-15 6:22 PM Well I'm out (and past the groggyness of the anestesia).  He said there was not a lot of loose cartilage but the cartilage was "soft".  He also did a "slight" lateral release.  I have an appt tomorrow to see what the next step (if any) is.  He did say "normally I'd tell people to stop running I but I'm guessing this is not going to be an option for you."  I think he knows me well.

Glad everything looks like it went well!  Hopefully after healing up you can return to pain free running!!! Keep us up to date how your recovery is going!!!

+1 I'm finally in the pool Doug! I couldn't agree more about getting in the water sooner. I had no idea how long 12 minutes felt like while trying to swim for the first time in about 10 years. I'm very interested in TI method. It seems like a good way to build a base and good form. Question: Should I focus more on correct form(via Drills) than building up swimming endurance? It doesn't make sense to me to swim more laps incorrectly building up bad muscle memory just to get my swim time.

2010-02-16 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2675021

User image

kenj - 2010-02-16 8:28 AM

+1 I'm finally in the pool Doug! I couldn't agree more about getting in the water sooner. I had no idea how long 12 minutes felt like while trying to swim for the first time in about 10 years. I'm very interested in TI method. It seems like a good way to build a base and good form. Question: Should I focus more on correct form(via Drills) than building up swimming endurance? It doesn't make sense to me to swim more laps incorrectly building up bad muscle memory just to get my swim time.
2010-02-16 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

The good news is with swimming, once you get comfortable and confidence in your stroke, and build the initial volume and endurance you can ramp your volume up and down according to your season and upcoming races and it will come back fairly quickly.  I find I get my swim fitness back much faster than the bike or run.  The bad news with swimming is it is like golf, develop bad habits in your stroke and it is difficult to erase the muscle memory and start over. 

Doug posted in his blog yesterday about getting some help with the swim.  Great idea!  Whether it is getting some lessons, reading a book, or watching the DVD's, don't be afraid to get some help if you are struggling!

2010-02-16 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Sean, good news.  The doctor must think running is OK or he would have told you otherwise no matter what.  Easy, easy does it.  I wonder what he meant that it was "soft."  What does that? 

I totally agree with what Ken said about getting the swimming help somewhere.  What you said about not practicing errors is so true.     Masters Swimming is great and cheap if you have one around.   Their coaches are terrific.    TI is terrific.  My coach is helping with it.  Though it's not his main style, he knows it and the good swimming forms all share similarities. I so want to hit a clinic somewhere.  They have one coming up in Chicago but it's two days and $500 plus lodging, food etc.  Pricey for me. DVD and the boook is good for me now. One thing the author of Total Immersion for Triathletes (Terry MacLaughlin, I think, he's the guy who developed it) says is that building power in the water does no good if all you are doing is plowing through rather than swimming "slippery," meaning becoming more aero in the water, cutting resistance.  Makes sense to me. 

The endurance thing - it comes.  If you can swim past the wall you feel at first, just keep breathing and stroking, your body kicks into an aerobic breathing pattern and eventually you feel like you could keep going forever.  I couldn't believe it when they told me it would happen but it does.  We just have to keep the heart rate down to a reasonable level, realize this is not a sprint. I used to be a 100 yard sprinter in high school 40 years ago.  Doesn't work here.  Swim 100 yards hard in a sprint triathlon and you are out 100 yards from shore, 500 yards from the finish and screwed   Easier is better.

2010-02-17 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Quiet around here this week!  Everyone busy swimming?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group - closed with a great bunch of triathletes in training!!! Rss Feed  

of 29