BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-04-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2816581

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
bar92 - 2010-04-26 9:34 AM Got a PR in my HIM yesterday, despite some fairly tough conditions.  Felt like nutrition and pacing were right on, but hope that over the next 6 months, the pacing can increase without feeling an increase in effort.  Finished in 6:31:02.  Swim sucked in 50:19 (waves, wind and some say long course).  Bike was ok in 3:22:06. Had a strong crosswind almost the whole time.  Run was great in 2:13:08 (not too far off my stand alone PR).  Have some more thoughts in my logs and will try to post a race report tonight.  I'm disappointed in my swim, but happy with the overall effort.  Wore my compression socks all the way home yesterday, so I'm not really sore today at all.  Just got a little too much sun.

Congrats on your PR!! The only things you can control are how you swim, how you bike, and how you run, and of course your nutrition. So even with the tough water and bike conditions, you did an excellent job!

2010-04-26 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2770190

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
From what I have seen of other comments that was a tough swim with the conditions.  Great job!!  PR is fantastic!
2010-04-26 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Great job on the PR!!!!  Very strong run in the heat and humidity.

I know a few other people who did the race and also said the swim was very rough.  They all swam slower than normal.
2010-04-26 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
bar92 - 2010-04-26 7:34 AM Got a PR in my HIM yesterday, despite some fairly tough conditions.  Felt like nutrition and pacing were right on, but hope that over the next 6 months, the pacing can increase without feeling an increase in effort.  Finished in 6:31:02.  Swim sucked in 50:19 (waves, wind and some say long course).  Bike was ok in 3:22:06. Had a strong crosswind almost the whole time.  Run was great in 2:13:08 (not too far off my stand alone PR).  Have some more thoughts in my logs and will try to post a race report tonight.  I'm disappointed in my swim, but happy with the overall effort.  Wore my compression socks all the way home yesterday, so I'm not really sore today at all.  Just got a little too much sun.

Great job Bri!  I'm really impressed--especially considering the conditions.  Congratulations on the PR!
2010-04-26 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2815799

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
Jacklcm - 2010-04-25 6:46 PM Sounds like a great yoga weekend.  How does all that yoga impact your running?   I generally do yoga after workouts, but sometimes I practice before workouts.  

I've always been tight in the hips and the hammies, so I find the yoga really loosens me up--whether before or after a run.  With that said, three solid days of some pretty strenuous practice has left me feeling like a lead balloon--especially in the legs.  Planned to get on the bike at some point today, so hopefully that will shake things up a bit.

Scotty--all those terms are just another way of describing how to twist yourself into a pretzel!
2010-04-26 6:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Great race.  Sounds like great pacing to leave something for the run.  I have my first HIM in two weeks.

2010-04-26 7:55 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
bar92 - 2010-04-26 9:34 AM Got a PR in my HIM yesterday, despite some fairly tough conditions.  Felt like nutrition and pacing were right on, but hope that over the next 6 months, the pacing can increase without feeling an increase in effort.  Finished in 6:31:02.  Swim sucked in 50:19 (waves, wind and some say long course).  Bike was ok in 3:22:06. Had a strong crosswind almost the whole time.  Run was great in 2:13:08 (not too far off my stand alone PR).  Have some more thoughts in my logs and will try to post a race report tonight.  I'm disappointed in my swim, but happy with the overall effort.  Wore my compression socks all the way home yesterday, so I'm not really sore today at all.  Just got a little too much sun.

Congrats on a fantastic PR, even in less than ideal conditions.  Be proud and enjoy the recovery!
2010-04-26 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2817030

User image

Veteran
michwea - 2010-04-26 11:39 AM
Jacklcm - 2010-04-25 6:46 PM Sounds like a great yoga weekend.  How does all that yoga impact your running?   I generally do yoga after workouts, but sometimes I practice before workouts.  

I've always been tight in the hips and the hammies, so I find the yoga really loosens me up--whether before or after a run.  With that said, three solid days of some pretty strenuous practice has left me feeling like a lead balloon--especially in the legs.  Planned to get on the bike at some point today, so hopefully that will shake things up a bit.

Scotty--all those terms are just another way of describing how to twist yourself into a pretzel!

Good to know. Even though I consider myself slightly above average when it comes to flexibility, I have been thinking about including yoga. I wish there was some decent yoga offerings in my area with out having to drive closer to 45mins. Have you ever used any home videos or videos from online for it?
2010-04-27 9:34 AM
in reply to: #2814822

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
disturbed275 - 2010-04-25 10:25 AM Here is a link to some exercises designed to increase ankle flexibility.  I haven't tried them so I can't vouch for how well they work, but they seem simple enough.  I'm also pretty sure you'll have better results if you get a sweet pair of socks like the person in the video.

Thanks!  I have bookmarked that link and will be doing the exercises religiously, in addition to sitting on my feet.  (Something I need to get better at anyway so I can kneel properly in Karate class.

As for socks, I have WAY better ones than those.  Check it:

http://www.sockguy.com/BadKitty.html - I call these my "Death Kitty" socks.  Used to be my racing socks till I got hardcore and started going sockless.

http://www.gizmosocks.com/GIZMO_Catalog_i9789780.html?catId=286322 - Funny enough, my boyfriend seemed to think these were perfect for me.  Heehee.

Congrats on the HIM PR, by the way!  That's awesome!   I'm SO hoping to hit 6:30 myself, but will be happy just to survive and finish. *G*
2010-04-27 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2818409

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
scotty930 - 2010-04-26 7:09 PM
michwea - 2010-04-26 11:39 AM

Good to know. Even though I consider myself slightly above average when it comes to flexibility, I have been thinking about including yoga. I wish there was some decent yoga offerings in my area with out having to drive closer to 45mins. Have you ever used any home videos or videos from online for it?

I have--I have the Rodney Yee series on DVD that he put out a couple of years ago and I also used to do the Steve Ross "Inhale" tv program on occasion.  Yoga is kind of like swimming--you can do it, but if you want to get good at it and really reap the benefits of it, I think you can learn more from hands on instruction than a video or tv program.  Your mileage may vary.  I'd be interested in Missy's thoughts on this too since she practices regularly as well.

Traveling to participate in any regular activity can be a grind.  Yoga tends to pop up in unusual places though--so keep your eyes open for an adult school offering, or a six week intro series at a progressive church like the Unitarian Universalist church.  Get some hands on instruction under your belt for a couple of weeks and then you'll be good to go with videos, or on line offerings.
2010-04-27 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
I have both of these and use them periodically along with some standard poses.

http://www.spinervals.com/products/item68.cfm

http://www.spinervals.com/products/item66.cfm

2010-04-27 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2819327

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
PinkPrincess - 2010-04-27 7:34 AM
disturbed275 - 2010-04-25 10:25 AM Here is a link to some exercises designed to increase ankle flexibility.  I haven't tried them so I can't vouch for how well they work, but they seem simple enough.  I'm also pretty sure you'll have better results if you get a sweet pair of socks like the person in the video.

Thanks!  I have bookmarked that link and will be doing the exercises religiously, in addition to sitting on my feet.  (Something I need to get better at anyway so I can kneel properly in Karate class.

As for socks, I have WAY better ones than those.  Check it:

http://www.sockguy.com/BadKitty.html - I call these my "Death Kitty" socks.  Used to be my racing socks till I got hardcore and started going sockless.

http://www.gizmosocks.com/GIZMO_Catalog_i9789780.html?catId=286322 - Funny enough, my boyfriend seemed to think these were perfect for me.  Heehee.

Congrats on the HIM PR, by the way!  That's awesome!   I'm SO hoping to hit 6:30 myself, but will be happy just to survive and finish. *G*

Too wild about the socks.  I just picked up the Bad Kitty socks at REI last night!  Love 'em.  I also got:

http://www.rei.com/product/784930

and

http://www.rei.com/product/799300

2010-04-27 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2819645

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
retiretotri - 2010-04-27 8:58 AM I have both of these and use them periodically along with some standard poses.

http://www.spinervals.com/products/item68.cfm

http://www.spinervals.com/products/item66.cfm

Those look really cool!  I didn't realize Spinervals also made yoga instructional DVDs.  Thanks for the links.
2010-04-27 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Hi group!  I've fallen behind on our thread this weekend, but I'll try to catch up to all the posts this week.

I got back from Louisville on Sunday, but I'd asked for an extra vacation day yesterday for recovery.  So I spend yesterday just laying around.  And I think it worked, because I'm totally not sore at all today from my race on Saturday. 

I posted a race recap in my blog for anyone interested.  Basically it was a lot hillier than I'm used to so I had to walk up a lot of the hills the second half.  BUT, I'm am now officially a marathoner, and I'm pretty sure it'll be easy to post a PR when I do the Chicago Marathon in October Smile

As for current training... I took 2 days completely off from my race.  I was going to jump back in with a trainer ride this morning and a swim after work.  Unfortunately something weird happened with my tire, and it was completely flat and wouldn't pump back up.  I've never changed a flat before, but have seen it done.  So it took me about 45 min to change the flat.  Actually, changing the flat wasn't hard; I just was having problems getting it back on since it was the rear wheel and I couldn't seem to get the chain lined up and everything.  By the time it was ready and pumped back up, I was covered in grease and had to get ready for work!

So yeah, I'll get my swim in after work.  If I'm feeling good, I'll hop on the trainer when I get home.
2010-04-27 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Oh, and thanks everyone for the inspires and words of encouragement!  They were much appreciated Smile
2010-04-27 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2820020

User image

Expert
yogachic - 2010-04-27 12:39 PM Hi group!  I've fallen behind on our thread this weekend, but I'll try to catch up to all the posts this week.

I got back from Louisville on Sunday, but I'd asked for an extra vacation day yesterday for recovery.  So I spend yesterday just laying around.  And I think it worked, because I'm totally not sore at all today from my race on Saturday. 

I posted a race recap in my blog for anyone interested.  Basically it was a lot hillier than I'm used to so I had to walk up a lot of the hills the second half.  BUT, I'm am now officially a marathoner, and I'm pretty sure it'll be easy to post a PR when I do the Chicago Marathon in October Smile

As for current training... I took 2 days completely off from my race.  I was going to jump back in with a trainer ride this morning and a swim after work.  Unfortunately something weird happened with my tire, and it was completely flat and wouldn't pump back up.  I've never changed a flat before, but have seen it done.  So it took me about 45 min to change the flat.  Actually, changing the flat wasn't hard; I just was having problems getting it back on since it was the rear wheel and I couldn't seem to get the chain lined up and everything.  By the time it was ready and pumped back up, I was covered in grease and had to get ready for work!

So yeah, I'll get my swim in after work.  If I'm feeling good, I'll hop on the trainer when I get home.

Congrats marathoner!!!  I took a week off after my first marathon, so yay for you for a fast recovery. 

I'm not so good at changing a tire either.  I can do it, but I'm not fast at it. 

2010-04-27 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2820020

User image

Veteran
yogachic - 2010-04-27 12:39 PM Hi group!  I've fallen behind on our thread this weekend, but I'll try to catch up to all the posts this week.

Even with all those hills, Congrats on the finish!! I guess that means next time more hill training right.

2010-04-27 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the advice on the yoga everyone. Everything tends to be easier once you have had some kind of hands on learning experience or instructor helping you out. So I will probably try to keep my eye out for something locally but might consider the drive if necessary.
2010-04-27 2:55 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks guys Smile

Yeah, I just looked up the course for my half ironman, and it looks like I need to work on hill training both for on the bike and the run!  Luckily, I have a training weekend up in Wisconsin planned in 2 weeks, and I'm going out to Galena for the triathlon at the end of May.  I'm still not sure if I'll race Galena (it's just a sprint - 600m swim, 17 mile bike, 4 mile run), but my tri club's renting houses out there.  So I'm thinking of just volunteering at the race, staying in club housing, and spending the time out there to get in a good long run in on Saturday and a long bike ride on Sunday. 

After my half ironman, I can just work on speed since the course for the Chicago marathon is completely flat Tongue out
2010-04-27 4:49 PM

User image

Congrats to everyone on great races looks like everyone is really doing well. I will taper the next two days with swims, Friday off and then sprint Saturday. While my psyche is still in shock from the rumpass I should be just fine.
2010-04-27 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2820236

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
bar92 - 2010-04-27 1:30 PM

Congrats marathoner!!!  I took a week off after my first marathon, so yay for you for a fast recovery. 

I'm not so good at changing a tire either.  I can do it, but I'm not fast at it. 

I too am impressed by the speedy recovery.  I think it was about a week before I even contemplated doing anything besides swimming.

2010-04-27 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2820545

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2010-04-27 2:55 PM Thanks guys Smile

Yeah, I just looked up the course for my half ironman, and it looks like I need to work on hill training both for on the bike and the run!  Luckily, I have a training weekend up in Wisconsin planned in 2 weeks, and I'm going out to Galena for the triathlon at the end of May.  I'm still not sure if I'll race Galena (it's just a sprint - 600m swim, 17 mile bike, 4 mile run), but my tri club's renting houses out there.  So I'm thinking of just volunteering at the race, staying in club housing, and spending the time out there to get in a good long run in on Saturday and a long bike ride on Sunday. 

After my half ironman, I can just work on speed since the course for the Chicago marathon is completely flat Tongue out

I've heard that Galena race is quite hilly.  Seems like a good area to get in some quality hill work.
2010-04-27 7:08 PM
in reply to: #2820881

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2010-04-27 4:49 PM Congrats to everyone on great races looks like everyone is really doing well. I will taper the next two days with swims, Friday off and then sprint Saturday. While my psyche is still in shock from the rumpass I should be just fine.

New day, new race.  Trust in your training and you'll be fine!
2010-04-27 7:53 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Question for the swimmers......
I have found that with working at the faster pace I need both longer rest intervals and shorter swims.  I can barely get through 100 yards continuously with the new pace. I realize there is going to be a period of acclimation to the faster stroke....just wondering how long it will take to accomodate to.
2010-04-28 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2821233

User image

Veteran
QueenZipp - 2010-04-27 7:53 PM Question for the swimmers......
I have found that with working at the faster pace I need both longer rest intervals and shorter swims.  I can barely get through 100 yards continuously with the new pace. I realize there is going to be a period of acclimation to the faster stroke....just wondering how long it will take to accomodate to.

In all honesty it all depends on you in a way. Some people might be able to adapt rather quickly with in a 2 week period, it might take closer to 3 or 4 weeks. But then once you get to the point where it is feeling easy, it is time to change the pace up again so your muscles can once again adapt to the new training load.

I have found with me that it takes about around 2-3 weeks with only doing 6000-8000 yards a week. If I increased that to what I was doing when swimming competitively then it would only take me about 2 weeks. So the number of yards you are swimming plays in to it also.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 46