BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-04-05 9:21 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
NAME: disturbed275 / Neal

STORY: I am heading into my third season of participating in triathlons. I began running 3 years ago as a way to lose some weight and after doing a handful of running races over the next couple of years I decided to enter the triathlon world to seek out a new challenge. I've completed 15 events in those two years, running the gamut from sprint to half ironman. I have also done two marathons for the heck of it.  My sights are now set on Ironman Wisconsin this fall.

FAMILY STATUS: 29, single (i.e. tons of training time )

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I am building for an early June half, and of course training for IMWI.  My weekly hours are approaching the 15 hr range.  I spent the off-season focusing on swimming due to a running injury, but recent focus will be building the bike mileage now that it is nice out and getting my running back up to snuff.

2009 RACES: 4 sprint tris, all of which I placed in my age group.  3 Olys, one a PR of 2:22:09.  2 HIMs, one a PR of 5:01:46

2010 RACES: Escape from Alcatraz, Liberty Half Ironman, Ironman Wisconsin, and a handful of local events

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I have no tangible weight loss goals at the moment, but I do have experience in that department. As I mentioned earlier I used running as a means to lose weight about 3 years ago. I dropped about 50 pounds in doing so and have managed to keep it off since then (except for those pesky 10 pounds that sneak back on in the winter. Grrr).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I am still relatively new to the sport. These first two seasons have been full of typical newbie mistakes, but I have learned much along the way and have the desire to share that experience with others so that they hopefully have an easier time getting into this sport. I won't claim to have all the answers (in fact I hope to learn just as much as I can teach), but I will work to find the answers that you need through the wonderful community that is BT. I also want to show others what a fun and rewarding sport this can truly be. Sometimes we get caught up in the competition (guilty as charged), but at the end of the day I usually sit back and ask myself if I had a good time. The answer is usually yes and that's why I keep coming back to this sport. I am on the site daily, so I will be able to handle your questions in a timely manner, check up and inspire your blog, or give you a swift kick to get that training going

Edited by disturbed275 2010-04-10 11:38 AM

2010-04-08 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2770190

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Open!

OK Neal,  I want someone who has done HIM to be hanging with me as I gear for my first HIM this year.  You are stuck with me

To those who have yet to join the group I'm Judi. 

Personal info...married almost 17 years....2 teenage daughters usually referred to as Thing 1 and miss thing.  3 cats

Race history....love 10k's (6 so far)  and half marys (4 so far).  a 5 k....half a dozen or so sprints, 4 oly's......a century ride with another one coming up......This season I have an oly 4/17....century ride 5/8....sprint 6/27.....oly 7/25......my first HIM 9/11.....another half mary in Nov.

Weight loss...been there done that....long story.  About 70 lbs gone....fighting with the last 10 but not real hard, figure it will melt as I build for the HIM.

Not a lot of questions since I'm not a newbie....but new to the distance of HIM and want to know there's a few out there gonna make sure I build smart cause I tend to get a little crazy following my plan and have chronic problems with my hip flexors (thanks to Half mary 2)

Edited by QueenZipp 2010-04-08 7:12 PM
2010-04-08 7:20 PM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL

Hey guys/gals, back again

NAME: Carrie639 (my first aquabike race number)

STORY: Played competitive ice hockey for a good part of the last 15-20 years.  Had alot of injuries (surguries) so had to give it up.  After working out for a few years, was really getting bored.  I told a trainer one day I would love to do tris, but that I couldn't run. He suggested I see the Lifetime Fitness tri club leader and it was she who told me about aquabikes (swim and bike only). That was my first race last year . . . I was hooked immediately and all my friends and family think I am nuts.  I am signed up for a few more this year and I have managed to learn to run, but not without injury.  I am about as prone to shin splints as one could be.  Constantly creates issues with training.

FAMILY STATUS:
I am single, but have two chocolate labs (Bella and Briggs) and a cat (Tag)

CURRENT TRAINING:  I try hard to follow plans, but am just not that good at it.  Masters swims are certain days so that throws things off, and I can only run 2x per week.  Just got a tri bike 2 months ago and while indoor training went really well, I struggle with being in the aero bars outside. I  just cannot get my left elbow comfortable. Still working on it . . . got 1 month to get it

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I am doing a few indoor tris for practice (next one is this weekend), a few half aquabikes, and my A race is Racine 70.3 (I am terrified with my run issues)

2010 RACES:  I would like to be competitive, but am treating this year as fun and do as well as I can.

April:  2 Lifetime indoor tris
May:  Rev 3 olympic, Knoxville; Taylorsville half aquabike, Blackhawk bike ride, Elgin Fox trot
June:  Naperville sprint tri, Pleasant Prarie olympic tri, Horribly Hilly Hundreds
July:  Muncie half aquabike, Racine 70.3
Sept:  Illini Challenge half aquabike, Half Madness

WEIGHTLOSS:  I have lost 20-25 lbs since last July and I want to keep on truckin. I am still an Athena

2010-04-08 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2778597

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Awesome wetsuit, just got the full suit and tried it out in the pool last night.  Fits great and fast, fast, fast
2010-04-08 8:18 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Carrie,

We should trade places...I am a craptastic swimmer.  Got a coach now!  My first private swim lesson will be next Friday evening.  He know's I race on Saturday so it will be a form focus only.  (by the way, miss thing is really a Carrie too).

2010-04-08 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2778597

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
QueenZipp - 2010-04-08 7:12 PM

OK Neal,  I want someone who has done HIM to be hanging with me as I gear for my first HIM this year.  You are stuck with me

To those who have yet to join the group I'm Judi. 

Personal info...married almost 17 years....2 teenage daughters usually referred to as Thing 1 and miss thing.  3 cats

Race history....love 10k's (6 so far)  and half marys (4 so far).  a 5 k....half a dozen or so sprints, 4 oly's......a century ride with another one coming up......This season I have an oly 4/17....century ride 5/8....sprint 6/27.....oly 7/25......my first HIM 9/11.....another half mary in Nov.

Weight loss...been there done that....long story.  About 70 lbs gone....fighting with the last 10 but not real hard, figure it will melt as I build for the HIM.

Not a lot of questions since I'm not a newbie....but new to the distance of HIM and want to know there's a few out there gonna make sure I build smart cause I tend to get a little crazy following my plan and have chronic problems with my hip flexors (thanks to Half mary 2)

You say "stuck" like its a bad thing.  Good to have you aboard.  You'll be a great source of knowledge for the group.

Can't wait to see you gear up for the HIM.  You're gonna do great!

2010-04-08 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2778619

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
carrie639 - 2010-04-08 7:20 PM

Hey guys/gals, back again

NAME: Carrie639 (my first aquabike race number)

STORY: Played competitive ice hockey for a good part of the last 15-20 years.  Had alot of injuries (surguries) so had to give it up.  After working out for a few years, was really getting bored.  I told a trainer one day I would love to do tris, but that I couldn't run. He suggested I see the Lifetime Fitness tri club leader and it was she who told me about aquabikes (swim and bike only). That was my first race last year . . . I was hooked immediately and all my friends and family think I am nuts.  I am signed up for a few more this year and I have managed to learn to run, but not without injury.  I am about as prone to shin splints as one could be.  Constantly creates issues with training.

FAMILY STATUS:
I am single, but have two chocolate labs (Bella and Briggs) and a cat (Tag)

CURRENT TRAINING:  I try hard to follow plans, but am just not that good at it.  Masters swims are certain days so that throws things off, and I can only run 2x per week.  Just got a tri bike 2 months ago and while indoor training went really well, I struggle with being in the aero bars outside. I  just cannot get my left elbow comfortable. Still working on it . . . got 1 month to get it

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  I am doing a few indoor tris for practice (next one is this weekend), a few half aquabikes, and my A race is Racine 70.3 (I am terrified with my run issues)

2010 RACES:  I would like to be competitive, but am treating this year as fun and do as well as I can.

April:  2 Lifetime indoor tris
May:  Rev 3 olympic, Knoxville; Taylorsville half aquabike, Blackhawk bike ride, Elgin Fox trot
June:  Naperville sprint tri, Pleasant Prarie olympic tri, Horribly Hilly Hundreds
July:  Muncie half aquabike, Racine 70.3
Sept:  Illini Challenge half aquabike, Half Madness

WEIGHTLOSS:  I have lost 20-25 lbs since last July and I want to keep on truckin. I am still an Athena

Hi Carrie!  Glad to have you aboard again.  I just notice HHH on your schedule.  I was dangerously close to signing up for that this year.

How are the blisters/shins doing lately?
2010-04-09 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2778749

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Hey Neal/everybody,

Good to be in the group again.  Had some shin pain on Tuesday, but tried to run only 2 days after the previous run (bad idea, for me, at least).

As for the blisters, I have discovered there is many uses for vasoline (apparently body glide does not work as well).  However, you will be glad to hear I did 2 outdoor runs.  The first was crappy (way too hot last Friday, so some walking) the second was a much better 4 miler.

Also, got out on the tri bike Monday . . . WOW, alot to get used to on the road.

About HHH, totally terrified, but have all day to do it
2010-04-09 7:25 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Carrie,

How many miles on your shoes?  I find when my running shoes are hitting 300 miles I start to notice shin splints or knee pain....just a thought anyway.

I am in awe of HHH.  I have heard from others who have done it and swore to not do it again   My century is pretty flat.  Just a few rollers.

2010-04-09 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Neal!  Can I join your group?  I'm planning on my first HIM this year, and this group already looks like it's shaping up pretty well for a half-iron newb looking for mentorship!

I'll post my bio a little later when I have more time.
2010-04-09 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2779311

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I have about 110 miles on the shoes, but I am an Athena, so maybe that breaks them down faster?  I was getting shin splints in beginning though.

I too am in awe of HHH and think I only signed up to say I am signed up  . . . I am horrible at hills so should be a good smack in the face.  I hear the food is good and they will be plenty joining me in misery . . .

2010-04-09 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
Hey Neal,

Can you give us another little group page we can paste on our main page to click on? 
2010-04-09 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2779465

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2010-04-09 8:10 AM Hi Neal!  Can I join your group?  I'm planning on my first HIM this year, and this group already looks like it's shaping up pretty well for a half-iron newb looking for mentorship!

I'll post my bio a little later when I have more time.

Welcome aboard!  Awesome that you're shooting for an HIM this year!
2010-04-09 9:18 AM
in reply to: #2779688

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
carrie639 - 2010-04-09 9:14 AM Hey Neal,

Can you give us another little group page we can paste on our main page to click on? 

Sure thing.  Once we have enough members I will whip up a new group table
2010-04-09 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
NAME: Alexenafi (alexena is my middle name - I go by Fi, short for Fiona, in the real world)

STORY: Grew up in NZ. Competitive swimmer from age 6 to 18 yrs. Then professional lifeguard for a couple of years. Moved to Australia, completed a exercise physiology/kinesiology degree. Worked at that for several years. Rowed for a couple of years. Moved to Canada and now work in advertising as a medical writer.
Started in Tri's last year. Completed 1 try-a-tri and 3 sprints. Ended out season as a spectator at Kona.

FAMILY STATUS:
Single, divorced, two kids - 2yrs and 7yrs.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last year I followed the 2x balanced and was injury free. The winter was uber slack. Lots of running on the treadmill (which I used to hate but now love). Too few spin classes and trainer sessions (still not a fan of the trainer). And no swimming as I take the winter off - I had shoulder surgery 4 yrs ago and want to keep my mileage down over the winter so I can ramp it up of the season.

I need to get back on track but am dealing with a herniated disc from flying down and back to NZ recently. Am working with a very good chiropractor who does ART and acupuncture. Tried running last weekend and ended up back  on the couch. Can only get better. I have a high pain tolerance and am not a complainer - in fact that can be my downfall. My bike is staring at me like a naughty child who doesn't know what he did wrong.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Already raced in an Aquathon in NZ last month. 750m swim/ 5.5 km run. 

2010 RACES:  Hoping to be competitive this year. Last year's goal was to finish and I did well.

May 2nd - 10km run
June - was planing a early/mid month sprint but that is now in jeopardy so I can recover from back injury and race July, Aug, Sept.
July 18th  Gravenhurst Sprint 750/20/5
Aug 7 Bracebridge Sprint 750/20/5
Sept 11 Wasaga Sprint 600/20/4
Sept 26 Scotia half marathon

Dream was to do Alcatraz swim/run in July but back injury has that in jeopardy.

WEIGHTLOSS:  At 6ft tall I could race as an Athena. But race in age group. Lack of training has the scales creaping up. Would like to loose 10 - 15 pounds.

2010-04-09 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
I realize I'm not a HIM candidate this year. Am thinking about doing the Timberland Sprint this Aug with view to going back to NH next year and doing the Timberman HIM.
But want to ramp up the training this year and you all seem to have good sprint experience that I can learn from.
And Alcatraz has always been a big dream - since I was 9yrs old I have wanted to do that swim!
BTW, I'm 39 - 40 in Aug. Wahoo!!!!!!!

Fi

Edited by alexenafi 2010-04-09 9:59 AM

2010-04-09 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
NAME: yogachic / Missy

STORY: This will be my second year of triathlon.  I grew up swimming, playing soccer, and doing Tae Kwon Do (even got a black belt).  In college, became pretty inactive and stayed that way for a while.  In 2007 I decided to get active again, taking up yoga and strength training.  Last year I had it in my head that I wanted to "do a triathlon", so I registered for the Chicago Olympic.  Then I joined a tri club and was told that's a horrible race to do for my first one.  I was told to do a smaller race first and just make Chicago my A-race.  But I caught the tri bug and ending up doing a sprint in May, an Oly in June, and then last minute another oly 2 wks before Chicago!  I still had the racing bug, so I ended up doing my first half-marathon (ie, my first running race) at the end of Sept, and a second half marathon in November.

FAMILY STATUS: 28, single (yeah, I *also* have tons of training time). 

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for my first marathon at the end of the month.  I'm in taper mode right now, and I'm beside myself trying to figure out what to do.  It's getting really nice out (on and off), and I just want to go ride my bike, but not sure if that'll ruin my "tapering".  I've been running ~3x/week, doing pretty minimal biking on my trainer, and I'm saving swimming for after my marathon.  I still like to lift and do yoga, so I incorporate those into my training because it keeps me happy!

2009 RACES: 1 sprint tri, 3 Olys, 2 half marathons.

2010 RACES: Derby Festival Marathon, Galena sprint (I might do the du), MC200, Bigfoot Oly, Door County HIM, Chicago Marathon

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  Oy.  I dropped 55 lbs from my heaviest (right after college) until I decided to start triathlon-ing.  I have since gained 10 lbs, as my consumption of beer has increased dramatically since becoming involved in triathlons.  Apparently all the triathletes & runners I've met in real life like to drink!  A LOT.  I've recently declared that I'm giving up drinking until my marathon. . . But I'll do it all the way until my half ironman if I have to!!  In theory I'd like to drop another 5-10 lbs once the original 10 are gone (for a total of 15-20 lbs from where I am now), but I'd be happy just getting back to my pre-tri weight.
2010-04-09 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2779836

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
alexenafi - 2010-04-09 9:49 AM NAME: Alexenafi (alexena is my middle name - I go by Fi, short for Fiona, in the real world)

STORY: Grew up in NZ. Competitive swimmer from age 6 to 18 yrs. Then professional lifeguard for a couple of years. Moved to Australia, completed a exercise physiology/kinesiology degree. Worked at that for several years. Rowed for a couple of years. Moved to Canada and now work in advertising as a medical writer.
Started in Tri's last year. Completed 1 try-a-tri and 3 sprints. Ended out season as a spectator at Kona.

FAMILY STATUS:
Single, divorced, two kids - 2yrs and 7yrs.

CURRENT TRAINING: Last year I followed the 2x balanced and was injury free. The winter was uber slack. Lots of running on the treadmill (which I used to hate but now love). Too few spin classes and trainer sessions (still not a fan of the trainer). And no swimming as I take the winter off - I had shoulder surgery 4 yrs ago and want to keep my mileage down over the winter so I can ramp it up of the season.

I need to get back on track but am dealing with a herniated disc from flying down and back to NZ recently. Am working with a very good chiropractor who does ART and acupuncture. Tried running last weekend and ended up back  on the couch. Can only get better. I have a high pain tolerance and am not a complainer - in fact that can be my downfall. My bike is staring at me like a naughty child who doesn't know what he did wrong.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  Already raced in an Aquathon in NZ last month. 750m swim/ 5.5 km run. 

2010 RACES:  Hoping to be competitive this year. Last year's goal was to finish and I did well.

May 2nd - 10km run
June - was planing a early/mid month sprint but that is now in jeopardy so I can recover from back injury and race July, Aug, Sept.
July 18th  Gravenhurst Sprint 750/20/5
Aug 7 Bracebridge Sprint 750/20/5
Sept 11 Wasaga Sprint 600/20/4
Sept 26 Scotia half marathon

Dream was to do Alcatraz swim/run in July but back injury has that in jeopardy.

WEIGHTLOSS:  At 6ft tall I could race as an Athena. But race in age group. Lack of training has the scales creaping up. Would like to loose 10 - 15 pounds.

Welcome to the group!  Sorry to hear about your back.  I've heard some great things about ART so hopefully you're back on your feet and training soon.
2010-04-09 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
Neal, do you have room for another?  I like joining mentor groups to get to know more people on BT and also glean some additional knowledge.

NAME: Lori

STORY: Played varsity high school/college competitive adult league tennis. Took up running after graduating from college and completed several 10-Ks, a couple of half marathons, and a 20-miler. Injured my hip training for my first marathon--never made it to the starting line. 

Volunteered at the inaugural IM Wisconsin and was inspired by the BOP'ers. Started running again and lifting weights again. Stated, "I will never do a triathlon--I can't possibly swim". Continued to volunteer at IM WI and started to ponder the possibility of doing a triathlon. Decided to take swim lessons in Feb 05 and hooked up with a local swim coach. Learning to swim was way out of my comfort zone--a major accomplishment. I went from not being able to do one length to completing an Ironman swim.  Swimming is still my major weakness.  Completed IM Wisconsin in 2008, albeit very slowly! 

Completed sprint tris and one Ironman.

Currently retired and taking care of an elderly parent.

FAMILY STATUS: Married / Husband Eric (training partner for biking)/ Two terrier mutt dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing a maintenance schedule--plan to kick it up a notch this month. Planning on a couple swims, bikes, run/walks and strength training/yoga sessions per week.  Diagnosed with Graves' Disease so swimming, biking, and running must be done at a moderate pace. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: One half marathon and one 20K.  The triathlon season was a complete disaster due to health issues.

2010 RACES: The plan includes the Madison Quarter Marathon in May, sprint tri in June (Lake Mills or Verona), an olympic distance tri in July (Triing for Childrens), a sprint in Aug (Oshkosh or Silver Lake).  Would love to do a HIM in September if health allows it.  Fall half marathon (Haunted Hustle).

WEIGHTLOSS: Carrying about 10 pounds less than ideal.
2010-04-09 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Got room for another HIM newbie?  (Tinman in June.)

NAME: PinkPrincess (Veronica or V for short)

STORY: Got into running about three years ago when I moved to Lake Placid.  Got bitten by the Tri bug after watching IMLP (I live on the bike course) for the past four years and did my first sprint tri last summer.  Long distance tri is what really holds my interest though, so I spent all winter building my endurance.

FAMILY STATUS:
 I am single, but have a boyfriend who is getting ready for the Lake Placid XTerra in August.  (He blames me.)

CURRENT TRAINING:  Following the basic (not beginner) Silver HIM plan.  My weak areas are swim form (I swim at a 2:45/100 pace even after several lessons) and bike power and handling skills.  (Just barely got the hang of putting my water bottle back in its cage WITHOUT dropping it or crashing.)  Strength is definitely running and just plain "I'll never quit" stubbornness.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: One sprint tri and a smattering of 5Ks - my main focus was a 90-mile canoe race - took third!

2010 RACES:   Tinman in June and a marathon in the autumn.  Sprinkle in some sprint tris and fun runs as well.

WEIGHTLOSS:  None for me.  I am extremely lucky to have a high metabolism even at 32.

2010-04-09 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
I'd like to join this group if there is still room.

Name: bar92/Briana

Story: Played sports all through middle school/high school then did nothing for a while. I had always wanted to run a marathon but thought it wasn't possible for me. Then my brother-in-law was diagnosed with lymphoma so I signed up with Team in Training for my first marathon in 2005. The training plan called for cross training so I figured if I was doing swimming and cycling I might as well sign up for my first triathlon. I completed the San Diego Rock-n-Roll marathon one week and the following week completed my first tri. I've been hooked on both since.

Family Status: currently married with 2 kids - 14 yo daughter and 11 yo son. Both kids play select sports, so we are busy every weekend with something.

Current Training: My "A" race this year is IMFL. I haven't started officially training for that yet, but have been building toward the Lonestar 70.3 on April 25th. Once Lonestar is over, I will follow the Be Iron Fit plan for my Ironman training. It's a struggle to fit it all in sometimes, but I have a trainer and a treadmill at home, so that helps.

Past Races: I have done 10 marathons, most recently the Marine Corps Marathon and the San Antonio Rock-n-Roll marathon (I'd love to be a 50 stater one day). I have also done lots of half marathons, 10ks and 5ks. I've done 2 century rides at America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe, and lots of tris from the sprint to HIM distance (2 of these).

2010 Races:
1/24 - 3M Half Marathon - 1:57:55
2/14 - Austin Half Marathon - 2:01:41
4/11 - Cap 10K
4/18 - Fiesta Wildflower Century Ride
4/25 - Lonestar 70.3
6/20 - Lake Pflugerville Sprint Triathlon
11/6 - Ironman Florida

There will probably be some other pay rides in there as the schedule allows.

Weight Loss Goals: I'm actually pretty happy with where I am at, but I need to work on nutrition as far as racing is concerned. I know I don't normally drink enough on the bike and have been working on that by setting a timer. I know with IMFL, nutrition will be extremely important. I have started using Infinit and will test it during my century ride and HIM this month to see how that goes.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and watch the progress everyone makes this year.

2010-04-09 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
If there is still room, I would like to join this group. Sounds like this group has alot of people planning on doing their first HIM. So this sounded like a pretty good group to get into because my first HIM will be in june also. I will post more about me later on.

Edited by scotty930 2010-04-09 7:01 PM
2010-04-09 7:13 PM
in reply to: #2779924

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
yogachic - 2010-04-09 10:06 AM NAME: yogachic / Missy

STORY: This will be my second year of triathlon.  I grew up swimming, playing soccer, and doing Tae Kwon Do (even got a black belt).  In college, became pretty inactive and stayed that way for a while.  In 2007 I decided to get active again, taking up yoga and strength training.  Last year I had it in my head that I wanted to "do a triathlon", so I registered for the Chicago Olympic.  Then I joined a tri club and was told that's a horrible race to do for my first one.  I was told to do a smaller race first and just make Chicago my A-race.  But I caught the tri bug and ending up doing a sprint in May, an Oly in June, and then last minute another oly 2 wks before Chicago!  I still had the racing bug, so I ended up doing my first half-marathon (ie, my first running race) at the end of Sept, and a second half marathon in November.

FAMILY STATUS: 28, single (yeah, I *also* have tons of training time). 

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for my first marathon at the end of the month.  I'm in taper mode right now, and I'm beside myself trying to figure out what to do.  It's getting really nice out (on and off), and I just want to go ride my bike, but not sure if that'll ruin my "tapering".  I've been running ~3x/week, doing pretty minimal biking on my trainer, and I'm saving swimming for after my marathon.  I still like to lift and do yoga, so I incorporate those into my training because it keeps me happy!

2009 RACES: 1 sprint tri, 3 Olys, 2 half marathons.

2010 RACES: Derby Festival Marathon, Galena sprint (I might do the du), MC200, Bigfoot Oly, Door County HIM, Chicago Marathon

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  Oy.  I dropped 55 lbs from my heaviest (right after college) until I decided to start triathlon-ing.  I have since gained 10 lbs, as my consumption of beer has increased dramatically since becoming involved in triathlons.  Apparently all the triathletes & runners I've met in real life like to drink!  A LOT.  I've recently declared that I'm giving up drinking until my marathon. . . But I'll do it all the way until my half ironman if I have to!!  In theory I'd like to drop another 5-10 lbs once the original 10 are gone (for a total of 15-20 lbs from where I am now), but I'd be happy just getting back to my pre-tri weight.

I applaud anyone who can give up beer for any period time.  I think you'll have to allow yourself at least one upon completion of that marathon in a few weeks.
2010-04-09 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2780599

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
retiretotri - 2010-04-09 1:11 PM Neal, do you have room for another?  I like joining mentor groups to get to know more people on BT and also glean some additional knowledge.

NAME: Lori

STORY: Played varsity high school/college competitive adult league tennis. Took up running after graduating from college and completed several 10-Ks, a couple of half marathons, and a 20-miler. Injured my hip training for my first marathon--never made it to the starting line. 

Volunteered at the inaugural IM Wisconsin and was inspired by the BOP'ers. Started running again and lifting weights again. Stated, "I will never do a triathlon--I can't possibly swim". Continued to volunteer at IM WI and started to ponder the possibility of doing a triathlon. Decided to take swim lessons in Feb 05 and hooked up with a local swim coach. Learning to swim was way out of my comfort zone--a major accomplishment. I went from not being able to do one length to completing an Ironman swim.  Swimming is still my major weakness.  Completed IM Wisconsin in 2008, albeit very slowly! 

Completed sprint tris and one Ironman.

Currently retired and taking care of an elderly parent.

FAMILY STATUS: Married / Husband Eric (training partner for biking)/ Two terrier mutt dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: Doing a maintenance schedule--plan to kick it up a notch this month. Planning on a couple swims, bikes, run/walks and strength training/yoga sessions per week.  Diagnosed with Graves' Disease so swimming, biking, and running must be done at a moderate pace. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES: One half marathon and one 20K.  The triathlon season was a complete disaster due to health issues.

2010 RACES: The plan includes the Madison Quarter Marathon in May, sprint tri in June (Lake Mills or Verona), an olympic distance tri in July (Triing for Childrens), a sprint in Aug (Oshkosh or Silver Lake).  Would love to do a HIM in September if health allows it.  Fall half marathon (Haunted Hustle).

WEIGHTLOSS: Carrying about 10 pounds less than ideal.

I Lori!  Welcome to the group.  Glad to have someone that I can direct all of my IMMOO questions to
2010-04-09 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2780683

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
PinkPrincess - 2010-04-09 1:37 PM Got room for another HIM newbie?  (Tinman in June.)

NAME: PinkPrincess (Veronica or V for short)

STORY: Got into running about three years ago when I moved to Lake Placid.  Got bitten by the Tri bug after watching IMLP (I live on the bike course) for the past four years and did my first sprint tri last summer.  Long distance tri is what really holds my interest though, so I spent all winter building my endurance.

FAMILY STATUS:
 I am single, but have a boyfriend who is getting ready for the Lake Placid XTerra in August.  (He blames me.)

CURRENT TRAINING:  Following the basic (not beginner) Silver HIM plan.  My weak areas are swim form (I swim at a 2:45/100 pace even after several lessons) and bike power and handling skills.  (Just barely got the hang of putting my water bottle back in its cage WITHOUT dropping it or crashing.)  Strength is definitely running and just plain "I'll never quit" stubbornness.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: One sprint tri and a smattering of 5Ks - my main focus was a 90-mile canoe race - took third!

2010 RACES:   Tinman in June and a marathon in the autumn.  Sprinkle in some sprint tris and fun runs as well.

WEIGHTLOSS:  None for me.  I am extremely lucky to have a high metabolism even at 32.

Sure we've got room for you.  90 mile canoe race?  Zoinks!  My arms are tired just thinking about that
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 46