BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2010-07-23 1:14 PM
in reply to: #3000243

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: RE: BamaDC's mentor group is Closed!
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 12:50 PM
pilotzs - 2010-07-23 9:36 AM
cornfed - 2010-07-22 4:28 PM My local bike shop had a link on there webpage this article by Matt Fitzgerald's titled "How to Nail the Ironman Marathon".

Good article.

So, it's suggesting that building your biking strength is very important, even compared to the run.  Maybe i'm looking at my training all wrong.

My run is horrible (bad pace), which I would like to improve.  I've seen some improvement, but need much more.  How would you balance improving your running and biking without overdoing it?  My pace on the run needs to be much better, but apparently without running a lot (4-5 times a week, which may take away from the biking), how do you find the improvement that may be needed?  Or, should I run 3 times a week, trying to build up to 25 miles a week?  2 five mile runs + any bricks, plus the long weekend run to get to 25+ miles a week?

Give it time and be consistant.  When I started back in 06, I was running 9 to 10 minute miles.

I agree.  Look at my logs from last year.  I was running 9-10 minute miles and really struggling but just last month I did a 10-miler in just under 8 min/mile.  You'll get there.  It'll just take some time.

Edited by cornfed 2010-07-23 1:15 PM

2010-07-23 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3000547

User image

Expert
Alabama
cornfed - 2010-07-23 1:14 PM
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 12:50 PM
pilotzs - 2010-07-23 9:36 AM
cornfed - 2010-07-22 4:28 PM My local bike shop had a link on there webpage this article by Matt Fitzgerald's titled "How to Nail the Ironman Marathon".

Good article.

So, it's suggesting that building your biking strength is very important, even compared to the run.  Maybe i'm looking at my training all wrong.

My run is horrible (bad pace), which I would like to improve.  I've seen some improvement, but need much more.  How would you balance improving your running and biking without overdoing it?  My pace on the run needs to be much better, but apparently without running a lot (4-5 times a week, which may take away from the biking), how do you find the improvement that may be needed?  Or, should I run 3 times a week, trying to build up to 25 miles a week?  2 five mile runs + any bricks, plus the long weekend run to get to 25+ miles a week?

Give it time and be consistant.  When I started back in 06, I was running 9 to 10 minute miles.

I agree.  Look at my logs from last year.  I was running 9-10 minute miles and really struggling but just last month I did a 10-miler in just under 8 min/mile.  You'll get there.  It'll just take some time.

How often do you run with you tri training, and how did you build your mileage?
2010-07-23 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Expert
Raleigh
I want a power meter!!! Got one on my computrainer, but would be nice for outdoor rides to. You guys been watching tdf? Seen where guys are pushing 500 watts for hours on end. They say the sprinters can max out well over 1000 watts. The highest I've ever been able to push the power meter is around 700 watts hammering with all I have for about 15 seconds.

2010-07-23 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3000734

User image

Expert
Alabama

Its amazing to watch those guys hammer it out for hours on end, then get up and do it again the next day.

What do you look for in a powermeter?  I've been looking on ebay recently.  There seems to be some pretty decent prices for some used ones.  I'm scouting a Powertap Pro+ right now, with the HR strap, Powertap Pro+ (24 spoke), Shimano 10 speed (which should be compatible with what i have) and the yellow computer. Says mostly used on an indoor trainer.  I believe the Pro+ is Ant+ compatible.

Can these be mounted to a current wheel?  I've got the stock wheels that came on my Trek road bike.  They are Bontranger Race X Lite's i believe.  How hard are they to install on a current wheel?

2010-07-23 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
I know, it's crazy.  The peloton averaged something like 19 mph yesterday... going up col de tourmalet!

Did you see the herd of sheep that ran along with them yesterday?  That was hilarious.
2010-07-23 3:49 PM
in reply to: #3000820

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2010-07-23 3:51 PM

Its amazing to watch those guys hammer it out for hours on end, then get up and do it again the next day.

What do you look for in a powermeter?  I've been looking on ebay recently.  There seems to be some pretty decent prices for some used ones.  I'm scouting a Powertap Pro+ right now, with the HR strap, Powertap Pro+ (24 spoke), Shimano 10 speed (which should be compatible with what i have) and the yellow computer. Says mostly used on an indoor trainer.  I believe the Pro+ is Ant+ compatible.

Can these be mounted to a current wheel?  I've got the stock wheels that came on my Trek road bike.  They are Bontranger Race X Lite's i believe.  How hard are they to install on a current wheel?

I'm thinking along the same line.  I don't think it's a DIY job. From what i understand wheel building is a bit of an art.  To get the tension right and make sure the wheel is true you'll need to have a shop to do it (or buy a bunch of equipment).  You also need to make sure the number of spokes on your current wheel matches whatever hub you buy.

2010-07-23 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

titeloops - 2010-07-23 2:18 PM I want a power meter!!! Got one on my computrainer, but would be nice for outdoor rides to. You guys been watching tdf? Seen where guys are pushing 500 watts for hours on end. They say the sprinters can max out well over 1000 watts. The highest I've ever been able to push the power meter is around 700 watts hammering with all I have for about 15 seconds.

HA! I hit 1142 watts.  I had the angle on a Pitbull and let it rip!

2010-07-23 6:45 PM
in reply to: #3000984

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-07-23 3:49 PM

I'm thinking along the same line.  I don't think it's a DIY job. From what i understand wheel building is a bit of an art.  To get the tension right and make sure the wheel is true you'll need to have a shop to do it (or buy a bunch of equipment).  You also need to make sure the number of spokes on your current wheel matches whatever hub you buy.

Very well said.  It is an art and you do need a bunch of equipment.  That's the only wrench work I don't do myself.
2010-07-23 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3001310

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 6:45 PM
cornfed - 2010-07-23 3:49 PM

Very well said.  It is an art and you do need a bunch of equipment.  That's the only wrench work I don't do myself.

Sounds complicated.  Is it worth buying a used powertap and having it installed  on a stock wheel at a shop?  Or better to save up and get the wheel build too?
2010-07-23 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3000820

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
pilotzs - 2010-07-23 2:51 PM

I'm pretty sure PT has a bontrager specific hub.  I have a Quarq and love it.  Like I said before, if I had to get a PT I'd try to have it laced in to a 60ish rim.

2010-07-23 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3001314

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 7:49 PM

I'm pretty sure PT has a bontrager specific hub.  I have a Quarq and love it.  Like I said before, if I had to get a PT I'd try to have it laced in to a 60ish rim.

Stupid question... What happens if you need to replace you chain ring? Do you just replace the gears and keep using the power meter? Is this straight forward or do you have to send it back to the factory?

2010-07-23 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3001591

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-07-23 10:33 PM
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 7:49 PM

Stupid question... What happens if you need to replace you chain ring? Do you just replace the gears and keep using the power meter? Is this straight forward or do you have to send it back to the factory?

Chainrings on a Quarq or a cassette on a powertap?

2010-07-23 10:45 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Chain rings on a Quarq, yes you need to send it to ND, so they can recalibrate it.  They have a 1-2 day turn around.  Cassette on a Powertap, you can switch it out yourself.

Chainrings usually last 10-20 thousand miles.  My set of Rotor rings have 8,000ish miles on them.
2010-07-24 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
I'm in the Outer Banks this week and i think my swimming just took a good swift kick in the pants.  The water is in the low to mid 60's.  I tried to swim a little today but it was too cold.  Hopefully either the water will warm up or I'll HTFU by the end of the week!
2010-07-24 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3002520

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cornfed - 2010-07-24 8:19 PM I'm in the Outer Banks this week and i think my swimming just took a good swift kick in the pants.  The water is in the low to mid 60's.  I tried to swim a little today but it was too cold.  Hopefully either the water will warm up or I'll HTFU by the end of the week!

water in 60's at the outer banks? It's was in the 80's at wrightsville beach last weekend. Where on the OB are you? Strange. Try and enjoy it. It was 102 in Raleigh today with heat index of 110. I went for a swim workout today and water was like a sauna. Wish i could have found some cold water.
2010-07-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3002569

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-07-24 10:04 PM
cornfed - 2010-07-24 8:19 PM I'm in the Outer Banks this week and i think my swimming just took a good swift kick in the pants.  The water is in the low to mid 60's.  I tried to swim a little today but it was too cold.  Hopefully either the water will warm up or I'll HTFU by the end of the week!

water in 60's at the outer banks? It's was in the 80's at wrightsville beach last weekend. Where on the OB are you? Strange. Try and enjoy it. It was 102 in Raleigh today with heat index of 110. I went for a swim workout today and water was like a sauna. Wish i could have found some cold water.

The sign on the lifeguard stand said it was 59 today.  Didn't feel that cold but still too cold to swim.  We're a little north of Duck.  The water is always cold anywhere north of Hatteras, just not normally this could.

2010-07-25 5:00 PM
in reply to: #3001307

User image

Master
BamaDC - 2010-07-23 6:44 PM

titeloops - 2010-07-23 2:18 PM I want a power meter!!! Got one on my computrainer, but would be nice for outdoor rides to. You guys been watching tdf? Seen where guys are pushing 500 watts for hours on end. They say the sprinters can max out well over 1000 watts. The highest I've ever been able to push the power meter is around 700 watts hammering with all I have for about 15 seconds.

HA! I hit 1142 watts.  I had the angle on a Pitbull and let it rip!

Nothing like a dog to get the blood going.  And evidently the legs, too.
2010-07-26 7:47 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
These are great exchanges.

FWIW: I have a "kinetic power meter" on the roadbike that's actually calibrated for my kurt kinetic bike trainer. It's great for that purpose, and still gives me readouts on the road, but not near as accurate.

Sadly, it only tells me the average and total. I'd really like to see a graph of how it relates to my HR throughout the ride.

And what's worse, thanks to Mark, I've started looking harder at the quarq's, but I'd have to get a new ANT+ computer to read it with....

I'm looking to shift gears here:

How's the heat affecting everyone in the three disciplines lately?
Swim: not bad. the water is a whole lot warmer, but it's still doable.

Bike: not too bad. I'm drinking more fluids and burning through some 68oz on a 30mi ride (1.5hrs), but otherwise feeling good.

Run: terrible. I noticed that maintaining my spring pace (8:50-9:15/mi for 5mi) is just about impossible. Within the first mile, my HR is jacked and it's not long before the engine room starts shutting down. I'm noticing that I'm averaging a 9:40-9:50/mi on a 5mi route now, and would really like to think it's the heat getting me, not my lack of fitness.

So yea, just suck it up on the run, back it down so I know I can finish, run a but load more?

What gives?
2010-07-26 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
I had a brutal weekend of workouts. The Heat was definitely a major factor. We been hot as hell for a month now. This weekend was temps over 100 with heat index of 110 or better. Did a hilly 60 miler on Sat. that just kicked my azz. Then a 1 hour run on Sunday morning. When I finished I literally could not believe the sweat I was producing. The wife got pissed when i came in the house dripping all over. I start early, but it's 85 at 6:00 am this morning. Need a break in the heat for sure.
2010-07-26 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3004174

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
LostSheep - 2010-07-26 7:47 AM These are great exchanges.

FWIW: I have a "kinetic power meter" on the roadbike that's actually calibrated for my kurt kinetic bike trainer. It's great for that purpose, and still gives me readouts on the road, but not near as accurate.

Sadly, it only tells me the average and total. I'd really like to see a graph of how it relates to my HR throughout the ride.

And what's worse, thanks to Mark, I've started looking harder at the quarq's, but I'd have to get a new ANT+ computer to read it with....

I'm looking to shift gears here:

How's the heat affecting everyone in the three disciplines lately?
Swim: not bad. the water is a whole lot warmer, but it's still doable.

Bike: not too bad. I'm drinking more fluids and burning through some 68oz on a 30mi ride (1.5hrs), but otherwise feeling good.

Run: terrible. I noticed that maintaining my spring pace (8:50-9:15/mi for 5mi) is just about impossible. Within the first mile, my HR is jacked and it's not long before the engine room starts shutting down. I'm noticing that I'm averaging a 9:40-9:50/mi on a 5mi route now, and would really like to think it's the heat getting me, not my lack of fitness.

So yea, just suck it up on the run, back it down so I know I can finish, run a but load more?

What gives?

Just a note if your looking at the Quarq, you can find the SRAM/Bontrager/TruVativ GXP cranks cheaper on Ebay.  I have the SRAM model but the Bontrager and Tru ust have different stickers on them
2010-07-26 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3004493

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-26 9:48 AM I had a brutal weekend of workouts. The Heat was definitely a major factor. We been hot as hell for a month now. This weekend was temps over 100 with heat index of 110 or better. Did a hilly 60 miler on Sat. that just kicked my azz. Then a 1 hour run on Sunday morning. When I finished I literally could not believe the sweat I was producing. The wife got pissed when i came in the house dripping all over. I start early, but it's 85 at 6:00 am this morning. Need a break in the heat for sure.

Look honey!  I sweated my azz off!  I've had some recent runs where even my shoes were heavy from the sweat.

2010-07-26 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

How was everyone's week.  I had very good swim/run week but the bike fell behind due to my pedals locking up.

S:  
10300.00 Yd, 3h 00m 35s
B: 
41.90 Mi, 2h 15m
R:  
31.31 Mi, 4h 00m 07s
2010-07-26 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh

S: 4000Y 1:25
B: 138.5 miles 7:45
R: 16.25 miles 2:38

2010-07-26 2:57 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Ok, Mark, thanks for the input on the quarq, but I've got a ways to go, and I'm just as confused looking at it now as I was 3months ago.

Am I replacing the whole crankset and current setup I have, or am I buying a new one? (I did see that I could do either or right?)

And how do I know if I'm currently using 110 or 130 crank arms? And lastly, what's the largest difference besides brand on all of the different cranks available? Not sure why, but it just seems like there's a WHOLE lot going on!
2010-07-26 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3005275

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
BamaDC - 2010-07-26 3:03 PM

How was everyone's week.  I had very good swim/run week but the bike fell behind due to my pedals locking up.

S:  
10300.00 Yd, 3h 00m 35s
B: 
41.90 Mi, 2h 15m
R:  
31.31 Mi, 4h 00m 07s

decent  week here.
Week Totals
S:  
8500.00 Yd
3h 21m
B: 
190.94 Mi
11h 19m 02s
R:  
18.63 Mi
3h 10m 27s
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  

of 52