BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 106

2010-12-30 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3268199

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED
IceManScott - 2010-12-30 1:03 PM Pulled along, I like that Nate.  I supposed hooking a tether on one of the faster ones is out of the question?

Rope one? Brilliant! 

2010-12-30 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3256268

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Just registered for 2 events.  Had to get it in before the end of the year to say some $$, but even so...races are getting expensive!
2010-12-30 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3268343

User image

Elite
Triathlynne - 2010-12-30 1:13 PM

Well guys I smoked my last cigarette EVER last night.  That's it for me.  I'm done!  

Yayyyy! Good for you & good luck!
2010-12-30 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3268186

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Corncub - 2010-12-30 11:55 AM Hey GMrgirl,I think your 5k plan is good but I would add strength training once or better, twice a week. When you begin running it's a good idea to strengthen core, hips, glutes, hams, all the muscles you use when running. That and stretching/rolling will help keep you healthy. I began building up milage before doing specific strength training for runners and ended up hurting my glute and my knees. Just IMO...I was ok up to 3 miles bit soon you'll be doing more then that and it'll make a big difference to have strong limber legs...Meanwhile, I'm still sick... It's all cups of tea and neti pots around here. Blah.Question: do y'all workout when you have a cold? I feel lethargic and stuffed up but I could probably do something ez today. Go ez or ?

I read somewhere that if your symptoms are above the neck, it's OK to workout.  If your symptoms are below the neck (like flu with all over aches) then you shouldn't workout.  I usually take the day off and get lots of rest if I have a cold, though.  Otherwise it just drags on and on.
2010-12-30 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3268440

User image

Veteran
Brooklyn NY
ingleshteechur - 2010-12-30 1:49 PM

Well guys I smoked my last cigarette EVER last night.  That's it for me.  I'm done!  

Yayyyy! Good for you & good luck!
That's great! Congrats!Thanks for the sage advice Rebecca, that's a good rule of thumb. I think Ive mostly got a head cold. In any case I was too impatient to wait for a reply To my question and went out and did an ez 30 min run.

Edited by Corncub 2010-12-30 1:58 PM
2010-12-30 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Awesome!

2010-12-30 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3268199

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
IceManScott - 2010-12-30 1:03 PM Pulled along, I like that Nate.  I supposed hooking a tether on one of the faster ones is out of the question?

Yea, they tend to frown on strapping to other people for a pull. I have been trying to find a way to attach some mini propellers to the bottom of my wetsuit though. No luck yet.
2010-12-30 2:12 PM
in reply to: #3268378

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
laurak11 - 2010-12-30 2:24 PM Zee- I know I'll be able to finish it.  I did well in my last one but I was also fortunate to ride the coarse from my house every weekend and swim in lake erie when I wanted.  I "know" I will do it, just have some nerves.... It wouldnt' be an IM if you weren't alittle intimidated

Sorry, missed the part that you had done one. My Ironman was done on my home course as well. Most likely won't do an out of town IM until my dad decides to buy a condo by other courses as well to make race week better =)
2010-12-30 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3267840

User image

Del Rio, TX
laurak11 - 2010-12-30 9:23 AM Enrique- it's ok I get up 4-5am sometimes to workout before work... It's def doable. On the issue of stretching/foam rollers it's almost a must. I was pretty much injured (my hip) all of 09. I started doing more yoga and stretching and pilates and this year is the best I"ve felt in  a long time. Hmmm... or maybe it was bc I added swim and bike? IDK...

Also to all the new swimmers- I couldn't barely to 2 laps when starting last Jan. By about April I could do 1 mi straight (2200yds).  By Sept I did 2.4 mi and felt fine when I got out of the water.  Just took 2.5 months off totally of swimming and I got back in the pool and did an hour con't (3000yds).  It get easier!!! The key is to get the basics done... Go to master's swim or even google/youtube swimming videos! On that note I have to get out of bed, get my starbucks, and hit the trainer!!!

Thanks for the swimming tips and confidence boost! 
2010-12-30 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3259701

User image

Veteran
Angola, IN
McFuzz - 2010-12-23 4:09 PM Wow!  I leave for *ONE* morning and this is what I come back to?  (Big GRIN)

N3dinc (Rod)
Sjhodgson (Shannon)
Silverback25 (Simon)
GmrGirl (Angi)
Zee744 (Nate)
BigDfromBigD (Doug)
Triathlynne (Lynne)
Wabash (Jason)
Corncub (Nicky)
ricmachado (Ricardo)
reid15 (Art)
Amd723 (Ann-Marie)
robingray260 (Robin)
Suzimmer (Susie)
RunfasterMommy (Heather)
R3b3cca (Rebecca)
Soccermom15 (Janet)
Infu5229 (CJ)
Stephsprint (Stephanie)
Smack (Seth)
Srichards428 (Shawn)
Buffedstuff (??
IceManScott (Scott)
Ingleshteechur (Kim)
Ree (Maria)

25 people is a big group!  Luckily, most of you will step up to the challenge of helping me out. 

For those of you who've been around a bit:  feel free to share your experience and your enthusiasm.  Share with each other, share with the new friends, and share with me.  (I really am honored to have you choose me as your mentor.

For those of you just starting out:  Thank you for taking that first big risk, to join a mentor group and share your goals and background.  It can certainly feel a bit intimidating to introduce yourself to a group with far more experience than yourself.  Please don't think that because you're "only training for a 5K" we don't want to hear about your training successes and concerns. 

This should make you feel a little better.  I knew I needed to lose weight and get fit to take my son to Philmont.  Know why Philmont reservations are made 18 months in advance?  It's so adults like me can get ready for the trip.  I turned in my deposit in January 2004 for a trek in June 2005.  I spent from January until October pretending to lose weight while I upped my walking from zero times per week to one time per week woo-hoo!!.  Mid-October, we were out "killing time" at a small sporting-goods store and they had an elliptical trainer on clearance because it wasn't working right.  Never one to pass up a great deal, we bought the trainer, I downloaded the manual and figured out what wasn't right about it.  It sat in our bedroom for another week while I made a commitment to work out every day.  November 1, 2005, I stepped on the elliptical...I've been around the block once or twice, so I know the key is to start out E-A-S-Y so that I can get myself out of bed the next day unassisted (and hopefully string together TWO workouts in a row)...So my goal that afternoon was very modest...start slow and go 15 minutes...  About 9 minutes into the workout, I was redfaced, sweating profusely, and my heart wanted out of my chest in the worst way.  I wasn't sure I would finish even 15 minutes even though I'd started EASY.  I slowed down from my already ridiculously slow pace and wondered how I could be so stupid to not bring water for a 15-minute workout!!  I finished (I'm stubborn) and did another 15 minutes the next day. 

Fast forward to this year, and I've run over 1100 miles this year.  I've completed an Ironman, a 50-mile ultramarathon (both last year) and thought doing a "tour-de-parks" unofficial ultramarathon 2 weeks after a marathon/30-mile-ultra weekend and 3 weeks before a trail marathon would be "fun."  (and it was).  Know what?  The first 10 minutes of every training run are still the hardest thing to do!  If you're just starting out, and you get out there for even 10 or 15 minutes, I'M IMPRESSED!! 

OK everyone, please take just a minute to add me as a friend.  discipleguideservice  - My real name is Josh Kugler (Ree's husband).  I would like to be able to give inspires in relationship to your training log posts, but I cannot see them unless you add me as a friend.  This is a very active group, so thanks in advance for adding me.
2010-12-30 8:36 PM

Veteran
Triathlynne - 2010-12-30 2:13 PM

That's AWESOME!!!  Doing anything to help?  My mother-in-law did aqupuncture.  She never picked up another cigarette.  It only cost her $170 for her aqupuncture!!  She did it in Toledo, OH.   Both grandparents & father-in-law quit cold turkey, and have never picked it up again!!! Keep your hands busy, that seem's to have helped them.

2010-12-30 8:38 PM

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
OK guys, time for me to check in.  Since I last posted, I've decided not to go for 140.6 this year. As much as I WANT to and know I CAN do it...a bunch of people really close to me (who are atheletes themselves) gave me a reality smack to the forehead.  While I'm NEVER one to have my "situation" be an excuse...the reality is, I"m in my LAST semester of my bachelors degree, I have an internship to complete this summer, on top of work, oh and those two adorable little rugrats that call me mom to keep happy and healthy.  I was bummed, but they had a good point. I want to enjoy the training , and not have my family disown me in the process.

So, 2012 it will be.  , I'm going for Rev3 Quassy 70.3 in June instead.  Guess I should work my way up anyway Wink

And I know it's in here somewhere, but how do I add you all as friends? I'm still learning how to use this site!

2010-12-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3267860

User image

Del Rio, TX
laurak11 - 2010-12-30 9:31 AM
I used it sporadically over the past 2 years but after getting hurt, I couldn't run or bike so I added swim sessions and strength workout and have been using it religiously this winter with great results.  The key has been to try to tone and strengthen without adding a lot of heavy muscled bulk.  I have ARMS and a way better core. The result has been more comfort on the trainer and better times in the pool.  All good.

I plan on starting P90X to help w/ lean muscle... kinda scared

My husband and I did P90X for about a month...kind of got burnt out from it because it was hard to find a time to do the workouts everyday together with two kiddos running around.  Each workout is at least 60 min. and lots of push ups and pull ups!  Good program though, I enjoyed it as long as we did it.  If you don't already have it you should get the pull up bar thing that just slips on and off door frames.  You can also use it for dips and push ups when not hanging up. 
2010-12-30 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3267869

User image

Del Rio, TX
McFuzz - 2010-12-30 9:34 AM
sjhodgson - 2010-12-29 9:29 PM OK, so I did 900yds swim today in about 27min.  Swimming is my weakest point and I know everyones times are different but to be an average begginer, what should I shoot for as far as time??  What do you think is realistic (in avg. time/100 yrds).  I guess I'm trying to set a goal for myself for when my race comes up...it's 1500m swim.

Oh and how come when I reply to individual posts they just start a new thread instead of attaching to the comment I was replying to??? : / 

3 minutes/100 yards isn't a bad starting point for an "average beginner."  When considering a goal, keep in mind you might have multiple goals competing for your time and attention.  Could you swim the 1500 m in less than 30 minutes?  Sounds impossible, but if that's your goal, take some lessons and swim.swim.swim.swim.swim and you can make it happen.  A couple other facters come into play here.  First, a wetsuit adds bouyancy (especially in the legs) which puts you flatter in the water (more efficient and faster) but your arms are working against the resistance of the neoprene.  Second, there's no black line and no wall every 25 yards or 50 meters, so it's harder to judge speed in the open water.  Third, you'll have 50 of your closest "friends" swimming next to and over you and that chaos can be difficult.  My advice to first-time triathletes (unless you're already a top-notch swimmer) is to stand on the shore and slowly count to 10, 15, or even 20 while your "wave" thrashes around.  Then smoothly and calmly slide into the water and start swimming.  You'll catch up to them within a couple hundred yards but they'll have thinned out enough that you can avoid most of the contact.  Also keep in mind that it may be difficult to measure open-water courses, so swims are notoriously short/long and that affects your time.  Many races also include the run from the beach to the transition area in the "swim" time and for some races, that can be several hundred yards (2-3 minutes). 

Oooh, all great info!  I do know I will sit at the back of the pack until all is calm.  So when I pick out my training plan I'm going to look at the training plans here on BT...should I use the one that is focused on swimming since that's my weakest?  There is a 15 week olympic swimming focused one I've been eyeing. 
2010-12-30 10:56 PM
in reply to: #3269047

User image

Del Rio, TX
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-30 8:38 PM OK guys, time for me to check in.  Since I last posted, I've decided not to go for 140.6 this year. As much as I WANT to and know I CAN do it...a bunch of people really close to me (who are atheletes themselves) gave me a reality smack to the forehead.  While I'm NEVER one to have my "situation" be an excuse...the reality is, I"m in my LAST semester of my bachelors degree, I have an internship to complete this summer, on top of work, oh and those two adorable little rugrats that call me mom to keep happy and healthy.  I was bummed, but they had a good point. I want to enjoy the training , and not have my family disown me in the process.

So, 2012 it will be.  , I'm going for Rev3 Quassy 70.3 in June instead.  Guess I should work my way up anyway Wink

And I know it's in here somewhere, but how do I add you all as friends? I'm still learning how to use this site!

This is just cut and pasted from McFuzzes earlier posts and should help you out...

OK...first thing is for each of you to add one another to your list of friends here.  

Go to settings (the little wrench icon at the top).  
Select the Training Blog Customization tab
Select the Friends tab
either type in the screen name directly, or use the ... button to look for someone (so if you ... and type "fuzz" I'll show up in the list).  

You can also add a hyperlink to this thread.  Copy the URL, go back to your Training Blog Customization page and select the dashboard tab.  Somewhere in here, type something that'll make sense to you (I'll probably use something creative, like "McFuzz's 2011 Thread") highlight it, and then click on the little chain icon which brings up a hyperlink window where you can paste the previously copied hyperlink.  
2010-12-30 11:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
IT band held up under an intense high cadence workout tonight

2 sets
5 mins @ 85% @ 100 rpm, 5 mins rest, then 3X90 secs @ 105% @110 rpm followed by a third 5 mins @ 85% @ 100.  No problems.  I've been running on the treadmill up to 45 mins at a time.   I think I'm out of the woods.  Keys now are foam rollers and yoga/stretching everyday.  Learned a lot from this.

Happy New Year.  Rest day.  

2010-12-31 12:52 AM
in reply to: #3269042

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Ree - 2010-12-30 6:36 PM

That's AWESOME!!!  Doing anything to help?  My mother-in-law did aqupuncture.  She never picked up another cigarette.  It only cost her $170 for her aqupuncture!!  She did it in Toledo, OH.   Both grandparents & father-in-law quit cold turkey, and have never picked it up again!!! Keep your hands busy, that seem's to have helped them.

I bought a TON of gum today and I also signed up for Zumba classes. I start those in a few weeks.  I got 20 classes for $25 on Livingsocial.com.  Great deal.  I am very uncoordinated however so this shall be fun. lol

Anyone doing a NY's day run or Polar dip or anything exciting?

2010-12-31 2:59 AM
in reply to: #3268394

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
stephsprint - 2010-12-30 2:31 PM
laurak11 - 2010-12-30 10:31 AM
I used it sporadically over the past 2 years but after getting hurt, I couldn't run or bike so I added swim sessions and strength workout and have been using it religiously this winter with great results.  The key has been to try to tone and strengthen without adding a lot of heavy muscled bulk.  I have ARMS and a way better core. The result has been more comfort on the trainer and better times in the pool.  All good.

I plan on starting P90X to help w/ lean muscle... kinda scared

I have it and it's tough. I started 3 weeks ago.. did a week, then started the tri-training. I miss it already. I need to incorporate it into my weekday 2 a days that start Jan 3rd. The stretch and yoga are nice. I don't do pull-ups...I use bands. It's all adjustable to your gear and fitness level. ENJOY! 

Yeah i was planning on doing hitting it hard but w/ the IM now scheduled I'll prob just do it a couple times a week as a supplement.
2010-12-31 3:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Oh yeah and everyone add me too as a "friend"... I like to look at logs and give personnal inspires
2010-12-31 3:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
Lynne- BIG props on the quitting smoking..... Only good things can come from it
2010-12-31 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3269191

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
sjhodgson - 2010-12-30 11:56 PM
RunFasterMommy - 2010-12-30 8:38 PM And I know it's in here somewhere, but how do I add you all as friends? I'm still learning how to use this site!

This is just cut and pasted from McFuzzes earlier posts and should help you out...

OK...first thing is for each of you to add one another to your list of friends here.  

Go to settings (the little wrench icon at the top).  
Select the Training Blog Customization tab
Select the Friends tab
either type in the screen name directly, or use the ... button to look for someone (so if you ... and type "fuzz" I'll show up in the list).  

You can also add a hyperlink to this thread.  Copy the URL, go back to your Training Blog Customization page and select the dashboard tab.  Somewhere in here, type something that'll make sense to you (I'll probably use something creative, like "McFuzz's 2011 Thread") highlight it, and then click on the little chain icon which brings up a hyperlink window where you can paste the previously copied hyperlink.  

Awesome thank you! I think I got everyone on the list!

2010-12-31 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Heather, you have a full plate.  And I did my first half IM this year and I LOVED that distance.  Long enough to enjoy every part but not so long I needed a medical tent after  

I added everyone as explained. But I leave my profile public.  No need I can see to do otherwise.  So visit as ovften as you wish.  I was religious about logging, but stopped during the IT band recovery because I was only swimming 3 times and doing strength and stretching.  Not much too interesting.  Restarted when I joined here. 

Happy New Year.  May the water be calm, the hills small, the wind always at your back.

Ice.

2010-12-31 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3269289

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Triathlynne - 2010-12-31 1:52 AM

Ree - 2010-12-30 6:36 PM

I recommend washing EVERYTHING. I remember the first time I put a smelly towel up to my face after a day off the smokes. I was DISGUSTED! Then I realized... everything smelled that way... ew! So I washed and cleaned and scrubbed EVERYTHING. Now when I smell a smoker I'm so glad I quit. And when I see a smokers drawn, pale, sad face I'm glad I quit.
2010-12-31 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Anyone have fun plans for tonight?
For us, low key evening with some good friends. 
Although I'm so used to going to bed at 9 that I'm going to have to take a nap if I want to stay up to midnight.

Edited by suzimmer 2010-12-31 11:18 AM
2010-12-31 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3269769

User image

New user
Myrtle Beach
suzimmer - 2010-12-31 12:16 PM Anyone have fun plans for tonight?
For us, low key evening with some good friends. 
Although I'm so used to going to bed at 9 that I'm going to have to take a nap if I want to stay up to midnight.

I'll be lucky to see midnight, HAHA!  The 4 year old kept me up all night, then the alarm went off at 5:00 am for a group run. I'm EXHAUSTED Yell

But tomorrow morning is the local annual prediction run...regsitration fee is 10 cans of food for the local foodbank.  When you register you have to predict your 5k finishing time.  NO watches, GPS, cell phones, ipods, etc etc...anything that would clue you in to your pace allowed.  Those who finish closest to their predicted time, regardless of speed, win!  It's really fun, and I totally suck at predicting my time!   My approach for this year is to bring my kids and run with the jogstroller.  Since I'm not racing, and I know I hold a consistant 9:30 with that beast , I think I may get close...hahaha
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's Mentor Group 2011 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 106