BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2011-01-19 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3309947

User image

Master
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED
LostSheep - 2011-01-19 7:26 PM I bike infront of the TV too, and it's my opportunity to watch the movies in the netflix queue that the wife doesn't care for.

Yet, I don't do it.

Mon - swim, Tues - run, Wed - ride, Thurs - run, Fri - Swim, Sat - Run, Sun - Ride. It should go that way, yet I manage to talk myself out of the rides or come up with what I think are good excuses.

Man I'm a bum! 

I do this.  My brain is either "on" something or not.  Right now I'm on running.  I can't force myself to get on the trainer and I can hardly find the pool.  As soon as Mercedes is over my "on" will certainly change.

Screw it - I'm gonna post a time at Mercedes.  Right now everything else will wait until after that.

2011-01-20 12:25 AM
in reply to: #3256548

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
S:  
3400.00 Yd
B: 
35.48 Mi
R:  
15.86 Mi
Str:  
1h 20m

Did a track workout last night.  Spent the night getting chicked, with one of them being my wife
2011-01-20 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3310146

User image

Expert
Alabama
sand101 - 2011-01-19 9:14 PM
LostSheep - 2011-01-19 7:26 PM I bike infront of the TV too, and it's my opportunity to watch the movies in the netflix queue that the wife doesn't care for.

Yet, I don't do it.

Mon - swim, Tues - run, Wed - ride, Thurs - run, Fri - Swim, Sat - Run, Sun - Ride. It should go that way, yet I manage to talk myself out of the rides or come up with what I think are good excuses.

Man I'm a bum! 

I do this.  My brain is either "on" something or not.  Right now I'm on running.  I can't force myself to get on the trainer and I can hardly find the pool.  As soon as Mercedes is over my "on" will certainly change.

Screw it - I'm gonna post a time at Mercedes.  Right now everything else will wait until after that.

That about sums it up.  Same here.
2011-01-20 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3310318

User image

Regular
Akron, OH
Did a track workout last night.  Spent the night getting chicked, with one of them being my wife
Nothing wrong with that!  I bet it gives you more motivation. 

My husband is doing more running than I am right now, so he's probably going to be faster than me once I up my running mileage. 
2011-01-20 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3309163

User image

Champion
the colony texas
GotTorque? - 2011-01-19 12:48 PM
Gaarryy - 2011-01-19 11:40 AM Now since I got my old road bike out and put it on my rollers I'm getting better, But when I train at home I'm thinking of all the other things that I also need to do.  I can literally see where I need to put touch up paint, a spot on the carpet I should shampoo, that pile of dirty laundry. etc..  So it's tougher for me mentally to do.   
Are you a 'bike in front of the TV' sort of person?  It seems to help me if I have a couple episodes of Top Gear (or Glee!) that I want to watch or a movie I want to see.  I make a deal with myself that I'll watch them if I'm on the bike. 

I"m lucky that I have a larger TV since I can't be right in front of it.   I use rollers it's better for me to have them on the kitchen floor instead of carpet and there is a perfect spot for me so I have a wall on one side and the dishwasher on the other in case I need balence.   the only drawback is that it's an old tv 12+yrs, so if you are at an angle it's not the best picture.  I keep waiting for it to stop working so I can get a new one 
2011-01-20 10:29 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
The long run vs. the short runs...

I'm noticing something in my runs and thought I'd get some input.

I'm using the FIRST (Furman Institute...) training plans for the half marathon coming up in Feb. It has 1 speed, 1 tempo, and 1 long run per week. Nothing fancy, just business.

I can hit the speed and tempo runs pretty well. See this week's logs. Tues - nailed it. Today - nailed it. I feel great on these and usually finish knowing I could give it "a little more", so I'm not totally wiped.

However, the long runs on the weekends (10+) seem like torture. I fall apart. I feel great going into mile 7-8, and then things just start falling apart. I get tired, sore, ready to be done, hot, cold, too fast, too slow, whatever, and it just sucks the life out of me. Case in point - last Sat's 14mi. It just about killed me (I did start too fast).

What's the secret?
What gets YOU through the long run?
Where's your cutoff for "i can do that tomorrow no problem vs. i need to psyche myself up for that distance"?

I'm working on it though...

2011-01-20 12:31 PM
in reply to: #3310711

User image

Master
Gaarryy - 2011-01-20 8:54 AM
GotTorque? - 2011-01-19 12:48 PM
Gaarryy - 2011-01-19 11:40 AM Now since I got my old road bike out and put it on my rollers I'm getting better, But when I train at home I'm thinking of all the other things that I also need to do.  I can literally see where I need to put touch up paint, a spot on the carpet I should shampoo, that pile of dirty laundry. etc..  So it's tougher for me mentally to do.   
Are you a 'bike in front of the TV' sort of person?  It seems to help me if I have a couple episodes of Top Gear (or Glee!) that I want to watch or a movie I want to see.  I make a deal with myself that I'll watch them if I'm on the bike. 

I"m lucky that I have a larger TV since I can't be right in front of it.   I use rollers it's better for me to have them on the kitchen floor instead of carpet and there is a perfect spot for me so I have a wall on one side and the dishwasher on the other in case I need balence.   the only drawback is that it's an old tv 12+yrs, so if you are at an angle it's not the best picture.  I keep waiting for it to stop working so I can get a new one 

Heck, I have a 108" screen directly in front of me on the trainer and I *still* can't force myself to get down there right now.  Hoping to get down there tonight as tomorrow is an off (i.e. swim) day.
2011-01-20 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3311016

User image

Master
LostSheep - 2011-01-20 10:29 AM The long run vs. the short runs...

I'm using the FIRST (Furman Institute...) training plans for the half marathon coming up in Feb. It has 1 speed, 1 tempo, and 1 long run per week. Nothing fancy, just business.

I can hit the speed and tempo runs pretty well. See this week's logs. Tues - nailed it. Today - nailed it. I feel great on these and usually finish knowing I could give it "a little more", so I'm not totally wiped.

However, the long runs on the weekends (10+) seem like torture. I fall apart. I feel great going into mile 7-8, and then things just start falling apart. I get tired, sore, ready to be done, hot, cold, too fast, too slow, whatever, and it just sucks the life out of me. Case in point - last Sat's 14mi. It just about killed me (I did start too fast).

What's the secret?
Where's your cutoff for "i can do that tomorrow no problem vs. i need to psyche myself up for that distance"?

The secret is to start at 100 mile weeks and drop down to the 25-35 that we are doing.  Then it is pretty easy.

Getting through a long run?  Music.  Breaking up the run into segments or loops or something - "just 3 segments left" instead of the 8 miles left seems to help me.

My cutoff right now for "no problem" is 8 miles.  No sweat.  10 miles I wouldn't choke at and could do.  12 miles?  Ugh - that is a long a$$ run.
2011-01-20 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3311404

User image

Master
North Alabama
sand101 - 2011-01-20 12:31 PM Heck, I have a 108" screen directly in front of me ....

Sounds like you just invited everyone over for the super bowl! We'll put the trainers on and ride during the game...
2011-01-20 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3311016

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
LostSheep - 2011-01-20 11:29 AM The long run vs. the short runs...

What's the secret?

My wife's guilt trips get me going!  Seriously, I break the run up in segments, 3rd or 4ths and will look to neg split the segments.  I'll also take a break if I need to, sometimes the run is just not there and that helps.  If I have been running with music a lot, I'll skip the music.  Same for time of day, I have better runs with evening runs vs AM runs.

Is this your first time doing FIRST (3x/week) training? I haven't tried it yet and not sure I could as my lower legs don't like too much stress from speed/tempo runs, but the time off seems like it would be beneficial.

2011-01-20 1:52 PM
in reply to: #3311449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
sand101 - 2011-01-20 1:44 PM
LostSheep - 2011-01-20 10:29 AM The long run vs. the short runs...

What's the secret?

The secret is to start at 100 mile weeks and drop down to the 25-35 that we are doing.  Then it is pretty easy.

Getting through a long run?  Music.  Breaking up the run into segments or loops or something - "just 3 segments left" instead of the 8 miles left seems to help me.

My cutoff right now for "no problem" is 8 miles.  No sweat.  10 miles I wouldn't choke at and could do.  12 miles?  Ugh - that is a long a$$ run.

I can't stand running loops.  It's too easy for me to cut out early.  If I do one or two long loops or an out and back I'm mentally committed to making it back.  I agree that 14 miles is a long damn run.  I've gotten lazy recently so I'm hoping that 8 miles is still "easy" (we'll find out this weekend).  Last summer and fall I got to the point that 10 miles was really easy by doing 8-10 miles every weekend and never trying to do more than that.  After a while I felt like I could go out and knock out 10 miles then get on with the rest of the day and feel fresh again the next day.  I remember reading or hearing that you're only as fit as the workouts you can recover from.  If you're trying to build fitness (ie doing longer runs each week) you're going to feel beat up.  I just don't see any way around it.

Do you stretch after your workouts?  I've found that that helps me recover better sometimes.  I also read (in Racing Weight) that eating protein after particularly hard workouts can help you recover.  The idea is that your body needs to repair itself and if you don't provide something to do so your body will take it from somewhere which can slow recover.  Or at least that's what the book said.

2011-01-20 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3311525

User image

Master
North Alabama
Donto - 2011-01-20 1:03 PM...
Is this your first time doing FIRST (3x/week) training? I haven't tried it yet and not sure I could as my lower legs don't like too much stress from speed/tempo runs, but the time off seems like it would be beneficial.

Second time with FIRST. I used it for a 10k a year or so ago and liked it, so I'm using it now for the upcoming half marathon (hoping to still race it).

I like it. The time off lets me heal up and I usually feel fresh and good.
2011-01-20 3:05 PM
in reply to: #3311505

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
LostSheep - 2011-01-20 1:00 PM
sand101 - 2011-01-20 12:31 PM Heck, I have a 108" screen directly in front of me ....

Sounds like you just invited everyone over for the super bowl! We'll put the trainers on and ride during the game...

I need to move to the BHAM area!
2011-01-20 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3310318

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
croyston - 2011-01-20 12:25 AM
S:  
3400.00 Yd
B: 
35.48 Mi
R:  
15.86 Mi
Str:  
1h 20m

Pace Booty!  Fast Chicks are awesome! 

Yes my wife knows that this process goes on while I race.
2011-01-20 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3311651

User image

Master
cornfed - 2011-01-20 1:52 PM

Do you stretch after your workouts?  I've found that that helps me recover better sometimes.  I also read (in Racing Weight) that eating protein after particularly hard workouts can help you recover.  The idea is that your body needs to repair itself and if you don't provide something to do so your body will take it from somewhere which can slow recover.  Or at least that's what the book said.

I'm awful about stretching.  I should do it more, but it just never gets into my head to do it.  After a long run I will try to drink some cold milk (=protein) and I am now a huge believer in ice baths.  Or at least baths as cold as my coldest tap water.  I suffer through 10 minutes of that and my muscle soreness goes *way* down the next day compared to not doing anything. 

Believe it or not projectors and screens are quite inexpensive these days.  Football rules on the screen.  No way the cooling in that room could keep up with three guys huffing away on a trainer, though.  It would get mighty hot mighty quick.
2011-01-20 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3312125

User image

Expert
Raleigh
sand101 - 2011-01-20 5:09 PM

I'm awful about stretching.  I should do it more, but it just never gets into my head to do it.  After a long run I will try to drink some cold milk (=protein) and I am now a huge believer in ice baths.  Or at least baths as cold as my coldest tap water.  I suffer through 10 minutes of that and my muscle soreness goes *way* down the next day compared to not doing anything. 

Believe it or not projectors and screens are quite inexpensive these days.  Football rules on the screen.  No way the cooling in that room could keep up with three guys huffing away on a trainer, though.  It would get mighty hot mighty quick.
OK, so we drink beer and watch the game instead!

2011-01-21 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3312287

User image

Expert
Alabama
titeloops - 2011-01-20 6:55 PM
sand101 - 2011-01-20 5:09 PM

OK, so we drink beer and watch the game instead!

This sounds much better... 

Anyway, stretching always helps.  My legs feel better the more I stretch.  Especially given my hamstring issues, I need to incorporate much more of it, but I don't seem to take the time to do it.

I finally bought Don Fink's Be Iron Fit book.  It's really nothing earth shattering from what  you read on BT, but it does stress time management and training by time.  I guess I should start scheduling everythng on my calendar, including the streching, strength and recovery times.

Sand, do you just use cold tap water?  or do you actually add ice?  Hard to always have ice on hand for the ice bath.
2011-01-21 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3312919

User image

Master
North Alabama
pilotzs - 2011-01-21 8:00 AM ...
Sand, do you just use cold tap water?  or do you actually add ice?  Hard to always have ice on hand for the ice bath.

I'm not SANDS, but I use cold tap water. I'm too cheap to fix my ice maker so the cold tap water works. Occasionally, I'll stop by the gas station and buy a bag of ice, but that's not often...
2011-01-21 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3312287

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
The just opened up a new sprint near me.  It's the weekend before an OLY that I'm already signed up for.  What do you think?  Will this be a good tune or or screw me up for my race the following weekend?
2011-01-21 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3313264

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2011-01-21 10:05 AM The just opened up a new sprint near me.  It's the weekend before an OLY that I'm already signed up for.  What do you think?  Will this be a good tune or or screw me up for my race the following weekend?

I think it will be a good tune up?
2011-01-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3313330

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
BamaDC - 2011-01-21 11:38 AM
cornfed - 2011-01-21 10:05 AM The just opened up a new sprint near me.  It's the weekend before an OLY that I'm already signed up for.  What do you think?  Will this be a good tune or or screw me up for my race the following weekend?

I'm following a thread about it in the MD forum.  There is a mixture of opinions on the course.  I'll let you know how things pan out and if I sign up.

2011-01-21 11:13 AM
in reply to: #3313364

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2011-01-21 10:51 AM
BamaDC - 2011-01-21 11:38 AM

I'm following a thread about it in the MD forum.  There is a mixture of opinions on the course.  I'll let you know how things pan out and if I sign up.

What are the distances?

I hope to race every weekend this August.

Edited by BamaDC 2011-01-21 11:14 AM
2011-01-21 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
So what happened to this group doing the cycling program? Am I the only one doing it? Gotta tell ya, its kicking my , but it is GOOD. I test again next week, and I know I'm gonna see a nice increase in CP through the 1st 4 weeks.

Another topic for you fish (Sands) I've finally founf the pool again, and I'm working on improving my catch and pull. This means i have to stop pushing down from my shoulder, and keep my elbows high. I know I'm doing it, I see almost every swimmer at the pool doing it. It's very common. I'm making the corrections, but I've slowed down dramatically. For lack of a better analogy, it feels like I'm in the small chainring spinning down a hill. Does this make since? Any suggestions? I know this will make me a better swimmer in the long run, but it's like I'm reconstructing my stroke.
2011-01-21 12:53 PM
in reply to: #3313720

User image

Master
North Alabama
titeloops - 2011-01-21 12:50 PM ...Another topic for you fish (Sands) I've finally founf the pool again, and I'm working on improving my catch and pull. This means i have to stop pushing down from my shoulder, and keep my elbows high. I know I'm doing it, I see almost every swimmer at the pool doing it. It's very common. I'm making the corrections, but I've slowed down dramatically. For lack of a better analogy, it feels like I'm in the small chainring spinning down a hill. Does this make since? Any suggestions? I know this will make me a better swimmer in the long run, but it's like I'm reconstructing my stroke.

So you've gone to a high elbow, yet you feel like you're going slower?

Check your head position. You could be cheating looking more forward, laxing your pull. You won't get the power b/c most of it's going downwards and not backwards.

If that doesn't work, ask me about the tennis ball and that'll fix it!
2011-01-21 12:54 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
One more thing, any way you can get us a video?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Mentor Group v3.0 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37