BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-01-30 6:50 AM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
Hope you feel better for your race and good luck!

Hubby came through on his promise and we came home with a new 2010 Felt B16 yesterday. YIPPEE!!! Took it out for a ride when we got home. Wow, very nice. What a difference from my road bike. Really, I was shocked. The seat was terribly painful though so I need to swap that out. Going to put my road bike seat on it for now until I can get back to the shop (it's 1 & 1/2 hours away). Now I'm really excited to start this race season!

2011-01-30 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3329126

User image

New user
trigal38 - 2011-01-29 7:50 PM Hope you feel better for your race and good luck!

Hubby came through on his promise and we came home with a new 2010 Felt B16 yesterday. YIPPEE!!! Took it out for a ride when we got home. Wow, very nice. What a difference from my road bike. Really, I was shocked. The seat was terribly painful though so I need to swap that out. Going to put my road bike seat on it for now until I can get back to the shop (it's 1 & 1/2 hours away). Now I'm really excited to start this race season!

Congrats on the new bike! I too didn't like the feel of the felt seat. I am guessing you have been riding a road bike for your past events. If you don't mind can you post up any gains you have felt/measured in switching to a tri bike if possible?

nvalaitis: What kind of distance are you going for? 

Did about 8 hours of some pretty aggressive snowboarding yesterday. I am pretty beat up now. I think that is mainly from the strength training that I did the day before. Thought I took it on the really light side, but i guess all the off time took a toll. Feeling is great though and I am about to take a nice long slow swim focusing on my form. The Masters swimming session is about to start up again and I am very excited for that as well. Bike fit Tuesday morning for both road and tri fit! I am trying to hold off on my new pair of shoes to see these new saucony fastwitch 5's, but its gonna be a gamble since I will have to order online with never trying them. 

Does everyone here take whey protein? I have a container of ON gold standard whey that I have stopped taking because I don't think I have seen any benefits. I'm thinking I should just take it since its probably healthy for you as well. I also take the GNC Mega Men Sport supplement as well as Fish oil every morning. 

2011-01-30 10:33 AM

Regular
Hey everyone! Sorry it's been a while since I've posted, but between school, being a RA, social life, and training I've been a little busy.  My training has been going really well, and I'll be taking my first day off from training tomorrow! I feel guilty taking a day off, but I know I need to listen to my body, especially after my long run today.  I start an actual training program on the first of february, and I believe I'll be racing on the 20th in a 40K time trial. 

I got to take my bike on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG IT. WAS. AWESOME!!!! I really could ride that damn thing all day everyday, lol... It was a little scary for parts of the ride... I got it up to 42mph downhill and I was in the drops. Wow! 

Hope everyone is staying healthy, and getting some great training in!
2011-01-30 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3326836

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
jeffnboise - 2011-01-28 11:40 AM Sorry I've been MIA-Life has a way of messing up my schedule.

Step-Dad is having some significant medical issues; cardiac, cancer, blood pressure.  I'm hopeful, but...

Injuries at work have put me on 12 hr shifts M-F, that's a 60 hour work week, for the next several weeks.   I like the $$$, but I'm no spring chicken anymore-I get tired. 
Hope everyone is well and have a nice weekend.

Jeff, hope everything works out with your stepdad.

I used to pull some nuts shifts when I worked designing for the local newspaper... it was awesome for $ but I was wrecked all the time! Try to get some power naps when you can.
2011-01-30 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3327145

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
cpsdad - 2011-01-28 1:39 PM Been MIA for a week also. Sometimes owning my own a buisness is the worst. Plan on getting back training tonight, hope everyones training is going great.

Tons of sympathy for you. I run the family business AND I'm trying to get myself set back up in painting... pulled 2 all nighters in a row this weekend trying to catch the deadlines. Silly life getting in the way of training!
2011-01-30 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3327932

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
wendy9447 - 2011-01-28 9:14 PM Test rode some bikes tonight.....Since the last time I purchased a bike was in the 70s, it's quite mind boggling.  At the moment I'm looknig at an Orbea Onix Dama or a Specialized Ruby Comp....Does anyone have an opinion - or suggestion for what else I should go ride?  As you know I'm new at this, so I want a road bike, not a tri bike for now...would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

The question might be do you want a more "comfortable" road bike or more of a racer? Most companies supply both (Specialized for example has the Roubaix for 'touring' and the Tarmac for 'racing.') A lot of companies also have the 'female specific' bikes, sadly I'm not 100% sure on them. Staying with the "Big" companies, I think they are mainly comparable at a similar price point. The only big suggestions I have is to make sure you get shimano 105 (or SRAM rival, Campy Athena) or above in the drivetrain. You can certainly make do with less, but 105 is where you start getting into very reliable shifting/braking/performance.

2011-01-30 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3329126

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
trigal38 - 2011-01-30 7:50 AM

Hubby came through on his promise and we came home with a new 2010 Felt B16 yesterday. YIPPEE!!!

Woohoo! New members to the family are always welcome! Congratulations on a VERY nice ride.
2011-01-31 6:35 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

So sad.  It was just below 60 this weekend, and now we are not supposed to see temps above 0 for the next few days.  What a changes.  I was supposed to do a 4 mile run with Intervals tomorrow, but if the temp is that cold, forget it. 

Anyone have any good treadmill workouts with intervals?  On a treadmill, how fast do you go for intervals? And how much do you slow down between intervals?  It's so much easier when you go by RPE outside.

2011-01-31 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3329850

User image

Bronze member
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-30 7:47 PM
trigal38 - 2011-01-30 7:50 AM

Hubby came through on his promise and we came home with a new 2010 Felt B16 yesterday. YIPPEE!!!

Woohoo! New members to the family are always welcome! Congratulations on a VERY nice ride.

Thanks! Now I need to learn how to ride it. I had a little trouble keeping a straight line yesterday when I was riding into the wind. It just feels very loose compared to my road bike. My biceps were getting fatigued. I kind of felt like I was fighting the bike a little if that makes sense. When I turned around and had the wind at my back there was no issue. So, I'm wondering if it just takes time and practice or if I need my fit adjusted a little? My elbow pads on the aero bars of my road bike had 3 different placements for adjusting them in or out. I had them in the middle so my elbows were not so close together. I kind of felt like that might make me a little more comfortable but then probably less aero right? Of course, I'm not saving any time swerving all over the road either LOL!
Really it's amazing how different the bike feels. It's like when I switched from the hybrid to the road bike. Crazy stuff, surprised myself. You can't feel the impact on the trainer in the bike shop. You can on the road!
2011-01-31 9:39 AM

User image

South Florida
Hey Gang! Happy Monday! Yesterdays race went extreamly well. I ended up with a PR. Official time was 2:06:40. I'll take it considering, i was under the weather, and run volume was very very low. Weather was perfect! I'd post a picture, but i dont want anyone to go into a deep depression. I do however have pain on the top of my foot, as i usally do after 11+miles. Not sure if its my shoes are too tight, or i have a bone spur. So i'm going to the foot doctor today to give me a full diagnosis of my foot. I've been putting it off for to long. I need to get it checked out.

Congrats on the B16. Killer Bike! Now ride that thing like you stole it!
2011-01-31 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3330602

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nvalaitis - 2011-01-31 10:39 AM Hey Gang! Happy Monday! Yesterdays race went extreamly well. I ended up with a PR. Official time was 2:06:40. I'll take it considering, i was under the weather, and run volume was very very low. Weather was perfect! I'd post a picture, but i dont want anyone to go into a deep depression. I do however have pain on the top of my foot, as i usally do after 11+miles. Not sure if its my shoes are too tight, or i have a bone spur. So i'm going to the foot doctor today to give me a full diagnosis of my foot. I've been putting it off for to long. I need to get it checked out.

Excellent Job! A PR is always welcome, and one while you aren't feeling 100% means training has been going great!

Take care of the foot, it's *probably* a lace to tight in one spot (at least in my own experience that is what it has been) Hope the report comes back well.

2011-01-31 10:25 AM

User image

South Florida
Here's a photo of my brother and I, post race.

(ING 2011.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
ING 2011.jpg (87KB - 3 downloads)
2011-01-31 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3330742

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Is that the Miami ING Miami? I have a friend who did that, too! Early start to the day, if you ask me, race starting at 6! lol

Great to see you still smiling after the race! 
2011-01-31 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3330747

User image

South Florida
Yeah, The raced started at 6:18. Bit early for me, but ther shut down traffic going into South Beach. So I'm figuring thats why they start it so early. By time we got to south beach, the sun was just about to come up and it was such an amazing view. I didn't have anything to take a photo, but take my word, It's beautiful. It should definitely be on the "to-do" list.
2011-01-31 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I have been asked by a couple of people to post up my food log. Since I don't do much variation from day to day I had let it slack/slide, but, I figured posting mine from Today would at least give some insight or something to read if you are bored. I literally eat the same thing every day, with the exception of dinner, where you can sometimes swap out tuna for chicken breast and rice for rice noodles / baked sweet potato. On the weekends, one dinner meal is usually sashimi tuna/salmon and some other sushi rolls.

149-155 lbs 5'9"-5'10" averaging about 8-11 hours a week training right now.

Friday
Breakfast: 2 Large Eggs (whole) 1 Cup Oats (Old Fashioned) 1 Cup 2% Milk 1 Large Banana
Totals: 693kcal, 20g fat, 94g Carbs, 37g protein

Snack1: Apple, 1oz peanuts
Totals: 247kcal, 14g fat, 25g carbs, 7g protein

Lunch: Oikos Greek Yogurt (plain), 1oz Walnuts, 2tblspoons Raw organic Honey. (Mixed)
Totals: 443kcal, 18g fat, 47g Carbs, 26g Protein

Snack2: Popcorn (I make my own, no butter), 1oz peanuts
Totals: 194kcal, 15g fat, 29g carbs, 11g protein

Lunch2/snack3: "Trail Mix" (Organic Whole O's - gluten free, Craisens, Mixed Nuts)
Totals: 418kcal, 18g fat, 66g carbs, 7g protein

Dinner: 7-8oz Yellowfin Tuna, 1 cup Rice (I don't pay much mind to whether it's white or brown...not really much difference between them)
Totals: 449kcal, 2g fat, 44g carbs, 58g protein

After a tough run / bike I also have a glass of 2% milk mixed with Nestle chocolate syrup.

2011-01-31 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3330602

User image

Bronze member
nvalaitis - 2011-01-31 9:39 AM Hey Gang! Happy Monday! Yesterdays race went extreamly well. I ended up with a PR. Official time was 2:06:40. I'll take it considering, i was under the weather, and run volume was very very low. Weather was perfect! I'd post a picture, but i dont want anyone to go into a deep depression. I do however have pain on the top of my foot, as i usally do after 11+miles. Not sure if its my shoes are too tight, or i have a bone spur. So i'm going to the foot doctor today to give me a full diagnosis of my foot. I've been putting it off for to long. I need to get it checked out.

Awesome run and great picture too! Hope you find some relief for your foot.

2011-01-31 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Hertford,Hertfordshire
congrats on the half marathon, great effort especially at that time of the morning. I thought some of the tri's starting at 7 was early enough.

I work in the motor industry and was visiting a supplier the other day and we got talking about bikes and riding. He told me he did Ventoux and the Alps a couple of years back. We exchanged what bikes we had and i talked about doing tri's etc and what equipment we ideally still needed. I mentioned I only really was looking for a set or tri bars at some point.

he made an excuse to leave meeting and 5 minutes later walked in with a set that was in the boot of his car not being used.

I put them on my Trek this weekend and went out with my brother. WOW i love them, great on the flat and downhill's but even on the start of uphills they give you an advantage.

looking forward to doing a regular ride to see if they make a difference in the time
hope everyone had a good weekend and got some training in
2011-01-31 5:57 PM

User image

New user
Get to pick up my bike tomorrow and have it fit for tri and road positions! Profile designs carbon FF seat post also came in today. New tri shoes tomorrow and possibly a tri seat. Only iffy thing is the potential for ice and snow. It sucks having a sports car and being from California with half tread summer tires on :/. 

Another light day. Did crossfit with my old crossfit partner. He was just recently given the ok to work out again after resting his fractured foot (had a contest of climbing up a vertical steel girder and he jumped off way too high). Workout was on the very light side as his cardio has dropped significantly.

I did notice it took me a while again to get fully warmed up. Same thing yesterday in the pool struggled for about 20 minutes trying to find the groove. After that it was about 40 mins of straight swimming. Has anyone ever used those swimming paddles that correct your form in some sort of way? 

2011-01-31 6:41 PM

User image

South Florida

Went to the foot doctor today and got good news. No bone spur, no irregular foot problems. Only thing is that my left leg isa little bit shorter than right. No big deal. He also said I pronate more so on my right foot and twist my right foot when pushing off. Again. Nothing crazy, just little stuff. So he suggested i move my laces so they dont cross over the pressure point on the top of my foot. He wants me to come back in 2 weeks to see how everything feels. He sugested custom orthotics, but i doubt my feet are that bad that I need them. But we'll see.

2011-02-01 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3331879

User image

Bronze member
nvalaitis - 2011-01-31 6:41 PM

Went to the foot doctor today and got good news. No bone spur, no irregular foot problems. Only thing is that my left leg isa little bit shorter than right. No big deal. He also said I pronate more so on my right foot and twist my right foot when pushing off. Again. Nothing crazy, just little stuff. So he suggested i move my laces so they dont cross over the pressure point on the top of my foot. He wants me to come back in 2 weeks to see how everything feels. He sugested custom orthotics, but i doubt my feet are that bad that I need them. But we'll see.

Great news about your foot!

I'm obsessing about the weather here. We are expected to get lots of ice, travel is not recommended, no swim for me today. I hate it when my schedule is messed up. Grrrr, stupid weather.
2011-02-01 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3332500

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

trigal38 - 2011-02-01 5:44 AM
Great news about your foot!

I'm obsessing about the weather here. We are expected to get lots of ice, travel is not recommended, no swim for me today. I hate it when my schedule is messed up. Grrrr, stupid weather.

I know the feeling.  Supposed to do an outside run with intervals.  Not happening when the high is -2.

And my run Thursday is most likely happening on a treadmill as well.  Unless I go to the gym and run in circles on the track.  Actually the better option.  I'm also thinking swimming when it is this cold is not the best idea.

2011-02-01 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3331879

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nvalaitis - 2011-01-31 7:41 PM

Excellent News! Very glad to hear it's nothing big.
2011-02-01 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3331827

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Andr3w - 2011-01-31 6:57 PM Get to pick up my bike tomorrow and have it fit for tri and road positions! Profile designs carbon FF seat post also came in today. New tri shoes tomorrow and possibly a tri seat. Only iffy thing is the potential for ice and snow. It sucks having a sports car and being from California with half tread summer tires on :/. 

Yay! New toys!!

Might I suggest the Specialized Tri Vent shoes... they are wicked!
2011-02-01 12:59 PM

User image

New user
Finally have my bike! The road bike fit was fairly quick, but the tri fit took a while. Ended up flipping the over the stem which we figured would need to be flipped back over for a road bike position. Ended up being great for both tri and road bike. Also forgot my clipless pedals so i ended up purchasing shimano 105 pedals along with shimano tr31 shoes. 

While riding on the trainer I let him know about the annoyance i was having with my left leg and he checked my pronation again with the laser machine and set me up the Aline insoles with the proper corrections. Hopped on the bike and immediately felt a difference in pedaling as well as a more power out of the left leg.

All in all was in the budget and feel everything was well worth the money. Now to go out and run, bike and swim! 

(2011-02-01 13.46.16.jpg)

(2011-02-01 11.36.55.jpg)

(2011-02-01 13.46.16 (1).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
2011-02-01 13.46.16.jpg (98KB - 6 downloads)
2011-02-01 11.36.55.jpg (99KB - 7 downloads)
2011-02-01 13.46.16 (1).jpg (98KB - 7 downloads)
2011-02-01 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
That's exciting, Andrew! I got my tri bike fit back in October, but I got a new Adamo saddle and am going to be working on my flexibility for the next couple of months, so I will get another one done before the beginning of the season. It makes such a big difference when people know what they're doing! Very exciting about all that!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22