BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-02-24 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3367803

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
peteacher - 2011-02-22 7:54 PM

Hey there,
  So I am attempting my first sprint tri this year.  I have very limited training just your basic exercise/working out.  I have been at the workouts with the intention to work towards the ST since November and things are going fairly well.  I am feeling really good about most stuff but here's today's question;  I am going to begin hitting the bike a little more now but it has to be indoors right now (yeah, I live in Wisconsin :-)).  I have access to a variety of bike styles (upright or recumbent) and didn't know if there was reason to discern between styles or is it just a matter of getting on anything right now? 
  Any help is good help

TIA-
Marnie

Hi Marnie!

What kind of bike will you be riding for your triathlon? If possible, the indoor bike you train on should match the geometry of the bike you'll race on as closely as possible. IOW, when you sit on the indoor bike, your body position should be as close as you can get it to what your body position on your outdoor bike is. Generally the "spinner" type bikes have a greater range of adjustability to get closer to the position you'll be in on your own bike. If you don't have access to spinner type bikes, an upright exercise bike would be better than a recumbent. Good luck, and keep up the good work!

2011-02-24 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3365260

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go!
squirt - 2011-02-21 12:52 PM

Hey all!  Looks like some good, consistent training shaping up for several of our group.  Just for the record, you HIM and IM folks are deranged (I mean that in a good way ). 

Looking like my first tri of the season will be a sprint on 4/10 instead of the earlier one my friend had her eye on.  I'm also starting to think about an OLY.  Since my (slow but sure) running volume is already there for Cowtown 1/2 this Sunday, and I'm swimming 1600 yards easily (and again, slowly) as recovery from running, I would just need to add in the bilke, give open water swimming a try, and put it all together.  Ha, that's a big "just"!  There is an OLY nearby on 5/15.   Hubby & I are off for 2 weeks to Hawaii in late May/early June.  That will not likely be prime training time, so I would kind of like to make a push for something before that.  Also hate to drop my running volume down too much.  Just looking to finish, and stay motivated on the fitness journey.  Thoughts from you more experienced folks on whether that is too soon given where I am?  Be honest...what's left of my middle aged ego can take it.

Good luck on your half-mary this weekend! Let us know how it goes!!!
2011-02-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3368274

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
squirt - 2011-02-23 9:09 AM

Hi Marnie, just wanted to say good going on your training!  I'm a total bike novice, but others seem to be into spinning classes, so I would guess that if you can get on a spin bikes it would be good.  I'm sure others will chime in who actually know what they are talking about Smile.

Half marathon coming up on Sunday, then I'll have to figure out how to train next.  Really want to keep the running volume up, swimming is at least comfortable, so need to add in the biking piece...including probably buying a bike to replace my mtn bike.  Glad there are some bike savvy folks here, get ready for lots of questions.  

I would love to hear your thoughts on where to begin on bike shopping.  I can join a group (slow) ride on my mtn bike that is out of a local bike shop.  Would that be a good way to start learning?  I really don't want to spent too much $$'s on the bike, and don't mind used....if I just knew what to look for.  Also have a former co-worker who is big into biking who has offered to help me shop, but he's out of work, and I would feel like I need to pay him something for his time.  Maybe worth it if he could help me go used in a smart way??

Joining a group ride would be an excellent way to start. I really enjoy riding with groups. It's a great way to build your confidence if you're new to riding on the road, and the groups I have ridden with have always been very welcoming and helpful to new cyclists. Buying a used bike is a great way to go - kind of like used cars, you can get a lot more bike for the money buying a bike that's a few years old. The trick is knowing what to look for.... Having someone who knows a bit about what to look for would definitely be helpful... You could also try visiting a few bike shops and taking test rides on a few different bikes so you get an idea of what frame sizes work for you and what you like.
2011-02-24 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3269333

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Hey gang-

Quick check in.... The family and I are headed off for a ski weekend later today. I probably won't be checking in on the mentor group thread until next Monday. Have a great weekend, and keep up the good training!!

Jenny
2011-02-24 3:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Today' 45 min tempo run, 15 ish wind chill, 20 mph wind, snowing.

Wu  9:33 (1 mile)
1. 8:57 (800's)
2. 8:16
3. 7:57
4. 7:10
5. 7:28
6: 7:45
7. 8:17
8. 8:39
9. 9:11 (cool down 1 mile)

That is roughly how you are supposed to do a tempo run right?  Wu pace and then steady build to a fastish pace (a little 10k pace) and then gradually back down to wu/cd pace?

Anyway the term a tempo run has always been a bit nebulous to me, but I think that is how it is supposed to go.  Any avid runners feel free to correct me.  I thought I would share as folks will run across the term in their training plans.  

Speak up if, strides, repeats, speedwork, hillwork, bop, mop, fop, drop, bonk, drafting, pentalties, passing, etc., are confusing you, there is a lot of vocabulary that goes with the sport.   

2011-02-25 8:09 AM

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Piriformis syndrome. Yell  Finally went to a PT to find out what was causing my aching my left hip, gluts, and hams. The first time I noticed left hip pain was in Nov during a 10K. In Jan. I ramped up my running training for my first half marathon, the pain started to show up every time I ran. Now even a mile is painful and pain is referring in my low back and even knee. 

I'll see the PT twice a week for piriformis and probably some sacral stuff because that seems to be involved.  No running for now.  I have some exercises, something called flossing and the reclining ankle over opposite knee stretch. Thank goodness I can still swim and bike as long as it doesn't flare up then.

Anyone have experience with this? What worked for you?  I'm still hoping to run the half marathon in mid April, but wonder if that's going to happen. 

Thanks, cobratodd, for the overtraining article--I think I'm guilty and now paying the price. A good caution for those just starting out and veterans alike!

Edited by ewengler 2011-02-25 8:10 AM

2011-02-25 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3371202

User image

Veteran
Baowolf - 2011-02-24 3:49 PM Today' 45 min tempo run, 15 ish wind chill, 20 mph wind, snowing.

Wu  9:33 (1 mile)
1. 8:57 (800's)
2. 8:16
3. 7:57
4. 7:10
5. 7:28
6: 7:45
7. 8:17
8. 8:39
9. 9:11 (cool down 1 mile)

That is roughly how you are supposed to do a tempo run right?  Wu pace and then steady build to a fastish pace (a little 10k pace) and then gradually back down to wu/cd pace?

Anyway the term a tempo run has always been a bit nebulous to me, but I think that is how it is supposed to go.  Any avid runners feel free to correct me.  I thought I would share as folks will run across the term in their training plans.  

Speak up if, strides, repeats, speedwork, hillwork, bop, mop, fop, drop, bonk, drafting, pentalties, passing, etc., are confusing you, there is a lot of vocabulary that goes with the sport.   

That's pretty much how I do tempo runs...  Lately, I've been doing a mile warm-up and then a mile at race pace and then keep bumping up the pace (usually I'm on the treadmill for these) and then ramp back down over the last mile or so.

You seem to have some harsh weather conditions.  Are you up in the mountains? 

I hadn't run a step all week due to a crisis at work, so last night I got in the car and drove into town and ran around downtown (where there are streetlights) at 8pm.  I've never done that before, but I was desparate to get at least some miles in!
2011-02-25 10:24 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yes I'm at about 4500 feet above sea level.  We received another 6 inches of snow lastnight which will make tomorrow's 10 mile run and Sunday's 20 mile run... interesting.  Our town has about 40 streetlights, so I would have to do mile repeats in town to run with streetlights.... on main street.  I may end up on the dreadmill this weekend and the speed mesasurement is off on the one at home making it difficult to measure distance, yay.  With a 20 mile run I imagine the distance is +/- about 4 miles.  The snow might be better...except that I wore through my yaktracks after only 2 runs 8(. 
2011-02-25 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Tacoma, Washington
You wore through your YakTraks that fast?!  I was thinking about getting some for next winter but maybe not after hearing this.
2011-02-25 3:09 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I will try to return them and see what happens, but yes not very happy with them wearing out so quickly.  Perhaps they are just designed for walking despite their advertisement.
2011-02-26 10:18 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Brrr -8 F this morning with the roads completely iced... this could be a treadmill day... ouche, not looking foward to 20 miles on the treadmill tomorrow. 

2011-02-26 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Oh my, more snow .  Cannot imagine 20 miles on the treadmill.  Ugh! 

Thanks so much for the bike advice.  I took some of it and headed to a local bike shop that I've heard good things about.  Asked for "bike 101" from the sales guy, and feel like I know at least a little more. 

Question: Would it be worth it to go new in order to get advice on the right fit?  I know there is a lot more to consider, but am I thinking correctly that is probably the most important thing at this stage for me?  I saw one that looked interesting for $650 on Craigslist and here is the info.  I'm 5 ft 3, but how the heck would I know if it was the right fit?

2008 48cm yellow/white/blue Specialized Dolce women's road bike. Suitable for a woman 5'0" to 5'4".

Very hard to find size- we had to have the Specialized dealer locate this one.

Ridden less than 200 in a year and a half (hasn't been ridden since Forth of July 2009).

Still has Specialized computer on it- will leave it on for $25. Price of $650 for the bike is FIRM.

Check out specs here http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=Specialized&Model=Dolce&Type=bike

2011-02-26 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3373598

User image

Is it a local listing?  If you have to have it shipped, there is cost in that and also cost in taking it to a bike shop to have them put it back together.  My husband researched and researched and then searched for road bikes for the two of us on craig's list and ebay and we ended up going to the local bike store instead.  I like knowing the history of the bike and also having the rapport with the bike experts.  I have a Specialized Dolce Triple and love it.  Have you been to a bike store to find out your size?  I started riding with a men's bike that was way too big and having a women's bike sized for me was a huge difference.  I liked buying new because I am not familiar with all the bike specs and I did not know if things were switched out on the used ones.  Buy a bike is like buying a vehicle isn't it?  Good luck!
2011-02-26 3:23 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Yes, it is a local listing, so I could see it and test drive it.  But even if I did, I wouldn't know if it was a good fit since I have no basis for comparison at this point.  Since it's a women's bike and appears to be for a lady my height, I thought it might be a possibility.  Like you, I like the idea of having the support/expertise of the local bike shop.  I'm also not sure if this is a good deal or not.  If I'm going to spend that much on something, I want to make sure I'll be happy with it for at least a few years.
2011-02-26 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3373695

User image

Regular
Minnesota
squirt - 2011-02-26 3:23 PM Yes, it is a local listing, so I could see it and test drive it.  But even if I did, I wouldn't know if it was a good fit since I have no basis for comparison at this point.  Since it's a women's bike and appears to be for a lady my height, I thought it might be a possibility.  Like you, I like the idea of having the support/expertise of the local bike shop.  I'm also not sure if this is a good deal or not.  If I'm going to spend that much on something, I want to make sure I'll be happy with it for at least a few years.

If you can test ride it, you can see how well it fits and how smooth it shifts, etc.  Youtube has some videos about how to fit a road bike that could help you know what to look for when you test ride.   You might also go to a local bike shop with the key specs of the Specialized bike -- from the website it says 9 speed women-specific bike, carbon/aluminum fork,  aluminum frame, components are mostly Shimano Sora with a Tiagra rear derailleur, standard wheels--and see if new road bikes with those specs are that much more expensive than the used one.  If the fit is good and the frame is good, you can always upgrade components over time if you want.  Good luck!
2011-02-27 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3373598

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
squirt - 2011-02-26 1:49 PM

Oh my, more snow .  Cannot imagine 20 miles on the treadmill.  Ugh! 

Thanks so much for the bike advice.  I took some of it and headed to a local bike shop that I've heard good things about.  Asked for "bike 101" from the sales guy, and feel like I know at least a little more. 

Question: Would it be worth it to go new in order to get advice on the right fit?  I know there is a lot more to consider, but am I thinking correctly that is probably the most important thing at this stage for me?  I saw one that looked interesting for $650 on Craigslist and here is the info.  I'm 5 ft 3, but how the heck would I know if it was the right fit?

2008 48cm yellow/white/blue Specialized Dolce women's road bike. Suitable for a woman 5'0" to 5'4".

Very hard to find size- we had to have the Specialized dealer locate this one.

Ridden less than 200 in a year and a half (hasn't been ridden since Forth of July 2009).

Still has Specialized computer on it- will leave it on for $25. Price of $650 for the bike is FIRM.

Check out specs here http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2008&Brand=Specialized&Model=Dolce&Type=bike

My 2 cents.... My guess is that that the fit for this bike would be okay for you, but if it were me, I would look for a bike with higher level components. Sure, you can switch them out in the future if you want, but that will be an added expense, and I think you can probably get a bike with better components for about the same price (maybe less) than buying this bike now, and the paying to upgrade components later. I would suggest looking for a bike with at least "105" level components. You'll have smoother shifting, and fewer headaches. My guess is that if this is a 9 speed, it has a "triple crank" (three gear rings) in the front. Triple cranks with lower level components can be a little finicky.... If you can test ride it, it might be worth trying out. If you think you might be interested in this bike, you could always go to a local bike shop that sells Specialized bikes, and let them know you are considering buying a used Dolce, and ask their advice on sizing. If you are up front with them, and let them know you will bring it to them for fitting, tuning, etc., they should be happy to help you with sizing advice. They have more to gain by making you a happy repeat customer than from selling you a bike...

2011-02-27 7:41 AM

User image

New user
For what it's worth Squirt, I just bought a used Cannondale Slice Tri-Bike off Craigslist.  I just was leary of plunking down big money on a new bike.  This is my first season and I want to make sure that I like it.  I took it to my local bike store, where I bought my wife and I new bikes last year, and they gave it the deluxe tune-up.  I picked it up yesterday and they put me on it and helped with the fit.   If the used bike fits you and your budget, then I say go for it.  When and if it comes time to sell, you'll get most of your money back, unlike a new one.  Good Luck, TJCIN
2011-02-27 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3374095

User image

Regular
Minnesota
jsnowash - 2011-02-27 7:35 AM
squirt - 2011-02-26 1:49 PM

My 2 cents.... My guess is that that the fit for this bike would be okay for you, but if it were me, I would look for a bike with higher level components. Sure, you can switch them out in the future if you want, but that will be an added expense, and I think you can probably get a bike with better components for about the same price (maybe less) than buying this bike now, and the paying to upgrade components later. I would suggest looking for a bike with at least "105" level components. You'll have smoother shifting, and fewer headaches. My guess is that if this is a 9 speed, it has a "triple crank" (three gear rings) in the front. Triple cranks with lower level components can be a little finicky.... If you can test ride it, it might be worth trying out. If you think you might be interested in this bike, you could always go to a local bike shop that sells Specialized bikes, and let them know you are considering buying a used Dolce, and ask their advice on sizing. If you are up front with them, and let them know you will bring it to them for fitting, tuning, etc., they should be happy to help you with sizing advice. They have more to gain by making you a happy repeat customer than from selling you a bike...

Squirt-- I am glad Jenny said it--I would also go for higher end components too if you can afford it. If you went to the bike shop and looked at new bikes with at least 105s (a step up from Sora and Tiagra) you may find a bike that isn't so much more expensive. You might also find a last year's model that the bike store discounts to make way for the 2011s. Biking is the most expensive part of triathlon, but buying the best you can afford will be a good investment in both the short and long term. 

My experience is with a 5 year-old Lemond Versailles, a mostly carbon road bike with 105 shifters on the front and ultegra (better than 105) in the rear. I shift the rear much more often (it's pretty flat terrain in MN) and ultegra shifts beautifully and smoothly.  The front is noticably harder to shift, but OK.  The point being that there really is a noticable difference as you go up the scale in components. My bike was a "last year's model" that my boyfriend (a gear-head) noticed at the bike shop and said it was a steal. I was a total newbie to bikes and I gasped at the price ($999 when I was thinking $500 would be reasonable).  I could afford it at the time, but it seemed like so much money!  But I trusted his advice.  Five years later I know it was the smart choice.  The bike is a joy to ride and I've put about 1000 miles on it each summer since I got it.  It continues to serve me well and it hasn't cost me any more than a tune-up once or twice a year, and the new seat post and clip on aerobars that I put on last year--small potatoes. For what it's worth...
2011-02-27 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Thanks so much for the great advice!  You don't know how much I appreciate it.  Having unbiased opinions from folks who know is awesome!  After reading your comments, I am leaning towards not buying this bike.  I'm OK w/ spening around $1K, and thinking I can do a little better. 

Just back from the Cowtown 1/2.  Great, well organized race!  While an early 5 minute bathroom stop cost us our 2:30 goal, we were happy with 2:32....a PR for me and my friend.  Best of all, we came through not limping at the end (as opposed to previous years), so should be ready to go on the next phase of training. 

2011-02-27 3:21 PM

User image

Las Vegas
I was at the local Trek dealer a couple of weeks ago and found AMAZING prices on new models that would have easily cost twice that 2 years ago!  I was blown away to find partial carbon fiber frames and carbon forks with good components for around $1000.

Maybe it's just the Vegas economy or the fact that they are manufactured in the Orient I don't know, but either way great bike!

(I'm not biased - I don't ride a Trek - but really was surprized on how much of a high-end bike could be afforded now.)
2011-02-27 4:11 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Ah first 20 miler... started at -2F, brrr.
8:46
8:36
9:12
8:51
9:07
9:16
9:57
8:15
8:40
9:20
8:55
8:35
9:08
8:54
8:50
8:49
9:40
8:48
9:12
9:24

A fair number of hills, felt good through that last hill at mile 17 and then completed 18 feeling strong, then kind of lost some steam and ran into some bumpier icier spots with lousy footing. 

I cut up a tube that had a hole in it to help insolate the camelback tube and put it under my jacket and it still froze up every 7 minutes.  Thankefully I put in hot water and once I got it flowing a bit I was able to melt the ice each time. 

What are the components on the specialized (105, ultegra, dura ace)  I also wouldn't go below 105s and ultegra is better if... dura ace will be out of your price range unless someone doesn't know what their bike is worth. 

Edited by Baowolf 2011-02-27 4:18 PM

2011-02-27 5:38 PM

User image

New user
Like I have indicated before, this forum is my "Accountability" place.  This past week I hit all my workouts with the exception of one strength. I hit 2 swims, 2 runs, 2 bikes  and only 1 strength.  I do have a concern though.  I am using this training regimen for a fat loss program also.  This week, my fat loss stalled.  I am very happy that my endurance is doing well, but the fat loss has me very disappointed.  I plan to take this week off and consume my calories at maintenance level and hit it hard next week.  There is plenty of time until my Sprint(June 11th)  so a one week break might do me good.  Is it a difficult balance to increase endurance and lose fat?  Thanks for your input. TJCIN
2011-02-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: #3374399

User image

Great job on the PR!!
2011-02-27 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3374568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Higganum, Connecticut
do you know that you didn't lose fat?  Building muscle which is heavier than fat will off set any losses you would expect.  In order to really "burn" the fat, you have to operate in your aerobic zone, as a rule of thumb take 180 and subtract your age, the more time running or biking with your heart rate in that zone, the better.  Don't take the gels and energy bars for granted, they have lots of calories and carbs that defeat the point of exercising if you eat a high carb/calorie meal too.  I read that an average person has in excess of 100,000 calories stored in the fatty-acids in their body, enough to run from Portland OR to Las Angles CA, the problem being that your body needs a steady intake of about 250 calories an hour to burn those fatty-acid calories.  It's a careful balancing act, but you can do it.  You are sticking to the program, now it's learning, understanding how your body burns fuel, what is too much and too little.  You will get there, trust yourself and don't get discouraged.  I am having the hardest time losing any weight, but I know my endurance has gone through the roof, my ability to keep going when I never thought I could finish a 5k or swim 10 lengths of the pool.  Whatever weight I thought I needed to loose has taken a second seat to the benefits of gaining an amazing level of fitness.  Remember you can do it.
2011-02-28 4:39 AM

User image

New user
Thanks Todd. I am currently in a BodyFat Challenge and each week I weigh myself on a BodyFat scale.  I use that number to calculate lean body mass to determine where any loss or gain came from.  After this week off, I am going to mix things up a bit as far as my routine goes.  I do have a heart rate monitor and when I am on the bike and running I am going to use it.  Thanks.  TJCIN
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's Spring-into-action 2011 mentor group -- Full Up & Ready to go! Rss Feed  

of 23