BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-06-24 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3281614

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED

Hey All,

I am back from CA!

Had a great week. Didn't do a ton of training, but I did get in some runs.

Back to the training tomorrow. Doing a mile swim race and then probably ride 60.

Getting very excited about picking up training again for real. Plus, I have some vacation weight to lose.

2011-06-26 9:28 AM

User image

Griffin, Georgia

Finished the race yesterday.  Swim was much better than last time.  The open water swim training is definitely helping.  The bike and run courses were pretty hilly.  My overall time was better than last time so I feel pretty good about that.  My son beat my overall time by 43 seconds this time though.  He really did good and made a lot of improvements in his swim over the last time.  Here is my race report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=258139

Edited by billeckert 2011-06-26 9:29 AM
2011-06-26 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3565407

User image

Regular

Throwing up doesn't bother me anymore years of high school and college track, cross country, and partying too!

The only part that bothered me was losing time and having my buddy beat me at the end.

billeckert - 2011-06-24 10:05 AM
grownassman161 - 2011-06-20 8:51 PM

Not gonna do a race report but here's some thoughts from my race...

Funny things: My chip on my ankle fell off jogging out of the water (next time I will safety pin it). I ran out of T2 with my helmet on, I always forget something, people yelled at me and I threw it on the ground 10 yards out. Soon after I stepped on a GU packet and my foot slid around, then my upper calves started cramping both sides.

Serious analysis: swim went well stayed calm for the most part kept my breathing through out the course, it was a nice lake swim. T1 took longer than it should cleaning my feet off, next time I'll go back to the bucket of water to clean the feet or a bottle of water to squirt on them. Flying mount onto the bike. Bike split did good avg. 20.8 with hills, should have seen me on some of the corners I was sidways and especially on the downhill corners it was a blast. T2 super quick as always took a while to adjust to the run shoes (squishy) compared to the bike shoes (stiff). Run first mile 7:32, caught my training buddy which I was thrilled about. kept throwing in surges to keep the pace up. with .2 to go, going uphill followed a guy passing me and tried to stay with him but threw up at the of the hill with .1 to go. started walking again, then jogged, then jogged a little quicker and then people yelled that someone was coming it was my training buddy and he passed me w/ 10 yards to go.

Overall: 1:17 for a 400 swim, 14 mi bike, 5k run. Good time, good bike split decent run until I threw up. Next time no accelerade on the bike just water, will get my nutrition before the start with a banana and gu and shot blocks thats what worked last time.

Awesome Race!!!  Not sure that I want to actually throw up, but being right on the edge would be okay.

2011-06-27 10:20 AM

User image

Master

Nice race Bill!

Had a decent weekend. Did a 1 mile swim on Sat, and got beat by NICK!!!! His work in the pool is really paying off.

Did about a 40 mile ride after that, but the heat was getting bad.

Ran 6.6 last night and then had a BRUTAL leg workout at the gym this morning. Not even sure I will be able to drive home, since I drive a stick.

Excited to be home and relatively in control of my schedule.

2011-06-27 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3568985

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2011-06-27 11:20 AM

Had a decent weekend. Did a 1 mile swim on Sat, and got beat by NICK!!!!

How embarrasing!  

Just kidding.  I had a good weekend, walked in the Relay for Life cancer fundraiser, got some things done around the house despite rainy weather, and got some nice hill riding done in honor of a few BT friend doing IMCdA.

Also got in two very short runs with minimal Achilles side effects.  And a highlight was that my son decided to run cross country so we went and bought him some shoes.  He runs (in fact he lives) barefoot, but they won't let him try out for CC with no shoes.  Now we have to get him out there training, but I'm sure he'll be ridiculing me in fairly short order.

2011-06-28 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Nice Race Bill!  Must be proud of your son as well!!

I had a good training weekend, 30/5 mile bike/run brick on Saturday and a 55 mile ride on Sunday.  The ride was a tough one for me, close to 3000 ft of climbing on legs that were already tired from my Friday and Saturday workouts.  Took Monday off and will be on my bike after work tonight.

I need to get my swims in before my half in July, haven't been to the pool in two weeks.  Just don't love swimming and have a hard time convincing myself to go.

2011-06-29 7:32 AM

User image

Master

Whew,

Hey All, how goes it?  

Anyone racing this weekend or on the 4th? I am thinking of volunteering at a race on the 4th, as my legs are still shot today from a workout at the gym on Monday.

Not sure why I do that to myself. The point of weights is to support my working out, not to stop me from being able to. I can barely walk up the stairs or bend down to pick something up at this point.

Planning to do an indoor workout tonight on the computrainers with Nick. Hopefully my legs will recover enough by then.

Be well!

2011-06-29 3:49 PM

User image

NH

No races for me until next weekend.  I am just building up the running slowly to try to keep the Achilles and that whole area happy.

Maybe going a monster ride for me on Friday - if I do it it'll be about 70 miles and 5500 feet of climb, and likely into a prevailing wind.  Should be fun!

2011-06-29 9:01 PM

User image

Master

Warren,

Nice! That sounds like a great ride. I am thinking about doing some long rides this weekend.

There are a few races coming up that I am thinking about. Need to do some planning so I can get the rest of my season settled.

Great workout with Nick tonight. Still can't walk, but it was worth it!

2011-07-02 2:19 PM

User image

Master

Whee, 

If it ain't raining, it ain't training. Got out to ride with a friend today, and we got dumped on.

Decent ride altogether, and made the coffee at the end that much better.

Looking forward to a run tomorrow and then volunteering at a tri on Monday.

How are your weekends going?

2011-07-05 6:29 AM

User image

Master

So, How was your weekend?

I had decent training on Saturday and Sunday, and then ate too much apple and blueberry pie on Monday. Such is life!

Ran about 8.5 miles on Sunday. It was brutal. It was about 90 degrees real feel, and I am out of practice running in that kind of heat.

Did OK, but I need to get back on my game!

2011-07-05 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3580597

User image

NH
eliwashere - 2011-07-05 7:29 AM

So, How was your weekend?

I had decent training on Saturday and Sunday, and then ate too much apple and blueberry pie on Monday. Such is life!

Ran about 8.5 miles on Sunday. It was brutal. It was about 90 degrees real feel, and I am out of practice running in that kind of heat.

Did OK, but I need to get back on my game!

Had a great weekend, but absolutely ate way too much.  Did the 70 miler up to the lake and then a few more rides through the hills up there.  We also had friends up to the cottage all three days - which really cuts into training!

I'm still running sparingly trying to get my Achilles right.  I wouldn't say it hurts, but it's just not quite right so I'm being extra careful.

I'm racing this weekend and the team I'm part of has 7 people entered.  We're not really a "team" in the classic sense of the word, but we're a loosely connected group who all keep in touch and we just happened to all sign up for this event.  Should be fun.

2011-07-05 9:07 PM

User image

Master

Warren,

Sounds great. I can relate to the ate too much. Just had 2 more pieces of blueberry pie, and am trying to think what I can do to work them off tomorrow!

2011-07-06 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Hey Everybody!!

Hope Everybody's 4th was great.   I trained pretty hard this past weekend.  Did 35/7 Bike/Run brick on Friday.  Saturday went to Geneva and rode the course for my HIM.  The ride went really well, but a tad slower than I wanted.  I am hoping that during the race I will be at 17 MPH or better but we will see.

My run on Sunday was the 13 miles in prep for HIM and it sucked.  From my training logs:

This run was brutal. Really had no fun at all during it. Basically had to walk most of the last 2 miles. I knew about mile 3 that this run was gonna suck. Hot and I think I was dehydrated as my legs started cramping at mile 10. First time that ever happened. Oh well I made it and now I can start tapering for my race.

It was the slowest most painful run I have ever done.  I am hoping the tapering and excitement of the race will allow me to perform better.  Could be embarassing though if I perform like this during the race.  The run was over 13 mm, and I have been hoping to do 11:30 to 12.  I did my 10 mile race at 10:45 in May.  Oh well, this week is a bit lighter and next week is basically nothing so I should be rested and ready to go on the 17th.

2011-07-06 5:07 PM
in reply to: #3583213

User image

NH

Charlie, don't sweat that run.  You really had put in some serious training the 2 prior days.  You'll be fine for your half.

It's great that you've ridden the entire bike course and know the route.  Just take it easy on race day and don't chase that speed goal if it's not happening.  Remember there's a half marathon after those 56 miles!  Your first 70.3 should be fun and a great chance to learn.  Don't try racing it. 

Well that's my advice and opinion anyway.  Can't wait to see your race report!

2011-07-07 7:27 AM

User image

Master

Charlie,

Training is supposed to suck sometimes, that way when it sucks on race day, you already know how to deal with it.

Also, you have to respect the heat. I melted on my run this weekend because it was hotter than I expected as well. When it is hotter, slow down, or take walk breaks on a regular pattern from the START of your runs.

Having a good week so far. Hoping to ride tonight and get in a swim tomorrow. 11 mile run with my wife on Saturday, and then I need to bike on Sunday.

2011-07-08 11:34 AM

User image

NH

I've got an Oly tomorrow (well, almost an Oly, a little short on all three legs).  The course has an interesting bike route.  It's an out and back - the out is steady downhill of 1000 feet and then obviously the back is steady climb up those same 1000 feet.  Should have the legs good and fried for the run!

Anyone else racing this weekend?

2011-07-08 6:03 PM

User image

Master

No race for me, but I am partaking in a pie baking contest!

Getting a long run (11 miles) in tomorrow, and then I need to get my bike on on Sunday.

My wife is marathon training, so I am trying to match my plan to hers, but pretty soon I will need to start doubling up on the rides. I will either give my spin bike lots of work, or we will have to pay a lot for babysitters!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

2011-07-11 8:20 AM

User image

Carmel
Subject: Help! Swimming!
Swimming in the pool during the week -trianing going ok - up to 15-1700 in 40-45 min doing some ladder workouts with a masters group. At a spring indoor tri this year, my time much better than last year. BUT--open water swim is the same - like I've never swam a stroke in my life! Lifeguard follows me in a kayak - asking if I need help....I asked them to follow me to first buoy...I swim about 150meters ---then totally loose my breathing - flip on my back to "catch my breath" -- do some breast strok and go back to freestyle - but have to make a total mental decision to keep going ---- (and not just stop and take a ride back to shore) - from first buoy to second - I fip flop free/breast - but from second buoy to shore - I'm ok - can get the stroke going/breathing going and all works ok to the finish - where I'm generally one of the last to finish (easier to find my bike that way!) ---- bike is great - and run goes well --- its the swim that is spoiling the party......suggestions for open water swim? pool is close --- but lakes are sparse around here and the guards won't let you swim out of the barriers----only option would be to have someelse go on a boat?? but logostics/knowing someone with a boat/all issues. training limited to the pool...........am I totally up a creek??
2011-07-11 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3590017

User image

Griffin, Georgia
Subject: RE: Help! Swimming!

pgrun - 2011-07-11 9:20 AM Swimming in the pool during the week -trianing going ok - up to 15-1700 in 40-45 min doing some ladder workouts with a masters group. At a spring indoor tri this year, my time much better than last year. BUT--open water swim is the same - like I've never swam a stroke in my life! Lifeguard follows me in a kayak - asking if I need help....I asked them to follow me to first buoy...I swim about 150meters ---then totally loose my breathing - flip on my back to "catch my breath" -- do some breast strok and go back to freestyle - but have to make a total mental decision to keep going ---- (and not just stop and take a ride back to shore) - from first buoy to second - I fip flop free/breast - but from second buoy to shore - I'm ok - can get the stroke going/breathing going and all works ok to the finish - where I'm generally one of the last to finish (easier to find my bike that way!) ---- bike is great - and run goes well --- its the swim that is spoiling the party......suggestions for open water swim? pool is close --- but lakes are sparse around here and the guards won't let you swim out of the barriers----only option would be to have someelse go on a boat?? but logostics/knowing someone with a boat/all issues. training limited to the pool...........am I totally up a creek??

I had the same type of experience in my first triathlon.  I had been swimming a lot in the pool, about 3 times per week, and was able to swim 1650 meters in about 35 minutes.  Then the open water swim.  I got about 50 meters out and with all of the bumping and what not, I went into panic mode.  I swam a lot when I was a kid and have swam in open water before but this was totally different.  All I knew was that I wanted out of that water.  I finished the swim but I knew that I something was going to have to happen to get me through the next one.  I found a group in the area that does open water swim in a lake close to home.  I went and the first day was awful.  It was very windy with some pretty big waves.  Swam .25 miles to the point.  Okay I made it now to get back.  The waves got to me about a third of the way back and I just looked for the closest shore and swam to it.  Since then I have gotten to the point where I can swim to the point and back no problem.  The last time I went it was a little wavy and I still made it.  I currently swim at least 2 times per week in open water.

I looked at your logs.  It looks like you are swimming once per week with most of your training being on the bike and run.  If you can up that to at least two times per week, it will probably help with your swim fitness.  I would also try to get in one open water swim per week as part of the 2 per week.  If you cannot find a place to do open water swim, try turning on the T at the end of the pool.  This will take away the push off the wall that you do not get in open water.  Also, check with the folks in your masters group and see if they know of anyone that does an open water swim.  I found mine through a local swim team.  It is on a lake owned by a power company.  I had to contact someone at the power company to get on the swim list.  Now I can go anytime I want.  In my second tri, I did much better on the swim.  I was much more comfortable on the swim with no panic feeling.  I attribute that all to the open water swimming that I have been doing

All that said, your swim time in your last race was reasonable for the training and your overall time was good.  I hope you can find some place to train in the open water that is safe.  Remember, you should always go with someone.  I am sure others will post and if I have said something that is a little off I would appreciate the correction.  Good luck with it. 

2011-07-11 4:58 PM

User image

NH

Race report is done.

I'll comment on the swimming when I have more time.

2011-07-12 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3590173

User image

Carmel
Thanks for the kind words- and you hit the nail on the head with your description of the open water "feeling" - generally swim 2x/week-but work has gottn in the way the past few months - I'll ask the masters group if anyone knows of an open water swim training/area/group - did 1800 in about 40 + a short warmdown today - i can swim ok - no fish- but the open water really feels 100% different - and I need a little help getting through it (kinda makes me feel better others have felt the same way out in the water)
2011-07-12 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3590017

User image

Master

pgrun - 2011-07-11 8:20 AM Swimming in the pool during the week -trianing going ok - up to 15-1700 in 40-45 min doing some ladder workouts with a masters group. At a spring indoor tri this year, my time much better than last year. BUT--open water swim is the same - like I've never swam a stroke in my life! Lifeguard follows me in a kayak - asking if I need help....I asked them to follow me to first buoy...I swim about 150meters ---then totally loose my breathing - flip on my back to "catch my breath" -- do some breast strok and go back to freestyle - but have to make a total mental decision to keep going ---- (and not just stop and take a ride back to shore) - from first buoy to second - I fip flop free/breast - but from second buoy to shore - I'm ok - can get the stroke going/breathing going and all works ok to the finish - where I'm generally one of the last to finish (easier to find my bike that way!) ---- bike is great - and run goes well --- its the swim that is spoiling the party......suggestions for open water swim? pool is close --- but lakes are sparse around here and the guards won't let you swim out of the barriers----only option would be to have someelse go on a boat?? but logostics/knowing someone with a boat/all issues. training limited to the pool...........am I totally up a creek??

I agree with what the others said. One other suggestion I would make is to slow down a little in the race. Don't swim at your lap pace. Swim as easy and smooth as possible. Also, position yourself to the outsides to try to get some clearer water to swim in.

Keeping your stroke and breathing good during an OWS is much harder than when you are in the pool. Plus, being hyped up at the beginning of a race will make your breathing a little ragged.

Just think slow and smooth. I always think "Slow is smooth. Smooth is strong. Strong is fast" when I swim. It helps.

2011-07-12 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3592245

User image

NH

pgrun - 2011-07-12 9:21 AM Thanks for the kind words- and you hit the nail on the head with your description of the open water "feeling" - generally swim 2x/week-but work has gottn in the way the past few months - I'll ask the masters group if anyone knows of an open water swim training/area/group - did 1800 in about 40 + a short warmdown today - i can swim ok - no fish- but the open water really feels 100% different - and I need a little help getting through it (kinda makes me feel better others have felt the same way out in the water)

Is there any chance to swim in the same lakes the races are in?  There's no question open water is totally different than pool swimming.  Not being able to see, currents and swells, no edge to gauge progress, unknown creatures, etc., all contribute.  I think Eli is spot on in that it's critical to go slow and easy.  I'm amazed how little speed I lose when I swim easy.  Just forget the world, forget the lake, and just find something in your stroke or whatever to occupy you.  Like Eli has the "slow is smooth..." mantra.  I count my strokes between breaths, watch the bubbles off my hands and try to minimize them, or whatever I can do to relax and stay smooth.

I would advise trying any way to get more open water swims in.  This is one place where I just don't think you can get around the specificity of the training.  

I disdain the pool at the same level many people hate treadmills.  I'm very lucky to live near lots of lakes as well as the ocean, and we spend weekends at our camp on a major lake up here.  I do almost all my swimming in lakes and the ocean, and as such I'm very comfortable in the open water swimming.  The down side is that all the water around here freezes in December until April so I'm out of luck all winter!  Good luck and it will get easier the more you do it!

2011-07-12 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3591365

User image

Griffin, Georgia
wbayek - 2011-07-11 5:58 PM

Race report is done.

I'll comment on the swimming when I have more time.

Great race and report!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eli's Getting Ready for the Season Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20