BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-04-16 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3450412

User image

Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed

mwp1054 - 2011-04-16 5:20 PM I'm racing a 5k tomorrow.  I'd like to PR, which is my goal every time I race.  I have not missed it in a long time, but it keeps getting harder.  I need to get under 22:29, but would really like to get to 21:59.  They are calling for 18 mph sustained winds and 30+ mph gusts, so we'll see.  More important is it's mom's first race at 58 years old.  We have the kids ready to cheer, signs made, the whole nine yards.  I'll be fine if I don't make my goals as long as she makes hers.

Mark,

Your mom is going to love the signs and the cheerleading section!  I hope she has a wonderful first race.  She'll probably be like the rest of us and will get hooked.

We look forward to hearing about your PR tomorrow - you can do it!

Jacqui

2011-04-16 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3450474

User image

Really nice split. Well done!
2011-04-16 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3286171

User image

I sort of raced today -- I co-led a pace group at a local half marathon.  I did great at the encouragement and cheerleading of our group members, but I am so disappointed that we made two critical errors.

The first was that we came in a few seconds early on mile 1 and 2.  Our coach's biggest pet peeve is going out too fast - he would rather you hit the first few mile splits a few seconds behind pace than to hit them too soon.  It was only about 10 seconds on the first and a few on the second mile, but still I am kicking myself for not slowing down and doing a better job.

Then, somehow we miscalculated the last mile.  We were ahead of pace so took a "strategic walk break" in the last mile to get us back on schedule.  Unfortunately I think we saw the 26 mile marker (we were only doing the half) and assumed we had .2 to go and started slowing.  The 13 mile marker came AFTER that point and so we were off on our timing.  We finished 2 minutes too slow.  Ugh.  It's not like we messed up anyone's BQ times since this was only a half (and a slow one at that!) but still I am so disappointed and frustrated with myself.

Enough of the whining  Did short swim afterwards which was my fastest to date.  It is still embarrassingly slow so I will not post the time.  A few weeks ago I couldn't swim so I guess I am slowly making progress.

Good luck to those racing and wishing great training sessions for the rest of us!

Jacqui

2011-04-17 5:57 AM
in reply to: #3450489

User image

Jacqui,First, doing something like leading a pace group is awesome, and kudos to you for volunteering and giving of yourself! I see pace groups all over the board at all kinds of races, rarely are they actually right on pace. The longer the distance, the harder it is to be accurate. With regards to your swimming, the fact you are doing it is fantastic. It is very hard relative to the other disciplines. There are no Garmins, no landmarks, no ability to validate your pace in the pool, just whatever sense of feel you can get from the rhythm of your arm cadence and your breathing. Very tough to"feel". Keep plugging at it, you will get better by repetition and fitness. Find a local clinic if you can, that will pay dividends too.
2011-04-17 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3450481

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Good luck Mark and Linfieldpt with your races today!! And everyone else, hope you have a great training weekend!
2011-04-17 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3450868

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Jacqui, You did a wonderful thing by volunteering with pacing and cheering.  A friend of mine paced for the race I ran yesterday and they didn't finish at the exact time. He said it is very hard to do. The support the pacers give makes a big difference to the runners!

2011-04-17 10:38 AM

User image

Under the "any pr is a good race"theory, I had a good 5k this morning. I was in at 22:27, pr by two seconds. I was hoping to go 22 flat, but 34 degrees and 20mph+ winds did not help at race time. I refused to change the plan, however, and went for it with my target splits. I had it until I turned into the wind for the fina .8 mile. Could not hold a sub seven pace into that wind. My previous pr was in 70 degree weather with no wind. I am highly confident that I can crack 22 now though, and that is the bigger issue for me, the mental confidence. When your hr is in z5, it's ready to tell yourself you have to back down. The hard thing to do is hold it there and know you will be alright.My wife shattered her pr by over one minute, nearly broke 24 minutes, with a 24:04. Mom was awesome at 38 flat on a tough day and she didn't walk at all. The grandkids finished with her and she was really proud of herself. She said she felt great.
2011-04-17 10:51 AM
in reply to: #3451031

Regular
Spruce Grove

What an impressive showing by the whole family! I'm feeling very inspired!

mwp1054 - 2011-04-17 9:38 AM Under the "any pr is a good race"theory, I had a good 5k this morning. I was in at 22:27, pr by two seconds. I was hoping to go 22 flat, but 34 degrees and 20mph+ winds did not help at race time. I refused to change the plan, however, and went for it with my target splits. I had it until I turned into the wind for the fina .8 mile. Could not hold a sub seven pace into that wind. My previous pr was in 70 degree weather with no wind. I am highly confident that I can crack 22 now though, and that is the bigger issue for me, the mental confidence. When your hr is in z5, it's ready to tell yourself you have to back down. The hard thing to do is hold it there and know you will be alright.My wife shattered her pr by over one minute, nearly broke 24 minutes, with a 24:04. Mom was awesome at 38 flat on a tough day and she didn't walk at all. The grandkids finished with her and she was really proud of herself. She said she felt great.

2011-04-17 3:45 PM

User image

Mark,

Congrats to you, your wife, and your mom!  It sounds like everyone should be very proud of their efforts.  Is your mom hooked now and already planning her next race?

Jacqui

2011-04-17 5:26 PM

Mark,

Great job by the whole family.  Congratulations.

Ellen

2011-04-17 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3451260

User image

We should have braved the cold a bit longer to pick up our hardware. We didn't know it, but the wife and I both won our age group. I took 15th overall and she was 25th. Weak field of about 400, but a win is a win. Second win of the year for both of us. We both won an indoor bike time trial on computrainer. Shaping up to be a cool year.

2011-04-17 7:00 PM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

Well the Race was a blast! First 1/2 mary I have run in awhile.  Although it is still tough to judge as it was a trail run with 2,000 ft roughly of elevation.  Either way i set a PR at 1:45:20 and had a blast.  Racing conditions were perfect and I got a little hardware for the AG victory (only 5 people ).  Here is the race report if you would like a more in depth report!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248703&posts=1&start=1

2011-04-17 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3451440

User image

Great job today. PR and a podium is an outstanding day.
2011-04-17 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3451440

User image

linfieldpt - 2011-04-17 7:00 PM

Well the Race was a blast! First 1/2 mary I have run in awhile.  Although it is still tough to judge as it was a trail run with 2,000 ft roughly of elevation.  Either way i set a PR at 1:45:20 and had a blast.  Racing conditions were perfect and I got a little hardware for the AG victory (only 5 people ).  Here is the race report if you would like a more in depth report!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=248703&posts=1&start=1

Wow, that's fast!  Congratulations on your PR and age group victory!!

Jacqui

2011-04-18 7:18 AM

User image

Regular

Mark - Awesome showing by the whole fam! Congrats on the PR with challenging conditions. Very cool that those you love are out there with you.

Also - thanks for the link:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/Swimming/How_To_Pull_Underwater_2009.html

Watched and incorporated that into my swim yesterday.. Totally changed my stroke in the water, and paid off well. I could feel less resistance immediately. Now I just have to make it habit. Used muscles I haven't used before as well..

linfieldpt - Sweet victory for sure, Congrats. I look forward to reading the RR.

Jacqui – awesome deal on the pace group thing. Sounds like fun, and a challenge

Hope everyone else got in some quality training this weekend.

Happy Monday..

2011-04-18 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3451930

User image

Tiana,

That technique definitely makes you quicker immediately.  I have had coaches harp on me to do it for a year now, but always felt stronger with a deeper and more powerful pull.  My body type always leads me to fall back on my physical strength to get through something.  In swimming, however, form is more important.  Reduced drag is more important than power.  I did it all last week and really engaged my lats more than ever before.  That is my key to knowing if I've been successful.  If my lats are sore, they were working.  When you dig deep and strong, you use your arms too much, and they tire.  The lats are huge and have a lot of power without outsized efforts.  Good for you for trying.  I know I was pulling 1:30 T pace for a 2000m pyramid last week, and that was a huge improvement for me (5-10 seconds).  The pyramid goes 100, 200, 300, 400, 400, 300, 200, 100.  If you ever want a good workout that focuses on distance but gives you a brief rest to hold form, that's the workout for you.  You take 15 seconds between sets and try to do each interval at T Pace.

2011-04-18 9:14 AM

User image

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

Question for Mark and others about HR monitors again...

Normally on the teadmill i run 7 min pace @ 1 percent grade for my tempo runs.  HR goes from 155-160 tops.  Start of race yesterday first mile was 7:28 and HR was 160+ the whole way.

Is this common with races? Adrenaline and excitement jacking up your heart rate? Or due more to the fact that running on the road is simply just harder with ground forces to overcome? Maybe a combination of both?

thanks

Edited by linfieldpt 2011-04-18 9:15 AM
2011-04-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3452205

User image

Probably a combination of both.  I was watching my HR yesterday before the race and it was significantly higher than my normal standing around rate.  Even my resting HR was high hours before.  The bigger difference would likely be the outdoors vs. indoors.  When on the treadmill, you are lighter, faster, and not working as hard.  Start with the fact that there is no drag on your body on the treadmill.  If you're outdoors and running at 6-7 mph, plus whatever wind, you have a fairly significant drag force to overcome.  Next, you have to propel yourself forward, not just get your foot off the belt.  Finally, and this one is really significant, if you're running a trail, you are spending a lot of energy keeping yourself balanced and upright.  The more uneven the terrain the more effort used for non forward propulsion.  On the roads, you want to make sure you are moving forward and backwards.  Side to side motion is inefficient and counterproductive.  It's wasted energy.  Once the HR starts to elevate, it's a cumulative effect, and doesn't come down very easily either.  Also, if you're at thresshold, even for short periods, you're starting to put lactic acid in the system and your heart will work harder.  So if you have a steep climb or take off like a bat out of hell, you're starting a process you cannot reverse.
2011-04-18 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

This weekend was jam-packed for me. Saturday I drove 2 1/2 hours with my mom to see the route of the May 7 triathlon. We only ended up biking 8 out of the 13 miles of the bike route because it turned out my mom hadn't been on a bike in 2 years (she didn't tell me this in advance!) and by the 5 mile mark her legs were shaking and she was drenched in sweat. I didn't break a sweat the entire time, but since it was basically a scouting expedition it was well worth my time and we had FUN! We did drive the entire route so I know what to expect and feel completely prepared now. Having the route in my head definitely boosts my confidence. The route has a few very short, low, hills, but I consider it pretty flat and I could have flown around it twice on Saturday! I ride more hills biking to and from work on a regular basis.

Afterwards we crashed the first restaurant we could find. It was only in the mid to upper 30's for our ride plus high gusts of wind, probably 27 or 28 mph. I had hot tea and actually found the healthiest entree I've ever seen on a diner menu: 2 grilled chicken breast and a giant bowl of steamed broccoli. Yum!

After driving back home we decided (completely insane) that we would go to the gym just before closing. Got in a short walk/jog introduction for my mom and then swam 600 meters before they kicked us out.

Sunday morning I ran a 5k in about 34:00 (they haven't posted times yet and I forgot to start my stopwatch). Slower than my PR, but faster than I've been training this season and it wore me out! I used most of the last 2 miles to do speed intervals and it was a real workout.

Then I went home, packed a picnic lunch, and biked 8 miles to a friend's house for lunch and then biked back home.

A bit chilly, but at least Sunday was blue skies and sunny, and all in all it was an awesome weekend!

2011-04-18 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3448957

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Let's talk transition

Wow, that sounds great! I'll call my eye doctor today and try to get my prescription - I do know I have a significant difference between eyes but even if one eye was right and the other was fuzzier I bet it would be an improvement!

Thanks!

TElenor - 2011-04-15 1:29 PM
QueerDrummer - 2011-04-14 6:31 PM

I'm curious about your prescription goggles. Where did you get them made and how much did it cost? I'm extremely near-sighted (can't swim off the clock in workouts so I just count rest seconds) and I can't wear contacts. I swim with non-prescription goggles and do just fine. I'm a little worried about getting out of the pool to T1 but as long as I get a chance to see where I need to go beforehand I think I'll be ok. I just have to KNOW where my bike is cos I'm planning on having my glasses there...I might check if I can have them at the edge of the pool but I'm guessing I can't. Anyway, I'll be dealing with that for the swim and then putting on my prescription transition lenses for the bike/run and I use a sports strap to hold them on my face. STylish!

Amazingly, I got my prescription goggles for a whopping $8.00 from swimoutlets.com (I think they were the Sporti Antifog?).  Yes, that is $8, as in, under $10.00.  I thought they might be terrible because they were so inexpensive, but they're easily the best pair I own.  The don't dig uncomfortable rings around my eyes, they don't leak, and (most importantly!) they don't ever fog.  My eyes are equally bad, so I was able to just order the same prescription in both lenses.  If you're eyes differ I'm not sure if you can get a different prescription in each lens?  Seems like you should.  At any rate, I can read the time clock just fine during my swims and love how comfortable they are.  I would definitely recommend them!  It might be nice to reduce the stress of T1 by being able to SEE your bike. :-)

2011-04-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3451462

User image

Regular
Minnesota
Congrats Mark and linfieldpt on your PRs! Great job guys!

2011-04-18 11:28 AM

User image

Regular
Holy moly QD you did have a full weekend.
2011-04-18 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3452355

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

Ditto - great job Jacqui, Mark (and family) and linfieldpt!!! 

Hearing your race reports makes me anxious to get out there and race.  My first tri isn't until June - might have to find a 5k or 10k to do before then.  We have "Bloomsday 12k" coming in a couple of weeks in Spokane - but with almost 60,000 runners, its a little too crowded for me.

-Ron

2011-04-18 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3452595

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

So, this is my "Recovery" week and my plan drops all my workout distances to about 60% of what they were last week.

I know, from reading BT threads, that there are several different thoughts on recovery weeks - from not taking them at all, to keeping the same distances but at slower paces, to dropping distance but upping intensity.  My approach, so far, has been to do the shorter distances but up the intensity and see how fast I can go. 

How do you folks approach recovery week?

-Ron

2011-04-18 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3452653

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Well I'm just a beginner but I've been reducing my workout distance by about 20% during recovery, which makes it less time too. I don't increase the intensity, I guess I keep it about the same if I feel up to it, and if I'm feeling tired I allow myself to back off a little. I make sure I still get enough sleep & push fluids, and enjoy having a bit more time on my hands!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30