BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-06-14 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3548832

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-06-14 3:05 PM

Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed
miamiamy - 2011-06-14 2:02 PM

So Yeah Me! I finished my longest race yet this weekend Trinona in Winona, Minnesota. So many firsts where do I begin:

This is my first international distance. 1.5kswim, 40kbike and 10k run. When I started training I had never done anywhere near that distance swimming. Also first race in a wet suit.

This was the first long distance travel tri - so that adds some complexity.

This was my hilliest course ever (we don't have hills here in Miami). I made it up the Garvin Heights hill and only stopped because when the volunteer told me I was halfway up I got so excited I bumped into the curb - oops. Btw, I learned that clipping back in while going up hill is ... how shall I say ... difficult, close to impossible, awkward.

Not super speedy 3:28:10 but finished with a smile. And not last - close but not the very last person across the line. I'm super proud of myself.

I wrote a race report but not really sure where the link would be.

Awesome job Amy.  The terrain will make a huge difference in your ride and run, and yes, never unclip going up a hill.  If you do, make sure you're in a very small gear. 

2011-06-14 3:54 PM

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
miamiamy - 2011-06-14 12:02 PM

So Yeah Me! I finished my longest race yet this weekend Trinona in Winona, Minnesota. So many firsts where do I begin:

This is my first international distance. 1.5kswim, 40kbike and 10k run. When I started training I had never done anywhere near that distance swimming. Also first race in a wet suit.

This was the first long distance travel tri - so that adds some complexity.

This was my hilliest course ever (we don't have hills here in Miami). I made it up the Garvin Heights hill and only stopped because when the volunteer told me I was halfway up I got so excited I bumped into the curb - oops. Btw, I learned that clipping back in while going up hill is ... how shall I say ... difficult, close to impossible, awkward.

Not super speedy 3:28:10 but finished with a smile. And not last - close but not the very last person across the line. I'm super proud of myself.

I wrote a race report but not really sure where the link would be.

Great job Amy!  My first Oly is in August... hope I do as well.

Nice race report - here is the link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=256581

-Ron

2011-06-20 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3286171

Hi everyone. I have a question. How does multisport training / racing translate into single sport endurance?

I'm not sure that question makes any sense by itself so let me explain. I just finished this triathlon which took me about 3:30. My next big race will be a full marathon (NYC - thanks for asking). My hope is to finish the NYC marathon sub 4:30. I feel like I'm in much better shape than any other time when I started a marathon training plan - but am I? Does being able to complete this multi-sport race for 3:30 make me more ready or is that an illusion?

Thx in advance -

2011-06-20 10:04 PM

I have decided to eat some crow in light of my plantars faciitus, which is getting a little better, but it is slow going.  Instead of the Olympic distance on July 16, I am doing a sprint tri on July 30th.  I think this will be more enjoyable for my first tri and my husband and I agree mommy can't be injured long term, and 6 mile run would without a doubt do that.    I am trying not to feel too disappointed but it is a little disheartening.  On the flip side, I intend to kick some you know what next summer on the Olympic!    Nice racing everyone!   Kimberly
2011-06-20 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3559153

New user
Santa Rosa, Ca

hypoxic - 2011-06-20 8:04 PM I have decided to eat some crow in light of my plantars faciitus, which is getting a little better, but it is slow going.  Instead of the Olympic distance on July 16, I am doing a sprint tri on July 30th.  I think this will be more enjoyable for my first tri and my husband and I agree mommy can't be injured long term, and 6 mile run would without a doubt do that.    I am trying not to feel too disappointed but it is a little disheartening.  On the flip side, I intend to kick some you know what next summer on the Olympic!    Nice racing everyone!   Kimberly

could very well be a wise decision.  There is no doubt in my mind you could get through the olympic.  But suffering the run and the days/weeks following it isn't worth it.  You need to have fun with your first triathlon.  Make it a great experience! Enjoy your sprint and race hard and smart!

Best of luck!

2011-07-24 1:36 PM

Countdown is on - race next Saturday, Stoneman Tri in Springfield Il.  Biking and swimming going great, I can actually swim 1000 yards without stopping or using any recovery strokes!  When I first started in Feb, I couldn't make it past 50yards.  Running is still slow, I can go about 2miles before pain kicks in.  My plantar faciitus is about 90% better, so I am really glad I didn't try to do olympic distance.   I only need to do 3.1 miles, and I am pretty sure I can do that and not reinflame my itus too bad.  It has been such a personal growth journey for me, and I won't win and I quite possibly might come in close to last, considering I haven't practiced transitions, or done any type of interval training, BUT I have not missed any important moments with my family, and I am fulilling my 30yr promise to my 40yr person, me.  It takes alot to power through all the obstacles - injury, time management, doubt beyond belief, so everyone here knows what I am saying and what I have gone through.  I'm really glad I am doing this, and I will post my results, however slow they may be.  Till then, have a great week and thanks for all the support, you (we) are a special breed.  Kimberly     p.s.  hey moms, how cool is it so see your ab muscles again?!!!!  I thought something was wrong with my stomach when I noticed it being hollow like on the sides LOL
2011-07-29 10:52 AM
in reply to: #3612326

Regular
Minnesota
Kimberly--Best of luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes, but I already predict it will be great. You are doing something most people cannot even imagine. Have fun and smile big as you cross the finish line!
2011-07-31 5:42 PM

well I did it - not well and not quickly, but I finished and I wasn't last (overall that is)  I was last out of my age group 40-44.  There were 7 of us, and I was 7.  I did enjoy it, and I will do it again, without injuries!   There were 220 people who did the sprint and overall I was 148 in the swim, worse on the bike and run.  I did the race in 1:43.  I really did enjoy the experience, and I have no intentions of stopping now, but I am backing off due to my feet.  Have a wonderful week everyone, Kimberly
2011-08-03 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3622718

Kimberly,

Congratulations on your finish.  The first time is mostly about experience.  You understand it now, you know how it works, and you'll do better next time.  Keep training through the winter once your body heals up, and you'll be a ton better next year.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30