BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2011-01-08 6:41 AM

User image

Subject: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed
Hello All, my name is Mark and I can begin mentoring immediately.

I returned to triathlon after a 7 year vacation when my wife and I started having children.  I do triathlons to keep mentally and physically in shape, as I believe both are important and both benefit from competing to be my best.  While I had done some triathlons and a couple marathons before, upon my return to triathlon I was 35 pounds overweight and out of shape.  I decided to go from 5k to IronMan in one year.  Through the sport I recaptured my personal spirit, sense of pride, mental edge, and physical body.  I belong to a local training club with a number of very accomplished athletes, and am now a coached athlete myself.  I have competed at every distance from sprint through IronMan now, completing the challenging IronMan Wisconsin in 2010 in 12:48:04.  I will return in 2012 to attempt 11:30:00 or better after watching my wife compete in 2011 and leading her support/cheering section.   I have two great kids (6 and 4) and a wife who is also very into tri's it's something we do together.  I'm a sometimes workaholic who is self employed, very "Type A", and I believe that I have a duty to help others experience all of the positive benefits I have reaped from this sport.

Training:
I train at least 12 hours a week at this point in the season.  As mentioned, I have a coach for this season, and it has really increased the intensity of my training, and the way I train.  During the season I will peak at about 20 hours in aggressive build phases.

I also read EXTENSIVELY on the sport, training, nutrition, and equipment so have a lot of articles and knowledge to share.

2011 Races:
Great Western Trail Half Marathon (looking for sub 1:45 to get a qualifying corral for Chicago Marathon)
Galena Triathlon (sprint distance with EPIC hills on the bike/run)
Batavia Sprint Triathlon
Bigfoot (Lake Geneva) Olympic Tri
Ironman Racine 70.3 (5:00:00-5:10:00 goal)
Ironman Steelhead 70.3 (sub 5 hour PR goal at this race)
Half Madness Half Marathon
Support team at IronMan Wisconsin for my wife
Fox River Trail 20 miler
Chicago Marathon (3:50:00 target PR)
Schaumburg Half Marathon

Weight Loss:
This is a huge topic for me.  I am 6'4" and about 230 pounds as I write this today.  I've lost over 30 pounds through triathlon and this year plan to race at 220 pounds.  I am at about 13% body fat and 220 will take me to 10%.  You can do it if you set your mind to it, and I can help you.  I've taken the time to truly educate myself about nutrition and the physiology of exercise.  I am currently working with several friends to help them achieve their weight loss goals.....through triathlon.

As a mentor, I believe I can offer you a lot.  If you're a beginner, I can help you avoid the rookie mistakes.  If you're racing IM Wisconsin, I know the event, and particularly the bike course well.  I have lots of advice on that course, it's the second most challenging in the U.S. as it's never flat.  If you seek weight loss or mental sharpness, I have lots on that.  I'm at my PC all day (unless I'm training, but then I still have my Droid X with me).  I have a lot of time to help you research issues/ideas, and have a pretty strong network of people to reach out to for advice.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by mwp1054 2011-04-09 10:40 AM

2011-04-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: #3286171

Regular
Spruce Grove
Subject: RE: Tri Mark's Madness Group-Open
Hi Mark!! I would love to join your mentor group! I am a total newbie to triathlon this year, I decided last fall that racing a triathlon would be my big goal of the year-I wanted to lose weight and be a more fit role model for my three boys (9, 6 & 3). I've gone from being a total couch potato to feeling on my way to fit over the winter, mostly running and riding my bike on a trainer. I live in Alberta, Canada so avoid the ice, snow and cold with indoor workouts! Hopefully by the end of April I can get outside more!My first race us a tri-a-tri on May 15, then a sprint tri on June 26. I am not a fast runner, but it's coming along. I just switched out my cheap mouton bike for a road bike (specialized dolce elite) and am so thrilled with how much faster I can go on it!! I love swimming, but I am a mostly breaststroker so need to get freestyle figured out. I work from home pt, chauffeur the kids around and have a husband who works away several weeks st a time, so my schedule can be...interesting! Right now I just fit it in wherever in the day, maybe 6 hours a week? I want to take that up a bit for sure. I look forward to your wisdom!!
2011-04-07 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3434163

User image

Laurie,

Welcome! I hope that I can help you out on your way, and with the wisdom of a group of us, I'm sure we'll make a solid impact.

So to start our discussion on your particular strategy since you are the first, I thought I'd ask you a few questions.  Answer what you wish, and we'll go from there.

1.  Are you using any sort of training plan or just working as you go?

2.  Do you have an idea of what kind of mileage you are running weekly?

3.  What kind of 5k pace do you currently run?

4.  Do you have any idea of how far you can swim, and what your T Pace would be (T Pace is your pace per 100m for a 1000m swim).

5.  What sort of web sites do you frequent for "how to" videos?

2011-04-07 12:11 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove

Questions - fun!

1.  Are you using any sort of training plan or just working as you go? At first I was just trying to get a very basic fitness level going, but now I kind of am on a training plan of my own making. I try to run and bike 3x each per week, one workout with a speed interval focus, one with an incline interval focus and one longer (1 to 1.5 hours) run/bike.

2.  Do you have an idea of what kind of mileage you are running weekly? Close to 20k a week for running, maybe 30-40k for biking. When I make it to the pool I can swim 750-1000m and probably could do more but time constraints (aka gym childcare) limit me.

3.  What kind of 5k pace do you currently run? I ran my first official 5k in March and it took me 42 minutes to complete. Learned a lesson about training at a basically flat incline I have run 5k as fast as 34 minutes at home on the treadmill.

4.  Do you have any idea of how far you can swim, and what your T Pace would be (T Pace is your pace per 100m for a 1000m swim). Can definitely swim at least 1000m, but mostly breaststroke. My T Pace is approximately 3:10 for 100m.

5.  What sort of web sites do you frequent for "how to" videos? YouTube a little. I read a lot in general, here on BT and I've borrowed tons of library books and read tri magazines for how to and other info as well. I like to be informed!

2011-04-07 12:23 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove
Oh and I track all of my training multiple ways (I'm so silly!) - I use a garmin fr60 for actual tracking and an app on my iphone + dailymile for logging. I was keeping track on BT too, but fell off of that - will maybe add it back in now!
2011-04-07 1:10 PM

User image

CO
Hey Mark!  I'd like to join your mentor group.  A bit of background: I'm married, 27, no kids, and working my way through a PhD.  I did my first and only tri two years ago and loved it.  My plan to do 3 the following summer (last year) was derailed by a broken nose and a 2000-mile move across country.  Now I'm back at it again, trying to do 3 this summer instead.

Since I'm neck-deep in grad school, I'm using tri training to keep exercise and fitness as an important part of my schedule.  It may be crazy given that I am in CO where the racing scene (I've heard) is pretty serious, but also I dream of being competitive on race-day.  I have a solid background in all 3 sports - swam and ran competitively through high school, picked up mtn and road biking about 5 years ago.  My run probably needs the most work.  My husband isn't a swimmer and therefore tri's aren't his thing, and I haven't yet found any local training partners to help with motivation.  I'm hoping that I might be able to find some support and advice with your mentor group!

I'm signed up for two sprints on May 22nd and June 19th (also thinking of doing a mellow local race on May 15th).  Then I'm actually gone for the remainder of the summer for research.  Two weeks ago I switched over to a training schedule (distances from the BT program generator, combined with suggested workouts from a Runner's World training program).  I'm still trying to see how everything fits in with my schedule, so I'm open to ideas for shifting things around.

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to hearing your advice!

-Tel

2011-04-07 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Hey Mark,

I'm interested in joining the group too! My winter mentor group is continuing since our members have only just started the racing season, but I'm a total newbie and figure I can benefit from multiple mentor perspectives.

Background: I'm 33 and in the past 18 months I've lost about 40 lbs (although I'm 4 or 5 up from that right now) through nutrition & exercise, and prior to that I had dropped an additional 40! I've mostly utilized home-workouts on DVD, starting with simple ones that helped me lose the most lbs, and working my way up to a full round of P90X last spring, that built up my muscles. Somewhere along the way I got it into my head that I wanted to be a triathlete. I already cycle for transportation (on a single speed) and I was running as part of my weight loss plan. I swam competitively from ages 8-12, but by age 12 I was already 200 lbs. I don't know how tall I was then, but I'm only 5' 4" so 200 lb was *really* heavy. My heaviest weight was 235 about 7 years ago and I have recurring back problems that I mostly keep in check now with physical therapy and core strengthing (and keeping the weight off!)

2011 Races:

Race for Justice 5K on April 17th (this is my 2nd race ever)
Chain of Lakes Sprint Triathlon on May 7th
(600yd pool swim, 13 mile outdoor cycle, 2.8 mile outdoor run)
Kids Against Hunger 5K on June 18th
MN Warrior Dash on July 23
Theoretically I would like to add another Sprint Tri before the end of the season, but I'm nervous about an open swim, and I'm having surgery on July 26 so it would have to be before that.

Training: Currently I'm following a 12-week triathlon training plan that will bring me up to race day, although I spent most of the first month recovering from a hospital stay due to massive food poisoning. So let's call it a 9-week training plan! I read obsessively & look up videos online too. I've read Joe Friel's book on first triathlons cover-to-cover but the training plan I went with is one I found online and then modified to fit my schedule. I train about 8 hrs/week, including 2 swim days with a Masters class, 2 short runs & 2 cycles, one of which usually includes a ride/run brick. My goals for April are as follows and are posted on my profile: SWIM 7.5 hours or 15,000m; BIKE 10.5 hours or 150 miles; RUN 6.25 hours or 25 miles (including the April 17th 5K). Starting this weekend I will also be encorporating transition practice into my weekend workouts.

I still want to lose 10-15 lbs ultimately, but my triathlon goal is to be under 160 on race day - I'm currently hovering around 159.5 - 160. I'm eating at a *slight* deficit, but I don't want to comprimise my training so I'm keeping close tabs on nutrition. I'm eating around 1950 cals/day & I usually eat 6x/day, every 2-3 hours or so. I aim for a nutrition ratio of around 25% protein, 55% carbs, 16-20% fat from avocado, olive oil, nuts & low-fat dairy sources. I've recently started experimenting with different race day fuels (sports drink, gel, etc) to see what I want to use on race day.

I will appreciate any tips & suggestions for first timers & I get a lot of motivation from other athletes so I really enjoy this website.

2011-04-07 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mark,

I would like to join your group.  I've done 8 sprints in the last two summers so I'm not a novice.  My old mentor group has died and I really like the support of a group and love to follow others' progress.

I will post history later.

Denise

ps Queerdrummer - I did Chain of Lakes last year and will be there this year so if you have any questions about how things work there, feel free to ask.  By the way, I think it's an excellent choice for a 1st tri.

2011-04-07 3:10 PM

User image

Well we're off to a heck of a start here and it looks like we've got a lot in common amongst the group.  For the Minny-Sotans, I've spent a fair amount of time up that way as I ran a business based in Eden Prairie.  I am from the Chicago area.

For those who have not answered these questions, why don't you take a whack at them so we have sort of a baseline on everyone's general ability level.  Once we get a few more folks on board, we can sort of decide some of the things we wish to accomplish. 

One thing I think we could all help each other with is something along the lines of sharing a key workout of the week.  This period of the year should be the beginning of a build phase for you.  In this phase, specific racing workouts start to kick in, and the key measurement of workouts should be QUALITY, not quantity.  That's a favorite topic of mine with folks I train with and discussion that my coach and I have frequently.

Here are the questions:

4.  Do you have any idea of how far you can swim, and what your T Pace would be (T Pace is your pace per 100m for a 1000m swim).

2011-04-07 4:21 PM

User image

CO

Here are the questions:

I'm using the distances from the BT program generator, run/bike focused.  Still messing around with the schedule, but right now: bike monday, swim/run tuesday, bike/run wednesday, swim thursday, friday off, saturday bike, sunday soccer! (run)

Currently about 7 - 8 mi/week plus a 60 minute soccer game.  Just started running again so I'm cautiously ramping up.

Hmm....again, I'm just starting running after winter on a spin bike.  At the pace I ran Tuesday I'm at about 27 minutes for a 5k?

I could probably swim pretty far.  I don't yet have a great gauge for a T Pace.  I did 500m at about 2:00/100m this morning.

I occasionally hit up youtube for swim stroke videos. 

2011-04-07 5:06 PM

Veteran

Hi,

I am 49 years old, married, have three teenagers and run a bookkeeping business. (Yay,  light at the end of the tax season tunnel!) I have just started getting back into training after a many year hiatus.  I am a transplanted Minnesotan now living in southern cal.

I am training for a sprint triathlon at the end of July in MN that my siblings and I thought would be fun to do together.  I really need to get my act together since they are all in incredible shape and I have only just begun training.  My kids are totally into it.  My son will run, my youngest will bike and my oldest just likes to laugh at me a lot

Anyway, to answer your questions:

Right now just running and weight training and some biking trying to build up some muscles.  Read several books. I think I will start Joe Friel's Your First Triathlon unless you have any recommendations.

At this time, 3-5 miles.

Walk/jog. I don't think I have a pace yet

I can swim a few laps in the backyard pool. Swimming is not my favorite thing.  I need to get over that.

YouTube or where ever my kids say there is something interesting.

I hope I am not too much of a newbie for your group!  I am motivated and was really into weight training before kids. Oh yeah, I could stand to lose a few pounds too but I am hoping that comes with training.

Thanks!  I appreciate any input you may have!

Ellen

2011-04-07 5:33 PM

User image

Welcome Ellen!  We were all exactly where you are right now.  Some are right there with you.  We'll do everything we can to help make this first tri a success, and hopefully the first of many more.  Smile

I'm not personally familiar with that Joel Friel plan, but I am coached by Training Bible Coaching, in which Joel is a partner, and have had the pleasure of meeting him this January when he was in town for a meeting with my coach.  He's incredibly knowledgeable, and I would say if he wrote it, the plan is solid.  If you'd like to review parts of it with us and seek input, I'd be more than happy to help you customize it or modify it to your needs.  That's the thing about all programs, only you will know what you need for sure.  You have to listen to your body, good and bad, and be honest with yourself.  If you put in the work, race day will be a blast!

2011-04-07 6:34 PM

User image

Queer Drummer,

Awesome job on your weight loss.  Triathlon is a great way to keep it off, I've found, and to really re-shape your body.  The swimming, while not my favorite of the three, really pays dividends in the overall strength and fitness of your body.

Would I be correct in drawing from your post that you've not done an open water swim before?  If so, is it the crowd/thrashing that is of concern, or the concept of swimming in a lake where you can't see the bottom and all of the anxiety that comes with that?  I can relate to the latter anxiety, but it can be overcome.

In any case, let's work hard together to get you to your goal.

2011-04-07 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Hi again,

History:  I am 64, retired, married, one adult daughter, and live in north-central Minnesota.  I was a couch potato until the age of 57.  Started running using the "Couch to 5k" program.  Ran the 2007 Twin Cities Marathon.  Tore my miniscus the next year and had surgery.  My surgeon told me to run less but said sprint triathlons would be ok.  I learned the front crawl and bought a road bike.  8 sprints the last 2 summers.  I asked my surgeon if I could try a 1/2 Ironman and she said it might be a risk but go-ahead

Training:  Matt Fitzgerald 1/2 Ironman (Level 5)

Races:

Apr 30 - Duathlon - Cannon Falls,MN

May 7 - Sprint - Alexandria,MN (Chain of Lakes)

May 22 - Sprint - Albert Lea, MN (Land Between the Lakes)

Jun 5 - Olympic - Buffalo MN        

Jul 17 - 70.3 - Racine,WI

Aug 13 - Sprint - Nevis,MN (North Country)

Aug 14 - Sprint - YWCA Mpls

Aug 26 - Sprint - Baxter,MN (Lakes Country)

Sep 25 - Duathlon - Bloomington,MN (IronGirl)

Weight:  I'm 5'4" and weigh 112.  I used to weigh 160.  Got down to 135 while I was running.  Then got down to 112 when I read that you get 2 sec/mile faster for every lb. lost - great motivation.

Matt Fitzgerald 1/2 Ironman (Level 5)

15-20

5k PR pace = 8:57,Sprint PR pace = 9:28

Up to 2000 yds but really slow. T Pace 2:40/100.  I FINALLY signed up for swim lessons which start next week.

Whatever turns up when I google something.

Note:  I am really, really worried about nutrition/hydration for the 1/2.

Denise

2011-04-07 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3435162

User image

Well Denise, looks like we may have a chance to say hello in person.  I'm racing Racine 70.3 as well as a tune up to Steelhead 70.3 a few weeks later where I'm looking to go 4:50 or so.  That's a really awesome distance, and I went from sprint to 70.3 to 140.6 all in a year myself, so you can do it, and you'll be just fine.  Nutrition is definitely something to work on, but you need not freak.  You can make a lot of mistakes at 70.3 that you cannot do at 140.6.  The biggest danger is that when you kick at the 70.3, and you will, you'll start really wondering how much harder could 140.6 be????  As for your knees, you just have to be smart about how you train.  I've had 5 surgeries between my two knees and never felt better than last year.  Being lighter and stronger has helped my joints feel better than ever.  Glucosamine chondroitin doesn't hurt either.  If you'd like some in depth information on nutrition planning, the best I've ever seen is the Hammer Nutrition Guide, and it's available free on their web site.  I'm a believer in no solid foods as it will wreak havoc on your stomach.  I can go into great detail on race nutrition either in PM or if the group is interested, in this forum.  It's really important to not fall victim to some of the hype.  Get by on the fewest calories possible.  I did 200 calories per hour for 12 hours and 48 minutes and I was just fine.  I'm at the huge end of the triathlon spectrum.  Lighter athletes can get by even less.

2011-04-07 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi Mark,

I would like to join your group, this is going to be my first year of tri's. I can't wait to give it a tri, my ultimate goal is to do an Ironman in the next year or two. I am around the same size as you 6'4" 237lbs although I'm closer to 16 percent body fat. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR HOW YOU LOST THE WEIGHT.

2011 races

Ogden Half Marathon Goal under 1:50

Willard olympic tri Goal finish strong sub 2:30

Tour de Cure century Goal Have Fun

Bear lake Brawl Half Ironman Goal Finish Around 5:30

Here are the questions:

I have just been working as I go, my work schedule throws a wrench into training hear and there

I try and swim, bike, run around 2 to 3 times a week.

Lately I am all over the place from 6 to 16 miles a week.

I am around a 25 minute 5k

I am close to 1:30 per 100m I believe I will have to check my logs and change if it is off

This site, bicycle.com, youtube

Edited by garrunning 2011-04-07 9:53 PM

2011-04-07 10:45 PM

User image

Regular

I would love to be a part of this group! I am pretty much a newbie.  I am 27 years old, mom of two, work full-time, so I typically end up in the gym to work out a lot (2 reasons, a. the kids, b. AZ can be hot). I've done one sprint tri in 2009, scattered 5k's, and the PF Chang's 1/2 in January of 2010. My fitness kind of fell off the map in 2010 due to working a ton. I'm beyond ready to jump back in to things. I've been running on and off the last month.

Here are the questions:

I'm a training plan kind of person.. I used the 16 wk balanced for my first Tri.. Let me shop around tonight, and I'll commit to a plan tonight.

about 27 minutes

Swimming is my area of least knowledge.. I taught myself to swim for my first Tri. I used a lot of YouTube. Borrowed my friend's pool for the first month (because I didn't want to look like a drowning chicken in public! which, believe me ... I did) I'm pretty comfortable in the water now. I love it in fact.. I haven't even been in the pool in months.. I imagine I'm quite slow at this point.

Most of my limited knowledge has come from BT. I don't really even know that many endurance athletes, so I could certainly use advice and knowlege as I've kind of gone at this solo so far.

TriMagazine, Active.com for some other info here and there.

I'll post some better answers T time, training plan, etc shortly.. My "other half" just came home which means I can head to the gym to swim

2011-04-08 1:47 AM

hi mark i would like to join your mentor group,i am a married father of 3 from wales uk i am currently training for a duathlon in may and a tri in june ..my ultimate goal is to complete ironman wales in 2012 will post answers to questions later . i am currently not following any training plan
2011-04-08 4:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Sykesville, MD

Mark -

Great bio, and congrats on all of your accomplishments! I joined BT last weekend in search of support and a strong knowledge base as I train for my first triathlon. I have never run, swam, or biked competitively before, but I have always been in very good fitness shape - currently about 155 lbs. and 8-9% BF.

No triathlons for me before, but I was sold after watching my wife train for the Columbia, MD IronGirl last August. I loved everything about the event, competition, training... just everything. As soon as it opened, I signed up for the Columbia Triathlon set for 5/22 - olympic distance. It will be my first of any kind!

I have been training for the tri since the end of January using bland, random plans I found online for free - even one from BT. Prior to the end of January, I have regularly worked out for 8 or so years. I have uploaded a training log, and I have been following it pretty closely since I joined last week - even made it through the 3050yd. swim yesterday... definitely my most difficult swim yet since I never really swam before.

I would love any advice you can offer if there is room in this mentoring group. I have lofty goals! I will test my ability in the Columbia Tri and then follow it up with another 1-2 events in the summer possibly. Then, I would like to transition my training to a HOM. Who knows after that?

I do have a hard time finding time to train... definitely my biggest obstacle. My wife and I are both middle school teachers, and we have two girls, 4 and 7. I also work a 2nd job at a local gym. The 2nd job is a huge asset because I have a key and can come and go as I please. Therefore, I typically work out at 4:30am and then after school at 3:45pm until about 5pm. It's just hard to do anything outside at 4:30am!

Anyway... let me know what you think. I would love the opportunity to pick your brain about race day prep, equipment, nutrition on race day, and any evaluation you could provide in terms of my training. I am following a BT Olympic program, so it can't be that bad!

Thanks Mark. I look forward to working with you!

2011-04-08 5:56 AM

User image

Subject: Key Workouts This Weekend

First, welcome to the newest 4 members of the crew:

SYR44, KelVYND, +charged, and garunning. Glad to have you guys aboard.  Our group is even international now, I will try to see if we can have a translator for our brother in the U.K.!

Down to Business.  I will ask you all a lot of questions, and I will also try to tell you why I am asking.  I believe that the hard part about triathlon is not race day, it's the training.  If you have to work on getting "up" for a race, then I don't know how you'll put your all into the training.  It's hard to focus on each day's goal and what you need to get out of it.  Very hard.  Even harder if you're training 2x daily to maximize both workouts, and get some recovery in between while you're working or chasing kids.  I have two little ones and run a company, so know the challenge.

The goal of this question is to make you think for a few moments today about your key workout this weekend.  This time of the season when we're approaching our races is typically called build when you're doing the longer races.  Your base is in place.  You can trudge through base workouts without much thought, but you MUST focus during this phase to maximize the quality, particularly those of you with challenging schedules that limit you or cause you to miss workouts.

Q: WHAT IS YOUR KEY WORKOUT(S) THIS WEEKEND AND HOW WILL YOU APPROACH THESE?

MY ANSWER: Weekend Schedule:

SAT: 7:30-9AM Masters Swim Practice (typically 4500m this time of year) 9:10 to 10:10- (1) hour run with 45 minutes below 8 min pace steady.

Sun: 2:45:00 on the bike, mindless, nothing higher than Zone 2 HR.

Because I am finishing a rest week and only have 8.5 hours total workout for the week (14.5-15 has been average last 8 weeks with no days off) it is essential to me mentally to hit both of Saturday's workouts very hard.  I will treat them like one KEY workout.  At swimming my goal is to maintain my swim progress on associating fast to the word smooth, not fighting the water on my pull stroke, and reaching from the hips.  I will recite these things to myself as I work through each set, and my physical key will be to keep my head neutral which will keep my legs bouyant.  On the run, this is not a particularly hard run for me, especially since my legs are very fresh after the lack of any track work this week, but 8 minute pace was my race pace for 1/2 marathons last year, and it is mentally important to me to be able to work below that pace for long periods of time as it means that I have progressed substantially and am on target to hit my race goals for this year.  I will focus on my foot cadence and keep my rpms in the high 80's during that set the entire time.  I will count my footstrokes in my head at least once a mile and not rely solely on the Garmin to do the work, that's mentally lazy.

Your answers need not be that detailed if you don't think technically about your workouts, but I want you to think about them, set a goal for the workout, have a purpose, THEN EXECUTE IT!  If you'll practice this, it makes the training fly by because you are in the moment.

2011-04-08 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Mark,

Actually, I noticed right away that you were doing Racine and then when I saw Queerdrummer was doing Chain of Lakes, I decided those were signs I should join this group.

How do you decide what your key workout is?

Denise

ps. You certainly are an early riser.

2011-04-08 8:13 AM

User image

I got a late start today as I was trying to avoid waking up my 7 year old.  My wife sets the alarm for 4 AM every morning so she can get her morning workout in. 

Deciding on a key workout is as much a personal thing as anything else.  My reasons for selecting my workouts this weekend is that it's the only time I get to go long this week, and that's mentally challenging to me to have all those short/easy workouts.  I want to feel GREAT afterwards, and know that I've accomplished something, so I chose to treat those as one big block.  If you are struggling with a sport, then that sport's workout may be a key for you this week.  If you have one long one, maybe that's the reason.  Do not get the inference that each of the other workouts are not important.  There should be a focus to each of them.  This one is just one that you want to kick and propel yourself forward with.  Sometimes it's a real challenging workout like a track workout that you just need to bust through with all you have.  It could be almost any reason.

I hope that helps.  Remember, the muscle that seems to take the longest to train is the one between your ears.

2011-04-08 8:50 AM

User image

CO

I like the idea of a key workout during the week.  I think that would help make training feel more purposeful.

This weekend I am going for a long ride Saturday, soccer game on Sunday.  Neither feel 'key' to me, except in that I am trying to build my biking base with the Saturday ride. 

A question I've been mulling over- I'm at the tail end of my second week of tri training (I worked out all winter, just not on a schedule).  I'm doing 2x day workouts for the first time, three days a week.  So far it's great!  However I've been just working through a baseline phase- increasing swim distances but not pushing for speed, increasing run distances but not including any intervals or hills.  I figured my muscles needed to get used to swimming and running again before I made any hard demands.  Do you think is this the most effective way to get going?  Would it be better to take another week for building a baseline, or is it ok to start incorporating some more intense workouts?

In general, I wouldn't getting some help in putting together a better, more effective training plan.

2011-04-08 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Sykesville, MD

Hi Mark. Thanks for the reply, and "welcome" to all the other new members like me. Based on your last post, Mark, am I quite satisfed that I joined your group for mentoring! Good stuff!

My Weekend Plan:

4/9 - 40 min. run - 5 min. WU; 8x1min. intervals at "11" on the treadmill w/ 2 min. RI; 5 min. CD

This is an early morning workout because I open my local gym at 6am and work until 12pm. I will complete this run indoors at the gym at 4:30am. I will focus on keeping an even pace and effective posture during the sprints.

4/10 (am) - 40 min. "breakthrough" run as the training log calls it. I will complete this early and follow-up with 45min. of strength training.

This workout will also be done early - approx. 6am- 8am because of other obligations. I will try to run outdoors, but I find it difficult to to the intervals on roads and not a track. Will try to find a track soon! As for the strength training, it has been the hardest for me to give up since I started the tri training. I put on significant muscle in the past 6 years or so, and it was hard for me to switch up my training mentality completely and lose the weight. I still try to fit in core workouts, circuit training, plyometrics, and some heavy days when I can.

4/10 (pm) - up to 4hr. "flex time" ride. Training log says I ride 1hr. or up to 4hr. Depends on how I feel.

This will be a Zone 1-2 ride on a relatively flat course. I will focus on keeping a consistent pace and getting comfortable on the bike again, since I have only been out once this spring. My first tri is 3 miles from where I live, so I will get out on the bike/run courses often. I will likely do this ride on the course, but at a much slower pace.

Hope this is a decent approach for my weekend workouts. Thanks, Mark, for helping me get in the mindset for the weekend. Still have to get through a 2200yd swim today first!

- Brian

2011-04-08 9:01 AM

User image

I would like to join in also!  My name is Jacqui and I'm a 47-year-old tri newbie.  I've been a runner for about a year and a half and in that time went from running my first 5k to completing one full marathon and about 6 or so half marathons.  

I have had knee issues and am just coming back from about 2-1/2 months off of running due to runner's knee and tendonitis.  In about a month's time I've worked myself up to half marathon distance and ran one last weekend and will lead a pace group at a half next Saturday.  I do not have my speed back so need to work on that.

I never considered a triathlon until getting hurt in January.  I started riding an exercise bike for cross-training and then did some pool running.  A friend then suggested doing a tri and I thought it would be a great challenge since I am very competitive with myself and love a new challenge.  I signed up for a sprint tri on September 10, although if training goes well I might do a tri in August.

I bought a hybrid bike in early March so am working on riding about 3 times per week.  I have not ridden in ages but feel pretty comfortable so far.

Swimming will be my biggest challenge.  I have not swam since I was a kid and up until a month ago I was afraid to put my head underwater.  I bought the Total Immersion book and DVD and am trying to re-learn how to swim.  I have overcome my fear of putting my head under and am doing a VERY slow and ugly crawl stroke.  (Just got my first case of swimmer's ear this week as well!)  I need to spend time in the pool several times a week to work on technique.

I am also very interested in nutrition.  Two years ago I lost about 85 pounds and have kept it off with my running.  I still struggle with occasional over-eating but am fairly small right now.  I consider myself "skinny fat" so I do have maybe up to 10 pounds of fat that I'd be happy to get rid of!

Sorry for such a long intro!  I'll answer the questions that were previously posted...

I have not committed to a training plan yet as I am trying to build up my endurance in all 3 sports.  My plan was to start official training in May -- or is that a mistake?  I do want to keep my running mileage probably a little higher than sprint tri level as I have several half marathons on the schedule and may want to do a fall marathon.  I am not sure how to revise a sprint plan to include the extra running days and miles.

I am running about 20-30 miles per week now and would like to at least keep it at this level.  Due to the knee issues I only run 3 or maybe 4 times per week.

My PR is 25:00 in December.  Right now I can run about a 27:00 5k but need to build my speed back up.  My goal is to break a 24:00 5k in the fall.

4.  Do you have any idea of how far you can swim, and what your T Pace would be (T Pace is your pace per 100m for a 1000m swim).

I can very poorly swim 100 yards without stopping.  Swimming is my huge weakness.

I haven't watched many "how to" videos except a few on swimming technique.

I am excited to get started!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Mark's Madness Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 30