BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-08-15 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3287331

Regular
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full

Nice blog entry Andy! Crossing the finish line at Kona, what a feeling that must of been! Reading it was like pulling into a gas station of good feelings and filling up with joy and excitement! I tried to enter a comment but you have to have a blog to do so? Anyways, it wouldn't let me.

I have a question...I have a sprint tri on Wednesday, the T-Rex Tri, and it's held in the afternoon; is there any nutritional tips or advice to pass on? It's at 6pm and I'm wondering what strategy folks use to eat when getting ready for a late event. I'll probably post this question on the main forum, but I wanted to post it here first.

2011-08-15 11:05 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I would try and eat a normal breakfast and lunch on Wendesday and then maybe a snack around 4:00pm or so to top of your tanks. Not alot of fats, but some good carbs and protein and some fiber. I haven't ever done a race that starts at night but if you have a prerace routine you do for morning races (I like to drink some UltraGen with prerace and have a bagel with peanut butter about 2 hours before the race), you can do the same for this race. Also make sure you are nice and hydrated particularly if its a hot day.

Racing hungry isn't a good idea, just as racing on a full stomach isn't a good idea so try and get a happy medium.

Hope that helps and good luck on Wendesday.

Andy
2011-08-16 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3645137

Regular
Thanks Andy, this is helpful and much appreciated!
2011-08-16 4:18 PM

hi friends.  it's been a while.  i think i've diagnosed myself with tri-depression.  i have what was supposed to be my "a" race on sunday, and just haven't logged the training time i needed to in order to really give it my all.  an injury prevented me from riding for a few weeks, then i was reassigned at my job and had to figure out my training schedule with entirely new work hours...stuff just gets in the way sometimes. 

but, i notice i'm being really hard on myself, and thinking thoughts like i shouldn't even go to the race because i'll be so slow and disappointed in myself afterward.  even though the conditions were totally out of my hands at musselman, going nearly an hour slower than i raced last season really bummed me out.  i'm trying to get in the mindset i was in last year: just finish and enjoy the scenery and experience.  but for whatever reason, it's really hard this time around.  meh.  think some good thoughts for me this sunday, please.Undecided

2011-08-16 10:19 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Iron Diva
Good luck and positive thoughts for Sunday! It can be hard sometimes when life gets in the way and messes up your best laid plans. That is when it is best to step back and try and look at the big picture. You can't do anything at this point about the injury or the missed training. Its OK! We aren't professionals, we don't put food on the table based on our performance. We all got into this sport because it was rewarding, challenging, and fun! So now you go into Sunday and it is what it is. I have had a few of those races this year thanks to my Plantar Facitis, where I have had to look myself in the mirror and say the goals I had for this race a few months back just aren't realistic anymore. In races like these I tend to reaffirm the things I enjoy most about the sport. I enjoy overcoming challenges and seeing the journey to its end, I enjoy the feeling and atmosphere of race morning and sharing the good karma with my competitors, I love the adrenaline rush I get moments before the start, and I love the positive vibe you get from your fellow triathlete, friends, and spectators as I come down the home stretch. In the races where I let the time goal go and just try and give my best for the conditions on that day, there is no pressure and the joy of just competing comes rushing back. Those races are good for the physci but sometimes you will also be pleasently shocked by the results. My HIM PR was on one of those days (13 days after the Boston Marathon).

So stay in the moment, encourage those around you, thank the volunteers, and smile. Take the pressure off and enjoy doing something that most people are affraid to even try. As they say in NASCAR, sometimes you have to slow down in order to go fast.

Andy
2011-08-18 2:56 PM
in reply to: #3646285

Regular

Hi ID!

Nice to hear from you again, although I wish it were in better spirits! I'll leave the advice giving to the more experienced members, but I will say a prayer for you, I have a little experience in that! Oh, and I'll think happy thoughts as well!

2011-08-20 10:17 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Good luck ID. One week to Ironman Canada for me. I flew out to Vancouver and flying over the Canadian Rockies seeing all the snow covered peaks in AUgust was a bit intimidating. These are real mountains I'm going to be seeing next Sunday, which is somewhat intimidating but and the same time very exhillerating. Did a run today with a nice 750 downhill to start off, but of course it was out and back so what goes down must come back up!

Having fun and trying to do the tourist thing to keep the nerves in check. BTW Vancouver is an amazingly beautiful and scenic city.

Andy
2011-08-21 8:03 AM

Regular

Just checking in...IRONMAN CANADA IN ONE WEEK!!! Lol, Andy I am excited for you, I feel myself getting a tad tense just thinking about it. Good luck, good luck, good luck!

I did the T-Rex Sprint Wednesday, an afternoon event. I don't think body was prepared for that, as soon as the man said "Go!" to our wave, leg cramped up before I even took a stroke! So I relied on my arms mostly in the swim; fortunately the temperature was just cool enough to allow wetsuits. My timing chip fell off in T1, as I was taking off my wetsuit, and didn't realize it; I have no official run data for the rest of my event. I did have my Garmin on for the run and was able to personally record that; I was pleased to record a negative split, although it retrospect it was going to be hard not too with my legs shot for the first mile and still getting it together for the second. The bike data I established is approximate but I gave good effort and maintained a good focus.

Apart from the chip incident, I was pleased with the event; not only am I slowly gaining fitness, but mentally I am improving too. I am beginning to FEEL like a triathlete, not just some guy enjoying a fantasy.

I have yet to get my race report together for the ILON tri, I never have the time to do it! If anyone is interested, they are more than welcome to check my training logs; I keep them as updated as possible.

I am 4 weeks away from my first Oly, and I am confident that if I keep my nose to the grindstone with regards to training it will be a successful debut for me at that distance. Of course life can -and will- get in the way; I need to keep focused.

Hope everyone is having fun!

2011-08-25 3:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA

Good Luck with Ironman Canada this weekend Andy.  Enjoy the race.

I was going to be doing the Annapolis 10 Miler this weekend.    The race just got canceled due to Hurricane Irene. Bummer.

Edited by hip82 2011-08-25 3:18 PM
2011-08-28 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was looking at Ironman Live Ironman Canada coverage, and checked on Andy.  He's out of the water in 1:18.  Nice job!   Keep it up!

Also heard that is was going to be unseasonably warm, about 85-95.  I'll be doing a 2 hour ride in a little while to keep you company in spirit. 

2011-08-29 8:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on another Ironman finish Andy!  Can't wait to read your race report. 

2011-08-30 9:57 AM

Regular
Looking forward to hearing about your IM Canada Race as well Andy, way to go! In your honor I did a brick of THIRTY THREE MILES (emphasis mine, lol), which is my longest brick yet. Better get used to them if I'm going to go distances you do Andy! That was Sunday and I am pleased to notice my legs feel pretty good today (Tuesday) I think I'm gaining fitness!
2011-08-30 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Thanks everyone! I survived Ironman Canada and we got home to Philly last night/ this morning. OMG I have never been so sore in my life. Sitting on a plane for 8 hours is not the way to recover from an Ironman. I had one extremely rough bike leg, it was 94 degrees, two 1100 foot climbs in the second half, I couldn't keep any of my nutrion down and could only take fruit and water at aid stations from 40 miles on, they ran out of water for 3 of the last 4 aid stations on the bike, a big time head wind on the way back in, and then after Special needs I couldn't get my left shoe clipped in so i got to do the last 50 miles unclipped.
But I survived it and actually picked up close to 300 spots on the marathon despite running my second slowest marathon ever. Over 500 people DNFed it was a brutal day. 14:14:19 wasn't exactly what I was shooting for but given the circumstances I am very happy, especially sice my family got to be there and see me finish. They announced that I was a 6x Ironman Finisher and listed all the IMs I had done as i came to the line which was very cool.
You never know what is going to happen in an Ironman. My weakest event, I did best at and the area I was far and away most prepared for turned into a major struggle. But finishing has its own rewards, especially on a day when I really had to dig deep just to get home.

Andy
2011-08-30 7:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Andy - I think you've achieved uberIronman status.  I remember your report from Ironman UK where you rode for miles and miles on a busted skewer.  Ok - the IMCa hills are tough enough, throw in bike issues and no water, with heat -  I think I would have found it very unlikely to hear my name called for the 6th time.  Great job.  Welcome home.

2011-08-31 11:17 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Well the race report took longer than the race itself, but I finally got it done. Hopefully everyone can learn from my mistakes and that gels can actually go bad. Please don't make that mistake yourself.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Andy
2011-09-04 7:07 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
First weekend post ironman, so now I have to take care of the stuff I've been putting off all summer...my yard work. Chopped down the out of control jungle in my front yard and pulled some unwanted plants out. Dug out 5-6 roots for bushes and zombie trees (I had a birch tree die from the wevels but it keeps popping back out of the ground in various spots. Had to dig out the roots which spidered out from one plant to the others. Over 5 hours of digging in the dirt, pulling weeds and chopping down trees and an out of control rose bush. Hope everyone is having a good holiday weekend.

One more "race" this year - Rev 3 Anderson South Carolina in October. Should try and turn the switch back on next week.

Andy

2011-09-04 11:55 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Sometimes the body can amaze you. I was planning on taking the night off and watch the NASCAR race but the race was delayed and finally postponed for rain wasting my whole evening, so I went to relieved some of that frutration on the trainer. Planned on 40 minutes but noticed i was flying so I decide to go for a 40K flat trainer ride. Ended up in 1:02:07 a hair under 24 MPH average. Why can't I race half as good as I train?
But one week after a hard ironman my legs seem to be in great shape. I need one good race this year to pump up my confidence again.

Granted there is a huge difference between 40K dead flat and straight stand alone time trial and an 180K death ride up 5-6 thousand feet after a 2.4 mile swim with a marathon waiting for after, but I can put together a monster effort in training and I haven't come through with the same performance on race day in a while.

I need to find a local sprint or Olympic to end of the year of on a high note!

Andy

2011-09-05 6:49 AM

Regular

Grats once again Andy! Good work, good write up. Write ups...that will be my new years resolution, finish my write ups!

Your experience is encouraging, but I've been reading about other folks who have had a far tougher road than you and I, have you read about Matty Long? He is a NYFD guy, a strong athlete/triathlete who was mauled by a bus back in '05 and should have died at the scene. He didn't, and I'm sure a part of that was his multisport fitness, and though he's had a hell of a road back from colostomy bag and wheelchair to crutches to cane, within three years he ran the NYC marathon. To read about him brings tears to my eyes; suddenly all my aches and pains and poor attitude pale in comparison. How do I dare allow a little pain or a less than happy mood alter my whole day? I feel blessed.

If anyone ever has one of those doldrum days, there is a video up of him and his story at Runner's World, google search "Matty Long", it will definitely put things into perspective.

2011-09-07 10:49 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
ten days post Ironman and I'm actually feeling pretty good. Got 1 more race this year on tap Rev 3 South Carolina on OCt 9. Not sure if I'm doing the HIM or OLY yet (had signed up to do both but they had to scale back to 1 day because of the Clemson-BC football game on Saturday Oct 8.

I also finally was able to donate blood and not worry about messing up my racing/training since the Ironman is behind me.
The weather since I got back from Canada has been crazy. Haven't seen the sun in almost a week,but it did actually stop raining long enough for me to get in a run. Of course it downpoured on my son's cross country race about 5 minutes into it this afternoon, but at least i got to see that in the rain. Great day!
2011-09-10 4:27 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Good luck to Tom at the Nations Tri tommorrow morning! Go get some!! Should have clear skies and a nice current!
2011-09-11 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3680423

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks - A "nice current"  is quite an understatement.  They cancelled the swim (rightly so) due to the unprecented rains we've had this week from Tropical Storm Lee.  The Potomac River current for race morning morning was projected to 10-15 times normal, not to mention a lot of debris and bacteria in the water.  While I'm disappointed, I couldn't swim, it was the right call. 

According to my Garmin, I had my best ever ride/run.  My Garmin said I averaged 20.3 mph!  A huge improvement for me as my previous best was 18.1 mph for a sprint and 17.4 for this race.  Can't wait to see the official results.  Garmin said my run pace averaged 10:07, and if that holds, that's a 23 second improvement for me since last time.  I think just one month on the Computrainer has already given me some dramatic improvements.  Even with the unofficial time I'm really happy with the results.

Keep training and shooting for higher goals!

2011-09-13 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, the 20.3 ended up being 20.1mph for the bike, but I'm very happy with my bike, and still in disbelief.

The run ended up as a 9:47.  I was helped by distance being short I think.

My race report is up.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=164765

2011-09-13 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Way to go Tom!

Last few workouts for me this week have really be ugly. An hours bike last night and a typical Tuesday run this afternoon just felt rotten. No rotten as in sick but just felt like 1) I was running and biking in mud and 2) I wasn't getting anywhere, and 3) I was sweating up a storm and fizzling out.

Hope I can break ou of this little funk tonight.

About 3.5 weeks to my season finale At Rev 3 South Carolina, and I'm still trying to figure out what my next adventure will be for 2012. Any suggestions?

Andy
2011-09-13 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3684272

Regular
Grats on your event, Hip! Too bad the swim was cancelled, I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. I couldn't access your race report btw, I kept getting booted out of my account and having to relog in.
2011-09-13 9:17 PM

Regular

Checking in...my last race of the year is this Sunday, my first Oly! Things were going rather well for me training-wise until I hurt my back a few days ago! It happened later in the day after I came back from a 24/6 brick; perhaps my core is not fit enough for that volume/distance yet? Anyways, that was Saturday and it's still bothering me. I don't think I'll lose fitness between now and the race, and I'm not down about it, but I would like to finish my training strong.

I downloaded a metronome app for my phone to aid my pacing and it really helps; I can't believe how much time I spend daydreaming out there. Daydreaming is a real pace slower! I also didn't realize how I would lengthen my stride every now and then; I would be running along feeling good but notice my pace isn't jiving with the metronome. Sure enough, my stride had lengthened without the frequency staying the same.

I mentioned earlier looking into Chi-running. Since then, I've also looked into Evolution running and between the two have picked up a lot of pointers. As a matter of fact, between the pointers and the metronome I cut 5 minutes off my fastest time at 6.4 miles, or should I say, least slowest time! So my current 'good' pace is 11:33 for that distance but I feel good about my form and fitness; after that brick I wasn't very sore at all -minus the back- and recovered faster than with any other brick I have done. I'm looking forward to more progress! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14