BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3462722

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
shake-n-bake - 2011-04-23 9:05 PM

kenj - 2011-04-23 7:18 AM

shake-n-bake - 2011-04-22 5:48 PM

Hope everyone is doing well. Question for our members regarding nutrition..I'm currently holding at 185...Would like to drop 15 o 20 pounds..My diet is very clean but I'm lost on what else to do to get this fat off. Current BF % around 16 percent..

Happy Easter to all..

Have you been logging your food/beverage intake?  Very clean could also mean not enough.  Liquid calories also have a way of sneaking in there and I am not just talking about adult beverages.  Sports drinks and juices have a lot of sugar calories that don't always get included. 

You have done great so far! 

I log my food intake through Livestrong..For the most part all liquid intake is water I don't drink soda and have a sport drink here and there... My intake yesterday was

Cals
Fat
61 g
Cholesterol
35 mg
Sodium
3167 mg
Carbs
361 g
Fiber
48 g
Protein
152 g
Sugars
89 g

Consisted of the following
Greek Yogurt,Granny Smith Apple,Baby carrots,Spicy Pepper Hummus,Plain granola,Cliff Bar,Whole Grain Brown Rice, Tofu,Chick Peas, Mushrooms,Onions, Vega Sport Protein Shake,Chick-fil-a Chicken Biscuit and hashbrown(This is not an everyday choice)

If you want more details I will be glad to give. I recently increased my calorie intake a day thinking that I wasn't getting enough with the training. But I have not lost any weight after doing this. I guess I haven't found the magic balance.. Hope this helps..

Ran to my son's soccer game today for my workout.... 11 miles in 1:42/ 9:18 min/mile average

I will have to think about this one, maybe even reach out to a nutritionist  friend.  Obviously no low hanging fruit to fix it fast!  Nice work!

2011-04-24 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3463027

User image

Veteran
Georgia
GoGoGo - 2011-04-24 8:56 AM

Happy Easter Morning.  Just got back from my run, did a 10.6k, as I did my long run Friday.

Got outside & biked yesterday, for the 1st time in 2011.  Had a blast, forgot what it was like.  Took the hybrid, hopefully get out on my roadie this week.

Have a good day, everyone...

Happy Easter...Good job getting up and running.Going to try a ride in a little while to work off this Easter Lunch...

2011-04-24 6:06 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

After losing a couple of hundred pounds, nutrition has become my fourth segement of triathlon, injury prevention is fifth, positive mental attitude is sixth.

I have logged all my food since 2006, post cancer.  As weight loss got harder, I got more precise. 

I had my baseline metabolism measured scientifically at the local university last fall.  It was about 2600.  The advice I was given is to cut that by 500 cals a day...over a week that's 3500 cals = one pound.  Avoid more than that. You risk putting yourself in starvation mode.

Eat more at breakfast, a moderate lunch, less at dinner plus two snacks.    My "snacks" have become workout fuel.

Don't eat late at night.

Coffee and tea are good...they boost metabolism.  Green tea is best, or so they say.  I know I like it and it really makes me warm up.  

There are some great articles out there on simple things to do that can trim off the last few pounds. I'll look for something.

2011-04-25 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Flat tire?

Got up this morning for a bike ride and my rear tire was flat. What was weird is I just did some bike maintenance yesterday and the tire pressure was right on the money. My last ride was Friday. My only thought is the valve may have gotten stuck open somehow.

PS Anyone else over eat this weekend?

Edited by acv 2011-04-25 7:47 AM
2011-04-25 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3463921

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-04-25 8:41 AM

Flat tire?

Got up this morning for a bike ride and my rear tire was flat. What was weird is I just did some bike maintenance yesterday and the tire pressure was right on the money. My last ride was Friday. My only thought is the valve may have gotten stuck open somehow.

Possibly the valve!  Pump it up and see if it holds!

Over ate a little, but behaved for the most part.

Edited by kenj 2011-04-25 7:48 AM
2011-04-25 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3463486

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-04-24 7:06 PM

After losing a couple of hundred pounds, nutrition has become my fourth segement of triathlon, injury prevention is fifth, positive mental attitude is sixth.

I have logged all my food since 2006, post cancer.  As weight loss got harder, I got more precise. 

I had my baseline metabolism measured scientifically at the local university last fall.  It was about 2600.  The advice I was given is to cut that by 500 cals a day...over a week that's 3500 cals = one pound.  Avoid more than that. You risk putting yourself in starvation mode.

Eat more at breakfast, a moderate lunch, less at dinner plus two snacks.    My "snacks" have become workout fuel.

Don't eat late at night.

Coffee and tea are good...they boost metabolism.  Green tea is best, or so they say.  I know I like it and it really makes me warm up.  

There are some great articles out there on simple things to do that can trim off the last few pounds. I'll look for something.

Good info Scott! 

I also use Livestrong and find it one of the easier sites to log nutrition on. 

What are your thoughts on the calorie values they place on the different training and how do you adjust for that to acheive your optimum calorie deficit?

One other thought I had was on hydration; I find that when I am at full training mode, like now, I need to almost double the suggested 8 X's 8 oz glasses a day.  Otherwise I just feel off.

2011-04-25 7:56 AM
in reply to: #3463944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
kenj - 2011-04-25 7:52 AM
IceManScott - 2011-04-24 7:06 PM

Don't eat late at night.

Good info Scott! 

I also use Livestrong and find it one of the easier sites to log nutrition on. 

What are your thoughts on the calorie values they place on the different training and how do you adjust for that to acheive your optimum calorie deficit?

One other thought I had was on hydration; I find that when I am at full training mode, like now, I need to almost double the suggested 8 X's 8 oz glasses a day.  Otherwise I just feel off.

I have a Power Tap so I get a precise measure of calories on the bike and just adjust that on LiveSTRONG to match.  Otherwise, I usually round down on LiveSTRONG's estimates on run and swim, about 15% seems right based on what other estimates of time/calorie burn I've seen.  Not exactly but in the ball park.  Under rather than over.  Frankly I never eat as much as they want.  Some Saturdays I get 4500 to 5000 calories ....  Who could?

2011-04-25 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3463934

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2011-04-25 8:48 AM
acv - 2011-04-25 8:41 AM

Flat tire?

Possibly the valve!  Pump it up and see if it holds!

Over ate a little, but behaved for the most part.

Thats the plan for when I get home. I was hoping to get a bike ride in this morning but went out fo rthe run instead.

2011-04-25 8:18 AM
in reply to: #3462722

User image

Regular
Connecticut
shake-n-bake - 2011-04-23 9:05 PM

kenj - 2011-04-23 7:18 AM

shake-n-bake - 2011-04-22 5:48 PM

Hope everyone is doing well. Question for our members regarding nutrition..I'm currently holding at 185...Would like to drop 15 o 20 pounds..My diet is very clean but I'm lost on what else to do to get this fat off. Current BF % around 16 percent..

Happy Easter to all..

Have you been logging your food/beverage intake?  Very clean could also mean not enough.  Liquid calories also have a way of sneaking in there and I am not just talking about adult beverages.  Sports drinks and juices have a lot of sugar calories that don't always get included. 

You have done great so far! 

I log my food intake through Livestrong..For the most part all liquid intake is water I don't drink soda and have a sport drink here and there... My intake yesterday was

Cals
Fat
61 g
Cholesterol
35 mg
Sodium
3167 mg
Carbs
361 g
Fiber
48 g
Protein
152 g
Sugars
89 g

Consisted of the following
Greek Yogurt,Granny Smith Apple,Baby carrots,Spicy Pepper Hummus,Plain granola,Cliff Bar,Whole Grain Brown Rice, Tofu,Chick Peas, Mushrooms,Onions, Vega Sport Protein Shake,Chick-fil-a Chicken Biscuit and hashbrown(This is not an everyday choice)

If you want more details I will be glad to give. I recently increased my calorie intake a day thinking that I wasn't getting enough with the training. But I have not lost any weight after doing this. I guess I haven't found the magic balance.. Hope this helps..

Ran to my son's soccer game today for my workout.... 11 miles in 1:42/ 9:18 min/mile average

My two cents: Are you weighing or eyeballing your portions.  Get out a food scale and weigh.  I had always figured a serving of chicken was a whole breast... turns out a serving is ONLY 1/3 to 1/2 of a breast.  I had a lot of eye openers when I started weighing.  There were a lot of extra calories creeping in where I had no idea.

Edited by scraver 2011-04-25 8:18 AM
2011-04-25 8:21 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut
I ran yesterday morning before the holiday festivities.  (where I proceeded to eat too much... but oh well)  I did my four mile route WITH my 30 lb son in his jogging stroller.  I think running with a jogging stroller should go in its own category of exercise... "bike", "swim", "run", "run with heavy toddler".  My son really seems to love it which is handy.  He was happy the whole time... Talking and counting things and squealing with excitement at the birds and squirrels.  I am hoping to make it a weekend routine.
2011-04-25 8:49 AM
in reply to: #3464011

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

scraver - 2011-04-25 9:21 AM I ran yesterday morning before the holiday festivities.  (where I proceeded to eat too much... but oh well)  I did my four mile route WITH my 30 lb son in his jogging stroller.  I think running with a jogging stroller should go in its own category of exercise... "bike", "swim", "run", "run with heavy toddler".  My son really seems to love it which is handy.  He was happy the whole time... Talking and counting things and squealing with excitement at the birds and squirrels.  I am hoping to make it a weekend routine.

I've run a lot with a baby stroller and it really is a workout. It does kill your stride a little and my little guy is getting big so I haven't done it in a while.

2011-04-25 9:35 AM
in reply to: #3464011

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scraver - 2011-04-25 9:21 AM I ran yesterday morning before the holiday festivities.  (where I proceeded to eat too much... but oh well)  I did my four mile route WITH my 30 lb son in his jogging stroller.  I think running with a jogging stroller should go in its own category of exercise... "bike", "swim", "run", "run with heavy toddler".  My son really seems to love it which is handy.  He was happy the whole time... Talking and counting things and squealing with excitement at the birds and squirrels.  I am hoping to make it a weekend routine.

I have never tried it, but I have to beleive that pushing the stroller has to help your running.  Similar to hill repeats! 
2011-04-25 4:06 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Speaking of strollers, we just snagged one of these on CraigsList for a GREAT price with all the special attachments for a jogging stroller or bike trailer, very excited!

I was supposed to ride yesterday but honestly should have told my coach to give me the day off. The kids got up the first time at 5 and we told them it was still the middle of the night. Then we got back to sleep until the luxurious hour of 6:15. Started the day with checking out what the big rabbit left in the baskets and an egg hunt. Started on the meal and had friends over to celebrate. Did a little too much celebrating and by 9pm I already had a hangover. I am such a cheap date!

The plan is to run tonight while our oldest daughter as at swim team practice, her very first meet is this Saturday!

2011-04-25 8:10 PM
in reply to: #3465186

User image

Regular
Connecticut
KeriKadi - 2011-04-25 5:06 PM

Speaking of strollers, we just snagged one of these on CraigsList for a GREAT price with all the special attachments for a jogging stroller or bike trailer, very excited!

I was supposed to ride yesterday but honestly should have told my coach to give me the day off. The kids got up the first time at 5 and we told them it was still the middle of the night. Then we got back to sleep until the luxurious hour of 6:15. Started the day with checking out what the big rabbit left in the baskets and an egg hunt. Started on the meal and had friends over to celebrate. Did a little too much celebrating and by 9pm I already had a hangover. I am such a cheap date!

The plan is to run tonight while our oldest daughter as at swim team practice, her very first meet is this Saturday!

THAT stroller is awesome.  Hubby wanted to get a thingy like that for his bike... but the $ are an issue.  I got my jogger on Craig's list for $25.  Worth every penny.

I think down hills are harder than up.

Logan came home early today with a fever... so I didn't get any workouts in.

Now I am looking at "running shoe p0rn".  Hubby get 15% off at EMS for a student discount - INCLUDING VFF's.  So I was poking around online... then I came across the Saucony Shay's.

2011-04-25 9:12 PM

User image

Regular

HELL YEAH,

First outdoor ride today was awesome.  Sported the new wheeles, helmet and glasses.  Felt awesome to be out side. was susposed to be a run but I couldn't pass up a decent ride.  Only problem was ran for the last 5 miles but oh well.  Hope everybody had a great day.

Jon

2011-04-26 12:20 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

As things start ramping up in my training, I am finding I have many more days with two training sessions. For now I am managing doing both of them after work and in the evening. (I swam at 4:30 pm) and just got off my trainer (10:45 pm) but I know that I am going to have to make some changes as the lengh of the workouts increase. I have little problem getting on my bike/trainer in the morning but the idea of getting in a pool or running first thing in the moring makes me want to REALLY stay in bed! I don't know if I will ever be running first thing in the morning but once OWS starts in the summer I can usually drag myself there and be in the water before the sun rises (at least a couple of times a week).  Training for an Ironman is going to be a challenge in SO many ways.  How have you all handled double workouts? 

I hope everyone had a great weekend!

2011-04-26 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3465798

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
arrogant_bastard - 2011-04-25 10:12 PM

HELL YEAH,

First outdoor ride today was awesome.  Sported the new wheeles, helmet and glasses.  Felt awesome to be out side. was susposed to be a run but I couldn't pass up a decent ride.  Only problem was ran for the last 5 miles but oh well.  Hope everybody had a great day.

Jon

Send some of that sunshine you had for the first part of your ride a little further upstate Jon!

Nice that you were able to get out last night!
2011-04-26 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3465916

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-04-26 1:20 AM

As things start ramping up in my training, I am finding I have many more days with two training sessions. For now I am managing doing both of them after work and in the evening. (I swam at 4:30 pm) and just got off my trainer (10:45 pm) but I know that I am going to have to make some changes as the lengh of the workouts increase. I have little problem getting on my bike/trainer in the morning but the idea of getting in a pool or running first thing in the moring makes me want to REALLY stay in bed! I don't know if I will ever be running first thing in the morning but once OWS starts in the summer I can usually drag myself there and be in the water before the sun rises (at least a couple of times a week).  Training for an Ironman is going to be a challenge in SO many ways.  How have you all handled double workouts? 

Kathleen,
I have the opposite problem!  I am a morning person, I like to get up and get my workouts done first thing then I don't have to worry about them later.  But when training for HIM and IM's a lot of plans have 2 workouts a day on the schedule.  Sometimes I just had to suck it up and do the workout after work, which I always saved the shorter one for that time slot.  When I am here in NY I also have the luxery of a gym and shower here at work so I will sometimes do my run on the treadmill at lunch time. 

One other thing that works for me is also part of our conversation on adding in extra running.  Instead of using the bike and run as 2 seperate workouts, run right off the bike as a brick.  Even if you take a few extra minutes to recover before running it will help.  

You have a long time in terms of training until your IM, be careful of mental burnout by forcing the 2 a days this early in the season.   As your race gets closer, your training motivation should improve to a point that the desire to train at times you don't normally want to will increase.

Does anyone else have any time management solutions that are working for them?

Edited by kenj 2011-04-26 8:00 AM
2011-04-26 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3466129

User image

Regular
Wouldnt call it sun but at least it wasn't wet the whole time...
2011-04-26 8:57 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Kath2163 - 2011-04-26 12:20 AM

When I was in HIM training I had 2 a days 3 times a week. However my schedule is different since I don't have a work schedule I just had to have the kids covered.

My husband just completed his first HIM a few weeks ago and did most of his training in the morning. He had to find a different pool that opened early enough for him to go to before work. He is an early bird and gets to work early. Once a week he was also able to work from the home so he had more time to train in the morning without the commute getting in the way. Sometimes it makes sens to follow the work outs right away and sometimes it's better to have some time between them.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

2011-04-26 8:58 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Kath2163 - 2011-04-26 12:20 AM

When I was in HIM training I had 2 a days 3 times a week. However my schedule is different since I don't have a work schedule I just had to have the kids covered.

My husband just completed his first HIM a few weeks ago and did most of his training in the morning. He had to find a different pool that opened early enough for him to go to before work. He is an early bird and gets to work early. Once a week he was also able to work from the home so he had more time to train in the morning without the commute getting in the way. Sometimes it makes sens to follow the work outs right away and sometimes it's better to have some time between them.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

2011-04-26 12:21 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Anyone having any training issues this week that we can discuss? 

2011-04-26 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3466741

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2011-04-26 1:21 PM

Training issues:

I do sometimes have motivational issues. It’s not like I can’t get myself to get out there to do it but more like I have some internal angst about the impending workouts. I have some weird nervous energy about training and racing that I haven’t quite gotten under control.

For example: I wanted to get my long bike ride out of the way early this week but I had a flat tire Monday morning. So the ride is going to be pushed off till the weekend. There’s not much I can do about it now but the thought of the ride seems to weigh heavy on my mind. Once out there doing it I just seem to do it and enjoy it.

How do you keep going and not get crazy about it.

2011-04-26 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3467014

User image

Regular
Connecticut
acv - 2011-04-26 2:47 PM

Training issues:

I do sometimes have motivational issues. It’s not like I can’t get myself to get out there to do it but more like I have some internal angst about the impending workouts. I have some weird nervous energy about training and racing that I haven’t quite gotten under control.

For example: I wanted to get my long bike ride out of the way early this week but I had a flat tire Monday morning. So the ride is going to be pushed off till the weekend. There’s not much I can do about it now but the thought of the ride seems to weigh heavy on my mind. Once out there doing it I just seem to do it and enjoy it.

I have a calendar on my desk at work and I write in my plan for the week or month.  Then, I try not to think about it.  I just do what I have written down for that day and put the other days out of my mind.

I didn't do anything today or yesterday (sick toddler at home).  I am feeling a little panicky - like all my hard work will be undone in two days - which I know is rediculous.

2011-04-26 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3467014

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-04-26 2:47 PM

Training issues:

One of the reasons I like to get it done in the am before I have time to dwell on it, especially swimming .

I have learned that I have never (or at least rarely) gone to bed regretting a workout that was done.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72