BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2011-06-15 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3441467

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED

Only thing holding me back is my diet.  I'd love to lose a bit more of the extra flab, especially since I tend to sign up for hilly races.  That being said I am at a healthy weight so I'd have to eat really clean and well, I am just not that motivated I guess.   Although my back is killing me at the moment and I can't get it looked at until Monday, so that is a temporary issue.  I'll probably be training pretty lightly this week anyways as we are getting ready to move to the new house.

What methods do folks have for cleaning their wet suit?  I usually just hose mine off but I think it is due for a really good cleaning.  Especially after the week of salt water and never being really dry given that it is so humid in Ecuador.

2011-06-15 12:32 PM

User image

Yeah, food remains an issue for me, like hoots I seem to think I need more calories when I up the training. And I don't pick the best calorie source....

As for wetsuits, I am not the one to ask since I never rinsed mine from Cal. 70.3.  On April 2    Well, not until last Sunday's race.  I usually just hose it off and let it air dry then hang it on a wetsuit hanger.  Best if you have room is laid out under a bed or other cool dry place.

You can buy "wetsuit soap" at scuba shops, and I am sure it's marketed to triathletes as well, but in my 10+ years of scuba, several years of surfing, and 5+ of tris, a hose rinse (inside and out) has sufficed

Edited by ChrisM 2011-06-15 12:33 PM
2011-06-15 4:40 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
It's only a 103 here right now.  Anyone want to come over for a run?  lol  That time of the year, where I try and get all my runs in before the sun really comes up. 
2011-06-15 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3550654

User image

Expert
I second the hose rinse. And being a fatty food addict. Good luck Seren, watch out for the black flies!!
2011-06-16 7:59 AM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Any suggestions on putting together a nutrition plan for my HIM? I usually use hammer gels in longer duathlons and the HM I did. Not sure my stomach can withstand only that for 6 or more hours?
2011-06-16 8:23 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
I personally went with a real simple nutrition plan.  I don't consume near as many calories as some folks seem to.  What I had on my bike was two double strength hammer bottles.  Hammer works well in my belly and Hammer happened to be the course drink.  So I went through that and picked up a single strength bottle on the course.  I didn't finish that one.  At the last stop I switched it out for water.  I also had two bite size Snicker bars.  Yeah, that's right, Snickers.  I had nothing but water and some small sips of Hammer on the run course.  Breakfast was PB and Jam sandwiches.  I was camping and that was easy.  Never once did I feel hungry on the course or out of energy. 

2011-06-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3551928

User image

hoots - 2011-06-16 5:59 AM Any suggestions on putting together a nutrition plan for my HIM? I usually use hammer gels in longer duathlons and the HM I did. Not sure my stomach can withstand only that for 6 or more hours?

Yeah, I don't think gels are gong to cut it.  Wouldn't for me at least.  I use Infint on the bike.  Used it for most HIMS, and the one IM.  I concentrate the mix in 3 hour bottles (i.e., 6 scoops).  It's calorie dense, so you can't take too much concentrate at once, and you have to swig a bit of water afterwards.  But it's convenient.  I went with 2 bottles on my IM, got water at aid stations.  Didn't stop at SN.  Use one 3 hour bottle for HIMs, and get water at aid stations.  For a HIM, that's all I used on the bike.  In my IM I added a king sized payday bar, just for a little solid and a different taste/texture

Run is different, I don't like Infinit there, so I just take gatorade, water and eventually coke on the course.  And take about one gel every 3d aid station.

Pretty much after every long race I am really sick of gels  for a while

The standard rule of thumb, depending on your size is to figure out calories per hour you need.  I find about 250-300 for me is pretty good.  A little protein will help prevent hunger pangs for longer races, which I have in my bike infinit mix.  Protein is harder to digest though, so it's tougher on the run where your HR is high and your blood is being shunted away from the gut.

Whatever you do, practice, practice, practice

2011-06-16 12:51 PM

User image

Seren is racing uphill this weekend.  Good luck!!!!!

Anyone else racing????

2011-06-16 12:51 PM

User image

Seren is racing uphill this weekend.  Good luck!!!!!

Anyone else racing????

2011-06-17 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3552644

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Good luck this weekend, Seren! Look forward to hearing how you did.
2011-06-17 8:48 AM

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
Before today my only open water swim was a 500 meter swim in a sprint last year. I didn't do to well, I was at 17 minutes heading into T1, we did have a 100 yard run from the swim exit to transition. I went with a neighbor to a local lake this morning that is marked with bouts. I was able to knock out a mile swim in 45 minutes! I struggled the first .25 miles, but put it together after that. I am confident I can do better next time!

2011-06-17 11:33 AM
in reply to: #3553901

User image

hoots - 2011-06-17 6:48 AM Before today my only open water swim was a 500 meter swim in a sprint last year. I didn't do to well, I was at 17 minutes heading into T1, we did have a 100 yard run from the swim exit to transition. I went with a neighbor to a local lake this morning that is marked with bouts. I was able to knock out a mile swim in 45 minutes! I struggled the first .25 miles, but put it together after that. I am confident I can do better next time!

Congrats!   Consistency is key

I always find OW swimming to be such a different animal than pool swimming, and it takes me a couple swims each year to get my "open water" arms.  Getting back in this Sunday to hopefully regular sunday swims.  I realized I don't have that many open non-race weekends until Alcatraz

2011-06-17 11:38 AM

User image

I'm just going to crow a bit....  I have been running a flat 4 mile route on the beach two mornings a week for the past few weeks, my two "medium" runs for the week.   Usually one is fairly easy and the other is tempo.  Or just working it, since I am not actually sure what "tempo" always means 

Mostly been doing it solo, but changed the days so my running partner could make it regularly.  Fastest I had done it was 36:19, and my goal was to get to 8:XX/mile, or 35:59.  Not fast for most, I know, but fast for me.....

This morning had to park in a different location, so the "out" was slightly rolling, definitely not as flat as the normal out route

Used a Garmin so distance accurate.   Time at finish:  34:57.  Woot!  Smashed my goal by over a minute.  Obviously, I need a new goal writer that doesn't sandbag.

Funny, becuase Wednesday's run was the same altered route and ran a 38:27 and felt like cr@p.

2011-06-17 10:15 PM

User image

Los Angeles

Good Luck Seren!!

Tomorrow heading to Goleta Beach and doing the bike and run portion of next month's triathlon.   Looking forward to tomorrows brick!!

2011-06-19 6:01 PM

User image

Payson, AZ

Vacation is done (Galapagos rocks by the way), move is completed (well, I still have some unpacking to do but it is mostly done).  Time to get back on the training bandwagon.  It's always so hard to get restarted after a long layoff.

Hope everyone had a good weekend of training and racing

2011-06-20 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3555179

User image

bad91 - 2011-06-17 8:15 PM

Good Luck Seren!!

Tomorrow heading to Goleta Beach and doing the bike and run portion of next month's triathlon.   Looking forward to tomorrows brick!!

How was the course?

Edited by ChrisM 2011-06-20 1:32 PM

2011-06-20 1:35 PM

User image

Pretty good weekend....   Saturday rode 50, mostly flat a little bit of hills at the end, but man am I out of cycling shape!!!!  Got home, and sort of bricked it, if hanging out for half hour or so then driving to the beach to run 3 very easy flat miles is a brick.

Sunday finally got back in the ocean for our regular sunday morning swims.  I realized I only have 4 weekends until Alcatraz, and one of those is a race, one if July 4th weekend and we'll be out of town, so I had better get into the ocean...  A bit choppy so it was good training.  Did the 1 mile course.  Later in the afternoon ran 10 hilly-ish miles, home to Lunada Bay and back.  Felt pretty good, pace was good (for me) and not too sore after.  Of course, I was trashed for the remainder of the day.  Good thing the US Open and cycling were on.

Next weekend is Breath of Life, my first Olympic in 3 years, I think.... Not going to taper for it or anything, but not quite training thru it as I'll scale back slightly for the week.

Hope everyone had a great weekend, Seren is reveling in her post race bliss, and a good week awaits

2011-06-20 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3558272

User image

Los Angeles
ChrisM - 2011-06-20 11:31 AM  

How was the course?

I did not end up going at the last moment. I am a little bummed I wasnt able to make it...but i ll be ready for it next month.

2011-06-21 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3552635

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
ChrisM - 2011-06-16 11:48 AMDidn't stop at SN.

What's SN?
2011-06-21 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3559605

User image

hoots - 2011-06-21 6:52 AM
ChrisM - 2011-06-16 11:48 AMDidn't stop at SN.
What's SN?

sorry.... Special Needs

2011-06-21 2:29 PM

User image

Wow, I am just having one of those work days.  Everyone around me has to make my job much harder than it has to be... sorry, just a rant.

On the bright side, I got up and rode the trainer this morning

2011-06-22 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3560552

User image

Los Angeles
ChrisM - 2011-06-21 12:29 PM

Wow, I am just having one of those work days.  Everyone around me has to make my job much harder than it has to be... sorry, just a rant.

I have those everyday Chris!!!

Yesterday, I woke up at 430am and did a 60 min bike/30 min run brick before work.   Everything was fine and dandy until i trip over a man hole cover.  I feel pretty hard.  Got up REAL quick and looked around to make sure no one saw me.   No one did!! but I was in pain for about 2 blocks . No real damage other than a nice scraped up knee.   I am laughing about it now!

2011-06-22 1:58 PM
in reply to: #3562386

User image

bad91 - 2011-06-22 11:55 AM

Yesterday, I woke up at 430am and did a 60 min bike/30 min run brick before work.   Everything was fine and dandy until i trip over a man hole cover.  I feel pretty hard.  Got up REAL quick and looked around to make sure no one saw me.   No one did!! but I was in pain for about 2 blocks . No real damage other than a nice scraped up knee.   I am laughing about it now!

I did that about two months ago.  But I was in broad daylight, and did it after crossing a street in front of a good looking girl waiting at the intersection.  Doh!

2011-06-22 4:29 PM
in reply to: #3562386

User image

Highlands Ranch, CO
bad91 - 2011-06-22 12:55 PM

Too funny!  Running last week I tripped over a speed bump in a high school parking lot.  I saved myself, but it wasn't pretty.  The first thing I did was look to see who was around, too.

2011-06-22 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3562688

User image

Expert
I do the famous, "can't unclip fast enough at a stop light" tip over thing. Always a hot chick in the car next to you. Guaranteed!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ChrisM's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 20