BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-03-13 7:33 AM
in reply to: #3947226

User image

Marshall Michigan
Subject: RE: Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us!

Well no long run Monday night to fencing - and no fencing.  Went home made dinner and crashed on couch.  Slept like a baby and didn't feel bad about either.  Sleep is good!

Off to the bike store this afternoon - going to get some street tires for MTB and take those darn studded tires off tonight!  Can't wait.  I'm sure well get 6inches of snow next week .  lol

Going to Bike swap in Detroit on the 24th - to shop for Tri or road bike.  Getting excited and have been saving my pennies.

Has anyone been to bike swap? - Anything to watch out for?

2012-03-13 9:40 PM
in reply to: #4093571

User image

New user
Paper Boy - 2012-03-13 7:33 AM

Off to the bike store this afternoon - going to get some street tires for MTB and take those darn studded tires off tonight!

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, it's got to help my speed.

2012-03-14 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4095201

User image

Marshall Michigan
SWF - 2012-03-13 10:40 PM
Paper Boy - 2012-03-13 7:33 AM

Off to the bike store this afternoon - going to get some street tires for MTB and take those darn studded tires off tonight!

I'm thinking about doing the same thing, it's got to help my speed.

OMG - it was a total blast this morning.  I realize the studded tires really slowed me down but wow what a difference it was this morning.  So much less effort.  Get tires w/ no nobs at all - The LBS tried to get me to get a 1/2 and 1/2 tire - so glad I did not. tire pressure at 60 and they are rock hard.  The best money I've spent in a long time. 
2012-03-14 5:30 PM

User image

Eastern Washington

Sorry I haven't posted much, I've been house hunting and that takes up so much time and energy.-it's my first house, so everything is a learning process.  Anyway, I finally got to the gym with a pool and signed up this past Saturday.  I swam last night and it felt good, but the gym keeps the pool a little on the warm side, so it was difficult for me to keep a good pace because I was so flippin hot!  After being away from the pool since August of last year, it felt wonderful to be back in the water.  I also purchased some prescription strength goggles, because I'm blind as a bat, and they worked perfectly.  I hate using goggles and usually go without, but I know it's necessary to be able to see, and these work great.  I'm very happy.  I'm waiting for my new competition swimsuit to arrive; haven't had a new suit in over 10 years...lol.

Running is getting better-my right knee still gives me a lot of trouble but I'm hoping the swimming will help reduce some of the pain.  I know when I bike, the pain subsides-I'm certain it's just the high impact of running.  I'm starting to up my bike workouts, too.  I don't want to ride anything less than 10 miles when I get on the bike, now.

So, that's what I've been doing over the past couple of weeks.  I dropped a little more weight and some inches and that makes me happy.  The jeans I bought just two months ago are already too loose. 

I'm swimming again tonight and I hope to make better time and more laps!  Happy Wednesday everyone!  The week is almost over.

2012-03-15 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4096623

User image

Marshall Michigan
seoulgirl39 - 2012-03-14 6:30 PM

Sorry I haven't posted much, I've been house hunting and that takes up so much time and energy.-it's my first house, so everything is a learning process.  Anyway, I finally got to the gym with a pool and signed up this past Saturday.  I swam last night and it felt good, but the gym keeps the pool a little on the warm side, so it was difficult for me to keep a good pace because I was so flippin hot!  After being away from the pool since August of last year, it felt wonderful to be back in the water.  I also purchased some prescription strength goggles, because I'm blind as a bat, and they worked perfectly.  I hate using goggles and usually go without, but I know it's necessary to be able to see, and these work great.  I'm very happy.  I'm waiting for my new competition swimsuit to arrive; haven't had a new suit in over 10 years...lol.

Running is getting better-my right knee still gives me a lot of trouble but I'm hoping the swimming will help reduce some of the pain.  I know when I bike, the pain subsides-I'm certain it's just the high impact of running.  I'm starting to up my bike workouts, too.  I don't want to ride anything less than 10 miles when I get on the bike, now.

So, that's what I've been doing over the past couple of weeks.  I dropped a little more weight and some inches and that makes me happy.  The jeans I bought just two months ago are already too loose. 

I'm swimming again tonight and I hope to make better time and more laps!  Happy Wednesday everyone!  The week is almost over.

Great update - good luck w/ the house.  Sounds like your working hard keep up the good work.
2012-03-16 12:24 AM

User image

Veteran
www.multisportbargains.com

Good luck with the house shopping! I am closing escrow on my first place on Monday, and what an experience it has been! I hope you have a few less hitches than me. 

How is everyone's training going?

2012-03-16 7:32 AM
in reply to: #4098686

User image

Marshall Michigan
jaclynembry - 2012-03-16 1:24 AM

Good luck with the house shopping! I am closing escrow on my first place on Monday, and what an experience it has been! I hope you have a few less hitches than me. 

How is everyone's training going?

Not as well as it should be in Michigan.  Mileage is down from other weeks, kinda like I took 2 recovery weeks in a row and now I'm on my taper....  back at it next week for sure.  I a good note this would be my 3rd day in shorts and t-shirt.  No more winter and next weeks forcast is evan better.

2012-03-17 1:03 PM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

Hi everyone,

My training is getting back on track now. I ran 2.5miles the other day on pavement for the first time! This is such a huge accomplishment for me since I haven't been able to run in years due to my knees. The swimming is okay for me, gonna go to the beach today (waikiki) to hang with family and also get in an open water workout. My biking workouts are probably the most neglected....I ride at 24hr fitness during the week and my rode bike on the weekends. My weight loss goal for March is looking good but I still need to drop 4-5 more pounds. Lot of people comment that I look like I lost a lot of weight but I keep shaking my head when the scale won't move down a few more pounds.

Hope everyone is doing well! have a great weekend!

2012-03-19 8:24 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Long ride for me - 25 miles in 73 min on saturday.  Very happy w/ 1st rode bike ride outside.

I'm planning on cummuteing  Thursday - 15 on the way in and 35 miles from work to home.  Very excited for more miles.

Goals looking ok  - I'll never hit my swim goal and everything is still on the table!

Going to a bike swap on Saturday - any advice for things to watch out for? 

2012-03-19 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4100661

User image

Marshall Michigan
TriMoTri - 2012-03-17 2:03 PM

Hi everyone,

My training is getting back on track now. I ran 2.5miles the other day on pavement for the first time! This is such a huge accomplishment for me since I haven't been able to run in years due to my knees. The swimming is okay for me, gonna go to the beach today (waikiki) to hang with family and also get in an open water workout. My biking workouts are probably the most neglected....I ride at 24hr fitness during the week and my rode bike on the weekends. My weight loss goal for March is looking good but I still need to drop 4-5 more pounds. Lot of people comment that I look like I lost a lot of weight but I keep shaking my head when the scale won't move down a few more pounds.

Hope everyone is doing well! have a great weekend!

- You go girl!  remember - baby steps to avoid injury.  You'll so be ready when the time comes.
2012-03-20 6:51 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Ran to fencing last night - 8.5 miles under 11 min mile!  Good for me - got some new running shoes finally put down the trail shoes since winter seems to be long gone.  Ran well but 85 outside was something new.  Next long run I'll be bringing alittle something to drink.

Legs tired this morning, body tired and alittle beat up from fencing class.  Sometimes I feel soooo OLD!

Hope you have a great Tuesday.

Bill

2012-03-20 2:17 PM

User image

Eastern Washington

Well, I'm kicking it up a couple of notches for my workouts.  Have some external stress that is keeping me more and more anxious to get to the gym and get rid of it, but overall, the workouts have been good...except for the running; I just can't seem to catch a break when it comes to endurance.  I feel pretty good when I start running, but my knees just give me hell and by then 2nd or 3rd set of running, I can't do more than 3-4 mins at a time.  I don't feel like I've made any gains because I haven't been able to finish one mile, yet, so I have no idea what my time is, therefore I don't feel like I've been improving, at all.  I've tried to space out my running days somewhat, to give my knees a break, but I don't want to taper off too much, as I'm afraid I won't get better.  Still a work in progress.

Swimming feels wonderful.  Only complaint is the pool I swim in is kept very warm, so it's hard for me to keep a consistent pace because I get so hot, but I did notice today that the temp started to drop while I was swimming, so they must keep it heated overnight and then turn it down when they open it.  I was there at 5am, so my expectations for perfect water may be a little high.

Biking is going well, too.  My arse and lower back get a little stiff and sore riding the stationary bike, but that's no big deal.  I'm averaging 13-17 miles everytime I ride and my rpms have increased too, so that's a good thing. 

So, I'm swimming, biking, and running-one exercise each day twice a week and then take Mondays off.  When summer comes around, I'm going to start 2 a days.  Swim everyday after work and then run or bike in the am. 

I haven't weighed myself in about a week, so the jury is still out on if I've made progress on that goal, too.

I will keep everyone posted!  Thanks for the well wishes on the house hunting...it is quite interesting.    Happy Tuesday!!

2012-03-22 7:05 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Same old same old in Michigan, running and biking - not much swimming.  Weight loss at 172 - so 3 pounds togo to meet goal for march.

Have a good day

Bill

2012-03-23 11:06 AM

User image

Eastern Washington

This week has been a really good week!  I was able to run a mile...finally and I did it in just a little over 8 mins!  I felt sooooo good and I was very happy with my workout that day.  I even went on to run another 10 min set, which means I ran more than I walked.  Very, very happy!

I also purchased a swim MP3 player and I tried it out today.  I must say I was very skeptical but this device is wonderful!  It's just like listening to music while running or biking.  The music is clear and I swam faster and did 10 more laps in the same amount of time that I did 60 last week.  I'm impressed...but I'm also going to see what kind of longevity this device has.  I plan on using it everytime I swim and that's a minimum of 4 days a week.  It was very easy to set up and load music (it holds 500 songs) and easy to attach to my googles.  It worked like a dream-LOVE IT!

Tomorrow is a bike day-we actually had snow yesterday and then 50 degree weather the rest of the day; weird, weird weather.  I'm ready to start shopping for a bike...any suggestions for something that is reasonable but good??

TGIF everyone!  Hope all is well with the group!!  Have a great weekend of training and relaxation!!

2012-03-23 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4110133

User image

New user
seoulgirl39 - 2012-03-23 11:06 AM

This week has been a really good week!  I was able to run a mile...finally and I did it in just a little over 8 mins!  I felt sooooo good and I was very happy with my workout that day.  I even went on to run another 10 min set, which means I ran more than I walked.  Very, very happy!

Congrats! Way to go..that does make a great week.

seoulgirl39 - 2012-03-23 11:06 AM

I also purchased a swim MP3 player and I tried it out today.  I must say I was very skeptical but this device is wonderful!  It's just like listening to music while running or biking. 

I've seen these and wondered if they are worth the money. I wish that they would let listen to a MP3 player while competing. I have a great playlist that gets me through most any workout. I've avoided using my MP3 player while biking and it's hard.

Everyone have a great weekend.

2012-03-27 9:59 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Hope everyone is still working hard and doing well.   Keep doing the work and it will all pay off.  

2012-03-27 10:18 PM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

My training plan has kicked up a notch...longer runs, swims and bikes..so I'm feeling the body pains. I'm especially feeling more aches up in the glutes area from running on pavement now. My knees are a little tender but okay, it's just this higher upper hamstring area that aches more and gets super tight. I'm stretching as much as I can every day..

Hope everyone else is doing well!

2012-03-28 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4110820

User image

Eastern Washington

"SWF

I've seen these and wondered if they are worth the money. I wish that they would let listen to a MP3 player while competing. I have a great playlist that gets me through most any workout. I've avoided using my MP3 player while biking and it's hard.

Everyone have a great weekend."

It was money well spent and it helps me stay motivated in the pool.  Counting laps gets kind of boring after a while and there's no music playing inside the pool area, so this device is a life saver to me.

Edited by seoulgirl39 2012-03-28 11:29 AM
2012-03-28 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4116404

User image

Eastern Washington
TriMoTri - 2012-03-27 8:18 PM

My training plan has kicked up a notch...longer runs, swims and bikes..so I'm feeling the body pains. I'm especially feeling more aches up in the glutes area from running on pavement now. My knees are a little tender but okay, it's just this higher upper hamstring area that aches more and gets super tight. I'm stretching as much as I can every day..

I am not looking forward to running on pavement, at all. I had one really good day of running and then my next day wasn't so great. I tore my Achilles tendon last year and I tend to favor that leg whenever I have the slightest bit of pain in the calf area. I don't want to do anything to derail my training, but I also don't want to slack off, either. It's a Catch-22, but I'm still feeling pretty good. I kind of went a little haywire with my eating this week, but I have had a lot of external stress this past week and it's been killing me emotionally and physically. I haven't missed any time in the gym, but I can tell my mind isn't always on the training. I'm hoping things will resolve themselves sooner than later.Happy Wednesday, everyone!! Keep on training...the end of March is near!
2012-03-28 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4117205

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii
seoulgirl39 - 2012-03-28 6:45 AM
TriMoTri - 2012-03-27 8:18 PM

I am not looking forward to running on pavement, at all. I had one really good day of running and then my next day wasn't so great. I tore my Achilles tendon last year and I tend to favor that leg whenever I have the slightest bit of pain in the calf area. I don't want to do anything to derail my training, but I also don't want to slack off, either. It's a Catch-22, but I'm still feeling pretty good. I kind of went a little haywire with my eating this week, but I have had a lot of external stress this past week and it's been killing me emotionally and physically. I haven't missed any time in the gym, but I can tell my mind isn't always on the training. I'm hoping things will resolve themselves sooner than later.Happy Wednesday, everyone!! Keep on training...the end of March is near!

Yea, it's been a lot harder on my body but I think I'm getting stronger. I've learned to stretch before, walk to warm up, then stretch again and THEN start my actual run...then stretch again. I pulled my calf a month ago and realized I wasn't stretching nearly enough to handle the pavement pounding. I hear you on the stress factor too....most of the time my workouts make me feel better and relaxed, but there are times when my mind is just somewhere else and I have a crappy workout which just makes me feel like I wasted my time and want to go eat hang in there!

2012-04-03 7:22 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan
So what is everyone going to do about new mentor groups?  Stay or move to new group?

2012-04-04 7:02 AM

User image

Marshall Michigan

Well ive been hard at work, killed my bike mileage and almost under 170 - goals for March. 

Did my 1st bike commute to work today - 15 miles in - vary glad i did.

have a good day

2012-04-07 12:06 AM
in reply to: #4126416

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

Paper Boy - 2012-04-03 2:22 AM So what is everyone going to do about new mentor groups?  Stay or move to new group?

There are new mentor groups? I'm gonna stay...I'm gonna need more help as my first sprint tri gets closer...it's June 17th.

2012-04-07 12:12 AM

Veteran
Oahu, Hawaii

I ran 3.1 miles today for the first time! It felt good, my legs felt strong and my breathing was fine. I'm so happy I finally did it.....still very slow, but oh well, at least I made the 3 mile mark. My triathlon is in June so I'm hoping to pick up the pace a little..still doing the 12minute mile.

Hope everyone is doing well!

2012-04-09 6:52 AM
in reply to: #4135130

User image

Marshall Michigan
TriMoTri - 2012-04-07 1:12 AM

I ran 3.1 miles today for the first time! It felt good, my legs felt strong and my breathing was fine. I'm so happy I finally did it.....still very slow, but oh well, at least I made the 3 mile mark. My triathlon is in June so I'm hoping to pick up the pace a little..still doing the 12minute mile.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Great job, i've been running a 12 min mile for a long time,  Speed will come as you run more, and start adding drills to the run, strides, tempo runs, high knee, kick your butt.  it all takes time, and ya know, if you can run a 12 min mile during your race you'll be passing alot of the walkers.  I'm always suprised to see so many walkers!  Your going to do great.  Keep up the great work!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jac's Group - The water is warm, join us! Rss Feed  

of 19