BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-25 5:27 AM
in reply to: #4009414

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL
GiGi_50 - 2012-01-24 10:19 PM

After lurking in the back ground of the group just reading eveyone's posts I thought it was time I joined in. I have been hitting the gym regularly the past two weeks most of my workouts are on the treadmill. Things ae slowly improving I did find however the my left knee is still a little weak and tends to start to buckle when I get tired, it was damaged during a bike accident where I tore both the PCL and ACL about 18 mos. ago. I end up doing more walking then running. I start my swim workouts this weekend, my first triathlon is in April.  I am excited to read the posts from those who are just starting out doing triathlons after a three year break I feel like a newbie myself !

Welcome back... 

2012-01-25 5:28 AM
in reply to: #4008380

User image

Expert
BigBeltz - 2012-01-24 2:14 PM
shellback1998 - 2012-01-24 2:05 PM

Well good idea, I have the 310xt and love it.

Do you have an additional fixed computer on the bike?  Do you exclusively use the Garmin?  I am trying to decide which route to go, but the 310 is out of my budget in the near term after having bought a new bike.  I was thinking something that would provide a current speed would be good enough (and cheap enough) in the near term.

Chris

Many people use CatEye for an external computer. You need one to tell you cadence though... Most of the ones that are sold at the LBS are speed indicators, make sure you specify cadence

2012-01-25 5:30 AM
in reply to: #4008630

User image

Expert
iTri-d - 2012-01-24 3:48 PM

Silly for some, but exciting for me!  The swim cap I ordered arrived!!  No more chlorine hair everyday!!!  YIPPEE! *grin*

Maybe I'm ignorant about swim caps, as I don't use them. But, for the women in my swim class, I still see that there heads are still wet. It's not a dry cap so water and chlorine will still affect your hair...

2012-01-25 5:31 AM
in reply to: #4008380

User image

Expert
BigBeltz - 2012-01-24 2:14 PM
shellback1998 - 2012-01-24 2:05 PM

Well good idea, I have the 310xt and love it.

Do you have an additional fixed computer on the bike?  Do you exclusively use the Garmin?  I am trying to decide which route to go, but the 310 is out of my budget in the near term after having bought a new bike.  I was thinking something that would provide a current speed would be good enough (and cheap enough) in the near term.

Chris

But to answer your question, I do have an additional fixed computer for my powertap on my bike. I use that so I don't have to keep watching my watch when I'm in the aero position

2012-01-25 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4009454

User image

squid61283 - 2012-01-24 10:40 PM

Hi guys,

sorry for the late update on my personnal info:  Married, with 2 kids, one 2 1/2 and the other 9 months.  Currently live in Staten Island NY. 

how i got involved in tris..my brother in law, an endurance athlete, who lives in miami and does marathons,sprints olys etc, participated in his third full ironman at lake placid this year.  The whole family about 30 of us rented a house and got tshirts made up to wear when we cheered him on.  From the begining gun of the swim to the finish i was first amazed at the athletes that people do these crazy races and these athletes come in all shapes and sizes.  I was expecting cut chiselled athletes but i was wrong, anyone can do one if they train properly.  Also to see everyone cheering on strangers was a real special experience.  When we got home i was so inspired by his finish and the whole tri experience that he suggested i try a mini sprint.  I signed up for one in September and trained using tp software.  I finished the tri in a time i trained for, enjoyed the experience and knew if i wanted to get serious i have a lot of work to do.  So i hired a tri coach who gives me a weekly workout, recieved swim lessons and bought a giant road bike.  I have been training since late October and i love it.  Lost about 10 lbs, but my body shape has really changed from all the different workouts.  Planned out my upcoming season with one race a month.  March a central park dualthon, april 5k, may red bank sprint, june lavaman sprint, july a oly, august short tri and sept/october either a olympic or 70.3, but we will decide in July about the 70.3 to see the progress i have made.

For now everything is going well, just looking to learn and interact with other people about triathalons. 

My first question is nutrition---do you recommend light muscle milk for pre workout/recovery or do not recommend at all????

Ken,

I live in NY (westchester).  Just wanted to chime in that I did the Duathlon in Central Park a couple of years ago and it was a fun time.  The course is open to foot traffic (other bikers and joggers), but no cars which is great.  March can be kind of cold, though, unless we get a good day.  I'm thinking about this race as well, but I'm going to wait and see.

2012-01-25 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4009616

User image

Maybe I'm ignorant about swim caps, as I don't use them. But, for the women in my swim class, I still see that there heads are still wet. It's not a dry cap so water and chlorine will still affect your hair...

I read they aren't 100% but should be better than nothing.  Yesterday was so frustrating as I kept getting hair in my face even with it pulled back.  Cap should help that too!!!

Now to figure out the skin issue! 

2012-01-25 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4009388

User image

Thanks! This post and the posts by Shellback were a big help. It looks like I'm lucky enough the race I'm targeting has changing tents. I don't care about my time so I'm thinking of just taking an extra minute or two to change completely. While unusual, it appears that its not rare. Thanks guys!
2012-01-25 5:04 PM
in reply to: #4000038

User image

Subject: RE: Shellback1998 2012 Group OPEN
everlong - 2012-01-19 2:31 PM
everlong - 2012-01-10 10:24 AM

This was this morning's masters swim class, 70 minutes.

100 free
200 2X100 pull with paddles on :10 RI
50 kick
50 breast
100 Free
250 free
200 pull with paddles

The above is a warm up. I hit class early as often as I can for extra warm up. So the first 500 yards is just me and the next 450 part of the routine.

This is the inveral part of the workout will drills mixed in.

250 5X50 @60
500 4X125 @2:15
200 2X50 kick 50 swim with fins
300 2X150 50 hard, 75 easy, 25 hard @2:30
200 2X50 kick 50 swim
300 6X75 swim, drill, swim
200 2X50 kick 50 swim with fins
300 3X(4X25 desc 4th all out)

Switching back and forth between swim, kick or using a pull buoy will make you more aware of how you're using those different body parts.

Cool down.

100 free
3300  Total

If you're starting out swimming it may be hard to know what to do without a class. Most people, myself included, just go and swim until they're tired. You're much better off doing intervals and drills. So how do you know what interval you should use?

Warm up swimming 300 yards at a slow pace. You can do this as 6-50's, 3-100's or just a straight through. I prefer going on the 100's and using a 10 second rest interval. After your warm up swim 100 as fast as you can where you are finishing at the same speed you start out at. You do not want a positive split where you swim the first 50 in a minute but the second 50 takes a minute-twenty.

Whatever your number is multiply that by 1.25 using seconds. So  let's say you do it in 120 seconds (2 minutes). 120 X 1.25 is 150 seconds (2 and a half minutes). This should be your base interval that you do comfortably.  When swimming at your base interval you want to have good form and bring the intervals in at 135-140 seconds so that you're getting 10-15 seconds of rest between the intervals. You can also do faster intervals mixed in.

So a good 1000 yard base workout to start out at.

200 Free 4X50 on :10 RI (warm up)

4X50 @ 75 seconds (half your base based on distance)

4X100 @ 150 seconds

100 pick a drill

100 easy cooldown

I posted this at the start of the thread on making your own swimming workouts. For drills you need a set of paddles, fins and a pull buoy. You can search youtube for swimming kick drills, vertical kick drills, pull with paddles, one are drills, closed fist drills, finger tip drag drills, high swinger drills.

If you can't find them I'll do my best to describe them but obviously a visual is so much easier.

Hi, I just finished my swim workout for today and it was completely different following drills. I was one of those people who just jumped in and swam until I was tired. I really feel like I worked so much harder with the drills. I want to try some of the drills with paddles, fins and pull buoy next. I used my iPhone as a stopwatch, which isn't optimal as I had to continually dry my hands to operate it! Anyway, thanks for the tips on swim workout. 

Keiren

2012-01-25 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3950785

User image

Expert
I'm glad it was helpful. Most pools have a clock with seconds on it and I just go off of that. Even if you're doing say a 400 you pretty much know what your pace. So if you usually average 8 minutes and start at the top and come in on the 50 you know it's 7:50, etc.
2012-01-25 10:55 PM
in reply to: #4009400

Minneapolis , Minnesota
iTri-d - 2012-01-25 8:11 PM

Anyone have Eczema or dry skin and have solutions to pool water issues?  Only 3 days in the pool and already new patches on my hands of Eczema (mine is usually contained to my legs and ear canals).

What does one do if their skin is very dry and then they are spending this much time in water? I was thinking of putting lotion on BEFORE entering the pool as a kind of protector, but not sure that would work.

Any advice? 

I have the same skin issues as you  I haven't tried doing anything before but afterwords I wash the chlorine off as soon as I can and use Gold Bond lotion. In my case I use the fragrance free kind due to allergies. I also have a prescription cream that helps with flare ups.

2012-01-26 7:11 AM

User image

I wanted to pass along this website. www.sierratradingpost.com I get a LOT of gear from them (especially shoes and other running-specific clothes) and its always a good buy. It's usually stuff that is a season old, like the slightly older version of Brooks than you would find in the store, but it's priced so well its worth it. Like last year I was trying to buy tights to run in and I accidently bought compression tights. They were only $50 and when I looked them up later online they retailed for $200. They have a triathalon section- but I haven't bought any of that stuff yet. They also usually have coupons so subscribe to their newsletter (you get a lot of e-mails from them, not all useful) or "like" them on facebook. I can't tell you how much money they've saved me.

No I'm not a paid spokesperson and they don't sponsor me or anything else- I just know how hard it is to get cool stuff on a budget and thought I'd pass along my savings plan.

2012-01-26 7:12 AM

User image

Expert
Aveno makes a good body wash called healing or something to that effect that's really good for itchy dry skin from the pool. Using a cream like Lubaderm is also very good.
2012-01-26 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4011696

User image

Expert
swimsoft82 - 2012-01-26 8:11 AM

I wanted to pass along this website. www.sierratradingpost.com I get a LOT of gear from them (especially shoes and other running-specific clothes) and its always a good buy. It's usually stuff that is a season old, like the slightly older version of Brooks than you would find in the store, but it's priced so well its worth it. Like last year I was trying to buy tights to run in and I accidently bought compression tights. They were only $50 and when I looked them up later online they retailed for $200. They have a triathalon section- but I haven't bought any of that stuff yet. They also usually have coupons so subscribe to their newsletter (you get a lot of e-mails from them, not all useful) or "like" them on facebook. I can't tell you how much money they've saved me.

No I'm not a paid spokesperson and they don't sponsor me or anything else- I just know how hard it is to get cool stuff on a budget and thought I'd pass along my savings plan.

Great job!

2012-01-26 10:10 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Hydration on the Bike

When on the bike, I am not comfortable drinking from the water bottle attached to my cage as I like to keep two hands on the bike at all times.  My solution to this last year was to use a hydration back back, but that means I'm biking with a back pack - it also slows down my transition somewhat as I have to put the back pack on to begin the biking and then take it off after the biking.

I've seen bottles attached to aerobars with long straws, but I do not use aerobars.  The solutions I was looking at were the "Never Reach", the VelEau , the SipStream or the Speedfil hydration systems.  Anybody here have any experience with these products?

2012-01-26 10:14 AM
in reply to: #4012097

User image

Expert
CraigS - 2012-01-26 11:10 AM

When on the bike, I am not comfortable drinking from the water bottle attached to my cage as I like to keep two hands on the bike at all times.  My solution to this last year was to use a hydration back back, but that means I'm biking with a back pack - it also slows down my transition somewhat as I have to put the back pack on to begin the biking and then take it off after the biking.

I've seen bottles attached to aerobars with long straws, but I do not use aerobars.  The solutions I was looking at were the "Never Reach", the VelEau , the SipStream or the Speedfil hydration systems.  Anybody here have any experience with these products?

Well, I use speedfill and the profile design aero bottle. But I do mostly long course anyway. So on my rides, i'm having 44 oz of fluid with me... However, I agree concentrate on the road, but it's really not that hard. On my road bike, I have two cages, on the frame and I have two behind my saddle. If you look forward and grab the bottle and drink you'll it's actually pretty safe... Just got to practice... Cambel back, is not a good idea, not good with air flow as well. In the long run, you're going to be working harder with the air turbulence when it comes down your back. .

2012-01-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4012097

User image

I don't personally have any experience with hydration systems other than a CamelBak and a normal cage mounted water bottle (which you have already mentioned).  I have been listening to Tri-Talk, a podcast that offers a lot of statistics on the value and cost of varying pieces of triathlon equipment.  I have begun by listening to their oldest podcasts, so I don't know all of their current suggests... however, currently they are suggesting the "Profile Aero Drink" system.  I am sure there is tons of information beyond their current "Top 20" list, but you can see the statistics for that system here: http://www.tri-talk.com/Top20.asp.  

If you love statistics and find them interesting, this podcast is rife with them.  It is great driving "music" though.

2012-01-26 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4012209

User image

BigBeltz - 2012-01-26 11:51 AM

I don't personally have any experience with hydration systems other than a CamelBak and a normal cage mounted water bottle (which you have already mentioned).  I have been listening to Tri-Talk, a podcast that offers a lot of statistics on the value and cost of varying pieces of triathlon equipment.  I have begun by listening to their oldest podcasts, so I don't know all of their current suggests... however, currently they are suggesting the "Profile Aero Drink" system.  I am sure there is tons of information beyond their current "Top 20" list, but you can see the statistics for that system here: http://www.tri-talk.com/Top20.asp.  

If you love statistics and find them interesting, this podcast is rife with them.  It is great driving "music" though.

Thanks. I'll check it out

2012-01-26 3:25 PM
in reply to: #4012958

User image

CraigS - 2012-01-26 4:25 PM

Oh yes. And one more thing since you are from MA -- GO GIANTS!!!!!!

2012-01-26 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4012961

User image

Expert

Go Pats! Start stocking on on Kleenex you will need them.
2012-01-26 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4009829

New user

Staten island
well hopefully the weather holds up its been a pretty mild winter.  saved me from purchasing a indoor bike machine for now..as from other people they say it is a nice race but a little crowded.
2012-01-26 7:25 PM

User image

Today due to freezing rain the gym was not open.  I did get my swim in, but that means no bike ride.  Should I do my run instead and just have 3 run days in a row, or should i just skip the bike and accept that these things happen and move on?

2012-01-26 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4013294

User image

Expert
iTri-d - 2012-01-26 8:25 PMToday due to freezing rain the gym was not open.  I did get my swim in, but that means no bike ride.  Should I do my run instead and just have 3 run days in a row, or should i just skip the bike and accept that these things happen and move on?
Depends how are you feeling?
2012-01-26 7:41 PM

User image

lazy *Grin*  Actually I am a little crabby tonight, but body wise no aches or anything. I did fall asleep while talking with my husband earlier. We were making sure we were ready for the weekend (hosting 2 party/get together things at our house) and I fell asleep on the couch with him.

I feel fine after that cat nap and probably looking for a reason to get out of the cleaning.  SO, I guess that means I will finish cleaning and do SOMETHING on the treadmill for min 30 minutes.  

2012-01-26 9:06 PM

User image

Got a run and swim in today, both in about equal of the distance of my sprint triathlon in March.  They weren't back-to-back, but spaced about 3 or 4 hours.  I've also managed to stay with a net loss of about 1000 calories a day for the past week or two, without being hungry or feeling weak during a work out... so psyched about that as well.

Swim: 1100 yards

1x 100yrd warm up

1x 500yrd free/breast

10x50yrd free

Edited by BigBeltz 2012-01-26 9:07 PM
2012-01-27 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4013007

User image

shellback1998 - 2012-01-26 4:50 PM

Go Pats! Start stocking on on Kleenex you will need them.

I already went through my box this year as I am really a JETS fan - but I'm pulling for the Giants. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Shellback1998 2012 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 23