BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2012-01-28 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4015467

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed
KatNWater - 2012-01-27 10:51 PM

I usually wear a bondi band under my helmet to help with sweat, then pull on my running hat for the run.

ya'll are going to get so tired of sick me stuck on the couch with nothing to do but web browse.

As I mentioned before, I am a penny pincher.  I had a ton of too large workout clothes and swim suits, so I made my own bondi bands.  I am NOT an accomplished seamstress, but I do have a simple sewing machine, and I found these really easy to make.  

Just in case you are curious, here is the how to:  http://runaroundaroo.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/wannabe-bondi-bands/

That's awesome!  I have some shorts and shirts that are ready for retirement.  I was wondering if there was a way to turn them into a bondi.

2012-01-28 8:27 AM
in reply to: #3955221

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Morning Goonies!  Sorry I wasn't around yesterday - I enjoyed a day full of doing almost absolutely nothing.  It was wonderful.  I think every once in awhile I get fed up with the constant distraction of all the electronics and need a day with out a cell phone or a tablet or the internet.

The weather was unseasonable warm here and I got out for a nice run in the sun.  I'm tempted to put the snow shovel away but I know that February is just around the corner.  There's no way that I'll be so lucky to make it through the rest of winter without a big snowfall.

Today - or rather tonight - I'm heading to Indy with the tri club to do a trail half marathon.  I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not!  It's been raining and raining and raining for the past few weeks.  I have a feeling it will be more of a mud run than a trail run.  I AM looking forward to post race food and drinks!

What are y'all up to for the rest of the weekend?

2012-01-28 10:14 AM

User image

Emily - was thinking of you and jealous!  Hope you have a blast in the mud!

Got 10 in - wasn't pretty and it wasn't the 12 I wanted to feel ready for the half in two weeks, but ya gotta take what the day gives you.  roads were still icy, but the weather was much better.  I'm just hoping I'll bust loose in Florida because I won't be so freakin' bundled up!

2012-01-28 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4015706

User image

baby shampoo - hmmm.  I'll stick to the chlorine out stuff for after swimming then baby shampoo for after regular workouts.  good idea.

Running with a head cold/sinus thing is not bad, though I can't say how I'll feel later today! 

Mountain Bike Camp / Clinic is in nashville Indiana.

I'm buying a MTB for my birthday next month - been trying to find used, but I'm too short, there aren't a lot of used small ones out there.  Tried it once and loved it.  My friend is huge into it and is doing an Xterra here the week after our 70.3.  I just might have to do it, what the heck. Wehave a few local trails.  need to add another hook in the garage for yet another bike

2012-01-28 12:10 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

Got in a nice swim and spin class workout.  Got 50 laps in before class and stayed on the bike about 1 1/2 hours.  Way to start a Saturday morning  Now trying to replenish liquids and fueling up with a banana and an egg white ww toast sandwich.   

I really need to figure out if I'm going to upgrade to Bronze or Silver and use those training plans or use some other resource.  I'm really leaning on trying the ones on here.  I guess it's getting a plan that works with your time and execute it.  I guess it will give me some time to work out the bugs since my official HIM training won't start until June. 

Looks like my race schedule is coming together.

2012 Race Schedule So far:

May - LA Tri At Bonelli Park San Dimas, CA (1Kswim, 26.1K Bike, 8.5K Run) Not quite an oly

June - Print Tri at our local rec center

Aug - Rattlesnake Tri - Oly Aurora, CO

Sept - Denver RNR 1/2 Mary

Oct - SOMA HIM Tri at Tempe, AZ

2012-01-28 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4015960

User image

Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-28 12:10 PM

\  

I really need to figure out if I'm going to upgrade to Bronze or Silver and use those training plans or use some other resource.  I'm really leaning on trying the ones on here.  I guess it's getting a plan that works with your time and execute it.  I guess it will give me some time to work out the bugs since my official HIM training won't start until June. 

Looks like my race schedule is coming together.

2012 Race Schedule So far:

May - LA Tri At Bonelli Park San Dimas, CA (1Kswim, 26.1K Bike, 8.5K Run) Not quite an oly

Great JOB!

I went silver for the training plans and am working out the 'bugs' of moving training to the days that works for me, etc. Right now I'm following a silver OLY plan and adding some running, but as soon as my 20 weeks from HIM, I will bump up to one of the plans on BT, now that I know how to follow, use them with my log, etc.

PS Joey - I've taken your advice on the 6 smaller meals a day thing, and ate great all week.  I chose today as my free day because it happens to be my long run day anyway.  I've been using CalorieCounter on my iPhone to track my calories and activities.  Nice way to be accountable and I've felt much better (except for catching a cold). Hopefully on Monday I'll be able to report a lb of weight GONE!

2012-01-28 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4015967

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
iron_penguin - 2012-01-28 12:22 PM
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-28 12:10 PM

PS Joey - I've taken your advice on the 6 smaller meals a day thing, and ate great all week.  I chose today as my free day because it happens to be my long run day anyway.  I've been using CalorieCounter on my iPhone to track my calories and activities.  Nice way to be accountable and I've felt much better (except for catching a cold). Hopefully on Monday I'll be able to report a lb of weight GONE!

Awesome!  Look forward to the update. 

2012-01-29 7:23 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Morning, Goonies -

I was offline yesterday doing my taxes. UGH. And I skipped my workout because taxes make me crabby. But then we went out for Indian food & beer and I feel happier today.

Long run (dropback week) today - it's supposed to be in the 50s this afternoon so it should be real nice.

Thanks for the info on the DIY bondi bands! That's awesome & I need to try.
2012-01-29 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Well I survived a night on some very muddy trails!  I didn't break any bones and had only one major wipeout.  I posted a little race report in my log but I'll post it here too to save you the click.

The agony and the ecstasy.  This is by far the most ridiculous race I've ever participated in.  It was cold and dark and, as luck would have it, oh so muddy.  I finished 75/227 OA and 5/33 in the F30-39 AG.    

The highlight - there was a section of trail that ran between two reservoirs.  It was stunningly beautiful, especially on the 2nd lap after the crowd had thinned.  It was a clear night so the stars and sliver of a moon were bright in the sky and there were little bobbing dots of headlamps all along the edge of the water and peeking through the trees.  Very cool.

The lowlight - mud.  There were sections of the course that were a slippery muddy mess.  The best you could do was run through it and hope for the best.  Between mile markers 5 and 6 there was a slushy mud puddle that was ankle deep and unavoidable.  I cursed my way through it on the first loop and spent the second loop dreading spashing through it again.  The 2nd round with the puddle, my shoes filled up with slush water and my feet went instantly numb.  It took a full mile to get the feeling back.

The wipeout - only one major wipeout.  It was an icy downhill curve with a tree root/log staircase.  One minute I was on my feet and the next I was on my back.  My headlamp came off and I just laid there for a second before I realized I was in danger of being stepped on.  I wish I had it on video.  I'm sure it was graceful.

Post-race highlight - PB and J, chili, water, coffee, trail mix, banana, granola bar.  I ate everything I could get my hands on!  PB and J is by far the best post-race food I've ever had.

Post-post-race highlight - margaritas and mexican food with the tri club folks.  I think the best part about signing up for races like this is discussing the insanity over a couple of drinks.

2012-01-29 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
I had a great weekend. Saturday went out looking at waterfalls with some friends and my 3 yr old wanted me to carry him for the first mile while he "napped" and the last .3 he ran with me holding one hand because of the trail condition, then he ran 1/2 the way back. silly me, I did a 4 mile run when I got back home, now I'm sore but happy This morning I did another 22 km bike ride but something happened and my watch didn't record it. I'm sure it was operator error but discouraging nonetheless.

Kat, I like your list. let me know what you decide for your emergency bike kit, I'm thinking co2 inflator, two tire spoons, 1 inner tube, and a multi-tool, anyone else? any thoughts on which multitool?

I saw a post on the Triathlon talk Friday that someone posted a website that basically pointed out which things would take off the most time from a TT per dollar spent. Amazingly an aero helmet was tops after aero bars are added with shoe covers and skin suit next followed by tri-spoke and solid wheels. I couldn't find the post today but will post the website when I get on that computer again. Oh, and Xterra is selling last years Vortex model for $99 from their website if your still thinking about that. Anyone else have a wetsuit? probably not incredibly helpful on a sprint but there is a HIM in October that I am thinking sounds good... Anyone know what it's like swimming in 78 degree water without a wetsuit? Is it comfortable? or personal preference?
2012-01-29 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4015960

User image

Veteran
Clemson
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-28 1:10 PM

p>2012 Race Schedule So far:

Nice plan Joey. there's a lot going on there, from sprints to longer, you think it'll always be like that for you or do you think you'll find a distance you really like and stick more to that?

2012-01-29 10:01 PM

Fairfax, VA
Emily - great job on the race!

Mary - Hope you're feeling better :P ... Here you are, training with a head cold and my only excuse is: I need to clean my house! And ... other important things ... around the house ... yeah!

This is my 3rd weekend that I've slacked, and that's got to end! I've put myself a bit behind. Plus I ate a huge chocolate chip cookie from Panera today :B

2012-01-30 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Clemson
here is the bike link I promised:
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-i...
that's the thing about the bike portion, it can be so technical compared to running and swimming. but I thought this article was a really good read. I don't think I'm going to do any more for this first race but for any of you that are considering it I did see in the the main forum that someone saw an aero helmet on sale at Nashbar for less than 100.
Edit to add:
maybe I'll add duct tape to my bike repair kit also
http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/repair-maintenance/bike-repair...

Edited by coolgenes 2012-01-30 10:27 AM
2012-01-30 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hap-hap-happy Monday, Goonies!

What new and exciting things do you have in store for the new week?

I managed to bugger up my right quad - guessing I took an awkward step in the mud or it's from my fall - on Saturday night.  I took yesterday completely off but it is still hurting today.  I'm going to give it a go on the trainer tonight and see if I can manage at least an easy 30-min recovery spin.

If the leg cooperates - my goals for the week are 2 bike sessions, 1 swim session, and 20-25 miles of running.  If my leg doesn't cooperate my goal will be to take it easy and heal up.

2012-01-30 2:48 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Orion

I hope everyone is having a good Monday and is back on track from the weekend...  I took the day off of training yesterday and it felt good today at the gym.  Ran on the dreadmill for 60 min - 5.5 miles.  I know I'm slow 

The good news is - I'm 3 lbs lighter this week!!

I'm heading out to Omaha/Lincoln tomorrow morning through Friday afternoon.  I don't mind this location as I have a super sport 24hour fitness a couple blocks from my hotel.  Should be easy to get in my training, just need to focus on nutrition as last week I had a couple slip ups...  

2012-01-30 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4019097

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-30 3:48 PM

I hope everyone is having a good Monday and is back on track from the weekend...  I took the day off of training yesterday and it felt good today at the gym.  Ran on the dreadmill for 60 min - 5.5 miles.  I know I'm slow 

The good news is - I'm 3 lbs lighter this week!!

I'm heading out to Omaha/Lincoln tomorrow morning through Friday afternoon.  I don't mind this location as I have a super sport 24hour fitness a couple blocks from my hotel.  Should be easy to get in my training, just need to focus on nutrition as last week I had a couple slip ups...  

It has to be tough to eat healthy when you're on the road.  Do you have some go-to menu items?  Or do you swing by a grocery and pick up stuff that you can make for yourself?

2012-01-30 4:51 PM

Middle Tennessee

esc - Great job on the trail race!

I am still sick.  And it is still in my chest, so we are going on day 4 of no training.  Not only am I antsy and wanting to get out, I am getting worried (irrationally) about getting too far behind in training.  ARG!  Dr. said it was just a cold that settled in my chest instead of my head, and to ride it out.  uggg!

2012-01-30 5:46 PM
in reply to: #4019374

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
esc - 2012-01-30 4:28 PM

It has to be tough to eat healthy when you're on the road.  Do you have some go-to menu items?  Or do you swing by a grocery and pick up stuff that you can make for yourself?

I am staying at a Marriott Residence Inn with a full kitchen, so yes I plan to run to the store and cook my own meals this week.  With me luck to keep focused on nutrition and training!  As you can tell unhealthy food is my kryptonite

2012-01-30 6:02 PM
in reply to: #4019506

Middle Tennessee
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-30 5:46 PM
esc - 2012-01-30 4:28 PM

I am staying at a Marriott Residence Inn with a full kitchen, so yes I plan to run to the store and cook my own meals this week.  With me luck to keep focused on nutrition and training!  As you can tell unhealthy food is my kryptonite

Hey, you have a kitchen, that's half the battle, I know you can do it!

2012-01-30 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4019536

User image

Regular
Lake Orion
KatNWater - 2012-01-30 6:02 PM 

Hey, you have a kitchen, that's half the battle, I know you can do it!

Thanks Kat!  I guess having a plan is half the battle.  

2012-01-30 10:14 PM

New user

Pueblo
5 mile walk today - felt really good.  Dr. apt. on Thursdsay.  Hopefully, he will let me on my bike again.  can't wait to get on the road again.  Neck is feeling good but stiff as hell.  PT starts next week.  

2012-01-31 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4019852

User image

Veteran
Clemson
jross64 - 2012-01-30 11:14 PM

5 mile walk today - felt really good.  Dr. apt. on Thursdsay.  Hopefully, he will let me on my bike again.  can't wait to get on the road again.  Neck is feeling good but stiff as hell.  PT starts next week.  

That's great, we'll keep our fingers crossed that the Dr. goes well.
2012-01-31 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4019852

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

jross64 - 2012-01-30 11:14 PM 5 mile walk today - felt really good.  Dr. apt. on Thursdsay.  Hopefully, he will let me on my bike again.  can't wait to get on the road again.  Neck is feeling good but stiff as hell.  PT starts next week.  

I'm sure it's been a long wait to be cleared for activity.  Fingers crossed that you're back on the bike by week's end!

2012-01-31 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hey goonies - did my planned 3 mile run this morning & off to a good day...

Now if only I could be so planned & productive in my job....

(Getting off BT and Facebook once in a while would help, I know.)
2012-01-31 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4019506

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Joeyj1974 - 2012-01-30 6:46 PM

I love having a kitchen when I'm away from home.  Cheaper and healthier!  I, too, love all the bad stuff.  I do my best to avoid bringing home all the chips and beer and pizza and dounuts (and candy and ice cream and cookies...) from the store.  When I'm away from home, however, I really have to watch myself or it's all fat and sugar and no fruits and veggies.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » esc's Goonies Never Say Die mentor group - closed Rss Feed  

of 23