BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2012-04-17 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4156913

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED
jimmyb - 2012-04-17 6:31 PM

Mind over body:

Long day at work, came home tired, mentally not physically.  Went out for my treadmill run and about 5 different times I rationalized why I could stop and call it a day, yet my plan was for a 90 min run.  I pushed through this mental block and actually ended up having a great run.  I tried visualization eg. the last few miles of a tri when beating a PR as sometimes this helps.  In this case, however what really worked for me was the hottie who jumped on the elliptical next to me.  Suddenly I had energy and finished strong.   

Jim....funny!  Sounds like it was her body on your mind???   Sometimes those workouts that start poorly or I really don't want to do turn into some of the most satisfying.

Randy

2012-04-17 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4123247

User image

Massachusetts

A friend invited me to do a 5K this weekend and I agreed, thinking it would be a great way to hang out with her (and get my run in). Later I realized that something significant has changed in me -- I no longer think of 5K as an intimidating distance.  

Also, yesterday in Boston it was close to 90 degrees, so I grabbed my new wetsuit and headed to the beach. I made a bit of an impulse buy on those 50% off Xterra Vortex 4 suits -- and I'm psyched that I did because my first tri is in June in the ocean and I am going to be warm and toasty. I could have stayed in the water for an hour yesterday --- in APRIL! This will go a long way in giving some piece of mind for my season opener, which is 10 weeks away.  ::grin::

2012-04-18 5:50 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jen-good news on the 5K and the wetsuit test.  Always good to spend some time in the wetsuit before using in a race. Some people eel so confined or restricted in a wetsuit that it causes them to panic.  Glad you had a good swim.

Swim workout planned for today at lunch.  Hope everyone has a good day.

Randy

2012-04-18 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4156930

User image

Regular
Edinburg
Woodrowcall: Glad you got that rite of passage out of the way. Unlike you mine came when the maximum amount of people could witness it. 5PM rush hour near a busy intersection. At least they had something to talk about around the supper table.
2012-04-18 9:32 AM

User image

Massachusetts

I've got a training log question. 

I'm following a the BT 16 week Sprint 3x week training plan, doing my best to just focus on volume. So when I have a bad day (or sometimes, just an average day) and I end up walking for part of the run, I'm not sure what the best approach would be.

Today's plan was a 17 min run. For various reasons, I couldn't hack it today and walked about half of it.   

In the future should I count minutes walking as "run" minutes, or should I log them separately? 

Also, if my plan says 17 minutes is it worth it to take a break and continue running? If so, my workout ends up looking more like a 25-30 minute workout, including warm up and cool down.  Is this defeating the purpose of the short run? At my level, I'm not at risk of over training, but I'm curious what others do as you increase volume over time. 

2012-04-18 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4157916

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jen2012 - 2012-04-18 10:32 AM

I've got a training log question. 

I'm following a the BT 16 week Sprint 3x week training plan, doing my best to just focus on volume. So when I have a bad day (or sometimes, just an average day) and I end up walking for part of the run, I'm not sure what the best approach would be.

Today's plan was a 17 min run. For various reasons, I couldn't hack it today and walked about half of it.   

In the future should I count minutes walking as "run" minutes, or should I log them separately? 

Also, if my plan says 17 minutes is it worth it to take a break and continue running? If so, my workout ends up looking more like a 25-30 minute workout, including warm up and cool down.  Is this defeating the purpose of the short run? At my level, I'm not at risk of over training, but I'm curious what others do as you increase volume over time. 

I would just count them as run minutes . No need to split hairs. You are doing the walking as part of your run and I personally would count them as "run". And, yes, I would run the full 17 minutes with a walk break, even if it took me to 25-30 minutes total. I would be looking to increase my run fitness and that seems like a good way to do it.

2012-04-18 5:25 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-need some help on sunglasses.  Anyone have a particular brand or type that they like for running/triathlons. I have a pair of old Nike sunglasses that I usually use when biking.  My race helmet has a visor so I don't ususally wear glasses in races and I wear a visor when running.  I would like to try using sunglasses for running/racing.  I've looked a bit online and there seem to be lots to choose from.  Do you run/race in sunglasses?  What do you like?

Thanks

Randy

2012-04-18 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Got home after 830 pm, long day at work.  Still had a brick session to do - hard bike then run.  I don't know where all my energy came from but I freakin' nailed it!!!  One of my best runs after a bike.  This is progress!!!! 
2012-04-18 10:43 PM

User image

Expert

Ok, I've got a topic I'd like to discuss.  Bricks.  How often do you incorporate bricks?  Do you do them as true bricks eg immediate transition?  This makes the most sense for simulating race conditions.  I know of one athlete who always made a point of running after the bike, even if for just a quarter mile as he said it helped train his muscles to get used to the transition.  Do you always do them in the S/B/R order?  From my own experience, I've done them in all different orders but believe that doing the swim last leads to a very ineffective swim with poor form, thus I try not to do this. 

Appreciate your insights!

2012-04-19 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey gang.  Very quick checkin to let you know I am still alive.  End of semester is killing me!  I'll actually have some time tonight to chill out and read through the past couple of pages.  Sorry until then...
2012-04-19 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4159575

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
jimmyb - 2012-04-18 11:43 PM

Ok, I've got a topic I'd like to discuss.  Bricks.  How often do you incorporate bricks?  Do you do them as true bricks eg immediate transition?  This makes the most sense for simulating race conditions.  I know of one athlete who always made a point of running after the bike, even if for just a quarter mile as he said it helped train his muscles to get used to the transition.  Do you always do them in the S/B/R order?  From my own experience, I've done them in all different orders but believe that doing the swim last leads to a very ineffective swim with poor form, thus I try not to do this. 

I've been wondering the same exact thing. Again, I have no expertise in tri as of yet, but I've realized that I'm capable of more than my training program requires, so I'm just doing what I can now. Last night, I did 2,000 meters in the pool and then ran 4 miles on the treadmill. I didn't do a quick transition, but there was probably about 10 minutes between. Even more than the training for race conditions is the fact that I don't see how people get in the time/miles without frequent bricks. I'm taking at most one day off between work-outs, and I'm only training for a Sprint tri. I really like the brick workouts I've done so far, which have just been a few, because I feel like that's where I'm getting the real feeling of distance, both time and actual distance.

2012-04-19 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4158122

User image

Massachusetts

[

I would just count them as run minutes . No need to split hairs. You are doing the walking as part of your run and I personally would count them as "run". And, yes, I would run the full 17 minutes with a walk break, even if it took me to 25-30 minutes total. I would be looking to increase my run fitness and that seems like a good way to do it.

Thanks, Jason. That all makes sense.

2012-04-19 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4159575

User image

Master
South Alabama
jimmyb - 2012-04-18 10:43 PM

I probably average 1 brick b/r a week.  Typically they are fairly short runs....15-20 minutes.  I think it is important to know how your legs will feel coming off the bike but I am a little skeptical about "training" your legs to perform better off the bike.  May be more of a "mental" training as a person becomes more comfortable with how the legs will feel.  I will do a fairly hard brick Sunday a week out from my olympic race.  An hour bike building to hard/race pace over the last 30 minutes then 30 minute run building to hard/race pace.  I'll feel it after that workout and it should give me an idea of where I stand going into the following weekend.  I think you get alot more out of a hard brick workout than just running after a moderate bike ride.....big difference in how the legs feel. Typically, I will only do these hard bricks heading into a race......hopefully they get my mind ready for how much the run is going to suck....

Randy

2012-04-19 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4159172

Hudson Valley Region
slornow - 2012-04-18 6:25 PM

Hey gang-need some help on sunglasses.  Anyone have a particular brand or type that they like for running/triathlons. I have a pair of old Nike sunglasses that I usually use when biking.  My race helmet has a visor so I don't ususally wear glasses in races and I wear a visor when running.  I would like to try using sunglasses for running/racing.  I've looked a bit online and there seem to be lots to choose from.  Do you run/race in sunglasses?  What do you like?

I have a pair of inexpensive Ironman brand sunglasses. I got them from Sports Authority for $20.  They have a rubberized, flexible frame which is why I bought them (in addition to the cost, and they also look good). Foster Grant makes them but they are an older model so I can't find them on their site.

I am death to sunglasses so I don't spend a lot for them. These have held up well for the past 1.5 years. I actually sat on them for about two miles during my last ride. I had hooked them through the hole in my saddle. No damage to me or the glasses :-)

I wear sunglasses on the bike to keep bugs out of my eyes and to keep from tearing up so, my requirements are low.

2012-04-19 8:17 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Just to clarify....I only consider a brick to be a workout where I do one sport and then as quickly as possible transition to another.  I frequently do what I call "doubles" where I do more than one workout in a day.  For instance tomorrow I will swim at lunch then bike in the evening.  Given the gap in time I don't classify that as a brick.

Randy

2012-04-19 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Randy - I have a cheap pair of $5 Sunglasses from Walmart that almost look like a pair of Oakleys. I am also looking for a decent pair and have tried on some Oakleys in the store and they seem to be very comfortable. its just a matter of convincing the wife to spend $200 -$300 on a pair of sunglasses that I will most likely lose in a few weeks. :-)

Jimmy - I am usually incorporating a brick workout once a week. Most of the time I stay with the S/B/R order. I usually leave the pool, get dried up, walk to the car to grab my bike and get going. That time can be anywhere between 10-15 minutes. once I get back from the ride I put the bike back in the car and only run maybe a mile or two.

2012-04-19 9:56 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I can't stop buying sunglasses. I hate being outside in the sun without them so I have lots and lots.

My favorites; a pair of Oakleys I got last year for half price. They are super comfortable and not too dark but they really cut down the glare. I am not sure I would have paid full price for them but at half price I am glad I bought them. I really do think the Oakleys are "that good".

Second favorite, and I have four pairs of these, are a pair of $4.99 Berkley polarized that I bought at Walmart (In the fishing/sporting goods section). They have several different colors and styles and even though they look the same they are not. The tortoise shell ones with the brown lenses have really good optics and are just great glasses. The black ones with the grey lenses are not nearly as good in my opinion. I have a pair in both of our cars and in each of my gym bags. For $5 they cannot be beat and stay on just fine for my bikes and runs.

I have Rudy Project glasses that I am OK with but not wowed by. I have a pair of Peppers brand glasses that I have had for years and still like to wear on occasion. I have a pair of the foster-grant IM brand that work ok.

Hope this helps.
2012-04-19 10:04 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
As far as brick workouts go, I sort of differentiate between transition runs and bricks.

A transition run is a short 1-3 mile run off of the bike just to get used to what my legs feel like coming off of the bike. I do this as much as three times/week some weeks. I really do think it has helped me wrap my mind around how my legs should feel when transitioning from the bike to run. It also has made me realize that even if my legs feel like jello, if I just keep turning them over they will usually feel pretty much OK by mile one of the run.

Bricks are a true bike workout followed by a run workout of variable duration. This is really just two separate workouts linked together. I recognize that the run workout will usually suffer because of the bike that precedes it but I like the mental aspect of getting used to the suffer involved. It also is time-efficient which can make a big difference in getting both workouts in.

On both types of workouts, I try to make my transition from bike to run in less than a minute. I have my shoes sitting at the ready, I am off the bike and running as fast as I can. It helps me get in some T2 practice as well.

It may not be the right way, but it is how I have been doing it.
2012-04-19 10:23 AM
in reply to: #4160328

User image

Master
South Alabama

wannabefaster - 2012-04-19 10:04 AM As far as brick workouts go, I sort of differentiate between transition runs and bricks. A transition run is a short 1-3 mile run off of the bike just to get used to what my legs feel like coming off of the bike. I do this as much as three times/week some weeks. I really do think it has helped me wrap my mind around how my legs should feel when transitioning from the bike to run. It also has made me realize that even if my legs feel like jello, if I just keep turning them over they will usually feel pretty much OK by mile one of the run. Bricks are a true bike workout followed by a run workout of variable duration. This is really just two separate workouts linked together. I recognize that the run workout will usually suffer because of the bike that precedes it but I like the mental aspect of getting used to the suffer involved. It also is time-efficient which can make a big difference in getting both workouts in. On both types of workouts, I try to make my transition from bike to run in less than a minute. I have my shoes sitting at the ready, I am off the bike and running as fast as I can. It helps me get in some T2 practice as well. It may not be the right way, but it is how I have been doing it.

THIS! I am in agreement with Jason....he does a much better job of putting it into words.  Yeah, the legs always feel out of sorts for the first half mile or so but usually come around.  I just concentrate on leg/stride turnover and try to shoot for a little slower pace for the first mile and build into the run.

Randy

2012-04-19 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Sorry I've been a bit absent recently.  Quick MEGA congrats to Dewayne and Jason in your races!  Dewayne, I'm glad to know I'm not the only senior citizen in the group ;-)  Jason, like your mojo... and they'll be talking about this Boston Marathon for years - from the race reports I've read this was one to survive - people who wanted to break 3 hours coming in at 4+, etc.

Thanks for asking the sunglasses question, Randy... been thinking about finally getting a pair.  I'll probably go the Walmart approach.  Sadly, it doesn't look like I'll need them for this weekend.  Looks like rain instead... maybe I'll just wear my goggles throughout the race :-)

Bricks.  I do them out of time necessity - usually 2-3 miles after bike class.  I think it has helped - can't say if it is more psychological or physical though.  I'll do a tri workout every now and then too... though with 5 minutes or so between the swim and the bike.  I also like to swim after a hard workout to cool down a bit, but I almost always start having massive foot cramps after about 800 yards or so.  But it is refreshing... just wouldn't attempt a OWS or it might be my last workout :-)

Have a great day everyone... I'm waiting for the clouds to part and then I'm going to bike/run.

Cheers,

Stu

2012-04-19 12:35 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey Stu-hope things clear up for your race this weekend.  Anyone else racing?

Did not have a swim workout planned today but wanted to get out of the office for a few minutes.  Decided to do some "testing" to see where I am as compared to early December when I last tested.  For my test I will do 3X300 yards on 30 seconds rest.  In December I came in at 4:57/54/48 for a 1:36.67 average per 100.  Today the 300's were 4:43/43/37 for 1:33.67.  I figured I would improve since I had taken some time off from swimming in October and November of last year.  But, hey I'm pleased with the improvement.  I don't think that I've become that much better of a swimmer but maybe my overall fitness is a bit better and perhaps I was more willing to suffer a bit. The last 200 yards were tough and I thought my form had deteriorated a good bit.....really surprised that the last set was faster than the first two.

Short ride and run on tap for this evening.

Randy  

2012-04-19 1:37 PM

User image

Regular
Edinburg
Duathlon (relay division) on Saturday a.m. My GF is doing the shorty 6.6 mile bike, and I'll bookend with the 2 runs of 2.3 miles. We are guaranteed not to podium but it should be fun.
2012-04-19 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4160781

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
slornow - 2012-04-19 1:35 PM

In December I came in at 4:57/54/48 for a 1:36.67 average per 100.  Today the 300's were 4:43/43/37 for 1:33.67.  I figured I would improve since I had taken some time off from swimming in October and November of last year.  But, hey I'm pleased with the improvement.  I don't think that I've become that much better of a swimmer but maybe my overall fitness is a bit better and perhaps I was more willing to suffer a bit. The last 200 yards were tough and I thought my form had deteriorated a good bit.....really surprised that the last set was faster than the first two.  

Sweet. Every second of improvement counts in the swim. Nice work.
2012-04-19 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4160975

User image

Master
South Alabama

stexfjr - 2012-04-19 1:37 PMDuathlon (relay division) on Saturday a.m. My GF is doing the shorty 6.6 mile bike, and I'll bookend with the 2 runs of 2.3 miles. We are guaranteed not to podium but it should be fun.

Dewayne-sounds like fun!

Randy

Edited by slornow 2012-04-19 8:29 PM
2012-04-19 8:30 PM

User image

Master
There's a GEAR adventure race this weekend, but no sitter. Cry
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 100