BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 100

2012-12-14 5:29 AM
in reply to: #4123247

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED

Good morning everyone-traveling today so no workout until this evening.

I have made it through the first 4 segments of the swim seminar links that I posted yesterday. Starts a little slow but some really good stuff so far.  Some of the suggestions/instructions are contrary to "accepted" wisdom about swimming. Each segment/link is about 9 minutes. Plan to watch the rest over the weekend. One interesting point made was that no one should be swimming with paddles until they are swimming a mile in under 20 minutes. Reasoning was along the lines of...lack of strength is not what is keeping someone from swimming fast its problems with technique. Swimming with paddles just contributes to reinforcing poor technique.  I use paddles w/ pull buoy every session so I may make an adjustment and just do pull sets without the paddles. Another suggestion is using an ankle strap for some swimmining.  I have done this off and on over the last 2-3 years and been doing it more regularly lately. It is really HARD but a great way to work on stroke. There was alot more........the information in the videos is really good so take a look!

Randy  

2012-12-14 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

I will have to look at those videos before I am leaving for the pool in a few minutes.

I came to the realization today that I have it pretty good ... I work 4 days 10 hours per day and have Friday, Saturday and Sunday off every week. I always try to get a lot of training in on Friday but I never do. I get so distracted with stuff around the house that I always end up doing half of what I wanted to do in the first place. One of my goals for next season is to use my time training more efficiently. 

My knee still hurts and I have another week to go until I see the Doc. I got on the trainer last night and easily spun for 30 minutes. Didn't feel my knee at all during the time on the trainer and luckily it didn't feel worse when I got off. That is a good thing as I am gaining weight rapidly. I think I am going to start a weightlifting routine since I can go out for a run or hard bike. 

I just read an article in Triathlete Magazine "Macca's Musings". For you not familiar with it Chris McCormack writes a column for the magazine that is always a very interesting read. I love that article as it put a lot of things into perspective. Its called "More than winning - A purpose greater than myself  helps me push on after a disappointing race." I took a quote out of that article and made it my signature and I will try to live  by that quote. 

"I did the best I could do today. I will try to make my tomorrow best even better!"

I hope all of you have a great weekend (training or not) and I will get ready to swim some laps ... 

2012-12-14 6:11 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Hey there gang!  This is another drive-by posting from Michael.  We have just two kids tonight -- my parents are taking the three youngest (that's still a strange thing for me to say...going from 3 to 5 suddenly has still not sunk in) and I'm taking advantage of a few free moments.

I can't hope to catch up with you all, but I am hoping that we will have something like a semi-normal routine in our house by Jan. 1.  Hopefully I can check in more regularly after that.  I do miss checking in with you all!

Although I had hardly trained and got sick earlier in the week, I did manage to run a half marathon last Saturday.  It was at the beach, and while the race was certainly fun (1:24:45 -- not bad for an old guy who hadn't trained!) the real joy was that the new children really seemed to enjoy themselves and to be part of the family.  There are many rocks ahead in the road, but it was nice to see them relaxed and having fun.  Kids are amazing.

Here's wishing a wonderful holidays to you all.  I hope to be more like semi-regular after the New Year!

2012-12-14 6:56 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael-great to hear from you. Nice job at the HM. Hope to see you checking in more often as time allows!

Randy 

2012-12-15 9:37 AM
in reply to: #4536011

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Great to hear from you, Michael, and great job at the HM! Hang in there!

Edited by WoodrowCall 2012-12-15 9:38 AM
2012-12-15 7:40 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Finished up a high volume (at least for me) swim week today. 11,700 yards. Had dreaded the week and swim sets but, scary to say, I actually enjoyed the swim workouts. I can see how adding an extra swim workout can help improve feel for the water. Not sure I want to do this every week but my times in my sets today were better than expected despite some muscle fatigue from the added volume.

Tomorrow is an easy bike for 30-45 minutes and then I'm going to go for a 10-15 minute run and see how my calf is. I've given it 3 weeks off so hopefully I'll be able to resume some easy running next week.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Randy 

2012-12-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4536573

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

Still getting over sickness, but am looking forward to hopping on the bike tomorrow. 23 mile loop with Jamie near the local Air Force base.

I just emailed one of the local Masters swim coaches to see if I can join the team at the YMCA. I'm hoping I can get my technique and speed up with the help of a coach/other swimmers. Recently, I've had a really hard time of getting the motivation to get myself to the pool and I'm hopeful that joining a team will at least force me to get my swim workouts in.

Anyone else tried this strategy? 

Hope training and life is going well for everyone!

-Nate

2012-12-16 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

How is everyone doing? I went on a 24 mile bike ride yesterday and my knee slightly hurt when going uphill. I can't wait for next Friday when I see the Doc. I need this taken care off ... its getting on my nerves ... I want to train ... 

Sitting on the couch and watching Football ... got some yard work done earlier. 

2012-12-16 3:14 PM

User image

Expert

Mike- hope your knee heals quickly.

Randy - nice job on the swimming.  I do find that the more I swim, the more I actually I seem to enjoy it.

Finally feel like I had a real decent workout today.  3000 yds in the pool followed by a 7 mile run.  Enjoyed my weekend off with my oldest son Kyle home for the holidays after his first term in college.

2012-12-16 3:26 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Rene- how did the half marathon go today?

I spent almost five hours today with Sheila Taormina trying to learn how to fix my swim. She is extremely energetic and dynamic. If you ever have the opportunity to attend a clinic with her I would highly recommend it.

Also over two hours in the pool, mostly doing drills and some underwater video. Overall the stroke is mostly ok but I am dropping my right elbow and almost putting the brakes on with every stroke cycle. She tells me that if I can clean that up I will be able to drop some serious time off my swim.

I actually purchased a Halo bench contraption that she highly endorses. It is supposed to help you groove your stroke on dry land. Here's hoping. Merry Christmas to me. I am going to put it together tonight and see how it works.
2012-12-16 7:32 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-I've looked at the Halo product several times. Can't wait to hear what you think of it. Any nuggets of wisdom from the clinic?

Pretty easy day today. Easy spin then 15 minute run. Fortunately, the calf held up fine. So, hoping to get several short easy runs in this week.

Randy

2012-12-17 12:22 AM

User image

Master
Nate: Hope you feel better soon. I actually train with a swim team. They don't compete (being a military base facility they can't... not sure why), but they have mock swim meets every last Friday of the month. It's where I learned how to swim so quickly. Basically, it's swim or get swum over! I'm always so anxious about how I'm going to do, because I know it's going to be super hard, but in the end, it's way more structured swimming than I'd ever get on my own or with a friend. It helps to see real swimmers swim too.

Mike: Sorry about the knee pain! Hope you find someway to deal with it at your appointment.

Jim: Awesome workout!

I've been sick most of this week. Was totally bummed to only have gotten two runs in and some core work. Tummy bug at the beginning of the weekend, then a nasty cold over the weekend that I"m still dealing with. Blech. Missed out on a ride through the Xterra course yesterday because it was raining.

Oh well! It's new week. I'll get recovered and back at it. Nice thing about getting sick like that is that I shouldn't get sick again for a long while. Yay!
2012-12-17 5:50 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Blanda-hope you feel better. Double whammy with the stomach bug and cold.

I'm traveling today and have a tough bike workout to look forward to this evening.

Hard to believe Christmas is only a week away. Have a good Monday all!

Randy

2012-12-17 12:22 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Have not used the Halo yet but I may try to get it out tonight.

No real nuggets from the swim clinic--just the same stuff that you always hear about catch and pull. She is pretty much presenting a synopsis of her book. The real difference is that after she tells you what to do she puts you in the pool and forces you to do all of the drills that (I) would normally ignore. Well, the drills must do something because my shoulders, neck, scapulae, etc are screaming at me this morning. I was obviously swimming differently than I normally do and my body knows it. I think if I could get about four weeks of 2-3 x/week with this kind of coaching it would make a huge difference.... and cost at lot of $ as well. Not able to make it happen.

I went to the pool this morning and repeated all of the drills. 2000 yards of almost all drills. Obviously I was much slower this way but it really allowed me to concentrate on form. At the end I did a 100 hard but not all out and went 1:24 which is faster than I have been swimming. Something is different. My plan is to cut out the "workouts" for the next couple weeks and just do drills/technique focus to try to re groove my stroke. I will keep you posted.
2012-12-17 7:41 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey gang-looks like we have been archived. New mentor groups should be starting soon. Thanks to everyone for being a part of the group. Everyone is welcome to join Jason and I in the next group. Don't feel obligated to stick with us though...alot can be learned by meeting new folks through the mentor groups. I suspect we will add quite a few new members as we have lost several along the way. For those that may not rejoin or may become a part of another group...thanks for providing us with the opportunity to share in your journey.  I try to check in on folks I have met over the years so stay in touch.

Randy   

2012-12-17 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton
Randy - Thanks for all the help you guys provided us ... I'll be back .... 

2012-12-17 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy & Michael-Thanks for all the help this year; it's really been invaluable! Expect me in the next group for the Spring.
2012-12-21 6:48 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be so scarce recently.  Just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a wonderful holiday season (or end of the world depending on what those Mayans have planned).  Hope everyone is able to have some relaxing down time with their families.

Many, many thanks to Randy and Michael for leading the group.  Really appreciated their wisdom as well as everyone else's perspectives in the group!

Happy holidays!

Stu

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior and Slornow's Spring/Summer Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 100